Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Keir Starmer now slumps to Corbyn levels in the latest Ipsos leader ratings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

May really goes for the traffic light system, arguing the amber category is nonsensical and says ministers are giving mixed messaging

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1403010355358584840?s=20

She may have a point but she is really very bitter.

Sad really
    I don't think she is bitter (see her question at PMQs about Public Enquiry evidence) - what she has got is a lot of constituents that work in and around Heathrow and she's been consistent in her criticism of the government's approach to travel.
    The normally sensible @Big_G_NorthWales 's tendency to go ad hom (or fem) on Boris' critics is regrettable.
    It’s also odd as he spends half the time pretending he would be “content to see Boris go”.

With the occasional GBNews endorsement thrown in.
    I feel like I’ve missed something. What is the reason why GB News is vilified so much on these pages, when they haven’t even aired yet?
    I think because it is being endorsed generally by BBC-phobes. I just looked up the Wiki page and it looks as though it could be quite interesting as it has Andrew Neil as a contributor.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,211
    edited June 2021
    So just looking at the Euros wallchart, and it looks almost certain that we are better off coming second in our group to avoid the runner up from Group F (the Group of Death –France, Germany, Portugal!).

So a possible repeat of the scenario in the WC whereby we were trying to lose!

If we come second, we play the runner-up in Spain's group, which hopefully will not be Spain. (Sweden, Poland or Slovakia).

In the quarters we are likely to face a big hitter and a likely exit (France, Germany, Portugal or Spain), although in a bizarre twist of fate could end up playing our group-mate again!!

Wales have a got a potentially brilliant draw yet again.

• Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,946
    TOPPING said:

What's with all the redactions in the report?

I would presume they contain personally identifying information. Or maybe they contain testimony taken in confidence that refers to open criminal cases that have yet to come to court?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    Phil said:

TOPPING said:

What's with all the redactions in the report?

I would presume they contain personally identifying information. Or maybe they contain testimony taken in confidence that refers to open criminal cases that have yet to come to court?
    thx
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

So just looking at the Euros wallchart, and it looks almost certain that we are better off coming second in our group to avoid the runner up from Group F (the Group of Death –France, Germany, Portugal!).

If we come second, we play the runner-up in Spain's group, which hopefully will not be Spain. (Sweden, Poland or Slovakia).

In the quarters we are likely to face a big hitter and a likely exit (France, Germany, Portugal or Spain), although in a bizarre twist of fate could end up playing our group-mate again!!

England 2nd in the group, you are being very optimistic.....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    edited June 2021
    By the way, on topic, here is a classic PB thread from five years ago:

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/06/jeremy-corbyn-has-appointed-sir-keir-starmer-as-shadow-brexit-secreretary-and-the-tories-should-be-worried/

"Jeremy Corbyn has just brought a bazooka to a water pistol fight

Whilst the focus might be on the appointment of Diane Abbott as Shadow Home Secretary I think Jeremy Corbyn has pulled off a master stroke by appointing former Director of Public Prosecutions, Sir Keir Starmer, as Shadow Brexit Secretary.

... Sir Keir’s agile legal and forensic mind... Jeremy Corbyn might have just brought a bazooka to a water pistol fight. With Brexit going to dominate for a least the rest of this Parliament Corbyn is right to bring in the very best to cover this important role ..."
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,394

Taz said:

Taz said:

Cricket fans.

James Bracey is a pound shop Richard Blakey.

For context Richard Blakey averaged 1.75 with the bat in tests, yes one point seven five.

Non cricket fans.

James Bracey is the Keir Starmer of wicketkeepers.

Wasn’t he keeper on the shambolic 1993 tour to India ?

A pound shop Richard Blakey is really savage.
    He was, he was badly treated by the selectors, he was given his test debut with 30 minutes notice, then discarded after that shambolic tour.
    Athers tweeted a link to a three part YouTube documentary on that series. I will watch it sometime

It's a great series.

I really enjoyed it.
    Your recommendation is good enough for me. I’m on holiday next week. I will catch it then
  • Options

Nigelb said:

An article that is not about either Starmer or Boris.

A Crumpled, Dried-Out Relic of the Pandemic
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/06/office-return-apple/619131/

When I first saw that picture I thought someone had found Jeremy Corbyn's brain
    Jezza living rent free in your head by the looks of it.
    What a horrible thought. I tend to try and keep creepy little anti-Semites out of my head where possible thanks.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698

Luciana Berger ‘wasn’t hounded out of the Labour Party’ -

@jeremycorbyn92 at the Cambridge Union

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1403019870468464643

I liked this reply...

Corbyn at the Cambridge Union is a bit like entering a toddler with arm bands into the 400m butterfly at the Tokyo Olympics, surely?

The man is as thick as mince. Now if only he got himself a jab, so he was connected to Skynet, he might up his IQ by a few points.
    Well we did let in Richard Burgon.

He is is so dense light refracts around him
  • Options

England 2nd in the group, you are being very optimistic.....
    I didn't say I was predicting it, merely that it would be better than winning the group. In any case I reckon we will do better than people think on here. Two draws and a victory should be enough for second place I reckon.

