Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

John Bercow – denied a peerage by BoJo on his retirement – now joins Labour – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

An interesting Venn Diagram:

PBers triggered by Bercow
    PBers triggered by the BBC
    PBers triggered by Independent SAGE

Isn't that just a circle?
    No.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,700

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1406324733457702912

We've all had our differences over Brexit, the election, Covid, the EU, Trump...

Finally, the one thing that unites us all comes along.

Bercow. Let us all hate TOGETHER.

Count me out.

I have met both John Bercow and Boris Johnson and the former was much politer then the latter - and really very charming. It surprised me because it did not fit with the public image. My husband has worked with him professionally - in relation to a planning matter in his constituency - and was impressed by his hard work and attention to detail. Husband is rarely impressed by anyone, let alone politicians, so I place a great deal of value on his opinion. He does not give praise easily.

Perhaps there is more to Bercow than the rather one-sided view many on here seem to have?

On topic, I am not sure it will make a great deal of difference to Labour.
    I'm sure there is more to Bercow, and people have mentioned his standing up for Parliament against the executive as a positive thing, but it seems implausible to ascribe the many many reports of his arrogance and poor behaviour solely to political opponents of his, therefore I think it would be an overreaction to entirely dismiss those very numerous accounts on the basis of personal positive experience.

Politics is a brutal business, and when enemies are made a lot of shit gets thrown at people - but the amount of shit thrown at Bercow, and its breadth, is not normal political mucking about either. It's clearly not imaginary.

There are also examples of his poor Speakership which are unrelated to politics, as in the Clerk example I gave for instance. And criticism of him departing from procedure or convention with just cause (other than for political wishes) is a reasonable critique as well.
    I think there's something magnificent about Bercow's pomposity. And he seems to irritate the hell out of all the right people.
    The phrase I most dislike in politics is "it annoys all the right people" (or variations).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    justin124 said:

I live in the Sewell ward of Norwich, where we had two deferred elections on Thursday following the death of the Tory candidate after close of nominations prior to the elections scheduled for 6th May. The boundaries were identical - yet Labour held on to the County Council seat by circa 130 votes whilst losing the City Council seat to the Greens by circa 160. The Greens certainly mounted a strong campaign - delivering 6 leaflets compared with 4 from Labour and no literature at all from the Tories and LDs. I have now been told that Natalie Bennett - the former Green Party leader - was active here on Polling Day - including acting as a Teller. For some reason, the national party appears to have attached particular importance to those two elections!

Norwich was a Green hotspot for a while a few year back iirc. It was a target place for a parliamentary seat. Then it went a bit cool.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Spain have been a dull team for a long time but they seem to have reached new levels of dullness. They bring nothing to this tournament.
  • Options

:lol:

But no not quite a circle as I am triggered by indie SAGE and not by the BBC (although losing Neil was bloody stupid).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

He joined Labour many years ago.

As for attack dog for Labour....the Red Wall aren't going to be impressed are they Mike...Mr Stop Brexit as many of them see him giving it large... will just remind all those Brexit voters that between him and Starmer weren't on their side (or that of democracy).

He isn't a powerful speakers, he comes across as arrogant and pompous.

True, but maybe the red wall is already lost. I’ve no idea whether Bercow will appeal in the blue wall but it’s true Labour do lack an attack dog.

Chihuahuas can be quite aggressive yappy dogs, but they rarely do much damage.
    I wish our one was unable to do damage. She's a compulsive ankle biter, and can easily result people requiring a stitch or two.

But if we take her back to the shelter, she'll be put down, so we're stuck with her for another 15 or so years.
    Get a muzzle.
  • Options
    Kremlin watch:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h
    Senior Labour source responds to changes in LOTO from
    @Keir_Starmer

"This is a takeover by Labour First. Starmer's operation is being taken off him - he'll be a puppet the Labour right use to now clear the decks".
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

We've all had our differences over Brexit, the election, Covid, the EU, Trump...

Count me out.

I have met both John Bercow and Boris Johnson and the former was much politer then the latter - and really very charming. It surprised me because it did not fit with the public image. My husband has worked with him professionally - in relation to a planning matter in his constituency - and was impressed by his hard work and attention to detail. Husband is rarely impressed by anyone, let alone politicians, so I place a great deal of value on his opinion. He does not give praise easily.

Perhaps there is more to Bercow than the rather one-sided view many on here seem to have?

No, he’s vile, the Gollum of British politics.
    Quite possibly true in more ways than one.

As foreseen by Gandalf at the start of the Lord of the Rings, Gollum famously had a critical role to play at the end of it.

Arguably Bercow's meddling with Parliamentary procedures against the clerks advice, in order to facilitate amendments by Grieve and ultimately the Benn Act, played the critical role in stoking the anger against the 2017-19 Parliament that allowed Boris to win his election and Get Brexit Done.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

I'm sure there is more to Bercow, and people have mentioned his standing up for Parliament against the executive as a positive thing, but it seems implausible to ascribe the many many reports of his arrogance and poor behaviour solely to political opponents of his, therefore I think it would be an overreaction to entirely dismiss those very numerous accounts on the basis of personal positive experience.

