Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A big question after this week is whether Johnson’s leader ratings are moving up or down – political

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    ·
    5h
    Lombardy, Italy was one of the worst-hit places in the world in the 1st wave of the pandemic. Now, a year later, how many had reinfections?
    0.3%

Signs are excellent for long term immunity.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Jesus H. Christ - "scientist" on Sky now saying we need to stay locked down until everyone's had two doses months from now.

F**k right off already now. This is religious by some people now.

I wonder if any of them have views about how many people are going to die throughout Europe over the summer, given whatever we're doing, most European countries are clearly in a far worse position.

Or are they really relying on the idea that our very high level of genome sequencing is irrelevant in the fact that the "India variant" is spreading here, but apparently nowhere in Europe?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Whatever your politics, this is just..... unsettling

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial
    Joe Biden looks at a little girl in the audience, the daughter of a veteran, and says "I love those barrettes in your hair. Man I’ll tell you what, look at her she looks like she's 19 years old sitting there like a little lady with her legs crossed.""

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1398347198149152774

Deeply, deeply uncomfortable

Almost Trumpian.
    WORSE than Trump (who targets adults, as far as I know)

Check this thread. It's probably written by a Trumpite, but who cares. I defy anyone to read this without coming away and thinking Who the F is in the White House

https://twitter.com/RAMRANTS/status/930065838387863552?s=20

Biden looks like a Jimmy Savile in plain sight. He does it IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA

It is all intensely creepy
    Didn't we do this sketch last year, in the run-up to the American election?
    Check out that thread. I challenge you, if you can come away thinking Biden is fit to be POTUS, then bravo.

I cannot. This is a deeply weird man, who has no boundaries
    He strikes me as being like a grandpa. There's a reason the parents don't look freaked out.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m
    TIMES: Plan to keep face masks if infections go on rising #TomorrowsPapersToday

As I sit here in wiltshire with 6 cases per 100,000 in the last week, I wonder what we’d have to do to get away from fucking masks. I do not apologise for swearing.
    One of them might have been you...
    Very small odds, especially as I haven’t taken a test since feb and had both shots (last one 4 weeks ago).
    Wear a mask till r ,= approx = .0000000000.1 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,400
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Welcome news for some on here I think:
    Expats to get lifetime general elections vote as 15-year limit abolished
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/27/british-expats-get-lifetime-general-elections-vote-government/

So my son in Spain is to be re-enfranchised.

The Telegraph explains that Ministers believe expats should have a say because decisions made by MPs on areas such as foreign policy, defence, immigration, pensions, and trade deals affect them wherever they live.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/27/british-expats-get-lifetime-general-elections-vote-government/

Reassuring to learn it is not just crude party advantage!
    It is surely preparing the ground, in the late 2020s, 2030s, for a new Sindyref. HMG will be able to say, Well this is the agreed franchise for general elections, so Scots-born people living in rUK must have a vote
    That might happen but this is a Cameron/Osborne-era proposal, along with the seat reduction and gerrymandered boundary reviews. Ex-pats tend to vote blue, so the more the merrier.
    Seat reduction is no longer happening, and really, gerrymandered?
    For want of a better word. Purge the electoral rolls and switch to individual registration, which makes high turnover areas seem less populated than they are, then assign seats. That was the plan. I believe American Republicans adopted the scheme. Ironically it probably ended Cameron's political career because it led to Brexit, as younger voters removed from the rolls were more likely to vote Remain.
    That doesn't make sense. The latter point. Which younger voters were "removed" from the rolls, and (if wrongly) unable to re-register?

I'm not quite sure how you can reliably use electoral rolls to determine seat population when some people (students particularly) can be registered in more than one place.
    They were not unable to register, just less likely to do so. This was a factor in Brexit which is why Cameron's government (supporting Remain, of course) ran a late registration drive, even extending it, which upset the Leave side.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,157
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

The Telegraph explains that Ministers believe expats should have a say because decisions made by MPs on areas such as foreign policy, defence, immigration, pensions, and trade deals affect them wherever they live.

It is surely preparing the ground, in the late 2020s, 2030s, for a new Sindyref. HMG will be able to say, Well this is the agreed franchise for general elections, so Scots-born people living in rUK must have a vote
    Who gets the vote will be the same as those who would qualify for a Scottish passport in the event of independence. This must be announced by the Scottish government before any referendum. Tricky.
    Over 16s on the Scottish electoral register. Sounds fairly straightforward to me.
    That's not the issue here. The question is whether natural-born expatriate Scots, many living in England, get the vote. British expatriates are to have their vote restored to them.

No Expat Scots in England are registered in a different constituency.

Possibly a few expat Scots overseas may get the vote, such as Mr Connery in the Bahamas.
    A ghoulish notion, the great Scot voting from the grave.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,227

Jesus H. Christ - "scientist" on Sky now saying we need to stay locked down until everyone's had two doses months from now.

They have truly forgotten ‘protect the vulnerable’ haven’t they. Now, no one must die. Fuck business and fuck people’s mental health. I’ve gone very potty mouthed tonight. Not proud.
    Not just that, but f*ck all the other health issues that are not being treated if we go into yet more lockdowns. NHS is already drowning in backlog. Papers full every day with stories of health failures thanks to lockdown.