Scotland's travelling support is limited to 2,600, which helps us.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Fishing said:

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/06/jeremy-corbyn-has-appointed-sir-keir-starmer-as-shadow-brexit-secreretary-and-the-tories-should-be-worried/

Whilst the focus might be on the appointment of Diane Abbott as Shadow Home Secretary I think Jeremy Corbyn has pulled off a master stroke by appointing former Director of Public Prosecutions, Sir Keir Starmer, as Shadow Brexit Secretary.

... Sir Keir’s agile legal and forensic mind... Jeremy Corbyn might have just brought a bazooka to a water pistol fight. With Brexit going to dominate for a least the rest of this Parliament Corbyn is right to bring in the very best to cover this important role ..."

You don't understand pastiche do you?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/04/russell-brand-endorsed-labour-tories-should-be-worried

Edit - selective quoting is naughty.

David Davis doesn’t exude confidence as Brexit Secretary, and he has been very publicly slapped down by Mrs May a few weeks ago, and the complexity of Brexit, Sir Keir’s agile legal and forensic mind, coupled with his experience as a barrister, it won’t be tears for Keir’s supporters, but tears for David Davis’ supporters. Jeremy Corbyn might have just brought a bazooka to a water pistol fight. With Brexit going to dominate for a least the rest of this Parliament Corbyn is right to bring in the very best to cover this important role as the government introduces the ‘great’ repeal bill.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,267

Downing Street say Lord David Frost wasn't at the Johnson-Biden bilat at the G7, despite his name appearing on official White House cast list.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1403017956444016644?s=20

Today we should have been questioning Lord Frost @CommonsDCMS Committee on post Brexit touring issues - he didn’t want to come and now has pulled out of appearing - parliamentary scrutiny is not an optional activity for Ministers - this contempt for democracy must stop
    https://twitter.com/KevinBrennanMP/status/1402868550742724611
  • Options

Nigelb said:

What a horrible thought. I tend to try and keep creepy little anti-Semites out of my head where possible thanks.
    I don’t think Jezza is, was or ever was an anti Semite. But some of his fellow travellers leave much to be desired.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,681
    Phil said:

Phil said:

NB. I’m not a lawyer, but the judgement in AEA vs EHRC seems to be in direct opposition to that given by Akua Reindorf in their U.of.Essex report. Their assertion that the Equalities Act doesn’t say what Stonewall said it does relies on the wording of the Equalities Act only applying to “gender reassignment” whereas the judgement in AEA vs EHRC appears to be clear that this definition has been expanded more widely by subsequent case law.

Happy to be corrected on this, but it seems to me that the cherry-picked quote that is being used to bash Stonewall is based on a misunderstanding of the law as currently applied.

NB. Having now read the relevant bits of Reindorf, it’s clear that they understand the the Equalities Act applied equally to trans people with & without a GRC.

It’s GC social media who are busily spreading carefully ambiguous mis-readings of Reindorf as part of the wider attempt to smear Stonewall.
    Does anyone else find this entire issue incomprehensible beyond the obvious?: Live and Let Live, Whatever You Are in Private Is Your Business and please don't let people with very obviously male sexual attributes into female changing rooms etc on the basis of their private judgement that they are in fact women? I am sure there is more but maybe I am too old to work it out.

• Options
    Also, looking at the schedule, I'm not sure I agree with people who say the tournament is bloated. Three matches every day on most days – what's not to like?

I also quite like the twist that you can theoretically end up replaying your groupmate before the final, and that the best third-place teams are a mix-up, which introduces a nice element of uncertainty to proceedings.

I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

May really goes for the traffic light system, arguing the amber category is nonsensical and says ministers are giving mixed messaging

Sad really
    I don't think she is bitter (see her question at PMQs about Public Enquiry evidence) - what she has got is a lot of constituents that work in and around Heathrow and she's been consistent in her criticism of the government's approach to travel.
    The normally sensible @Big_G_NorthWales 's tendency to go ad hom (or fem) on Boris' critics is regrettable.
    It’s also odd as he spends half the time pretending he would be “content to see Boris go”.

I would be happy to see Rishi takeover, and your comment re GBNews, without it even having been aired, seems a case of blind prejudice

I have held various senior offices in organisations and charities, (all non political), and whenever I left Office I made a point of never attacking my successor, as I accepted they would most likely do things differently and I did not want to be accused of 'sour grapes'

I say the same about Theresa
    Yes, but I assume you didn't have to leave office as a result of the backstabbing of your successor? I was never a great fan of TMay, but I hope she is a permanent thorn in Johnson's side. The lying, conniving, self-serving little git deserves nothing less.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

I don’t think Jezza is, was or ever was an anti Semite. But some of his fellow travellers leave much to be desired.
    O sancta simplicitas

• Options
    edited June 2021
    algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

NB. I’m not a lawyer, but the judgement in AEA vs EHRC seems to be in direct opposition to that given by Akua Reindorf in their U.of.Essex report. Their assertion that the Equalities Act doesn’t say what Stonewall said it does relies on the wording of the Equalities Act only applying to “gender reassignment” whereas the judgement in AEA vs EHRC appears to be clear that this definition has been expanded more widely by subsequent case law.

