Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

With just eight campaigning days to go – Tories still strong favourites to take Batley & Spen – poli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2021 in General
imageWith just eight campaigning days to go – Tories still strong favourites to take Batley & Spen – politicalbetting.com

The chart shows the latest betting on next week’s by-election in Batley & Spen where Labour is pinning its hopes on Jo Cox’s sister to see them home in what could be a tricky contest. This isn’t helped by ex LAB and then Respect MP, George Galloway standing on an anti-Starmer platform.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,207
    I spent a small portion of my C&A winnings on Labour to hold Batley & Spen.

Not exactly confident.
    FPT

O/T - Can someone explain to me why discussions of white privilege which really only started in the UK in the last few years is the reason why white working class children have had poor educational outcomes for decades?

Am I missing something major or are people talking shite?
    O/T - What the feck are Scotland doing? I hope they get knocked out tonight.

England have two players in isolation because they briefly came into contact with Billy Gilmour but no Scotland player or coaching staff have been in close contact with Billy Gilmour.

An absolute disgrace.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,693
    Who were the jokers throwing money on the Lib Dems after there C&A win?

One win in the south doesn't mean they're going to win everywhere.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

England have two players in isolation because they briefly came into contact with Billy Gilmour but no Scotland player or coaching staff have been in close contact with Billy Gilmour.

An absolute disgrace.

Have a heart! They've haven't got much going for them. One lucky break. Let them have it
    FPT
    RobD said:

RobD said:

ComRes: Con 44, Lab 30, LD 10

Con 44 (+3) Lab 30 (-4) LD 10 (+2) Grn 5 (-1) SNP 4 (-1) Other 6 (-1)

18th - 20th June

What hoped has Starmer got if he loses B & S
    Has a party ever been on 44% after11 years in Government after four elections?
    Yes.

In the high 40s peaking at 49% after 11 years in power and three general elections.

I also have another government at 42% after 11 years in power and three general elections.
    Japan, Singapore?
    Nope, the UK.
    The second is from early '91?
    The Tories polled well over 44% in late 1990/91, hitting 49% after eleven years and three general elections.

The other example is from 1962.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,235

An absolute disgrace.

It just seems incredible that most everyone with Scotland were not in contact with Gilmour but two England players were

It is inexplicable and frankly absurd
    Roger said:

An absolute disgrace.

Have a heart! They've haven't got much going for them. One lucky break. Let them have it
    They are worse than antivaxxers and Covid-19 deniers.

Scotland deserve to be humiliated on a par with the times they drew with Iran and The Faroe Islands.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Whilst I am not SKS's greatest fan, the blame for the unnecessary by-election in B&S is properly laid at Tracy Brabin's door.

She saw a lucrative & more powerful position, and went for it -- heedless of the difficulties it would make for Labour.

If she had wanted to stand for Mayor, she should have stood down in December 1999 as MP for B&S.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,693

An absolute disgrace.

I explained this to my wife. She just laughed and said that wasn't likely.
    If we see an outbreak in the Croatian team at the weekend, we know exactly what has REALLY happened.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

An absolute disgrace.

The whole approach by football as an industry to COVID has been a disaster and totally inconsistent.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,195

FPT

O/T - Can someone explain to me why discussions of white privilege which really only started in the UK in the last few years is the reason why white working class children have had poor educational outcomes for decades?

People are talking shite but in any case, White Privilege is not intended to explain why WWC children are shortchanged by the education system.
    edited June 2021

An absolute disgrace.

It just seems incredible that most everyone with Scotland were not in contact with Gilmour but two England players were

I some how doubt that the footballers simply train or in their hotel rooms alone, never interacting with one another other than on the training pitch.....about as likely as finding out they aren't spending their downtime asking for nudes from Instagram "models", instead reading the works of Nietzsche.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,163
    edited June 2021

FPT

The phrase "white privilege" is newish.

The attitude of aggressive disparagement towards the working class is not. As is the recognition that this disparagement is not applied to the same behaviours when evinced by members of protected minority groups.

I suggest you try this book by a noted right wing, reactionary extremist (Owen Jones) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=9781781683989
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,517

FPT

The latter. Big time.

