Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Remember that a CON-LD swing smaller than in C&A in 1990 led to Maggie going within a month – politi

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin says 89% of new coronavirus cases in the capital are caused by the Delta variant

Major crisis incoming on Russia.

Tbh that's good news so far as the UK goes.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Better covid numbers today

In the sense of? Is the growth in cases and hospitalisations slowing down?

I've only really had time to look at the headline numbers and the news from the three B's. The hospital data from Bedford currently look low and stable; Blackburn's total patient count is still going up but the admission rate shows signs of having levelled off; in Bolton, unfortunately, the hospital count has started to go back up again, albeit that it's still only a small fraction of previous waves.

At least the ramp in the hospital patient total for the country is still very gradual.
    Cases over 10k but less than yesterday.
    Patients in hospital in England are rising fast actually -> in England it is up 32% over past 7 days.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Really? Ventilator numbers still rising in the North East.
    Was chatting to someone earlier today - group of 10 went to the pub, all 10 of them now have Covid.
    1 dose 2 dose unvacced antivac?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

I've only really had time to look at the headline numbers and the news from the three B's. The hospital data from Bedford currently look low and stable; Blackburn's total patient count is still going up but the admission rate shows signs of having levelled off; in Bolton, unfortunately, the hospital count has started to go back up again, albeit that it's still only a small fraction of previous waves.

At least the ramp in the hospital patient total for the country is still very gradual.
    Ratters said:

Better but not great either. If case week-on-week growth rates remain around 30% then I'd remain concerned the government will delay lockdown easing, especially with the rate of hospitalisations (both new admissions and inpatients) picking up.
    Not stellar but better than yesterday’s numbers, which were enthusiastically overanalysed to within an inch of their lives by the zerocovidians. And a much better picture from Zoe and PHE - the former is a pretty reliable leading indicator.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,163

the dead pilots have been confirmed by ba...all died relatively recently

Cookie said:

Seems like the blood clot issue with vaccines is causing serious problems in the air if this is true

I'm calling bollocks on this. Sounds very much like the work of a Russian mischief-maker.

In fact, a quick Google reveals as much. It's bollocks.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-coronavirus-aviation-idUSL2N2NZ1ZO
    of course british airways will deny it. Why would they panic people
    This is ridiculous. @PBModerator
    when you have no arguments try to ban lol
    You are spouting antivax bullshit

Ban hammer coming, I dare say. Moron.
    Let us hope so.
    Not a fan of bans but in this case I’m with you.
  • Options
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Was chatting to someone earlier today - group of 10 went to the pub, all 10 of them now have Covid.
    Any idea of their vaccination status and disease severity ?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Seems like the blood clot issue with vaccines is causing serious problems in the air if this is true

I'm calling bollocks on this. Sounds very much like the work of a Russian mischief-maker.

I have a question.

In the US, airline pilots were among the very first to receive vaccines, and it essentially impossible for a pilot with one of the big three not to have been fully vaccinated (with an mRNA vaccines).

Domestic airline traffic is now up about 400% year-over and is almost back at prepandemic levels.

And yet none of the US airlines are reporting either (a) deaths of pilots or (b) any problems finding pilots for planes.

Given that US pilots were among the very first to be vaccinated in the US, this and that there are nine times as many commercial pilots in the US (85,000) as in the UK (9,000), this is very odd.

Is there something specific about British Airways? Or is this a completely made up story?
    It is made up and propagated by Russian troll farms no doubt.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Electoral Reform Society
    @electoralreform
    The government has announced plans that gut the UK’s independent Electoral Commission, representing a power grab over election scrutiny.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    Sean_F said:

Just an FYI if any of you ever meet John Bercow tell him that you're a huge fan of his and his political judgment, tell him you really liked his Monday Club days, when they supported apartheid and repatriation of darkies from the UK.

Very oddly shaped man. Large head, average sized body and little legs as I recall. Like a puppet on a string
    I remember one friend calling him "the Gollum of British politics. Small, stinking, and misshapen, yet strong, with a demonic inner drive."
    So your lot made him a Conservative MP..... The rot didn't really start with Johnson, did it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,964
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

In the US, airline pilots were among the very first to receive vaccines, and it essentially impossible for a pilot with one of the big three not to have been fully vaccinated (with an mRNA vaccines).

Domestic airline traffic is now up about 400% year-over and is almost back at prepandemic levels.