Happy to be corrected on this, but it seems to me that the cherry-picked quote that is being used to bash Stonewall is based on a misunderstanding of the law as currently applied.

NB. Having now read the relevant bits of Reindorf, it’s clear that they understand the the Equalities Act applied equally to trans people with & without a GRC.

It’s GC social media who are busily spreading carefully ambiguous mis-readings of Reindorf as part of the wider attempt to smear Stonewall.
    Does anyone else find this entire issue incomprehensible beyond the obvious?: Live and Let Live, Whatever You Are in Private Is Your Business and please don't let people with very obviously male sexual attributes into female changing rooms etc on the basis of their private judgement that they are in fact women? I am sure there is more but maybe I am too old to work it out.
    You should join me in my pledge never to comment on trans issues on PB. It is by far the more sane option if you don't have a dog in the fight. Oh and aren't worried about the collapse of Western civilisation.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,854
    His dad's barnet:

Lovely photos of Carrie, Jill and Wilfred

https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1403021797122002955?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,468

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Theresa May went proper anti-lockdown re international travel while I wasn't watching the Commons......
    ....."Last year in 2020 I went to Switzerland in Aug, S Korea in Sep, there was no vaccine, travel was possible; this year there is a vaccine, travel is not possible. I really do not understand the stance the govt is taking"......

"We will not eradicate Covid-19 in the UK; variants will keep on coming – if the govt's position is that we cannot open up travel until there are no new variants elsewhere in the world then we will never be able to travel abroad ever again".....

"The 3rd fact that the govt needs to state much more clearly is that sadly people will die from Covid here in the UK, as 10-20k do every year from flu, and we are falling behind the rest of Europe in our decisions to open up"

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1402992109137784835?s=20

She falls into that rare category of better ex-PM than PM. A sort of British Jimmy Carter.
    She appears, like Jeremy Hunt and a few others, to be providing more acute Opposition than the Labour Party.
    That's what happens when the opposition is useless.
    Blaming Labour for Tory failings now, are we? Nice one.
    I think we can. Labour has been a hopeless opposition since the Tories first took power after Brown. It isn't as though there are not decent Labour MPs, it is just that most are languishing on the back benches still. The reason we have Boris Johnson with such a huge majority is Labour ineptitude. The reason we have Boris Johnson is Labour, because if we didn't have Corbyn we would probably not have Johnson. They are two cheeks of the populist arse.
    You know I don't buy that narrative, Nigel. I think there was a big POSITIVE vote at GE19 not only for Brexit but for Johnson too. It was the 'BBC' election and in that order. Brexit 1st, "Boris" 2nd, Corbyn 3rd. Although of course these were related. Brexit gave Johnson much of his appeal and cost Corbyn much of his.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Cricket fans.

For context Richard Blakey averaged 1.75 with the bat in tests, yes one point seven five.

Non cricket fans.

He was, he was badly treated by the selectors, he was given his test debut with 30 minutes notice, then discarded after that shambolic tour.
    Athers tweeted a link to a three part YouTube documentary on that series. I will watch it sometime

It's a great series.

I really enjoyed it.
    Your recommendation is good enough for me. I’m on holiday next week. I will catch it then
    Sky do some pretty good cricket documentaries.

The Pictures From Paradise series was awesome, about England's tour to the West Indies in 1990 which was the first overseas tour to be shown in full in the UK
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725

Leon said:

The Anglo-Saxons have been cancelled

‘I have hit that point in book-writing where I need to decide what to call the Anglo-Saxons.’

https://twitter.com/cath_fletcher/status/1402926308326268928?s=21

It’s not clear what this means, is it supposed to be woke?

Perhaps historians have realised that there were few Angles and no Saxons, so the name is simply inaccurate, rather than being (as you seem to suggest) a label so hideously drenched in whiteness it can no longer be voiced without oral disinfectant.
    Are you incapable of googling? IT’S BORING HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT IN SHORT WORDS TO THE DIM

Yes, it’s been cancelled for exactly that reason. It is associated with white supremacism in America, and, as ever, their madness has crossed the Atlantic.

https://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/misnaming-the-medieval-rejecting-anglo-saxon-studies/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/09/20/anglo-saxon-studies-group-says-it-will-change-its-name-amid-bigger-complaints-about

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drop-the-term-anglo-saxon-as-it-is-bound-up-with-white-supremacy-say-academics-d66dlztfj
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sad really

I would be happy to see Rishi takeover, and your comment re GBNews, without it even having been aired, seems a case of blind prejudice

I have held various senior offices in organisations and charities, (all non political), and whenever I left Office I made a point of never attacking my successor, as I accepted they would most likely do things differently and I did not want to be accused of 'sour grapes'

I think she's remarkably restrained all things considered.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,571
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

I need to stay off Twitter

I bet the government are regretting ever having her anywhere near a SAGE committee.
    She can fuck off to North Korea and stay there.
    If someone does go to North Korea they may not have much of a choice about staying there forever.
    Clearly an eccentric as she wants to be on SAGE and indie SAGE at same time. Bonkers.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

‘I have hit that point in book-writing where I need to decide what to call the Anglo-Saxons.’

