Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As UK COVID deaths drop to zero the front page of tomorrow’s Daily Mail – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited June 2021 in General
imageAs UK COVID deaths drop to zero the front page of tomorrow’s Daily Mail – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    First!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    I am not going to repeat my joke from earlier as it required too much explanation...surfice to say when we have 10-20 deaths recorded tomorrow, the Mail will be running the opposite headline.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I am not going to repeat my joke from earlier as it required too much explanation...surfice to say when we have 10-20 deaths recorded tomorrow, the Mail will be running the opposite headline.

No they won’t, they will be hunting for Snark’s.
  • Options
    Did anybody actually watch the old Starmer interview?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BBC News - Sir Keir Starmer: Five things we learned from Piers Morgan interview
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57321990

Sounds dull if the 4th most important story from it was some bloke impersonated him and led a life of fast cars and loose women....where as of course Boris doesn't need the impersonator....

And the 5th was I am getting on the train a lot more to see the UK. As all politicians say.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Well. Tomorrow they don't seem to know whether they want us all to be freed from our bondage or not.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Starmer is clearly decent, warm, human being who got where he is through his own efforts overcoming serious problems along the way.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Sounds dull if the 4th most important story from it was some bloke impersonated him and led a life of fast cars and loose women....where as of course Boris doesn't need the impersonator....

And the 5th was I am getting on the train a lot more to see the UK. As all politicians say.

Oh, this is too rich. Perhaps literally:

The pair now have two children, but Sir Keir revealed they did have time for some A-list lunches, counting Amal Clooney - who he praised as a "brilliant lawyer" - and her husband as friends.

"George gives quite a lot of advice, including to me, and he has got very strong views on American politics," he said.

Two years ago, "a lunch ended up as an afternoon, ended up as an evening" while they put the world to rights.

"There were quite a lot of empty bottles by the end of the evening, but it was great."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited June 2021

Watching it now on catchup, he actually comes across quite well, had a mother who was plagued by illness, a father who was a toolmaker and had no TV until his late teens. Got himself to grammar school and worked his way up from there and into the law (where he also did pro bono work).

I expect he will get at least some bounce from this from those who watched it

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    Jonathan said:

Starmer is clearly decent, warm, human being who got where he is through his own efforts overcoming serious problems along the way.

Isn't that what everyone does...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Zero deaths reported on a day when most of the people who report deaths took the day off.

No doubt some clowns will think that that's it and nobody else will die.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Watching it now on catchup, he actually comes across quite well, had a mother who was plagued by illness, a father who was a toolmaker and had no TV until his late teens. Got himself to grammar school and worked his way up from there and into the law (where he also did pro bono work).

Gordo came across well too. That's why Mandy is trying the same approach with Starmer.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nope. Some get quite a lot of help along the way and live a charmed existence and never experience hard knocks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No TV.??? We had no TV till the 66 world Cup. My dad rented it from Visionhire .. he is not alone....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Gordo came across well too. That's why Mandy is trying the same approach with Starmer.
    Gordo did prevent the Tories winning a majority in 2010, I expect Starmer would jump at that in 2024
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Jonathan said:

Doomed as a politician then....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No TV.??? We had no TV till the 66 world Cup. My dad rented it from Visionhire .. he is not alone....
    Starmer is a tad younger. By the 70s/80s not having a tv is unusual.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gordo did prevent the Tories winning a majority in 2010, I expect Starmer would jump at that in 2024
    That's what I meant.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nope. Some get quite a lot of help along the way and live a charmed existence and never experience hard knocks.
    A few. Most have to work hard and get where they can via their own.efforts
  • Options
    edited June 2021

The pair now have two children, but Sir Keir revealed they did have time for some A-list lunches, counting Amal Clooney - who he praised as a "brilliant lawyer" - and her husband as friends.

"George gives quite a lot of advice, including to me, and he has got very strong views on American politics," he said.

Two years ago, "a lunch ended up as an afternoon, ended up as an evening" while they put the world to rights.

"There were quite a lot of empty bottles by the end of the evening, but it was great."
    So there goes the teetotaller vote
    I'm sure his weakness in the Red Wall for being a knighted metropolitan elitist human rights lawyer will be greatly ameliorated by reports of his potations with woke A-list celebrities...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,194
    Jonathan said:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Well let’s hope not and he done pretty well so far. Party leader and a serious contender for no10 is more than pretty much everyone else achieves in politics.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    O/T

Interesting paragraph, even though I can't read the rest of the article.

