Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Remember that a CON-LD swing smaller than in C&A in 1990 led to Maggie going within a month – politi

Comments

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

AstraZeneca has claimed victory in its legal case against the EU after a court in Brussels found that the bloc should not be given priority over other countries for jabs....

The EU has also claimed victory ...
    A very quick read seems to indicate that AZN won the big victory (re best reasonable efforts) and the EU won a consolation prize (re court-ordered deliveries from now to September).
    The market has delivered its judgment: the AZN share price is virtually unchanged.
    EU “victory” seems to have consisted of court ordering AZ (under threat of penalty) to deliver doses by September that they say they will have delivered by end of June.
    There is still a potential second suit for damages in respect of the late deliveries. It seems equally unlikely to go anywhere, but I expect the parties back in court, if only because UVDL is a numpty.
    Nah, the 80.2m is almost all done anyway. It's the target AZ set itself and it's extremely unlikely it won't meet it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

AstraZeneca has claimed victory in its legal case against the EU after a court in Brussels found that the bloc should not be given priority over other countries for jabs....

A very quick read seems to indicate that AZN won the big victory (re best reasonable efforts) and the EU won a consolation prize (re court-ordered deliveries from now to September).
    The market has delivered its judgment: the AZN share price is virtually unchanged.
    Huzzah for AstraZeneca. Except for Springsteen fans who can't go to his concerts because America does not recognise AZ vaccines.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/astrazeneca-vaccine-bruce-springsteen-on-broadway-concert-new-york-b941311.html
    Not quite the same thing - it's because the FDA has yet to approve it.
    Bit of a busted institution right at the moment (see also the recent Alzheimer's decision).
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Yesterday's LD private polling was widely derided.
    And rightly so. Spectacularly inaccurate.

Lib Dem Vote share off by 15 points.
    Lib Dem lead off by 25 points.

Embarrassing.
    They wouldn't leak "private polling" that showed that much of a lead. People might get complacent.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    I don't care how slippery that pavement is, I will be surprised if he has any nipples left.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Embarrassing.
    Oh you innocent boy.

That poll 'leak' was entirely done to get the tactical votes of the Greens/Labour/Brendan Donnelly.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,100
    edited June 2021

I don't care how slippery that pavement is, I will be surprised if he has any nipples left.
    One tit remains, however. :smiley:

Does this mean Scotland won something?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Embarrassing.
    Oh you innocent boy.

That poll 'leak' was entirely done to get the tactical votes of the Greens/Labour/Brendan Donnelly.
    Do you think it was deliberate fake news ;) ?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

Huzzah for AstraZeneca. Except for Springsteen fans who can't go to his concerts because America does not recognise AZ vaccines.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/astrazeneca-vaccine-bruce-springsteen-on-broadway-concert-new-york-b941311.html
    Bit of a busted institution right at the moment (see also the recent Alzheimer's decision).
    Yes but this non-recognition of different vaccines will be a problem if reopening international travel will be predicated on vaccine passports. It's a shame this was not settled at the G7.

Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Embarrassing.
    Oh you innocent boy.

Honest as the day is long, Lib Dems.

Must be midwinter in the arctic.

You should see the campaigns manual.
    I'm staking a small portion of my winnings from last night on Scotland to win tonight.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I'm staking a small portion of my winnings from last night on Scotland to win tonight.

More foolish than when I backed England against Ireland at the rugby
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Embarrassing.
    Oh you innocent boy.

Do you think it was deliberate fake news ;) ?
    Well I never saw the data tables/methodology, so I cannot comment.

Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

Embarrassing.
    Oh you innocent boy.

Yes, it was (in hindsight) clearly made up numbers to get Lab-Lib switchers whilst also making the Conservatives feel safe.
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

EU “victory” seems to have consisted of court ordering AZ (under threat of penalty) to deliver doses by September that they say they will have delivered by end of June.
    There is still a potential second suit for damages in respect of the late deliveries. It seems equally unlikely to go anywhere, but I expect the parties back in court, if only because UVDL is a numpty.
    Nah, the 80.2m is almost all done anyway. It's the target AZ set itself and it's extremely unlikely it won't meet it.
    The second case isn't about that - it concerns damages for deliveries that were late in the first half of the year:
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/astrazeneca-says-eu-loses-legal-140419297.html
    ...The European Union last month launched a second lawsuit against the drugmaker seeking financial penalties for the delays to vaccine supply.
    "This decision confirms the position of the Commission: AstraZeneca did not live up to the commitments it made in the contract," Commission President von der Leyen said on Friday.
    The EU lawyer said the EU will analyse the situation before deciding whether to go ahead with second legal case...

