Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinium finds 50% saying COVID restrictions should continue beyond July 19th – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973

Leon said:

MattW said:

Report from the Economist.

https://www.economist.com/diary/2021/07/09/a-night-to-forget-the-english-fans-that-embarrass-their-country

Five minutes from home, our bus hit a roundabout blocked by dancing and cheering fans, and a flatbed lorry on which more were dancing. Ugh, I thought, but also, hey, I’d be dancing too. A long pause. So close. Then someone outside spotted my shirt: “Hey, Denmark!” He pointed for his friends, and in an instant a dozen or so pressed up against the glass and began beating on the windows. Middle fingers, jeers, masturbation hand-gestures, oral sex mimed at my wife. And, of course, the famous English two-fingered salute. Victory in reverse.

I gritted my teeth through a smile and a wave. It only escalated, so when the bus driver opened the door, I went over to it and waved some more, visibly annoyed but saying “congratulations, your team played the better game, you won.” My wife did the same. I guess I expected, finally, happy cheers, the fever breaking. Instead, one screamed back at my wife “That’s not what we want to hear!” What did they want to hear?

Then it came, a shot to my stomach that knocked me back a couple of steps. I hadn’t seen it, but now a short, shaved-headed fan in a white t-shirt was bobbing in the thrill of it, grinning to his friends and staring at me, no doubt hoping I would get off the bus. I did some arithmetic, declined, and instead started shouting something silly like “you should be ashamed of yourselves.” They loved every moment. Maybe that’s what they wanted to hear.

Finally, the bus crawled through the roundabout. My son had fled upstairs. Another passenger, it turned out, had been slapped by the same fan who had punched me, and offered to be a police witness. We exchanged details, went home, and went to bed.

At daybreak, the anger was still inexplicable. This should be one of the happiest nights of their lives. Plenty of people were jubilant. Why were some looking for a punch-up?

Yawn. Football is visceral and tribal. It just is. The ugliness is part of the beauty
    A silly post, like your other two on the subject.

There is absolutely no justification for an American guy, his Danish wife and son being attacked by a bunch of w******.

Supporting any team should be tribal but good natured. It does not need to cross the line into law breaking thuggery.
    Thuggery is king in England. The Brexit revolution has only just started. They’ll be at the guillotine stage soon.
    Their horror at Madame Guillotine being a French invention may delay things temporarily. Nobody tell them about the more home grown version.

• Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    When a person gets parched and almost dies of thirst in the desert, the standard advice is to wet their lips and mouth a bit, not to hand them a Watney's Party Seven and say "get that down yer neck".
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,873

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

https://www.economist.com/diary/2021/07/09/a-night-to-forget-the-english-fans-that-embarrass-their-country

Five minutes from home, our bus hit a roundabout blocked by dancing and cheering fans, and a flatbed lorry on which more were dancing. Ugh, I thought, but also, hey, I’d be dancing too. A long pause. So close. Then someone outside spotted my shirt: “Hey, Denmark!” He pointed for his friends, and in an instant a dozen or so pressed up against the glass and began beating on the windows. Middle fingers, jeers, masturbation hand-gestures, oral sex mimed at my wife. And, of course, the famous English two-fingered salute. Victory in reverse.

I gritted my teeth through a smile and a wave. It only escalated, so when the bus driver opened the door, I went over to it and waved some more, visibly annoyed but saying “congratulations, your team played the better game, you won.” My wife did the same. I guess I expected, finally, happy cheers, the fever breaking. Instead, one screamed back at my wife “That’s not what we want to hear!” What did they want to hear?

Then it came, a shot to my stomach that knocked me back a couple of steps. I hadn’t seen it, but now a short, shaved-headed fan in a white t-shirt was bobbing in the thrill of it, grinning to his friends and staring at me, no doubt hoping I would get off the bus. I did some arithmetic, declined, and instead started shouting something silly like “you should be ashamed of yourselves.” They loved every moment. Maybe that’s what they wanted to hear.

Finally, the bus crawled through the roundabout. My son had fled upstairs. Another passenger, it turned out, had been slapped by the same fan who had punched me, and offered to be a police witness. We exchanged details, went home, and went to bed.

At daybreak, the anger was still inexplicable. This should be one of the happiest nights of their lives. Plenty of people were jubilant. Why were some looking for a punch-up?

Yawn. Football is visceral and tribal. It just is. The ugliness is part of the beauty

There is absolutely no justification for an American guy, his Danish wife and son being attacked by a bunch of w******.

Supporting any team should be tribal but good natured. It does not need to cross the line into law breaking thuggery.
    There is no justification for a heatwave sweeping into Death Valley and killing all the lichen, however the clue is in the name, Death Valley

Football is a man's sport and induces wild, masculine emotions. Et voila

The cluelessness is apparent in the guy's report:

"At daybreak, the anger was still inexplicable. This should be one of the happiest nights of their lives. Plenty of people were jubilant. Why were some looking for a punch-up?"

ANSWER: because they were looking for a punch-up. Because they like to fight. Because it is not just about scoring 2 goals and applauding. It is because you are the enemy: for a night. It is because their masculinity is vindicated by triumph, and humiliated by disaster. See any Old Firm game since Time Began
    You're defending mindless violence and thuggery @Leon. Just stop and think about that for a minute.
    I'm really not. I said these wankers are wankers. I am simply pointing out you don't get the atavistic emotions of football - which bring almost everyone pleasure - without, well, atavism

It seems this point is beyond the wit of PB, tonight, so I shall not labour it any more
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021

Like racism at the football, hooliganism still exists in the England, but it is a shadow of what it was like in the 80s.

