Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Farage opts for retirement 2021 style – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    rcs1000 said:

To go back to the German floods, it looks like as well as digging a massive sand quarry on a flood plain, there was also a coal mine:
    https://www.aachener-zeitung.de/imgs/48/1/1/0/7/7/6/8/8/9/tok_07f1bf0b460f5adc5135a1e97dadbb86/w1900_h766_x1796_y725_ZVA_mdb_27252829424978345-6cc816303862f785.jpg

This is a very large mine and you have to wonder if any coal fired power stations might go short. Buy Australian coal futures...

When this happened in near Leeds it took years to pump it out.

Sorry for replying to my own post....

The (lignite) mine is owned by RWE
    https://www.rwe.com/en/our-portfolio/our-sites/inden-mine-site

Reading the blurb tells me that the river was diverted around the mine in some super-eco friendly way. Unfortunately it decided to follow its old course during the flood - straight into the mine.

Hubris doesn't cover it.
    That's the end of several bucket wheel excavators, then. :(

I believe I'm right in saying the coal from these mines is not exactly Welsh steam coal in quality, and rather bad for the environment (even compared to other coals)?
    Assuming it's lignite (i.e. brown coal), then yes - it's low energy, high sulfur content.

It is, however, very cheap to mine as it is all surface strip mining. And if you put the power plant and the coal mine in the same place, you eliminate one of the most annoying parts of coal energy generation - the getting of the coal from mine to plant.
    Power plants also need a lot of cooling water.

So it looks like they've got that sorted too.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    NEW: Florida reports 8,505 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since April
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

As COVID cases soar in the UK, where is the disingenuous racist fat fornicator? Has the ugly m'f*cker found a fridge to hide in?

Without doubt, you are the most consistently repulsive poster on this forum.
    Nah, that’s me. You should meet me in person.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Gnud said:

CDC Director: "This is becoming the pandemic of the unvaccinated. The #DeltaVariant is racing through the unvaccinated communities."

WTF are "unvaccinated communities"?

Demographics in which there has been a relatively low take-up (such as - I guess - registered Republicans in Florida), those I can understand.
    Some American counties - rural ones in Red states - have only vaccinated 20-25% of adults.

Right now, the schools are out. But in a month, they return. Small towns may get absolutely hammered by Delta as a single case in a high school infects everyone.
    Florida in a week's time will be interesting as cases look to be "doing a Netherlands" and the state having blocked local municipalities from enacting any restrictions it could be carnage.

Or it could be fine, don't know what their vaccination percentage is at.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

alex_ said:

Total COVID meltdown. I'm staying in. Actually that's not true I am in an Indian restaurant. After 4 pints.

Will deaths be up to 1,000 a day by end July?

I am wearing a mask everywhere.

It's very scary.

QTWTAIN. They are 41 today. You are contemplating an overwhelming and sudden breakdown in vaccine protection.

IMO
    Anecdotally, and in contrast to previous times of rising cases, in my experiene people are not worrying as much about the current surge. They are worrying more than the government is, still plenty of people thinking reopening is a mistake and planning for longer term restrictions whereever possible, but I wonder if while we can all see the cases rise people, currently at any rate, just don't feel the situation as being as worrisome as previously.

I predicted when/if deaths reach 100 per day people will start really panicking again, but given how cautious people claim to be on Covid matters I'm surprised the panicking has not really taken off yet.
    It’s summer, the sun is out, contrast this with the situation in the second wave.
    Hitchin was ram-packed with people eating out, last night.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778
    Alistair said:

I see Bolton now has 2 days of cases above their May 7-day average peak.

The mathematically impossible has happened!

Eh?

Who claimed it was mathematically impossible for cases to be above May peaks?

Delta is highly transmissable. Schools are (or were) operating normally. And children are unvaccinated.

The question is what happens next, now that schools break up, the weather has improved and the Euros are behind us.
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    kle4 said:

alex_ said:

Total COVID meltdown. I'm staying in. Actually that's not true I am in an Indian restaurant. After 4 pints.

Will deaths be up to 1,000 a day by end July?

I am wearing a mask everywhere.

It's very scary.

QTWTAIN. They are 41 today. You are contemplating an overwhelming and sudden breakdown in vaccine protection.