And yet none of the US airlines are reporting either (a) deaths of pilots or (b) any problems finding pilots for planes.

Given that US pilots were among the very first to be vaccinated in the US, this and that there are nine times as many commercial pilots in the US (85,000) as in the UK (9,000), this is very odd.

Is there something specific about British Airways? Or is this a completely made up story?
    A more pertinent question might be why @thespeaker was compelled to join PB solely for the purpose of peddling this dubious tale.
    All seems a bit futile.
    There are people who's job is pushing conspiracy stories.

We're a fairly smart bunch here (well, with a few exceptions here and there), so he was always going to find us a tough crowd.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485
    Good result for the LDs in Chesham and Amersham. I thought there was an outside chance but it was the size of the majority that surprised me. First LD gain from Con in a seat not won before since Romsey in 2000 (so long ago I had to look it up).

Lots of reasons for switching suggested and I expect there's an element of all of them. However I'm struck by how many habitual Conservative voters I know who take a dim view of Boris as a lying charlatan and don't much like the government's incompetence, lack of accountability, fast and loose attitude to observing the law, and its rather abrasive/unpleasant nationalistic tone. Yes, many of them were Remainers rather than pro-Brexit, but generally the sort of professional educated traditionalist Radio 4 listening types that could be relied upon to vote Tory. There are lots of people like that in the SE. None of them would ever dream of voting Labour (though I guess a few may have secretly voted for Blair in 1997) but they will vote LD.

While the Conservatives continue to wipe the floor with Labour in the North it's probably a fair trade; they won't lose many southern seats in a GE but if the wheels start to fall off the coalition of supporters looks unstable. However I expect in that case the Tories will jettison Boris as quick as a flash and elect someone who looks like a traditional Conservative. The question is whether that happens before the next GE, or after it when shifts in voting patterns have had a chance to take hold.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,974
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Given their ages 18-25 I suspect unvaccinated, as for severity enough that there is obvious symptoms as the biggest complaints are from two sets of parents who are having to isolate so can't work.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Cookie said:

This is ridiculous. @PBModerator
    when you have no arguments try to ban lol
    You are spouting antivax bullshit

Ban hammer coming, I dare say. Moron.
    Let us hope so.
    Not a fan of bans but in this case I’m with you.
    Neither would I be normally, but when it is obvious someone has registered on the site purely to spread disinformation one has to question their authenticity.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited June 2021
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Yes, I think there's far too much complacency on here, even from the expert epidemiologists and modellers. This delta variant spreads like wildfire, and current (lack of) restrictions are helping it do so. At my daughter's college they are struggling to contain a spread involving many students and staff, with many of the staff not yet double-vaxxed.

I'm not suggesting restrictions should be reintroduced. But I do think we have a bigger problem than many on here have been suggesting over the last few weeks. We have been badly bitten before through complacency; it can happen again.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    OK, first bit of amateur fact checking - let's address this one in best PB tradition:

4 BA staff have indeed died in short succession, including at least 2 pilots:

1. After 243 days of hospitalisation due to COVID infection. CoD unknown, but COVID had badly affected him:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pilot-texas-hospital-british-airways-b1863722.html

2. Looks like traumatic injuries, including local abdominal bleeding, during an off road bike ride:
    https://www.newvalleynews.co.uk/news/airline-pilot-in-mystery-death/

3 & 4 tbc

No obvious evidence of vaccination side effects in this so far.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

Just an FYI if any of you ever meet John Bercow tell him that you're a huge fan of his and his political judgment, tell him you really liked his Monday Club days, when they supported apartheid and repatriation of darkies from the UK.

Very oddly shaped man. Large head, average sized body and little legs as I recall. Like a puppet on a string
    I remember one friend calling him "the Gollum of British politics. Small, stinking, and misshapen, yet strong, with a demonic inner drive."
    So your lot made him a Conservative MP..... The rot didn't really start with Johnson, did it?
    There have always been some horrible Conservative MP's.
  • Options

Received this from a whistleblower at BA:

"Regarding BA, I don't wanna be revealed but i work for BA and on Wednesday a flight arrived at Heathrow and the captain suffered a cardiac arrest upon landing the plane, not sure if he died or not."

