Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By signing the Good Friday Agreement 23 years ago the UK made Brexit hard if not impossible – politi

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Leon said:

Hmmmm. The Hundred not doing it for me so far

I like having Cricket to watch, but why it needed new gimmicks I'm not sure (and if aimed at non-cricket fans what is the draw compared to other formats).

I'm more interested in how the statisticians will record things.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The survey of 250 manufacturing businesses reported output increasing in 16 out of 17 sub-sectors, led by the motor vehicles & transport equipment and food, drink & tobacco sub-sectors.

Manufacturers expect output to grow at an even quicker pace in the next three months – the strongest growth expectations on record.

Furthermore, total new orders grew at their quickest pace since 1974. This reflected domestic orders expanding at their fastest rate on record (since 1975), and the first rise in export orders since January 2019.

Meanwhile, numbers employed in the sector grew at their fastest pace since 1973, and are expected to increase at a slightly faster rate in the next three months.

https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/factory-output-employment-and-orders-rising-at-fastest-rate-for-almost-50-years/

The world is booming right now, as we start to put Covid behind us.
    It can't be true though, I kept being told after Brexit that the UK would wave goodbye to all of its industries and that I personally would be out of a job because the whole City would move to Frankfurt, the world's dullest place.

These manufacturing companies must be mistaken, Robert. All of those experts couldn't possibly be wrong and the Treasury's gravity model is able to predict the future 100% accurately.
    Had a debate with a lefty Remainer friend a few days ago. He has a physics degree from a Russell Group university

He claimed that GDP had fallen by 30% because of Brexit, and it took a while for him to accept that he was wrong

If a smart guy can hold opinions like this, how many people believe totally insane things? And vote "accordingly"?
    Isn't there a well-established effect whereby the more intelligent you are the less open to persuasion by alternative points of view, and the more likely you are to 'mould' the facts to support your beliefs?

PS Do you have any friends who are not 'lefty Remainers'?
    He also has a whole cadre of young female Corbynista admirers IIRC. All these lefty friends conform to every Daily Mail stereotype and can be relied upon to say the kind of idiotic thing that I have never heard anybody say in real life. These people are 100% not a figment of his over-active imagination.
    I dunno. My Albanian cabbie told me that he heard the same story from a passenger just the other day.
    I am aware that no one on this site will ever believe me, but the Albanian cabbie story was 100% true.

Albanian, ex pro footballer, moved to Italy then to the UK

Not a single lie in that there anecdote. But hey ho!
    What was the story?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

rcs1000 said:

The survey of 250 manufacturing businesses reported output increasing in 16 out of 17 sub-sectors, led by the motor vehicles & transport equipment and food, drink & tobacco sub-sectors.

Manufacturers expect output to grow at an even quicker pace in the next three months – the strongest growth expectations on record.

Furthermore, total new orders grew at their quickest pace since 1974. This reflected domestic orders expanding at their fastest rate on record (since 1975), and the first rise in export orders since January 2019.

Meanwhile, numbers employed in the sector grew at their fastest pace since 1973, and are expected to increase at a slightly faster rate in the next three months.

https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/factory-output-employment-and-orders-rising-at-fastest-rate-for-almost-50-years/

This is a joke, right?
    The labour market statistics in the developed world (whether the US, the UK, Spain or pretty much anywhere else) show rapidly tightening markets. The situations vacant figure in some countries is running at all time high.

In my job, trying to hire either tech people in London, or more general hires in the US, salaries are going through the roof. We tried to hire a bookkeeper, who was earnings $45k, so we offered her $55k. Her employer countered, we recountererd, and she ended up staying in her job for $85k.

There is massive pent-up demand out there.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I like having Cricket to watch, but why it needed new gimmicks I'm not sure (and if aimed at non-cricket fans what is the draw compared to other formats).

T20 is excellent entertainment if you want a super-short form of the game. They could have added all the fireworks and extra-colourful pyjamas to that

This feels like an evolution too far
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

It can't be true though, I kept being told after Brexit that the UK would wave goodbye to all of its industries and that I personally would be out of a job because the whole City would move to Frankfurt, the world's dullest place.

These manufacturing companies must be mistaken, Robert. All of those experts couldn't possibly be wrong and the Treasury's gravity model is able to predict the future 100% accurately.
    Had a debate with a lefty Remainer friend a few days ago. He has a physics degree from a Russell Group university

He claimed that GDP had fallen by 30% because of Brexit, and it took a while for him to accept that he was wrong

If a smart guy can hold opinions like this, how many people believe totally insane things? And vote "accordingly"?
    Isn't there a well-established effect whereby the more intelligent you are the less open to persuasion by alternative points of view, and the more likely you are to 'mould' the facts to support your beliefs?

He also has a whole cadre of young female Corbynista admirers IIRC. All these lefty friends conform to every Daily Mail stereotype and can be relied upon to say the kind of idiotic thing that I have never heard anybody say in real life. These people are 100% not a figment of his over-active imagination.
    I dunno. My Albanian cabbie told me that he heard the same story from a passenger just the other day.
    I am aware that no one on this site will ever believe me, but the Albanian cabbie story was 100% true.

Hold on a moment - it wasn't 'Leon' who told that story, was it?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

T20 is excellent entertainment if you want a super-short form of the game. They could have added all the fireworks and extra-colourful pyjamas to that
    Isn't that what they do in the IPL? (I haven't watched it for a few years).

As for evolution, whilst each format has an intelligent designer, getting shorter and shorter is a kind of natual evolution, whereas this might be like glueing extra legs onto a gazelle.