IMO
    Anecdotally, and in contrast to previous times of rising cases, in my experiene people are not worrying as much about the current surge. They are worrying more than the government is, still plenty of people thinking reopening is a mistake and planning for longer term restrictions whereever possible, but I wonder if while we can all see the cases rise people, currently at any rate, just don't feel the situation as being as worrisome as previously.

I predicted when/if deaths reach 100 per day people will start really panicking again, but given how cautious people claim to be on Covid matters I'm surprised the panicking has not really taken off yet.
    Except among some on PB.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Alistair said:

Oops...
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    rcs1000 said:

Gnud said:

CDC Director: "This is becoming the pandemic of the unvaccinated. The #DeltaVariant is racing through the unvaccinated communities."

Demographics in which there has been a relatively low take-up (such as - I guess - registered Republicans in Florida), those I can understand.
    Some American counties - rural ones in Red states - have only vaccinated 20-25% of adults.

Right now, the schools are out. But in a month, they return. Small towns may get absolutely hammered by Delta as a single case in a high school infects everyone.
    Sturgis motorbike rally in 3 weeks. Will history repeat itself in South Dakota?
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Gnud said:

Florida in a week's time will be interesting as cases look to be "doing a Netherlands" and the state having blocked local municipalities from enacting any restrictions it could be carnage.

Florida's is "OK". They're at 66% of adults having had one dose, i.e. around the US average.

That will, however, hide some stark disparities. The big cities are likely well protected, but the rural hinterlands are not.
    alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Gnud said:

Sturgis motorbike rally in 3 weeks. Will history repeat itself in South Dakota?
    I’d really like to witness that one day.
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Delta is highly transmissable. Schools are (or were) operating normally. And children are unvaccinated.

The question is what happens next, now that schools break up, the weather has improved and the Euros are behind us.
    That fact that Bolton peaked in May was used as extremely confident evidence that Delta had burned out fast.

It had ripped through the remaining unvaccinated and that was it done. With increasing vaccination numbers there was no new people to infect and it was over. Delta had flared briefly and was gone with only faint echoes in the surrounding counties.

Cases 100% deffo peaked at less than 10k.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Gnud said:

Florida's is "OK". They're at 66% of adults having had one dose, i.e. around the US average.

That will, however, hide some stark disparities. The big cities are likely well protected, but the rural hinterlands are not.
    Just as well the rural hinterlands have lots of space and fresh air to protect themselves, then.
    edited July 2021
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

That fact that Bolton peaked in May was used as extremely confident evidence that Delta had burned out fast.

It had ripped through the remaining unvaccinated and that was it done. With increasing vaccination numbers there was no new people to infect and it was over. Delta had flared briefly and was gone with only faint echoes in the surrounding counties.

Can’t really escape the belief that the last month has been all about the football. Not the crowds. But the home and pub spectators. But ultimately, it may all be a good thing.
    Wow, amazingly Sweden have changed their reporting systems so they input cases etc into the system even slower than before.

Just outstanding.
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Oops...
    Kirklees was another favoured municipality for showing Covid was over.

Now, err, 10% over their January peak.
    alex_ said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Can’t really escape the belief that the last month has been all about the football. Not the crowds. But the home and pub spectators. But ultimately, it may all be a good thing.
    Undoubtedly the crowds in pubs. Edinburgh pubs were clearly heaving for the group matches.

And once scotland got knocked out (and schools went out) cases peaked and started declining.
    edited July 2021
    Quick look at the covid dashboard for vaccinations, Bolton still have relative very low fully vaccinated levels.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153
    DougSeal said:

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

As COVID cases soar in the UK, where is the disingenuous racist fat fornicator? Has the ugly m'f*cker found a fridge to hide in?

Nah, that’s me. You should meet me in person.
    Had to check whether that was aimed at me 😊😊😊😊
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037

murali_s said:

I have been busy with organising my sons wedding two weeks today and just logged on to read this and shake my head with disbelief at this post

No matter how much you despise any politician is this really necessary
    Give it a break BigG. "Picanninies!", "Letterboxes" etc. We have a PM who is a racist piece of sh*t and you want me to stay silent.

Will take the knee every single time buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-TJpGSjWdE
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Thanks.