Chances of this being true but not being reported on pprune are zero.
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

Yes, I think there's far too much complacency on here. This delta variant spreads like wildfire, and current (lack of) restrictions are helping it do so. At my daughter's college they are struggling to contain a spread involving many students and staff, with many of the staff not yet double-vaxxed.

I'm not suggesting restrictions should be reintroduced. But I do think we have a bigger problem than many on here have been suggesting over the last few weeks. We have been badly bitten before through complacency; it can happen again.
    From what I've heard Durham Uni has serious problems at the moment..
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

ONS infection survey data doesn't look particularly alarming. Don't see how that series which measures all infections will hit anything like the Warwick predictions that were used to justify the lockdown extension.

It will be interesting to see how PCR positives trend over the next 10 days. I think we will be seeing the specimen date trend going down by then but the LFT rate steady or increasing as more people report asymptomatic infections and fewer report symptomatic COVID.

It will be very difficult to justify continued measures if PCR positives are trending downwards, but I'm sure the scientists will try and use LFTs to keep their restrictions going. I enjoyed Professor Pollard saying it was time to call and end to LFTs in schools, I think it's the right policy now that everyone is eligible to be vaccinated and by the start of the next school year all adults will have been called for both doses.

And in a beautiful moment for @CarlottaVance the England infection estimate is 1 in 520 whilst the Scotland figures is 1 in 600.

So yes, Nicola should have advised the Tartan army not to travel for their own safety.
    You sure about that?

In Scotland, the trend in the percentage of people testing positive remains uncertain in the week ending 12 June 2021; we estimate that 8,800 people in Scotland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 4,900 to 14,000) equating to around 1 in 600 people.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/18june2021

The upper estimate in Scotland is 1 in 380, England 1 in 440.
    :D , shown up yet again and has to resort to further fibs.
    Pleased to see the Welsh figures are a little more respectable.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

A more pertinent question might be why @thespeaker was compelled to join PB solely for the purpose of peddling this dubious tale.
    All seems a bit futile.
    Bet it's that Leon messing around again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924
    Cookie said:

The tweeter says it was due to "the Maxine"!!!
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

Yes, I think there's far too much complacency on here. This delta variant spreads like wildfire, and current (lack of) restrictions are helping it do so. At my daughter's college they are struggling to contain a spread involving many students and staff, with many of the staff not yet double-vaxxed.

It's very contagious, but the details of the PHE report, in terms of vaccine-efficacy, hospitalisations, and deaths on the part of those catching the Delta variant, are quite encouraging.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Given their ages 18-25 I suspect unvaccinated, as for severity enough that there is obvious symptoms as the biggest complaints are from two sets of parents who are having to isolate so can't work.
    So ten unvaccinated people have mild or asymptomatic cases? It’s gonna happen!
  • Options

"Regarding BA, I don't wanna be revealed but i work for BA and on Wednesday a flight arrived at Heathrow and the captain suffered a cardiac arrest upon landing the plane, not sure if he died or not."

Fortunately, airlines are required to report these incidences to the Civil Aviation Authority as a Mandatory Occurrence Report.

You can download these from the CAA website here (https://www.caa.co.uk/). If you could just post a link, that would be great.

Take your time.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

I think that applies to all parties. I actually think that most MPs are essentially good people that are wanting to do the best they can for their constituents from their own political perspective. There are always a few very rotten apples that enable the press to say "they are all the same"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Pulpstar said:

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin says 89% of new coronavirus cases in the capital are caused by the Delta variant

I don't think it good news. Indeed it is horrible news. It's not Putin that will suffer.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    Pro_Rata said:

OK, first bit of amateur fact checking - let's address this one in best PB tradition:

4 BA staff have indeed died in short succession, including at least 2 pilots:

1. After 243 days of hospitalisation due to COVID infection. CoD unknown, but COVID had badly affected him:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/pilot-texas-hospital-british-airways-b1863722.html

2. Looks like traumatic injuries, including local abdominal bleeding, during an off road bike ride:
    https://www.newvalleynews.co.uk/news/airline-pilot-in-mystery-death/

3 & 4 tbc

No obvious evidence of vaccination side effects in this so far.

