Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo says is won’t happen Punters make it a 72% further restrictions will come in this year – politi

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

43k cases.....

Where ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,658
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Alabama governor says ‘it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks’ as pandemic worsens
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/23/alabama-governor-covid-vaccinations-500638

In fairness quite a few of us have been doing that for some time.
    Most of us aren't Republican governors in the deep south.
    (Though I'm not entirely sure about @MrEd .)

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Pulpstar said:

43k cases.....

Where ?
    I have corrected.....i misread the dashboard.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Last Friday did anyone think the cases would have fallen this much?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    So what we need to do is just ban footy and keep rugrats from going to school and we have this covid lark licked....

More seriously, the test will be another week or so as we see the further relaxations like nightclub reopenings filtering through.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,758
    Good thread on the latest COVID data:

Taken together with the vaccination data, it is very clear that in the UK COVID-19 is still mainly affecting immune naive people

Delta cases (99% of cases in England ) are occurring in people with NO previous infection (99%) & who are NOT fully vaccinated (86%)

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1418567528322945031?s=20
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    edited July 2021

eek said:

On Northern Ireland.

There are two separate issues here.

1. Is the agreement itself. It clearly doesn’t work, was never likely to work, and is punitive to GB-NI trade which from memory is the great a majority of trade relating to NI.

It urgently needs to replaced, and given that the U.K. has conceded a regulatory border in its own territory I have much sympathy with @Charles and @Philip_Thompson’s solutions which is effectively to leave it to the U.K. to police by exception.

2. Is the brazen bad faith of Johnson to:
    a) agree an unworkable deal
    b) ignore predictable warnings on said deal
    c) sell it to the country as “oven-ready”
    d) lie that it would avoid any kind of border between GB and NI
    e) u-turn on all of the above and blame the remainer parliament for making him do it.*

The EU are not innocent in this affair.
    They will need to move, if they care about the people on the island of Ireland.

But it is hard for them to do so as well when Boris and “Frosty” are pissing on their leg and telling them it is raining.

Remainers need to be more acute in their criticisms of the NIP. Leavers need to be more aware that Boris’s “Millwall diplomacy” is likely to be sub-optimal.

*Boris created his own trap by trashing May’s (better) deal; and refusing to concede any further delays. He therefore left new deal or no deal on the table, and Parliament was naturally keen to avoid a ruinous and democratically obscene “no deal”.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except that I think what you call "Millwall diplomacy" is the only thing the EU will listen to. Which makes it regrettably optional.

If they won't move without Frosty pissing on their leg, then Frosty pissing on their leg may not be elegant or pretty, but it works.
    Have the EU moved, as otherwise all Frosty has done is pee them off.
    Don't forget that Frosty battered the EU into agreeing to Johnson's "oven-ready" deal, so Phil must be right.
    We don't know why the EU needed to be battered into agreeing the deal.

Its possible the EU kept on saying, you know this doesn't work, whack (from Frosty), you know this doesn't work, whack (from Frosty), you know this doesn't work, whack (from Frosty), until final the EU just went - OK we've tried to warn you but if you insist.....

I've had IT projects that go exactly like that - the only thing you can do in such circumstances is make sure the issues you've highlighted are documented and in the project plan for when reality hits just before or after go live...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

You know that deal I negotiated with you, well I know it's working perfectly for you but it's not working for us, can we change it?

When put like that it highlights exactly what the problem is and why it's going to be so hard to fix.

The Tories looking for a second go of the Brexit deal should get the same response as when we wanted a second go of the referendum.

It’s done, you won, get over it x

https://twitter.com/BenKellyTweets/status/1418292762382901249
    But this doesn’t really help anyone.
    Except make Remainers feel good about themselves, of course.

Labour needs to attach Boris on both lying (about the deal) and incompetence (the deal sucks), but agree the deal must be negotiated and it will do a better job as more competent and trustworthy negotiating partner.

Labour should also point out that it is entirely in Ireland’s interests especially that a more durable arrangement can be found.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

On Northern Ireland.

1. Is the agreement itself. It clearly doesn’t work, was never likely to work, and is punitive to GB-NI trade which from memory is the great a majority of trade relating to NI.

It urgently needs to replaced, and given that the U.K. has conceded a regulatory border in its own territory I have much sympathy with @Charles and @Philip_Thompson’s solutions which is effectively to leave it to the U.K. to police by exception.

e) u-turn on all of the above and blame the remainer parliament for making him do it.*

But it is hard for them to do so as well when Boris and “Frosty” are pissing on their leg and telling them it is raining.

Remainers need to be more acute in their criticisms of the NIP. Leavers need to be more aware that Boris’s “Millwall diplomacy” is likely to be sub-optimal.

*Boris created his own trap by trashing May’s (better) deal; and refusing to concede any further delays. He therefore left new deal or no deal on the table, and Parliament was naturally keen to avoid a ruinous and democratically obscene “no deal”.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except that I think what you call "Millwall diplomacy" is the only thing the EU will listen to. Which makes it regrettably optional.