Frivolous, but they might still litigate it.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

Yes but this non-recognition of different vaccines will be a problem if reopening international travel will be predicated on vaccine passports. It's a shame this was not settled at the G7.
    Yes, it's stupid.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

AlistairM said:

isam said:

Is it too simplistic to say the Conservatives stayed at home and the rest went to the LDs?

The Con 2019>Con 2021 & Turnout 2019>Turnout 2021 numbers are very similar

Tories didn't just stay at home, they voted LD. In my view there were two reasons:

1. HS2
    2. House building

In most other constituencies HS2 isn't an issue. House building will be. Most people want more houses to be built to give their kids somewhere to live. Most are also NIMBYs. Prime territory for those parties who can promise the earth and never have to deliver anything.
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Is it too simplistic to say the Conservatives stayed at home and the rest went to the LDs?

Turnout down 18,024; Tory vote down 17,361.

Does look that way !
    Yes, if that isn't the case, who were the 18024 who didn't vote? Surely not 2019 Lib Dem or Labour voters?
    The big danger for the tories here is they learn the wrong lessons from the wrong people. The Soubrys. The Grieves.
    You want to read it as an anti Lockdown protest don't you?
    Not really, because it isn't. If it was, Reform would have done better. They got nowhere. Soubry & Co are calling for a letting up in the culture war, and a softer policy on Europe, as a prelude to rejoining.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,926

A fool and his money are soon parted :lol:
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson plans to strip Electoral Commission of powers - weeks after they launch investigation into his flat refurb

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-warned-over-alarming-24343003 https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1405879771867889666/photo/1

Not at all corrupt. Boris to neuter Electoral Commission investigating Boris and his party.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-warned-over-alarming-24343003
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    TimT said:

Skim read. Hard to find the actual judgment. Did find this in para 79:

Faute d'autre elements la demande a) de l'UE est non fondée et elle en sera déboutée.

I read this as "In the absence of other issue, the EU's complaint a) is unfounded and will be [denied?]

From my reading, the court found fault with Astrazeneca for contracting supplies to the EU from a couple of plants where the production was prioritised for UK delivery. There was nothing wrong with the prioritisation per se, but AZ should not have included that production in the EU contract. The EU claim against AZ was dismissed for not delivering the full 300 million doses.

It comes out as a wash effectively because the UK contract was much smaller than the EU one and so AZ have just about delivered the smaller amount that the court reckons is the damage [my interpretation]

The ruling is interesting, not so much for the judgment, as the context and how the vaccination industialisation took place. It's an amazing thing.
    edited June 2021
    (Trigger warning for Max)

Comical Dave is unusually non-garrulous on this:
    A judge has issued a ruling in the EU's lawsuit against #AstraZeneca.

Though apparently those UK plants are suddenly the most important thing:
    The verdict is still being parsed (it's very complicated) but the EU side says it obliges #AstraZeneca to use its UK factories to meet its commitments to the EU if needed.

This is the crux of the dispute: no exports from UK as envisioned in EU-AZ contract

If ruling does indeed say this, it would be significant.

#AstraZeneca said it couldn't meet its delivery schedule to the EU using facilities in Britain because its contract with the UK government obliges them to supply the UK first. But facilities were listed in contract with EU

All very slanted, and I promise no more before Max's bedtime.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

Yes, it's stupid.
    Yeah I can understand not recognising Chinese vaccines or the Russian one given that the data is poor and they haven't yet applied for FDA approval. AZ not being included seems a bit ridiculous given that it's the FDA holding it up for no reason, J&J had got the same issues wrt blood clots in the young and it has full approval.
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

Yes, it's stupid.
    Yeah I can understand not recognising Chinese vaccines or the Russian one given that the data is poor and they haven't yet applied for FDA approval. AZ not being included seems a bit ridiculous given that it's the FDA holding it up for no reason, J&J had got the same issues wrt blood clots in the young and it has full approval.
    Rollout and approval need to be seperated out.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    MattW said:

(Trigger warning for Max)

Comical Dave is unusually non-garrulous on this:
    A judge has issued a ruling in the EU's lawsuit against #AstraZeneca.