But it passes the evening well enough.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Things can only get bitter:

So race relations began to seriously decline under Obama??
    On that chart, everything was great until the last two years of Obama.

Which is odd.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    How about you have two teams of 25 players each, you play 100 deliveries or until all of them get out, to encourage more wild swinging? You then have 11 on the pitch for fielding side, but they have to change over as no one can be on the field more for than 15 consecutive deliveries. Happy to licence that to the ECB.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The fact Frankfurt is the world's dullest place (it isn't I can think of way worse) is one reason why companies did whatever they could be avoid moving there.

If a decent city with nightlife had been the number 2 centre in europe things may have been different.
    That French city, what's it called, you know - yes - Paris, is apparently quite pleasant. Yet they didn't really flock there either

London is unique because of its size, time zone, location, pool of talent, common law, and the English language, so even though it has been knocked by Brexit it was never likely to be toppled

Covid, however...

I was going to say Paris and instantly thought - income tax, employment law, law generally .... it's a none starter.

Had France none of those issues I suspect things would be different.

As for Covid - nothing that will occur now wouldn't have occurred over the next 20 years - communication links are such that you people being in the office 5 days a week is probably a big constraint on productivity.
    If you're married with kids, then your income tax rates are almost certainly going to be lower than in England. On the other hand, if you're single with no kids, they'll be a lot higher.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Leon said:

You don't get much more uppity than getting yourself elected president of the United States.
    You've done it again. Got over my exact point using a tenth of the space. Getting well and truly hacked off with it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Which is odd.
    Race relations - it is in fact all settled. All races are equal. The only BIG problem is that some people choose to think it's not all settled. Obliquely and perhaps unfairly that includes you.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185

kinabalu said:

From Ursula von der Leyen's Twitter feed:

PM @BorisJohnson called to present the UK Command paper on the Irish/Northern Irish Protocol.

The EU will continue to be creative and flexible within the Protocol framework. But we will not renegotiate.

We must jointly ensure stability and predictability in Northern Ireland.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1418163146947239940

That's is quite extraordinarily cold. Not even a 'we had a constructive discussion' or 'we agreed to continue talking'.

If Boris thinks Lord Frost's bizarre antics are going to work, he's an even prizer prize fool than we all thought.

Are we sure this rather unorthodox government wouldn't welcome a nice big running spat with the evil empire?
    Actually I think Boris is very content to have a fight with the EU rightly or wrongly
    But not wise of Boris to be so content. Biden is very certainly on the side of the EU, and when it comes to COP26 (Glasgow), it can't be good if the EU and USA are aligned against the UK.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

This is a joke, right?
    The labour market statistics in the developed world (whether the US, the UK, Spain or pretty much anywhere else) show rapidly tightening markets. The situations vacant figure in some countries is running at all time high.

In my job, trying to hire either tech people in London, or more general hires in the US, salaries are going through the roof. We tried to hire a bookkeeper, who was earnings $45k, so we offered her $55k. Her employer countered, we recountererd, and she ended up staying in her job for $85k.

Perhaps I should rejoin the labour market ... I'd do my bit to alter that. ;)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    maaarsh said:

https://twitter.com/julianHjessop/status/1418260236213891083

Oddly, this survey suggests you are significantly more likely to say you have experienced 'food shortages' if you are a Remainer, or voted LibDem...

Make of that what you will!

#pingdemic

I would add that this 'J Jessop' is in no way related to me. ;)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Hold on a moment - it wasn't 'Leon' who told that story, was it?
    No. It was Eadric. He emailed me the evidence
    Intracranial email ?
    Another unlikely story...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Which is odd.
    Race relations - it is in fact all settled. All races are equal. The only BIG problem is that some people choose to think it's not all settled. Obliquely and perhaps unfairly that includes you.
    Rawl's veil of ignorance is helpful here.

You wouldn't want to be born African American in large parts of the Deep South.
  • Options
    The Hundred looks like a blast if you are there in the sun with a few beers.

As a contrived TV spectacle with contrived teams.... hmm.....

Maybe it will mature
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Alistair said:

If you want some patented Alistair gloom to break your sunny optimism what we could be seeing here is the Football spike unwinding but the underlying slow increase continuing, so next week we will see a rise in cases.

If you look at Andy vs excellent chart last week was a big uptick off the trend and this week is more in line with where the trend would have been if not for the footie surge.

I'm slightly suspicious that Scotland's fall is about to level off.

Hopefully I am wrong on all counts.

The pessimist in me thinks this might not be far off. The queue of ambulances outside Ed is only 13 today, compared to 17 yesterday.

I think numbers may well level off rather than plummet. It seems too easy to catch.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I certainly have way more lefty Remainer friends than Brexiteers - I live in north London and move in quite arty/lefty circles, it's what you get

I have some Tory friends but actual Leavers? - there is one. Possibly two - tho the second is a Corbynite Leaver. That's it, I think. I have a couple more who really agonised over the decision but, I think, went Remain in the end because they own London property

My family is much more Leavery - but they don't live in London
    I don't buy this binary split of people as R or L. The split does exist but it's within each person. Every Remainer has some Leave in them and every Leaver some Remain. Me, for example, I have quite a high Leave quotient. It's the part of me I dislike but oh yes it's there.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    What are the odds on the Democrats flipping Florida in 2024 ....
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/22/biden-sanctions-cuba-500534
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

This is a joke, right?

