Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A reminder that the polling mode can impact the result – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kinabalu said:

Banner headlines of Matt Hancock saying "I don't rule out" and "I'm open to" delaying the roadmap. I don't get this at all. This is precisely zero change to what the position has always been. The final 'unlock' is penciled in for 21st June but such will not be confirmed until 14th June.

So the Cock is bound to say he's "open to" and "doesn't rule out" a delay. If he said otherwise he'd be admitting the decision is already made and rather than "data not dates" it's the opposite. Now THAT would be big news. But why does the Cock saying what he obviously has to say merit being big news?

The mood music has changed though. 21 June used to be an end to all legal restrictions (with the implicit exception of international travel).

Now it is a possible end to most/some restrictions, with a possible delay.

An end to all legal restrictions won't happen, even if further loosening of restrictions does.
    I will take one for the team and continue home working ....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

Blair was also very clear that we vaccinate our people first. Nandy saying it’s not an either or...

She is clearly an idiot then because in terms of timing it has to be either/or.
    As we are trying to identify the idiots, where do you actually draw line with “our people first?”

With Johnson’s desire to vaccinate the world before end Q4 2022, I suspect big movement from him in next few weeks on the stockpiling UK has been building.

The UK has no choice really, global pandemic we really are all in it together, we need reciprocality on range of other issues too we won’t get if we are responsibility for creating long lasting frustration and anger.

Ask yourself, do you want 12 years olds in UK to get the vaccine before adults in Africa?
    Your answer has to be no, does it not?
    Didn't you predict that the government would give away all the vaccines to the third world after over 50s had received their first dose ?
    And I was right about the impression of greedily sitting on a stockpile would cause longer term where we NEED something in return.
    So you were wrong.

And given there is no stockpile you're wrong about that as well.
    But rich countries have a pipeline of more than they need whilst poorer countries are projected to be short. Is it right for the wealthy to be having boosters and vaccinating their children whilst the poor go whistle? This is a valid question, both morally and also pragmatically since this is a global pandemic which (arguably) should be addressed that way.
    I'm sure Britain will be donating millions of AZ every week very soon.

And when Novavax and Valneva become available I'm sure millions of those will be donated.

But if anyone wishes to speed up the date of donation then its within their choice not to accept any boosters.
    Yes, good points - bar the final sentence which is the usual reductive personalizing drivel.
    Its the reality.

We can all virtue signal about how the country should be sharing vaccines or paying more tax.

But how many people chose to make the sacrifice themselves ?
    No, it's weak, bad faith argument. It's a misuse of what hypocrite means and it stacks the deck unfairly against anybody arguing for a policy that would disadvantage them. It's an absolute bugbear of mine. No time for it, Richard, so it's a waste of breath going on about it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    PB Brains trust

All 3 of the UKs Cinema chains have no films listed for Friday and beyond

VUE, Odeon and Cineworld all saying no screenings

Any ideas why??

Cineworld would usually have listings by now not sure about other 2??
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited June 2021

Much better vaccination numbers for England:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

Hopefully the increase will continue next week.

Because people started returning from their half term holidays on Friday.....
    I can't understand the logic of people, it takes 30 mins for the whole process of getting jabbed (and you can pick anywhere in the England).
    But you might feel rough for three days afterwards, so might as well not risk it whilst on holiday
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,841

PB Brains trust

Any ideas why??

Aliens (or dolphins) block booked them to announce their take over of the planet?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

The Spectator has found a flaw in the G7 tax accord, and reckons companies will aim to make less than the 10 per cent profit specified.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-g7-tax-deal-is-an-unworkable-mess (£££)

Come to think of it, wasn't Amazon notorious for not making a profit – after aggressive reinvestment?

That was my thought when I saw the threshold - whether it would actually be financially optimal for companies to reduce their profits below the threshold, compared to making more and paying the tax? That you can massage the profit figure downwards makes the risks worse.
    The Italians have a saying for it - "Fatta la legge. Trovato l'inganno".

(As soon as a law is passed, loopholes are found.)

Anyway, I see from today's Times that Dido Harding wants to become Head of the NHS. FFS!