Politics is a brutal business, and when enemies are made a lot of shit gets thrown at people - but the amount of shit thrown at Bercow, and its breadth, is not normal political mucking about either. It's clearly not imaginary.

There are also examples of his poor Speakership which are unrelated to politics, as in the Clerk example I gave for instance. And criticism of him departing from procedure or convention with just cause (other than for political wishes) is a reasonable critique as well.
    I am not dismissing the criticisms. He is, I think, a curate's egg. But some of the commentary on here is of the "Boo, hiss at the villain" level. And some of the criticisms from MPs have come from people who have been accused of exactly the same thing - bullying and harassment etc (see the details in the Dame Laura Cox report). So I simply wonder how much of the anger at Bercow being a bully, allegedly, is a convenient way of deflecting criticism of MPs accused of the same alleged behaviour.

MPS have had ample opportunity to take the Cox report seriously and implement its recommendations. That they have chosen not to do so in the two and a half years since it was published tells me that they care little about bullying and harassment of staff, no matter how many crocodile tears they choose to shed when it is Bercow doing the bullying.
    I wasn't suggesting you had entirely dismissed the criticism, but it did come across as still a rather basic if inadvertent deflection (and now whataboutery), by suggesting that people's dislike of Bercow may not be for the reasons they claim it is, in part because your own experience of him was much more pleasant, which I'm sure is true (and I agree the bullying stuff is not what is behind Bercow not getting a peerage for instance) but is unlikely to change the broad picture - there being more to him doesn't necessarily affect the conclusion people have of him.

After all, there's more to Corbyn and Boris too, but that doesn't undermine the opinion many here hold of both when they criticise them without bringing up the nuance. They don't bring up that nuance every time, does that undo the criticisms?

I would agree that Bercow is not a pantomime villain, except insofar as he seemed to enjoy the pantomime of the role - in which case he or others finding fault with people seeing him in that context seems misplaced to me. One thing people can surely agree on is that Bercow enjoyed the limelight and the theatricalilty of the role in his performances - and people respond to him theatrically as well. Not only can he have no complaints about that, I imagine he would be disappointed if they did not. That's the game he played.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,552
    Bercow joining Labour would, I think, worry SKS more than Boris.

If (impossibly) in due course Mr Speaker Hoyle joined the Tories it would, I think, worry SKS more than Boris.

That's the difference.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

As for attack dog for Labour....the Red Wall aren't going to be impressed are they Mike...Mr Stop Brexit as many of them see him giving it large... will just remind all those Brexit voters that between him and Starmer weren't on their side (or that of democracy).

True, but maybe the red wall is already lost. I’ve no idea whether Bercow will appeal in the blue wall but it’s true Labour do lack an attack dog.

I wish our one was unable to do damage. She's a compulsive ankle biter, and can easily result people requiring a stitch or two.

But if we take her back to the shelter, she'll be put down, so we're stuck with her for another 15 or so years.
    Get a muzzle.
    It's a bit late to muzzle the wife now, as we already have the dog.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I live in the Sewell ward of Norwich, where we had two deferred elections on Thursday following the death of the Tory candidate after close of nominations prior to the elections scheduled for 6th May. The boundaries were identical - yet Labour held on to the County Council seat by circa 130 votes whilst losing the City Council seat to the Greens by circa 160. The Greens certainly mounted a strong campaign - delivering 6 leaflets compared with 4 from Labour and no literature at all from the Tories and LDs. I have now been told that Natalie Bennett - the former Green Party leader - was active here on Polling Day - including acting as a Teller. For some reason, the national party appears to have attached particular importance to those two elections!

Norwich was a Green hotspot for a while a few year back iirc. It was a target place for a parliamentary seat. Then it went a bit cool.
    Indeed so - though that was Norwich South. The Sewell ward falls in Norwich North where the Greens have few good prospects - as evidenced by the 2009 Parliamentary by election - held at the peak of the local Green surge - when they ended up 5th behind UKIP. Perhaps it was simply a case of taking advantage of a double election to boost their local standing , though I would have thought that Chesham & Amersham merited a higher priority. It partly worked for them - in that had the elections gone ahead as planned on 6th May , I strongly suspect Labour would have won both seats fairly comfortably.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Andy_JS said:

Just watched a replay of the Polish goal, and it looked like the goalscorer pushed one of the Spanish defenders out of the way just before he jumped to head the goal in. Isn't that a foul?

Looks a bit dubious. But i get the impression that VAR in this tournament is being used far more sparingly to over-rule on pitch decisions in this tournament than we are used to in the Premier League.

Which on balance, i consider a good thing.
    Indeed the VAR is being very well done, to the point of being barely visible, which is how it should be.