All that helicopter money has landed. Inflation, here we come...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I certainly have way more lefty Remainer friends than Brexiteers - I live in north London and move in quite arty/lefty circles, it's what you get

I have some Tory friends but actual Leavers? - there is one. Possibly two - tho the second is a Corbynite Leaver. That's it, I think. I have a couple more who really agonised over the decision but, I think, went Remain in the end because they own London property

I don't buy this binary split of people as R or L. The split does exist but it's within each person. Every Remainer has some Leave in them and every Leaver some Remain. Me, for example, I have quite a high Leave quotient. It's the part of me I dislike but oh yes it's there.
    Well, yes, me too. I only decided my Brexit vote on the day. and I still gravely regret losing things like Freedom of Movement - I never especially cared about that - tho I respect those who did vote to "take control" of migration. It's an honourable position.

But some people are 100%. I have 2 or 3 Remoaner friends who are in the A C Grayling stakes for frothing, irrational anger at the Leave vote. I try to avoid even mentioning it with them, but do not always succeed
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited July 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Disappointing. You'll be telling us next that you have some Tory in you, or that you have a grudging respect for Ian Duncan Smith. Not good.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

maaarsh said:

Oddly, this survey suggests you are significantly more likely to say you have experienced 'food shortages' if you are a Remainer, or voted LibDem...

#pingdemic

Waitrose supply change is struggling more than Morrisons or Asda?

I had no issue with my grocery delivery today.
    Mine isn’t.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    alednam said:

kinabalu said:

PM @BorisJohnson called to present the UK Command paper on the Irish/Northern Irish Protocol.

The EU will continue to be creative and flexible within the Protocol framework. But we will not renegotiate.

That's is quite extraordinarily cold. Not even a 'we had a constructive discussion' or 'we agreed to continue talking'.

If Boris thinks Lord Frost's bizarre antics are going to work, he's an even prizer prize fool than we all thought.

Are we sure this rather unorthodox government wouldn't welcome a nice big running spat with the evil empire?
    Actually I think Boris is very content to have a fight with the EU rightly or wrongly
    But not wise of Boris to be so content. Biden is very certainly on the side of the EU, and when it comes to COP26 (Glasgow), it can't be good if the EU and USA are aligned against the UK.
    I do not see it in those terms at all

Biden is far more concerned with the German - French love affair with Russia and their antipathy to NATO

Furthermore, on climate change Boris is more attuned to the US than the Eu
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

Oh dear, what a shame....

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is looking at legal costs in the ballpark of ***£500,000*** after losing his libel action against a Syrian teenage refugee - that excludes anything he may owe his former lawyers.
    https://twitter.com/BBCDomC/status/1418213484710350866?s=20

I have always been intrigued by how he manages to sustain his lifestyle.
    The hyphenated name?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

From the other side of the divide, I have always found Schengen and the Euro appealing. It is the totalitarian capitalist hegemony that pushed me into the Leave camp.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298

maaarsh said:

#pingdemic

I would just say that I have had a weekly Asda delivery since 2018 and even today there were no products missing from a £110 order
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, yes, me too. I only decided my Brexit vote on the day. and I still gravely regret losing things like Freedom of Movement - I never especially cared about that - tho I respect those who did vote to "take control" of migration. It's an honourable position.

But some people are 100%. I have 2 or 3 Remoaner friends who are in the A C Grayling stakes for frothing, irrational anger at the Leave vote. I try to avoid even mentioning it with them, but do not always succeed
    My wife is a Boris loving Leave supporter. It can be very difficult sometimes. I try not to discuss it anymore because it just causes arguments. In some respects it's better for me to join in the arguments on PB...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If you want some patented Alistair gloom to break your sunny optimism what we could be seeing here is the Football spike unwinding but the underlying slow increase continuing, so next week we will see a rise in cases.

If you look at Andy vs excellent chart last week was a big uptick off the trend and this week is more in line with where the trend would have been if not for the footie surge.

Well, fewer restrictions and more nightclubbing meets school closures and more jabbing.

Plus, of course, people change their behaviour in response to rising or falling caseloads.

(Covid doesn't have waves - peoples' behaviour has waves.)

But you know what? We'll keep jabbing. There is no "wall", but there are sceptical people and some of them will end up getting vaccines because they decide the risk is OK, and some will get them because they want to go to Majorca, and some will simply get Covid and get their protection that way.

So, we will exit this. And probably sooner rather than later. Each successive exit wave will be a little bit less severe.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Leon said:

I generally just let them wank on, as is their wont. Like any right-leaning Leaver in London I have learned to button my lip

The upside of keeping schtum is that you get to enjoy their surprise when elections don't go the way they expect.
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

I generally just let them wank on, as is their wont. Like any right-leaning Leaver in London I have learned to button my lip

The upside of keeping schtum is that you get to enjoy their surprise when elections don't go the way they expect.
    Yes, it is delicious, and it Just Keeps Happening
  • Options

maaarsh said:

#pingdemic

I would just say that I have had a weekly Asda delivery since 2018 and even today there were no products missing from a £110 order
    Harrods deliver my weekly shop without any issue.

(I'm making this up)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

No, it's completely rational ask anyone who knows anything about Northern Ireland and the peace process.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

No, it's completely rational ask anyone who knows anything about Northern Ireland and the peace process.
    I think for a lot of people it's a case of DILIGAF. As long as we don't expend British blood and treasure on them again.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

From the other side of the divide, I have always found Schengen and the Euro appealing. It is the totalitarian capitalist hegemony that pushed me into the Leave camp.
    I think Schengen is a brilliant idea. However it needs a ring of steel round the outside and a Euro immigration force.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Overheard the youth (A group of about 19) chatting on my run. Topic of conversation...
    Covid transmission
  • Options

alednam said:

kinabalu said:

I do not see it in those terms at all

Biden is far more concerned with the German - French love affair with Russia and their antipathy to NATO

Furthermore, on climate change Boris is more attuned to the US than the Eu
    The US has interests. Germany has interests. France has interests. The UK has interests.