Perhaps historians have realised that there were few Angles and no Saxons, so the name is simply inaccurate, rather than being (as you seem to suggest) a label so hideously drenched in whiteness it can no longer be voiced without oral disinfectant.
    Someone calling himself Axel Folio thinks that "Anglo-Saxon" is racist. I can't see what the issue is supposed to be.
    Can you believe not a single thane identified as trans?
    The word bædling suggests that might not have been true.
    In New Zealand some have used the acronym LGBTTFIQ, which stands for “lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, takatāpui, fa’afafine, intersex or queer”, as some believe that “lesbian”, “gay” etc are colonial impositions of gender or sexual definition.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,454
    edited June 2021

Nigelb said:

Sad really

Are you comparing your roles to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

L
    O
    L

My roles saw tens of thousands of pounds raised for local children and also for education

Why do you take every opportunity to make irrational attacks on me

I know I am not as clever as you, nor as important to this forum, but I try to contribute as well as I can

• Options
    A usually sober analyst of these numbers thinks 21st is off now:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    By Specimen Date, June 7th is already 69% up, & room for more to be added. Can't see Step 4 proceeding on time, tbh. There'd need to have been at least a week of R falling. Ain't gonna happen now.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

His pretence that he hadn't noticed the mural was anti-Semitic was proof enough for me. There were other instances too. This article https://www.timesofisrael.com/document-lists-9-instances-of-anti-semitism-by-corbyn-among-thousands-in-labour/ , which while obviously pro-Israeli gives other examples. I am in little doubt. If he isn't an anti_Semite he is even more stupid than I thought, because someone who has been in politics as long as he has been knows the importance of how language and actions can be interpreted. He clearly did not care.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

You should join me in my pledge never to comment on trans issues on PB. It is by far the more sane option if you don't have a dog in the fight. Oh and aren't worried about the collapse of Western civilisation.

If you’re a woman, you have a dog in this fight. Indeed, a pussy
  • Options
    Eating each other...

Mere months later, Reply All was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. At the start of 2021, it launched a spin-off miniseries called The Test Kitchen, which focused on the allegedly toxic and racist workplace culture at the food magazine Bon Appétit. However, after only two episodes had been released, a former colleague accused the team behind The Test Kitchen of promulgating a similar environment at Gimlet Media, the company that makes Reply All.

Vogt and Sruthi Pinnamaneni, a Reply All producer and the host of The Test Kitchen, were singled out, alleged to have actively opposed attempts to diversify and unionise within the company. The pair were placed on leave from Gimlet (and subsequently left Reply All), The Test Kitchen was scrapped and production on Reply All paused.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/10/reply-all-when-podcasts-go-sour-can-shows-come-back-from-scandal
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nigelb said:

Sad really

Are you comparing your roles to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

L
    O
    L
    I do think Theresa May is making a mistake.

Interventions by an ex PM can be very powerful and effective. But I think she liked the applause that she got the first time she criticised Boris and has mistakenly believed it is rehabilitating her reputation.

It isn't.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Someone calling himself Axel Folio thinks that "Anglo-Saxon" is racist. I can't see what the issue is supposed to be.
    In New Zealand some have used the acronym LGBTTFIQ, which stands for “lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, takatāpui, fa’afafine, intersex or queer”, as some believe that “lesbian”, “gay” etc are colonial impositions of gender or sexual definition.
    What about the kinksters?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,454

Nigelb said:

Sad really

Yes, but I assume you didn't have to leave office as a result of the backstabbing of your successor? I was never a great fan of TMay, but I hope she is a permanent thorn in Johnson's side. The lying, conniving, self-serving little git deserves nothing less.
    I suppose that is the difference between just getting on with things and politics
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Nothing to see here. Just Peter Daszak, of the Wuhan lab, calmly chatting about his Chinese colleagues doing gain-of-function research on SARS-like bugs, so they become more pathogenic to humans. In the end, he says, you get “killer coronaviruses”. His exact phrase

Video from 2015

https://thenationalpulse.com/exclusive/daszak-reveals-chinese-colleagues-manipulating-coronaviruses/

Almost as bad as Ron Fouchier saying at the Malta conference "someone finally convinced me to do something really, really stupid"
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Sad really

L
    O
    L

Interventions by an ex PM can be very powerful and effective. But I think she liked the applause that she got the first time she criticised Boris and has mistakenly believed it is rehabilitating her reputation.

It isn't.
    She's looking at the long picture.

She knows Boris Johnson is causing all sorts of terrible long precedents for the party and the country.
  • Options
    Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    20m
    About bloody time!!! Only took them a year to do it...

NHS told to identify patients actually sick from Covid-19 separately to those testing positive

At last!!! Wonder what has bought this bout of common sense on?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

What about that cricket, eh?
  • Options

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sad really

I feel like I’ve missed something. What is the reason why GB News is vilified so much on these pages, when they haven’t even aired yet?
    I think because it is being endorsed generally by BBC-phobes. I just looked up the Wiki page and it looks as though it could be quite interesting as it has Andrew Neil as a contributor.
    I am pro BBC absolutely and pro GB News as a concept. The BBC is under threat from itself as it has no serious competition from the thoughtful centre right so tends towards a slightly lazy and conventional view of the world, and a terrible concept of balance where instead of using its massive, unique resource to research and present facts it will find two half witted people on 'different sides' to share their ignorance with us as if that that does just as well.

