Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Conclusions for all parties from Batley and Spen – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Still confident about my laying Spain for the tournament strategy.

Honest.

Aren't you also laying England?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832

Switzerland out which leaves:-

1 England 3.2 31.2%
    2 Spain 3.3 30.3%
    3 Italy 6 16.7%
    4 Belgium 8.8 11.4%
    5 Denmark 13 7.7%
    6 Czechia 36 2.8%
    7 Ukraine 50 2.0%

Can’t believe Belgium are that high a price
    2 of the 3 LCFC players left in the tournament (Tielemans and Praet) play for Belgium. I want them to do well, but also to come back uninjured.

A dilemma, and Italy look the most complete team in the tournament.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

ping said:

TOPPING said:

You know the @3million ?

Well, they were half right:

The statistics released today (Friday 2 July) show there were 6.02 million applications made to the scheme by 30 June with 5.1 million grants of status. There have been more than 5.3 million applications from England, 291,200 from Scotland, 98,600 from Wales, and 98,400 from Northern Ireland.

The surge in applications, including more than 400,000 in June alone, means that there are around 570,000 pending applications. The Government has repeatedly assured those who applied before the deadline that they will have their rights protected until their application is decided, as set out in law, and they have the means to prove their protected rights if needed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/eu-settlement-scheme-statistics

It explains why so many voted to Leave.

Immigration levels were off the scale from 2004-2016, utterly extraordinary.
    How did it affect you personally?
    Personally? I got quite a bit of sex out of it. If we're going to have mass immigration then having young nubile blonde females emigrating en-mass from Poland and Lithuanian is as good as it gets. But, I live in an affluent rural area and my salary & prospects were unaffected.

I also saw very rapid social change in big towns and cities, including Basingstoke, that took place over a very short number of years, that changed the character of the town, and caused housing and wage pressures for many lower-earning locals and a friction and resentment that wasn't necessary.

I thought the immigration rates were crazy then and still do now.
    The reality for me is complex.

On the one hand family wise, it’s been a great plus for me. I have a wonderful Finnish sister in law via my older brother - and my younger brother, with profound learning difficulties has undoubtedly benefitted from Eastern European carers.

But it’s probably come at a personal cost for me, employment wise - and the wider economic cost to lower paid Brits is obvious.

The key point is - that no one was asked, and anyone who objected to a 10% increase in the population via immigration was called racist.

That was profoundly unfair. Labour, the LDs and the liberal tories share the blame for this.
    It's potentially more than 10%. Some EU residents are now British Citizens so don't need to apply, and some have undoubtedly gone home over the last year so the peak figure would have been higher.
    In the wake of the Brexit vote, there was a well publicized serge in people form the UK for a variety of EU passports, I don't know the total number, but have More EU nationals applied to live in the UK or vice versa?
    Since 2016, more than 350,000 UK citizens have applied to acquire the nationality of another EU member state, with some giving up their British passports to keep their EU rights after Brexit.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/73897/dual-citizenship-can-i-get-an-eu-passport-before-brexit

Or course, you need to add people who have applied for residency permits in EU countries.
    Up to a million lived there (excluding Ireland) - I don't think the EU knows how may have settled there:

In 2019, according to UN data, 1.3 million people born in the UK lived in EU countries. Spain hosted the largest group, at 302,000, followed by Ireland, with 293,000. France was third with 177,000, Germany was fourth with 99,000 and Italy was fifth with 66,000.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-facts/how-many-british-citizens-live-in-the-eu/

However you cut it, more than four times as many EU citizens live in the UK as UK citizens live in the EU.
    Not everyone who has applied for settled status is actually UK resident..
    How do you apply for settled status without being resident in the UK?

I know quite a few that applied before returning. It keeps options open.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

ping said:

TOPPING said:

You know the @3million ?

The statistics released today (Friday 2 July) show there were 6.02 million applications made to the scheme by 30 June with 5.1 million grants of status. There have been more than 5.3 million applications from England, 291,200 from Scotland, 98,600 from Wales, and 98,400 from Northern Ireland.

The surge in applications, including more than 400,000 in June alone, means that there are around 570,000 pending applications. The Government has repeatedly assured those who applied before the deadline that they will have their rights protected until their application is decided, as set out in law, and they have the means to prove their protected rights if needed.

Personally? I got quite a bit of sex out of it. If we're going to have mass immigration then having young nubile blonde females emigrating en-mass from Poland and Lithuanian is as good as it gets. But, I live in an affluent rural area and my salary & prospects were unaffected.

I also saw very rapid social change in big towns and cities, including Basingstoke, that took place over a very short number of years, that changed the character of the town, and caused housing and wage pressures for many lower-earning locals and a friction and resentment that wasn't necessary.

