Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Opinium finds 50% saying COVID restrictions should continue beyond July 19th – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,614
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

This is some bonfire. Looks like something from Game of Thrones...

https://twitter.com/EmmaVardyTV/status/1412786119876485121

Looks fun!
    I particularly liked one of the tweets that pointed out all the blue pallets were blue because they were treated with carcinogens and shouldnt be burnt....oh well I am sure they will all have a fun class action suit 20 years from now
    Also suspecting the people who built this also are XR supporters and have no sense of irony
    People have been mentioning that burning pallet wood is really bad idea, for years. The NI bonfire builders have, at least, reduced the number of car tires they use.....
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The Sunday Times say the gap between jabs is going to be reduced to four weeks.

Exactly as I expected. First doses are finished, so now can bring forward second doses since we don't need jabs for firsts anymore.

Which is why it was right to stick with Pfizer in the final stretch, as AZ can't be brought forwards now.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

My older daughter's school in North London is missing "40 teachers" who are all isolating, and hundreds of kids

This is not an education. These children are suffering

I was just listening to Dr John Campbell. If I heard correctly, then in today's video he said that missing school isn't that important, as kids will catch up. (apologies if I didn't hear that correctly).

A lot of people seem to think that, but I am unconvinced (I am also not an educationalist). We got the little 'uns year report back yesterday, and I'm happy/proud/ecstatic to say it was good. But he had a parent who could devote vast amounts of time to teaching and playing with him during the lockdown, and the resources to buy teaching aids - including a laptop and subscription to Twinkl.

Many of his schoolfriends didn't have those advantages, and some are way behind. They may catch up, but I suspect many will no - although that probably varies according to age as well.

I'm also unsure that throwing vast amounts of money to help these kids catch up will help them - the ones whose education has been damaged most might also be the hardest to get the help to.
    I would hate being a student who was due to sit their GCSEs and A Levels in 2020/21 and in the next few years.

Those are the ones I really worry about. It'll impact their lives, their choice of universities etc.
    I think that's very true. Two of my nieces are in exactly that situation. I think they'll do okay, but it certainly hasn't been easy.
    They should remember that they are competing only with their own age group. Once they've started work, or even university, no-one will care what GCSEs or A-levels they passed. And that their cohort is all in the same boat.
    It's going to be interesting to see what sort of Doctors they turn out to be.
    No offence intended, but has there been anything in your 'A' level knowledge that would actually stop you being an effective doctor today? I'm guessing almost everything you use on a day to day basis is from med school onwards.

It is more a question of whether their baseline knowledge is good enough. There is a lot of complicated biochemistry in the first year, hence we normally require an A at A level Chemistry.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

My older daughter's school in North London is missing "40 teachers" who are all isolating, and hundreds of kids

I was just listening to Dr John Campbell. If I heard correctly, then in today's video he said that missing school isn't that important, as kids will catch up. (apologies if I didn't hear that correctly).

A lot of people seem to think that, but I am unconvinced (I am also not an educationalist). We got the little 'uns year report back yesterday, and I'm happy/proud/ecstatic to say it was good. But he had a parent who could devote vast amounts of time to teaching and playing with him during the lockdown, and the resources to buy teaching aids - including a laptop and subscription to Twinkl.

Many of his schoolfriends didn't have those advantages, and some are way behind. They may catch up, but I suspect many will no - although that probably varies according to age as well.

I'm also unsure that throwing vast amounts of money to help these kids catch up will help them - the ones whose education has been damaged most might also be the hardest to get the help to.
    I would hate being a student who was due to sit their GCSEs and A Levels in 2020/21 and in the next few years.