I've read the SC report - absolutely no evidence on the 'white privilege' thing, and as you say white w/c poor/FSM children have had the poorest educational outcomes of all social groups (except those in care) ever since meaningful data started being collected about 30 years ago.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,348

Not exactly confident.

I expected Labour to win this from the start, and thought they were excellent value at 3.5. George Galloway's lot have complicated things however. I still think Labour are the value bet, but what I expect to happen is a Con gain with a lot of the Muslim vote pealing off to Galloway.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,332
    Meanwhile in "I don't know what this means, but it doesn't look good" news,

YouGov: Do Britons think the process of Brexit complete?

ALL BRITONS
    Yes - 9% / No - 72%

REMAIN VOTERS
    Yes - 6% / No - 81%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Yes - 13% / No - 71%

https://t.co/R96KVhVMVE
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,517
    edited June 2021
    Interestingly (I think) the odds on Labour winning Batley & Spen on Bet 365 have come in from 12/5 yesterday to 7/4 today.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

FPT

What the report is saying, is that class rather than race is the better determinant of educational outcomes (as you’d know, from experience), and that modern US-imported Crititcal Race Theory is only throwing fuel on that fire.
    edited June 2021

An absolute disgrace.

I some how doubt that the footballers simply train or in their hotel rooms alone, never interacting with one another other than on the training pitch.....about as likely as finding out they aren't spending their downtime asking for nudes from Instagram "models", instead reading the works of Nietzsche.
    Greece vs Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfduUFF_i1A
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,389
    I think if the Tories don't win Batley it's more likely to be Galloway than Labour.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,825

ALL BRITONS
    Yes - 9% / No - 72%

REMAIN VOTERS
    Yes - 6% / No - 81%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Yes - 13% / No - 71%

PB TORIES
    Yes - 110% / No - Shut Up!!!
    edited June 2021

FPT

The attitude of aggressive disparagement towards the working class is not. As is the recognition that this disparagement is not applied to the same behaviours when evinced by members of protected minority groups.

I suggest you try this book by a noted right wing, reactionary extremist (Owen Jones) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=9781781683989
    Owen Jones always talks shite.

If you look at the stats you can tell roughly where most people will end up in an educational outcome by their class and the occupation of their parents, which is why you see so many black and other non white children at the bottom of the education league tables.

My life outcome was largely determined by the fact my father was a doctor from Dore, if my father had been a bus driver from Darnall I know my life outcomes would be so much different for the worse.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Scott_xP said:

ALL BRITONS
    Yes - 9% / No - 72%

REMAIN VOTERS
    Yes - 6% / No - 81%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Yes - 13% / No - 71%

PB TORIES
    People here are claiming it is complete? I've not seen much evidence of that.
    Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

I expected Labour to win this from the start, and thought they were excellent value at 3.5. George Galloway's lot have complicated things however. I still think Labour are the value bet, but what I expect to happen is a Con gain with a lot of the Muslim vote pealing off to Galloway.
    Yes. I’m laying Labour in this one. GG has done it before, making certain ‘communities’ angry and turning out, in an otherwise low turnout by-election.

An absolute disgrace.

It's slightly galling when my 11 year old daughter is in the early stages of ten days of house arrest because two children in the other year 6 class at her school have tested positive. She's tested negative, but still that's her weekend and school residential next week ruled out.
    It does feel like only the little people have to follow the rules.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,812
    Evening all :)

UK Polls all over the place currently - for every ComRes, there's a Delta Poll showing the Conservatives ahead 41-35 with the LDs on 10 so perhaps we need some time for the latest events to settle, percolate or not.

Elsewhere, the latest INSA poll in Germany as follows:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 28.5% (-4.5)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 19% (+10)
    SPD-S&D: 15.5% (-5)
    FDP-RE: 14% (+3)
    AfD-ID: 10.5% (-2)
    LINKE-LEFT: 7% (-2)

Changes from the 2017 Bundestag election shown.