As we saw at the last world cup and the away games in the euro qualifiers, British hooligans are well out of practice these days.

Wasn't there a theory, presumably unproven, that the growth of violence in the 70s and 80s was linked to lead in petrol, and that once unleaded fuel came in football hooliganism disappated?
    Not sure i buy that, as there is still a lot of violence among the youth, plenty of fighting on a Friday and Saturday night out on the town, it just isn't organised based around the football.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    edited July 2021
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Thuggery is king in England. The Brexit revolution has only just started. They’ll be at the guillotine stage soon.
    We’re playing a nation that launches burning Vespas from stands onto opposing fans tomorrow. We’ve some way to go to reach that level.
    Yeah but...@Leon was justifying the outrageous behaviour you are highlighting because football is masculine and visceral. That is a crock of shit.

Football is all about heroes and villains, highs and lows. It is not about mindless violence by shirtless morons.

I believe you mentioned a while ago you followed Ipswich Town . Today you will be mourning one of football's heroes. Best remember Paul Mariner than Leon's shirtless masculine, tribal, visceral hooligans.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

Leon said:

Anecdata

My older daughter's school in North London is missing "40 teachers" who are all isolating, and hundreds of kids

This is not an education. These children are suffering

I was just listening to Dr John Campbell. If I heard correctly, then in today's video he said that missing school isn't that important, as kids will catch up. (apologies if I didn't hear that correctly).

A lot of people seem to think that, but I am unconvinced (I am also not an educationalist). We got the little 'uns year report back yesterday, and I'm happy/proud/ecstatic to say it was good. But he had a parent who could devote vast amounts of time to teaching and playing with him during the lockdown, and the resources to buy teaching aids - including a laptop and subscription to Twinkl.

Many of his schoolfriends didn't have those advantages, and some are way behind. They may catch up, but I suspect many will no - although that probably varies according to age as well.

I'm also unsure that throwing vast amounts of money to help these kids catch up will help them - the ones whose education has been damaged most might also be the hardest to get the help to.
    I would hate being a student who was due to sit their GCSEs and A Levels in 2020/21 and in the next few years.

Those are the ones I really worry about. It'll impact their lives, their choice of universities etc.
    I think that's very true. Two of my nieces are in exactly that situation. I think they'll do okay, but it certainly hasn't been easy.
    They should remember that they are competing only with their own age group. Once they've started work, or even university, no-one will care what GCSEs or A-levels they passed. And that their cohort is all in the same boat.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

I see Marxism is winning.

Show some balls lads - take a knee during our dirge of an anthem.

You can be bloody sure that's when Gary Neville would have done it.
  • Options

Pre - vaccination, I was about as risk averse as they come when it comes to Covid. I hadn't been in a supermarket since early March last year, and only used outside tables during Rishi's eat out superspreader campaign.

Now I'm fully jabbed, I am prepared to return to life as normal. Trains, shops, bars and eateries. It is the vaccine that is protecting me now, not a face mask or the nonsense of 1m+ in indoor settings.

Of course, I'll milk WFH as long as possible. And avoid doing shit I don't want to do wherever possible by citing Covid.

Am I atypical? I suspect not.

The government has f***ed up the messaging both with "freedom" and "fully vaccinated".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Gnud said:

Pre - vaccination, I was about as risk averse as they come when it comes to Covid. I hadn't been in a supermarket since early March last year, and only used outside tables during Rishi's eat out superspreader campaign.

Now I'm fully jabbed, I am prepared to return to life as normal. Trains, shops, bars and eateries. It is the vaccine that is protecting me now, not a face mask or the nonsense of 1m+ in indoor settings.

Of course, I'll milk WFH as long as possible. And avoid doing shit I don't want to do wherever possible by citing Covid.

The government has f***ed up the messaging both with "freedom" and "fully vaccinated".
    Isn't "freedom day" a beast created by the media?
  • Options
    On a more elevated note, but throbbingly relevant nonetheless, can I recommend this overlooked Netflix miniseries

The English Game

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8403664/

It's about the birth of pro football, where the upper classes meet the miners in the 1870s, and one of the writers is Julian "Downton" Fellowes

That may put some people off, but persist. It is excellent
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Like racism at the football, hooliganism still exists in the England, but it is a shadow of what it was like in the 80s.

As we saw at the last world cup and the away games in the euro qualifiers, British hooligans are well out of practice these days.