Though apparently those UK plants are suddenly the most important thing:
    The verdict is still being parsed (it's very complicated) but the EU side says it obliges #AstraZeneca to use its UK factories to meet its commitments to the EU if needed.

This is the crux of the dispute: no exports from UK as envisioned in EU-AZ contract

If ruling does indeed say this, it would be significant.

#AstraZeneca said it couldn't meet its delivery schedule to the EU using facilities in Britain because its contract with the UK government obliges them to supply the UK first. But facilities were listed in contract with EU

All obvious bollox, and I promise no more before Max's bedtime.

Well the UK factory was listed as a possible source not as a designated source.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the delivery figures are they in addition to what has already been supplied or grand totals including what has already been supplied (and not yet used).
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Does look that way !
    Not necessarily the same people though.

We know the demographic most likely to turn out for any poll are the older, wealthier folk. People who used to be Tories in other words.

I think it very unwise for Tories to make the "stay at home" excuse. These were switchers, just as we saw in the Red Wall.
    FF43 said:

TimT said:

Faute d'autre elements la demande a) de l'UE est non fondée et elle en sera déboutée.

I read this as "In the absence of other issue, the EU's complaint a) is unfounded and will be [denied?]

From my reading, the court found fault with Astrazeneca for contracting supplies to the EU from a couple of plants where the production was prioritised for UK delivery. There was nothing wrong with the prioritisation per se, but AZ should not have included that production in the EU contract. The EU claim against AZ was dismissed for not delivering the full 300 million doses.

It comes out as a wash effectively because the UK contract was much smaller than the EU one and so AZ have just about delivered the smaller amount that the court reckons is the damage [my interpretation]

The ruling is interesting, not so much for the judgment, as the context and how the vaccination industialisation took place. It's an amazing thing.
    I'll wait now for a proper translation.

However, EC knew about the UK priority before they signed; I am not sure what impact that has wrt the actual contract wording.
  • PamelaWPamelaW Posts: 20
    A truly brilliant result for LDs to secure a 25.2% swing.

However 8000 majority probably not sufficient for them to retain at next GE. Though spectacular, this result is not as good as Christchurch (lost at subsequent GE) or Newbury (retained at subsequent GE).
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,775
    PamelaW said:

However 8000 majority probably not sufficient for them to retain at next GE. Though spectacular, this result is not as good as Christchurch (lost at subsequent GE) or Newbury (retained at subsequent GE).

Yes, that's probably correct.

Still, Eastbourne is a good analog. Won (surprisingly) at a byelection. Lost. Then a highly competitive seat that has spent roughly equal amounts of time in the Blue and Yellow columns.
  • thespeakerthespeaker Posts: 13
    This is now circulating on social media. The dead pilots have been confirmed by ba
    “They’ve had the third BA pilot die in the last seven days, yeah? Third pilot dead in the last week,” says the man heard in the recording. “The first two guys were in their forties and fifties; this guy, mid-thirties, perfectly fit, no underlying conditions. He gets his second jab and he’s dead within days, exactly the same with the first two.

“Because of this, BA are now in crisis talks with the government about whether to allow vaccinated pilots to fly. The issue with that of course is that about 80%, according to my friend in BA, 80-85% have been injected.”

Seems like the blood clot issue with vaccines is causing serious problems in the air if this is true
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    How important was the candidate? We know Cheryl Gillan was popular.
    From what I've seen and heard they didn't replace her with similar calibre.
    it could also be why the govt is reluctant to reopen foreign travel
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

Yes, it's stupid.
    It may be we need to move to a system of recognising some "foreign" vaccinations for "vaccine passport" purposes even if they do not have regulatory approval for "home" use.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,093
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Does look that way !

We know the demographic most likely to turn out for any poll are the older, wealthier folk. People who used to be Tories in other words.

I think it very unwise for Tories to make the "stay at home" excuse. These were switchers, just as we saw in the Red Wall.
    It was a popular comfort blanket in the mid 90's. Indeed, I've got vague recollections of a BoJo column in The Telegraph on that basis.