Those are the ones I really worry about. It'll impact their lives, their choice of universities etc.
    I think that's very true. Two of my nieces are in exactly that situation. I think they'll do okay, but it certainly hasn't been easy.
    They should remember that they are competing only with their own age group. Once they've started work, or even university, no-one will care what GCSEs or A-levels they passed. And that their cohort is all in the same boat.
    I would not have thought disrupted school education would affect new medical students. Surely the problems are with existing clinical students and perhaps even junior hospital doctors in those specialities that have more or less ground to a halt for Covid.
    I mean that many have got in with lower grades than normally required for Med School entry though we are not sure who.

Clearly there has been significant disruption to undergrads too. We shall see what the effects are at finals, I suppose.

So what if they've got lower grades? Medical schools will admit the same number of students as they do every year, who will presumably be towards the top of their year. It is possible it might make a difference at the individual level, at the margin, but that will be true every year.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

I would not have thought disrupted school education would affect new medical students. Surely the problems are with existing clinical students and perhaps even junior hospital doctors in those specialities that have more or less ground to a halt for Covid.
    I mean that many have got in with lower grades than normally required for Med School entry though we are not sure who.

Clearly there has been significant disruption to undergrads too. We shall see what the effects are at finals, I suppose.

So what if they've got lower grades? Medical schools will admit the same number of students as they do every year, who will presumably be towards the top of their year. It is possible it might make a difference at the individual level, at the margin, but that will be true every year.
    If they do as well as previous years, there is a case that we should drop the marks required, and make selection on other grounds.

My Med School compares in course performance to scores at interview stations etc, in order to determine which are the best predictors, and modifies stations as a result.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Strasbourg Syndrome:

Just in case anyone has forgotten, the three lions are French - we were ruled by them in the 12th and 13th century.

https://twitter.com/jmpsimor/status/1413975753134419969
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Eric Feigl-Ding
    @DrEricDing
    ·
    1h
    5) We know Boris won’t resign, and @sajidjavid
    loves Ayn Rand too much to back down, but I hope @CMO_England
    Chris Witty will find the empathy in his heart to oppose the sadistic Boris’s 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 strategy of mass infection that is = “Epidemiological stupidity”, or resign in principle.

Balanced view.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

If they do as well as previous years, there is a case that we should drop the marks required, and make selection on other grounds.

My Med School compares in course performance to scores at interview stations etc, in order to determine which are the best predictors, and modifies stations as a result.
    And then offer places to the nice middle class kids with a mother or father who is a doctor and have been able to play the system.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Pagan2 said:

Looks fun!
    I particularly liked one of the tweets that pointed out all the blue pallets were blue because they were treated with carcinogens and shouldnt be burnt....oh well I am sure they will all have a fun class action suit 20 years from now
    I believe blue pallets are blue because they are returnable. Not an expert but I use old pallets for storing logs, making small mammal homes and compost areas. I collect them foc from a nursery and can't take the blue ones for this reason.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    More polling bollocks. Restrictions for other people.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

And then offer places to the nice middle class kids with a mother or father who is a doctor and have been able to play the system.
    On the contrary, we have modified the selection criteria over the years to favour backgrounds of educational and social disadvantage, by showing that these students flourish.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,914
    MaxPB said:

I would be interested to know what the eggheads say are the risks / added infection of the various restrictions.

No Masks in enclosed spaces where you will for a long time e.g. public transportation you would think is a totally different scale of risk to 50 people outside.

Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said this week that we may not get back to normal until next spring and is privately said to be very concerned that people will not take to heart the need to carry on with precautions after legal restrictions are lifted

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/englands-nervous-scientists-know-covid-will-not-vanish-on-july-19-rxx27r2nd
    What do these people f*cking expect?

Humans are social creatures and Covid restrictions are anti-human in nature. People who support "indefinite" restrictions essentially mean they support indefinite restrictions for other people.