How are things with UKIP/BNP/NF buddy?
    edited July 2021
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57874404

Cases are clearly rising but I do wonder how many people are REALLY being pinged by the app, and how many are finding it convenient to say so - given that (especially for those in the public sector not able to work from home) it’s basically time off without pay, without need to justify. Are employers asking for anything in the way of evidence? The anonymity of the app does represent a real problem in this respect, because there’s no way to verify, and little way to actually verify that people are self isolating either.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

I have been busy with organising my sons wedding two weeks today and just logged on to read this and shake my head with disbelief at this post

No matter how much you despise any politician is this really necessary
    Give it a break BigG. "Picanninies!", "Letterboxes" etc. We have a PM who is a racist piece of sh*t and you want me to stay silent.

Will take the knee every single time buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-TJpGSjWdE
    No, he just wants you to stop spouting stuff like in your earlier post. It's fine to criticise, but we aren't in the playground here.
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

You're engaging in a little bit of strawman-ism here.

Once we learned that the R of Delta was 10, it was always going to rip through unvaccinated communities.

While it's pretty horrible for those people affected, there is clearly a natural limit to how bad it can be. Now, would it be better for people to get their immune systems primed via vaccinations? Yes! And I don't know why the UK government has not followed the US, France and others in allow those aged 12 and older to get vaccinated.

But ultimately, this wave of Covid is not causing the levels of hospitalisation that previous waves did. Indeed, the hospitalisation-to-case ratio continues to improve as more people get vaccinated and the average age of the unvaccinated community drops.

Every day there are fewer unprotected people.

Now, we could keep restrictions in place for longer. But given schools (see Scotland) seem to be the biggest vector of transmission, and are breaking up, why would you bother?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    murali_s said:

Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Thanks.

How are things with UKIP/BNP/NF buddy?
    Probably better than in the cesspit you wallow in with all the other pigs.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    NEW: a big intervention tonight from all four independent public health bodies representing more than 130 public health directors in the UK.

In a letter to the Observer ahead of Monday’s reopening, they warn the PM against “letting Covid rip.”

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1416465319619702784

Quick look at the covid dashboard for vaccinations, Bolton still have relative very low fully vaccinated levels.

High population density
    Lots of Delta seeding
    Low levels of vaccine uptake

But you know what... the North West NHS is doing OK. Just 98 admissions for Covid today and the number on mechanical ventilation is up only 50% in the last month.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016
    Floater said:

Good for him if true

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1416456419881242624

EXCLUSIVE Starmer set to expel 1,000 far left Labour members in four ‘poisonous’ groups

Corbyn included?

Momentum as well or serkeir is frit.
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

High population density
    Lots of Delta seeding
    Low levels of vaccine uptake

But you know what... the North West NHS is doing OK. Just 98 admissions for Covid today and the number on mechanical ventilation is up only 50% in the last month.
    What it does also show is media clips of long queues and vox pops of people saying if only they made the vaccine available does not correlate to high vaccine take up.

In Bolton they fudged the rules and found reasons that basically anyone who wanted a vaccine could get one early via often spurious reasons that they were high risk, so it isn't even that younger people have been waiting.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,297
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Once we learned that the R of Delta was 10, it was always going to rip through unvaccinated communities.

While it's pretty horrible for those people affected, there is clearly a natural limit to how bad it can be. Now, would it be better for people to get their immune systems primed via vaccinations? Yes! And I don't know why the UK government has not followed the US, France and others in allow those aged 12 and older to get vaccinated.

But ultimately, this wave of Covid is not causing the levels of hospitalisation that previous waves did. Indeed, the hospitalisation-to-case ratio continues to improve as more people get vaccinated and the average age of the unvaccinated community drops.

Now, we could keep restrictions in place for longer. But given schools (see Scotland) seem to be the biggest vector of transmission, and are breaking up, why would you bother?
    Is Delta really R10??

I thought it was R6

R10 must make it one of the most infectious diseases ever?
    #COVID19: The London Underground's Metropolitan line has been suspended and others are facing disruption after the amount of people being pinged by the NHS COVID-19 app left the service short-staffed https://trib.al/4kDHgVq
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Is Delta really R10??