The PL needs to get its act together.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Do we know that he's joining Labour because he was denied a seat in the HoL? Isn't it just a case of what first attracted you to the multi millionaire Paul Daniels?'
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

No, a Venn diagram is topographically always the same no matter what the content of the sets. You are thinking of a Euler diagram. Possibly.
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Record demand at A&E puts patient lives ‘at risk’ #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    algarkirk said:

Bercow joining Labour would, I think, worry SKS more than Boris.

If (impossibly) in due course Mr Speaker Hoyle joined the Tories it would, I think, worry SKS more than Boris.

That's the difference.

Who cares about Bercow?. It is being suggested that he can attack Boris but he is like Cummings.. No-one cares about a nasty little man like Bercow. He fails as does Cummings.. the... would you buy a used car from.this man,?
  • Options
    Wasn't it Bercow who saw to Select Committee chairs being elected? That was a positive if it was him.
  • Options
    Will Starmer put him up for a title?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Record demand at A&E puts patient lives ‘at risk’ #TomorrowsPapersToday

What are all these record A&E presentations presenting with? Because by definition it can't be Covid.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

I'm old enough to remember when certain people on PB were predicting that the UK would host Euro 2020 by themselves while the rest of Europe would look on enviously.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,608
    alex_ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

What are all these record A&E presentations presenting with? Because by definition it can't be Covid.
    Injuries from being drunk, most likely.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

I know. That's what I'm wondering. Suspect some of this is because some GPs are still refusing to see patients face to face.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I think i may have found something more offensive than pineapple on pizza....

https://twitter.com/indiespiritbath/status/1406182904397504512?s=19

This is most definitely not the way.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    rcs1000 said:

Re Bercow, there are really three facets to his time as speaker - two of which were negative and one which was positive.

The negatives were:
    1. His personal bullying of underlings and then the use of his office to cover it up. (Albeit one should remember than Ms Patel is probably guilty of that too.)
    2. The way he allowed his personal political beliefs to affect his role as Speaker, particularly as regards Brexit.

The positive was:
    1. He stood up for backbench MPs against the Executive, which given that the Executive has steadily gained power relative to the Legislature is no bad thing.

In general, he's a failure. But I'd put him slightly higher up the ladder of Speakers than Martin - albeit in the same way I'd rather have Syphilis than Herpes.

Thing is, is there any real evidence that he stood up for the back benchers against the Executive except in areas where he was in agreement with the back benchers or basically hated the Executive?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

What is the downside of the dog being put down? If you want a dog buy it as a puppy and bring it up to be a nice dog. The world is oversupplied with fucking horrible quote rescue unquote dogs which get sent to shelters in the first place because they are too fucking horrible for their owners to deal with but nobody can cope with the guilt of terminating them. Dogs which bite humans, or other dogs, or livestock, need killing.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    Bercow should stand as the Labour candidate in Buckingham at the next election. He's popular in the constituency so loads of neutrals would vote for him as would Remainer Tories, the Lib Dems and the (ever increasing number of) Boris-phobic Tories. That would really rub Boris's nose in it for denying him that peerage.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    edited June 2021
    John Bercow attacks Conservative Party sounds a bit dog-bites-man. Though if he's going to be calling people nasty, xenophobic and reactionary he's at risk of having his past thrown back at him.

Anyway, this strikes me as significant: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/19/exclusive-matt-hancock-kept-boris-johnson-dark-covid-vaccines/
    - Matt Hancock sat on the massive downscaling of hospitalisations in the models until after the meeting at which lockdown was extended.

EDIT - Apologies, no he sat on the data which showed the vaccines were much more effective than had previously been assumed against Delta. Different witholding, same outcome.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

I am not dismissing the criticisms. He is, I think, a curate's egg. But some of the commentary on here is of the "Boo, hiss at the villain" level. And some of the criticisms from MPs have come from people who have been accused of exactly the same thing - bullying and harassment etc (see the details in the Dame Laura Cox report). So I simply wonder how much of the anger at Bercow being a bully, allegedly, is a convenient way of deflecting criticism of MPs accused of the same alleged behaviour.

MPS have had ample opportunity to take the Cox report seriously and implement its recommendations. That they have chosen not to do so in the two and a half years since it was published tells me that they care little about bullying and harassment of staff, no matter how many crocodile tears they choose to shed when it is Bercow doing the bullying.
    It does rather depressing me that institution after institution in our country is revealed to be a toxic mess of bullying, corruption and incompetence.

I think it is probably intrinsic to hierarchical structures, whether Brewdog, the Speakers Office, Parliament itself, the Royal Family or the NHS. The only way to root it out seems to be non-heirarchical structures, or perhaps that is my inner Anarcho-Syndicalist showing.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

What is the downside of the dog being put down? If you want a dog buy it as a puppy and bring it up to be a nice dog. The world is oversupplied with fucking horrible quote rescue unquote dogs which get sent to shelters in the first place because they are too fucking horrible for their owners to deal with but nobody can cope with the guilt of terminating them. Dogs which bite humans, or other dogs, or livestock, need killing.
    Can see a pretty hefty downside from the dog's POV.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    Cookie said:

John Bercow attacks Conservative Party sounds a bit dog-bites-man. Though if he's going to be calling people nasty, xenophobic and reactionary he's at risk of having his past thrown back at him.