Better for the Union than the mid-20s of a month ago but all still very much to play for with the FDP continuing to edge up towards their 2009 result when, under Westerwelle, they won 93 seats and 14.8% of the vote. Both the Union and the SPD are staring at their worst results since 1945 by quite some way and of course for the Greens their best by a very long way.

By the way, if you want to see how wrong polls can be, last Sunday's Armenia result is one for the records. A remarkable "win" for Civil Contract and the supposedly unpopular Pashinyan, who, despite presiding over a humiliating military defeat, lost only 16 seats in the Parliament and still won 72 of 101. One wonders what he would have to do to lose his majority (or perhaps one shouldn't).
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    FWIW, my (Tory) MP tonight thinks it is looking good for the Blues at B&S.....
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

An absolute disgrace.

I guess the problem is that the 'coach' visiting the hotel rooms might visit a few.

FPT

If you look at the stats you can tell roughly where most people will end up in an educational outcome by their class and the occupation of their parents, which is why you see so many black and other non white children at the bottom of the education league tables.

My life outcome was largely determined by the fact my father was a doctor from Dore, if my father had been a bus driver from Darnall I know my life outcomes would be so much different.
    Multiplied by culture - some very poor groups value education above all other things as a way out for their children.

The effects of parents from portions of the Hindu Indian community ramming their children through medical school, accountancy (and now IT) are very evident, for example.

Recently, in New York, the more liberal types were fighting a battle to stop all the places at certain high achieving state schools going to members of the Chinese community. Because the poor people in that community were doing things like spending literally half their income on tutors for little Johnny.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

I think that is a correct reading.

The outbreak of hostilities in Israel/Gaza came at a bad time, and I would guess Galloway -- ever the brilliantly cynical exploiter of opportunities -- has taken enough Muslim votes to gift the seat to the Tories.

It also did occur to me that Kim Leadbetter might find rather more scrutiny into her private life as a by-election candidate than as director of a local charity.

Again, if Labour wanted to change the MP at B&S from Tracy Brabin to Kim Leadbetter (who seems very well qualified for the position), it would have been better to do this at GE 2019.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974
    stodge said:

One wonders what he would have to do to lose his majority (or perhaps one shouldn't).

Let someone else count the votes?
    edited June 2021
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

UK Polls all over the place currently - for every ComRes, there's a Delta Poll showing the Conservatives ahead 41-35 with the LDs on 10 so perhaps we need some time for the latest events to settle, percolate or not.

Elsewhere, the latest INSA poll in Germany as follows:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 28.5% (-4.5)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 19% (+10)
    SPD-S&D: 15.5% (-5)
    FDP-RE: 14% (+3)
    AfD-ID: 10.5% (-2)
    LINKE-LEFT: 7% (-2)

Changes from the 2017 Bundestag election shown.

Better for the Union than the mid-20s of a month ago but all still very much to play for with the FDP continuing to edge up towards their 2009 result when, under Westerwelle, they won 93 seats and 14.8% of the vote. Both the Union and the SPD are staring at their worst results since 1945 by quite some way and of course for the Greens their best by a very long way.

By the way, if you want to see how wrong polls can be, last Sunday's Armenia result is one for the records. A remarkable "win" for Civil Contract and the supposedly unpopular Pashinyan, who, despite presiding over a humiliating military defeat, lost only 16 seats in the Parliament and still won 72 of 101. One wonders what he would have to do to lose his majority (or perhaps one shouldn't).

The polls really aren't all other the place. They are very consistent and have been for ages, Tories ~43, roughly consistent average 10% ahead. The Labour number is the really the only things that swings around in the range 30-36.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

FPT

I don't think it is the recent concept and discussion but the 'lived experience' of people in those areas. For example in the push to get a more diverse entry of students to oxbridge, white working class boys got lumped in with those at Eton and ignored.

Years ago I lived in Bradford and I would have been much more confident that someone who was gifted in the Muslim community would have a better chance of social mobility than someone from the large sink estate of white people

FPT

My life outcome was largely determined by the fact my father was a doctor from Dore, if my father had been a bus driver from Darnall I know my life outcomes would be so much different for the worse.
    Said Javid says hello.

Though obviously I accept you are talking in generalisations and what you say is generally true.