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

It is made up and propagated by Russian troll farms no doubt.
    This is PB. We require a better class of troll - perhaps an airport thriller writer persona? Or 2?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rkrkrk said:

Cases over 10k but less than yesterday.
    Patients in hospital in England are rising fast actually -> in England it is up 32% over past 7 days.
    Whether or not this is a serious concern depends, of course, on whether we're seeing the emergence of a widespread trend (with patient numbers climbing relentlessly in the most seriously affected localities, until the hospitals really start to struggle) or if this is primarily the result of the disease very gradually spreading into new areas, whilst it levels off at moderate rates in the areas where the latest variant got a foothold first.

Clearly one hospital gaining 50 Covid patients in a week is much more of a concern than 50 hospitals each gaining only one over the same period.
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

Yes, I think there's far too much complacency on here, even from the expert epidemiologists and modellers. This delta variant spreads like wildfire, and current (lack of) restrictions are helping it do so. At my daughter's college they are struggling to contain a spread involving many students and staff, with many of the staff not yet double-vaxxed.

Where do you expect the hospitalisations and deaths to come from? And in what magnitude? Genuine question, I’m trying to work out where and how because the vaccines are working extremely well.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577

To everybody who called me an anti-vaxxer

Thespeaker

Now that's an anti-vaxxer

You're just an amateur ? :smile:
  • Options
    isam said:

Cookie said:

I saw that. Maybe there is now a group of folk called "ant-maxxers". A specific group set up to disagree with @MaxPB
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

eek said:

Alistair said:

Yep. Was in the Toon last night. Still light till c. 11 pm this time of the year. Hot.
    It was wild. Impromptu street raves. Bars heaving. Drunken cavorting high. Mask wearing low. Like old times. And good, good times for Delta.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Moron.
    Just imagine how Delta airlines must feel.
    I just went to Fulton County, Georgia to see if cases were shooting up due to Delta. Which would have allowed puns around home of Delta hit by Delta.

But (fortunately) cases remain at a very low level.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

Nailed it, Sean.
  • Options

Source? Send my best to Vladimir btw.
    source is an official tweet by ba mate
    Too official to link to?

You are the Scotland in disguise of trolls (no offence to hon PBers).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Yep. Was in the Toon last night. Still light till c. 11 pm this time of the year. Hot.
    It was wild. Impromptu street raves. Bars heaving. Drunken cavorting high. Mask wearing low. Like old times. And good, good times for Delta.
    People are living their lives in the knowledge that vaccines work. Sooner or later, we have to get on with our lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

eek said:

Alistair said:

Where do you expect the hospitalisations and deaths to come from? And in what magnitude? Genuine question, I’m trying to work out where and how because the vaccines are working extremely well.
    Genuine answer - I don't know. But it does looks as if both hospitalisations and deaths are rising, albeit gradually, especially in the case of the latter. Although vaccine efficacy is very high, maybe it's not quite high enough to stop growing hospitalisations/deaths if case rates become too high. I'd be more comfortable if, at this stage in the race between vaccinations and infections, a higher proportion of the population were double-vaxxed. It's a pity the timings aren't quite right.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

All seems a bit futile.
    Bet it's that Leon messing around again.
    No, he's way better at it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,403
    ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

Your party made Cyril Smith an MP and covered up.

All parties have had and still do have terrible human beings as MP.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

If you want to look proportionately, I reckon the old Liberal Party would probably be "top of the pops" for Rank Bajins.
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

At some point we need to let the virus make headway through the population. We are all adults that want it single vaxxed and broadly all adults that wanted it over 40 double vaxxed by 19th July. We could hold on further but under 40s can wait till they're double vaxxed before they head fully out out if they so wish - it's their own decision.

At a population level waiting longer doesn't gain much as Vallance said so 19th July it should be.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

All seems a bit futile.

We're a fairly smart bunch here (well, with a few exceptions here and there), so he was always going to find us a tough crowd.
    Come on, who decided to click on the links to see who I'd tagged as an idiot?

Own up.
    I tried, but it just took me to the header.
    Which didn't seem right, somehow ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Moron.
    A bit like the company that makes Corona lager, or the investment company known as ISIS .
  • Options
    edited June 2021

eek said:

Alistair said:

It's just that the argument for a bit more time - the 4 weeks - to get really clear on the link between Delta and hospitals does have some validity. That's my view anyway.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    C&A will go back to the Tories at the next election with ease, failing some massive 1997 style turnaround at the national level.

A by-election asks a different question from a general election. At the by-election you are answering the question "are you happy with the government or not?". At a GE you are answering the question "on balance do you prefer this party to form a government or the opposition". Unless Kier suddenly offers an income tax cut for high earners the voters of C&A are going to tick the Tory box. That's why the party can continue to take them for granted.