Anyway, this strikes me as significant: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/19/exclusive-matt-hancock-kept-boris-johnson-dark-covid-vaccines/
    - Matt Hancock sat on the massive downscaling of hospitalisations in the models until after the meeting at which lockdown was extended.

But why would he do that? Unless he was totally f*cking useless, which we know he's not, because Boris said so.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

It does rather depressing me that institution after institution in our country is revealed to be a toxic mess of bullying, corruption and incompetence.

I think it is probably intrinsic to hierarchical structures, whether Brewdog, the Speakers Office, Parliament itself, the Royal Family or the NHS. The only way to root it out seems to be non-heirarchical structures, or perhaps that is my inner Anarcho-Syndicalist showing.
    Are there any examples of non hierarchical social structures, except possibly among ants and termites and so on?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

I know. That's what I'm wondering. Suspect some of this is because some GPs are still refusing to see patients face to face.
    That, and people cannot get outpatients appointments either. The system is seizing up.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

It's a self-aware dog?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

Are there any examples of non hierarchical social structures, except possibly among ants and termites and so on?
    Not may perfect examples, but PB comes fairly close with its light touch moderation.
  • Options
    If dogs behave badly its usually the fault of the owner.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Cookie said:

But why would he do that? Unless he was totally f*cking useless, which we know he's not, because Boris said so.
    Presumably because he wanted to persuade the PM to extend lockdown. Because [a) he's the health secretary, not the chancellor, or the PM, or anyone else whose ministry benefits from opening up, and/or b) he's of the zerocovidian-nutter wing, and/or c) he's a c*nt] OR d) he's disorganised and inefficient.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Cookie said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Presumably because he wanted to persuade the PM to extend lockdown. Because [a) he's the health secretary, not the chancellor, or the PM, or anyone else whose ministry benefits from opening up, and/or b) he's of the zerocovidian-nutter wing, and/or c) he's a c*nt] OR d) he's disorganised and inefficient.
    He's 1/5 a; 1/5b; 1/5c; 1/5d and 1/5 "fucking hopeless"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

That, and people cannot get outpatients appointments either. The system is seizing up.
    Is there any forward thinking/planning in any part of Government (whether it be Health, Education, Criminal Justice...) about how we actually get into a position where the country can get running reasonably normally again, to some extent regardless of the Coronavirus situation in the background?

It's bad enough that further lockdowns are still apparently being considered as a go to policy for Autumn/winter when really, whilst acceptable as an emergency measure in response to an unknown threat, it should really be possible by now to rule out ever returning to that state of affairs and finding another way.

Somewhere along the line the Government has to stop thinking about how everything has to be done to combat Covid, and actually begin to trade off Covid risks against the serious damage many Covid measures are doing to wider society that could take decades to unravel.
  • Options
    Calling @Leon - woman says she is dating an alien.

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    17m
    STAR EXCLUSIVE: Did the earthling move for you? #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

rcs1000 said:

Re Bercow, there are really three facets to his time as speaker - two of which were negative and one which was positive.

The negatives were:
    1. His personal bullying of underlings and then the use of his office to cover it up. (Albeit one should remember than Ms Patel is probably guilty of that too.)
    2. The way he allowed his personal political beliefs to affect his role as Speaker, particularly as regards Brexit.

The positive was:
    1. He stood up for backbench MPs against the Executive, which given that the Executive has steadily gained power relative to the Legislature is no bad thing.

In general, he's a failure. But I'd put him slightly higher up the ladder of Speakers than Martin - albeit in the same way I'd rather have Syphilis than Herpes.

Thing is, is there any real evidence that he stood up for the back benchers against the Executive except in areas where he was in agreement with the back benchers or basically hated the Executive?
    Yes. For instance, he let PMQs (and other Qs) overrun to accommodate backbenchers' questions. He cannot have known what would be asked.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Cookie said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Sadly whatever his motivation it has just given another example of poor, or out of date data being used to impose things on the populace. Just hope the cases carry on not accelerating away, and we may sneak out into freedom in July.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

If it hasn't been tried already, I would put the dog on a raw food diet, and give it plenty of exercise and controlled play time.

Raw food is more hassle but much better for dogs. I have seen it transform their behaviour, in particular reducing aggression and hyperactivity.

https://www.bemoredog.co.uk/diet-the-gut-and-behaviour-raw-vs-kibble/
  • Options

If dogs behave badly its usually the fault of the owner.

Not just usually but invariably, but sadly shooting the dog is an option, shooting the owner less so.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

No, we just need to put in the effort to investigate and shame those who do it, and punish those without shame. That's hard as its very easy for us to let it slide as those on 'our' side in any institution will encourage us to let it slide for them.