If they won't move without Frosty pissing on their leg, then Frosty pissing on their leg may not be elegant or pretty, but it works.
    Oh, I had forgotten, because Brexit seems so long ago. We hold all the cards, don't we?
    Yes! So long as we're prepared to wield them we absolutely do.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Taken together with the vaccination data, it is very clear that in the UK COVID-19 is still mainly affecting immune naive people

Delta cases (99% of cases in England ) are occurring in people with NO previous infection (99%) & who are NOT fully vaccinated (86%)

Makes that Israel data look even more of an outlier. Also puts the anecdotal stories on here of all the double jabbed people they know who have caught covid in perspective.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Everyone does negotiate international treaties in that way. Look at the Swiss, they've been renegotiating and in dispute as to how treaties operate for decades.

Johnson is acting to represent the UK's best interest not the EU's. That's how every country operates around the globe.

Putting a border down the Irish Sea is acting to represent "the UK's best interest" how exactly?

It is doing precisely the opposite. It is undermining the UK.
    Perhaps it may not be the best for NI but I would say that it was the best for England and since England is 84% of the UK, while NI is 3% of the UK, that made the best deal for England the best deal for the UK.

Now that England has what it wants (trade deal, out of the EU, paralysis over) now its time to sort out the EU.

Its a bit like the Pareto Principle in action. NI is 3% of the UK but was causing 80% of the dispute, while England is over 80% of the UK but was causing minimal dispute. So get what you want for England first, then tackle NI afterwards.
    Might be the best for England? Were the English asked whether they wanted the entity that they have been a part of for some time so recklessly torn apart? Best for England in your mind but not objectively "best for England".
    There's no such thing as objective. Subjectively best for England - and as an objective measurement I do believe that in the first Meaningful Vote most English MPs rejected May's deal while most English MPs accepted Boris's, so looks objectively like they collectively decided it was better too.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

64 deaths (84 yesterday)
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Good article from Finlan O'Toole, linked earlier, and good precis from @Gardenwalker on NI.

I must say my faith in the good intentions of the EU towards the island of Ireland have been severely shaken with vaccine border-gate but yes, at its core, the UK chose to separate out NI from GB rather than align with the EU. And yes, Boris is a useless, solipsistic, lying, ignorant twat*.

What does the asterisk signify, pray? A new and improved Mark of twat, or what?
    Ha yes sorry I was going to add that I am using this in the sense of not being part of a woman's body because that is not the common usage of twat imo whereas some think that it is a direct reference.
    Thank you; I am illuminated. Actually, I wonder if the PB keyboard has a male zoological symbol on it (= astrological Mars symbol)? That would be quite helpful.
    Of course I hesitate to google the word "twat".
    There is always Twatt in Orkney. Which, as Wikipedia helpfully explains at once, is "Not to be confused with Twatt, Shetland." I think we discussed that particular variety on PB a few years back - including the fact that it was a Fleet Air Arm base, under that name: RNAS Twatt.
    The etymological derivation of twat is "clearing in a forest" (the same as the placename Thwaite) which I always find amusing.
    Robert Browning also used it, thinking it was another word for a nun’s wimple:

‘Then owls and bats
    Cowls and twats
    Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
    Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry.’
    Does that mean he married one of the Barratts of T**t Street?

I know, I know. I used to work in a building on the corner of Queen Annes St. and Wimpole St.
    Magpie Lane at the back of Oriel used to be called something a bit more graphic than that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,608
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, me. And I was ridiculed on here.
    I did too. Was also told it was "unlikely" by the smartest guy in the room. Football ending + schools closing was inevitably going to result in a drop off in cases.
  • Options

Freddie Sayers
    @freddiesayers
    Collision symbolTrump insider
    @JasonMillerinDC
    , who spoke to the former president yesterday, tells me that the chances of him running in 2024 have gone up in recent weeks, from 50/50 to more like 2 to 1.

New interview up now at
    @UnHerd

https://twitter.com/freddiesayers/status/1418587641734443011

and yes they've written the odds wrong - it's 1:2 (66% chance) that Trump will run up from evens,.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

So what we need to do is just ban footy and keep rugrats from going to school and we have this covid lark licked....

More seriously, the test will be another week or so as we see the further relaxations like nightclub reopenings filtering through.

On the topic of football, Ryan Giggs sounds quite the charmer in his private life.

I’ve a feeling he’ll soon be finding employment opportunities as few and far between as they are for Johnny Depp.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Cases continuing to look good.
    (Multicoloured graph extended backwards to May 3rd, which was the lowest point and the very start of the wave):

Nice chunky fall week-on-week.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

On the topic of football, Ryan Giggs sounds quite the charmer in his private life.

I’ve a feeling he’ll soon be finding employment opportunities as few and far between as they are for Johnny Depp.
    Who would have guessed it given his previous.....

Does he still have his stake in Salford FC?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Is it just me concerned that today's figure is suspiciously round?

EDIT: Oops, misread, that's the first vaccine dose figure - but still, that's suspiciously round.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

Wow!

Daily 36,389
    Last 7 days 309,742 up 31,747 (11.4%)

Not out of the woods yet....but not going deeper into them either.....so far....