"The great social media truism is that if you’re not paying for a service then you must be the product. Every day on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube or Instagram users give themselves away. They make the content, they surrender precious personal information with every interaction and even if they’re making some money via sponsorship or advertising, they’re still at the mercy of the platforms’ obscure algorithms. Meanwhile, Silicon Valley barons pick up the profits."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/naked-truth-of-selling-yourself-on-onlyfans-m0vjg55mp
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

I didn’t watch it, I went out for dinner, but on twitter the posts I read were 100% positive, emphasising his dignity, working class roots etc . But they were also all from people who had ‘Labour ‘EU’ or ‘Hate Brexit’ in their bio. I can’t imagine many who weren’t already favourably disposed to Sir Keir would have watched it.

It will be interesting to see the polls reaction.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Well let’s hope not and he done pretty well so far. Party leader and a serious contender for no10 is more than pretty much everyone else achieves in politics.
    You obviously missed the recent polling showing his ratings as bad as any Labour leader (at a comparable time, I believe worse than Jezza) and Labour being 10% back.

And those local elections...Labour didn't even manage to win control of the London Assembly....Remainistan left leaning London...
  • Options
    21 June: partial lockdown relief

EG in pubs: bar service will be allowed and no social restrictions BUT track and trace will remain, no standing or seating by the bar, masks required when ordering at the bar and when moving around the pub.

Similar rules in restaurants, indoor places like cinemas etc.

Prudent sensible provisions.
  • Options

I'm sure his weakness in the Red Wall for being a knighted metropolitan elitist human rights lawyer will be greatly ameliorated by reports of his potations with woke A-list celebrities...
    And yet the PM does really well there.
    So clearly it isn't being a Metropolitan elitist who hobnobs with the rich and famous that is the problem.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You obviously missed the recent polling showing his ratings as bad as any Labour leader (at a comparable time) and Labour being 10% back.
    Depends on the poll, Labour were only 6% behind with Opinium on Saturday
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The current incumbent of No 10 for example.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

A few. Most have to work hard and get where they can via their own.efforts
    Alas, it’s rare at the top of politics. The flash of the old school tie and a family connection goes far too far in any of the parties. Rees-Mogg, Cameron, Johnson, Benn, Milliband Kinnock to name a few.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    isam said:

I didn’t watch it, I went out for dinner, but on twitter the posts I read were 100% positive, emphasising his dignity, working class roots etc . But they were also all from people who had ‘Labour ‘EU’ or ‘Hate Brexit’ in their bio. I can’t imagine many who weren’t already favourably disposed to Sir Keir would have watched it.

I suspect few apart form Lab supporters will have watched, but will be interested in the viewing numbers
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Jonathan said:

Nope. Masked Dancer then final episode of The Pact for us. Can’t say I’m interested either. I’d feel the same if it was Davey, Sturgeon, Johnson or any of the rest of them. It would all feel carefully stage managed even if it wasn’t.

Be interested to see the ratings. A couple of million possibly two and a half.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    edited June 2021
    HYUFD said:

The no tv story isn't believable.

They might not have had a colour tv until 1980 but no tv at all ?

Only if they were religious nutters or suchlike.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You obviously missed the recent polling showing his ratings as bad as any Labour leader (at a comparable time, I believe worse than Jezza) and Labour being 10% back.

And those local elections...Labour didn't even manage to win London.
    Achieved more politically than you, me or anyone here ever will.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

So clearly it isn't being a Metropolitan elitist who hobnobs with the rich and famous that is the problem.
    Indeed - it's coming across as one, which Sir Keir does in spades.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

isam said:

I suspect few apart form Lab supporters will have watched, but will be interested in the viewing numbers
    Usually gets around 2 - 2.5 million. Mind you a lovely evening and warm weather, viewing figures do tail off in the summer.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Boris was sacked from the Times and Howard's Shadow Cabinet but came back
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And those local elections...Labour didn't even manage to win London.
    Achieved more politically than you, me or anyone here ever will.
    What's he achieved so far? Didn't stop Brexit...lost the local elections...he is behind Boris on basically every metric, bloody Boris who is a walking disaster and 10%+ down in the polls....while he has provided no vision, no plan, no ideas....on Covid, he just stands there and mutters nothing criticisms, some vagueness about should have done this better, but never will say anything concrete e.g. today still umming and aring about if he agrees with 21st unlocking.... government doing poorly, its chaos, its a disaster, so you wouldn't unlock...welll erhhh...
  • Options
    Taz said:

BigRich said:

isam said:

Usually gets around 2 - 2.5 million. Mind you a lovely evening and warm weather, viewing figures do tail off in the summer.
    It didn't start until 9 30pm
  • Options

Zero deaths reported on a day when most of the people who report deaths took the day off.