I thought it was R6

A BBC article says "as high as 8", with measles at 18.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57431420
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Is Delta really R10??

I thought it was R6

In a completely unvaccinated (virgin) community, it is around 10, maybe even a little higher.
    Scott_xP said:

#COVID19: The London Underground's Metropolitan line has been suspended and others are facing disruption after the amount of people being pinged by the NHS COVID-19 app left the service short-staffed https://trib.al/4kDHgVq

Another reason for automatic trains?
    Yes, if CV19 Delta has a reproductive number R10 that puts in the elite bracket of contagiousness

Way ahead of smallpox, Ebola, Norovirus and the common cold, and many others

Only a few bugs - measles, mumps and malaria - outdo it. Fascinating graph here:

https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/10/17/6993851/diseases-deadly-infectious-reproduction-information-beautiful
    We're quite lucky that rabies is not that contagious - about R1.3 - given that it has a pretty striking case fatality rate of 100%. Everyone dies
    Boris Johnson may have to spend "Freedom Day" in self-isolation because he met Javid on Friday, sources say https://trib.al/rHTAoej
    And we’ve done it. We’re the world leader. https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/status/1416461320602456069/photo/1

Scott_xP said:

And we’ve done it. We’re the world leader. https://twitter.com/trishgreenhalgh/status/1416461320602456069/photo/1

At testing, you mean?
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Are you really trying to compare individual days now with a weekly average in a different period ?

Really ???
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Is Delta really R10??

I thought it was R6

In a completely unvaccinated (virgin) community, it is around 10, maybe even a little higher.
    If we hadn't got the vaccines - imagine.

It's so infectious everyone would get it, 1% would die and 10% would go to hospital. That's 78 million dead and 780 million in hospital

Except it wouldn't be that, because 780 million people in hospital = global collapse in healthcare, and probably 500 million dead, and wars, and famine

We have come very close to an utter apocalypse. That is one reason it REALLY matters where this wretched virus came from
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944

Floater said:

Good for him if true

EXCLUSIVE Starmer set to expel 1,000 far left Labour members in four ‘poisonous’ groups

Corbyn included?

The main problem is the trots Kinnock threw out and Miliband let back in. And the Tories. But is this serious or just Mandelson's "take on your own party" playbook? I doubt the voter on the Clapham omnibus will give a damn either way.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Funny how none of them can work underground on a really nice and sunny day
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Many of them are. I think it's only the Bakerloo that operates entirely on steam and human wit.
    edited July 2021

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

Are you really trying to compare individual days now with a weekly average in a different period ?

Really ???
    How is Kirklees working out for you?

Edit: thr implication is that the Bol on current 7 day average is going to rise pas the May "peak".
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Rather the opposite. If you follow the link, the isolating pingees are control room staff, not drivers.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Another increase in cases in France to 10949.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

What I find curious is that the doom-mongers never seem to have anything constructive to say.

The 'there must be more restrictions now or else we will need restrictions in the autumn' doesn't have any logic to it.

Delta isn't going to disappear no matter how many restrictions there are so the question becomes one of timing.

So do we want Delta to pass through the country during summer or to try (with consequent negative side effects) to delay it until the autumn and winter.
    edited July 2021

Cloth face masks are 'comfort blankets' that do little to curb Covid spread, Sage adviser warns

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/17/cloth-face-masks-comfort-blankets-do-little-curb-covid-spread/

It's about time this was said. How many lives have been lost already as a result of the government not giving people this information? What is worse, many Cabinet ministers have been walking about wearing these pieces of crap for more than a year now. I really hope Sajid Javid recovers.

3M say a single pair of 6035 P3R filters for one of their 7500 series respirator masks should last out a whole "pandemic wave". A mask, a pair of filters, and a spare pair will set you back about £45.

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Eh?

What I find curious is that the doom-mongers never seem to have anything constructive to say.

The 'there must be more restrictions now or else we will need restrictions in the autumn' doesn't have any logic to it.

Delta isn't going to disappear no matter how many restrictions there are so the question becomes one of timing.

So do we want Delta to pass through the country during summer or to try (with consequent negative side effects) to delay it until the autumn and winter.
    Yougang Gu, one of the best modellers in 2020, put it like this -

“To summarize my thoughts on the Delta variant:

1) It poses a real risk to those with no immunity.