Wasn't there a theory, presumably unproven, that the growth of violence in the 70s and 80s was linked to lead in petrol, and that once unleaded fuel came in football hooliganism disappated?
    Not sure i buy that, as there is still a lot of violence among the youth, plenty of fighting on a Friday and Saturday night out on the town, it just isn't organised based around the football.
    Yep it’s the lead crime hypothesis based on the things lead is now known to do to your brain and other cells

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–crime_hypothesis?wprov=sfti1
  • Options

It was general violent crime, not hooliganism: it's difficult to separate other concurrent effects, but various countries removed lead from petrol at different times, and all saw a fall in violent crime after a very similar time gap.
    You may be merging it with the hypothesis that the availability of drugs like ecstasy caused a drop in football violence.
  • Options

That's probably the point. Now everyone has seen that taking the knee lasts just a few seconds – blink and you miss it – even a lot of its former armchair opponents are wondering what all the fuss is about.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    RobD said:

Gnud said:

"Freedom day", yes, but Boris Johnson spoke a few days ago of "restoring people's freedoms". There could possibly have been less mention of pubs too, and more of a "take it easy" vibe. Leadership isn't giving people what they want. There's too much polarisation on this now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Headed out to a restaurant this evening. Without a phone :p !
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

On a more elevated note, but throbbingly relevant nonetheless, can I recommend this overlooked Netflix miniseries

The English Game

It's about the birth of pro football, where the upper classes meet the miners in the 1870s, and one of the writers is Julian "Downton" Fellowes

That was first shown on the BBC who commissioned it
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Gnud said:

When a person gets parched and almost dies of thirst in the desert, the standard advice is to wet their lips and mouth a bit, not to hand them a Watney's Party Seven and say "get that down yer neck".

Party 7 was the equivalent of drinking your own piss....
  • Options
    Gnud said:

RobD said:

Gnud said:

"Freedom day", yes, but Boris Johnson spoke a few days ago of "restoring people's freedoms". There could possibly have been less mention of pubs too, and more of a "take it easy" vibe. Leadership isn't giving people what they want.
    That is an accurate description of what a relaxation of restrictions is though. I agree about "freedom day", that's dangerously overhyped by the media. Similar to their obsession with travel.
  • Options
    Anecdote

I watched France beat Brazil in the World Cup Final of 1998 in St Tropez, with a friend who was just becoming a famous Hollywood producer

Everyone ate their fifty euro salade Nicoise on the al fresco terraces, and applauded the football, jangling their diamond jewellery, and then the diners dispersed to the bars to quietly celebrate

However things turned out a bit different. The French celebration involved fairly affluent-looking youngsters ritually stopping, kicking, rocking, jumping on, and - sometimes - solemnly overturning the supercars driving through the town. The owners looked unnerved but acceptant. "France have won the World Cup = your Maserati gets trashed. Sorry"

It was that moment when I realised *football = violence* is a human universal
  • Options

Leon said:

The English Game

Then chapeau to the Beeb. It's really good. I can't work out why I missed it, Covid? But happening on it now feels serendipitous
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    So i was at Lords today, and i continue to be in complete confusion about what the check in function on the Covid app is supposed to do. There were the usual messages about how everyone was encouraged to check in using the QR codes dotted around the ground. I assume that almost nobody did. But what if they did? What was the purpose? Presumably they wouldn't be required to isolate if 1 of the 20,000 people there subsequently tested positive? In which case, what is the reason for its existence? Am i just missing something really obvious? How does the check-in function (as opposed to the blue tooth function) provide any data on proximity at all, that might logically trigger self isolation?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

So i was at Lords today, and i continue to be in complete confusion about what the check in function on the Covid app is supposed to do. There were the usual messages about how everyone was encouraged to check in using the QR codes dotted around the ground. I assume that almost nobody did. But what if they did? What was the purpose? Presumably they wouldn't be required to isolate if 1 of the 20,000 people there subsequently tested positive? In which case, what is the reason for its existence? Am i just missing something really obvious? How does the check-in function (as opposed to the blue tooth function) provide any data on proximity at all, that might logically trigger self isolation?

AIUI you aren't asked to isolate. Rather it's a warning, and you may take the opportunity to get a test afterwards.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    DougSeal said:

Naughty bot

Silly bot.

The Scott’s have never had an effective goalie. 😆
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    This is some bonfire. Looks like something from Game of Thrones...

https://twitter.com/EmmaVardyTV/status/1412786119876485121
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The PM is a populist, he will listen to the public and row back on freedom day.

Ipsos MORI and now Opinium say the PM is wrong on this.

Vox populi, vox Dei.

The Dutch have just shuttered their nightclubs, again. I predict we will do the same, or they will never open
    You’re getting a bit long in the tooth for nightclubs Sean. Nothing worse than the creepy middle aged guy trying to hang with the kidz.
    I shall let you into a secret, Stuart, I haven't been to a nightclub in nearly 30 years. Drinking clubs, gambling clubs, crack houses, yes. Not nightclubs. I never liked them. I could never see the point. You can't chat someone up as the music is too loud, the dancing is naff and weird, WTF.

Nightclubs only made sense when Ecstasy arrived, and you got loved up and you danced in a frenzy for 5 hours on a meth-amphetamine high. That was fun. For about 3 years

However, I will defend the right of the misguided young to visit these things, if they insist
    One of the weirdest experiences I’ve had was going to a nightclub in downtown Indianapolis with the head of R&D at Lilly… it was 8pm on a Sunday and the only place that was still open…
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

It was general violent crime, not hooliganism: it's difficult to separate other concurrent effects, but various countries removed lead from petrol at different times, and all saw a fall in violent crime after a very similar time gap.
    You may be merging it with the hypothesis that the availability of drugs like ecstasy caused a drop in football violence.
    Yes fair point. I wasn't trying to suggest it was only football-related violence that reduced.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

AIUI you aren't asked to isolate. Rather it's a warning, and you may take the opportunity to get a test afterwards.
    Ok fair enough - so why all the stories about people being "pinged" left, right and centre and destroying hospitality by staff being forced to isolate. Or is the issue that lots of staff are voluntarily isolating, and their employers are powerless to prevent them?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    Leon said:

Anecdote

I watched France beat Brazil in the World Cup Final of 1998 in St Tropez, with a friend who was just becoming a famous Hollywood producer

Everyone ate their fifty euro salade Nicoise on the al fresco terraces, and applauded the football, jangling their diamond jewellery, and then the diners dispersed to the bars to quietly celebrate

However things turned out a bit different. The French celebration involved fairly affluent-looking youngsters ritually stopping, kicking, rocking, jumping on, and - sometimes - solemnly overturning the supercars driving through the town. The owners looked unnerved but acceptant. "France have won the World Cup = your Maserati gets trashed. Sorry"

I can think of no other sport that attracts such idiots....if we ever pre screen for criminal personalities perhaps the first question should be do you follow football.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Leon said:

MattW said:

Their horror at Madame Guillotine being a French invention may delay things temporarily. Nobody tell them about the more home grown version.

Shhh… FUDHY’s enthusiasm for the Castilian method will have him rounding up the restless Jocks for a bit of gory Maiden correction.
  • Options

Gnud said:

In this scenario, the person already drank their own piss when they ran out of water in the desert.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

It's nothing like it was in the 70s though.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Gnud said:

Gnud said:

In this scenario, the person already drank their own piss when they ran out of water in the desert.
    I saw Inbetweeners 2 for the first time last night...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Anecdote

I can think of no other sport that attracts such idiots....if we ever pre screen for criminal personalities perhaps the first question should be do you follow football.
    Quite. You don't get tragic crowd control failures at Aintree or the Oval.
  • Options
    Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Brillo's convinced, as willing to be outraged as PB's finest.

That's called a trollback?
    Fake bots or not, there’s clearly appetite to smear Scottish Independence movement by linking it to Historical Fascism.

Don’t do it. If people smell unfair stitch up it will make them even more fervent.

We have to be careful about falling into lazy misconceptions when talking about cuddling up to Fascism in the 1930s and trying to relate it to today. Sure the whole British Establishment may have seemed comfortable with Hitlers Germany right up to and into the War - but were they being played? Did they fear Stalin and Communism more? As Ace argued yesterday, you have to pick one side or the other. Also if you were unbothered by anti semitism, why wouldn’t you want peace between Britain and Nazi Germany? Much like the French Aristocracy, who sided with Petain in 1940 got their anti Semitism from their Catholicism, at the same time there was not any leader in Nazi Germany more anti-Semitic than Martin Luther.

That was then, this is now. In politics don’t spin history to smear people - stay in the present, and relevance of arguments to present.
    Interestingly there weren't many more fervent anti semites during the Nazi era than Henry Ford. I wonder if there are any prominent statues of him hanging around?
    It got me poking around on the net for a sense what the truth is, and it appears the basis of Scottish Nationalism should be to distance itself from degree the English establishment cuddled up to the Nazi’s.

I just read these two, and they are rather good.

https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/features/how-far-did-the-uk-aristocracy-s-love-of-the-nazis-really-go-1.67764

https://www.nwmissouri.edu/library/theses/2013/ToombsKenna.pdf
  • Options
    Leon said:

The English Game

My great-great-grandfather played for Scotland back then 😄
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Fake bots or not, there’s clearly appetite to smear Scottish Independence movement by linking it to Historical Fascism.

Don’t do it. If people smell unfair stitch up it will make them even more fervent.

We have to be careful about falling into lazy misconceptions when talking about cuddling up to Fascism in the 1930s and trying to relate it to today. Sure the whole British Establishment may have seemed comfortable with Hitlers Germany right up to and into the War - but were they being played? Did they fear Stalin and Communism more? As Ace argued yesterday, you have to pick one side or the other. Also if you were unbothered by anti semitism, why wouldn’t you want peace between Britain and Nazi Germany? Much like the French Aristocracy, who sided with Petain in 1940 got their anti Semitism from their Catholicism, at the same time there was not any leader in Nazi Germany more anti-Semitic than Martin Luther.

That was then, this is now. In politics don’t spin history to smear people - stay in the present, and relevance of arguments to present.
    Interestingly there weren't many more fervent anti semites during the Nazi era than Henry Ford. I wonder if there are any prominent statues of him hanging around?
    It got me poking around on the net for a sense what the truth is, and it appears the basis of Scottish Nationalism should be to distance itself from degree the English establishment cuddled up to the Nazi’s.

https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/features/how-far-did-the-uk-aristocracy-s-love-of-the-nazis-really-go-1.67764

Well at least we didn't set up a puppet governement for them unlike those civillised europeans you worship
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

Then chapeau to the Beeb. It's really good. I can't work out why I missed it, Covid? But happening on it now feels serendipitous
    I just tuned into Episode 2 and it says "a Netflix original". So, no, not BBC. Netflix
  • Options

That's probably the point. Now everyone has seen that taking the knee lasts just a few seconds – blink and you miss it – even a lot of its former armchair opponents are wondering what all the fuss is about.
    I saw the England cricket team taking a lengthy knee in front of the Lords pavilion today. Then i realised it was just their usual warm up/stretching routine.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Leon said:

Leon said:

There is no justification for a heatwave sweeping into Death Valley and killing all the lichen, however the clue is in the name, Death Valley

"At daybreak, the anger was still inexplicable. This should be one of the happiest nights of their lives. Plenty of people were jubilant. Why were some looking for a punch-up?"