I don't think you can entirely eliminate, say, bullying, because the personalities we develop and conflicts that arise will at a certain point be just a part of human nature even in an ideal culture and environment (even an anarcho-syndicalist one) but hopefully the more we talk about it being unacceptable means we can still get closer to it actually being unaccepable (which is clearly not the case - public or private institution there are rules, but we all know much of the time they mean nothing).

At the moment bullying is like democracy - even a lot of the most awful people will say it is a bad thing and take steps to look like they adhere to the spirit of it, even when they blatantly don't.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

Is there any forward thinking/planning in any part of Government (whether it be Health, Education, Criminal Justice...) about how we actually get into a position where the country can get running reasonably normally again, to some extent regardless of the Coronavirus situation in the background?

It's bad enough that further lockdowns are still apparently being considered as a go to policy for Autumn/winter when really, whilst acceptable as an emergency measure in response to an unknown threat, it should really be possible by now to rule out ever returning to that state of affairs and finding another way.

Somewhere along the line the Government has to stop thinking about how everything has to be done to combat Covid, and actually begin to trade off Covid risks against the serious damage many Covid measures are doing to wider society that could take decades to unravel.
    Yep. But it seems to me that the government is basically now run by Hancock and Gove who are both lockdown fanatics. They have spent so long in the trench fighting covid they cannot see that it is time to move on and deal with the fallout from their policy. Perhaps they don't want to as they are enjoying it all too much.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/19/exclusive-matt-hancock-kept-boris-johnson-dark-covid-vaccines/

Matt Hancock failed to tell Boris Johnson about a major Public Health England (PHE) study showing the effectiveness of vaccines against the Indian or delta variant during a key meeting to decide whether to extend Covid restrictions, The Telegraph can disclose.

The Telegraph understands that the Health Secretary had known about the PHE data three days before the "quad" of four senior ministers, led by the Prime Minister, met last Sunday to decide whether to postpone the planned June 21 reopening until July 19.

However, multiple sources familiar with the meeting said it was not raised by Mr Hancock or discussed at all during the course of the talks.

The data was also not included in briefing papers given to Mr Johnson, Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor and Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, in advance of the meeting.

The bombshell disclosure raises the possibility that the quad could have opted to press ahead with lifting the restrictions on Monday if they had been aware of the study, which showed that both the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines were more effective at preventing hospitalisation with the variant than they were against previous strains.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Just been enjoying the final of BBC Cardiff Singer of the World on BBC4.

Unlike football matches, culture is not well supported by Government, so we had an internationally renowned competition in St David's Hall without an audience.

5 amazing young opera singers, with the prize awarded to Gihoon Kim from South Korea. What a wonderful singer.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I did say it was rather interesting timing that the updated vaccine efficiency numbers came out 3 days after the big decision and badically invalidated all the models (that were already using incorrect numbers).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Sorry defects is the wrong description "finally admits his allegiance" would be more on point
    Question - when Speakers give up the whip do they actually give up formal party membership too? As if that is the case then presumably Bercow defected from Independent, which he would have been since 2009 unless he rejoined the Tories after his term as Speaker ended.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

He is the Health Secretary. But he behaves as if he is the Covid Secretary. What about all the other conditions? What about the mental health crisis? The cancer crisis?

As Harvard's Kulldorff argues: "You cannot just focus on one disease like COVID, you have to look at public health as a whole. That has been the huge failure of our pandemic response."
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

If it hasn't been tried already, I would put the dog on a raw food diet, and give it plenty of exercise and controlled play time.

Raw food is more hassle but much better for dogs. I have seen it transform their behaviour, in particular reducing aggression and hyperactivity.

https://www.bemoredog.co.uk/diet-the-gut-and-behaviour-raw-vs-kibble/
    Perhaps Bercow would benefit from it.....
  • Options
    Pope Francis has put French statesman Robert Schuman, one of the founders of modern Europe, on the path to sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57534918

Do we need more saints? John Paul II was crazy when it came to saint making apparently, and there's tons and tons who have been put on the path but haven't had it confirmed yet.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

No, we just need to put in the effort to investigate and shame those who do it, and punish those without shame. That's hard as its very easy for us to let it slide as those on 'our' side in any institution will encourage us to let it slide for them.

I don't think you can entirely eliminate, say, bullying, because the personalities we develop and conflicts that arise will at a certain point be just a part of human nature even in an ideal culture and environment (even an anarcho-syndicalist one) but hopefully the more we talk about it being unacceptable means we can still get closer to it actually being unaccepable (which is clearly not the case - public or private institution there are rules, but we all know much of the time they mean nothing).

At the moment bullying is like democracy - even a lot of the most awful people will say it is a bad thing and take steps to look like they adhere to the spirit of it, even when they blatantly don't.
    Yes, but the problem is that the perpetrators are not punished. I cite Priti Patel.