What it misses is that most elections are about getting your supporters out more than they are are about persuading the other lot's supporters to switch. If that many Conservative voters are grumpy enough to sit this one out, that's a problem- even if a lot of them might be expected to come back for a General Election.
    the dead pilots have been confirmed by ba...all died relatively recently
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Quality football-related mischief from the Scots in London:
    "Two men were arrested last night. A 25-year-old man was arrested for indecent exposure [i.e. being stark bollock naked for no readily apparent reason] in Hyde Park. He was taken into police custody before being cautioned and released.

Another man was arrested for the attempted theft of a police officer’s hat, assault with intent of avoiding arrest and assault of emergency worker. He was taken to a south London police station where he currently remains."
    what im saying is it may explain the govts reluctance to reopen foreign travel if there is a problem they are concerned about
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Does look that way !

Assuming that's the case, then we next have to ask whether they've moved into the yellow column for good, or will flip back come a general election. Is there some new-found taste for the Lib Dems in this constituency, or is this (as many have alleged) more along the lines of a mass outbreak of Nimbyism from people who want both HS2 and new houses to go away?

If Tory MPs conclude that it's the latter then, whilst HS2 is probably safe - the political investment in the project and the sunk costs are now both so enormous - you can see there being huge pressure to dump planning reform and pickle the Green Belt in aspic.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

isam said:

AlistairM said:

isam said:

Tories didn't just stay at home, they voted LD. In my view there were two reasons:

1. HS2
    2. House building

In most other constituencies HS2 isn't an issue. House building will be. Most people want more houses to be built to give their kids somewhere to live. Most are also NIMBYs. Prime territory for those parties who can promise the earth and never have to deliver anything.
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Does look that way !
    Yes, if that isn't the case, who were the 18024 who didn't vote? Surely not 2019 Lib Dem or Labour voters?
    The big danger for the tories here is they learn the wrong lessons from the wrong people. The Soubrys. The Grieves.
    The big danger for the tories (sic) here is they learn the wrong lessons from the wrong people. People like you!
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,351
    rcs1000 said:

PamelaW said:

Still, Eastbourne is a good analog. Won (surprisingly) at a byelection. Lost. Then a highly competitive seat that has spent roughly equal amounts of time in the Blue and Yellow columns.
    How many people would put how much money on the Tories losing Newbury at the next election? Not me.

BTW, re Eastbourne, compare how the parties reacted to the Tory Ian Gow being murdered, forcing a by election in 1990 (LD and Labour stood against the Tory and LD won) with the reaction to the murder of Jo Cox (Tory and LD stood aside and Labour won).

Source? Send my best to Vladimir btw.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

what im saying is it may explain the govts reluctance to reopen foreign travel if there is a problem they are concerned about

This is current air traffic over Europe:

Cookie said:

Seems like the blood clot issue with vaccines is causing serious problems in the air if this is true

I'm calling bollocks on this. Sounds very much like the work of a Russian mischief-maker.

In fact, a quick Google reveals as much. It's bollocks.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-coronavirus-aviation-idUSL2N2NZ1ZO
    of course british airways will deny it. Why would they panic people

Cookie said:

I'm calling bollocks on this. Sounds very much like the work of a Russian mischief-maker.

as sir humphrey said "Never believe something until it has been officially denied"
    and all the deaths did happen
    it could also cause issues for vaccinated individuals travelling abroad
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Sounds like you're deep in the antivaxxer rabbit hole.

If there is a serious story here it'd be in the serious news. Provide a reputable source, or please don't spread conspiracy theory nonsense.

Cookie said:

as sir humphrey said "Never believe something until it has been officially denied"
    and all the deaths did happen
    Stop talking bollox
    rcs1000 said:

PamelaW said:

Winchester will go yellow next GE I think.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

Floater said:

This made my day

Yes, it's stupid.
    Also a bit of a difference between non approval because of concerns about safety, and because of concerns about effectiveness.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    A third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic is already under way leaving Wales facing a "serious public health situation", the first minister said.

Mark Drakeford said Wales may be two or three weeks behind England and Scotland in rising case numbers.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

One in his thirties = Pfizer/Moderns?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    10,406 cases, up 33% on a seven day basis, 30% week on week. 1,251 hospitalisations, up 17.5% week on week.