By Monday we should be seeing week on week falls. Probably pretty slow and a tad erratic at first but the right direction.
  • Options

36,389 is round?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I did too. Was also told it was "unlikely" by the smartest guy in the room. Football ending + schools closing was inevitably going to result in a drop off in cases.
    We have to hope that Delta has now burned itself out, because if it hasn’t cases will start rising again in a week or so’s time.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

On Northern Ireland.

Oh, I had forgotten, because Brexit seems so long ago. We hold all the cards, don't we?
    We clearly don’t.

The more we piss off the EU with bad faith approaches, the more likely a tit for tat on other areas that are useful to us.

However we do hold one major card which is we are on the ground in Northern Ireland, and we control the “facts on the ground” to some extent. We have to be able to reach a durable solution, as does Ireland.

The EU merely needs to make sure the risks around smuggling etc are adequately and proportionately managed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

36,389 is round?
    Which of those numbers has a straight line, like 1 or 4?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

36,389 is round?
    43,000 for first doses, I misread the dashboard.

But still - 43,000 is an incredibly round number of first doses isn't it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

Not out of the woods yet....but not going deeper into them either.....so far....

By Monday we should be seeing week on week falls. Probably pretty slow and a tad erratic at first but the right direction.
    Today is a week-on-week fall.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,021

Labour needs to attach Boris on both lying (about the deal) and incompetence (the deal sucks), but agree the deal must be negotiated and it will do a better job as more competent and trustworthy negotiating partner.

Labour should also point out that it is entirely in Ireland’s interests especially that a more durable arrangement can be found.

There is a more durable solution, but you're not gonna like it...
  • Options

EDIT: Oops, misread, that's the first vaccine dose figure - but still, that's suspiciously round.

It doesn't include the Welsh which will make it twisted enough.
  • Options

On Northern Ireland.

We clearly don’t.

The more we piss off the EU with bad faith approaches, the more likely a tit for tat on other areas that are useful to us.

However we do hold one major card which is we are on the ground in Northern Ireland and we have to reach a durable solution, as does Ireland.

The EU merely needs to make sure the risks around smuggling etc are adequately and proportionately managed.
    The fact that we are on the ground and they're not is precisely why we hold all the cards.

We just need to be prepared to wield that as essentially a veto and there's little they can do but to accept that reality.

If they respond to us essentially vetoing any alternative solution like the NI Protocol then what are they going to do? If they erect border posts in Ireland they've done that and made matters worse from the Irish perspective. If they don't, they've given us what we wanted and shown the NI Protocol is unnecessary.

They have no winning move, so long as we're prepared to stand our ground it is checkmate.
  • Options

Who would have guessed it given his previous.....

Does he still have his stake in Salford FC?
    There’s a difference between playing away from home, and the kind of coercive abuse he’s alleged to have perpetrated.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

If you have graduated from a top global university then you will be free to move to the UK without a job offer under the new 'High Potential Individual Visa'.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Dumitriu/status/1418559832949460997?s=20

That's a brilliant idea. Do it
    It is a good idea in general, but probably needs refining. There are better ways to test high potential than just where someone went to University, which in most parts of the world is largely a function of how well off your parents are.
    That's largely true. But does it matter in practical terms for the UK?

Three main groups:
    1. Rich and smart - seems fine to let them in
    2. Poor and smart - likewise, they'll likely get a decent job and contribute. These in fact probably the most impressive/most potential individuals as they overcame obstacles to do well
    3. Rich and stupid - well, they'll blend in well enough and might as well spend their money stupidly here as anywhere
    (Group 4, poor and stupid are pretty much excluded by the went to top university thing)
    I don’t think we can take your last point as a given. Richard Burgon keeps parading his humble origins and was at Cambridge.
    He went to St Johns, so he was not exactly advantaged.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

If you have graduated from a top global university then you will be free to move to the UK without a job offer under the new 'High Potential Individual Visa'.

It is a good idea in general, but probably needs refining. There are better ways to test high potential than just where someone went to University, which in most parts of the world is largely a function of how well off your parents are.

Three main groups:
    2. Poor and smart - likewise, they'll likely get a decent job and contribute. These in fact probably the most impressive/most potential individuals as they overcame obstacles to do well
    3. Rich and stupid - well, they'll blend in well enough and might as well spend their money stupidly here as anywhere
    (Group 4, poor and stupid are pretty much excluded by the went to top university thing)
    I don’t think we can take your last point as a given. Richard Burgon keeps parading his humble origins and was at Cambridge.
    Did he have the Eccles Cake and Lancashire Cheese?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

You mean the number of first vaccines? 43,000 unusable, but not impossible.

Reminds me of a story, that may or may not be accurate, that the first people to servery mount Everest, calculated it very prissily but it came out to a very round number, with 3 zeros at the end. The servaysers realised that everybody would assume that they had only estimated it to the closes 1000 (feet or meters) so they added a 2.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

Today the last 7 days are 31,747 more than the previous 7 days which is an increase of 11% but that percentage is falling fast and will be negative early next week. That's what I meant.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Three main groups:
    The hood bit of the gown you wear to taunt the untermenschen with your academic attainments is technically called a Burgon. An appropriate homage, I think.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

And weddings. The one I was at yesterday had superspreader event written all over it.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

England admissions down for the first time in a bit on a Friday
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Three main groups:
    The hood bit of the gown you wear to taunt the untermenschen with your academic attainments is technically called a Burgon. An appropriate homage, I think.
    Perhaps, indeed, “Burgon” was the word Browning was reaching for in that poem where he inserted the word “twat” instead.