Where is the balance?

Where is the sense of proportion?

That's why we have politicians making the final call.
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235

I'm pretty sure that if we did then it would then be lock down until booster shots are completed for the vulnerable. Then it would be winter etc.

Just a few more weeks, flatten the curve, nearly there.
  • Options

Pagel again?
    They seem to be both obsessed by the idea that vaccines might not work, whilst also arguing that the solution is to simply to ensure that everyone gets vaccinated.

Not sure what they do if 20% of people refuse to ever get it...
  • Options

Pagel again?
    I think maybe. Didn't catch her name.

She's far worse than Gupta and Heneghan were.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    geoffw said:

What they haven't said is that they can only vote in four seats in Liverpool....

😉
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

That might happen but this is a Cameron/Osborne-era proposal, along with the seat reduction and gerrymandered boundary reviews. Ex-pats tend to vote blue, so the more the merrier.
    Voter supression is. Straight out of the GOP playbook.
    You really think GOP-scale voter suppression is happening in the UK?
    No, but I think the new ID requirement the Tories want to introduce to vote is something they've copied from them
    So they are the only country in the world that has a similar scheme?
    I honestly have no idea. But it's well established that voter fraud in Britain is almost non existant, so why the hell do the Tories want to bring it in?
    Voter ID requirement is commonplace in Europe, for example. And has it been demonstrated? Easy to dismiss something if you aren’t looking for it.
    Yes but ID cards are compulsory already in most of Europe. Hence everyone has one.

It may well be that those disenfranchised are the ID free older CDE voters in the Red Wall.
    ID free? Not if they use their bus passes. ;)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial
    Joe Biden looks at a little girl in the audience, the daughter of a veteran, and says "I love those barrettes in your hair. Man I’ll tell you what, look at her she looks like she's 19 years old sitting there like a little lady with her legs crossed.""

Almost Trumpian.

Check this thread. It's probably written by a Trumpite, but who cares. I defy anyone to read this without coming away and thinking Who the F is in the White House

Biden looks like a Jimmy Savile in plain sight. He does it IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA

Check out that thread. I challenge you, if you can come away thinking Biden is fit to be POTUS, then bravo.

Biden is American President, regardless of whether he is suitable. Same as Trump the previous four years.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

He strikes me as being like a grandpa. There's a reason the parents don't look freaked out.
    There are hundreds of these videos. Let's take just one

https://twitter.com/RAMRANTS/status/930069343412482049?s=20

"If that wasn't disturbing enough, in this clip, Biden not only touches a young woman but smells her hair, kisses her, whispering something into her ear, only to tell her "see you back home, I hope" after visibly creeping out her and who I assume is her mother."

The girl is visibly distressed and unhappy. The mother wants to punch Biden. This is not normal. And he ISN'T her "grandpa"
  • Options

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

For want of a better word. Purge the electoral rolls and switch to individual registration, which makes high turnover areas seem less populated than they are, then assign seats. That was the plan. I believe American Republicans adopted the scheme. Ironically it probably ended Cameron's political career because it led to Brexit, as younger voters removed from the rolls were more likely to vote Remain.
    That doesn't make sense. The latter point. Which younger voters were "removed" from the rolls, and (if wrongly) unable to re-register?

I'm not quite sure how you can reliably use electoral rolls to determine seat population when some people (students particularly) can be registered in more than one place.
    They were not unable to register, just less likely to do so. This was a factor in Brexit which is why Cameron's government (supporting Remain, of course) ran a late registration drive, even extending it, which upset the Leave side.
    They were also less likely to vote.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    RobD said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Voter supression is. Straight out of the GOP playbook.
    You really think GOP-scale voter suppression is happening in the UK?
    No, but I think the new ID requirement the Tories want to introduce to vote is something they've copied from them
    So they are the only country in the world that has a similar scheme?
    I honestly have no idea. But it's well established that voter fraud in Britain is almost non existant, so why the hell do the Tories want to bring it in?
    Voter ID requirement is commonplace in Europe, for example. And has it been demonstrated? Easy to dismiss something if you aren’t looking for it.
    The odd thing is, with the rise of the blue collar and retired former blue collar Tory voter, the Conservatives might have just shot their own foot off.

Voter suppression tactics are never a good look.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2021

Soo... let's sum up the last 48 hrs.. despite Leon saying it wasn't a damp squib.. Cummings is last nights fish and chip paper.. Boris found not to have broken any rules over Wallpapergate.. polls not moved .. a good week for the incumbent dontcha think.....

MUCH too soon to tell. Most people will now regard him as a lying incompetent freeloader. When voters eventually absorb all the information of the last few weeks that's what they'll be left with.

It might be that this doesn't bother them as it doesn't seem to at the moment or it might be the euphoria of the end of the pandemic. But this won't last. There is no chance whatsoever that his ratings wont go down the toilet when voters take stock.

It'll all be academic though unless SKS learns how to project himself
  • Options
    Maffew said:

I'm pretty sure that if we did then it would then be lock down until booster shots are completed for the vulnerable. Then it would be winter etc.