Other more marginal seats though...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    56m
    Can CONFIRM certain individuals making calls about a potential leadership bid in Labour. One contact isn’t sure Angela Rayner has nominations (unless Starmer resigns, then falls to 25).

“She may not have right or left of PLP”. Weird day to not be honest about Corbyn pic.(1/2)

Bastani should understand that the first consideration must be to destroy Johnson. After that he'll have plenty of time to indulge himself in selecting a new Labour leader.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Portland police officers resign from protest response unit en masse after colleague faces charges

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/portland-police-resign-protest-budworth-b1868066.html
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

Genuine answer - I don't know. But it does looks as if both hospitalisations and deaths are rising, albeit gradually, especially in the case of the latter. Although vaccine efficacy is very high, maybe it's not quite high enough to stop growing hospitalisations/deaths if case rates become too high.
    We have to ride the exit wave at some stage in the game. Better to do so in the summer than in the autumn surely?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

It's very contagious, but the details of the PHE report, in terms of vaccine-efficacy, hospitalisations, and deaths on the part of those catching the Delta variant, are quite encouraging.
    Have I read PHE correctly? Two doses is even better on Delta than on Alpha (92% vs 94%)(for hospitalisation).
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

To everybody who called me an anti-vaxxer

Thespeaker

Now that's an anti-vaxxer

Well there comes a time when a community rallies around it's own. You are "our" anti-vaxxer, not some Russian troll tosser!
    Nobody can deny that vaccines are the best answer to protect the vulnerable.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,931
    ClippP said:

dixiedean said:

Yesterday's LD private polling was widely derided.
    And rightly so. Spectacularly inaccurate.

It was derided, certainly, by Tory supporters because they thought the Lib Dems could not possibly be that close.

I think the figures published were not far out. The Lib Dems were still making up ground. As a snapshot, the figures were accurate enough.

And then Lib Dem activists from all over the country really did pile in, to convince the waverers and finally to get the vote out.

Why do PB Conservatives always sneer at everything?
    There is such a thing as momentum in by-elections. In the early days it is hard graft sorting out all the mechanics of a campaign, then working out the messages and printing the literature. The you have to become the story. This happened ( no thanks to the media) in the last week. I understand that on polling day the Lib Dems did 8 complete knock-ups. I think the victory point came at the beginning of the week - the majority came on the day.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Re: the stunning Cheshm and Amersham result, perhaps THIS from across the pond may be relevant?

Politico.com - ‘As Long as the Party Embraces Trump, It’s Going to Have Trouble’
    The Republican collapse in Michigan’s Oakland County, once a stronghold, was a long time coming. Is losing these suburbs a warning light for Trumpism?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/06/18/biden-republican-voters-oakland-county-michigan-suburbs-494983

n the aftermath of the 2020 election, the Republican National Committee opted not to order an autopsy into what exactly led to the party’s decline in suburban communities that were, until recently, considered deep red.

But if RNC Chair Ronna Romney McDaniel wanted to understand what happened, she could do worse than to look back at the place she was raised: Oakland County, Michigan. . . .

Ten years ago, Republicans held two of the four GOP-drawn U.S. House seats in Oakland (the other two were safe Democratic); now, all four are in Democratic hands. Democratic women now represent the Romney family’s hometown in the state House, state Senate and U.S. House (Rep. Haley Stevens). Ten years ago, Brooks Patterson, the silver-tongued sun-God around whom all local politics orbited, was county executive, and Republicans held four of the six countywide elected posts; Democrats now hold five of them, including the executive. After GOP-controlled redistricting in 2012, Republicans had a 14-7 majority on the Oakland County Board of Commissioners; now, Democrats have an 11-10 edge and will control the county-level redistricting process for the first time in a half-century.The change is happening in lush, sylvan communities like Birmingham and Bloomfield—a place at least three generations of Romneys, McDaniel included, have called home. Here, generations of families with auto-baron surnames set roots. Here, they enrolled their kids at affluent public schools or even-more-affluent private schools with idyllic names like Country Day and Cranbrook. Here, they donated to and elected Republicans. At least, that is, until recently.

“That’s how I describe it to literally anyone from out of state,” laughs Mari Manoogian, a Democratic state Representative whose district encompasses much of the community. “They’re like, ‘Wait, you’re the state representative for Mitt Romney’s hometown?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah!’” . . . .

• Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think it good news. Indeed it is horrible news. It's not Putin that will suffer.
    Would you prefer it was the Eta (B1.525) variant from Nigeria ?
    If a lineage is dominant in your country then you want other outbreaks elsewhere to be of that same lineage, given how piss poor our border control is.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

eek said:

Alistair said:

Genuine answer - I don't know. But it does looks as if both hospitalisations and deaths are rising, albeit gradually, especially in the case of the latter. Although vaccine efficacy is very high, maybe it's not quite high enough to stop growing hospitalisations/deaths if case rates become too high. I'd be more comfortable if, at this stage in the race between vaccinations and infections, a higher proportion of the population were double-vaxxed. It's a pity the timings aren't quite right.
    The hospital numbers for the country as a whole will likely keep going up for some weeks, and more deaths are bound to follow. The important thing for the Government to look at is whether or not any of the individual hospitals are really beginning to struggle, or if patient numbers are plateauing at manageable levels.

If we wait for the wretched disease to disappear then we shall be stuck with restrictions forever.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

If you want to look proportionately, I reckon the old Liberal Party would probably be "top of the pops" for Rank Bajins.
    Probably most of the 1970's Parliamentary Liberal Party should have gone to prison.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

eek said:

Alistair said:

Genuine answer - I don't know. But it does looks as if both hospitalisations and deaths are rising, albeit gradually, especially in the case of the latter. Although vaccine efficacy is very high, maybe it's not quite high enough to stop growing hospitalisations/deaths if case rates become too high.
    We have to ride the exit wave at some stage in the game. Better to do so in the summer than in the autumn surely?
    Yes, but even better to do so when all adults (i.e. those willing and able), at least, are double vaxxed. In an ideal world.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

what im saying is it may explain the govts reluctance to reopen foreign travel if there is a problem they are concerned about

Sounds like you're deep in the antivaxxer rabbit hole.

If there is a serious story here it'd be in the serious news. Provide a reputable source, or please don't spread conspiracy theory nonsense.
    lol sure the bbc are going to run it and panic people lol....something this serious would be hushed up at first not run on news at ten for gods sake
    You are Vladimir Putin and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    56m
    Can CONFIRM certain individuals making calls about a potential leadership bid in Labour. One contact isn’t sure Angela Rayner has nominations (unless Starmer resigns, then falls to 25).

“She may not have right or left of PLP”. Weird day to not be honest about Corbyn pic.(1/2)

Bastani should understand that the first consideration must be to destroy Johnson. After that he'll have plenty of time to indulge himself in selecting a new Labour leader.
    To be fair he seems to be talking about people ringing him to discuss their leadership bids rather than him ringing them to propose they stand.

I suspect most of it is wild fantasy, but Steve Bush of Newstatesman says plenty of Lab MPs don't think SKS will get past the autumn.
  • Options
    Oh my word.

A Tory MP has been charged with a sexual assault on a teenager it can finally be revealed.

Rising star Imran Ahmad Khan, 47 appeared at Westminster Magistrates over an historic “groping” claim.

The charge can now be reported after restrictions were lifted.

He appeared at the court this week where Mr Khan, the MP for Wakefield pleaded “not guilty” to the single count which dates back to January 2008.

He will appear at the Old Bailey next month.

Mr Khan was one of the red wall MPs elected in the 2019 election, where he ousted Labour stalwart Mary Creagh.

Staffordshire Police have been probing the claim for over a year but never made a formal arrest.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/15305518/tory-mp-charged-with-historic-sex-assualt/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

All seems a bit futile.

Own up.
    Yep: I didn't really tag anyone, not even people who really deserve it :smile:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

Nailed it, Sean.
    Far be it for me to defend the Conservative Party, but I name Elliot Morley, Chris Huhne, Jim Devine, Denis MacShane, Fiona Onasanya who are all non-Tory MPs who have done jail time, and don't seem paragons of repentance. Add to those some of the really obnoxious MPs from the Labour Party, who are not provenly criminal but just, well, painfully obnoxious: (Prescott, Skinner, Corbyn, Keith Vaz). Equally for all these arseholes there are also some very nice ones, as there are in the Conservative Party. Oh, and I almost forgot the guy that was described by his own QC as a bully and sex pest, oh what's his name...looks like a toad and only has one fan on here.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    eek said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