No doubt some clowns will think that that's it and nobody else will die.

when the base line numbers are that low, its over.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

His father sounds quite strict, apparently they only got it when his mother was doing an Open University course
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

EG in pubs: bar service will be allowed and no social restrictions BUT track and trace will remain, no standing or seating by the bar, masks required when ordering at the bar and when moving around the pub.

That's not good enough, sitting at the bar and standing in the pub are part of being in a pub. Of all people I thought you'd realise it!

End all restrictions on June 21st. No half measures that the zero COVID c***s will turn into permanent "low cost" interventions like mask wearing. People are free to wear them but it should be a personal choice from June 21st onwards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

BigRich said:

isam said:

It didn't start until 9 30pm
    It doesn’t get dark until well after 10.

viewing figures do tail off when it gets to the summer. It’s why TV stations have tended to spend less on these months and give you another opportunity to watch something again than they do the schedules from September or the new year ones.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You obviously missed the recent polling showing his ratings as bad as any Labour leader (at a comparable time) and Labour being 10% back.
    The average is 10%...also in all the Tories are on a solid 42% and over...they get that they win. The outlier in the Opinium poll was having Labour on 36, everybody else has them much lower. I don't believe the sub 30, but I can believe the Lib Dems and the Greens are nabbing a share of their voters, as we saw in the locals.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

My wife’s family didn’t have tv until she was a teenager. In her case, she spent far too much time living a wild idyllic childhood on beach front property in NSW. Godfather didn’t have a tv either. Super strict wife thought it was trash.

It happens.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Now you are talking. Interestingly, so does the PM. I doubt many Red Wallers think Boris likes a night out in the Spoons in Stoke.
    It's about more than that. One is earnest and a bit dull. The other isn't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's not good enough, sitting at the bar and standing in the pub are part of being in a pub. Of all people I thought you'd realise it!

End all restrictions on June 21st. No half measures that the zero COVID c***s will turn into permanent "low cost" interventions like mask wearing. People are free to wear them but it should be a personal choice from June 21st onwards.
    I sympathise with your comments but just letting you know that it won't be allowed on 21 June. Step by step. Little by little.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Now you are talking. Interestingly, so does the PM. I doubt many Red Wallers think Boris likes a night out in the Spoons in Stoke.
    I think they think Boris would be a jolly fun night out should he decide to visit Spoons in Stoke....you might end up paying for his drinks though.
  • Options
    Also this zero deaths day has come with perfect timing as it's completely derailed all of the zero COVID bullshit from the last few days and made them all look ridiculous. Loads of people had stopped paying attention to the detailed numbers but this evening there was loads of chat in the family WhatsApp about 0 deaths and that the scientists have their own agenda and want to keep everyone locked away. Listening to the scientists people seem to have assumed the situation is really bad with loads of people still dying but this has completely shattered the illusion the scientists were trying to create that we're "on a knife edge" etc...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Television? Luxury. I used to have to replicate the evening schedules using using cardboard from cigarette packets, chicken wire and three month old pork dripping - starting with Nationwide, through ask the family, repeats of the Two Ronnies (Corbett’s monologues lent themselves to last months dripping) and finishing with closedown.

They don’t know the meaning of closedown these days.

He ain’t getting no bounce from that.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    MaxPB said:

I’m on holiday this week and the mask-on, mask-off nonsense is driving me bonkers. I have lost six or seven masks in three days! I look forward to the day when the mask mandate ends, as I am simply too absent-minded to manage the bloody things. And they are really uncomfortable in warm weather.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I believe the big problem Starmer / Labour will have is come any GE, we know the Tories have a fairly sophisticated system of targetting adverts (all sorts of claims of what they put out about Jezza in ree wall seats)...they will be bombarding Leave-istan with all the clips of Starmer trying to stop Brexit.

They don't need to make a big song and dance about it as part of the main campaign, but they will aggressively target all those who voted for get brexit done, with a message of this is the man who did everything to try to stop that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This should all be personal chose, masks, night clubs, standing at the bar having a beer talking to the landlord.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    edited June 2021

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And those local elections...Labour didn't even manage to win control of the London Assembly....Remainistan left leaning London...
    Saying Labour didn't win control of the London Assembly is like saying the Tories didn't win a majority of votes at the last General Election
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Keir Starmer says he is "'brimming with manly passion' "

Oh dear god make it end :smiley:
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,395
    edited June 2021
    Deleted.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I sympathise with your comments but just letting you know that it won't be allowed on 21 June. Step by step. Little by little.
    0 deaths. No rise in the hospitalisation rate. Numbers in hospital still dropping. Case severity down. 12m more vaccines to be done before June 21st.