The problem is not the rotten eggs, it is the rotten nature of hierarchical organisations which constantly generates new rotten eggs. Much better are horizontal interconnected nodes. Modern technology allows this in ways that just weren't possible a few decades ago.
  • Options

I did say it was rather interesting timing that the updated vaccine efficiency numbers came out 3 days after the big decision and badically invalidated all the models (that were already using incorrect numbers).

I imagine that should Johnson be following the detail of all this he will be f*cking furious that he has once again been bounced into a lockdown decision.
  • Options

I imagine that should Johnson be following the detail of all this he will be f*cking furious that he has once again been bounced into a lockdown decision.
    He should reverse the decision.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Luckily I imagine its all a bit complex and involved for him, otherwise I think his whatsapp messages might be a bit more fruity than f##king useless.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/19/exclusive-matt-hancock-kept-boris-johnson-dark-covid-vaccines/

Matt Hancock failed to tell Boris Johnson about a major Public Health England (PHE) study showing the effectiveness of vaccines against the Indian or delta variant during a key meeting to decide whether to extend Covid restrictions, The Telegraph can disclose.

The Telegraph understands that the Health Secretary had known about the PHE data three days before the "quad" of four senior ministers, led by the Prime Minister, met last Sunday to decide whether to postpone the planned June 21 reopening until July 19.

However, multiple sources familiar with the meeting said it was not raised by Mr Hancock or discussed at all during the course of the talks.

The data was also not included in briefing papers given to Mr Johnson, Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor and Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, in advance of the meeting.

The bombshell disclosure raises the possibility that the quad could have opted to press ahead with lifting the restrictions on Monday if they had been aware of the study, which showed that both the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines were more effective at preventing hospitalisation with the variant than they were against previous strains.

And this news comes only days after Cummings accused him of lying during the crisis.

Johnson should sack him over this.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

Yes, but the problem is that the perpetrators are not punished. I cite Priti Patel.

The problem is not the rotten eggs, it is the rotten nature of hierarchical organisations which constantly generates new rotten eggs. Much better are horizontal interconnected nodes. Modern technology allows this in ways that just weren't possible a few decades against.
    That's why I said we need to put in effort. Left to themselves institutions will always protect themselves and the people therein, so its a mostly futile grind to make enough societal shame that enough people around those institutions can enforce the right thing. It'll never be perfect, and its a long way off perfect right now.

I don't even know what your second paragraph is saying. I believe modern technology can do a lot of things, but stopping people forming hierarchies, even unofficial ones, seems beyond it to me.
  • Options

He does have the two week review date. I suggest he calls in all the data himself and not allow it to be filtered through Hancock.
  • Options

They knew about them in advance. They knew that they would have a big impact on the range of projections and central assumptions in the models. They just hadn't formally plugged them in to officially revise the numbers.

But nevertheless thought there was nothing wrong with publishing the existing modelling/graphs as background to the June 21st decision.

At the Battle of the Somme the initial bombardment of the German lines used the wrong type of shells, and was known to have likely been largely ineffective in its aims, in advance of the formal order to go over the top being given. But the generals were so committed to the plan that they went ahead anyway.

Apologies for that little non-seqitur/diversion...

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Did it cross the mind of the PM to ask?
    Or to inform himself? Or prepare for the meeting?
  • Options

moonshine said:

And this news comes only days after Cummings accused him of lying during the crisis.

I’d like to see Matt Hancock doing porridge
  • Options

The problem is we just know that Johnson wont have asked the tricky, probing questions. He would have just quickly breezed through the meeting blustering around and making jokes.

Imagine Thatcher chairing this covid Quad of ministers.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Did it cross the mind of the PM to ask?
    Or to inform himself? Or prepare for the meeting?
    Well quite. Ministers were wibbling on about acting on the very latest data which was changing all the time. Johnson would surely have been aware of the PHE study.

But then accepted modelling that only went up to June 9th.
  • Options
    OGH has promoted Hoyle's rebuke from almost unprecedented to unprecedented in the space of 4 days or thereabouts. Bercow as a powerful speaker is neither here nor there - lacks a platform for starters, especially in the days of covid when platforms are hard to come by - but he is very dangerous as an advisor to Starmer. Could probably give him the odd tip about what makes a successful pmq for starters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

The problem is not the rotten eggs, it is the rotten nature of hierarchical organisations which constantly generates new rotten eggs. Much better are horizontal interconnected nodes. Modern technology allows this in ways that just weren't possible a few decades against.
    That's why I said we need to put in effort. Left to themselves institutions will always protect themselves and the people therein, so its a mostly futile grind to make enough societal shame that enough people around those institutions can enforce the right thing. It'll never be perfect, and its a long way off perfect right now.

I don't even know what your second paragraph is saying. I believe modern technology can do a lot of things, but stopping people forming hierarchies, even unofficial ones, seems beyond it to me.
    There is quite a lot of interest in non-heirarchical management in the literature. It isn't entirely new.