Someone joked on twitter earlier that the reason Pagel wants a two month extension of the lockdown rules from 21st June is to provide a nice 'bridge' to the autumn lockdown she and the rest of NOT SAGE have already got lined up.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I wonder whether we’ll still be talking about Cummings’ evidence to the HSC for as long as we’ve been talking about his ocular assessment methods.

My bet is no, because entertaining though his malicious character assassinations were, they told us nothing we didn’t already know, while there’s every reason to suppose he was either totally mistaken or wilfully misleading on matters of fact.

Rendering his evidence, as I have said before, of little value,

I think it is true that Cummings told you nothing on Wednesday that you didn't already know, or had assumed about Johnson and Hancock.

He may however have down a seed of doubt into the minds of red wall voters. Particularly, I would say, the mums.

It may not resonate now, but as the economy faulters it Cumming's testimony will be remembered, along with Carrie's wallpaper.

But what about the 'v' shaped boom cry the fanbois? Anecdote alert, I was due to fly to NI this week, but got out of it. Huzzah! My business partner, nonetheless had to go. He said nothing has reopened at Bristol Airport, some of the shops, the big bar and Frankie and Bennies have all gone, and it looks permanent. When staying in Lisburn we occasionally eat at Frankie and Bennies in Sprucefield- gone for good too. Anyway next month and July we have tickets from Cardiff, so weyhey!
    It makes me feel bad to intrude upon the grief of a Frankie and Benny's addict but perhaps those closures might be because Frankie and Benny's is a bit crap and more than a bit overpriced.
    Not a favourite of mine, unless working. My business partner is quite frugal with our expensesTwo courses for a tennerallow us the indulgence of a pint of Samual Adams' Boston beer each. Both the airport and the Lisburn branch were busy back in the day. My point is not a party political observation, just an observation. I fear for the post-pandemic post-boom economy. With a little luck, I will be wrong, and there will be no long term job losses, no inflation and no rate rises.
    I wandered through Leicester last Saturday running a few errands. Definitely quieter than an average wet May Saturday. A fair number of shops and cafes looked as if they will not be reopening.
    Let's hope it is just a transition to full scale summer opening.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Roger said:

Soo... let's sum up the last 48 hrs.. despite Leon saying it wasn't a damp squib.. Cummings is last nights fish and chip paper.. Boris found not to have broken any rules over Wallpapergate.. polls not moved .. a good week for the incumbent dontcha think.....

MUCH too soon to tell. Most people will now regard him as a lying incompetent freeloader. When voters eventually absorb all the information of the last few weeks that's what they'll be left with.

It might be that this doesn't bother them as it doesn't seem to at the moment or it might be the euphoria of the end of the pandemic. But this won't last. There is no chance whatsoever that his ratings wont go down the toilet when voters take stock.

"Most people will now regard him as a lying incompetent freeloader."

Not "most". The same people who already thought him as a lying incompetent freeloader will now be religious in their belief that he is a lying incompetent freeloader.

And how ungrateful, now he is giving you the right to vote him out. From Antibes... 😉

• Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    Just seen this story about the USA returning ancient stone carvings to Thailand, and it's an uncomfortable reminder of quite how long I wondered why that paticular bag of 'elgin' marbles was so special that we couldn't just give them back to Greece, or maybe even play 'marbles' against Greece for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57286063
  • Options

Maffew said:

Someone joked on twitter earlier that the reason Pagel wants a two month extension of the lockdown rules from 21st June is to provide a nice 'bridge' to the autumn lockdown she and the rest of NOT SAGE have already got lined up.
    Even if Covid disappears, we've now got the precedent of seeing how effective masks, social distancing and lockdowns are against influenza...
  • Options

Who's paying your overtime? The Bamfords?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

Maffew said:

Even if Covid disappears, we've now got the precedent of seeing how effective masks, social distancing and lockdowns are against influenza...
    I remain hopeful that if Johnson gets persuaded to lock us down at cost of vast economic ruination next winter in order to keep flu deaths to near zero the Tory backbench will chuck him out faster than you can say 'Rishi'.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Roger said:

Not "most". The same people who already thought him as a lying incompetent freeloader will now be religious in their belief that he is a lying incompetent freeloader.

And how ungrateful, now he is giving you the right to vote him out. From Antibes... 😉

An old pb chestnut, that nobody ever changes their mind about anything or anyone. Think about it: if it were true seats would never change hands and we would never have a change of government. I liked Boris till 2016, never really despised him till his foreign sec days, was still prepared to vote for him in 2019 to keep Corbyn out, and now would never ever vote for him again. Actions have consequences - even his.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Roger said:

Only a minority ever supported Boris.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

That's what people used to do before everyone became a suspect paedophile. They'd treat kids like puppies.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,116
    Roger said:

Who's paying your overtime? The Bamfords?
    The Bamford have an *amazing* house in Barbados, FWIW.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Maffew said:

If remain hopeful that if Johnson gets persuaded to lock us down at cost of vast economic ruination next winter in order to keep flu deaths to near zero the Tory backbench will chuck him out faster than you can say 'Rishi'.