Also for @Leon, I second @NickPalmer's recommendation of Outlander -
    ("You might actually like Outlander 1-2 (Netflix, which I caught up with recently) - basically about historical romp around the Scottish clans, Bonnie Prince Charlie etc. Because it's got a plucky heroine and a dashing highlander, it was initially written off as Mills & Boon stuff, but it cheerfully through time travel, fantasy, satire, brutality, and some really good acting into the mix, and it's really very good. Try a couple of installments to get the flavour.")

I've only just started it - Daughter has been learning Gaelic during lockdown so she wanted to hear it spoken - but am really enjoying it. It is very well acted, draws you into the story and has also made me interested in Scottish history for that period about which I don't know much.

In other news am taking said Daughter for a spa day in Keswick later for her day off, a much delayed Xmas present from 2019. Mud baths, massages, facials etc - the lot. We - well her, certainly - will look very fetching should any dashing highlanders be around.

Have a fun day all.
    Outlander should be banned.

You used to be able to troll up to Glenbrittle campsite on Skye for a week and share the midge infested swamp with a few other climbers and nutters. Peace and quiet except for the haunting sound of the Black-throated divers in the distance and the patter of rain on your tent.

Now there's hundreds of idiots turning up (pre- pandemic, at least) who seem to think that passing places are for parking in and thus end up blocking the glen from one end to the other.

All because a daft TV programme featured a couple of small waterfalls of the type you can find anywhere in Scotland (admittedly missing Waterpipe Gully as the background, but still).

Ugh. Visiting the Cuillin Hills will never be the same again.

/rant
    I hope that it doesn't end up with the devastation wrought by The Beach on it's featured... beach.
    Similar but in a slightly different way, yes. There were supposedly 108,000 visitors to the "Fairy Pools" the year before the pandemic.

Previously you'd have been lucky to see 100 a week, even in summer, and 90% of those would have just have been walking past on the way to the mountains. The type of people that would tut at some orange peel, not leave litter everywhere. There was _zero_ infrastructure except for a small car park holding maybe 20 odd cars. Even loos would have been regarded as inappropriate development.

The Allt Coir' a' Mhadaidh has always been there but somehow it is now worth visiting just because it was in a TV programme?

Sorry. I know I'm an elitist when it comes to this, but...Outlander is a trigger word...
    The sad bit is the way they will whine, when restrictions are brought in.

When the damage levels to Stonehenge got out of hand, it was interesting to talk to people about their "right to touch the stones". The savage selfishness of not considering their actions as part of an aggregated issue... I should have signed them up to sell CDO to widows and orphans on the spot....
    Indeed. The line between 'manageable numbers' and 'too many' is sometimes very fine. In the US National Parks you have to apply for a permit to do certain things in order to keep numbers at a sensible (sometimes very low) level. I can't see how that would work here because there is no wilderness as such, but it is interesting that in the 'land of the free' things are often more restricted than they are here.

Perhaps at Stonehenge there should be a daily lottery to allow a selected few to touch the stones. Might even raise a few quid. :smile:

I do realise I'm being hypocritical with this, as part of the original 'aggregate', but it is the bizarre sheep-like way it happens that annoys me most.

I wonder if Leon has any favourite places that he refuses to write about in case they get 'spoiled'?

• Options

kinabalu said:

Banner headlines of Matt Hancock saying "I don't rule out" and "I'm open to" delaying the roadmap. I don't get this at all. This is precisely zero change to what the position has always been. The final 'unlock' is penciled in for 21st June but such will not be confirmed until 14th June.

So the Cock is bound to say he's "open to" and "doesn't rule out" a delay. If he said otherwise he'd be admitting the decision is already made and rather than "data not dates" it's the opposite. Now THAT would be big news. But why does the Cock saying what he obviously has to say merit being big news?

The mood music has changed though. 21 June used to be an end to all legal restrictions (with the implicit exception of international travel).

Now it is a possible end to most/some restrictions, with a possible delay.

An end to all legal restrictions won't happen, even if further loosening of restrictions does.
    Yes, although I'd spin it a bit more bullishly - that 21st June is a certain end to most of the remaining serious restrictions, with the strong possibility of some persisting, eg the mask mandate.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    I also have a question for the PB brains trust. Maybe one for @RochdalePioneers .

Any idea why my local big Tesco has not had any frozen green beans for weeks now?
  • Options

Ladies and gents - i give you Andrew Bridgen MP

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1401478626319777795

oh dear......