(See upthread for details).
  • Options
    Guardian:

The UK has recorded 36,389 new coronavirus cases and 64 further deaths, according to the latest update to the government’s coronavirus dashboard.

The total number of new cases over the past seven days is still up on the total for the previous week, by 11.4%. But yesterday the equivalent figure was +24.2%, and the previous day it was +35.8%, so the rate of increase does appear to be slowing. Some of this might be related to a slight drop in the number of tests being carried out.

Tests carried out
    22nd: 1,016,134
    16th: 979,046

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jul/23/uk-covid-live-news-latest-updates-coronavirus-pingdemic-boris-johnson?page=with:block-60fadab58f08bb57f5f7d987#block-60fadab58f08bb57f5f7d987
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Prof. Susan Michie elected to be fellow of Royal Academy.

Services to the mask making industry. :smile:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

Well assuming that stage 4 activity doesn't offset the other falls. It may do and we could level off at R=1 for a while.
  • Options
    Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    ·
    16m
    Definite flattening of cases by specimen date, but honestly think we need to give it a week to see what effect 19th July has before we start putting up banners on aircraft carriers.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    If cases really did peak on 15 July at 60,703, then perhaps for the first time in his life Boris may have made the right decision at the right time.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 784

(Multicoloured graph extended backwards to May 3rd, which was the lowest point and the very start of the wave):

Very encouraging, and it's even been falling day-on-day within this week. Which means we're down 30% versus last Friday.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong in expecting growth to continue, even if at a slower pace.

It'll be interesting to see if it is able to withstand the impact of the first full weekend of nightclubs.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Very encouraging, and it's even been falling day-on-day within this week. Which means we're down 30% versus last Friday.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong in expecting growth to continue, even if at a slower pace.

It'll be interesting to see if it is able to withstand the impact of the first full weekend of nightclubs.
    How many people actually go to nightclubs? And how does it compare to the number who are now not going to school?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

Well assuming that stage 4 activity doesn't offset the other falls. It may do and we could level off at R=1 for a while.
    I may have to put my hands up and admit a mistake. I was quite angry that the 21 June unlocking was delayed and I still think it was unnecessary and the models for it were ridiculous.

But its quite possible that 19 July was objectively better timed matching up with the holidays and if it does level off at R=1 it will do so from a lower level than if we'd had Stage 4 four weeks earlier.
  • Options
    Will vaccine efficacy decline over time?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/will-vaccine-efficacy-decline-over-time-

Some thoughts on the Israel data.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

Today the last 7 days are 31,747 more than the previous 7 days which is an increase of 11% but that percentage is falling fast and will be negative early next week. That's what I meant.
    Ah - I mean that today's number was lower than seven days ago, but reading the previous quote, you are clearly correct.

This wave has - I think - been very helpful to the UK. It's added a lot of new people with some degree of protection. When schools go back in September, we'll be in a position to start vaccinating 12-17 year olds, and for (most adult groups) herd immunity will be largely reached.

Where's @Chris, by the way?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

The impression I am getting is that Delta is becoming a bit of a victim of its own success and is likely to fall off sharply as we have seen in other countries. My guess is that that factor will outweigh any potential spreading from the relaxation.
  • Options

Will vaccine efficacy decline over time?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/will-vaccine-efficacy-decline-over-time-

Some thoughts on the Israel data.

That's interesting, and it's just as well that the UK is in a really good position as far as supply of vaccines for boosters in the Autumn.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

I may have to put my hands up and admit a mistake. I was quite angry that the 21 June unlocking was delayed and I still think it was unnecessary and the models for it were ridiculous.

But its quite possible that 19 July was objectively better timed matching up with the holidays and if it does level off at R=1 it will do so from a lower level than if we'd had Stage 4 four weeks earlier.
    I think that's right - combining opening up with school holidays was almost certainly the right thing to do.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

The impression I am getting is that Delta is becoming a bit of a victim of its own success and is likely to fall off sharply as we have seen in other countries. My guess is that that factor will outweigh any potential spreading from the relaxation.
    Yes, I think it's related to my previous post. Delta infects so many people in such a short space of time it drives populations to herd immunity very quickly and sadly destructively in places with low vaccination rates.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,016
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Indeed you were. And it could yet be one of those most impressive calls of all time on PB.

But, we'll see. I'm remaining cautious on the numbers for another week or so.

Certainly the @Chris (tina Pagel) Index is promising – their absence from the forum tells its own story.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

91.9% of adults have antibodies. Effective R is therefore 11x lower. It's really a testament to Delta that it has got this far.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    tlg86 said:

And weddings. The one I was at yesterday had superspreader event written all over it.
    My sons is next Saturday after postponing it from last August
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    IanB2 said:

ONS says more than 800,000 people in UK thought to have had Covid last week

Once again, one is moved to wonder how much longer it's going to take for this virus finally to run out of victims. We've had two or three (depending on how you regard them) huge outbreaks, with another well underway, it's run riot in schools, two-thirds of the adult population is fully vaccinated and we keep being reassured how low re-infection rates are - and yet, nearly a million more are estimated to have caught it in a week.