Why on earth would you expect he would do any such thing, after his remarks about being ok with bodies piling up in the streets? As with last winter, he will only do it once its blindingly obvious it should have been done 3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Non independent sage nonsense....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Who gets the vote will be the same as those who would qualify for a Scottish passport in the event of independence. This must be announced by the Scottish government before any referendum. Tricky.
    Over 16s on the Scottish electoral register. Sounds fairly straightforward to me.
    That's not the issue here. The question is whether natural-born expatriate Scots, many living in England, get the vote. British expatriates are to have their vote restored to them.

Possibly a few expat Scots overseas may get the vote, such as Mr Connery in the Bahamas.
    Lot of ignorance here as usual, you must be living in Scotland and have an address here registered as your actual main residence on the electoral roll to get a vote.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

That's what people used to do before everyone became a suspect paedophile. They'd treat kids like puppies.
    No they didn't. No one groped little girls like that. Age 7, 12, 15? Sniffing their hair? Lunging for a kiss? It's profoundly creepy

It is also classic Jimmy Savile behaviour. Do it in plain sight so no one feels able to say, "Er, WTF happened there, that was odd". If everyone else tolerates it maybe it is OK? Yet their uneasy smiles say No, it is not OK

You have a daughter, don't you? I suggest that if your daughter, age 14, had encountered Sleepy Joe, in your presence, and he'd started sniffing her and fondling her, as in these videos, you'd make sure she was never alone with him again

• Options

Just seen this story about the USA returning ancient stone carvings to Thailand, and it's an uncomfortable reminder of quite how long I wondered why that paticular bag of 'elgin' marbles was so special that we couldn't just give them back to Greece, or maybe even play 'marbles' against Greece for them.

Lord Elgin bought the marbles, rather than stealing them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,767

Given the time that was spent educating us that even one dose offers significant levels of protection, and was a cornerstone of our prioritising first doses strategy as a result, that seems a practically Macronian comment.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Maffew said:

I'd happily make a bet that Pagel will be calling for a lockdown this autumn/winter. Not sure I'd get too many takers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Another big question is why Boris could order a nuclear strike on Bournemouth and still have higher ratings than the Leader of the Opposition...

When your captor finally let's you out of the basement and you experience the hustle and bustle of reality, you will discover that the world works differently to your perceived view.
    Really? Which of us was labouring under the comical delusion that Boris' wallpaper had the slightest political significance? Oh, right, it was you.
    And I still think at some point in the not too distant future, Johnson's wallpaper will resonate with voters. Not yet perhaps, but it will.
    Yep. When it rains, oh man it'll pour. And we'll have a brolly. Will I lend mine to those less fortunate? Not sure. I'm a nice guy but the sins of the Johnson fanbois are starting to really mount up.
    When the storm clouds gather Johnson will be doing his impression of the Ned Beatty character in Deliverance.
    Really? I thought he would be finding a fridge guaranteed to be waterproof.
    He'll still be "squealing like a pig" inside or outside the fridge.
  • Options

I'd not lose any sleep if the marbles were returned, but I don't see why they get as much attention as they do as far as artefacts go. All nations get a bit irrational over its historic treasures, even when they have been inconsistent in caring about them (we're not an exception there) previously.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

Monkeys said:

Andy_JS said:

Monkeys said:

Most people - mistakenly, I think - really dislike Dominic Cummings, to the point where media was able to gleefully report - and show video of - members of the public demonstrating outside his house after the fake news that he was in favour of Herd Immunity. No doubt leading to exactly the sorts of situations that would be security concerns.

I do wonder if journalists hate him because he essentially has the attitude of a journalist - that government is incompetent and needs sorting out - but he also has the same attitude towards journalism. He's one of them, but not.

I've decided to watch the entire 7 hours of his evidence. So far I've watched 2 hours.
    He's a historian, and he did it for the record.

Rebecca Long-Bailey doesn't fail to disappoint in her questioning that manages to completely miss the point of everything said thus far.
    A history degree from Oxford does not make somebody an historian.

(As Fysics Teacher pointed out to me the other day when I called him a scientist.)
    I'm not an historian either if it helps...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021
    Lightfoot, Chicago’s first Black female and first openly gay mayor, said on 19 May she would grant interviews marking the second anniversary of her inauguration on 20 May exclusively to journalists of color.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/28/chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-daily-caller-tucker-carlson
  • Options
    Still working on my family tree, but running out of threads to pull. I've found all 16 of my great great grandparents, 28 of my 32 gt gt gt gps and 38 of 64 gt gt gt gt gps. Which I think is pretty good for a commoner.

I found an interesting, possibly PB related thread yesterday. My grandfather's uncle (who at 10 had lived with just my 9 year old gt gf, his brother as Eastend 'Paupers' according to the census after their bootmaker father died, then moved in with his Mum who had married a German tanner in Banbury), married a lady called Edith Hoare, daughter of a @Charles Hoare.

I eagerly pulled on the thread hoping to find a link to London bankers, but found a line of Oxfordshire canal boatmen.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

Biden being 'handsy' and a bit creepy around personal space was something Democrats used to joke about to on things like The Daily Show, going so far as to include references to groping and being felt up. I remember one bit where the gag was suggesting he had been grabbing Samantha Bee's breasts for example.