Fuck step by step. Fuck little by little. Don't give the c***s an inch. It's time to get back to normal, if people want to choose to live like hermits that's on them, don't force the rest of society to do it because idiots have rejected the vaccine.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Boris’ USP is that he takes all the complexity and seriousness out of politics. After years of austerity, Brexit wars and earnest 90s/00s serious policy he allows his audience to switch off. If Boris doesn’t take the world seriously, then we don’t have to either. Irresistible to the British.

It will all end in ruin for some other poor sod dealing with the consequences, but for now Boris Carrie’s on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Boris was sacked from the Times and Howard's Shadow Cabinet but came back
    Boris got the Times job through his connections, was sacked for lying about them, then crossed the road to the Telegraph whose editor he'd met at Oxford. This is not to say that Boris is untalented but that he had opportunities most do not.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Saying Labour didn't win control of the London Assembly is like saying the Tories didn't win a majority of votes at the last General Election
    Labour's performance in London was very poor. The few places it went well, a couple of uni towns and where there was a big personal mandidate e.g. Burnham.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Not difficult, impossible. The government should make it clear that the b towns will be locked down. But the rest of the country will be free. Sorry, Mike. Bedford needs to be kept isolated.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The average is 10%...also in all the Tories are on a solid 42% and over...they get that they win. The outlier in the Opinium poll was having Labour on 36, everybody else has them much lower. I don't believe the sub 30, but I can believe the Lib Dems and the Greens are nabbing a share of their voters, as we saw in the locals.
    In 2017 the Tories got 42% and did not win a majority as Labour got 40%.

If Starmer can win over many of the 11% who voted LD last time to Labour in seats where Labour are the main challengers to the Tories and squeeze back the Green vote, he only needs to win over a percent or two further from the Tories and we are back to a hung parliament again
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

0 deaths. No rise in the hospitalisation rate. Numbers in hospital still dropping. Case severity down. 12m more vaccines to be done before June 21st.

Fuck step by step. Fuck little by little. Don't give the c***s an inch. It's time to get back to normal, if people want to choose to live like hermits that's on them, don't force the rest of society to do it because idiots have rejected the vaccine.
    No let's keep everybody locked up while there's a single variant anywhere in the world that vaccines haven't been tested against. Don't worry, we'll be free by 2784 at the latest.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    BigRich said:

MaxPB said:

This should all be personal chose, masks, night clubs, standing at the bar having a beer talking to the landlord.
    That's fine. But even vaccinated, I'm not going in unless I'm convinced it's safe.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also this zero deaths day has come with perfect timing as it's completely derailed all of the zero COVID bullshit from the last few days and made them all look ridiculous. Loads of people had stopped paying attention to the detailed numbers but this evening there was loads of chat in the family WhatsApp about 0 deaths and that the scientists have their own agenda and want to keep everyone locked away. Listening to the scientists people seem to have assumed the situation is really bad with loads of people still dying but this has completely shattered the illusion the scientists were trying to create that we're "on a knife edge" etc...

The zero covidians will be shifting the goal posts....they are the inverse of the likes of Alister Haimes.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If Starmer can win over many of the 11% who voted LD last time to Labour where Labour are the main challengers to the Tories and squeeze back the Green vote, he only needs to win over a percent or two further from the Tories and we are back to a hung parliament again
    The current polling shows he isn't close. Labour could be on as low as 28%...As i say, I think Starmer has problems with the Greens and Lib Dems nicking vote share, where as the Tories have eliminated the Farage Party.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I think they think Boris would be a jolly fun night out should he decide to visit Spoons in Stoke....you might end up paying for his drinks though.
    Yep. He might try it on with your missus too.
  • Options
    Wonder how Boris would perform as a war leader, would we tolerate him presiding over a military campaign or would the joke have worn off.
  • Options

I believe the big problem Starmer / Labour will have is come any GE, we know the Tories have a fairly sophisticated system of targetting adverts (all sorts of claims of what they put out about Jezza in ree wall seats)...they will be bombarding Leave-istan with all the clips of Starmer trying to stop Brexit.