Sometimes our interests are aligned with the US administration. Sometimes the Australians. Sometimes the French. Sometimes the Swiss. And sometimes we're all alone.

The mistake is to think in terms of permanent enemies or friends so good, they can do no wrong.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

For me the Euro would have been a major issue - you only have to look at Italy and remember that our productivity was (and still is) even worse
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    malcolmg said:

Seeing Type 26 frigates under construction at
    @BAES_Maritime Govan, Glasgow Shipyard Ship where 3,000 people work.

Our trade deals with Norway New Zealand Canada Australia will increase export opportunities for these vessels and associated services.

Huge opportunities in the pipeline.

Trade = jobs

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1417865682885169156?s=20

YOU mean this clown.......
    Simple question
    :

“How many jobs will this create in Scotland?”

Liz Truss: “I don’t have that figure”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1418216570933833729
    Oh dear God that's bad. She might as well have said "who cares how many jobs for Scotland?"
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Schengen is a brilliant idea. However it needs a ring of steel round the outside and a Euro immigration force.
    I've always been a big fan of Schengen, as borders are massively more porous than people think.

You therefore inconvenience the genuine, while doing little to affect the crooked.

There's a reason why the Swiss voted in a referendum to join Schengen, but have never been particularly keen on the EU.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Scott_xP said:

The fine art of Brexit statements. MEPs call on the UK government “to show flexibility and pragmatism”. https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1418260333223886849/photo/1

That needs to go two ways. The UK has compromised far more on the GB-NI border than the EU has on the NI-ROI one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

alednam said:

kle4 said:

Tres said:

Kakistocracy Watch. Parliament increasingly resembling that of a 3rd world country today with an MP being barred from the chamber for accurately calling out the PM as a liar.

To pretend that the existence of rules on parliamentary language signify anything at all is just plain ridiculous. Lots of non third world countries have such conventions for a start. MPs don't have any problem excoriating the PM without breaching such conventions, so anyone doing it is clearly engaged in a stunt.
    But Opposiiton MPs can seem to have a hard time getting it across to people (not all of them au fait with Parliamentary conventions) that the Prime Minister is a liar.
    No they don't. He is routinely attacked in and out of the Commons for all manner of failings, including misleading people, deceiving them or being just plain untrustworthy. Calling him a liar in the Commons won't wake people up to him being a liar, people either don't believe he is or they think he is but for other reasons still support him.

I despise childish stunts, designed to make people feel good about themselves or to get applause rather than achieve anything, and this was definitely childish, as most such stunts are. Other than that, I don't see the political or even comic value of such an act.
    Lets me clear. Dawn "you're a racist" Butler did this as an attack on Keir Starmer. "I called the PM a liar" so why didn't Starmer? Trotter is already awash with calls for serkeir to resign if he doesn't back her.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited July 2021

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I might head up to Hartlepool and try out my new chat up line... "Do you have some Remainer in you... Would you like some?"
    Live and Dangerous!

Phil Lynott: Is there anyone out there with a little Irish in them? Any of the girls want a little more Irish in them?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Our trade deals with Norway New Zealand Canada Australia will increase export opportunities for these vessels and associated services.

Trade = jobs

Simple question
    :

Oh dear God that's bad. She might as well have said "who cares how many jobs for Scotland?"
    Not really when she clearly knew her stuff on another report about Scottish jobs. She also committed to getting the number. This is crappy gotcha journalism.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

The pessimist in me thinks this might not be far off. The queue of ambulances outside Ed is only 13 today, compared to 17 yesterday.

I think numbers may well level off rather than plummet. It seems too easy to catch.
    I'm no epidemiologist, but it appears - from the record of hospital patient totals over time that's been reported in the early centres of infection - that admissions are initially rising, leading to the total number of Covid patients in the local hospital rising to some modest fraction of the previous peaks, before reaching an equilibrium state. Admissions stabilise and then the total number of patients also stabilises, thereafter to flatline or perhaps fluctuate up and down a little, rather than dropping off again.

This state of affairs might persist for weeks if not months, until the cumulative effect of vaccinations and infections finally breaks down the chains of transmission and we get to the fabled herd immunity, but exactly how long that will take is anybody's guess.

The total number of Covid patients in hospital nationwide ought hopefully to stop rising once every locality has attained its own equilibrium state, with healthcare provision being most heavily burdened in the areas with the highest population densities and the lowest percentages of the population vaccinated.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Groceries update - my local Tesco's has had completely empty shelves. Entire rows of shelves literally empty and closed off.

Signs up apologising and blaming a refrigeration failure. Oops.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    algarkirk said:

An excellent commentary as always from Mike Smithson. These thoughts are from one who supported Brexit but wanted 'Norway for Now' in the belief that a long term process was essential.

1) If Brexit and GFA are actually incompatible then Remain incomprehensibly failed to say so, and failed to say what the limits on Brexit would be. That is because they are not incompatible.

2) The UK and the RoI are sovereign states (the sort with seats at the UN and armies).

3) The EU is an extensive trade association, and not a state.

4) If it is realistic to say that the UK can bend its sovereignty red lines to the extent of separating the GB and the NI internal market as the protocol requires, it is realistic to say that the EU can bend its trade association rules to contain an anomaly which protects the interests of one of their members, the RoI, and those of a friendly neighbour with equivalently high standards, the UK.