On the one hand family wise, it’s been a great plus for me. I have a wonderful Finnish sister in law via my older brother - and my younger brother, with profound learning difficulties has undoubtedly benefitted from Eastern European carers.

But it’s probably come at a personal cost for me, employment wise - and the wider economic cost to lower paid Brits is obvious.

The key point is - that no one was asked, and anyone who objected to a 10% increase in the population via immigration was called racist.

That was profoundly unfair. Labour, the LDs and the liberal tories share the blame for this.
    It's potentially more than 10%. Some EU residents are now British Citizens so don't need to apply, and some have undoubtedly gone home over the last year so the peak figure would have been higher.
    In the wake of the Brexit vote, there was a well publicized serge in people form the UK for a variety of EU passports, I don't know the total number, but have More EU nationals applied to live in the UK or vice versa?
    Since 2016, more than 350,000 UK citizens have applied to acquire the nationality of another EU member state, with some giving up their British passports to keep their EU rights after Brexit.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/73897/dual-citizenship-can-i-get-an-eu-passport-before-brexit

Or course, you need to add people who have applied for residency permits in EU countries.
    Up to a million lived there (excluding Ireland) - I don't think the EU knows how may have settled there:

In 2019, according to UN data, 1.3 million people born in the UK lived in EU countries. Spain hosted the largest group, at 302,000, followed by Ireland, with 293,000. France was third with 177,000, Germany was fourth with 99,000 and Italy was fifth with 66,000.

However you cut it, more than four times as many EU citizens live in the UK as UK citizens live in the EU.

But you have to be living in the UK to apply?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

EU migration has been bloody brilliant for this country. London became capital of the world in approximately 2001, in large part because of the influx of talented, young, skilled Europeans.

There’s very little evidence that migration has suppressed working class wages - and it’s not as if people haven’t looked. Rather, the evidence suggests that European migration has been of significant benefit to U.K. productivity.

I am sympathetic to the argument that “nobody asked us”, but sadly the alternative this country looks likely to face is slow economic decline and cultural stagnation.

And what happened to levels of home ownership and inequality in London since 2001 ?

Now some people might want to live in a self styled 'capital of the world' but what about the average person who wants an average job and to live in an average house with an average family and have an average life ?

Because London isn't a place for the averages but for the extremes.

And Mr Average isn't never going to reach the extreme at the top so that destines him to the extreme at the bottom.
    Home ownership in London has also been negatively impacted by an inflow of foreign money. There are whole blocks of flats that are basically empty.
    And a lot of the rest are bought by BTL landlords.
    That's not so bad, though. At least people actually live in them.
    Well, if you are trying to secure a Conservative hegemony, it is bad because renters are more likely to vote Labour. If, on the other hand, you are concerned with (small L) labour mobility, then a large rental sector is good. If you worry about unequal distribution of wealth, it is also bad.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    🛳️Exclusive: Private companies will be asked to pay for the running of Boris Johnson's new national flagship to bring down the costs to the taxpayer https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/02/private-donors-called-put-wind-sails-royal-yacht-project/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1625252737
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

1 England 3.2 31.2%
    2 Spain 3.3 30.3%
    3 Italy 6 16.7%
    4 Belgium 8.8 11.4%
    5 Denmark 13 7.7%
    6 Czechia 36 2.8%
    7 Ukraine 50 2.0%

2 of the 3 LCFC players left in the tournament (Tielemans and Praet) play for Belgium. I want them to do well, but also to come back uninjured.

They do now. 1-0.

ETA: strike that. :smiley:
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

Foxy said:

1 England 3.2 31.2%
    2 Spain 3.3 30.3%
    3 Italy 6 16.7%
    4 Belgium 8.8 11.4%
    5 Denmark 13 7.7%
    6 Czechia 36 2.8%
    7 Ukraine 50 2.0%

They do now. 1-0.
    Not so fast.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    tlg86 said:

Still confident about my laying Spain for the tournament strategy.

Honest.

Aren't you also laying England?
    I am.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

ping said:

TOPPING said:

You know the @3million ?

Yes, but possible to leave after application.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602

NEW THREAD

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

ping said:

TOPPING said:

You know the @3million ?

So they applied before leaving, not returning?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

ping said:

TOPPING said:

You know the @3million ?

So they applied before leaving, not returning?
    No plans to return at present, apart from doing some locums.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    These 2 teams are so much better than anyone else in the competition it’s just embarrassing. This really should have been the final.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    edited July 2021
    Actually, England could beat either of these teams. We have a tenacious defence, some superb if underused attackers, an on-form top class goalie, and from the semis on, we’re at home

This is easily the most winnable tournament for England since 1996 (which we should have won)
This discussion has been closed.