This can't go on forever.
    This is the revenge of the nerds who had no friends and couldn't get laid at uni forcing their antisocial incel lifestyle onto the rest of us.
    Who are you calling a nerd??? :lol:
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Looks fun!
    I believe blue pallets are blue because they are returnable. Not an expert but I use old pallets for storing logs, making small mammal homes and compost areas. I collect them foc from a nursery and can't take the blue ones for this reason.
    I understood they were treated with methyl bromide to keep pests away while carrying foodstuffs
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    tlg86 said:

I wonder whether the public are deliberately giving misleading answers to the pollsters, just to be awkward.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MattW said:

I see Marxism is winning.

Show some balls lads - take a knee during our dirge of an anthem.

You can be bloody sure that's when Gary Neville would have done it.
    That's probably the point. Now everyone has seen that taking the knee lasts just a few seconds – blink and you miss it – even a lot of its former armchair opponents are wondering what all the fuss is about.
    IMO the fuss is about the donkeys at the FA allowing the whole game to become politicised, and to drive that forward as an organisation; once that has happened they are vulnerable to whatever loopy or dangerous cause comes up next.

They have managed to split their fans down the middle, make a spectacle where none as needed, and embarrass the country, and embarrass the game. All at a time when British football has a good record on this question. They are their own worst enemy.

AFAIK no other country's association has institutionalised the BLM political gesture to the same degree, and left it to the players. Most have given the cause a nod and moved on to play football.

Not our FA, unfortunately.

In 1936 we had a Nazi salute in Berlin because when the players were uncomfortable, the Ambassador convinced them it was 'a courtesy'. In similar circumstances, the Irish team did not do the fascist salute.

The FA should have kept their nose well out. When the European Commission tried to use the UEFA match in Munich to have a political go at the Hungarian (?) Government over equal rights, EUFA correctly refused to be used as a political football.

Poor, ignorant, complacent Football Association.
    It was actually in May 1938 that the Nazi salute was given by the England team.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,914

Strasbourg Syndrome:

Just in case anyone has forgotten, the three lions are French - we were ruled by them in the 12th and 13th century.

I thought Lions are nowadays only found in Africa and (a small region of western) India.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited July 2021

MaxPB said:

I would be interested to know what the eggheads say are the risks / added infection of the various restrictions.

No Masks in enclosed spaces where you will for a long time e.g. public transportation you would think is a totally different scale of risk to 50 people outside.

Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said this week that we may not get back to normal until next spring and is privately said to be very concerned that people will not take to heart the need to carry on with precautions after legal restrictions are lifted

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/englands-nervous-scientists-know-covid-will-not-vanish-on-july-19-rxx27r2nd
    What do these people f*cking expect?

Humans are social creatures and Covid restrictions are anti-human in nature. People who support "indefinite" restrictions essentially mean they support indefinite restrictions for other people.

This can't go on forever.
    This is the revenge of the nerds who had no friends and couldn't get laid at uni forcing their antisocial incel lifestyle onto the rest of us.
    Who are you calling a nerd??? :lol:
    "people will not take to heart the need to carry on with precautions after legal restrictions are lifted"

LOL.

I suggest the experts walk away from their keyboards and visit my local tonight where the singing and dancing was in full swing.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    edited July 2021
    Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Looks fun!
    I understood they were treated with methyl bromide to keep pests away while carrying foodstuffs
    To be honest I didn't know, just what I was told. But I have just looked it up and I am correct. It is because they are returnable. Methyl Bromide pallets are stamped MB and you are right they mustn't be burned. They apparently haven't been used for years.
    (a) We were told that once the vulnerable were vaccinated, we would be able to end the lockdown restrictions.

(b) The vulnerable have now been vaccinated.

