Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

John Bercow – denied a peerage by BoJo on his retirement – now joins Labour – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited June 2021 in General
imageJohn Bercow – denied a peerage by BoJo on his retirement – now joins Labour – politicalbetting.com

Generally speaking Speakers do not take part in the political debate once they have retired. Generally speaking, as well they are elevated to the House of Lords on their retirement but that didn’t happen with BoJoj who over-ruled this long-standing precedent.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First.
  • Options
    A worm
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    lol
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,582

He joined Labour many years ago.

As for attack dog for Labour....the Red Wall aren't going to be impressed are they Mike...Mr Stop Brexit as many of them see him giving it large... will just remind all those Brexit voters that between him and Starmer weren't on their side (or that of democracy).

He isn't a powerful speakers, he comes across as arrogant and pompous.

True, but maybe the red wall is already lost. I’ve no idea whether Bercow will appeal in the blue wall but it’s true Labour do lack an attack dog.

• Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    I really don't think John Bercow who is a wdely discredited figure has the ability to influence anybody.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,340
    It can give the Tories someone to really loathe. Bercow is a nasty piece of work. How much dirt is there on him ?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TimS said:

As for attack dog for Labour....the Red Wall aren't going to be impressed are they Mike...Mr Stop Brexit as many of them see him giving it large... will just remind all those Brexit voters that between him and Starmer weren't on their side (or that of democracy).

True, but maybe the red wall is already lost. I’ve no idea whether Bercow will appeal in the blue wall but it’s true Labour do lack an attack dog.

Chihuahuas can be quite aggressive yappy dogs, but they rarely do much damage.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    The Tories on here seem quite rattled by Bercow's defection.
    Not a massive fan of him, but perhaps another sign the 'Blue Wall' in the South of England is not as firm as it once was.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Just reminds people of how petty Johnson can be.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Is there any speculation on whether either mRna or Azn give any sort of protection against common cold coronaviruses? That would be rad given the high uptake in the UK.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    valleyboy said:

Not a massive fan of him, but perhaps another sign the 'Blue Wall' in the South of England is not as firm as it once was.

I don't think Bercow is remotely representative of the Blue Wall, or that he cares about them, or anyone but himself.

There are some of signs of the Blue Wall being in bad repair, this isn't one of them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    valleyboy said:

Yes, the last 48 hours on PB have shown how rattled they are.

A good base to build on. It isn't just the Home Counties that are unhappy about the arrogance of Central government.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    He should have joined Change UK
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Is there any speculation on whether either mRna or Azn give any sort of protection against common cold coronaviruses? That would be rad given the high uptake in the UK.

No idea, but intuitively unless the common cold coronaviruses has the same spike protein that the immunity is generated against, I don't see why it would.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    FPT @isam looking for old post. Is this it?
    isam said:

isam • Posts: 15,402
    December 2014

I see no reason why in the near future, when petty , pretend differnces are put to one side, there wont be a realignment of the parties

Left leaning Libdem, Progressive Labour, Greens, and SNP
    Blairite Labour/Cameroons/Orange Bookers
    Old Labour/Right Leaning Tories/UKIP

Found with the assistance of Google, at https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/2967/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-john-mcdonnell-holds-the-key-to-the-success-of-project-corb/p3
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Just when you thought things couldn't get worse for Starmer..
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

valleyboy said:

I am not a Tory and would probably vote for Starmer before I would vote for Johnson. But Bercow is a complete snake who deserves to be consigned to the dustbin of history - or better still the sewer, flushed away like the piece of excrement he is.
    Hmmm...I’ll put you down as a ‘maybe,’ Richard.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Hoyle os a much better speaker...see how he handled the international aid amendment and also the government not making announcements first in parliament...he quietly but firmly talked to.those involved and found a way forward. No showboating.

Otoh Speaker Hoyle has not found a way to compel Boris to stop fibbing. The weakness of our democracy is that if Right Honourable Members do not behave honourably, there's not really a great deal to be done besides huffing and puffing.

ETA same as for dishonourable Speakers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MattW said:

AIUI the main issue with Bercow - leaving aside his manipulation of Parliament or not as there are different views on that - is that he used his unique position as Speaker to prevent a proper investigation into allegations of bullying against him by a number of his staff.

Indeed, his response was publicly to abuse those individuals in the media.

That is way more important than anything to do with Johnson's machinations.

Where are we on this? Has due process been completed?