5) Which obvious truth is why Remain did not campaign on the basis that a (non EFTA) Brexit was impossible.

Precisely, the dispute is between the UK and Ireland, not the UK and EU. Ireland could disengage from the Single Market, join a customs union with the UK - no land border, no sea border - job done.

The Irish saw the trap on day 1 and have marshalled their considerable lobbying power in both the EU and the US to avoid having to choose between the Single Market and a soft land border. The EU doesn't care as long as its rules are followed, but Ireland won't compromise on this point, ever.

So what will happen if this Brexiteer government decides to tear up both the Protocol and the TCA? This is a significantly greater than zero risk. They will lose Nissan, which is something they seem to care about, but once it's gone it's gone, and they have pretty much wrecked everything else anyway, so why not?

I am guessing Ireland will go with the Single Market and cut the North loose. But it will be a grim time for everyone, especially those in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Which is odd.
    Rawl's veil of ignorance is helpful here.

You wouldn't want to be born African American in large parts of the Deep South.
    In North Carolina, Republicans specifically got data on what forms of ID African Americans have before deciding to exclude them from voter ID. Pretending racial relations is settled is deliberate head in the sandism.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

malcolmg said:

Trade = jobs

Simple question
    :

Not really when she clearly knew her stuff on another report about Scottish jobs. She also committed to getting the number. This is crappy gotcha journalism.
    Bullshit. You don't take your department on the road, make announcements about green energy jobs (which is led by Scotland) and only have the figures for England.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Read an FT article about the Protocol today, and it said the Irish were hoping that Biden would put pressure on Boris and the UK to compromise with the Irish/EU

The article added that, however, Boris does not give a fuck what Biden says or thinks, so the Irish were being optimistic
    It's amazing how much certain Irish commentators use the US as a crutch. They seem to think that all it will take for the UK to bend to their will is for Biden to stall on a trade deal, and similarly that if only the US would give its blessing for the UK to follow EU rules, then all the UK's objections to it would disappear.
    Yeah, Ireland has fallen into the life of siding with the biggest bully and hoping that the bully will fight their battles for them. Biden gives no fucks about Ireland, he's proposed a tax regime that will decimate Ireland's national economy and will push ahead with or without their agreement.

Ireland won't lose out from the 15% rate, that's a nothing increase on the 12.5% rate they currently have what they will lose from is the 0% rates that companies use to dodge all taxes and once that's gone so are Apple and the rest of them. Biden and his team know that this will completely and utterly fuck Ireland and yet they're still pushing for it. On the other side, Biden and his team have listened to Rishi's argument on the global banking sector being exempt and accepted it.

It's almost as though Biden being ancestrally Irish means nothing.
    It's almost Rishi had valid reasons within his argument that the Ireland concessions just didn't have.
    Nah, can't be that. Biden must have just forgotten that he's really Irish and not American and that he really should advance Ireland's agenda at every opportunity.

I remember when Biden getting elected was the thing that would reverse Brexit because he'd bring the UK into line over Ireland and make the UK agree to everything the EU wanted. Sometimes I wonder whether these remainers delude themselves because it helps them sleep at night.
  • Options
    alednam said:

kinabalu said:

Is he though? Or does he actually not give a flying fuck about UK/EU squabbling.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,194
    I am in a pub somewhere in a Midlands Labour seat. Quiet. Expected to be busier tomorrow.

Overall view: COVID is still about, let's be careful out there!
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited July 2021
    Great day out in London today, it’s not going anywhere.

@Leon take heart from Jurassic Park.

“Life (in London) will find a way...”
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    MaxPB said:

alednam said:

kinabalu said:

Is he though? Or does he actually not give a flying fuck about UK/EU squabbling.
    He doesn't, however I do know for a fact that several of Boris Johnson's team are aware that Biden hasn't forgiven that dog whistle* comment about Obama's heritage.

*More of a foghorn.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

An excellent commentary as always from Mike Smithson. These thoughts are from one who supported Brexit but wanted 'Norway for Now' in the belief that a long term process was essential.

1) If Brexit and GFA are actually incompatible then Remain incomprehensibly failed to say so, and failed to say what the limits on Brexit would be. That is because they are not incompatible.

2) The UK and the RoI are sovereign states (the sort with seats at the UN and armies).

4) If it is realistic to say that the UK can bend its sovereignty red lines to the extent of separating the GB and the NI internal market as the protocol requires, it is realistic to say that the EU can bend its trade association rules to contain an anomaly which protects the interests of one of their members, the RoI, and those of a friendly neighbour with equivalently high standards, the UK.

5) Which obvious truth is why Remain did not campaign on the basis that a (non EFTA) Brexit was impossible.

Precisely, the dispute is between the UK and Ireland, not the UK and EU. Ireland could disengage from the Single Market, join a customs union with the UK - no land border, no sea border - job done.

The Irish saw the trap on day 1 and have marshalled their considerable lobbying power in both the EU and the US to avoid having to choose between the Single Market and a soft land border. The EU doesn't care as long as its rules are followed, but Ireland won't compromise on this point, ever.

So what will happen if this Brexiteer government decides to tear up both the Protocol and the TCA? This is a significantly greater than zero risk. They will lose Nissan, which is something they seem to care about, but once it's gone it's gone, and they have pretty much wrecked everything else anyway, so why not?