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/can-company-succeed-without-hierarchy

• Options

He does have the two week review date. I suggest he calls in all the data himself and not allow it to be filtered through Hancock.
    I think there's zero chance of them bringing forward the July date. They will say that whatever the detail available on June 14th there were still a large range of possibilities and it was right to be cautious. And that if the vaccines were more effective than thought then that makes an even greater case for delay to allow everyone time to be vaccinated.

They will reason that this is a far lesser evil than precipitously opening up having admitted they made a mistake only to potentially see something go wrong with the figures shortly afterwards.
  • Options

The problem is we just know that Johnson wont have asked the tricky, probing questions. He would have just quickly breezed through the meeting blustering around and making jokes.

Imagine Thatcher chairing this covid Quad of ministers.
    Johnson was too busy nursing his G7 photoshoot hangover, which was all his goldfish like memory could cope with.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,294

Shocked to hear Bercow has joined the labour party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/19/john-bercow-defects-to-labour-with-withering-attack-on-johnson

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”
    And I want my place in the House of Lords and Keir will give me that
    How very spiteful.

People's political views change. Maybe Brecow's story is extreme, but it's not unique.
    Parties also change. The Conservatives of 2021 aren't the Conservatives of even 2017, let alone 2010.
    If Brecow is of the view that Johnson is a wrongun and that joining Labour is the best way to oppose that, best of luck to him.

It's showing a damn sight more integrity than those who knew Johnson shouldn't be let near the levers of power, but acquiesced in his victory and now sing his praises.
    If we are in the middle of a major political realignment, the remarkable thing is that more politicians haven’t jumped sides. It doesn’t make any sense that only voters are reassessing where they stand.

Yet defections were much more common in the last century than now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

There is quite a lot of interest in non-heirarchical management in the literature. It isn't entirely new.

It'd be nice if it worked, I know some companies with something (officially) along those lines. But I did a qualification once and one thing that comes up over and over again when reading stuff around management is that there are tons and tons of theories, some very influential, but the vast majority of theories don't have much actual evidence they work, so my natural position is to be skeptical of people selling new ways of thinking - which are usually rehashed old ways, something simple expressed in a complicated way or nonsense.

Maybe this would be one idea in a hundred which actually is innovative and effective, that'd be cool.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think there's zero chance of them bringing forward the July date. They will say that whatever the detail available on June 14th there were still a large range of possibilities and it was right to be cautious. And that if the vaccines were more effective than thought then that makes an even greater case for delay to allow everyone time to be vaccinated.

They will reason that this is a far lesser evil than precipitously opening up having admitted they made a mistake only to potentially see something go wrong with the figures shortly afterwards.
    True enough. For what it's worth, I don't think they'll fully unlock in July either.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,294
    Today’s football matches have been way more enjoyable than yesterday’s miserable spectacle
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I would say its unlikely but non-zero.

If it looks like hospitalisations etc have peaked or are nowhere near the graph in a fortnight's time they will be able to say that thanks to the extra data they're now confident.

But inertia plays now to letting the four weeks play out in full, regrettably.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/19/john-bercow-defects-to-labour-with-withering-attack-on-johnson

“I am motivated by support for equality, social justice and internationalism. That is the Labour brand,” he said. “The conclusion I have reached is that this government needs to be replaced. The reality is that the Labour party is the only vehicle that can achieve that objective. There is no other credible option.”
    How very spiteful.

People's political views change. Maybe Brecow's story is extreme, but it's not unique.
    Parties also change. The Conservatives of 2021 aren't the Conservatives of even 2017, let alone 2010.
    If Brecow is of the view that Johnson is a wrongun and that joining Labour is the best way to oppose that, best of luck to him.

It's showing a damn sight more integrity than those who knew Johnson shouldn't be let near the levers of power, but acquiesced in his victory and now sing his praises.
    If we are in the middle of a major political realignment, the remarkable thing is that more politicians haven’t jumped sides. It doesn’t make any sense that only voters are reassessing where they stand.

It was, frankly, astonishing, how well the party's held up particularly during the Brexit crisis and given how parties have changed over the years.

Sadly, those who eventually did bravely leave or were kicked out were not rewarded for it, and so the grip of the parties even when people don't really fit anymore is stronger than ever. The more ridiculous it gets the more people will talk about the need to be 'big tent' to justify it.

Except at local level.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Today’s football matches have been way more enjoyable than yesterday’s miserable spectacle

And we've now got no fecking idea which teams we need to be trying to manipulate results to avoid! ;)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

How very spiteful.

Is that true? There were a lot of defections in 2017-19.

That they didn't last past the 2019 election is neither here nor there.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    IanB2 said:

I think there's been an overreaction to the England v Scotland game. In hindsight it's perhaps not too surprising it was a draw. Though they'd never admit it, England would have taken that before the game as it almost certainly means they're through to the next round. And for Scotland it means they have a chance. Beat Croatia at home on Tuesday and they will probably be through. I think Scotland v Croatia will be well worth watching.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

It'd be nice if it worked, I know some companies with something (officially) along those lines. But I did a qualification once and one thing that comes up over and over again when reading stuff around management is that there are tons and tons of theories, some very influential, but the vast majority of theories don't have much actual evidence they work, so my natural position is to be skeptical of people selling new ways of thinking - which are usually rehashed old ways, something simple expressed in a complicated way or nonsense.