Though being working poor is not such a disadvantage if you are lucky enough to be from a stable family which values education.The real killer of chances is a poor and chaotic background.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,473

Meanwhile in "I don't know what this means, but it doesn't look good" news,

ALL BRITONS
    Yes - 9% / No - 72%

REMAIN VOTERS
    Yes - 6% / No - 81%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Yes - 13% / No - 71%

It tells you that all surveys have problems and that the best way to maximise uncertainty is to ask an unclear, ambiguous question.

edited June 2021
    How George Galloway is described on the George Galloway website.

"There’s only one George Galloway. Six-term Parliamentarian, freedom fighter, man of the world. Writer, broadcaster, film-maker. Football and boxing enthusiast, movie-goer, box-set binger. Husband, father of five children, Scottish of Irish background, honorary Palestinian, Iraqi, Syrian, Egyptian… Friend of Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Benazir Bhutto, Yasser Arafat, Tariq Aziz. Trembling with indignation at any injustice, anywhere."

https://www.georgegalloway.com
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited June 2021

An absolute disgrace.

It's obviously nonsense. The quarantining of Gilmour plus two of the England players is a carefully calibrated political response designed to do the following:

1. Pretend that we are taking the rules about Covid tracing and isolation seriously, even though we aren't in this instance
    2. Ensure that the English authorities aren't accused of only picking on the Scots
    3. Keep both sides in the tournament, rather than becoming hugely unpopular (and risking an international incident) by forcing them - or, even worse, Scotland but not England - to isolate en masse (and, by extension, withdraw from the competition and disrupt the whole tournament in the process)

It's all quite arbitrary and has nothing really to do with suppressing the wretched virus at all, beyond conning the general public into believing that the rules apply equally to everyone and should therefore continue to be tolerated. They don't, of course.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,235
    Scott_xP said:

ALL BRITONS
    Yes - 9% / No - 72%

REMAIN VOTERS
    Yes - 6% / No - 81%

LEAVE VOTERS
    Yes - 13% / No - 71%

PB TORIES
    You are so immature

Of course it is nowhere near complete and this poll does not surprise me at all

I doubt I would be even at 10%
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

Yes. I’m laying Labour in this one. GG has done it before, making certain ‘communities’ angry and turning out, in an otherwise low turnout by-election.
    Galloway has just been laid from 34 to 50 in the last couple of minutes. Still only 25 to back in a thin market.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,974
    Andy_JS said:

"There’s only one George Galloway. Six-term Parliamentarian, freedom fighter, man of the world. Writer, broadcaster, film-maker. Football and boxing enthusiast, movie-goer, box-set binger. Husband, father of five children, Scottish of Irish background, honorary Palestinian, Iraqi, Syrian, Egyptian… Friend of Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Benazir Bhutto, Yasser Arafat, Tariq Aziz. Trembling with indignation at any injustice, anywhere."

But does he have as many honorary degrees as John Bercow?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nunu3 said:

Incidentally when we went to the Disneystore last week absolutely everything we looked at had a discount price sticker on it. 30% to 70% off everything.

Figured that was just because the store had been closed for so long that they had lots of stock to clear, but perhaps its an unofficial closing down sale?

No Chinese or Arab tourists.
    I've never noticed many Chinese or Arab tourists in the Disney Store whenever I've been there. A lot of families with kids, and a lot of push chairs. But not many tourists.

But the parents with kids are probably shopping online much more at the minute.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,127

Andy_JS said:

But does he have as many honorary degrees as John Bercow?
    That's odd. I'm sure he told Owen Jones in a vid this week from B&S that he had six children.

FPT

The latter. Big time.

I've read the SC report - absolutely no evidence on the 'white privilege' thing, and as you say white w/c poor/FSM children have had the poorest educational outcomes of all social groups (except those in care) ever since meaningful data started being collected about 30 years ago.
    Did they mention anything about class sizes?

As someone who was educated in class sizes of around 10-14 pupils I maintain that is one of the major reasons public schools have such good outcomes.

Even if you're the best teacher in the world you won't be able to help pupils when class sizes are approaching the mid 20s.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,925

An absolute disgrace.