And far too many of its interviewers are unprepared, unbriefed and don't know how to examine systematically and forensically.

They also broadcast huge chunks of politicians material just because it is there, and not because it actually contributes to the sum of human knowledge.

• Options
    Opposition MPs have called on the home secretary to resign after documents suggested she misled parliament over her decision to house asylum seekers at Kent's controversial Napier Barracks.

Health officials, inspectors and a High Court judge have examined concerns dormitory use led to a Covid outbreak.

Priti Patel said in February that "use of the accommodation was all based on Public Health England (PHE) advice".

However, a Home Office email said PHE advice viewed dorms as unsuitable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-57432760
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Theresa May went proper anti-lockdown re international travel while I wasn't watching the Commons......
    ....."Last year in 2020 I went to Switzerland in Aug, S Korea in Sep, there was no vaccine, travel was possible; this year there is a vaccine, travel is not possible. I really do not understand the stance the govt is taking"......

"We will not eradicate Covid-19 in the UK; variants will keep on coming – if the govt's position is that we cannot open up travel until there are no new variants elsewhere in the world then we will never be able to travel abroad ever again".....

"The 3rd fact that the govt needs to state much more clearly is that sadly people will die from Covid here in the UK, as 10-20k do every year from flu, and we are falling behind the rest of Europe in our decisions to open up"

She falls into that rare category of better ex-PM than PM. A sort of British Jimmy Carter.
    She appears, like Jeremy Hunt and a few others, to be providing more acute Opposition than the Labour Party.
    I think we can. Labour has been a hopeless opposition since the Tories first took power after Brown. It isn't as though there are not decent Labour MPs, it is just that most are languishing on the back benches still. The reason we have Boris Johnson with such a huge majority is Labour ineptitude. The reason we have Boris Johnson is Labour, because if we didn't have Corbyn we would probably not have Johnson. They are two cheeks of the populist arse.
    You know I don't buy that narrative, Nigel. I think there was a big POSITIVE vote at GE19 not only for Brexit but for Johnson too. It was the 'BBC' election and in that order. Brexit 1st, "Boris" 2nd, Corbyn 3rd. Although of course these were related. Brexit gave Johnson much of his appeal and cost Corbyn much of his.
    Corbyn mismanaged the response of the opposition to Brexit at every level, and pretty much everything else. He was hopeless. The people that supported putting such a dimwit in as LoTO are essentially useful idiots to the supporters of Johnson's populists.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,451

Corbyn really is an appallingly stupid animal.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

According to "The Life of Brian" in New Testament times there was a bloke called Stan who wanted to be known as Loretta. Another part of that movie that would probably be censored now I guess.
    Many of Shakespeare's comedies are about cross-dressing, sometimes more than once. Also for the chop nowadays.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Nigelb said:

Sad really

It's not the same thing. Boris outranks by virtue of being PM, but they are both MPs as well. If she thinks the PM should be criticised, that comes above fear of displaying sour grapes.

It would be a far bigger problem were May to stop commenting on things to avoid accusations of sour grapes (warranted or not), or that former PMs feel they can have no place in the Commons or Lords.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Are you incapable of googling? IT’S BORING HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT IN SHORT WORDS TO THE DIM

Yes, it’s been cancelled for exactly that reason. It is associated with white supremacism in America, and, as ever, their madness has crossed the Atlantic.

https://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/misnaming-the-medieval-rejecting-anglo-saxon-studies/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/09/20/anglo-saxon-studies-group-says-it-will-change-its-name-amid-bigger-complaints-about

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drop-the-term-anglo-saxon-as-it-is-bound-up-with-white-supremacy-say-academics-d66dlztfj
    No, I don’t have the time or inclination to Google the lesser stretches of wokedom; that’s your job.

I just ask you to add a little more context for those of use who aren’t following the world war woke tweet by painstaking tweet.
  • Options
    Nice.

Wembley is on the brink of being almost half full for the knock-out stages of the European Championship - regardless of the Prime Minister's lockdown update next week.

Senior figures within sport and Whitehall are in advanced talks around signing off measures which will ensure the home of English football can scale up numbers even if "freedom day" is delayed. With the Delta variant first identified in India now comprising 91 per cent of cases of coronavirus in the UK, the Government is expected to decide next week whether to proceed with a further easing of restrictions in England on June 21.

However, the FA is set to be reassured that Wembley can remain on track to boost numbers from the 22,500 crowd levels that have already been given the green light for the group stages. Just 15 cases of Covid-19 emerged among 58,000 people who took part in sport and arts test events - and no infections at all took place during the FA Cup final at Wembley.