2) The virus is here to stay. There’ll be more variants. This is the new normal.

3) Regions with larger outbreaks now will see smaller outbreaks in the winter & vice versa.”

https://twitter.com/youyanggu/status/1415727341591044102
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100
    Lol.

This will trigger Euro-Twitter :wink:
    Gnud said:

Cloth face masks are 'comfort blankets' that do little to curb Covid spread, Sage adviser warns

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/17/cloth-face-masks-comfort-blankets-do-little-curb-covid-spread/

It's about time this was said. How many lives have been lost already as a result of the government not giving people this information? What is worse, many Cabinet ministers have been walking about wearing these pieces of crap for more than a year now. I really hope Sajid Javid recovers.

3M say a single pair of 6035 P3R filters for one of their 7500 series respirator masks should last out a whole "pandemic wave". A mask, a pair of filters, and a spare pair will set you back about £45.
    Those comments are from an engineer. What does an actual expert in viral transmission think?
    Scott_xP said:

Must be because we opened up next Monday.

Permanent quarantine

"New Zealand is retreating from the world. 91% of locals do not expect life to return to normal, even once they are vaccinated. Jacinda Ardern: “our borders are likely to change quite permanently as a result of Covid-19.”"

https://twitter.com/HughDalton20/status/1416214453000065024?s=20
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Are we saying if we hadn't been wearing masks we would be at 150,000 cases per day now?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2021
    Gnud said:

I acquired one like that at the very beginning, in Feb 2020. I'm not convinced it is a great look, and I haven't used it, as I've never needed to go anywhere with high enough risk. I was tempted to donate it to the hospital during wave 1, although I suspect they need a closed supply chain.

When I bought it (for quite a lot less than £45, in fact) there was no indication that the government would ever consider a lockdown and every chance that you'd be fighting your way through the supermarket for a mouldy cabbage - in which case I would have used it.

If Delta had been the first variant, we might well have been doing that...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    Is there a reliable estimate of how many people in the UK have had Covid so far?

Half the population? More?

Using rough and ready figures of 150,000 deaths and an average death rate of 0.5%* since it all kicked off, that would be 30 million infections.

*This figure may be very wrong.

Scott_xP said:

Have you ever posted anything positive on here?!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

At testing, you mean?
    The table's been conveniently cropped to hide the daily deaths column.

Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

"New Zealand is retreating from the world. 91% of locals do not expect life to return to normal, even once they are vaccinated. Jacinda Ardern: “our borders are likely to change quite permanently as a result of Covid-19.”"

I'm glad I don't live under St Jacinda 👍
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited July 2021

Scott_xP said:

Have you ever posted anything positive on here?!
    I think you are in glass half empty mode.

Perhaps change your username for a while?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

This is the full piece from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/17/no-return-to-normal-expected-in-post-pandemic-new-zealand-and-locals-say-thats-fine-covid-19

It's easy to read the headline and draw a conclusion. Read the article and I came away with a different thought - clearly, NZ is going to prioritise the re-opening of its borders to those countries with strong vaccination programmes. The problem for Aotearoa is they are hugely dependent on tourism as well as the residual extensive familial connections to the UK and of course the strong economic linkage to Australia.

I suspect once NZ itself has got a much higher proportion of its population vaccinated, we'll see a shift in policy.
    Floater said:

Good for him if true

Corbyn included?

The Senior Management of Unite the Union, hopefully :smile:

Inclined not to speculate beyond that forlorn hope.
    RobD said:

Gnud said:

Those comments are from an engineer. What does an actual expert in viral transmission think?
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/e006577

"Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%."
    RobD said:

Gnud said:

Mask design is an engineering job.
    But I take your point, and hopefully some of the experts who post here will chip in. Some of the sources I've found say that cloth is better than nothing in the population at large, assuming people are educated in how to wear it correctly and given the unfeasibility of distributing medical-grade PPE to the masses.

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

At testing, you mean?