"The true man wants 2 things:danger and play. For that reason he wants woman as the most dangerous plaything."

Not for me, Clive.

FPT

If working-class Indian and Chinese pupils do well at school because of the enormous efforts they put it, I can't understand why the blame for white working-class doing badly rests with some unidentifiable other. Maybe it's because they don't put the same effort in as Indian and Chinese pupils. When things go wrong it isn't always "someone else's fault".

FPT

I don't think it is the recent concept and discussion but the 'lived experience' of people in those areas. For example in the push to get a more diverse entry of students to oxbridge, white working class boys got lumped in with those at Eton and ignored.

Years ago I lived in Bradford and I would have been much more confident that someone who was gifted in the Muslim community would have a better chance of social mobility than someone from the large sink estate of white people
    Some years ago, when Brown was PM, Michael Gove was lambasted when he pointed out that the apparent increase in attainment among black children was due to an increase in the number of black children attending private schools and getting the grades to match.

BWC kids were in fact doing slightly worse than before, IIRC
    edited June 2021
    1Pickford
    2Walker
    5Stones
    6Maguire
    3Shaw
    14Phillips
    4Rice
    25Saka
    7Grealish
    10Sterling
    9Kane

What's Sancho done wrong? Foden not even on the bench

FPT

My life outcome was largely determined by the fact my father was a doctor from Dore, if my father had been a bus driver from Darnall I know my life outcomes would be so much different.
    Multiplied by culture - some very poor groups value education above all other things as a way out for their children.

The effects of parents from portions of the Hindu Indian community ramming their children through medical school, accountancy (and now IT) are very evident, for example.

Recently, in New York, the more liberal types were fighting a battle to stop all the places at certain high achieving state schools going to members of the Chinese community. Because the poor people in that community were doing things like spending literally half their income on tutors for little Johnny.
    Thirty or so years back I was told by a Labour councillor on the education committee that the borough's exam results had shot up, due largely to increased immigration.

Andy_JS said:

FPT

If working-class Indian and Chinese pupils do well at school because of the enormous efforts they put it, I can't understand why the blame for white working-class doing badly rests with some unidentifiable other. Maybe it's because they don't put the same effort in as Indian and Chinese pupils. When things go wrong it isn't always "someone else's fault".
    The modern explanation is that Indians and Chinese people have a habit of "acting white"
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Andy_JS said:

It's good but it's no "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

An absolute disgrace.

Would footballers do much training in the middle of a tournament when they are playing every couple of days anyway?
    edited June 2021

FPT

My father was something similar.

Anything other than A was seen as a failure (well apart from art, I can't draw stick men, my father gave me a pass on that),

I was lucky in the respect that every good grade I usually received a nice reward from my parents which they could more than afford.

Although I had to wait until after my GCSEs to get Sky because my father was worried getting Sky would impact my grades.

An absolute disgrace.

Would footballers do much training in the middle of a tournament when they are playing every couple of days anyway?
    Yes, they do a lot of work on "shape".

Andy_JS said:

It's good but it's no "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
    The arse in a silly hat visual rather undermines the website anyway.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,148

FPT

The people who voted against feeding WWC kids are now complaining about poor educational attainment for them...

Andy_JS said:

Too wordy

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,148

An absolute disgrace.

Do we know Mr G actually has Covid? Or is it just a ruse to take some England players out after he's picked up a knock?

An absolute disgrace.

Do we know Mr G actually has Covid? Or is it just a ruse to take some England players out after he's picked up a knock?
    He tested positive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57551368

FPT

The latter. Big time.

As someone who was educated in class sizes of around 10-14 pupils I maintain that is one of the major reasons public schools have such good outcomes.

Even if you're the best teacher in the world you won't be able to help pupils when class sizes are approaching the mid 20s.
    Approaching the mid 20s. Hmm.

Andy_JS said:

Too wordy

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."
    "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Nunu3 said:

Incidentally when we went to the Disneystore last week absolutely everything we looked at had a discount price sticker on it. 30% to 70% off everything.