Buoyed by the results, senior figures within sport and Whitehall are hopeful of giving assurances imminently that the national stadium can welcome around 40,000 spectators by the knock-out stages.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-2021/2021/06/10/exclusive-wembley-close-receiving-permission-50-per-cent-capacity/
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,217
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

I am sure that womankind will sleep easy, knowing that such a stalwart ally is fighting their corner.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,907
    edited June 2021
    algarkirk said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

Sad really

I am pro BBC absolutely and pro GB News as a concept. The BBC is under threat from itself as it has no serious competition from the thoughtful centre right so tends towards a slightly lazy and conventional view of the world, and a terrible concept of balance where instead of using its massive, unique resource to research and present facts it will find two half witted people on 'different sides' to share their ignorance with us as if that that does just as well.

And far too many of its interviewers are unprepared, unbriefed and don't know how to examine systematically and forensically.

They also broadcast huge chunks of politicians material just because it is there, and not because it actually contributes to the sum of human knowledge.

BBC should do two days of the week, every week, where the main news is only positive stories. If something bad is happening, focus on the good things being done to resolve whatever is bad.

The nation would be happier, and actually have a more balanced opinion of what is happening in the world.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,058
    Fishing said:

Blimey. It’s the decision that’s fooked them for a decade!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sadly occluded, in an act of near-fascist airbrushing.
  • Options

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Sad really

L
    O
    L

It isn't.

She knows Boris Johnson is causing all sorts of terrible long precedents for the party and the country.
    Nah. She's just not very good at politics.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,775
    edited June 2021
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Sure looks that way. I'm going to donate to them.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

He's an interesting figure, in that on a personal level he seems very mild, humble and agreeable, but he has a rigid kind of arrogant blindness that prevents him from accepting responsibility for any of his own actions or words. Whenever he has seemed to, later words show he did not mean it (or vice versa - see his comments that led to his suspension, where he later claimed to have meant the opposite of what he said in a prepared statement).
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

According to "The Life of Brian" in New Testament times there was a bloke called Stan who wanted to be known as Loretta. Another part of that movie that would probably be censored now I guess.
    Many of Shakespeare's comedies are about cross-dressing, sometimes more than once. Also for the chop nowadays.
    Well I'm surprised The Merchant of Venice wasn't cancelled years ago.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Corbyn mismanaged the response of the opposition to Brexit at every level, and pretty much everything else. He was hopeless. The people that supported putting such a dimwit in as LoTO are essentially useful idiots to the supporters of Johnson's populists.
    Corbyn has always supported leave and it is ludicrous to think his mind was changed. If he had had a damascene conversion he would have made it clear. He didn't. He has achieved in this regard what he set out to do. It is the only solitary decent outcome to his miserable, anti semitic, terror supporting credit. Like the way that Gollum's survival was somehow essential to .... (plot spoiler).

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

don't let people with very obviously male sexual attributes into female changing rooms etc on the basis of their private judgement that they are in fact women?
    That could have you labeled a "TERF" "Trans-exclusive-radical-feminist".

The issue is some people think some spaces should be natal-sex exclusive - eg Women's refuges, women's prisons - only for people who were born women.

Others see that as discriminatory against trans-sexual people. The issue has gained added controversy with the Gender Recognition act - where people can "self declare" their gender, and argue that a natal-male should have access to natal-female only spaces, however far (or not) they have gone down the transition road.

Given the horrendously long waiting lists for people seeking to transition, I have some sympathy with their plight - what reduces that sympathy is the vitriol of some of their supporters.
  • Options
    England PCR

• Options

Eating each other...

Mere months later, Reply All was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. At the start of 2021, it launched a spin-off miniseries called The Test Kitchen, which focused on the allegedly toxic and racist workplace culture at the food magazine Bon Appétit. However, after only two episodes had been released, a former colleague accused the team behind The Test Kitchen of promulgating a similar environment at Gimlet Media, the company that makes Reply All.

Vogt and Sruthi Pinnamaneni, a Reply All producer and the host of The Test Kitchen, were singled out, alleged to have actively opposed attempts to diversify and unionise within the company. The pair were placed on leave from Gimlet (and subsequently left Reply All), The Test Kitchen was scrapped and production on Reply All paused.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/10/reply-all-when-podcasts-go-sour-can-shows-come-back-from-scandal

Ever see that simpsons episode where they all have buzzers with which to electrocute each other? This is the world today. People trying to prove everyone else is a bigot and, coincidentally, take their place on the ladder.

• Options

Opposition MPs have called on the home secretary to resign after documents suggested she misled parliament over her decision to house asylum seekers at Kent's controversial Napier Barracks.

Health officials, inspectors and a High Court judge have examined concerns dormitory use led to a Covid outbreak.

Priti Patel said in February that "use of the accommodation was all based on Public Health England (PHE) advice".

In theory can't you be based on but not follow advice?

PHE "Yes you can use ex military camps, but dorms are bad"... using an ex military camp but deciding to use a dorm is still based on advice...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    UK cases summary

• Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Nothing to see here. Just Peter Daszak, of the Wuhan lab, calmly chatting about his Chinese colleagues doing gain-of-function research on SARS-like bugs, so they become more pathogenic to humans. In the end, he says, you get “killer coronaviruses”. His exact phrase

Video from 2015

https://thenationalpulse.com/exclusive/daszak-reveals-chinese-colleagues-manipulating-coronaviruses/

Almost as bad as Ron Fouchier saying at the Malta conference "someone finally convinced me to do something really, really stupid"
    It feels like a bit of a smoking gun to me. He plainly admits ‘gain of function’ research to make even nastier SARS-like pathogens. And he really does say ‘they made killer coronaviruses’

Gee, thanks Peter. Nice

Also note the woman standing next to him. Authoritative voices on Twitter say that is Amy Maxmen. Who is she? Just the woman who writes all these articles for Nature either trying to squash the lab leak hypothesis or sow confusion about it. Including this piece NigelB eagerly linked yesterday.