They don't need to make a big song and dance about it as part of the main campaign, but they will aggressively target all those who voted for get brexit done, with a message of this is the man who did everything to try to stop that.

Yeah. There is a good clip of him saying that it’s an important point of principle that Labour will be backing Remain in the 2nd referendum they are calling for. That’s what’s turned off millions of ex Labour voters, and I don’t think they’ll be tempted back by Labour activists tweeting that Sir Keir cried well on PiersMorgans show
  • Options
    edited June 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If Starmer can win over many of the 11% who voted LD last time to Labour where Labour are the main challengers to the Tories and squeeze back the Green vote, he only needs to win over a percent or two further from the Tories and we are back to a hung parliament again
    The current polling shows he isn't close. Labour could be on as low as 28%...As i say, I think Starmer has problems with the Greens and Lib Dems nicking vote share, where as the Tories have eliminated the Farage Party.
    Only polls which have the Greens on 8%, under FPTP most of that vote will be back to Labour in 2024, certainly in the marginal seats.

Plus if Boris does not end all restrictions later this month ReformUK will eat into the Tory share
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited June 2021

And financially disastrous for hospitality. Especially with the withdrawal of furlough.
  • Options

Yes. I think it was @david_herdson who said Get Brexit Done was such a good slogan they'd run with it in 2024 as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Only polls which have the Greens on 8%, under FPTP most of that vote will be back to Labour in 2024, certainly in the marginal seats.

Plus if Boris does not end all restrictions later this month ReformUK will eat into the Tory share
    These UKIP/BXP/Reform parties don’t get votes unless Farage is fronting them... and he’s not!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I’m on holiday this week and the mask-on, mask-off nonsense is driving me bonkers. I have lost six or seven masks in three days! I look forward to the day when the mask mandate ends, as I am simply too absent-minded to manage the bloody things. And they are really uncomfortable in warm weather.
    I'm sick of having to plan evenings out and book everything in advance and get to the next place within 15 minutes of the booking time and all of that crap. There's no more spontaneity. We can't just decide to go to the pub or to a restaurant and stay for an indefinite period of time. Life is now made up of two hour blocks.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes. I think it was @david_herdson who said Get Brexit Done was such a good slogan they'd run with it in 2024 as well.
    Depends on the context. Running on Brexit in 2024 could appear a little desperate under certain circumstances.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

These UKIP/BXP/Reform parties don’t get votes unless Farage is fronting them... and he’s not!
    The biggest leakage of 2019 Tory votes so far has been to ReformUK even without Farage, there will be fury amongst many Tory small businessmen if the so called 'Freedom Day' is put back further
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Absolutely. The day I spent at cricket it was doing my head in. On, and properly, if you are moving around, but can take it off if sat in seat. Your glasses steam up. You can’t breath through it properly. Keep forgetting to put it on, which pocket stuffed it in. And at first I was trying to put it on whilst had my sunglasses on, and my ears were getting tangled. And they smell.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm sick of having to plan evenings out and book everything in advance and get to the next place within 15 minutes of the booking time and all of that crap. There's no more spontaneity. We can't just decide to go to the pub or to a restaurant and stay for an indefinite period of time. Life is now made up of two hour blocks.
    Can't say as I will bother until things are back to normal, seems more like a chore than an evening out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Am unconvinced by your final assertion. Lockdown has never produced such an effect. No reason it should just start.
    Also. Your average punter hasn't heard of them.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

No, and that’s the problem. It’ll do only about 2 million viewers, mostly politically engaged who aren’t swing voters. I think because he’s so dull a lot of people wouldn’t tune in anyway.

When he’s got to turn on the charisma is prior to a general election when millions more people consider their vote and might dip into a bit more politics than usual.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

Well reports today is they might try to go earlier.

I think we will see the government throw loads of cash at the North, they are clearly trying to get Tesla to come and already got several EV factories and we will probably see the onshoring of more things like the Heinz factory.

We will of course hear plenty of stories of downsides to Brexit (which there are many, although i don't think musicians moaning about touring or the light pollution from the lorry park will make much impact), but it always stuck with me the vox pop from Stoke where they asked a second generation immigrant, wbich way are you voting and he said Leave, they said what about all the economic damage and he said look, juat look round here, its shit, its all shit.