If there is a serious story here it'd be in the serious news. Provide a reputable source, or please don't spread conspiracy theory nonsense.
    lol sure the bbc are going to run it and panic people lol....something this serious would be hushed up at first not run on news at ten for gods sake
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    ·
    8m
    - 177 hospitalizations (moving average up to 169 - was 120 a week ago, up 41%)
    - 1170 beds occupied (was 884 a week ago, up 32%)
    - 5% rule still doing a decent enough job
    (though if you want some cope maybe the last day or two are a bit flatter)
  • Just an FYI if any of you ever meet John Bercow tell him that you're a huge fan of his and his political judgment, tell him you really liked his Monday Club days, when they supported apartheid and repatriation of darkies from the UK.

Very oddly shaped man. Large head, average sized body and little legs as I recall. Like a puppet on a string

source is an official tweet by ba mate

Cookie said:

This is ridiculous. @PBModerator
    when you have no arguments try to ban lol
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

Just an FYI if any of you ever meet John Bercow tell him that you're a huge fan of his and his political judgment, tell him you really liked his Monday Club days, when they supported apartheid and repatriation of darkies from the UK.

Very oddly shaped man. Large head, average sized body and little legs as I recall. Like a puppet on a string
    I remember one friend calling him "the Gollum of British politics. Small, stinking, and misshapen, yet strong, with a demonic inner drive."
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,683

malcolmg said:

FPT @Gallowgate
    Philip_Thompson said:

» show previous quotes
    Because they've paid for it and because all benefits should be universal and then they'll pay taxes on it anyway.

Means-tested benefits create the poverty trap so why encourage that?

Actually I’m paying for it. What they paid for was general government spending at the time.

Gallowgate, that is utter bollox. I have paid for 50 years for my poxy state pension and will never recoup a fraction of what they got from me. Hopefully they raise state pension age to 90 so you never get a sniff of it , would see if you are such a smartarse then. I paid for your education as well.

Blimey @Gallowgate , I didn't realise you went to Fettes?! And all that time you had an anonymous benevolent benefactor called Malcolm who desperately wanted a protégé that unlike him could string a coherent sentence or argument together. Blimey, sounds like the opening plot for a SeanT novel!
    Dumbo arrives on the scene like a bad smell.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    dixiedean said:

It was derided, certainly, by Tory supporters because they thought the Lib Dems could not possibly be that close.

I think the figures published were not far out. The Lib Dems were still making up ground. As a snapshot, the figures were accurate enough.

And then Lib Dem activists from all over the country really did pile in, to convince the waverers and finally to get the vote out.

Why do PB Conservatives always sneer at everything?
    Sounds like bad news for Starmer over at the Unite union election.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620

Cookie said:

You are spouting antivax bullshit

Ban hammer coming, I dare say. Moron.

You give our Government far more intelligence than I would give them

Cookie said:

Provide a source or stop trolling and spamming lies.

If its been officially confirmed by BA then surely you can quote that?

But then you're claiming its been denied by BA.

I'm guessing English isn't your first language which is why you've done that. Maybe confirmed and denied mean the same thing in Russian but they don't in English.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

TimT said:

I'll wait now for a proper translation.

However, EC knew about the UK priority before they signed; I am not sure what impact that has wrt the actual contract wording.
    Paragraphs 43 to 46 of the judgment deal with this. A covering letter from AZ mentioned that the EU would get doses from certain plants after the UK supply was fulfilled, but the contract itself, which is what the EU agreed to, made no mention of any restrictions on deliveries from those plants. AZ therefore was committed to "Best Reasonable Endeavours" (or whatever the phrase is in English) specifically from those plants
    Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    56m
    Can CONFIRM certain individuals making calls about a potential leadership bid in Labour. One contact isn’t sure Angela Rayner has nominations (unless Starmer resigns, then falls to 25).

“She may not have right or left of PLP”. Weird day to not be honest about Corbyn pic.(1/2)
    Better covid numbers today
    Received this from a whistleblower at BA:

"Regarding BA, I don't wanna be revealed but i work for BA and on Wednesday a flight arrived at Heathrow and the captain suffered a cardiac arrest upon landing the plane, not sure if he died or not."

lol sure the bbc are going to run it and panic people lol....something this serious would be hushed up at first not run on news at ten for gods sake

source is an official tweet by ba mate
    Covid and long covid have increased risks of blood clots, particularly dangerous for pilots who obviously fly around loads.

Cookie said:

Provide a source or stop trolling and spamming lies.

If its been officially confirmed by BA then surely you can quote that?

But then you're claiming its been denied by BA.