I am guessing Ireland will go with the Single Market and cut the North loose. But it will be a grim time for everyone, especially those in Northern Ireland.
    Remainers saying Nissan are leaving is definitely still a winning card.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

My gym tonight was chocka. Absolutely back to busy normality. Good to see
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    On-topic: it's usually silly to insist on calling your political opponents crazy, but people should take a step back and then take a good calm look at the DUP. This party was in favour of Brexit, and not just Brexit but a hard Brexit. Now if we accept the premise of the header, which we should, then basically they wanted to tear up the Good Friday Agreement. They got Brexit. They've torn up the GFA. Are they happy? Are they f***! They're shouting that they've been sold down the river! It's kinda like they enjoy it, being under "siege".

Why on earth does any political faction behave like that? There is an answer to that question. To reach it you have to ask what they had against British membership of the EU in the first place, when they don't actually want a hard border with the RoI. It all starts to make crazy "sense" when you suss that they hate the EU because they think it's an instrument of the "harlot of Rome", which is also what they think about the RoI - and for that matter, about Joe Biden's White House. And Number 10 under Boris Johnson too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

Wow this @x thing really works! ;)
  • Options

Groceries update - my local Tesco's has had completely empty shelves. Entire rows of shelves literally empty and closed off.

I bought two bottles of still water in a supermarket somewhere in the Midlands earlier today. The shelves looked full.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

alednam said:

kinabalu said:

He doesn't, however I do know for a fact that several of Boris Johnson's team are aware that Biden hasn't forgiven that dog whistle* comment about Obama's heritage.

*More of a foghorn.

Biden may not have forgiven it, but by the look of the old guy, he's very probably forgotten it
  • Options

I bought two bottles of still water in a supermarket somewhere in the Midlands earlier today. The shelves looked full.
    Lightweight
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

I think Ireland has actually ended up in a very exposed diplomatic position where, to coin a phrase, they now have to be lucky every time. We almost saw their position upended by the Commission over vaccines, and it would only take a similar incident that wasn't able to be walked back for serious political damage to be done to Ireland's faith in the EU.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

My wife is a Boris loving Leave supporter. It can be very difficult sometimes. I try not to discuss it anymore because it just causes arguments. In some respects it's better for me to join in the arguments on PB...
    Oh god. Feel for you. Great coping technique though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

And all the usual drinks were available?
  • Options

Oh dear, your tap is broken too?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I might head up to Hartlepool and try out my new chat up line... "Do you have some Remainer in you... Would you like some?"
    Was hoping someone would develop it that way. 🙂

Lynot - per TUD.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

alednam said:

kinabalu said:

*More of a foghorn.

Biden may not have forgiven it, but by the look of the old guy, he's very probably forgotten it
    Well those who advise Biden certainly haven't forgotten it.

I read a piece last year about it, back in 2007 Obama's team had war gamed the 2008 campaign if the GOP nominee had run a racist/dog whistle campaign.

At the top of the list they'd expect two key things from a race baiting GOP nominee

1) To keep on calling Obama 'Barack Hussein Obama.'

and/or

2) Keep on referencing his part Kenyan heritage

Fortunately the GOP selected McCain and Romney who were honourable men and never went down that route.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Lightweight
    I am having a beer now though. In a big city centre pub. Only 5 of us in. Capacity 80 approx.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited July 2021
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

The UK government could have left without a deal. That would have left the EU with the problem of how to deal with the land border in the island of Ireland since in principle they would have had to close it to protect the SM, and we wouldn't because we would have had insufficient interest in protecting the border.

We didn't. Meaning that Boris accepted the Ireland fudge which all parties knew could not work in the long term. Not least because it is obvious to all that unionist extremists in NI would not accept for ever the NI/GB divergence without resorting to civil unrest.

So the problem landed mostly on us rather than them.

Boris's tactic was to accept the only way of leaving with a deal, and wait; hoping that in due course it may become a joint problem and not just ours. Hence the willingness to break with an international treaty. He has no alternative in these unique circumstances.

The EU wants the UK to break the red lines of our internal market. We want the EU to break their SM red lines. Both sides refuse to be the first to suggest an internal barrier. That is about the only hold Boris has. Despite the absoluteness of the SM rules, neither the RoI nor EU will enforce them at the internal border. Can Boris use this unusual weakness in the EU solidity to UK advantage?

It is a fascinating and high stakes process.

• Options
    edited July 2021

alex_ said:

Lightweight
    I am having a beer now though. In a big city centre pub. Only 5 of us in. Capacity 80 approx.
    Well that’s Birmingham for you. You’d better get drinking their share.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

alednam said:

kinabalu said:

*More of a foghorn.

Well those who advise Biden certainly haven't forgotten it.

I read a piece last year about it, back in 2007 Obama's team had war gamed the 2008 campaign if the GOP nominee had run a racist/dog whistle campaign.

At the top of the list they'd expect two key things from a race baiting GOP nominee

1) To keep on calling Obama 'Barack Hussein Obama.'

and/or

2) Keep on referencing his part Kenyan heritage

Fortunately the GOP selected McCain and Romney who were honourable men and never went down that route.
    A fantastic and easy hook by Leon. TSE, for the photo, must be at least..
  • Options

alex_ said:

Lightweight
    A 'big city centre' somewhere in the Midlands. Most of the cities have quite compact centres. I'll guess Leicester, purely because of the long trek between the railway station and the bus station.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

The UK government could have left without a deal. That would have left the EU with the problem of how to deal with the land border in the island of Ireland since in principle they would have had to close it to protect the SM, and we wouldn't because we would have had insufficient interest in protecting the border.

We didn't. Meaning that Boris accepted the Ireland fudge which all parties knew could not work in the long term. Not least because it is obvious to all that unionist extremists in NI would not accept for ever the NI/GB divergence without resorting to civil unrest.