ANSWER: because they were looking for a punch-up. Because they like to fight. Because it is not just about scoring 2 goals and applauding. It is because you are the enemy: for a night. It is because their masculinity is vindicated by triumph, and humiliated by disaster. See any Old Firm game since Time Began
    What species did you say you were, Leon? Because you're seriously weird about this.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Well at least we didn't set up a puppet governement for them unlike those civillised europeans you worship
    Your in knockabout mood tonite Pagan 😀

Serious reply is how close did we come?

As I understand the history,

the Vichy government was extremely popular at first, the previous government taking the blame for the fall of France.

If Hitler had chosen to invade UK, seizing the country would have been quite rapid after the battle of Epping Forest.

And there would have been a lot of establishment and working class keen collaborators. Probably a PM Lloyd George up in Harrogate?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Leon said:

Anecdata

My older daughter's school in North London is missing "40 teachers" who are all isolating, and hundreds of kids

I was just listening to Dr John Campbell. If I heard correctly, then in today's video he said that missing school isn't that important, as kids will catch up. (apologies if I didn't hear that correctly).

A lot of people seem to think that, but I am unconvinced (I am also not an educationalist). We got the little 'uns year report back yesterday, and I'm happy/proud/ecstatic to say it was good. But he had a parent who could devote vast amounts of time to teaching and playing with him during the lockdown, and the resources to buy teaching aids - including a laptop and subscription to Twinkl.

Many of his schoolfriends didn't have those advantages, and some are way behind. They may catch up, but I suspect many will no - although that probably varies according to age as well.

I'm also unsure that throwing vast amounts of money to help these kids catch up will help them - the ones whose education has been damaged most might also be the hardest to get the help to.
    I would hate being a student who was due to sit their GCSEs and A Levels in 2020/21 and in the next few years.

Those are the ones I really worry about. It'll impact their lives, their choice of universities etc.
    I think that's very true. Two of my nieces are in exactly that situation. I think they'll do okay, but it certainly hasn't been easy.
    They should remember that they are competing only with their own age group. Once they've started work, or even university, no-one will care what GCSEs or A-levels they passed. And that their cohort is all in the same boat.
    True, but not all pupils were as badly affected as others.

Some that I have been teaching this year have done disastrously; they did not take the online lessons seriously and may have been doing something else while the lessons were on. If they had their cameras off and microphones muted I couldn’t tell what they were doing.
    Others thrived; without the distractions of other pupils they were able to concentrate properly and could ask questions via email if stuck. Some may even have done better than they would in school if their teachers were on the ball with the online teaching (after all we were not having to spend five minutes getting classes to shut up when there is a “mute all” control on Teams).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

I just tuned into Episode 2 and it says "a Netflix original". So, no, not BBC. Netflix
    wikipedia concurs made for netflix
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_English_Game
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

Nah, Netflix do this all the time, anything new they show they label it as a Netflix Original.

Go watch the start of any episode of Star Trek: Discovery and they label it as a Netflix Original despite the fact it is made and aired by CBS.

Netflix don't make or produce it, just air it exclusively in the UK.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Not really I just don't tolerate fools
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

Nah, Netflix do this all the time, anything new they show they label it as a Netflix Original.

Go watch the start of any episode of Star Trek: Discovery and they label it as a Netflix Original despite the fact it is made and aired by CBS.

Netflix don't make or produce it, just air it.
    From BBC review at the time says Netflix...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51574065

As does Guardian etc.

I can't see any mention of it being shown on BBC.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

Wikipedia says and I quote "In April 2018, it was announced Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes would write and executive produce his first Netflix series.[3]"

That doesnt sound like netflix just aired it
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I saw the England cricket team taking a lengthy knee in front of the Lords pavilion today. Then i realised it was just their usual warm up/stretching routine.
    Maybe that’s the way out. Combine the two.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

As does Guardian etc.

I know, I was just letting Leon know that 'Netflix Original' often doesn't mean that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    If the decision was made for the reasons given then the public view should not change that. If it is the right decision people won't hold it against the government for long.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Well, I’ve got a soft spot for anyone identifying as Pagan. Sorry to hear your son isn’t in the swing of it yet? But I’m hoping he might still do so.
  • Options
    Talking about Netflix and other streamers, I can see them pulling out of Spain.

The Spanish government is to oblige streaming platforms such as Netflix to help finance public broadcaster RTVE through a contribution of 1.5% of their revenues from next year.

The measure is part of the country’s new draft audiovisual law, which is expected to be passed by the Congreso de los Diputados, the lower house of the Spanish legislature, the Cortes Generales, in the first quarter of next year.

The inclusion of international streamers such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO in the obligation to devote a part of revenues to support the pubcaster had been demanded by the country’s telecom operators and commercial broadcasters, which are also liable, to create a level playing field.

Streamers will also be obliged to allocate 5% of their revenues generated in Spain to finance movies and series of European origin or to directly contribute to a fund for the support of audiovisual works, the Fondo de Protección de la Cinematografia administered by the Instituto de la Cinematografía y de las Artes Audiovisuales (ICAA).

According to El País newspaper, citing government sources, the authorities intend to calculate the amount to be paid by streaming providers based on “real revenues” rather than those declared as originating in Spain, which are likely to be minimal from companies whose European base is elsewhere.