Logically the pandemic phase has to end at some point, but it really does feel like it never will.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scott_xP said:

eek said:

You know that deal I negotiated with you, well I know it's working perfectly for you but it's not working for us, can we change it?

When put like that it highlights exactly what the problem is and why it's going to be so hard to fix.

The Tories looking for a second go of the Brexit deal should get the same response as when we wanted a second go of the referendum.

It’s done, you won, get over it x

https://twitter.com/BenKellyTweets/status/1418292762382901249

Bitterness is pretty much all he has sadly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,016
    Ratters said:

Yes the clubs are going to be carnage tonight. But fun, probably.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm not sure it needs refining. The easy and universal nature of it is part of the appeal. It's a big Welcome To Global Britain sign, hovering right above Heathrow

Britain likes smart people. Britain wants hard working talent. You can walk right in if you've got the brains

Shouldn't be too hard to define the top universities. The top 100 from the most cited lists - THES, QS, etc?

Perhaps include people who have worked for the world's top corporations might actually be better?

(as I wrote that I realised it is complete bias because I went to a second rate uni but blagged my way into one of the world's most elite corporations a few years later lol!)
    The world's most elite corporations are full of people who write bias for biased. De rigueur at Goldman Sachs.

Would anyone in the real world write "the world's most elite corporations" anyway? It sounds like the blurb off an airport novel about a secret agent with a big schlong.
    Personal experience says the so called elite corporations are full of really dumb people who only seem bright because the senior management is even dumber and listens to them.

I cite an example from when I worked for ICI we had McKinseys in, they divided things into core competencies and non core and we all filled in paper work to show how much time we spent on each of the two.

They then took total hours worked ( from memory averaged about 45 a week) and downscaled both to 37.5 which was contractual.

So for the 21 in my team they worked out we worked 945 hours a month of which 45 hours was not core competence. They then down scaled it by 37.5/45. Worked out therefore we could lose a member of staff who got made redundant.

So despite our section churning out 900 core competence a month they decided that was only really 750 hours a month and we could lose a person. Management seemed surprised when everyone in section suddenly went you know what. 5.30 pm is when I am contracted to work till so that experiment that takes 10 hours and only has an hour to go will just have to stop and will try again tomorrow. Took them about 3 months to realise however none of the longer experimental work was getting done because people werent prepared to put in extra time to bring the actual hours back up to the 950 really needed because despite it being called non core that work still had do be done
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    Ratters said:

Maybe Whitty, Vallance and VanTam do know what they're talking about.

(This isn't meant sarcastically, though it sounds it. I'm in the same boat as you. I do have a modicum of sympathy for sage: they get it in the neck from both sides and are never popular. And its obviously much harder to make a decision you have to live with the consequences of than it is to opine on the internet.)
  • Options
    Support for Scottish independence has actually been in steady decline since mid-2020, @AngusRobertson. As Cabinet Secretary for the Constitution it surely behoves you not to mislead the public on this question. One might even cite the Ministerial Code.

https://twitter.com/dhothersall/status/1418549918688497665?s=20

"Cite the Ministerial code" - its the way he tells them!
  • Options

On Northern Ireland.

We clearly don’t.

However we do hold one major card which is we are on the ground in Northern Ireland and we have to reach a durable solution, as does Ireland.

The fact that we are on the ground and they're not is precisely why we hold all the cards.

We just need to be prepared to wield that as essentially a veto and there's little they can do but to accept that reality.

If they respond to us essentially vetoing any alternative solution like the NI Protocol then what are they going to do? If they erect border posts in Ireland they've done that and made matters worse from the Irish perspective. If they don't, they've given us what we wanted and shown the NI Protocol is unnecessary.

They have no winning move, so long as we're prepared to stand our ground it is checkmate.
    If we renege on our commitments with regard to the Northern Ireland Protocol, would that not put the entire Brexit Withdrawal Agreement in jeopardy, leaving us staring No Deal in the face again?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 784

Ratters said:

How many people actually go to nightclubs? And how does it compare to the number who are now not going to school?
    I'd guess it's a meaningful proportion of <25 adults that have the lowest vaccination rates. And my memory of nightclubs is that you couldn't design a better environment for Covid (especially delta) to spread.

On the other hand, it's clearly far fewer people than were in schools.

I'm on the fence. Let's see where we are in 10 days' time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

Ah - I mean that today's number was lower than seven days ago, but reading the previous quote, you are clearly correct.

This wave has - I think - been very helpful to the UK. It's added a lot of new people with some degree of protection. When schools go back in September, we'll be in a position to start vaccinating 12-17 year olds, and for (most adult groups) herd immunity will be largely reached.

Its also been very helpful that this wave has come in the middle of summer when the pressure on the hospitals is at its lowest. The number of admissions we have been seeing of late would be a much bigger problem in January or February. I think that was a part of the government's thinking. If we are to have a further wave to reach herd immunity let's do it now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Three main groups:
    Oy! That's my alma mater m8 - one rotten apple's not too bad a percentage!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This looks excellent.