First response is a new favourite of mine

"What the fuck is this tweet? No seriously what the fuck?"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336

I also have a question for the PB brains trust. Maybe one for @RochdalePioneers .

Any idea why my local big Tesco has not had any frozen green beans for weeks now?

The only store to check is M and S.

As a store, they’re definitely has beens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57251682
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

That is a niche enquiry. Even by PB standards.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

I can't understand the logic of people, it takes 30 mins for the whole process of getting jabbed (and you can pick anywhere in the England).
    But you might feel rough for three days afterwards, so might as well not risk it whilst on holiday
    No rougher than if you had one too many pints....which many people of holiday will be doing.
  • Options

No idea - plenty around here
  • Options
    Floater said:

oh dear......

I mean that is one of the stupidest Tweets I’ve ever seen.
  • Options

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

No rougher than if you had one too many pints....which many people of holiday will be doing.
    TBH - I would have thought it made more sense to get jabbed BEFORE travelling
  • Options

Floater said:

oh dear......

No, I agree with Floater, that’s a wonderful tweet.

Oh sorry, did you mean Bridgen’s original? Yeah, that’s proving Cameron right about Twitter - again.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I was hoping the answer was obvious. An international shortage perhaps. :D
  • Options

Floater said:

oh dear......

I wonder if he will delete it
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Its classic media questioning / reporting. They got their headline, job done.
    Yes, I suppose so. But I'm not a fan of it.
    Well neither am I....I find all these interviews tedious and generally uninformative, its a stuipd.gotcha game. The gotcha today was to get Hancock to say something off message about the 21st. He didn't, but they have spun it like he has.
    Yes, I'd like to see more conversation and less inquisition. Eg let's get "Boris" in a one-on-one with somebody empathetic and encourage him to let it all hang out.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    590,645 vaccinations in 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 yesterday - 175,001 1st doses, 415,644 2nd doses

https://twitter.com/hugogye/status/1401500596599918593
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

I wonder if he will delete it
    A phrase about stable doors and horses bolting sprigs to mind.
  • Options
    isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

I’m planning my second jab for when I’m on holiday, although admittedly while I’m still at home.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

One thing I would like to know about vaccinations is, at what point will the vaccinated not have to isolate if they come into contact with a case?

I know that most of them have already stopped bothering, but in a school we have to send several children home for every case - it works out at a ratio of one to six. If therefore, unvaccinated contacts have to keep isolating, that seems to me to be the best possible reason for extending vaccinations to schoolchildren.

And, will there come a time when non-vaccinated contacts don’t have to isolate any more? If so, when?

Here is a sobering stat - 60% of children missed at least a week of schooling in the autumn term through infection or isolation.

If we have to keep that going it makes schooling much, much more difficult. The school system actually snapped under the pressure in the autumn causing major disruption to lessons for the rest, although the DfE as retards who should probably be sectioned managed not to notice.

I agree. We need to change this pronto - vaccinated means get on with life.

My anecdotal evidence suggests that the only people getting PCR tests now are children/teachers/parents; as those are the only people I have heard of amongst my friends since about Christmas who have had to get a test...
    Of course, a glance at the actual data on test numbers shows you are wrong. That’s the problem with anecdotes.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well neither am I....I find all these interviews tedious and generally uninformative, its a stuipd.gotcha game. The gotcha today was to get Hancock to say something off message about the 21st. He didn't, but they have spun it like he has.
    Yes, I'd like to see more conversation and less inquisition. Eg let's get "Boris" in a one-on-one with somebody empathetic and encourage him to let it all hang out.
    But... but Real Journalism (TM) involves shouting the same question 137 times, getting the same response, with words moved round, 137 times!!!
  • Options

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

Small sample of one, but I have had hundreds of obscene hangovers, and never felt worse than after the jab
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Floater said:

oh dear......

For the English WW2 will never be over.
  • Options

PB Brains trust

Any ideas why??

Holding back some real goodies until they can ease social distancing? I.e. The release date of XYZ is contingent on it?

Would align with a decision this week.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I would prefer if somebody gave him a proper grilling, but specifically on what his political vision is and how he intends to achieve it. That means holding his BS to account, but not by interrupt every 5s and not wasting time on how many kids he has.