(c) So why do 50% want to continue with the lockdown restrictions?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited July 2021
    Friend of mine had her first jab today (Only just eligible) - her gap was 3 weeks. Good to see the official gap is being moved down to 4 weeks !
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    England fans pack into pubs, knocking back beers and singing football songs in last night

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9776389/England-fans-pack-pubs-knocking-beers-singing-football-songs-eve-final.html

COVID....COVID....COOOOOOVID......COVID......COVID...COVID...COOOOOVID...COVID....
    edited July 2021
    The gradient of the lines of cases for Spain and Greece looks rather similar to Holland.
    edited July 2021
    Do the English really put pineapple on pizza?" asks the Italian daily La Repubblica in a piece by its London correspondent. "Rarely," it concludes, "but the real problem is adding cream to spaghetti carbonara."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57783267

Come on, what uncultured PB savages do this?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152

England fans pack into pubs, knocking back beers and singing football songs in last night

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9776389/England-fans-pack-pubs-knocking-beers-singing-football-songs-eve-final.html

COVID....COVID....COOOOOOVID......COVID......COVID...COVID...COOOOOVID...COVID....

Daily cases up to 200,000 minimum soon.

I am staying in for the football.

All of you be careful out there!

• GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Saturday: another highest-ever daily figure for Covid deaths in Tunisia: 194. The country's health system is being overwhelmed. Several other Arab countries plus Turkey have promised aid. Qatar has sent military planes with a field hospital and 100 ventilators.
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    John Ball, Gerrard Winstanley, and Feargus O'Connor can rest in peace at last: "Al fresco dining and takeaway pints to drive new levelling up strategy".
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

I wonder whether the public are deliberately giving misleading answers to the pollsters, just to be awkward.
    Why would more than a very few do that? More likely there are plenty who do believe it, but even more using the answer as a general proxy for 'how concerned am I?'.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Strasbourg Syndrome:

@ Tim Farron: In the nicest possible way... give it a flaming rest Flag of EnglandFlag of EnglandSoccer ball

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1413987066040434696

Daily cases up to 200,000 minimum soon.

I am staying in for the football.

All of you be careful out there!

Nah, it won't get anywhere near that. Schools out in a week, footy over tomorrow, so peak should be in 2-3 weeks.

I think what is clear is significant levels of COVID are going to be about all summer, despite the weather meaning people being outside more.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Andy_JS said:

(a) We were told that once the vulnerable were vaccinated, we would be able to end the lockdown restrictions.

a) was a political commitment that never had majority public support - throughout the crisis, people have surprised pundits by being both more cautious personally than expected and more in favour of more lockdown than the Government was offering.

The figures favouring lockdown are now lower, reflecting that point - more people feel it's now worth the residual risk. But a lot still feel that relaxing in the face of rising case, hospitalisation and death numbers is risky, and it'd be better to wait until the numbers are heading down again. They get that the death risk is now lower, but it's still a nasty disease to get.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited July 2021
    Gnud said:

John Ball, Gerrard Winstanley, and Feargus O'Connor can rest in peace at last: "Al fresco dining and takeaway pints to drive new levelling up strategy".

There is one of @moonshine's UFO's channelling ideas into his brain in that photo.
    Al fresco dining on the streets of Prudhoe has been unconsciably held back by the EU.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited July 2021

Strasbourg Syndrome:

Well yes, in that the dynasty that adopted the three lions arms was French (strictly Franco-Norman) in origin, and quite likely the design was inspired by that of Normandy’s arms, they were clearly designed and adopted in England.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,584
    edited July 2021
    Cyclefree said:

How Cressida Has The Nerve - Part 687

Not only did Wayne Couzens indecently expose himself (a crime, let it be noted) a few days before he kidnapped, raped and murdered poor Sarah Everard, not only did he expose himself six years earlier but it now appears that when he worked in the Civil Nuclear Police, his nickname amongst colleagues was "The Rapist" because his behaviour made female colleagues feel so uncomfortable.

And yet this man was deemed suitable to join the Met and be thought trustworthy enough to be given a weapon?

Seriously?

Does anyone at the Met understand what the point of due diligence and vetting are? Why it matters?

It is barely a few weeks since I wrote why she should go in the wake of the Daniel Morgan case (https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/06/16/the-rise-and-fall-of-cressida-dick/). Since then the Met police have been found to have failed to understand the coronavirus laws when policing the protests against the Everard murder at Clapham and now this.