Special visa for grads of the world’s best universities. Other visa loosening too.

https://twitter.com/sam_dumitriu/status/1418559832949460997?s=21

I think the UK will eventually agree a semi-free movement deal for under 35s from most EU countries on a bilateral basis. Similar to what we've just agreed with Australia. It suits all parties.
    Does not suit me and I suspect doesn't suit those youngsters who are finally getting off rock bottom minimum wages due to not having an essentially infinite labour pool to draw on to keep wages at the bottom. Hospitality workers for example
  • Options

Ratters said:

Just my thought. Really can't be that many who've not had Covid and a plethora of other STD's et al!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Makes that Israel data look even more of an outlier. Also puts the anecdotal stories on here of all the double jabbed people they know who have caught covid in perspective.
    It’s the old problem. 10,000 double jabbed people not getting Covid is not a news story. 1 double jabbed person gets Covid and tells all their social media circle and it’s the end of days...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I did too, I think.
    But I am surprised by how abruptly growth seems to have stopped. I thought we'd plateau for a bit at 50-55,000 cases a day. Instead of which we seem to have dropped straight back to the high 30s.

My oldest daughters' last day at primary school today. Year 6 have been having a water fight all day and have decamped en masse to the park to continue. Such joy on their faces. Startling to think this would have been illegal not long ago. I will never take freedom like this for granted again.
    The school, I should add, have been absolutely brilluant in trying to give them as memorable a last few weeks as possible, given the circumstances and the repeated bubble popping. Public sector josworths these people are not.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Once again, one is moved to wonder how much longer it's going to take for this virus finally to run out of victims. We've had two or three (depending on how you regard them) huge outbreaks, with another well underway, it's run riot in schools, two-thirds of the adult population is fully vaccinated and we keep being reassured how low re-infection rates are - and yet, nearly a million more are estimated to have caught it in a week.

Logically the pandemic phase has to end at some point, but it really does feel like it never will.
    If 90% of people have antibodies and 1% of the populating gets it a week (rates we are currently seeing in places like Redcar and hartlepool, indeed the whole North East Region is close to that level) then that's still two and a half months to get through the population.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

MrEd said:

algarkirk said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

On Northern Ireland.

Not often agreeing with Gardenwalker, I am delighted to agree that most of the above is pretty much on the ball, if you assume a point of view and accept the style is somewhat adversarial to Boris.

So just two qualifications, neither very important now; Parliament trashed May's deal. Not Boris. That doesn't matter now but it is true.

Secondly, further delay was, at the time, politically impossible. Boris privately (IMHO) made the big and fairly noble call to reject No Deal, at huge personal cost. Since the only deal on the table was one with a bad Ireland deal.

Boris is a Machiavelli politician anyway. Circumstances since getting a bad but only available Brexit through a parliament that never wanted one mean he has to act in ways which are Machiavelli squared.

I wonder how anyone else would be faring by now? Politically? Polling? Personally? It is worth thinking about. The current marmite Boris - everyone either loves him or loathes him is not quite true to the complex situation. Less uncritical support and opposition and more nuance would be a worthwhile project.

While Parliament did trash the deal, Boris had the option of turning round and making slight changes to May's scheme and going "take it or No Deal" or creating a new deal and going "new deal or no deal". The fact he took the latter option was his choice / mistake.
    I remember the evening when the deal was first announced and Theresa May did her speech in the dark on the steps of Downing Street, and Boris was immediately denouncing it on all the news channels before the text had even been made public.
    I am often blamed on here (as a former Remainer) for my failure to back Mrs May's deal in favour of the ultimate wet-dream of a second referendum, and as such I am responsible for Johnson's oven-ready pig-in-a-poke.

With the benefit of hindsight, I was wrong, not least because what came next was substantially worse, although it was sold by Johnson and many on here as a fault-free, compromise- free alternative to Mrs May's far from perfect shambles.

Johnson didn't accept Mrs May's compromise, because doing so didn't give him the keys to number 10. So surely along with me, Johnson and Frost should shoulder some of the blame.

In my defence I genuinely believed in the event of Mrs May's deal falling, and a second referendum win for Remain, that would have been of benefit to our nation. Johnson believed in the event of Mrs May's deal falling, it would have been of benefit to him. Yet public perception is; I am the traitor and Johnson is the patriot.
    Parliament rejected Mrs May's deal. Hundreds of Labour MPs voted against it. Boris only had the power of being a single vote among MPs. Yes, he was opportunist. Yes, the pope is a Catholic. Boris is a politician.

"Boris" as you affectionately call him, is a particular type of politician. And, no, they are not all the same, thank God. There are honest politicians on both sides of the house. There are perhaps none who are so malignantly narcissistic and dishonest as Boris Johnson, certainly this side of the Atlantic. In that unique area, he is most definitely world class.
    Please, what hyperbole.
    Well, hyperbole can sometimes be a useful tool for illustration, but in this case I must disagree that I have used it . Please tell me mainstream politicians with worse rep's for telling porkies?
    ...still no response? The silence is deafening. I rest my case.
    Was the late Reichsfuehrer Goebbels 'mainstream'? Just asking for a friend.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,453
    On-topic (unusually for me!). On Mike's previous header on the market when it was 50% chance I said I thought that was marginal value, but not enough to tempt me. Well, it is now, so I've had a nibble (at 4, so even better).