I wonder why.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    Meanwhile. Just leisurely watched youngest make 37 opening the batting on YouTube.
    Village cricket on your phone. Who'd have thought it?
    Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

The new 18C Japan.
    Gnud said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

But I take your point, and hopefully some of the experts who post here will chip in. Some of the sources I've found say that cloth is better than nothing in the population at large, assuming people are educated in how to wear it correctly and given the unfeasibility of distributing medical-grade PPE to the masses.
    Seems to me that he's taken a rather simplistic assumption that because the size of the viral particle is small (0.1 micron), a cloth mask is ineffective. Well guess what, the N95 mask only offers protection down to 0.3 microns. I think that assumption is wrong, the viral particles are carried by larger droplets of water, which both an N95 and a cloth mask will help block.

Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

I don't know what your problem is with her but last September she won an overwhelming re-election and the centre-right National Party was smashed recording its second worst ever election result.

New Zealand has a lot of advantages the UK doesn't have - its remoteness primarily. Closing the borders (something many think we should have done but the Government refused to do) has meant the coronavirus has, in human terms, not had a huge impact.
    Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

I think the article was a lot more nuanced than that.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Any projections for France for a weeks time?

I'm going for 24601
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

This is the full piece from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/17/no-return-to-normal-expected-in-post-pandemic-new-zealand-and-locals-say-thats-fine-covid-19

It's easy to read the headline and draw a conclusion. Read the article and I came away with a different thought - clearly, NZ is going to prioritise the re-opening of its borders to those countries with strong vaccination programmes. The problem for Aotearoa is they are hugely dependent on tourism as well as the residual extensive familial connections to the UK and of course the strong economic linkage to Australia.

I suspect once NZ itself has got a much higher proportion of its population vaccinated, we'll see a shift in policy.
    If I were to guess, I'd say the permanent change is going to be a vaccine/PCR requirement.
    Gnud said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

You're ignoring a massive number of other things: for example if the speed at which your breath exits the cloth mask is lower then the particles have less kinetic energy and therefore go less far and hang around in the air for less time.

Is there a reliable estimate of how many people in the UK have had Covid so far?

Half the population? More?

Using rough and ready figures of 150,000 deaths and an average death rate of 0.5%* since it all kicked off, that would be 30 million infections.

*This figure may be very wrong.

I very much doubt it's above 20%.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    MattW said:

Lol.

This will trigger Euro-Twitter :wink:

What? Trigger gales of laughter from what I can see! 🤣🤣🤣
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

I don't know what your problem is with her but last September she won an overwhelming re-election and the centre-right National Party was smashed recording its second worst ever election result.

New Zealand has a lot of advantages the UK doesn't have - its remoteness primarily. Closing the borders (something many think we should have done but the Government refused to do) has meant the coronavirus has, in human terms, not had a huge impact.
    I don't like her and what she stands for ok?

👍
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Floater said:

Good for him if true

Corbyn included?

The main problem is the trots Kinnock threw out and Miliband let back in. And the Tories. But is this serious or just Mandelson's "take on your own party" playbook? I doubt the voter on the Clapham omnibus will give a damn either way.
    May be a mistake to presume everyone who voted Brexit have the same idea about what is needed. I’ve a hunch red Brexit supporters quite like the lefty radicalism as next step. What unites Brexit supporters is turn the clock back, because they have the view things were so much better back then, not in a greedy way, they want that better for their children and grandchildren, they want that better for the whole nation. Was it not so much better when there were 40k jobs in the car plant, not 4K. Was it not better before the country become swamped by immigrants, now there’s not enough homes for anyone, all the council houses full of asylum seekers, worse, all the green spaces they remember as kids is being built on because the nation is full. And the hospitals they fondly remembered closed. And they blame successive governments for this - not globalisation or deindustrialisation, it was actually policy of successive governments, from Thatcher through Blair to today. The red Brexit voters want to turn the clock back to a better time before Thatcher ****** everything up with deregulation and privatisation.

Note. Not necessarily all my views, but does show not to presume all Brexit voters from across political spectrum like minded about the road to be taken?

So where you say person on bus doesn’t care, they hear Starmer destroying the Labour policies and expelling the radicalism they want, doing this Starmer has lost their vote, and without it cannot get anywhere near power, even coalition power.