However, the government has yet to specify how this might be done.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2411643/spain-to-oblige-streamers-to-help-finance-public-broadcaster/p1
  • Options

Leon said:

MattW said:

Very humane method, so that's something.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

the Vichy government was extremely popular at first, the previous government taking the blame for the fall of France.

If Hitler had chosen to invade UK, seizing the country would have been quite rapid after the battle of Epping Forest.

And there would have been a lot of establishment and working class keen collaborators. Probably a PM Lloyd George up in Harrogate?
    I'm not so sure. When France was invaded, the latest deliveries of fighters sat waiting for weapons to be installed etc. When it was asked if something could be done to expedite matters - shrugs.

When anti-aircraft batteries were asked to act as anti-tank weapons - heavy anti-aircraft weapons of the period could destroy any tank - refusal.....

When a meeting was called to discuss the possible defence of Manchester, in the UK, the commander of the heavy AA batteries around the city turned up and explained his plans for using his weapons as both anti-tank weapons and artillery. The men under his command had already dug emplacements and practised both direct fire and high angle artillery bombardment. He and his men had done this on an almost self organising basis.

There was a very different attitude - in France, follow the process and shrugs. In the UK - how can we kill the Germans? This struck a number of foreign observers at the time.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

As does Guardian etc.

I know, I was just letting Leon know that 'Netflix Original' often doesn't mean that.
    So you chose to show in which it actually does to illustrate that? I dont watch netflix only amazon, but amazon original means paid for by amazon I would be shocked if netflix was different. Care to name a show that netflix termed a netflix original that wasnt? Not saying they dont exist merely doubting you as the example you used was a total fail
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited July 2021

IMO the fuss is about the donkeys at the FA allowing the whole game to become politicised, and to drive that forward as an organisation; once that has happened they are vulnerable to whatever loopy or dangerous cause comes up next.

They have managed to split their fans down the middle, make a spectacle where none as needed, and embarrass the country, and embarrass the game. All at a time when British football has a good record on this question. They are their own worst enemy.

AFAIK no other country's association has institutionalised the BLM political gesture to the same degree, and left it to the players. Most have given the cause a nod and moved on to play football.

Not our FA, unfortunately.

In 1936 we had a Nazi salute in Berlin because when the players were uncomfortable, the Ambassador convinced them it was 'a courtesy'. In similar circumstances, the Irish team did not do the fascist salute.

The FA should have kept their nose well out. When the European Commission tried to use the UEFA match in Munich to have a political go at the Hungarian (?) Government over equal rights, EUFA correctly refused to be used as a political football.

Poor, ignorant, complacent Football Association.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

What species did you say you were, Leon? Because you're seriously weird about this.
    Caveman.
  • Options

Better than my neighbour who has one, albeit smaller, in their backgarden every week. God only knows why.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Leon said:

Anecdata

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of Doctors they turn out to be.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

As does Guardian etc.

So you chose to show in which it actually does to illustrate that? I dont watch netflix only amazon, but amazon original means paid for by amazon I would be shocked if netflix was different. Care to name a show that netflix termed a netflix original that wasnt? Not saying they dont exist merely doubting you as the example you used was a total fail
    If you scroll back I cite the example of Star Trek: Discovery, in the UK and other territories, Netflix label that show as a Netflix original.

Amazon do the same, with Picard, they only air it, CBS produce it but it doesn't stop Amazon labelling it an Amazon Original outside of America.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Well, I’ve got a soft spot for anyone identifying as Pagan. Sorry to hear your son isn’t in the swing of it yet? But I’m hoping he might still do so.
    I didn't mention a son what shit are you spouting now?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

The Spanish government is to oblige streaming platforms such as Netflix to help finance public broadcaster RTVE through a contribution of 1.5% of their revenues from next year.

The measure is part of the country’s new draft audiovisual law, which is expected to be passed by the Congreso de los Diputados, the lower house of the Spanish legislature, the Cortes Generales, in the first quarter of next year.

The inclusion of international streamers such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO in the obligation to devote a part of revenues to support the pubcaster had been demanded by the country’s telecom operators and commercial broadcasters, which are also liable, to create a level playing field.

Streamers will also be obliged to allocate 5% of their revenues generated in Spain to finance movies and series of European origin or to directly contribute to a fund for the support of audiovisual works, the Fondo de Protección de la Cinematografia administered by the Instituto de la Cinematografía y de las Artes Audiovisuales (ICAA).

According to El País newspaper, citing government sources, the authorities intend to calculate the amount to be paid by streaming providers based on “real revenues” rather than those declared as originating in Spain, which are likely to be minimal from companies whose European base is elsewhere.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2411643/spain-to-oblige-streamers-to-help-finance-public-broadcaster/p1

With EU goods and services and all that, what stops Netflix just saying to Spanish customers you buy netflix from Netflix Portugal? I don't see how they can calculate it or enforce it?
  • Options
    Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    ·
    22m
    4,758 positive tests reported in the North West today. I can't stress this enough, I don't believe it's anywhere near running out of unvaccinated people yet. (Our best bet is still to make sure there aren't many unvaxxed for it to find)
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

Hitler could not have successfully invaded Britain. The RAF saw off the Luftwaffe. The Royal Navy outnumbered and outgunned the Kriegsmarine by an enormous margin. And after Dunkirk, the British Army was largely back in Britain. They wargamed Operation Sealion after the war, and even with generous starting positions (minefields in the North Sea; mild weather; German air superiority) they reckoned the Germans might have advanced into South East England for two or three days before being cut off, and the German army driven back into the sea.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Caveman.
    Hilarious Guardian article about the awful abuse of Danish fans, tantamount to a Holocaust - frankly - following the England game at Wembley

"More Denmark fans have come forward to say they were verbally abused by England supporters at Wembley during Wednesday’s Euro 2020 semi-final, with one parent describing how her nine-year-old son was “booed in the face” and that she and her husband were shouted at after the game."

