Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Following the explosive testimony by Dom Cummings Matt Hancock now betting favourite to be next Cabi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited May 2021 in General
imageFollowing the explosive testimony by Dom Cummings Matt Hancock now betting favourite to be next Cabinet exit – politicalbetting.com

Firstly an apology. I was totally wrong when I predicted yesterday that the Dom Cummings appearance today before MPs would be a damp squib and would not live up to its billing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    First.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    Compare and contrast

A Washington Post journalist. The actual Washington Post factchecker. This time last year:

"Glenn Kessler
    @GlennKesslerWP
    I fear @tedcruz missed the scientific animation in the video that shows how it is virtually impossible for this virus jump from the lab. Or the many interviews with actual scientists. We deal in facts, and viewers can judge for themselves."

WE DEAL IN FACTS

VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1256267931220049920?s=20

And now, the same guy, a year later:

"Glenn Kessler
    @GlennKesslerWP
    NEW #FactChecker --> Timeline: How the Wuhan lab-leak theory suddenly became credible"

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1397166166590767111?s=20

Not a shred of remorse, no apology, not even a Whoops!

WE DEAL IN FACTS

He actually says this in his own piece

"As a reader service, here is a timeline of key events that have led to this reassessment. In some instances, important information was available from the start but was generally ignored. But in other cases, some experts fought against the conventional wisdom and began to build a credible case, rooted in science, that started to change people’s minds. This has led to renewed calls for a real investigation into the lab’s activities before the coronavirus emerged."

I wonder who was "generally ignoring" important information, Mr We-Deal-With-Facts-And-Actual-Scientists?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

If Johnson does get rid of Hancock he's effectively confirming that all of the stuff Cummings has said today is true, so by that basis I make Hancock safe.

If Hancock is transferred elsewhere?
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Europa League Final 2000 BST

Villareal 4.4
    Draw 3.65
    Man U 1.99

Prices via betfair.com
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    Lay the favourite.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited May 2021
    That's a lay and trade out once this is all over. There's no way Boris can dump Hancock without giving Dom credibility which he will want to avoid at all costs given everything else alleged.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Sandpit said:

Lay the favourite.

United or Hancock?
    Or both?
  • Options
    eek said:

If Johnson does get rid of Hancock he's effectively confirming that all of the stuff Cummings has said today is true, so by that basis I make Hancock safe.

Bet's a loser.

But Hancock has been Health Secretary for nearly three years now, nearly half that time under a pandemic, which in political years is decade, so a transfer upwards/sidewards says Cummuings was talking rubbish.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    eek said:

The possibility that Hancock may be moved in the next reshuffle has previously been discussed - the theory being that a new broom at Health would be part of the process of drawing a line under the pandemic.

Johnson could always give Williamson the boot and move Hancock to Education, but that's a pure guess on my part, of course.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    eek said:

Hancock is associated with successful vaccines. Cummings with pointless eye tests. Whether fair or unfair, that’s where we are.

There are rumours he is to be moved to Education. In a way, that would make sense. That of course piles the pressure on Williamson, the one cabinet minister whose performance under Johnson has been absolutely without any redeeming feature whatsoever.

For that reason as well, I’m not tempted.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Amazing random stat - apparently Elon Musk was worth $27bn at the start of 2020, and his net worth was $185bn by the start of 2021 (though it fluctuates a lot month to month). That's downright insane. Even Bezos's wealth didn't rise that steeply in a single year.
  • Options

eek said:

Bet's a loser.

But Hancock has been Health Secretary for nearly three years now, nearly half that time under a pandemic, which in political years is decade, so a transfer upwards/sidewards says Cummuings was talking rubbish.
    Isn’t Hancock one of the ministers who were thought not to buy the Cult of Dom? Maybe this was just personal spite.

Of course, he is a liar, and not very competent, albeit he is more trustworthy and more competent than Cummings. But I’m doubtful about how much pressure he’s under.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    Yes. Initially I thought the scattergun approach wouldn't yield concrete results for him, but in fact seven hours of relentlessly extensive and diverse testimony has just provided too much juice for the media. The kitchen-sink and bulldozer approach, which has maybe worked for Cummings many times in his life, without him ever needing to have established full coherence of his view of things.
  • Options

If he can at least delay departure until an overall reshuffle he can claim it is unrelated to any such claims, particularly if Hancock goes (or is demoted) quietly, needing a less intense job etc after the Covid years.
  • Options
    Incidentally, probably unnoticed amongst the Jeremy and Dom show, another select committee has given the government another shellacking.

https://www.tes.com/news/covid-catch-up-schools-no-plan-dfe-resistant-learning-covid-lessons
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Bet's a loser.