I don't know if the various clips from then or more recently reflect his general behaviour, or to warrant the harshest interpretations, but they clips have been out there for a long time so it's not really new.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Do Newsnight have a new studio? Don't recognise it.
  • Options
    Four days ago. Biden goes to see George Floyd's family. His main memory of the meeting?

Floyd's daughter "wanted to sit on my lap"

I jest thee not

https://rumble.com/vhmaan-if-you-thought-biden-was-creepy-before-watch-what-he-just-said-about-george.html
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646
    IshmaelZ said:

Yes, off the Ottoman Turks.

This is the bicentenary of Greek Independence. It would be a fitting birthday gift for them to be teturned to Athens.
  • Options

Hard to keep up with Leon. One day he's AMAZED that we're not all watching the skies for UFOs, because these dozens of videos from the US show mysterious dots. Next day he's CERTAIN that the virus came from a Chinese lab, because a Taiwanese website and a range of Trumpites say so. Today he's CONVINCED that Biden is a paedophile, because he's watched dozens of videos that persuade him.

You need to get out more, mate. Lockdownitis and obsession with stuff on the internet is a thing.

Leon deduced from stuff on twitter that covid was going to be a thing six weeks before most people did. You are in danger of sounding like someone in about 1490 complaining about all this stuff in these "printed" "books". A lot of nonsense ends up on the internet, simply because everything ends up on the Internet. The dozens of videos of Biden are what they are (unless you are claiming they are deep fakes? Nobody else is) and are pretty gruesome.

The lab escape theory is absolutely not limited to trumpites or to Taiwan.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Hard to keep up with Leon. One day he's AMAZED that we're not all watching the skies for UFOs, because these dozens of videos from the US show mysterious dots. Next day he's CERTAIN that the virus came from a Chinese lab, because a Taiwanese website and a range of Trumpites say so. Today he's CONVINCED that Biden is a paedophile, because he's watched dozens of videos that persuade him.

You need to get out more, mate. Lockdownitis and obsession with stuff on the internet is a thing.

For sure. I got jabbed today, second time

I'm immune in two weeks and then I will resume my life, and stop surfing Twitter 24/7

That said, nothing I have presented is wrong. Chances are the virus DID come from the lab, there IS something very strange happening in America vis-a-vis "UFOs", and Biden IS ewwwwww with young females. All undeniable

But I am relentless and *forensic*, in this obsessional lockdown mood, and it annoys those who disagree, because they cannot adduce contrary evidence
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I went to a bar in Elgin a year or so ago. The only thing it was lacking was sawdust on the floor. It made Wetherspoons look like The Savoy Grill
  • Options

Lightfoot, Chicago’s first Black female and first openly gay mayor, said on 19 May she would grant interviews marking the second anniversary of her inauguration on 20 May exclusively to journalists of color.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/28/chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-daily-caller-tucker-carlson

I know what will solve racism: more racism.
  • Options

Also, this is just a fucking moronic take on UFOs. "Mysterious dots" do not confound the US military and political elite
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

This is the bicentenary of Greek Independence. It would be a fitting birthday gift for them to be teturned to Athens.
    They were paid for in the first place with the proceeds of imperialist extortion and theft by that shit Pericles. The more you know of their history the harder it is to get worked up about their current location.
  • Options
    Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

I went to a bar in Elgin a year or so ago. The only thing it was lacking was sawdust on the floor. It made Wetherspoons look like The Savoy Grill
    How do you know what the inside of a 'Spoons looks like?

Do you go into them just to sneer at people?

Maybe on long weekends to Hartlepool?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    I have a question.

Promoted Twitter ads are of course contemptible pish. I’m currently being bombarded by a Land Rover UK tweet about embracing the great British outdoors which features the Isle of Harris, a place quite close to my heart. This tweet was originally popped out on 17/05/21, has 12 rts, 2 quote tweets and 106 likes, also 4 replies, none of which are complimentary. Am I missing something or is this not a remarkably pisspoor return on whatever it cost LRUK?
  • Options
    Reading Lord Sumption's recent book two minor things did surprise me - he's a fan of John Bercow (insofar in defending his speakership actions and declaiming the denial of his peerage), and seems, on balance, to support PR.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

Biden being 'handsy' and a bit creepy around personal space was something Democrats used to joke about to on things like The Daily Show, going so far as to include references to groping and being felt up. I remember one bit where the gag was suggesting he had been grabbing Samantha Bee's breasts for example.

I don't know if the various clips from then or more recently reflect his general behaviour, or to warrant the harshest interpretations, but they clips have been out there for a long time so it's not really new.
    It's new because of the bizarre, uneasy remarks he made today, and the hashtag #CreepyJoe is trending

So yes, it is news

Here:

"Joe Biden looks at a little girl in the audience, the daughter of a veteran, and says "I love those barrettes in your hair. Man I’ll tell you what, look at her she looks like she's 19 years old sitting there like a little lady with her legs crossed.""

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1398347198149152774?s=20
  • Options
    RobD said:

I know what will solve racism: more racism.
    Sounds homeopathic.
  • Options

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

I was going to say Yates Wine Lodge which I used to like and did have sawdust on the floor but I didn't think anyone would know what it was.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Four days ago. Biden goes to see George Floyd's family. His main memory of the meeting?