From what I've heard Durham Uni has serious problems at the moment..
    Re: the Cornwall cluster discussion yesterday. Yesterday's MSOA hotspots over 400/100k (excluding the 3-4 dozen such in GM / Ribble:

St. Ives
    3 x Falmouth
    1 x North Somerset (Bristol border)
    1 x London (Mayfair, imported?)
    1 x Liverpool (Wavertree, student?)
    1 x Cheshire W (Prestbury, close enough to MCR)
    1 x Kirklees (Batley Carr, ongoing Delta hotspot)
    3 x Leeds (Hyde Park, Headingley, student)
    1 x Durham City (student)

I'm concluding the G7 summit after all was a superspreading event - not so much the summit itself, but the security preparations, including housing security personnel in a cruise ship off Falmouth. Hotspots were already establishing by the summit start date and the 3 loci, Falmouth, St. Ives and Newquay (esp the airport) were key locations.

For an event like that, you can set up with security / military in a way that you can't normally with civilians, and then that can transfer into the towns. No evidence, as such, just my hunch.
  • Options

eek said:

Alistair said:

Newcastle surfing that exit wave all the way to the shore. Last night reminded me of fresher's week, only all ages involved this time. Full on bacchanalia. Shortly before we were locked down on September 18.
    Hopefully the vaccines will do their job this time. All will be revealed in time.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,931
    Random fact -two thirds of Lib Dem MPs are women and one sixth are called Sarah.
  • Options
    Pilate made a good point when he said "What is truth?", assuming he did in fact say it.
  • Options

Oh my word.

A Tory MP has been charged with a sexual assault on a teenager it can finally be revealed.

Rising star Imran Ahmad Khan, 47 appeared at Westminster Magistrates over an historic “groping” claim.

He appeared at the court this week where Mr Khan, the MP for Wakefield pleaded “not guilty” to the single count which dates back to January 2008.

Mr Khan was one of the red wall MPs elected in the 2019 election, where he ousted Labour stalwart Mary Creagh.

Staffordshire Police have been probing the claim for over a year but never made a formal arrest.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/15305518/tory-mp-charged-with-historic-sex-assualt/

Also

Seven people have been charged with electoral offences by police investigating a missing £10.25m loan to Northampton Town Football Club.

The six men and one woman have been charged over donations made to Northampton South Conservative Association in 2014.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-57525981

It's a if, following Dom's departure, nobody remembers how dead cat theory is meant to work.
  • Options

Oh my word.

Blimey. By-election in Wakefield coming up surely ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Oh my word.

Also

Seven people have been charged with electoral offences by police investigating a missing £10.25m loan to Northampton Town Football Club.

The six men and one woman have been charged over donations made to Northampton South Conservative Association in 2014.

It's a if, following Dom's departure, nobody remembers how dead cat theory is meant to work.
    Ouch. This sort of stuff will start to stick. Starting to feel a little bit like the era of "back to basics". Oh alright, not yet!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    isam said:

Cookie said:

Peake Maxine?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

ClippP said:

Sean_F said:

Probably most of the 1970's Parliamentary Liberal Party should have gone to prison.
    Spoiling it now.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,271
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Moron.
    Don't you mean Indian Airlines? :lol:
  • Options

Pilate made a good point when he said "What is truth?", assuming he did in fact say it.

I thought he said "what is twuth?"
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,214
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Is it too simplistic to say the Conservatives stayed at home and the rest went to the LDs?

The Con 2019>Con 2021 & Turnout 2019>Turnout 2021 numbers are very similar

My assumption was the LDs would hold their vote, and get half the Lab vote, while the Cons would keep two-thirds of their vote. That would have resulted in a 20k Con vs 17k LD vote share.

The Conservatives lost more than half their vote and the LDs were up more than the "lost" Labour vote, so I reckon at least some Tories voted LD. Maybe not a massive number, but probably at least a couple of thousand.
    The Torygraph thinks a lot more... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/18/chesham-amersham-by-election-lifelong-tories-reveal-real-reason/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh my word.

Well he denies it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Electoral Reform Society
    @electoralreform
    The government has announced plans that gut the UK’s independent Electoral Commission, representing a power grab over election scrutiny.

What's the pretext?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Oh my word.