I'm guessing English isn't your first language which is why you've done that. Maybe confirmed and denied mean the same thing in Russian but they don't in English.
    the deaths have been confirmed by ba
    what they are denying is links to the vaccine
    does that make it clearer
    edited June 2021

"Regarding BA, I don't wanna be revealed but i work for BA and on Wednesday a flight arrived at Heathrow and the captain suffered a cardiac arrest upon landing the plane, not sure if he died or not."

From this account....which is full of anti-vax BS.

https://twitter.com/robinmonotti2/status/1405819393393762306?s=20

https://twitter.com/robinmonotti2
    edited June 2021
    Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin says 89% of new coronavirus cases in the capital are caused by the Delta variant

Major crisis incoming on Russia.

Moron.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,156
    Cookie said:

"Two men were arrested last night. A 25-year-old man was arrested for indecent exposure [i.e. being stark bollock naked for no readily apparent reason] in Hyde Park. He was taken into police custody before being cautioned and released.

Another man was arrested for the attempted theft of a police officer’s hat, assault with intent of avoiding arrest and assault of emergency worker. He was taken to a south London police station where he currently remains."

How do you know they were Scots? Just checking ...
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT @Gallowgate
    Philip_Thompson said:

» show previous quotes
    Because they've paid for it and because all benefits should be universal and then they'll pay taxes on it anyway.

Means-tested benefits create the poverty trap so why encourage that?

Actually I’m paying for it. What they paid for was general government spending at the time.

Gallowgate, that is utter bollox. I have paid for 50 years for my poxy state pension and will never recoup a fraction of what they got from me. Hopefully they raise state pension age to 90 so you never get a sniff of it , would see if you are such a smartarse then. I paid for your education as well.

Blimey @Gallowgate , I didn't realise you went to Fettes?! And all that time you had an anonymous benevolent benefactor called Malcolm who desperately wanted a protégé that unlike him could string a coherent sentence or argument together. Blimey, sounds like the opening plot for a SeanT novel!
    Dumbo arrives on the scene like a bad smell.
    Blimey, your one brain cell is working fast today. That rapier wit of Salmond's one and only remaining fan in full fury! Perhaps your brain doesn't really work that slowly? I know, were you desperately searching back over the last few hours to see if someone had "liked" one of your posts to no avail again? Never mind Malc., your loyalty to the man described by his QC as a bully and a sex pest will no doubt be rewarded by the great man one day I am sure!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    56m
    Can CONFIRM certain individuals making calls about a potential leadership bid in Labour. One contact isn’t sure Angela Rayner has nominations (unless Starmer resigns, then falls to 25).

“She may not have right or left of PLP”. Weird day to not be honest about Corbyn pic.(1/2)

That's the way to win B+S.
    FFS!

Cookie said:

You are spouting antivax bullshit

Ban hammer coming, I dare say. Moron.
    Let us hope so.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,182
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Does look that way !

No doubt about it. Some of the most enthusiastic Lib Dem voters this time were life long Tories. Some protest voting granted, but an awful lot were expressing visceral loathing of Boris and his motly crew. So I would say there is some reason to be concerned if you are a Tory. The Home Counties do not approve of the current lot and in sufficient numbers to cause major trouble at the next GE.
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

The Daily Mail used a Saltire to cover his wedding tackle.

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin says 89% of new coronavirus cases in the capital are caused by the Delta variant

Perhaps, though Russia must be getting close to naturally acquired herd immunity before too long.

Half a million excess deaths already by the end of March.

In the sense of? Is the growth in cases and hospitalisations slowing down?

I've only really had time to look at the headline numbers and the news from the three B's. The hospital data from Bedford currently look low and stable; Blackburn's total patient count is still going up but the admission rate shows signs of having levelled off; in Bolton, unfortunately, the hospital count has started to go back up again, albeit that it's still only a small fraction of previous waves.

At least the ramp in the hospital patient total for the country is still very gradual.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,156

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

What was he, a natural ginger?!
    edited June 2021

Putin's disinformation campaign over vaccines likely hasn't helped.

The party line has now changed.
    https://twitter.com/V2019N/status/1405891380006703113
    Officials in Russia, where vaccine hesitancy remains high, are ordering frontline workers to be vaccinated as the highly infectious Delta variant spreads.