Figured that was just because the store had been closed for so long that they had lots of stock to clear, but perhaps its an unofficial closing down sale?

I've never noticed many Chinese or Arab tourists in the Disney Store whenever I've been there. A lot of families with kids, and a lot of push chairs. But not many tourists.

Probably doesn’t make too much of a difference at the Trafford Centre. Biscester Village, on the other hand...
    Currently England are most likely to face Germany, at home, in the second round if they win the group while Spain are the most likely opposition, in Copenhagen, should England finish second.

Who could England get if they come 3rd? Because it sounds like a good idea to throw this one..
    dixiedean said:

FPT

The latter. Big time.

Sorry, I should have said, approaching the mid 20s on average, which means class sizes of 30 might not be uncommon?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

Galloway has just been laid from 34 to 50 in the last couple of minutes. Still only 25 to back in a thin market.
    I've been laying GG heavily at 40s.

I can see him damaging Labour big time but I don't think he has a hope in hell of actually winning, even with a low turn out. The Tories will hold around 40%, many LDs and Greens will vote tactically for Labour. Where does GG get his majority from?

I can see Tory 40, Lab 40+10 (LD and Green) - say 20 to GG. So Lab 30 and GG 20.

What scenario gives GG a majority? I cannot see it.

I think the spectacular 2012 Bradford West by-election with a 36% swing is colouring views. But GG is not the fresh exciting breath of fresh air that he was. He's well past his sell by date.
    "George Galloway 'settles' for Heckmondwike Morrisons egg sarnie because he couldn't have his 'usual' Cafe 54 breakfast

Mr Galloway has been spending time getting to know residents and business owners in Batley and Spen"

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/george-galloway-settles-heckmondwike-morrisons-20856279

dixiedean said:

FPT

The latter. Big time.

Sorry, I should have said, approaching the mid 20s on average, which means class sizes of 30 might not be uncommon?
    Standard at my children's school. Have taught 37. But that was many years ago.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,864

1Pickford
    2Walker
    5Stones
    6Maguire
    3Shaw
    14Phillips
    4Rice
    25Saka
    7Grealish
    10Sterling
    9Kane

What's Sancho done wrong? Foden not even on the bench

Foden on a booking so tactical resting.
    edited June 2021
    There were also strong suggestions from Gareth Southgate that Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell will be unavailable for the last-16 tie due to their self-isolation.

Obviously nothing confirmed yet but Southgate didn't seem too convinced. Big blow to lose Mount in particular?

----

Madness.....just test him every day. Its a week until the last 16 match.
    edited June 2021
    Sandpit said:

Nunu3 said:

Probably doesn’t make too much of a difference at the Trafford Centre. Biscester Village, on the other hand...
    The Disney store in Meadowhall is always rammed.

There's going to be a lot of gutted kids, so long as the Lego store remains open then I'll be happy, oops, the kids will be happy.
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

I can see him damaging Labour big time but I don't think he has a hope in hell of actually winning, even with a low turn out. The Tories will hold around 40%, many LDs and Greens will vote tactically for Labour. Where does GG get his majority from?

I can see Tory 40, Lab 40+10 (LD and Green) - say 20 to GG. So Lab 30 and GG 20.

I think the spectacular 2012 Bradford West by-election with a 36% swing is colouring views. But GG is not the fresh exciting breath of fresh air that he was. He's well past his sell by date.
    No Green standing.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,911

Who were the jokers throwing money on the Lib Dems after there C&A win?

One win in the south doesn't mean they're going to win everywhere.

I would imagine most bets on the LDs are part of Betfair "cash outs" where you need to zero out exposure.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    dixiedean said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

No Green standing.
    Even better for Labour. Most Greens will transfer to Labour not GG.

Currently England are most likely to face Germany, at home, in the second round if they win the group while Spain are the most likely opposition, in Copenhagen, should England finish second.

Who could England get if they come 3rd? Because it sounds like a good idea to throw this one..

Will be one not to miss if the Czechs decide the same!