Restrictions could come back, obviously, but given Johnson's previous reluctance (see Christmas/January particularly) I think things will have to get pretty dire to make him move. The vaccine success is the big success of this government. If that's seen to fail, by restrictions coming back, then there's trouble for the Conservatives, I think (particularly given Starmer was at least appearing to argue for more caution). I just don't see things getting dire enough.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

36,389 is round?
    43,000 for first doses, I misread the dashboard.

But still - 43,000 is an incredibly round number of first doses isn't it?
    Possibly something funny in the reporting, or possibly it’s just random, like your shopping coming to exactly £20. (Not in a pound shop, obviously).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

That was an extremely good call. Like @cookie, I thought we were close to the peak but it would plateau for a while.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Support for Scottish independence has actually been in steady decline since mid-2020, @AngusRobertson. As Cabinet Secretary for the Constitution it surely behoves you not to mislead the public on this question. One might even cite the Ministerial Code.

Err, didn't support peak in December?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

This looks excellent.

Special visa for grads of the world’s best universities. Other visa loosening too.

I think the UK will eventually agree a semi-free movement deal for under 35s from most EU countries on a bilateral basis. Similar to what we've just agreed with Australia. It suits all parties.
    Does not suit me and I suspect doesn't suit those youngsters who are finally getting off rock bottom minimum wages due to not having an essentially infinite labour pool to draw on to keep wages at the bottom. Hospitality workers for example
    That argument only works if you have significant unemployment, which was certainly not the case before covid.

If you have virtually full employment, and then you send away most of those doing menial jobs, the net effect is that more indigenous people end up doing menial jobs instead of more fulfilling work, albeit for somewhat higher wages than those who they replace. And everything gets more expensive.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

That was an extremely good call. Like @cookie, I thought we were close to the peak but it would plateau for a while.
    Don’t know why more people didn’t pay attention to what happened in Scotland
  • Options

On Northern Ireland.

We clearly don’t.

If we renege on our commitments with regard to the Northern Ireland Protocol, would that not put the entire Brexit Withdrawal Agreement in jeopardy, leaving us staring No Deal in the face again?
    QTWAIN.

If we invoke Article 16 of the NI Protocol then that's part and parcel of the Withdrawal Agreement, we have every right to exercise a provision of the Protocol and that's not grounds to cancel the agreement.

Besides if the EU did then want to invoke the exit procedure to end the Withdrawal Agreement they'd need to give 12 months notice for that, during which time they still don't have a solution to the Protocol - and even after the 12 months they'd still have no solution to the Protocol so would be no better off.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I did too, I think.
    But I am surprised by how abruptly growth seems to have stopped. I thought we'd plateau for a bit at 50-55,000 cases a day. Instead of which we seem to have dropped straight back to the high 30s.

My oldest daughters' last day at primary school today. Year 6 have been having a water fight all day and have decamped en masse to the park to continue. Such joy on their faces. Startling to think this would have been illegal not long ago. I will never take freedom like this for granted again.
    The school, I should add, have been absolutely brilluant in trying to give them as memorable a last few weeks as possible, given the circumstances and the repeated bubble popping. Public sector josworths these people are not.
    Delighted to hear it. Earlier on we were discussing the age groups of those children sent home to self-isolate. I thought there were plenty of 2-11yr olds, using your daughter as an example. Do we have any idea how widespread it was at that age range?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

This looks excellent.

That argument only works if you have significant unemployment, which was certainly not the case before covid.

If you have virtually full employment, and then you send away most of those doing menial jobs, the net effect is that more indigenous people end up doing menial jobs instead of more fulfilling work, albeit for somewhat higher wages than those who they replace. And everything gets more expensive.
    For a lot of indigenous people especially the young menial work like stacking shelves and waiting tables is all they can get for a few years. If you can afford to go out for a meal you can afford to pay a little more. Maybe then the staff waiting on you can also afford to go out for a meal occasionally.

If the pay rises high enough due to staff shortages people from abroad will be able to get visa's under the points system to come do it.
  • Options

On Northern Ireland.

We clearly don’t.

Maybe at some point the EU will stop grandstanding in the media and trigger the provisions of the agreement that are there in the event that one party thinks the other is non compliant. Trouble for them is that it is not at all clear that we don’t have the right to seek to change the arrangements if they aren’t working as intended...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I did too, I think.

Delighted to hear it. Earlier on we were discussing the age groups of those children sent home to self-isolate. I thought there were plenty of 2-11yr olds, using your daughter as an example. Do we have any idea how widespread it was at that age range?
    Yep, I'm aware of plenty of children between 5-11 who have been sent home to isolate including (even last week) whole classes
  • Options
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

I stand by my presumption that we're at sufficient herd immunity to prevent the hospitals ever being overwhelmed again and now the virus is simply filling in the pools of unvaccinated people (youngsters especially) and will then fade away.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Very pleased that my punt of 70,001 today was miles out.