Floyd's daughter "wanted to sit on my lap"

I jest thee not

https://rumble.com/vhmaan-if-you-thought-biden-was-creepy-before-watch-what-he-just-said-about-george.html

Given what his opponents claim about his mental state we should be grateful he remembered the meeting at all?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

It's new because of the bizarre, uneasy remarks he made today, and the hashtag #CreepyJoe is trending

So yes, it is news

Here:

"Joe Biden looks at a little girl in the audience, the daughter of a veteran, and says "I love those barrettes in your hair. Man I’ll tell you what, look at her she looks like she's 19 years old sitting there like a little lady with her legs crossed.""

I didn't say it wasn't news, just that knowledge of his, shall we say, demeanour, has been a running joke for a long time.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

I recommend a walk around back streets of St Johns Wood.

Leon might learn something about his local area.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nations don't tend to give gifts. Even seemingly altruistic acts will expect some benefit. So regardless of whether it's right we currently have them, what benefit will we get if we do return them? Not sure it'd even get us tangible goodwill.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

Reading Lord Sumption's recent book two minor things did surprise me - he's a fan of John Bercow (insofar in defending his speakership actions and declaiming the denial of his peerage), and seems, on balance, to support PR.

Sumption is a typical member of the liberal elite on most issues. It's just on lockdown that he differs from most of them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

I was going to say Yates Wine Lodge which I used to like and did have sawdust on the floor but I didn't think anyone would know what it was.
    I think I remember one of those from my days in Southampton. I don't believe it was my favourite place..
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited May 2021
    Roger said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

There are 37 still going apparently. Used to drink at the Bolton one doing my PGCE.
    It was the nicest of the town centre pubs then.
    After the Man and Scythe of course.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

So yes, it is news

Here:

I didn't say it wasn't news, just that knowledge of his, shall we say, demeanour, has been a running joke for a long time.
    But he keeps providing NEW evidence of being really rather strange, and disquieting
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

So yes, it is news

Here:

He was called Creepy Joe long before he was called Sleepy Joe. I advised PB of this back in the Obama days and sagely advised against betting on him for that reason. And of course was rightly ignored by anyone with sense. :lol: But it was still creepy, even before senility set in. He did a good line in creeping up behind women whilst on a public stage and massaging them or whispering in their ear. He even did it to Hillary Clinton, which Lord knows would take balls of steel.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    kle4 said:

PR support is surprising in somebody brainy? I'd have thought the opposite if anything. Hampstead and Oxbridge are hotbeds of it.
  • Options
    Frosty, after his triumph of concluding a fantastic deal which he now thinks is shit, moves onto the Union

https://twitter.com/gallardo_ortega/status/1398277751459753986?s=20
  • Options
    After the ludicrous CL revamp, UEFA going headlong to evaporate any vestiges of goodwill gained from the ESL fallout.
    Away goals to be scrapped!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57286931
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Sumption is a typical member of the liberal elite on most issues. It's just on lockdown that he differs from most of them.
    I don't think from this book that he is necessarily that typical given his, in general, distaste of judicial overreach and the encroachment of the law into politics, when those derided as liberal elite by the government seem to like that.

The book is very well written, but as will probably not surprise, the chapter on Covid seems like it is written by a completely different person (the other chapters are all adaptions of lectures/speeches given at various other times), throwing assumptions about motivations around and making all manner of assertions and accusations with far less persuasiveness or reasoning than the other chapters.

He may well be right in the end that history will view lockdown measures as due to a degree of hysteria, and he certainly is right on some of the points made which have enumerated on here too (eg guidance vs law, statements not being law etc), but he comes across as a bit of a crank (not least in seeming to presume the government was worried debate inthe commons would have prevented the passing of some of the rules - I don't doubt the government hates any debate, and that it would pass regardless doesn't make any avoidance ok, but there's a definite 'parliament woulda stopped this' vibe.

One thing is clear is he really disliked the thing Cox said about parliament not being fit to sit in 2019, he references it like 5 times.
  • Options

Frosty, after his triumph of concluding a fantastic deal which he now thinks is shit, moves onto the Union

I assume transcripts of meetings with Orban will be in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast stat?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

PR support is surprising in somebody brainy? I'd have thought the opposite if anything. Hampstead and Oxbridge are hotbeds of it.
    It was surprising because, other than where Covid is concerned, while he raised issues with our constitutional and political situation and culture, he comes across (to me) as quite traditional in his interpretation of the powers of government and parliament etc, and so I'd have assumed he'd weigh in on the side of FPTP as the more 'traditional' position. It was not uncritical of PR though.
  • Options
    Looks like the UK may overtake Israel soon as the country with the most vaccinations. They seem to have stalled on about 62%.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I assume transcripts of meetings with Orban will be in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast stat?
    'The prime minister raised concerns about Islamophobia, corruption, criminality and insecurity driven populism in the government of his opposite number. Boris Johnson replied that...'
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

So yes, it is news

Here:

But he keeps providing NEW evidence of being really rather strange, and disquieting
    Obama has a high opinion of him and also knows him well. Much better than you or I do. This outweighs your output on this subject for me. But that's not to denigrate. You do have your moments and one will no doubt be along soon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

It was surprising because, other than where Covid is concerned, while he raised issues with our constitutional and political situation and culture, he comes across (to me) as quite traditional in his interpretation of the powers of government and parliament etc, and so I'd have assumed he'd weigh in on the side of FPTP as the more 'traditional' position. It was not uncritical of PR though.
    Ah ok. FPTP as Steak & Kidney Pud. Yes, I see.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

So, the government is enfranchising Brits abroad who may not have paid UK taxes in two decades (and who won't need any ID) while making it harder for Brits who don't drive cars (and therefore don't carry photo ID on them).