If an investigation has happened and JB has been found to have done nothing, then I would (through gritted teeth :smile:) support a peerage for him. If not, the question of a peerage cannot arise until the allegations are properly investigated.

If he is found to have bullied his staff, then clearly a peerage would be absurd.

In the current climate and especially for the Labour Party who love to push the narrative of fairness and niceness, not sure using bully Bercow front and centre is a wise move.
  • Options

Hoyle os a much better speaker...see how he handled the international aid amendment and also the government not making announcements first in parliament...he quietly but firmly talked to.those involved and found a way forward. No showboating.

Otoh Speaker Hoyle has not found a way to compel Boris to stop fibbing.
    Nobody has ever found a way to stop him fibbing. That’s an unfairly high bar. It would be like asking Michie to say something intelligent.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    valleyboy said:

They hate Bercow, is that necessarily the same as being rattled? I find that kind of thing along the lines of 'Party X is attacking person Y - they must fear Y'. It could be true (and the Tories have suffered the first setback for awhile this week), but it might be that when X attacks Y it is because they don't like Y, not that they fear or are rattled by Y.

I think Bercow is an arsehole who made some blatantly partisan decisions for poor reasons (ie ones that were only reasonably explained by his own political wishes), but he did also stand up for parliament against government which is a good thing.

I think Speakers generally getting a peerage was a reasonable convention, but I wonder if it will go the way of ex PMs being elevated to the Lords, as to give Hoyle one when he stands down would, though more understandable, make it clear that if you are a Speaker disliked by government you won't get one, rather than it just no longer being the norm.

Interestingly Lord Sumption, a favourite of some, is quite positive about Bercow in his latest book.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Maybe he was inspired by Nadia Whittome - the Labour MP who regards debate as oppressive.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Shocked I tell you
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

moonshine said:

No idea, but intuitively unless the common cold coronaviruses has the same spike protein that the immunity is generated against, I don't see why it would.
    There is some research going on into a route to a generic coronavirus vaccine: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/05/210527204230.htm
  • Options
    er than the policieleft andothers who.loathe Boris will
  • Options
    One reason I disliked Bercow was his attempt to appoint someone unsuitable to the role of Clerk, and his justification was that he had wanted to split the parts of the role but had not been able to. Which was a reasonable aim, but having not been able to split the roles trying to appoint someone with no experience of one major part of the role was not an adult reaction, it was petulant.
  • Options
    MattW said:

AIUI the main issue with Bercow - leaving aside his manipulation of Parliament or not as there are different views on that - is that he used his unique position as Speaker to prevent a proper investigation into allegations of bullying against him by a number of his staff.

Indeed, his response was publicly to abuse those individuals in the media.

That is way more important than anything to do with Johnson's machinations.

Where are we on this? Has due process been completed?

If an investigation has happened and JB has been found to have done nothing, then I would support a peerage for him. If not, the question of a peerage cannot arise until the allegations are properly investigated.

If he is found to have bullied his staff, then clearly a peerage would be absurd.

Fair point. I’d forgotten about that.

Johnson has though, ensured the ennoblement of almost as many questionable people in 18 months as Harold Wilson did in a dozen years.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

valleyboy said:

A good base to build on. It isn't just the Home Counties that are unhappy about the arrogance of Central government.
    Your hatred of the tories has a tendency to blind you to anything else.

Lets be clear

Bercow is vile
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

FPT @isam looking for old post. Is this it?

isam said:

isam • Posts: 15,402
    December 2014

I see no reason why in the near future, when petty , pretend differnces are put to one side, there wont be a realignment of the parties

Left leaning Libdem, Progressive Labour, Greens, and SNP
    Blairite Labour/Cameroons/Orange Bookers
    Old Labour/Right Leaning Tories/UKIP

Found with the assistance of Google, at https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/2967/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-john-mcdonnell-holds-the-key-to-the-success-of-project-corb/p3
    Wow thanks! Yes that's it. I think it stands up quite well, seven years later.

I must have meant "Loony left" by "progressive Labour", at least I hope I did. If asked now I would have thought Progressive/Blairites were the same
  • Options
    kle4 said:

valleyboy said:

They hate Bercow, is that necessarily the same as being rattled? I find that kind of thing along the lines of 'Party X is attacking person Y - they must fear Y'. It could be true (and the Tories have suffered the first setback for awhile this week), but it might be that when X attacks Y it is because they don't like Y, not that they fear or are rattled by Y.