Yep. There she is. Amy Maxmen. Again

@amymaxmen

Let's kick the tires on speculative arguments about a #LabLeak of Covid-19.

@SmritiMallapaty & I talked with virologists about what's possible, what's fishy & what's not.

eg David Baltimore's mistaken phrase "smoking gun"

https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1402376072029642764?s=21

It’s a tiny cabal of scientists and journalists trying to lie to the whole world
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I once wrote a Panto. Not sure that would be easy now.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I had forgotten that the kinksters were now standing up for their right to air a grievance.

Can’t wait until I’m forced to suggest a mild interest in “brats” and “foot torture” in my LinkedIn profile*

*This is meant to be a joke.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    edited June 2021
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

don't let people with very obviously male sexual attributes into female changing rooms etc on the basis of their private judgement that they are in fact women?

The issue is some people think some spaces should be natal-sex exclusive - eg Women's refuges, women's prisons - only for people who were born women.

Others see that as discriminatory against trans-sexual people. The issue has gained added controversy with the Gender Recognition act - where people can "self declare" their gender, and argue that a natal-male should have access to natal-female only spaces, however far (or not) they have gone down the transition road.

Given the horrendously long waiting lists for people seeking to transition, I have some sympathy with their plight - what reduces that sympathy is the vitriol of some of their supporters.
    The vitriol of their opponents is a wonder to behold too.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Well I'm surprised The Merchant of Venice wasn't cancelled years ago.
    Twelfth Night suggests that women need to disguise themselves as men to get what they want so it is very right on
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,370

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    20m

NHS told to identify patients actually sick from Covid-19 separately to those testing positive

I do wonder...
  • Options

Taz said:

Nigelb said:

His pretence that he hadn't noticed the mural was anti-Semitic was proof enough for me.
    Defended on here by some who claimed the same. The problem was that he defended himself on the basis he hadn't paid close enough attention to it (IIRC), not that he disagreed it was antisemitic once he paid more attention. AKA the Duffy paradox
  • Options
    isam said:

Fishing said:

Blimey. It’s the decision that’s fooked them for a decade!
    Probably, although in fairness they weren't exactly drowning in talent as it was.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Corbyn has always supported leave and it is ludicrous to think his mind was changed. If he had had a damascene conversion he would have made it clear. He didn't. He has achieved in this regard what he set out to do. It is the only solitary decent outcome to his miserable, anti semitic, terror supporting credit. Like the way that Gollum's survival was somehow essential to .... (plot spoiler).

Whilst disagreeing that it was a good outcome, I do like your Gollum metaphor.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,635
    edited June 2021

I'm sure nothing will come of this, as usual. But as well as the use of the Barracks being ruled illegal, Patel blatantly lied about this in the HoC earlier this week, repeating the fiction that PHE advice was followed at all times. This isn't mentioned in the BBC report that you link to, and wasn't picked up here or elsewhere. Boris won't be bothered, but the Speaker may be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He's an interesting figure, in that on a personal level he seems very mild, humble and agreeable, but he has a rigid kind of arrogant blindness that prevents him from accepting responsibility for any of his own actions or words. Whenever he has seemed to, later words show he did not mean it (or vice versa - see his comments that led to his suspension, where he later claimed to have meant the opposite of what he said in a prepared statement).
    Passive aggressive, straight out of the passive aggressive textbook.

• Options
    Age related data

I've managed to twiddle some things and get case data in 5 year increments...

• Options
    Age related data scaled to 100k population per group

• Options
    Dominic Cummings has launched a Substack and will offer exclusive insights into life in No10 and his thoughts on Westminster for subscribers (£10 a month or £100 a year)

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1403028437166592001?s=21
  • Options
    Vaccinations

The fall in second vaccinations is interesting - supply? or is it that we are in the state where the requirement for second vaccinations has slackened, and first appointments haven't been ramped up to match?

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

A usually sober analyst of these numbers thinks 21st is off now:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    By Specimen Date, June 7th is already 69% up, & room for more to be added. Can't see Step 4 proceeding on time, tbh. There'd need to have been at least a week of R falling. Ain't gonna happen now.

The point is that at a rate of growth of 69%, even if reopening didn't increase it, by late July we would breach the January peak in the rate of hospital admissions, even allowing for the fact that a smaller percentage of positive tests are resulting in hospitalisation.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Eating each other...

Ever see that simpsons episode where they all have buzzers with which to electrocute each other? This is the world today. People trying to prove everyone else is a bigot and, coincidentally, take their place on the ladder.

The workers at Bon Appetit eat themselves as well. The "scandal" started off because they had a grievance against a senior employee and somebody published a photo of them at a party years before "browned" as a Latino gangster.