Let's hope that the fall in case numbers is sustained and that the past week hasn't just been a blip.

I have traversed the Hope Valley to Sheffield and am now on a fairly busy train heading towards Leeds. Approximately 50% mask wearing.

Remarkably, the only place where I have witnessed any sunshine today was Manchester!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

I like to think that @chris frequents other forums where he behaves as he does here, gracefully doling out his enormous wisdom, and generally making the world a better place. I might be wrong, though, and maybe he doesn’t want to post when things aren’t getting worse...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If cases really did peak on 15 July at 60,703, then perhaps for the first time in his life Boris may have made the right decision at the right time.

If he is proved correct — huge pinch of salt, touch wood, cross my fingers — he deserves a lot of credit. I'd forgive him pretty much anything if he got ending lockdown right.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wow!

Daily 36,389

I like to think that @chris frequents other forums where he behaves as he does here, gracefully doling out his enormous wisdom, and generally making the world a better place. I might be wrong, though, and maybe he doesn’t want to post when things aren’t getting worse...
    I believe he is heavily involved when not here in mole sanctuaries
  • Options

It’s the old problem. 10,000 double jabbed people not getting Covid is not a news story. 1 double jabbed person gets Covid and tells all their social media circle and it’s the end of days...
    The thing is that for a certain percentage of people even double vaccination won't give them protection. And that 3-6% will both go down with Covid and were they vocal on social media may discourage others from being vaccinated.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Good article from Finlan O'Toole, linked earlier, and good precis from @Gardenwalker on NI.

I must say my faith in the good intentions of the EU towards the island of Ireland have been severely shaken with vaccine border-gate but yes, at its core, the UK chose to separate out NI from GB rather than align with the EU. And yes, Boris is a useless, solipsistic, lying, ignorant twat*.

What does the asterisk signify, pray? A new and improved Mark of twat, or what?
    Ha yes sorry I was going to add that I am using this in the sense of not being part of a woman's body because that is not the common usage of twat imo whereas some think that it is a direct reference.
    Thank you; I am illuminated. Actually, I wonder if the PB keyboard has a male zoological symbol on it (= astrological Mars symbol)? That would be quite helpful.
    Of course I hesitate to google the word "twat".
    There is always Twatt in Orkney. Which, as Wikipedia helpfully explains at once, is "Not to be confused with Twatt, Shetland." I think we discussed that particular variety on PB a few years back - including the fact that it was a Fleet Air Arm base, under that name: RNAS Twatt.
    The etymological derivation of twat is "clearing in a forest" (the same as the placename Thwaite) which I always find amusing.
    Robert Browning also used it, thinking it was another word for a nun’s wimple:

‘Then owls and bats
    Cowls and twats
    Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
    Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry.’
    Does that mean he married one of the Barratts of T**t Street?

I know, I know. I used to work in a building on the corner of Queen Annes St. and Wimpole St.
    Magpie Lane at the back of Oriel used to be called something a bit more graphic than that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane
    Plus I remember visiting the Castle area and being told about Tidmarsh Lane aka Titmouse Lane (en route to the very nice pub at the Morrell's brewery gates).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

This looks excellent.

For a lot of indigenous people especially the young menial work like stacking shelves and waiting tables is all they can get for a few years. If you can afford to go out for a meal you can afford to pay a little more. Maybe then the staff waiting on you can also afford to go out for a meal occasionally.

If the pay rises high enough due to staff shortages people from abroad will be able to get visa's under the points system to come do it.
    For example my son, got a top class MsC from UCL in biochemistry....spent 3 years doing such menial jobs till he managed to find a non menial one, also know a friend of his that got a first in marine biology...still working in costa's after 8 years because he cant find a not hospitality job
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

Today's figure is about one-third down on last Friday's - this is about the same as the decreases we have seen in Scotland after their participation in the football tournament ended and their schools closed for the summer. So, aside from the impact of nightclubs, I'd say that these decreases were expected, though I did think that the peak was going to be a few days later.

It may well end up being that nightclubs are relatively a niche pursuit, and don't impact the headline numbers as much as schools or a nation-unifying football tournament.

It's also possible that there has been a degree of behaviour modification among the "Boris is trying to kill us all crowd" which is acting to reduce transmission while those who aren't so paranoid enjoy themselves in the nightclubs.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Err, didn't support peak in December?
    I've found Mr Hothersall's tweets to be of the kind which sometimes make me rub my eyes in disbelief even after a third look.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    New thread.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

It's a 1-in-1000 chance, but then you are looking at figures for: first doses, second doses, cases (at least) that could be similarly suspiciously round, so you'd expect it to happen about once a year for one of those three statistics.

It just happened to be that statistic, today.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

This looks excellent.

Granted, it'll be good for the Brits who are currently doing menial jobs and have no aspiration to do anything else, though they'll likely be the first ones on the dole if unemployment rises from its current very low level. It won't be so good for the Brits who end up having to do some of the menial jobs left empty by the returning migrants instead of a more fulfilling job (some will go to automation). And rising prices won't be good for the rest of us.
This discussion has been closed.