I think Bercow is an arsehole who made some blatantly partisan decisions for poor reasons (ie ones that were only reasonably explained by his own political wishes), but he did also stand up for parliament against government which is a good thing.

I think Speakers generally getting a peerage was a reasonable convention, but I wonder if it will go the way of ex PMs being elevated to the Lords, as to give Hoyle one when he stands down would, though more understandable, make it clear that if you are a Speaker disliked by government you won't get one, rather than it just no longer being the norm.

Interestingly Lord Sumption, a favourite of some, is quite positive about Bercow in his latest book.
    iirc it was David Cameron's government that fell out with Bercow because he favoured backbenchers (including the awkward squad on Tory benches) holding the executive to account.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

One of the few people who is more discredited than Johnson or Cummings. The worst Speaker of my lifetime who has been driven by self aggrandisement and arrogance. I genuinely pity the Labour Party.

The worst speaker of your lifetime was Michael Martin. No contest.
  • Options

One of the few people who is more discredited than Johnson or Cummings. The worst Speaker of my lifetime who has been driven by self aggrandisement and arrogance. I genuinely pity the Labour Party.

As much as I think Bercow was bad, I agree that Martin was worse.
  • Options
    LOL

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1406324733457702912

We've all had our differences over Brexit, the election, Covid, the EU, Trump...

Finally, the one thing that unites us all comes along.

Bercow. Let us all hate TOGETHER.
  • Options

Nope. Martin was terrible, Bercow was worse. By a very long way.
    Only on PB could we have a discussion about which speaker was more incompetent.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The thing about the Bercow defection and his criticisms is it is a bit like 'discovering' through a memoir that Sir Alan Duncan has a very low opinion of Boris. Everyone who knows who Bercow is knows he dislikes Boris, so the only new thing is the defection, which is certainly notable, but its blunted for a couple of reasons.

One, some will basically go 'I thought he had probably already joined Labour'. Two, others might suggest it is motivated by pettiness at not having been given a Peerage (whether or not one feels that decision was petty of Boris or justified). Three, that Bercow is a controversial figure and not a bipartisanly respected ex Speaker, means the gain of 'major figure defects' is more limited.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dan has a view

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1406325730615730182

No Speaker in modern times has done more to tarnish their office than John Bercow.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,417

Just reminds people of how petty Johnson can be.

The thing is that, in lots of situations, being petty and vindictive strengthens your position. You have to be really sure of yourself before crossing people like that, because you know that once you cross someone petty and vindictive, you're dead to them. As we've seen in Johnson's choice of cabinet, his Autumn 2019 purge and his reshuffles. Loyalty is all.

But it only works while the Great Leader is winning and set to continue winning. Once the post-Johnson era becomes even a faint glow on the horizon, his ability to bribe and threaten people into line weakens. The same is true for all leaders, of course, which is why PMs tend to avoid talking about their retirement. It's also why Dom C made sure to mention Johnson's departure plans in his latest screed.

But BoJo has taken it up to 11. As with many Johnson innovations, it's not so much the fact of what he does, but the degree and the lack of shame. And it will work brilliantly for a while, like driving round corners 5 mph faster than the rest does. And then, at some point, it will stop working horribly. It's the when that is unpredictable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Arguably Bercow was worse in that he was acting beyond his powers, but to me it's like the prorogation stuff. If the HoC doesn't like it, they can do something about it.

The illegal searching of Damian Green's office was utterly disgraceful. It happened on Martin's watch and he should have gone for it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    This doesn't really make any difference to anyone. If anything Labour should have told him to do one as he makes it all about himself rather than the party.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

kle4 said:

valleyboy said:

iirc it was David Cameron's government that fell out with Bercow because he favoured backbenchers (including the awkward squad on Tory benches) holding the executive to account.
    A good Speaker is bound to clash with the government on occasion due to conflicting desires and duties, though if both are sensible it won't destroy the relationship between them. The Bercow relationship broke down in a big way, and managing the 2017-19 parliament was probably near impossible for any Speaker, let alone one who had seen the relationship and respect break down already.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,489
    ydoethur said:

Unfortunately I can't find the B Beau D'Or "Gotta pick a pocket or two" video of Mr Martin in the Chamber at expenses time :-( .
  • Options
    I'd say if only he could have been like the great Speaker Lenthall, but I just recently discovered he turncoated and gave evidence during the Restoration about words spoken in parliament by an MP (so much for neither ears to hear or eyes to see), which was a bummer.
  • Options

Michael Martin at least had the decency to resign when it became clear he'd lost the support of a chunk of the House.