Sandpit said:

Nunu3 said:

There's going to be a lot of gutted kids, so long as the Lego store remains open then I'll be happy, oops, the kids will be hapy.
    I’m not the only one looking in my study at a Saturn V, a Porsche 911 RSR, and an International Space Station then? :D
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

FPT

The latter. Big time.

I cannot comprehend that. I just cannot.

Taking attendance of 37 must have taken up most of the lesson.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,019
    They've dropped the requirement to have had a negative (LFT) Covid Test in order to attend the final (sixth) day at the World Test Championship Final tomorrow, so if anyone wants to go, it's only £25, could be an exciting finish, and no worries if you don't have LFT kits hanging around at home.

They've dropped the requirement to have had a negative (LFT) Covid Test in order to attend the final (sixth) day at the World Test Championship Final tomorrow, so if anyone wants to go, it's only £25, could be an exciting finish, and no worries if you don't have LFT kits hanging around at home.

I would go if it wasn't a 3 hour train journey. If you live nearby, I'd definitely encourage you to go.
    dixiedean said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Not exactly confident.

No Green standing.
    I have some friends in Batley & Spen who are Labour activists and they are worried that the candidate who has labelled himself as the Alliance for Green Socialism will damage Labour.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

FPT

My father was something similar.

Anything other than A was seen as a failure (well apart from art, I can't draw stick men, my father gave me a pass on that),

I was lucky in the respect that every good grade I usually received a nice reward from my parents which they could more than afford.

Although I had to wait until after my GCSEs to get Sky because my father was worried getting Sky would impact my grades.
    Be grateful your parents weren’t from the Ivory Coast. My wife knew one woman who told her daughter she had brought shame on her family by getting 4 A’s at GCSE along with 5 A stars. She expected9 A stars. Her daughter was grounded for a month.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nunu3 said:

There's going to be a lot of gutted kids, so long as the Lego store remains open then I'll be happy, oops, the kids will be hapy.
    I’m not the only one looking in my study at a Saturn V, a Porsche 911 RSR, and an International Space Station then? :D
    Nope.

Have to say building epic Lego sets kept me sane during lockdown.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,606

There were also strong suggestions from Gareth Southgate that Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell will be unavailable for the last-16 tie due to their self-isolation.

Obviously nothing confirmed yet but Southgate didn't seem too convinced. Big blow to lose Mount in particular?

----

Madness.....just test him every day. Its a week until the last 16 match.

AIUI depends on the game day. If we win its a day later and he is all clear, if we lose or draw he is not available for the next one. He couldnt train with the squad until the day of the match though (probably would still be picked?).
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel has received a dose of Moderna as her second shot of coronavirus vaccine having had Oxford-AstraZeneca as her first, a government spokesman said.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has received a dose of Moderna as her second shot of coronavirus vaccine having had Oxford-AstraZeneca as her first, a government spokesman said.

Mix and match is the future.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,593
    dixiedean said:

Will be one not to miss if the Czechs decide the same!
    A draw is best for England, but the Czechs will come top unless they lose. So the Czechs have either to persuade England to put the ball in their net or contrive between them to score an og. England just have to miss all their chances.
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Only the best and the brightest, the crème de la crème get Moderna..... that's what they told me this afternoon anyway.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nunu3 said:

Nope.

My wife bought me a Porsche for Christmas. And was disappointed that I’d finished it by the end of Boxing Day!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,661
    dixiedean said:

An absolute disgrace.

"The true man wants 2 things:danger and play. For that reason he wants woman as the most dangerous plaything."

Not for me, Clive.
    Is that Nietzsche? So true, and especially insightful from a man who had sex maybe twice

I’ve been held at gunpoint in the Lebanon, strafed by Israelis in the mountains, and attacked with a knife in Marseilles, I’ve been slammed in jail as an innocent man. I’ve overdosed on heroin multiple times, I’ve been trapped on a troop train in Siberia, I’ve been lost in the murderous desert of Sechura next a puma rape room. I’ve climbed the high lava lakes of Ethiopia, I’ve lingered in the deathliest place on earth (Yungay, Chile), I’ve broken down in Death Valley, I’ve kayaked in Antarctica with the inventor of Antarctic kayaking (who got scared by the conditions), I’ve jumped off the Dolomites with the world champion paraglider, I’ve had near-fatal heatstroke in Namibia, I’ve smoked dope through the thighbone of a springbok with the last San bushmen, and I once scored crack in Alphabet City, NYC, IN THE 80S - but nothing has fucked with my head so much as a woman. They are brutal
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

An absolute disgrace.