I thought the interview with Chairman Houchen was really interesting. I learned a lot about how he sees the world and it is more nuanced and interesting, more Blue Labour than traditional Tory. And now you jave him on record saying what he believes and how he intends to achieve it and should be held accountable against it.
  • Options
    Interesting. An ex SPAD who worked with Hancock & Cummings throughout the pandemic speaks to Times Radio. Worth watching the video. If you can’t, the bottom line is he says DC was chatting shit.

“ "He woke up every morning and asked what do I do to save more lives."

Jamie Njoku-Goodwin, former special adviser to Matt Hancock, defends him from allegations made by Dominic Cummings.”

https://twitter.com/timesradio/status/1401502407889240066?s=21
  • Options

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

I take your point. However, if you are using public transport round here it will take a 3 hour round trip (more if you are very isolated) and cost £5 upwards. Which is at least a half day off work. Not a problem for most. But if you are a little hesitant, or phobic, or skint, or a technophobe or whatever it can make the difference.
    We need to be doing much more as I said earlier, to identify the reasons behind non-uptake and making it as simple as possible to solve the barriers rather than just sending an e-mail or letter reminder.
    Not all the unvaccinated are out right refuseniks.
  • Options

Floater said:

oh dear......

The bloke is absolutely obsessed with the war.
  • Options

PB Brains trust

Any ideas why??

Holding back some real goodies until they can ease social distancing? I.e. The release date of XYZ is contingent on it?

That makes sense - from what I understand, the big Hollywood studios feel that there is alot at stake in the re-opening of cinemas around the world and want it to be a major thing....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

I’m planning my second jab for when I’m on holiday, although admittedly while I’m still at home.
    Yeah, I mean as I’m having paid to go in holiday. I wouldn’t pop in to the local centre and get jabbed
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    For those interested, for work I have been looking at our EU trade. We now have three months' data since we left the single market. Ignoring the clearly exceptional month of January gives us two. Without going into a lot of statistical detail, our goods exports to the EU are down by about 20% compared with 10% to the rest of the world on Feb and Mar 2019 levels. As that is about the same in February and March, it may be a "new normal" rather than the continuation of the bounceback. But it's EU imports that have taken the real hit, down by 30% compared to non-EU imports which have been constant over the last couple of years.

Overall, then, our EU trade has declined somewhat compared to what I would estimate it would otherwise have been from looking at non-EU trade, but it hasn't been the apocalytpic event some were forecasting in January. The overall amount seems consistent with EU studies which showed that membership of the Single Market was worth about 0.5-1% of GDP to member states.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I would prefer if somebody gave him a proper grilling, but specifically on what his political vision is and how he intends to achieve it. That means holding his BS to account, but not by interrupt every 5s and not wasting time on how many kids he has.

I thought the interview with Chairman Houchen was really interesting. I learned a lot about how he sees the world and it is more nuanced and interesting, more Blue Labour than traditional Tory. And now you jave him on record saying what he believes and how he intends to achieve it and should be held accountable against it.
    That's what I mean. Give him the chance to show us the void. Or prove me wrong and show us the substance.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

Wikipedia contains this gem on Bridgen, presumably from his own bio:

“After graduating, Bridgen began training as an officer in the Royal Marines but decided to not complete the course.”

It’s a bit like my decision not to become a Nobel prize winning physicist. Brave.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    kinabalu said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

Dropped out of RM training like Prince Edward. Absolute softcock.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

Small sample of one, but I have had hundreds of obscene hangovers, and never felt worse than after the jab
    My 1st AZ was quite bad too. 2nd one was almost nothing. Hopefully you'll find that too.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

Yeah, I mean as I’m having paid to go in holiday. I wouldn’t pop in to the local centre and get jabbed
    You can book a jab anywhere if you do it through the NHS system. Friends booked their jabs when they were at their second home in Cornwall and the second, back home.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited June 2021
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

My 1st AZ was quite bad too. 2nd one was almost nothing. Hopefully you'll find that too.
    A good sign, since the two of you clearly have vibrant pulsating immune systems that will keep you going for a few years yet! Once you reach advanced middle age like me you’d have just felt a bit tired for half a day; get into retirement and you’d probably not have noticed anything at all.
  • Options

isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

You can book a jab anywhere if you do it through the NHS system. Friends booked their jabs when they were at their second home in Cornwall and the second, back home.
    That is one of the very good points about the vaccination setup in this country.