Boris's tactic was to accept the only way of leaving with a deal, and wait; hoping that in due course it may become a joint problem and not just ours. Hence the willingness to break with an international treaty. He has no alternative in these unique circumstances.

The EU wants the UK to break the red lines of our internal market. We want the EU to break their SM red lines. Both sides refuse to be the first to suggest an internal barrier. That is about the only hold Boris has.

The thing is we've got our cake and are eating it. Britain has a deal, and failing to implement the NI Protocol in the way the EU wanted it to exposes their bluff - they're not going to put up a border in the NI/Eire border, we're not going to put up an Irish Sea one, and they're not going to tear up the agreement because doing so means they will have to put up an NI/Eire border.

They have no chips to hold except "you agreed to this", which is not very meaningful in the circumstances. Especially since they agreed to Article 16 which is part of the agreement and can be invoked if need be - and if it is then what can they do without making their problems worse?

We hold all the cards.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Disappointing. You'll be telling us next that you have some Tory in you, or that you have a grudging respect for Ian Duncan Smith. Not good.
    Well there was a need to Make Work Pay and for all his demerits he seemed to ... no STOP!

You're right. Not good. I was 100% kidding.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Perhaps you push people to extremes.
  • Options

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

I think Ireland has actually ended up in a very exposed diplomatic position where, to coin a phrase, they now have to be lucky every time. We almost saw their position upended by the Commission over vaccines, and it would only take a similar incident that wasn't able to be walked back for serious political damage to be done to Ireland's faith in the EU.
    I don't think it's as bad as that for Ireland, the bigger issue is losing the biggest low tax, low regulation ally from the EU. This will take years to make a difference and in the next treaty which is surely coming now that the UK has left Ireland will be very exposed and IMO the EU may use it to get them to vote no to the treaty and gently push Ireland towards the door into the TCA or something very much like it.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

The EU wants the UK to break the red lines of our internal market. We want the EU to break their SM red lines. Both sides refuse to be the first to suggest an internal barrier. That is about the only hold Boris has.

The thing is we've got our cake and are eating it. Britain has a deal, and failing to implement the NI Protocol in the way the EU wanted it to exposes their bluff - they're not going to put up a border in the NI/Eire border, we're not going to put up an Irish Sea one, and they're not going to tear up the agreement because doing so means they will have to put up an NI/Eire border.

They have no chips to hold except "you agreed to this", which is not very meaningful in the circumstances. Especially since they agreed to Article 16 which is part of the agreement and can be invoked if need be - and if it is then what can they do without making their problems worse?

We hold all the cards.
    Until the day when the Dublin government, caught between Britain and the EU, says there are only two workable options: a hard border or a united Ireland.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

alednam said:

kinabalu said:

*More of a foghorn.
    That lasts as long as Boris is PM. When Rishi takes over that all goes away and the UK will suddenly become the next major country to have a non-white leader which will play very well with liberal America.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Lightweight
    A 'big city centre' somewhere in the Midlands. Most of the cities have quite compact centres. I'll guess Leicester, purely because of the long trek between the railway station and the bus station.
    Nottingham. It's really good here! Pub executives said that it was busier before 'Freedom Day' (Stage 4). They mentioned the students had gone home. They don't expect to be busy tomorrow.

We are up to about 10 in now.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If anything the Hundred isn't gimmicky enough. It's T20 with slightly fewer balls, ZX Speccy graphics and a pointless timeout. As a neutral and someone who is interested in cricket without being massively passionate about it, it's fine because it's actually not different enough from standard T20 to really justify any sort of loathing of it. The marketing bods clearly liked the name and then forgot to really do much else.

The only thing you can say about it so far really is the difference in atmosphere between the women's match and the men's match. Both good but one definitely for the family and the other for the Friday night pub crawl. Maybe that's a good thing.
  • Options
    Gnud said:

algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

We hold all the cards.
    Until the day when the Dublin government, caught between Britain and the EU, says there are only two workable options: a hard border or a united Ireland.
    Ireland will never push forcefully for a united Ireland because they are too scared of Loyalist violence and more decades of Troubles

The same goes for a hard border across Ireland, no one will ever impose it because they are too scared of IRA violence etc etc

The men with the balaclavas and the armalites have a veto on any solutions other than a fudged version of the status quo, so that is what will happen in the end, and Boris is arguably just being pragmatic and the EU is being purist for no purpose
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

I don't think it's as bad as that for Ireland, the bigger issue is losing the biggest low tax, low regulation ally from the EU. This will take years to make a difference and in the next treaty which is surely coming now that the UK has left Ireland will be very exposed and IMO the EU may use it to get them to vote no to the treaty and gently push Ireland towards the door into the TCA or something very much like it.
    Not so bad then. Only the prospect of 50 years’ foreign policy going up in smoke. 😟
  • Options
    Gnud said:

algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

We hold all the cards.
    Surely a hard border is not an option because Peace Process, and a united Ireland is unlikely because a majority would have to be found for it in the North *AND* the South would have to be prepared to take on the cost of funding the North.

Great Britain is about thirteen times bigger than the Republic of Ireland. The financial burden of reunification upon the latter would be very heavy.
  • Options

If anything the Hundred isn't gimmicky enough. It's T20 with slightly fewer balls, ZX Speccy graphics and a pointless timeout. As a neutral and someone who is interested in cricket without being massively passionate about it, it's fine because it's actually not different enough from standard T20 to really justify any sort of loathing of it. The marketing bods clearly liked the name and then forgot to really do much else.