Bercow clunk on for as long as he could, doing ever more damage, like a barnacle.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

valleyboy said:

Lets be clear

Bercow is vile
    I haven't commented on Bercow.

I have never liked him, but the problem is mostly in the archaic position of the speaker, and of the antiquated ruritarian rules that Parliament works to.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598
    An interesting Venn Diagram:

PBers triggered by Bercow
    PBers triggered by the BBC
    PBers triggered by Independent SAGE

• Options

You could put me down for the third one. First two - bah.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223
    Justice done. Was never a penalty.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

valleyboy said:

Lets be clear

Bercow is vile
    I haven't commented on Bercow.

I have never liked him, but the problem is mostly in the archaic position of the speaker, and of the antiquated ruritarian rules that Parliament works to.
    I'm confused, deliberative assemblies need presiding officers of some kind, so what about the specifics of the Speaker position do you think is an archaic problem?

And it is certainly true that some of the rules of parliament will be antiquated and its workings improved, but I must say that people do tend to ascribe too much to procedure when the actual problems lay elsewhere (eg balance of powers, political culture).

Heck, some are convinced that we'd have more engagement with politics if some very minor, trivial, ceremonial orpresentational aspects were altered, which strikes me as rather optimistic. Rules and procedure are far less of an issue than people generally think.
  • Options
    Who will get bitten first ? The attack dog or the hounds?. Bercow better have a clean back story.....
  • Options
    Bercow was a Royal pain in the arse as Speaker. I really don’t give 2 hoots what he is doing now. A nasty opinionated little man with no feeling for the responsibility of his office.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    Yale on covid seasonality:

"They found that warmer temperatures (above 20° Celsius), increased humidity, and higher levels of UV radiation were moderately associated with a lower reproductive number (a measurement of how many new infections are caused by a single infected person in a fully susceptible population), meaning that these factors were likewise associated with decreased person-to-person transmission. Of the three factors, absolute humidity played the greatest role."

"In total, Chen and the members of his research team determined 17.5% of the virus’ reproductive number was attributable to meteorological factors."

https://news.yale.edu/2021/06/14/heat-humidity-and-uv-rays-linked-covid-19-spread-ysph-finds
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's close to being a red card in my opinion, what are you watching?!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bercow was a Royal pain in the arse as Speaker. I really don’t give 2 hoots what he is doing now. A nasty opinionated little man with no feeling for the responsibility of his office.

Sean_F said:

Bercow was shat from the very anus of the devil.

Lots of ‘maybes.’
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Edit: I will expand. Martin was a poor Speaker in many ways but he was not personally a bully nor was he arrogant and self serving. Martin was a poor Speaker but, from what I can see, a reasonable human being. Bercow sits in the permanently peed-in section of the human gene pool. He failed not just as a Speaker but as an sentient creature.
    Since we are doing detailed diagnosis - my take on Martin is that he failed to run the place well, particularly allowing expenses receipt to be shredded whilst there was a Court Action ongoing about an FOI request for them. That happened to Tony Blair's receipts, but also there was something about everything from iirc 2001-2004 information (the disk was 2005-2008).

But also in failing to detect that it was a serious issue - remember when the redacted version was issued and entire pages were blacked out apart from the number at the bottom.

I can't comment on Martin's personality - but I perhaps agree with RT on that.
  • Options
    Whilst a lot of people dislike John Bercow he is a powerful figure and, regardless of one's view, it was typically pea-minded of Boris Johnson to block his peerage.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955

TimS said:

I wish our one was unable to do damage. She's a compulsive ankle biter, and can easily result people requiring a stitch or two.

But if we take her back to the shelter, she'll be put down, so we're stuck with her for another 15 or so years.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Bercow was shat from the very anus of the devil.

That's very rude to the devil's faeces.
  • Options
    Bottom line, Bercow is a pretty unlikable man by most accounts. It will technically be true that that doesn't undermine criticisms he makes, but it matters. Dom is unlikable to many too, but he has personal experience of Boris which lends his words more interest.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    Bercow was a terrible speaker who demeaned the office.