Friends in other countries have told me that there were all kinds of restrictions on where/when they could get vaccinated - they found the idea that you could book *anywhere* quite startling.

Except for a couple of Russians - it's been walk in, at any centre, there from the start. Because of incredibly low take up.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited June 2021

Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

“After graduating, Bridgen began training as an officer in the Royal Marines but decided to not complete the course.”

It’s a bit like my decision not to become a Nobel prize winning physicist. Brave.
    You began training to become a Nobel winning physicist? Impressive in itself. Kudos to you.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

Dropped out of RM training like Prince Edward. Absolute softcock.
    Ah so maybe it's one of those then. Macho to cover feelings of inadequacy. There's been a few serial killers like that. And if you can't even manage this, ok become a Tory MP.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

PB Brains trust

Any ideas why??

Aliens (or dolphins) block booked them to announce their take over of the planet?
    Ian McKellan special announcement on the latest COVID restrictions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjftFyJE-NM
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

For you Tommy, zee war is never over
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

dixiedean said:

Tesco’s are a bit shit. They’ve been having random stock outs. I couldn’t get jarlsberg for weeks and there was no 5% mince at all last week
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

First dose 175,001
    Second dose 415,644
    Total doses 590,645

A good sign, since the two of you clearly have vibrant pulsating immune systems that will keep you going for a few years yet! Once you reach advanced middle age like me you’d have just felt a bit tired for half a day; get into retirement and you’d probably not have noticed anything at all.
    Yes, almost all my friends have felt awful, whilst our parents didn’t feel a thing, so fits with your findings
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411

justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

On the topic of the death penalty, if it were possible to determine a system whereby only those 100% definitely guilty of the most heinous crimes were to pay with their life for it then I could go either way in thinking that it could be justice.

However that's not humanly possible. Any system humanity could design will always run the risk of errors and miscarriages of justices. So the death penalty is absolutely unacceptable. If a miscarriage of justice leads to a sentence of life without the possibility of parole then even decades later its possible to release them from prison. If they've been executed then they can't be brought back to life.

So no to the death penalty. Not under any circumstances, because humanity can't operate it properly.

To me, it's more that the whole thing is pretty ritualistic and more trouble than it's worth, at least in peacetime. Even when we had capital punishment, the vast majority of death sentences were commuted. One could aruge endlessly about which murderer deserves to hang, and which deserves life imprisonment.

I have no issue though, with executing spies, traitors, francs-tireurs in wartime conditions. Or people guilty of serious war crimes.
    I see nothing wrong with so-called traitors who betray states guided by the forces of evil. People such as Stauffenberg are to be commended for their commitment to the wider interests of humanity.
    The Stauffenberg who wanted Germany to keep its eastern territorial gains and only started plotting against Hitler when Germany was clearly losing the war ?
    ,,Es lebe das heilige Deutschland!''
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,513
    Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

Ironically, Andrew Bridgen MP seems unaware of the shiny new memorial.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/06/memorial-to-british-d-day-heroes-opens-in-poignant-ceremony
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited June 2021
    Floater said:

oh dear......

Well its a contrived argument certainly but what irritates me is the response like that as though if anyone has a oddish perspective that is not the current right on twitterati view there is a need to swear by the mock incredulous and generally ridicule it in a arrogant way. I am not sure this faux incredulous course mocking style so beloved of the metro elite is healthy or productive - it probably lost the brexit vote with the same arrogance tbh
  • Options
    Are elections now just low grade talent shows for arseholes? They know they haven’t a chance of winning but they might be on the telly for two minutes.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Did he confuse it with his gym?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,513
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Tesco’s are a bit shit. They’ve been having random stock outs. I couldn’t get jarlsberg for weeks and there was no 5% mince at all last week
    Sainsbury's was light on Coke (half-term?) and cat food; worst of all, the chippy has sold out of medium cod.
  • Options

PB Brains trust

Any ideas why??

could be
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Sainsbury's was light on Coke (half-term?) and cat food; worst of all, the chippy has sold out of medium cod.
    KFC will run out of chickens next - now that is a one in a century event
  • Options
    The shortage of public conveniences in London is becoming a real issue.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Not just Tesco. Waitrose have not had any dwarf beans for over 2 weeks.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I hope the government go for a wider range for under 30s. I don't think we need to do only 28/29, then 26/27, etc.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Floater said:

oh dear......