Also

Yes. The end destination of that "loan" to the football club has long been a mystery.
    Certainly it didn't end up at the football club.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Electoral Reform Society
    @electoralreform

What's the pretext?
    Because they can...
  • Options
    TimS said:

C&A will go back to the Tories at the next election with ease, failing some massive 1997 style turnaround at the national level.

A by-election asks a different question from a general election. At the by-election you are answering the question "are you happy with the government or not?". At a GE you are answering the question "on balance do you prefer this party to form a government or the opposition". Unless Kier suddenly offers an income tax cut for high earners the voters of C&A are going to tick the Tory box. That's why the party can continue to take them for granted.

Other more marginal seats though...

While I tend to agree, this is quite a large LibDem majority. If you look at historic by-elections wins they were usually by quite small margins:

Dunfermline - 1,800 votes
    Leicester South - 1,600
    Brent East - 1,100
    Romsey - 2,800
    Littleborough and Saddleworth - 1,800
    Eastleigh - 9,200
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,271
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

All seems a bit futile.

Own up.
    I was hoping to see you on the list, that's all!
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

Electoral Reform Society
    @electoralreform

What's the pretext?
    Because they can...
    Yes, but I meant officially.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

All seems a bit futile.

Own up.
    Me.
    I like to see my name in lights
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Moron.
    Don't you mean Indian Airlines? :lol:
    Surely that is April 02 Airlines?
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    I guess Scotland want the Czechs to win this one ?
  • Options
    England PCR positivity

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh my word.

Only if convicted surely ? Nigel Evans didn't quit when he was on trial.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Re: the stunning Cheshm and Amersham result, perhaps THIS from across the pond may be relevant?

Politico.com - ‘As Long as the Party Embraces Trump, It’s Going to Have Trouble’
    The Republican collapse in Michigan’s Oakland County, once a stronghold, was a long time coming. Is losing these suburbs a warning light for Trumpism?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/06/18/biden-republican-voters-oakland-county-michigan-suburbs-494983

n the aftermath of the 2020 election, the Republican National Committee opted not to order an autopsy into what exactly led to the party’s decline in suburban communities that were, until recently, considered deep red.

But if RNC Chair Ronna Romney McDaniel wanted to understand what happened, she could do worse than to look back at the place she was raised: Oakland County, Michigan. . . .

Ten years ago, Republicans held two of the four GOP-drawn U.S. House seats in Oakland (the other two were safe Democratic); now, all four are in Democratic hands. Democratic women now represent the Romney family’s hometown in the state House, state Senate and U.S. House (Rep. Haley Stevens). Ten years ago, Brooks Patterson, the silver-tongued sun-God around whom all local politics orbited, was county executive, and Republicans held four of the six countywide elected posts; Democrats now hold five of them, including the executive. After GOP-controlled redistricting in 2012, Republicans had a 14-7 majority on the Oakland County Board of Commissioners; now, Democrats have an 11-10 edge and will control the county-level redistricting process for the first time in a half-century.The change is happening in lush, sylvan communities like Birmingham and Bloomfield—a place at least three generations of Romneys, McDaniel included, have called home. Here, generations of families with auto-baron surnames set roots. Here, they enrolled their kids at affluent public schools or even-more-affluent private schools with idyllic names like Country Day and Cranbrook. Here, they donated to and elected Republicans. At least, that is, until recently.

“That’s how I describe it to literally anyone from out of state,” laughs Mari Manoogian, a Democratic state Representative whose district encompasses much of the community. “They’re like, ‘Wait, you’re the state representative for Mitt Romney’s hometown?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah!’” . . . .

I am always skeptical of people who would never vote republican in a thousand years offering the republicans advice.

The fact is, Trump is going to leverage the Maricopa audit and investigations elsewhere (Like Fulton County) to try to destroy Biden's legitimacy.

Will he succeed? I have no idea.

But he is going to try.
  • Options
    UK cases summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Oh my word.

He was ~34 at the time. Alleged victim was 15.

Potentially quite serious.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924

Oh my word.

A "Rising Star" who is older than me - thanks for posting!
  • Options
    UK R

• Options

UK cases summary

All the curves are intriguingly poised between convex (Bad) and concave (good)
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh my word.

Only if convicted surely ? Nigel Evans didn't quit when he was on trial.
    Iirc, in that case the alleged victims were over 18, which makes a big difference.
This discussion has been closed.