Isn’t Hancock one of the ministers who were thought not to buy the Cult of Dom? Maybe this was just personal spite.

Of course, he is a liar, and not very competent, albeit he is more trustworthy and more competent than Cummings. But I’m doubtful about how much pressure he’s under.
    I did hear that Hancock and the PM got into a heated argument over Covid last March/April/May but that was eventually fixed.

I do admire Hancock, he definitely subscribes to David Cameron's view of Cummings, which is shared by many, including Priti Patel.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Classic Dom
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    “Explosive” = possibly having some relationship with the truth, even if only at ships in the night level? One can see how the media class were taken in by him given their reporting continues to be, let’s be charitable, slightly superficial.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    kle4 said:

If he can at least delay departure until an overall reshuffle he can claim it is unrelated to any such claims, particularly if Hancock goes (or is demoted) quietly, needing a less intense job etc after the Covid years.
    I expect an Autumn reshuffle as suggested to provide a fresh look for the conference

I also expect Hancock will not be demoted but moved to another important ministry
  • Options

Yes. Initially I thought the scattergun approach wouldn't yield concrete results for him, but in fact seven hours of relentlessly extensive testimony has just provided too much juice for the media. The relentless bulldozer approach, which has maybe worked for Cummings many times in his life, without him ever needing to have established full coherence.

That segue from Covid-19 to Trump wanting to bomb the Middle East to Carrie Antoinette paralysing Downing Street because of a story in The Times about the dog is what will be fun for the media.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I'm not sure what Dominic gains from this? We thought last year that he was a nasty little b*stard and now he shows that's true. Is he telling the full truth? Two words ... "Barnard Castle."

Mind you, wee Jimmy showed the same thing with poor old Salmond's mangling.

Like watching France versus Wales at rugby. You want them both to lose.
  • Options

Yes. Initially I thought the scattergun approach wouldn't yield concrete results for him, but in fact seven hours of relentlessly extensive testimony has just provided too much juice for the media. The relentless bulldozer approach, which has maybe worked for Cummings many times in his life without him needing too much coherence.

I would have thought he would be unsuccessful in his goals at the Committee, but as you say the sheer amount and length of time would appear to help his efforts considerably - a lot may slip through, especially with wilder claims distracting, but I may be wrong on that as a few distracting petty claims in an hour or two of testimony is different to some wilder claims distracting from a lot more than that. Fair play to him for preparing for it - lots phone it in at such times, or only have energy for an opening salvo.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

You are absolutely right. No matter how unconvincing Hhhancock is tomorrow.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I'm not sure what Dominic gains from this? We thought last year that he was a nasty little b*stard and now he shows that's true. Is he telling the full truth? Two words ... "Barnard Castle."

Like watching France versus Wales England at rugby. You want them both to lose.

FTFY :smile:
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Definite loser today is Sunak.

Tory MPs now think Cummings will be back in Downing Street if Sunak becomes PM.
  • Options

CD13 said:

I would say, good news for the other challengers.

But then I thought - who are they?

Actually, I’m not sure I agree. Surely the one man who still sees him as an asset is the big loser? There must be huge question marks in the mind of every Tory MP about Michael Gove’s judgement.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    CD13 said:

What tint are your glasses?
  • Options

CD13 said:

Rishi is a billionaire ain't he? Have we ever had a billionaire PM before?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I expect an Autumn reshuffle as suggested to provide a fresh look for the conference

I also expect Hancock will not be demoted but moved to another important ministry
    As long as he does not reject it or leak complaints then they can get past claims he is being demoted. Health is a pretty big and important ministry, with prestige (others may be important but lack prestige), so ending up at MHCLG might be seen as a demotion, but it can be defended as not being one, even if it is no promotion (eg to a Great Office - although the public might regard Health as more important than some of those).

DCMS would be a demotion though.