The full quote is very entertaining:

After graduating, Bridgen began training as an officer in the Royal Marines but decided to not complete the course and returned home to help with the family market-gardening business.

'Market-gardening'?! No wonder he thought the training was a Bridgen Too Far... :wink:
    He dropped out before the zone.
  • Options
    Ballsy

New
    Posted at 13:2113:21
    BreakingNew Zealand declare!

Well then!

England need 273 to win. 75 overs left in the day. Game on.
  • Options

Are elections now just low grade talent shows for arseholes? They know they haven’t a chance of winning but they might be on the telly for two minutes.

Reminds me of the Tim Vine joke

Phoned the builders merchants and said I want a skip outside my house, they said ‘I’m not stopping you’
  • Options

Ballsy

New

Well then!

Nah....England will be 40/3 shortly and hanging on for dear life.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The shortage of public conveniences in London is becoming a real issue.
    Doubly so for one so full of shit as him.
  • Options
    OK, I've got one!

What's @ydoethur 's favourite region of India and Pakistan?

The Pun-jab!

(I thank you!)
  • Options

Ballsy

New

Well then!

3.64 an over and 14.5 on Betfair…
  • Options

Ballsy

New

Well then!

And New Zealand are already through to the tail, or as it’s also called, ‘England’s top order.’
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If Root had been in this situation, he wouldn't have declared until England had a lead of at least 450....
  • Options

There does seem to be lots of that. London Mayor was like a knobbly knees contest.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Ballsy

New

Well then!

I’ve had a oner at 14 Eng
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Ballsy

New

Well then!

Well done NZ, not many teams would take even that level of risk.
  • Options

OK, I've got one!

What's @ydoethur 's favourite region of India and Pakistan?

The Pun-jab!

(I thank you!)

Peccastis
  • Options
    isam said:

Reminds me of the Tim Vine joke

Phoned the builders merchants and said I want a skip outside my house, they said ‘I’m not stopping you’
    Think I misread ‘Waters’ as ‘Wants’

Well, I did!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ballsy

New

Well then!

And New Zealand are already through to the tail, or as it’s also called, ‘England’s top order.’
    That's a VERY sporting declaration. It would be good for the game if it works and they win.

The incredible lofty objectivity of me.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

Ballsy

New

Well then!

I don't think it is hugely risky, especially as England haven't got a Butler or Stokes in the team who could get in and absolutely hammer you all over the park at 5-6 an over with ease.
  • Options

Not that it was ever that important, but these attention seekers are rather devaluing the noble art of perennial candidacy, by not having a single issue they are wanting to draw attention to, nor do they actually put in the effort of, say, Count Binface, as joke candidates.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ballsy

New

Well then!

I don't think it is hugely risky, especially as England haven't got a Butler or Stokes in the team who could get in and absolutely hammer you all over the park at 5-6 an over with ease.
    No, it's not very risky at all, but that the door is even slightly open on the possibility is a surprise.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,841
    kle4 said:

Not that it was ever that important, but these attention seekers are rather devaluing the noble art of perennial candidacy, by not having a single issue they are wanting to draw attention to, nor do they actually put in the effort of, say, Count Binface, as joke candidates.
    They will all be raising many multiples of the lost deposits whatever idiotic cause they are shilling.
  • Options
    Further to Dawkins career jump to literary criticism, this piece doesn’t take any prisoners. The culture war (like other wars) has certainly produced some strange bed fellows and realignments.

https://twitter.com/pjdunleavy/status/1401515712989089793?s=21
  • Options

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

KFC will run out of chickens next - now that is a one in a century event
    Before lockdown last year, I tried out their Vegan* burger - not too shabby!

* disclaimer - I am NOT from Vega!
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

felix said:

tlg86 said:

Blair was also very clear that we vaccinate our people first. Nandy saying it’s not an either or...

She is clearly an idiot then because in terms of timing it has to be either/or.
    As we are trying to identify the idiots, where do you actually draw line with “our people first?”

With Johnson’s desire to vaccinate the world before end Q4 2022, I suspect big movement from him in next few weeks on the stockpiling UK has been building.

The UK has no choice really, global pandemic we really are all in it together, we need reciprocality on range of other issues too we won’t get if we are responsibility for creating long lasting frustration and anger.