A husband was "shouted at".

Yes.

But there is more:

“Overall the whole experience was very frightening and we felt like we were walking in a war zone"

A war zone?? Yes. A war zone. Where things like THIS might easily happen:

"as they left the stadium England fans shouted “fuck Denmark” and other slurs at them."

Yes. That is, indeed, akin to a warzone. One of the worst features of the Barbarossa campaign was the way Nazi soldiers would ritually shout "fuck Russia" at the enemy, then go home and have a curry, doing nothing else of note

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/10/he-is-nine-years-old-more-danes-tell-of-being-abused-by-england-fans
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Hmm. Not sure that the Nazi salute by he English team was 1936. Point still stands, however.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

With EU goods and services and all that, what stops Netflix just saying to Spanish customers you buy netflix from Netflix Portugal?
    Same thing as why when we were still in the eu pubs got prosecuted for streaming football from other eu nations services I would guess. Believing the eu to be a single market is your first mistake. Its only a single market when it suits those that pay the bribes. Media comapanies have paid enough to buy the eu regulations they need see for example the article 17 copyright law.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The English Game

Netflix don't make or produce it, just air it exclusively in the UK.
    So you post as "Mike Smithson"

Er, OK
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Moving away from football to elections and it's the second Bulgarian General Election of the year tomorrow.

Yes, Bulgarians get two elections in a year (very 1974 you might think).

The story so far - back in April, the GERB party of Boyko Borisov won 75 seats in the 240 seat National Assembly.. This was a loss of 20 seats for the ruling party.

The big winners in April were ITN (There is Such a Nation), the party of media personality Slavi Trifonov who won 52 seats from nowhere. The principal victims of ITN's rise were the left-wing Coalition for Bulgaria who lost nearly half their seats falling from 80 to 43. The other big winners were Democratic Bulgaria, a split from GERB, who won 27 seats.

The Movement for Rights and Freedom won 30 seats and the anti-corruption party won 14.

Needless to say, such an indecisive result led to political paralysis with neither Bosisov not Trifonov able to form a Government - the independent Stefan Yanev has bene left holding the fort but new elections were inevitable.

The latest and probably final poll (changes from April):

ITN: 21% (+4)
    GERB: 20% (-6)
    Coalition for Bulgaria: 16% (+1)
    Democratic Bulgaria: 12% (+3)
    Movement for Rights and Freedom: 12% (+1)
    Stand Up Mafia Get Out: 6% (+1)
    Bulgarian Patriots: 4% (+2)

Make of that what you will.

Meanwhile, just released, the latest Kantar poll for Germany:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 29% (+1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 19% (-1)
    SPD-S&D: 15% (-1)
    AfD-ID: 11%
    FDP-RE: 11% (+1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 8% (+1)

Changes from last poll. The Union well clear of the others but all six main parties look as though they will be back in the next Bundestag.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Pagan2 said:

With EU goods and services and all that, what stops Netflix just saying to Spanish customers you buy netflix from Netflix Portugal?
    Same thing as why when we were still in the eu pubs got prosecuted for streaming football from other eu nations services I would guess. Believing the eu to be a single market is your first mistake. Its only a single market when it suits those that pay the bribes. Media comapanies have paid enough to buy the eu regulations they need see for example the article 17 copyright law.
    Didn't pub lady who was buying greek coverage win in the end?
  • Options

Rich tradition of centuries old communal celebrations innit, though to which strand of celebration 'Kill All Taigs' belongs to, who can say.

https://twitter.com/little_pengelly/status/1413432170719313922?s=20

• Options

Rich tradition of centuries old communal celebrations innit, though to which strand of celebration 'Kill All Taigs' belongs to, who can say.

It is quite magnificent, however. That is undeniable
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

she did many didnt

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich-pub-fined-6-700-for-showing-premier-league-games-808594
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, any self respecting football hooligan knows not to pick on civilians. They need to search out an opposing firm. Picking on a couple with a kid just shows what arseholes they are.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Pagan2 said:

She did.

Sadly for Pagan and her she lost the right to broadcast those matches once we left the EU.

Largely for the same reason Sky Go no longer works in the EU.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

she did many didnt

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich-pub-fined-6-700-for-showing-premier-league-games-808594
    I believe the distinction on which she won was she was showing matches not available by a local service
  • Options
    S
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

Ok fair enough - so why all the stories about people being "pinged" left, right and centre and destroying hospitality by staff being forced to isolate. Or is the issue that lots of staff are voluntarily isolating, and their employers are powerless to prevent them?
    I would guess it's just from the bluetooth functionality, but it would be interesting to see some actual statistics on this rather than just me guessing/speculating.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

She did.

Sadly for Pagan and her she lost the right to broadcast those matches once we left the EU.