Just close the bloody force down and start again. The Met - and, frankly, various other police forces - are not just not fit for purpose.

Is Part 69 the story of Bianca Williams, Olympian?

A black dude (a successful athlete) driving a new Mercedes with his ***** (a successful Olympic athlete) in the back, was given a tug because the police officers from the comfort of their van could scent the aroma of cannabis eminating through the closed windows of the Mercedes. After some handcuffing and some Met aggression the bandit car and its occupants are free to continue on their way complete with screaming traumatised baby.

So what did Cressida Dick make of this? She claimed, and I paraphrase, any Officer of experience would have stopped this vehicle ...??

So the moral to this story is, if one is successful and they demonstrate their success in the form of a prestige German car, oh, and they are of a dark complexion, expect to be nicked by Cressida Dick.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

The PM is a populist, he will listen to the public and row back on freedom day.

Ipsos MORI and now Opinium say the PM is wrong on this.

Vox populi, vox Dei.

The British love the word "freedom" but they hate the actual thing, so the perfect policy would be to have a Freedom Day that you are legally obligated to celebrate, after which you're not allowed to leave your house.
    ‘I was groomed and sexually abused by MP let back into Labour by Corbyn’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-was-groomed-and-sexually-abused-by-mp-let-back-into-labour-by-corbyn-90rdlld25
    "Tim Spector
    @timspector

Looks like new cases have peaked at around 33000 per day as unvaccinated numbers drop and vaccinated cases increase and will soon be the majority but cases still increasing in many areas in our watch list with low vaccine rates - thx for logging with ZOE!"

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1413897928545026050
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"Tim Spector
    @timspector

Looks like new cases have peaked at around 33000 per day as unvaccinated numbers drop and vaccinated cases increase and will soon be the majority but cases still increasing in many areas in our watch list with low vaccine rates - thx for logging with ZOE!"

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1413897928545026050

I saw that tweet earlier, I don't understand why he hasn't separated out 1st dose / fully vaccinated cases. He has in the past and they have the raw data.

The last time I saw he talk about this, fully vaccinated was about 10% of the total (~2k a day). It would be interesting to know what it is now. Is it that this rise in "vaccinated" cases is overwhelmingly from those with only 1st jab, or are we seeing significant rise in numbers of cases of vaccine escape?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,584
    Cyclefree said:

How Cressida Has The Nerve - Part 687

Not only did Wayne Couzens indecently expose himself (a crime, let it be noted) a few days before he kidnapped, raped and murdered poor Sarah Everard, not only did he expose himself six years earlier but it now appears that when he worked in the Civil Nuclear Police, his nickname amongst colleagues was "The Rapist" because his behaviour made female colleagues feel so uncomfortable.

And yet this man was deemed suitable to join the Met and be thought trustworthy enough to be given a weapon?

Seriously?

Does anyone at the Met understand what the point of due diligence and vetting are? Why it matters?

It is barely a few weeks since I wrote why she should go in the wake of the Daniel Morgan case (https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/06/16/the-rise-and-fall-of-cressida-dick/). Since then the Met police have been found to have failed to understand the coronavirus laws when policing the protests against the Everard murder at Clapham and now this.

Just close the bloody force down and start again. The Met - and, frankly, various other police forces - are not just not fit for purpose.

Of course you could write an equally damning piece surrounding the recruitment of the West Mercia Officer recently convicted for the unlawful killing of the former Aston Villa and Ipswich Town footballer Dalian Atkinson. Atkinson was a big intimidating, mentally unstable guy with serious health problems, but he was no match for a 33 second tasering and two stout kicks to the head.

I also find it remarkable that the former Officer attended Atkinson's father's home in the same vehicle as a female colleague who happened to be his mistress.