Ask yourself, do you want 12 years olds in UK to get the vaccine before adults in Africa?
    Your answer has to be no, does it not?
    Didn't you predict that the government would give away all the vaccines to the third world after over 50s had received their first dose ?
    And I was right about the impression of greedily sitting on a stockpile would cause longer term where we NEED something in return.
    So you were wrong.

And given there is no stockpile you're wrong about that as well.
    although we will soon be able to donate any surplus AZ vaccines.

We should get the RAF to fly it in.

Every time they hand it over they should recite their motto as well.
    Indeed.

What gealbhan has been calling for since March was for all the vaccines from the UK (which clearly still needed them) to be donated to other countries.

Apparently the British government deciding to let thousands more die unnecessarily in Britain (plus continuing economic and social damage) would somehow buy enough goodwill around the world to make up for the drawbacks.

A more likely result would be the rest of the world thinking Britain was some bleeding heart soft-touch who would give vital things away for nothing and would regard Britain with contempt.
    Not true. I said we should manage the impression better than we have, because we need much in return from the so called developing nations, so I said all along we need to manage the impression we are giving.

It goes that you won’t, even now today, answer a straightforward question, can we share with Africa today before vaccinating 12xyear olds, or not? “We will give some very soon, look after own first” doesn’t wash anymore does it, your inability to specifically draw a line is the issue.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ballsy

New

Well then!

Thats a complete fucker. I lumped on the draw ahead of the rain at 3.45

Was into about 1.11 until the declaration.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Terrific declaration by New Zealand. Top sports.
  • Options

Further to Dawkins career jump to literary criticism, this piece doesn’t take any prisoners. The culture war (like other wars) has certainly produced some strange bed fellows and realignments.

I think some of them might need to remember the moral of A Christmas Carol - just don't be a dick.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Blair has 'no sympathy' for those who refuse vaccine

Have Leon and Tony ever been seen the same room?

The only obvious place such thinking will go is spotlight the unvaccinated - the unclean - who will end up wearing bright yellow COVID badges in public and get blamed for everything that goes wrong.

Blair is showing just how rightofcentre and reactionary he has drifted these days. Totally unsupportable position.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    Pulpstar said:

Terrific declaration by New Zealand. Top sports.

+1
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The Currant Bun say no Man City or Chelsea player tonight again..what's the point of warm up games if you aren't going to play a load of players that are part of your squad for the tournament. I presume again it will be appearances for players who aren't even picked.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15179160/england-kane-out-romania-fit-euros/
  • Options

isam said:

Ballsy

New

Well then!

Thats a complete fucker. I lumped on the draw ahead of the rain at 3.45

Was into about 1.11 until the declaration.
    Cricviz makes the odds

Eng 33.0
    Draw 1.35
    NZ 4.4

Betfair
    Eng 14.5
    Draw 1.22
    NZ 7.8

So backing New Zealand is the value tbh. On them for a tenner anyway.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

The Currant Bun say no Man City or Chelsea player tonight again..what's the point of warm up games if you aren't going to play a load of players that are part of your squad for the tournament. I presume again it will be appearances for players who aren't even picked.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15179160/england-kane-out-romania-fit-euros/

TV contract.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Policy Exchange is described as ‘hard right’ by that tweeter, yet Jo Cox wrote for it
  • Options

It's almost enough to make one go down on knees and repent.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ballsy

New

Well then!

No, it's not very risky at all, but that the door is even slightly open on the possibility is a surprise.
    They’ve sportingly set aside the All Black philosophy of never taking your foot off your enemy’s neck (metaphorically of course).
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

TV contract.
    It is missing an opportunity to actually have minutes on the pitch for the team that will be expected to be perfectly coordinated from the first minute of the tournament. Now obviously that doesn't mean playing them 90 mins x 2 games, but not a single minute, hmmm, especially as I presume Reece James will be 1st choice wing back now TAA is out and Mount and Foden are England's main creative threats. And I presume Mr Waistcoat will be picking Sterling (and Rashford) as the partners to Kane in the front three.
  • Options
    Lol England and NZ almost hit the same odds.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    IanB2 said:

get into retirement and you’d probably not have noticed anything at all.

You talkin' to me?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

My theory of warm up games is to establish the routine of games and training. So rather than train for three weeks and then straight in, the first match is the third in a set of games.
This discussion has been closed.