The only thing you can say about it so far really is the difference in atmosphere between the women's match and the men's match. Both good but one definitely for the family and the other for the Friday night pub crawl. Maybe that's a good thing.

The Hundred doesn't really work as it's a non standard format. Worldwide we have tests, 50 overs and 20 overs. There is no need/market for another format.

In the pub the executive have turned it over to AUS/ARG Olympic football
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

The EU won't want to give Ireland the heave-ho and Ireland won't want to leave. If Dublin feels that it is politically unable to resist moves towards tax harmonisation then it will just have to lump it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391
    pigeon said:

Gnud said:

algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

We hold all the cards.
    Surely a hard border is not an option because Peace Process, and a united Ireland is unlikely because a majority would have to be found for it in the North *AND* the South would have to be prepared to take on the cost of funding the North.

Great Britain is about thirteen times bigger than the Republic of Ireland. The financial burden of reunification upon the latter would be very heavy.
    It's not the poor, agrarian economy of old, whose main export was navvies. Ireland now has a higher per-capita GDP than Northern Ireland, and could write its own aid cheques from America.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Lightweight
    Nottingham. It's really good here! Pub executives said that it was busier before 'Freedom Day' (Stage 4). They mentioned the students had gone home. They don't expect to be busy tomorrow.

I used to be a semi-regular drinker in Nottingham 20 or so years ago. The Fellows Morton and Clayton was my favourite, with an honourable mention to the Lincolnshire Poacher.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Bearing in mind that 30% of Hartelepool voted Remain, you probably have a better than 50% chance with that line with a young middle class female. Much more likely to fail if you fancy a retired working class bloke...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    First game of snooker since February 2020 this evening.

And I won 3-0.

But - the club I used to play at has gone bust in the interim.
  • Options
    ManciniMancini Posts: 9
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Bearing in mind that 30% of Hartelepool voted Remain, you probably have a better than 50% chance with that line with a young middle class female. Much more likely to fail if you fancy a retired working class bloke...
    I’m not sure the good folk of Hartlepool would consider dating an outsider
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Middle Class? Hartlepool?

• Options

alex_ said:

Lightweight

I used to be a semi-regular drinker in Nottingham 20 or so years ago. The Fellows Morton and Clayton was my favourite, with an honourable mention to the Lincolnshire Poacher.
    I went to a pub called Lincolnshire Poacher in Spalding many times. It is a top pub.

I was in Sleaford today. Has anyone else been there? Richard Tyndall??
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

First game of snooker since February 2020 this evening.

And I won 3-0.

But - the club I used to play at has gone bust in the interim.

Well as long as they didn’t destroy the table...
  • Options
    Why isn't there a Scottish team in the Hundred, or indeed an Irish one?

There are enough fans in both countries to make a decent team

I've changed my mind, I reckon the Hundred might work, but they should have mostly kept the T20 format AND had the new teams and the pzazz
  • Options

MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

Not so bad then. Only the prospect of 50 years’ foreign policy going up in smoke. 😟
    Lol, I think what they'll be offered is the TCA with alignment to EU standards so that Ireland has easier trade with the EU but isn't in the customs union. I can't imagine Ireland with their dodgy tax deals are particularly popular in Brussels and France will be eyeing up their financial and tech industries which are wholly dependent on exporting "services" to the EU. It's not like the UK where companies here serve a large domestic market as well as huge non-EU markets.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited July 2021
    FPT

Scott_xP said:

My piece in @newstatesman on Dominic Cummings' record - extraordinary tactical but destructive successes; never succeeding in replacing what he has destroyed with something better; creating problems faster than he solved them.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/07/how-dominic-cummings-always-makes-things-worse

A stunningly ill informed and ignorant piece by someone who doesn't seem to understand any of the subjects he talks about - not least how Parliamentary democracy works. Not really surprised you linked to such a fuck witted piece.
    Eh? Gauke is lamenting the fact that your man Cummings plotted to overthrow the democratically elected British prime minister. Or is your point that such plotting by unelected 'advisers' is all fine and dandy?
    It is truly sad that so many people seem to wilfully misunderstand or misrepresent Parliamentary democracy, including it seems Mr Dawning.

We do not elect a Prime Minister. Nor do we elect a Government. We elect an individual MP to represent us in Parliament. Enough of them together get to choose who will be PM and he then gets to choose his Government. If those MPs can be persuaded that the incumbent is no longer fit to be PM then they can get rid of them. It has happened many times before and is certainly not undemocratic nor is it plotting to 'overthrow the democratically elected British Prime Minister' because that PM was not elected by the electorate, he was chosen by a majority of the MPs and his continued existence as PM relies upon that same group of MPs continuing to support him.

There is absolutely nothing undemocratic about what Cummings has suggested anymore than it was undemocratic to get rid of Thatcher or May.

If you claim there is anything new about this plotting then you are simply being dishonest or stupid... or both.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

The EU wants the UK to break the red lines of our internal market. We want the EU to break their SM red lines. Both sides refuse to be the first to suggest an internal barrier. That is about the only hold Boris has. Despite the absoluteness of the SM rules, neither the RoI nor EU will enforce them at the internal border. Can Boris use this unusual weakness in the EU solidity to UK advantage?

It is a fascinating and high stakes process.

My expectation is that Johnson will stick with the Protocol, but there is maybe a 30% chance he won't. I have misread him before, so I wouldn't be too confident. I was genuinely surprised that he agreed the Protocol. I didn't think anyone would negotiate an arrangement that bad.
This discussion has been closed.