The government makes progress on that front, they run Got Brexit Done...regardless of if it is really just down to throwing cash at the regions or companies to go there, and what the long term impacts are when the bills finally come in.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Labour's performance in London was very poor. The few places it went well, a couple of uni towns and where there was a big personal mandidate e.g. Burnham.
    Remind me, who's the Tory Mayor of London then?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Am unconvinced by your final assertion. Lockdown has never produced such an effect. No reason it should just start.
    Also. Your average punter hasn't heard of them.
    Most people had not been vaccinated by then, failure to fully reopen could destroy many pubs and restaurants and nightclubs and the travel industry.

If that occurs voters in those industries even if they don't back ReformUK would abstain
  • Options

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Up against the useless Shaun Bailey, he went backward. And we were talking about the LA.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    isam said:

Yeah. There is a good clip of him saying that it’s an important point of principle that Labour will be backing Remain in the 2nd referendum they are calling for. That’s what’s turned off millions of ex Labour voters, and I don’t think they’ll be tempted back by Labour activists tweeting that Sir Keir cried well on PiersMorgans show
    Why don't you watch the Starmer interview for yourself rather than relying on the views of Labour activists? After all, you always say that you have no axe to grind about Starmer personally. I'd be interested in your view, but not at second hand.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It’s much worse than you make out. When I was sat there watching live cricket, holding a few beers, I realised I was alive. I forgot what that really feels like. Being in lockdown is like not really being alive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If Starmer can win over many of the 11% who voted LD last time to Labour in seats where Labour are the main challengers to the Tories and squeeze back the Green vote, he only needs to win over a percent or two further from the Tories and we are back to a hung parliament again
    If. And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You have to book to go to the pub?
    Isn't happening up here.
    Pub not full, rock up.
    Pub full. Queue. More likely find pub not full.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

It is striking how the difference of 1 death (1 yesterday, 0 today) can, however temporary, apparently shift the mood music. Even the Guardian front page has felt forced to show it as its lead story, and dial down on the negativity and one sided presentations. Hell they've even felt it necessary to post a "shall we lift restrictions on June 21st" piece, with, wait for it... opinions on both sides!

And one of their go to "zero Covidians" (Susan Michie) has been forced to indirectly reveal in that piece that she's not an epidemiological expert and is in fact relying on the alleged opinions of others!

• Options

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

CON in control in the London Assembly now - with our friends LD and GRN. Absolute humiliation for LAB in London.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Remind me, who's the Labour Mayor of London? Because he has had damn all impact...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Well reports today is they might try to go earlier.

I think we will see the government throw loads of cash at the North, they are clearly trying to get Tesla to come and already got several EV factories and we will probably see the onshoring of more things like the Heinz factory.

We will of course hear plenty of stories of downsides to Brexit (which there are many, although i don't think musicians moaning about touring or the light pollution from the lorry park will make much impact), but it always stuck with me the vox pop from Stoke where they asked a second generation immigrant, wbich way are you voting and he said Leave, they said what about all the economic damage and he said look, juat look round here, its shit, its all shit.

The government makes progress on that front, they run Got Brexit Done...regardless of if it is really just down to throwing cash at the regions or companies to go there, and what the long term impacts are when the bills finally come in.
    I agree. Said earlier I was dubious about the spinning of the Heinz story.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You have to book to go to the pub?
    Isn't happening up here.
    Pub not full, rock up.
    Pub full. Queue. More likely find pub not full.
    The pubs that my wife and I like to go to are always packed and now only take bookings. The manager said that they'd need for social distancing to be canned to remove that restriction.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

Why don't you watch the Starmer interview for yourself rather than relying on the views of Labour activists? After all, you always say that you have no axe to grind about Starmer personally. I'd be interested in your view, but not at second hand.
    I’m not really interested. I’m interested in what other people think, because I enjoy thinking about who will win the next election. But the only people talking about it are Labour activists

He could be the nicest guy in the world, who loved his mum and gave his pocket money to the Samaritans, but I wouldn’t vote for him because he tried to stop Brexit
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Will the nightclubs be open on June 21st. That's my test...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

55/45 was hardly a great result for Labour given many of the polls said it would be 65/35.
  • Options

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Up against the useless Shaun Bailey, he went backward. And we were talking about the LA.
    That's his lordship the Lord Shaun Bailey to you, or it soon will be if the Times is right.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/you-win-some-you-win-some-if-youre-a-tory-w6pztzrqv (£££)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Will the nightclubs be open on June 21st. That's my test...

Only if they act like pubs. I think some are already open on that basis.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

55/45 was hardly a great result for Labour given many of the polls said it would be 65/35.
    Like football, there is a lot to be said for eeking out a win on a bad day.
This discussion has been closed.