Yes she won and many others didnt win. As I said as I remember she won because the matches she was showing werent available on sky....if they had been she would have lost
  • Options

With EU goods and services and all that, what stops Netflix just saying to Spanish customers you buy netflix from Netflix Portugal? I don't see how they can calculate it or enforce it?
    Imputed revenues:

# Spanish based customers x average package price
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2021

All I can see when I look at that is the Burnistoun "widden pallets" sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4HK5c7VmBw
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

She did.

You recently replied to a comment of mine in rhe guise of "Mike Smithson"

I see nothing wrong with this. I believe multiple identities are to be encouraged - European, British, English, gay, trans, salamander - every man can wear many hats, it is one reason I eagerly voted Remain.

I just want to make this is clear so I don't move in dread of Mike "Jehovah" Smithson, when it is not actually He
  • Options
    Leon said:

S

It is quite magnificent, however. That is undeniable
    I read somewhere that the haulage industry is beginning to suffer a dire shortage of palettes. Now may not be the optimum time to burn thousands of them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

She did.

I see nothing wrong with this. I believe multiple identities are to be encouraged - European, British, English, gay, trans, salamander - every man can wear many hats, it is one reason I eagerly voted Remain.

I just want to make this is clear so I don't move in dread of Mike "Jehovah" Smithson, when it is not actually He
    Don't be as dense as a ScotNat.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    stodge said:

Moving away from football to elections and it's the second Bulgarian General Election of the year tomorrow.

The story so far - back in April, the GERB party of Boyko Borisov won 75 seats in the 240 seat National Assembly.. This was a loss of 20 seats for the ruling party.

The big winners in April were ITN (There is Such a Nation), the party of media personality Slavi Trifonov who won 52 seats from nowhere. The principal victims of ITN's rise were the left-wing Coalition for Bulgaria who lost nearly half their seats falling from 80 to 43. The other big winners were Democratic Bulgaria, a split from GERB, who won 27 seats.

The Movement for Rights and Freedom won 30 seats and the anti-corruption party won 14.

Needless to say, such an indecisive result led to political paralysis with neither Bosisov not Trifonov able to form a Government - the independent Stefan Yanev has bene left holding the fort but new elections were inevitable.

Changes from last poll. The Union well clear of the others but all six main parties look as though they will be back in the next Bundestag.

The Bulgarians sure have better names. Stand up Mafia Get out.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

She did.

Technically as he must of logged into mikes account to do so he is guilty of accessing a computer system in an unauthorised way as I believe its held that even being given the password and login details is still unauthorised access under the various computer crime acts
  • Options
    The Sunday Times say the gap between jabs is going to be reduced to four weeks.
  • Options

The Sunday Times say the gap between jabs is going to be reduced to four weeks.

Only 4 weeks too late.....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Indeed.
    ITN - thats news
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Only fifty percent?

That's really reassuring that its that low already considering people were saying circa 80% or so not long ago.

Government needs to hold its nerve and we'll have crossover before long.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Indeed.
    Bad news for those hoping those of a formerly criminal nature were going to go straight through the medium of comedy.
  • Options

This is a minority culture - so you must understand that (a) they don't really mean it (b) it is a part of the diverse tapestry of their culture....

Bit like that alabaster bowl that Blair so liked.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Interesting....

Trial to see if giving repeated doses of the vaccine will help long covid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9775925/Can-long-Covid-cured-monthly-dose-vaccine.html
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Looks fun!
  • Options
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

Does the insanity of tomorrow’s front pages put you off buying one? Or are they a keepable momento?

The star still pushing pineapple pizza. Interesting fact, did you know 90% of the worlds Hawaiian pizza originate in Hawaii? They also have a lucky tie and lucky touch of the goalies gloves.

There is also push in other papers to tie the success narrative to the Royal Family.

The Observers quite sensible, if the players get wrapped up in the occasion and pressure we are creating, it could inflict their performance.

I got it as a tight match 50/50. We could lose. Will make a change smashing up Italian cars rather than German ones.

Are we still allowed not to bother to turn up to work Monday if having been out all night rioting?
  • Options

Looks fun!
    I particularly liked one of the tweets that pointed out all the blue pallets were blue because they were treated with carcinogens and shouldnt be burnt....oh well I am sure they will all have a fun class action suit 20 years from now
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Looks fun!
    I particularly liked one of the tweets that pointed out all the blue pallets were blue because they were treated with carcinogens and shouldnt be burnt....oh well I am sure they will all have a fun class action suit 20 years from now
    Also suspecting the people who built this also are XR supporters and have no sense of irony
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

I would not have thought disrupted school education would affect new medical students. Surely the problems are with existing clinical students and perhaps even junior hospital doctors in those specialities that have more or less ground to a halt for Covid.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

I would not have thought disrupted school education would affect new medical students. Surely the problems are with existing clinical students and perhaps even junior hospital doctors in those specialities that have more or less ground to a halt for Covid.
    I suspect that there will be quite a lot of interesting papers on education coming out of the comparison of the effected groups with the un-effected.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

I mean that many have got in with lower grades than normally required for Med School entry though we are not sure who.

Clearly there has been significant disruption to undergrads too. We shall see what the effects are at finals, I suppose.

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Roger said:

gealbhan said:

MattW said:

I didn't mention a son what shit are you spouting now?
    Apologies I have clearly got that wrong.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdata

No offence intended, but has there been anything in your 'A' level knowledge that would actually stop you being an effective doctor today? I'm guessing almost everything you use on a day to day basis is from med school onwards.

This discussion has been closed.