Russia has reported a 50 percent increase in daily cases over the past two weeks
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,775
    isam said:

My assumption was the LDs would hold their vote, and get half the Lab vote, while the Cons would keep two-thirds of their vote. That would have resulted in a 20k Con vs 17k LD vote share.

The Conservatives lost more than half their vote and the LDs were up more than the "lost" Labour vote, so I reckon at least some Tories voted LD. Maybe not a massive number, but probably at least a couple of thousand.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    There is a pub in Chelmsford (The Ship Inn) which has a wonderful notice on a chalkboard outside re the social distancing rules

I think its fair to say they are not fans of Boris .......
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

What was he, a natural ginger?!
    I guess we’ll never know!

Really? Ventilator numbers still rising in the North East.
    edited June 2021
    Photobombed my arse....not exactly like Jezza was just wandering along in the background.

https://order-order.com/2021/06/18/rayners-photobomb-present-but-not-involved/

Personally, I wouldn't want to get too close to him, with him refusing to get vaccinated and all.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,683

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

ONS infection survey data doesn't look particularly alarming. Don't see how that series which measures all infections will hit anything like the Warwick predictions that were used to justify the lockdown extension.

It will be interesting to see how PCR positives trend over the next 10 days. I think we will be seeing the specimen date trend going down by then but the LFT rate steady or increasing as more people report asymptomatic infections and fewer report symptomatic COVID.

It will be very difficult to justify continued measures if PCR positives are trending downwards, but I'm sure the scientists will try and use LFTs to keep their restrictions going. I enjoyed Professor Pollard saying it was time to call and end to LFTs in schools, I think it's the right policy now that everyone is eligible to be vaccinated and by the start of the next school year all adults will have been called for both doses.

And in a beautiful moment for @CarlottaVance the England infection estimate is 1 in 520 whilst the Scotland figures is 1 in 600.

So yes, Nicola should have advised the Tartan army not to travel for their own safety.
    You sure about that?

In Scotland, the trend in the percentage of people testing positive remains uncertain in the week ending 12 June 2021; we estimate that 8,800 people in Scotland had COVID-19 (95% credible interval: 4,900 to 14,000) equating to around 1 in 600 people.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/18june2021

The upper estimate in Scotland is 1 in 380, England 1 in 440.
    :D , shown up yet again and has to resort to further fibs.
    Just been watching pictures of large groups of Scotland football fans down in London. Loads of them huddled together, singing enthusiastically, no masks. It's a big epidemiological experiment in the holding of multiple mass gatherings with no NPIs. The eventually outcome should prove enlightening.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756

Better but not great either. If case week-on-week growth rates remain around 30% then I'd remain concerned the government will delay lockdown easing, especially with the rate of hospitalisations (both new admissions and inpatients) picking up.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Nigelb said:

Putin's disinformation campaign over vaccines likely hasn't helped.

The party line has now changed.
    https://twitter.com/V2019N/status/1405891380006703113
    Officials in Russia, where vaccine hesitancy remains high, are ordering frontline workers to be vaccinated as the highly infectious Delta variant spreads.

Russia has reported a 50 percent increase in daily cases over the past two weeks
    /
    How many Russian fans travelled to the footie .........?
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

The policeman's hat nicker is Bertie McWooster AICMFP. What is probably unforgivable is not providing fans areas for the Scots. I get they did not want to encourage travel but now they are here...
    Alistair said:

Really? Ventilator numbers still rising in the North East.
    Was chatting to someone earlier today - group of 10 went to the pub, all 10 of them now have Covid.
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

I have a question.

In the US, airline pilots were among the very first to receive vaccines, and it essentially impossible for a pilot with one of the big three not to have been fully vaccinated (with an mRNA vaccines).

Domestic airline traffic is now up about 400% year-over and is almost back at prepandemic levels.

And yet none of the US airlines are reporting either (a) deaths of pilots or (b) any problems finding pilots for planes.

Given that US pilots were among the very first to be vaccinated in the US, this and that there are nine times as many commercial pilots in the US (85,000) as in the UK (9,000), this is very odd.

Is there something specific about British Airways? Or is this a completely made up story?
    A more pertinent question might be why @thespeaker was compelled to join PB solely for the purpose of peddling this dubious tale.
    All seems a bit futile.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

I wonder if the Sputnik vaccine can be tweaked or how effective it is against the delta variant.
This discussion has been closed.