And he was a much better speaker than BoZo is PM
  • Options
    OysterOctopusOysterOctopus Posts: 29
    edited June 2021
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately I can't find the B Beau D'Or "Gotta pick a pocket or two" video of Mr Martin in the Chamber at expenses time :-( .
    This one? https://youtu.be/1eCmT-1FTFw

Edit, not the right one but I remember it. Guido posted it at the time of the expenses scandal

Edit 2: found it https://youtu.be/6Q6I6_WK2d8
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Spain v Poland. Ball was gone. Accidentally stood on his foot which was put down after the ball was gone. Not a foul. Certainly not a penalty.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is actually an important comment, since the temptation will be for people who dislike Boris to overdo the Bercow love in in response.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

I wish our one was unable to do damage. She's a compulsive ankle biter, and can easily result people requiring a stitch or two.

But if we take her back to the shelter, she'll be put down, so we're stuck with her for another 15 or so years.
    Get her to play in the traffic.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Whilst a lot of people dislike John Bercow he is a powerful figure and, regardless of one's view, it was typically pea-minded of Boris Johnson to block his peerage.

He has no power whatsoever.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

He has all the power and influence he deserves. So, yes.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

There's maybe material for a fable here.
  • Options
    Toms said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

There's maybe material for a fable here.
    Or the beginning of a coat.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

Spain v Poland. Ball was gone. Accidentally stood on his foot which was put down after the ball was gone. Not a foul. Certainly not a penalty.
    BiB - so long as the ball is in play, it has nothing to do with whether it was a foul or not.
  • Options
    Re Bercow, there are really three facets to his time as speaker - two of which were negative and one which was positive.

The negatives were:
    1. His personal bullying of underlings and then the use of his office to cover it up. (Albeit one should remember than Ms Patel is probably guilty of that too.)
    2. The way he allowed his personal political beliefs to affect his role as Speaker, particularly as regards Brexit.

The positive was:
    1. He stood up for backbench MPs against the Executive, which given that the Executive has steadily gained power relative to the Legislature is no bad thing.

In general, he's a failure. But I'd put him slightly higher up the ladder of Speakers than Martin - albeit in the same way I'd rather have Syphilis than Herpes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

moonshine said:

He has all the power and influence he deserves. So, yes.
    He did have power, but hasn’t now.

A problem which faces many ‘powerful’ people who retire.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Scott_xP said:

Reading the first sentence made me 100% sure what the second would be!!!
  • Options

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. It was petty - the bully allegations, reprehensible though they would be if true, which is easy to believe - was clearly a pretext since if they'd wanted him to have the peerage it'd have happeend regardless by now, perhaps after a delay. But was it pea brained?

Because the thing is, I don't see how one can say he is a powerful figure - are ex-Speakers powerful people generally? No. Their contributions are rare and that in itself may give it some weight. So what about Bercow personally makes him a powerful figure? Who does he have influence with? What power will come from his contributions in politics?

• Options

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

This one? https://youtu.be/1eCmT-1FTFw

Edit, not the right one but I remember it. Guido posted it at the time of the expenses scandal

Edit 2: found it https://youtu.be/6Q6I6_WK2d8
    Found it - excellent. Great to find the account again.

I meant the other one, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6I6_WK2d8

This is harder edged, but very good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzIwlcAtqpc
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,100

Isn't that just a circle?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

We've all had our differences over Brexit, the election, Covid, the EU, Trump...

Count me out.

I have met both John Bercow and Boris Johnson and the former was much politer then the latter - and really very charming. It surprised me because it did not fit with the public image. My husband has worked with him professionally - in relation to a planning matter in his constituency - and was impressed by his hard work and attention to detail. Husband is rarely impressed by anyone, let alone politicians, so I place a great deal of value on his opinion. He does not give praise easily.

Perhaps there is more to Bercow than the rather one-sided view many on here seem to have?

On topic, I am not sure it will make a great deal of difference to Labour.
    I'm sure there is more to Bercow, and people have mentioned his standing up for Parliament against the executive as a positive thing, but it seems implausible to ascribe the many many reports of his arrogance and poor behaviour solely to political opponents of his, therefore I think it would be an overreaction to entirely dismiss those very numerous accounts on the basis of personal positive experience.

Politics is a brutal business, and when enemies are made a lot of shit gets thrown at people - but the amount of shit thrown at Bercow, and its breadth, is not normal political mucking about either. It's clearly not imaginary.

There are also examples of his poor Speakership which are unrelated to politics, as in the Clerk example I gave for instance. And criticism of him departing from procedure or convention with just cause (other than for political wishes) is a reasonable critique as well.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Floater said:
    There was certainly some very dodgy stuff going on around June 14th. The Imperial study used in part to justify the extension ran to 9th June and yet ministers were on TV claiming that "decision was not taken, new data coming in and being analysed all the time".