I'm going for 24601
    Sounds about right, then about 33,000, then 42,000... etc.
    rcs1000 said:

I'm going for 24601
    Sounds about right, then about 33,000, then 42,000... etc.
    Do you withdraw your prediction that UK Peak Daily Cases was "yesterday"?

stodge said:

Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

I don't like her and what she stands for ok?

👍
    I'm sure she thinks the world of you :)
    RobD said:

Gnud said:

Yeah, it will do that, provided there is a good skin seal. Pretty uncomfortable though and difficult to communicate.

Something like this is probably better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RJEML6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4HMDQE6BEKTB8BYZQ1TK
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    Hope they didn't pay too much for the useless feckers.
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

Yeah, it will do that, provided there is a good skin seal. Pretty uncomfortable though and difficult to communicate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RJEML6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4HMDQE6BEKTB8BYZQ1TK
    Aren't the ones with valves supposed to be particularly bad?
    dixiedean said:
    The figures are nonsense though. No way will covid kill 10 million in Myanmar.
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

Aren't the ones with valves supposed to be particularly bad?
    No, the user gets the full protection, but there is less protection for bystanders, more like a regular mask.

We wear unvalved at work, but valved are more comfortable.
    dixiedean said:
    Good God

Can this possibly be true?!

"One very reputable public health specialist expects that the population will be decimated by at least 10-15 million by the time Covid is done with Myanmar."
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Permanent quarantine

But we are nowhere near through this and don’t know what the end is going to be. We don’t know what the full human impact Will be.
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:
    The figures are nonsense though. No way will covid kill 10 million in Myanmar.
    It does seem insane. Myanmar has a population of 55m. So she is predicting it will kill 20-30% of the country. Nuts

She appears to be basing her extrapolations on a collapsed health system in a poor country, but we have already seen that - in parts of Mexico, south America, India

It is horrible and gruesome, but it does not kill 1 in 3
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:
    Good God

"One very reputable public health specialist expects that the population will be decimated by at least 10-15 million by the time Covid is done with Myanmar."
    No!

RobD said:

If I were to guess, I'd say the permanent change is going to be a vaccine/PCR requirement.

What I found interesting from the piece were two things:

1) Jacinda Ahern (big fan of @londonpubman but don't tell him) compared covid to a terrorist attack. It's an analogy I've used and there are some elements of truth.

2) There's a recognition life is going to change - it won't change the same for everyone everywhere but for a lot of people, life won't be the same and that, oddly enough, isn't always a bad thing.

How we understand, accept and embrace change is the challenge of life. I sense too many have a febrile desire to return to a pre-Covid life but that has gone, the world, whether we like it or not, has moved on.
    stodge said:

RobD said:

1) Jacinda Ahern (big fan of @londonpubman but don't tell him) compared covid to a terrorist attack. It's an analogy I've used and there are some elements of truth.

2) There's a recognition life is going to change - it won't change the same for everyone everywhere but for a lot of people, life won't be the same and that, oddly enough, isn't always a bad thing.

How we understand, accept and embrace change is the challenge of life. I sense too many have a febrile desire to return to a pre-Covid life but that has gone, the world, whether we like it or not, has moved on.
    Indeed in yougov this week, a lot of people do not want a return to status quo ante:

stodge said:

RobD said:

Some of the changes are definitely positive. The money ploughed into vaccine research and development will surely (hopefully) have long-lasting benefits.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,842
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:
    Good God

Foxy says no. However, the situation, with the government at War with the people and the doctors, is unique.
    Can think of no other place, however terrible the regime, which actively seems to want folk dead of Covid.
    We could see what a death toll might look like with no medical care.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    Rachel Wearmouth
    @REWearmouth
    · 2h
    EXC Labour Against The Witchhunt, Labour In Exile, Socialist Appeal & Resist are set to be proscribed by Labour's ruling NEC as Starmer bids to stamp out "toxic extremism"
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    Delta prevalence, US hospitalizations, vaccination rate
    Great @nytgraphics #dataviz work today by @LaurenLeatherby and
    @amyswalk

https://nytimes.com/interactive/2021/07/17/us/delta-variant-us-growth.html
    We're ~80% Delta for new cases in the US now http://outbreak.info States w/highest vaccination rates holding up well

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1416486898516652034
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

At testing, you mean?

Scottn'Cut at it again.
This discussion has been closed.