"We're the Sweeney and you're nicked"
    NSW, which includes Sydney, reports 77 local coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since April 2020, and 1 new death, the first this year
    edited July 2021
    "Italians living in England battle with divided loyalties over who to support in the Euro final

While some fans remain undecided, for many Britons whose heritage is in Italy it's less 'football's coming home' and more 'Forza Azzurri!'" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/10/italians-living-england-battle-divided-loyalties-support-euro/
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"Italians living in England battle with divided loyalties over who to support in the Euro final

While some fans remain undecided, for many Britons whose heritage is in Italy it's less 'football's coming home' and more 'Forza Azzurri!'" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/10/italians-living-england-battle-divided-loyalties-support-euro/

People really don't have much to worry about if they care about people they've never met kicking a ball around.

It's not a war, it's just a silly and mostly rather boring game.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555

Andy_JS said:

a) was a political commitment that never had majority public support - throughout the crisis, people have surprised pundits by being both more cautious personally than expected and more in favour of more lockdown than the Government was offering.

The figures favouring lockdown are now lower, reflecting that point - more people feel it's now worth the residual risk. But a lot still feel that relaxing in the face of rising case, hospitalisation and death numbers is risky, and it'd be better to wait until the numbers are heading down again. They get that the death risk is now lower, but it's still a nasty disease to get.
    Here's an idea. The people who want to stay in and be afraid of their own shadow should be FREE to do so while those who want to go out and enjoy life should also be FREE to do so.

If only there were a name for that sort of affairs?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Here's an idea. The people who want to stay in and be afraid of their own shadow should be FREE to do so while those who want to go out and enjoy life should also be FREE to do so.

Trouble is, neither group is competent to assess the risks to themselves or to others.
  • Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited July 2021
    Fishing said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed.

Have we become so risk-averse that we want to reduce life to cowering reeks?* All of life contains risk. When you step out of the shower or walk down the stairs or when you cross the road or eat a peanut. Unless we want to void the meaning of life in a dystopian vacuum pack then we have to embrace some risks.

If you beat dogs into submission for long enough they don't know any different. Small wonder that swathes of the country are now quivering jellies, fearing even to step beyond their thresholds without a mask.

* 'Reek' rather than 'wreck' in acknowledgement of Theon Greyjoy. His sister launched a mission to rescue him from the dog kennels. But when she arrived and flung wide the doors for him to come home and taste freedom once more, he refused: preferring instead a life of cowering in the corner of his kennel.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    New Thread
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    justin124 said:

MattW said:

I see Marxism is winning.

Show some balls lads - take a knee during our dirge of an anthem.

You can be bloody sure that's when Gary Neville would have done it.
    That's probably the point. Now everyone has seen that taking the knee lasts just a few seconds – blink and you miss it – even a lot of its former armchair opponents are wondering what all the fuss is about.
    IMO the fuss is about the donkeys at the FA allowing the whole game to become politicised, and to drive that forward as an organisation; once that has happened they are vulnerable to whatever loopy or dangerous cause comes up next.

They have managed to split their fans down the middle, make a spectacle where none as needed, and embarrass the country, and embarrass the game. All at a time when British football has a good record on this question. They are their own worst enemy.

AFAIK no other country's association has institutionalised the BLM political gesture to the same degree, and left it to the players. Most have given the cause a nod and moved on to play football.

Not our FA, unfortunately.

In 1936 we had a Nazi salute in Berlin because when the players were uncomfortable, the Ambassador convinced them it was 'a courtesy'. In similar circumstances, the Irish team did not do the fascist salute.

The FA should have kept their nose well out. When the European Commission tried to use the UEFA match in Munich to have a political go at the Hungarian (?) Government over equal rights, EUFA correctly refused to be used as a political football.

Poor, ignorant, complacent Football Association.
    It was actually in May 1938 that the Nazi salute was given by the England team.
    Thanks for that - I corrected on a further comment.
This discussion has been closed.