But then it snow balled in this person gets paid more than me, that person only gets on camera because they are insert white / man / etc....

Eventually they held an independent inquiry and found the pay issue wasn't true and in terms of camera time, there were some very clear "stars" on that channel, which got massively more views on YouTube than others. But it all became massively toxic and basically only one of the star names stayed.

The Bon Appetit channel used to get many millions of views per video, now outside on one of the original "cast" members who was super popular, many videos only do 100-200k.

They have literally shot their own golden goose.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,275

Dominic Cummings has launched a Substack and will offer exclusive insights into life in No10 and his thoughts on Westminster for subscribers (£10 a month or £100 a year)

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1403028437166592001?s=21

Is the basic tier called Classic Dom?
  • Options

Fishing said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

I once wrote a Panto. Not sure that would be easy now.
    I doubt you’ll write another. It’s behind you.
    Oh no it's not!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Have they tried to get people sacked too?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Interesting UAP related interview from the Washington Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcH5nuqa-0w
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I'd missed this debate. Its a pretty good argument to defund universities.
  • Options
    Is it me or is revival of newsletters a bit weird. Its all rather early 2000s.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    20m

Chortle.

Excellent.

I predict a sharp fall in “cases”!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044

dixiedean said:

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Yes.
    And needing police protection, too.
  • Options
    Going to be some sore heads tomorrow of those at the cricket.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,662

Vaccinations

The fall in second vaccinations is interesting - supply? or is it that we are in the state where the requirement for second vaccinations has slackened, and first appointments haven't been ramped up to match?

Well, 3 months ago was mid-March, which was that massive lump of first doses on your splendid graph. A simple (1st dose + 3 months) model would imply there are still a few more heavy weeks to do, but if some of those have been brought forward...

My working theory is that we're now supply-limited on Pfizer/Moderna and demand-limited on AZ.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

The Con landslide came from the Parliament vs People narrative. That narrative was enabled by Remainer hardcore resistance culminating in the Benn Act. A terrible error, but not primarily Corbyn's.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Cricket fans.

Non cricket fans.

It's a great series.

I really enjoyed it.
    Sky do some pretty good cricket documentaries.

The Pictures From Paradise series was awesome, about England's tour to the West Indies in 1990 which was the first overseas tour to be shown in full in the UK

Never realised that. We do owe Sky Sports when it comes to cricket coverage.

I caught some of the Zimbabwe-Afghanistan series on an obscure channel and they had ads in between each ball !
  • Options
    COVID Summary

It's hard to tell - might be that increases are slowing down. Though we've had pauses in the increases before.

Hmmm

The case by age with the five year groups is interesting.

05-09 - flat or falling since the 29th
    10-14 - flat or falling since the 29th

The rising ages for cases are very strongly correlated to vaccination rates - the younger (and hence less jabbed) the steeper the increase.

The pattern continues for admissions

• Options

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Sad really

L
    O
    L

It isn't.

It seems to me more likely that instead of all the 'terrible precedents' and David Allen Green (great though he is) chuntering being true, the reality is that in 2019 we had got ourselves into a complete mess, in which neither whole truth nor pure democracy was going to help us, but a certain style of leadership and political genius might just do it. Cometh the hour and all that. Like 1979. Normally the last thing you need is someone like Mrs T running the outfit, but we did then. The great British public had no intention of letting WSC run the country except in 1940. 2019 was not a 1940 (thank God) but it was another 1979.

Question: Which UK politician has the skills necessary to get us out of the NI protocols disaster before it turns to serious violence?

• Options
    One thing you can be certain about subbing to Big Doms Substack, you certainly get value for money when it comes to words / £.
  • Options
    Asked if he might have to raise wages in order to attract a chef, the Peterborough pub owner pauses for a moment, before admitting “it might come to that.”

https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1403024734799994887?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

algarkirk said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

Yes.
    And needing police protection, too.
    I was very pro trans until I read the cotton ceiling and that tempered it somewhat.

I just wish the trans brigade could try to come to some sort of accommodation with feminists instead of just steamrollering them.

It’s a toxic debate and that’s all I have to say.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,275
    algarkirk said:

It seems to me more likely that instead of all the 'terrible precedents' and David Allen Green (great though he is) chuntering being true, the reality is that in 2019 we had got ourselves into a complete mess, in which neither whole truth nor pure democracy was going to help us, but a certain style of leadership and political genius might just do it. Cometh the hour and all that. Like 1979. Normally the last thing you need is someone like Mrs T running the outfit, but we did then. The great British public had no intention of letting WSC run the country except in 1940. 2019 was not a 1940 (thank God) but it was another 1979.

Question: Which UK politician has the skills necessary to get us out of the NI protocols disaster before it turns to serious violence?

Truss?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

The Con landslide came from the Parliament vs People narrative. That narrative was enabled by Remainer hardcore resistance culminating in the Benn Act. A terrible error, but not primarily Corbyn's.
    I think that's right. Corbyn just didn't care that much about our place in the EU. But it is somewhat of a handicap, when you're leader of the opposition, not to care about the dominating issue of the day.
This discussion has been closed.