Not for me, Clive.
    Is that Nietzsche? So true, and especially insightful from a man who had sex maybe twice

I’ve been held at gunpoint in the Lebanon, strafed by Israelis in the mountains, and attacked with a knife in Marseilles, I’ve been slammed in jail as an innocent man. I’ve overdosed on heroin multiple times, I’ve been trapped on a troop train in Siberia, I’ve been lost in the murderous desert of Sechura next a puma rape room. I’ve climbed the high lava lakes of Ethiopia, I’ve lingered in the deathliest place on earth (Yungay, Chile), I’ve broken down in Death Valley, I’ve kayaked in Antarctica with the inventor of Antarctic kayaking (who got scared by the conditions), I’ve jumped off the Dolomites with the world champion paraglider, I’ve had near-fatal heatstroke in Namibia, I’ve smoked dope through the thighbone of a springbok with the last San bushmen, and I once scored crack in Alphabet City, NYC, IN THE 80S - but nothing has fucked with my head so much as a woman. They are brutal
    Quite a list of adventures for a humble flint knapper....
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

An absolute disgrace.

Not for me, Clive.

Bloody Hell, glad I don’t have the life of a flint knapper.

Edit: FU, FU.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,937

FPT

Otoh a bus driver from S.London and you could be mayor of that great metropolis.
    And we all know what comes after that.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

FPT

Some years ago, when Brown was PM, Michael Gove was lambasted when he pointed out that the apparent increase in attainment among black children was due to an increase in the number of black children attending private schools and getting the grades to match.

BWC kids were in fact doing slightly worse than before, IIRC
    I did not benefit from a private education but my parents expected me to do well. I grew up in an area that was a mix of working and middle class, and my parents had average jobs - bank clerk and lower management from the shop floor, but they always pushed me, and I was the first person in my family to go to University. The key thing was the expectation - and this is what is often lacking in those groups who have worse outcomes.
    Andy_JS said:

I think if the Tories don't win Batley it's more likely to be Galloway than Labour.

I think the Conservative vote is very solid in B&S, and for Galloway to win, he'd need to dominate the non-Con vote. And I just don't see that right now.

I think the most likely scenario is that Galloway takes enough from Labour to hand the seat to the Conservatives, albeit with the Conservative vote share barely changing from 2019.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nunu3 said:

Nope.

My wife bought me a Porsche for Christmas. And was disappointed that I’d finished it by the end of Boxing Day!
    Heh.

My kids lost interest in Lego around the time I bought them a Playstation, which was back in 2016.

Curiously the family spend on Lego has gone up since 2016.

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

FPT

The latter. Big time.

I cannot comprehend that. I just cannot.

Taking attendance of 37 must have taken up most of the lesson.
    Taking attendance? Were you in borstal? We never had that, apart from registration at the start of each day.

rcs1000 said:

Only the best and the brightest, the crème de la crème get Moderna..... that's what they told me this afternoon anyway.
    Couldn't agree more. We're definitely smarter and more attractive.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,661
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

An absolute disgrace.

Not for me, Clive.

Bloody Hell, glad I don’t have the life of a flint knapper.
    I could have added a dozen more

When I was about 14 and screaming from boredom in a provinicial English city, I swore to myself I would not have a boring life, and I would have loads of stories

I managed all that. But at some cost. Risk comes at a cost. To others as much as oneself
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

An absolute disgrace.

Not for me, Clive.

But you've never actually been deported from a country, I think.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nunu3 said:

Nope.

Heh.

My kids lost interest in Lego around the time I bought them a Playstation, which was back in 2016.

Curiously the family spend on Lego has gone up since 2016.
    :)

Can you get a PS5 retail in the U.K. yet? Still no sign of them out here, except for a few scalpers
This discussion has been closed.