It does sniff slightly of opportunism.
    I'm still hoping the government will drop the photo ID for voting idea.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

The bit that's most baffling is have they not looked beyond the UK?

Israel is - as a percentage population jabbed - only just ahead of us now.

There is, inevitably a lag between injection and protection, but do you know how many new Covid cases Israel had today?

Twelve.

Which, for the hard of understanding, is the square root of sweet fuck all.

And the US is opening up without issues. And so for fuck's sake is Europe. Denmark has removed almost all restrictions now (just nightclubs remaining), while France is loosening every day.

Why is it only our scientists who are utterly terrified of a few cases?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

So yes, it is news

Here:

Obama has a high opinion of him and also knows him well. Much better than you or I do. This outweighs your output on this subject for me. But that's not to denigrate. You do have your moments and one will no doubt be along soon.
    At the very least you are guilty of double standards.

The Left made much of Trump's ugly attitudes to women. And rightly so. "Grab them by the pussy"? That is just sad, and bad, and depressing. As for the daughter thing, ICK

And then there's Epstein, of course

But here we have Biden behaving, arguably, in an even creepier way - this girl he references today is 11, I believe? - plus there is a decade of video evidence of him being "gropey". In a rather Jimmy Savile way. Do it blatantly on camera and it will go unremarked

The Democrats did not let Trump get away with his attitudes, and behaviour - but I do not see why Biden should get a pass, just because he's one of theirs

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Looks like the UK may overtake Israel soon as the country with the most vaccinations. They seem to have stalled on about 62%.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

It's about 6% of population to go, so that's what, roughly 4m doses? Maybe 3 weeks at current rates.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon deduced from stuff on twitter that covid was going to be a thing six weeks before most people did. You are in danger of sounding like someone in about 1490 complaining about all this stuff in these "printed" "books". A lot of nonsense ends up on the internet, simply because everything ends up on the Internet. The dozens of videos of Biden are what they are (unless you are claiming they are deep fakes? Nobody else is) and are pretty gruesome.

The lab escape theory is absolutely not limited to trumpites or to Taiwan.
    Even Sunil is open to the lab theory!
  • Options
    Number of countries using each vaccine:

Oxford/AZ 165
    Pfizer 98
    Sinopharm 54
    Moderna 45
    Sputnik 43
    Sinovak 28
    Janssen 24

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56237778
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

So, the government is enfranchising Brits abroad who may not have paid UK taxes in two decades (and who won't need any ID) while making it harder for Brits who don't drive cars (and therefore don't carry photo ID on them).

Don’t you have to submit ID to be registered as a foreign elector in the first place?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Also. Won't many of these people have a vote in their country of residence?
    I, certainly, never resented not being able to vote in the UK whilst living overseas. None of my business. Not a taxpayer nor a resident. Who was I to judge about stuff which would have no effect on my life?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Number of countries using each vaccine:

Oxford/AZ 165
    Pfizer 98
    Sinopharm 54
    Moderna 45
    Sputnik 43
    Sinovak 28
    Janssen 24

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56237778

That's a pretty misleading way to look at it, because it ranks Luxembourg as having the same size as India or the US.

Plus Covax bought AZ (because it was the best value), and is shipping lots of small quantities to countries across Africa.

This year, by far the greatest number of distributed doses worldwide will be Pfizer: they're currently estimating three billion doses (at $18/piece).

AZ will probably be more like a 1.2-1.3bn , because they've had more production problems (biologics are harder), and they've also seen orders cancelled by a lot of developed countries. Moderna will be around a billion.

I don't know about the Chinese. Sputnik-V, while much talked about, is tiny. I think they're currently at around 45 millions doses distributed in total - and quite a number of these have been rejected for QC reasons.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Don’t you have to submit ID to be registered as a foreign elector in the first place?
    You don't send your passport, do you?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Another big question is why Boris could order a nuclear strike on Bournemouth and still have higher ratings than the Leader of the Opposition...

When your captor finally let's you out of the basement and you experience the hustle and bustle of reality, you will discover that the world works differently to your perceived view.
    Really? Which of us was labouring under the comical delusion that Boris' wallpaper had the slightest political significance? Oh, right, it was you.
    And I still think at some point in the not too distant future, Johnson's wallpaper will resonate with voters. Not yet perhaps, but it will.
    Ah, of course, the desperate appeal to some unspecified time in the future when you'll be proved right in defiance of all the evidence to date. We really need to come up with a succinct term for that particular gambit, not least because of how common it is at the moment...