Maybe this would be one idea in a hundred which actually is innovative and effective, that'd be cool.
    Certainly there is more than a little bullshit about Management and Business Studies!

In practice though, even in hierarchical organisations, people work in non hierarchical ways, because they know that things get done better that way. It is about having a relationship with those who can get things done. A simple example is me emailing a medical physics technician to discuss what investigations would clarify my provisional diagnosis of a patient. It is about allowing task specific teams to form and dissolve in an organic way.

In the NHS, the biggest obstacles to getting things done are egotistical managers and empire builders. Non-heirarchical working bypasses them.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    Starmer accepted him?
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

alex_ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

Exactly.

GP surgeries are the cause of oversubscribed A&E's.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    I've met Bercow. Twice. He even came to speak at my university once.

He's perfectly pleasant for a few minutes, or even a couple of hours, to a constituent or humble activist. And that's because he doesn't feel his status is under question.

It's quite another matter if you have to work with him or for him.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Bercow, chuckle.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,758
    Andy Burnham on Nipoleon’s travel ban:

So who’s going to enforce it then? Are @policescotland being sent to Manchester?
    If they are, I think they do need our consent.

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1406276010501419012?s=20
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

Certainly there is more than a little bullshit about Management and Business Studies!

In practice though, even in hierarchical organisations, people work in non hierarchical ways, because they know that things get done better that way. It is about having a relationship with those who can get things done. A simple example is me emailing a medical physics technician to discuss what investigations would clarify my provisional diagnosis of a patient. It is about allowing task specific teams to form and dissolve in an organic way.

In the NHS, the biggest obstacles to getting things done are egotistical managers and empire builders. Non-heirarchical working bypasses them.
    One of the issues you will find is that outside the NHS (and large chunks of government), the world has changed in this way already. Banks fired floors of people to flatten the hierarchies, for example.

The number of people between the nurses and the minister is well into double digits - which is insane by modern standards.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Any basis on which this.might be possible? The magnitude of the misery this one man has caused is immense. Not sure if there's any basis for criminal action though. A civil case, possibly - if someone's lies have led to the country being locked down that's pretty big news.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Any basis on which this.might be possible? The magnitude of the misery this one man has caused is immense. Not sure if there's any basis for criminal action though. A civil case, possibly - if someone's lies have led to the country being locked down that's pretty big news.
    I dunno, ppe contracts might be enough
  • Options
    Minister are this week expected to announce plans to privatise Channel 4 – after months of tensions between No 10 and executives at the television station over its struggling finances and allegedly ‘woke’ agenda.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has concluded that the channel does not have a viable future unless an ‘alternative ownership model’ is explored.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9704195/Ministers-set-reveal-plans-privatise-woke-struggling-Channel-4.html
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

alex_ said:

If it looks like hospitalisations etc have peaked or are nowhere near the graph in a fortnight's time they will be able to say that thanks to the extra data they're now confident.

I don't think hospitalisations have peaked....

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,658
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Bercow was a Royal pain in the arse as Speaker. I really don’t give 2 hoots what he is doing now. A nasty opinionated little man with no feeling for the responsibility of his office.

Sean_F said:

Bercow was shat from the very anus of the devil.

Lots of ‘maybes.’
    Considering the remarkably wide choice of disreputable politicians available today, the concentrated venom directed at Bercow is notable.

And ‘opinionated’ is a very strange epithet to throw at a politician you’re trying to mark as distinct from the general herd in any way.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Keir Starmer’s Labour should Chuck out all the left wingers and merge with the Lib Dems
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited June 2021
    LOL! Weirdo Bercow was a leftie Labour supporter all along?

Who knew! Who knew!

The Speaker who tried to stop Brexit joins up with the Labour leader who tried to stop Brexit.

Should be worth an extra 2% to the Tories in the Midlands and the north... ;)
  • Options

alex_ said:

I don't think hospitalisations have peaked....

Is there a lag in hospitalisation figures? If so, I agree with you. If not, that could conceivably look peaky.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Whether you agree with the policy or not, do you really want a major decision affecting thousands of lives to be taken by Boris Johnson on his own? That's...brave.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    justin124 said:

Slade mentioned that there were 8 local elections last week. He said one was a LibDem hold by 6 votes. How did the others go?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Whether you agree with the policy or not, do you really want a major decision affecting thousands of lives to be taken by Boris Johnson on his own? That's...brave.
    No, but I'd like him to be the one to take a decision that affects millions...
  • Options
    Bercow arguably joined Labour in spirit about 15 years ago.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Slade mentioned that there were 8 local elections last week. He said one was a LibDem hold by 6 votes. How did the others go?
    The details are here:

https://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/15305/local-council-elections-17th-june
This discussion has been closed.