And we now know that key vaccine success info which was known would dramatically improve the outlook of the Imperial model was known about (just hadn't apparently plugged into the model) so it was known that the SAGE modelling released to accompany the decision was inaccurately pessimistic in its range of likely projections.

And of course the revised vaccine data was plugged into the model a few days later and Imperial officially downgraded their forecasts....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mine is a crossbreed with a Jack Russell.

Very, very yappy dog - she'll start yapping long before the Amazon driver or postman reaches the front door, but she's completely harmless.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    In relation to the Dame Laura Cox report (autumn 2018), it is worth noting three things:-

1. That report was into allegations of bullying and harassment by House of Commons staff and MPs not just Bercow.
    2. Very few of her recommendations have been implemented and this is because MPs themselves have refused to take the steps she recommended.
    3. A new Speaker could certainly do more to deal with the issues raised and implement her recommendations. If little or nothing has been done since November 2019, that is down to the new Speaker, one Lindsay Hoyle.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,561
    Just watched a replay of the Polish goal, and it looked like the goalscorer pushed one of the Spanish defenders out of the way just before he jumped to head the goal in. Isn't that a foul?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,100
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

I have met both John Bercow and Boris Johnson and the former was much politer then the latter - and really very charming. It surprised me because it did not fit with the public image. My husband has worked with him professionally - in relation to a planning matter in his constituency - and was impressed by his hard work and attention to detail. Husband is rarely impressed by anyone, let alone politicians, so I place a great deal of value on his opinion. He does not give praise easily.

Perhaps there is more to Bercow than the rather one-sided view many on here seem to have?

I'm sure there is more to Bercow, and people have mentioned his standing up for Parliament against the executive as a positive thing, but it seems implausible to ascribe the many many reports of his arrogance and poor behaviour solely to political opponents of his, therefore I think it would be an overreaction to entirely dismiss those very numerous accounts on the basis of personal positive experience.

Politics is a brutal business, and when enemies are made a lot of shit gets thrown at people - but the amount of shit thrown at Bercow, and its breadth, is not normal political mucking about either. It's clearly not imaginary.

There are also examples of his poor Speakership which are unrelated to politics, as in the Clerk example I gave for instance. And criticism of him departing from procedure or convention with just cause (other than for political wishes) is a reasonable critique as well.
    I think there's something magnificent about Bercow's pomposity. And he seems to irritate the hell out of all the right people.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I live in the Sewell ward of Norwich, where we had two deferred elections on Thursday following the death of the Tory candidate after close of nominations prior to the elections scheduled for 6th May. The boundaries were identical - yet Labour held on to the County Council seat by circa 130 votes whilst losing the City Council seat to the Greens by circa 160. The Greens certainly mounted a strong campaign - delivering 6 leaflets compared with 4 from Labour and no literature at all from the Tories and LDs. I have now been told that Natalie Bennett - the former Green Party leader - was active here on Polling Day - including acting as a Teller. For some reason, the national party appears to have attached particular importance to those two elections!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,815
    Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

No, he’s vile, the Gollum of British politics.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Andy_JS said:

Just watched a replay of the Polish goal, and it looked like the goalscorer pushed one of the Spanish defenders out of the way just before he jumped to head the goal in. Isn't that a foul?

Looks a bit dubious. But i get the impression that VAR in this tournament is being used far more sparingly to over-rule on pitch decisions in this tournament than we are used to in the Premier League.

Which on balance, i consider a good thing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

I think there's something magnificent about Bercow's pomposity. And he seems to irritate the hell out of all the right people.
    I regard his pomposity as very like Boris's bumbling - it was entertaining, except when it'd be nice for them to shape up and be serious, but neither can turn it off, at which point it infuriates.

I cannot say I've ever been a fan of 'irritating the right people' either, though each to their own. I think it becomes far too easy to find oneself defending awful things/people well past the point of reasonableness because they are irritating people we might like to see irritated (aka the Laurence Fox problem). It becomes tribalism by another name - sure, X is a terrible person/did a terrible thing, but look at how much Y hate them!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

No, he’s vile, the Gollum of British politics.
    Gollum saved the day, albeit by accident.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Floater said:

LOL

Count me out.

Does that admiration extend to his bullying of Parliamentary staff? He is an obnoxious human being. Whatever he might have done as Speaker can never make up for that even if it were good - which it wasn't.
This discussion has been closed.