'The Appeal to Futurity'? 'One-Dayism'? I like 'One-Dayism'.
    There does seem to be a shared opinion that Boris messing up so badly it will lead to his downfall is inevitable. ‘One Dayism’ is perfect. Maybe it is true, but I’d like to see people put a % chance on it rather than play the free option
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

You don't send your passport, do you?
    It was requested when I registered, but maybe there are different requirements for different councils.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

After the ludicrous CL revamp, UEFA going headlong to evaporate any vestiges of goodwill gained from the ESL fallout.

Personally I don't think Away goals scored in Extra Time should count, just normal time.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ah, of course, the desperate appeal to some unspecified time in the future when you'll be proved right in defiance of all the evidence to date. We really need to come up with a succinct term for that particular gambit, not least because of how common it is at the moment...

There does seem to be a shared opinion that Boris messing up so badly it will lead to his downfall is inevitable. ‘One Dayism’ is perfect. Maybe it is true, but I’d like to see people put a % chance on it rather than play the free option
    It is inevitable. Happens to everyone. However, it may be 6 months, it may be 10 years.
    I agree. There seems to be an idea that it is certain to be "soon".
    Right now some folk are sounding like Tories on election night 97. Insistent they'll be back at the next election.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Post Millennial
    @TPostMillennial

Almost Trumpian.

So yes, it is news

Here:

At the very least you are guilty of double standards.

The Left made much of Trump's ugly attitudes to women. And rightly so. "Grab them by the pussy"? That is just sad, and bad, and depressing. As for the daughter thing, ICK

And then there's Epstein, of course

But here we have Biden behaving, arguably, in an even creepier way - this girl he references today is 11, I believe? - plus there is a decade of video evidence of him being "gropey". In a rather Jimmy Savile way. Do it blatantly on camera and it will go unremarked

The Democrats did not let Trump get away with his attitudes, and behaviour - but I do not see why Biden should get a pass, just because he's one of theirs
    It's not double standards. It's my honest opinion reached as impartially as is humanly possible that Joe Biden is not a pedophile. I don't let politics interfere with such assessments. Can you say the same? Well of course you can. But would it also be true? I'm not so sure. You've put out lots of "Biden is senile" stuff too, which is Trumpian propaganda, and you do seem to access copious material from dodgy far right sources. You'll admit that, I'm sure. None of this is to denigrate. I stress that again because it bears being stressed again. But there has to be a health warning. You can't completely divorce the message from the messenger. Nobody can.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    edited May 2021
    malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Lot of ignorance here as usual, you must be living in Scotland and have an address here registered as your actual main residence on the electoral roll to get a vote.
    It would be only fair that if expat Scots get to vote in an Indyref that non-Scots living in Scotland are denied a vote. (Although I suspect that the original suggestion has nothing to do with fairness.)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Personally I don't think Away goals scored in Extra Time should count, just normal time.
    That is certainly arguable. However, the whole idea is to stop you going away in the first leg, sticking 11 behind the ball and wasting time from minute one.
    Adds an extra dimension.
    But hey. Why should I give a monkeys about European football? None of my concern. Again.
  • Options
    isam said:

No, I think the consensus view is that he will be very hard to shift and is likely to be PM for many years. Also my view.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

That is certainly arguable. However, the whole idea is to stop you going away in the first leg, sticking 11 behind the ball and wasting time from minute one.
    Adds an extra dimension.
    But hey. Why should I give a monkeys about European football? None of my concern. Again.
    Oh I agree that Away Goals in general is important. It just always struck me as completely unfair if it ended up as 2-1 in the first leg, then 2-1 (3-3) in the second that if the away team scored one in Extra Time the home team would now need to score 2 or be eliminated. When the home team never got the extra 30 minutes to score another away goal, it shouldn't count then.

Away goals should count at the 90th minute, then if nobody wins in extra time it should go to penalties.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    rcs1000 said:

The bit that's most baffling is have they not looked beyond the UK?

Israel is - as a percentage population jabbed - only just ahead of us now.

There is, inevitably a lag between injection and protection, but do you know how many new Covid cases Israel had today?

Twelve.

Which, for the hard of understanding, is the square root of sweet fuck all.

And the US is opening up without issues. And so for fuck's sake is Europe. Denmark has removed almost all restrictions now (just nightclubs remaining), while France is loosening every day.

Why is it only our scientists who are utterly terrified of a few cases?
    It's not just our scientists. The governmnent went out of its way to scare people about the virus last year, and we were for a long time, and may still be, the most fearful country in the world about it.
  • Options
    @Leon:

Of course the Left* are guilty of double standards.

And so are the Right*. Because many of those sticking it to Joe now, seemed singularly unbothered by Trump.

* And by Left/Right, I means some subset of people on the Left/Right
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

The taxes point is a red herring as we enfranchise unemployed people and 18-year-olds who may never have paid any taxes at all.

And France, Germany, Holland, Italy and Canada require ID to vote don't they? And Northern Ireland has required it for many years.
  • Options
    isam said:

My own view is that Boris will retire after the pandemic is over worldwide in order to join the US and Far Eastern speaking circuits. I doubt he will fight another election unless it is held very early. Boris is in his mid-50s (three weeks to his 57th birthday) which is hardly ancient but is already older than Tony Blair and David Cameron when they left Downing Street.
This discussion has been closed.