Or Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

Actually, I’m not sure I agree. Surely the one man who still sees him as an asset is the big loser? There must be huge question marks in the mind of every Tory MP about Michael Gove’s judgement.
    I am fairly certain that Gove is currently having a crisis of confidence.

If Scotland goes independent in the next few years then Brexit will a factor behind that.

Proud Scottish Unionist Gove helped Scotland secede is the stuff that keeps Gove awake at night.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    kle4 said:

Amazing random stat - apparently Elon Musk was worth $27bn at the start of 2020, and his net worth was $185bn by the start of 2021 (though it fluctuates a lot month to month). That's downright insane. Even Bezos's wealth didn't rise that steeply in a single year.

He wears sack cloth and shows us the way

• Options

ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

If Scotland goes independent in the next few years then Brexit will a factor behind that.

Proud Scottish Unionist Gove helped Scotland secede is the stuff that keeps Gove awake at night.
    Not having damaged the education of millions of children with his botched exam reform?

Well, it takes all sorts.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

His father in law is. I suppose with his own wealth and that of his wife he may be close to being one? (closer than me at any rate).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    I know you're All About Dom, but the lab leak story is pretty mind-blowing: in particular, the way the media have reported it and how they have changed their stance 180 degrees without shame or apology. This thread. My God.

"Drew Holden
    @DrewHolden360

That the Covid pandemic could’ve leaked from a lab in Wuhan went from terrible, racist conspiracy theory to plausible overnight for the mainstream media, without a shred of accountability.

If you don’t believe me, look at these stories side-by-side, then vs. now"

"But it wasn’t just NYT. There’s a lot of ammo from @CNN, too.

Not even two months ago, they ran a piece writing off the lab leak theory as “like something out of a comic book.”

Yesterday, the tone had changed, without any reference to their own role in the previous debate."

"For @BBCNews, the lab leak theory went from a conspiracy theory on par with China’s suggestion that the US created the virus to “all hypotheses are on the table” without an ounce of self awareness."

I agree with one of his conclusions

"Instead, because they hated Trump so much, they preferred to trust a lab run by shadowy hostile autocrats who had every incentive to lie (and long history of lying) about something that could turn out to be the most consequential coverup in living memory.

That’s...not good."

Whole thread worth a look. A lesson here

https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/status/1397334751774658562?s=20
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

He's not a billionaire, his wife is a multi millionaire because her father is a billionaire.

Because of the time value of money we're not likely to have ever had a billionaire as PM.

I'm trying to think, relatively speaking, the richest PM we've ever had.

Thatcher was quite wealthy thanks to her husband's business interests.

Going back further it might be the Earl of Derby who was worth £7 million back in the 19th century, which must be worth £500 million in today's money?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

For some reason I always forget about him being Scottish.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

Not having damaged the education of millions of children with his botched exam reform?

A botched reform can be fixed, Scotland seceding cannot.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

I wonder if he would, in relative terms, be richer than the current record holder, the 14th Earl of Derby who was worth around £7 million at his death in 1869, but that’s not a billion.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/26/politics/biden-queen-elizabeth/index.html

White House finalizing plans for Biden to meet with Queen Elizabeth II
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

His father in law is. I suppose with his own wealth and that of his wife he may be close to being one? (closer than me at any rate).
    Father in law isn't the same thing. I'm sure he's closer than me also to being one.
  • Options
    The richest person to become British Prime Minister was Edward Stanley the 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869) who had a personal fortune in excess of £7 million (about £444 million in today's terms).

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/richest-british-prime-minister
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

He's not a billionaire, his wife is a multi millionaire because her father is a billionaire.

Because of the time value of money we're not likely to have ever had a billionaire as PM.

Going back further it might be the Earl of Derby who was worth £7 million back in the 19th century, which must be worth £500 million in today's money?
    Measuring Worth makes the following calculations:

If you want to compare the value of a £7,000,000 0s 0d Commodity in 1869 there are four choices. In 2019 the relative:
    real price of that commodity is £651,400,000.00
    labour value of that commodity is £4,241,000,000.00
    income value of that commodity is £6,152,000,000.00
    economic share of that commodity is £15,290,000,000.00
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited May 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

A botched reform can be fixed, Scotland seceding cannot.
    It can as Union matters are reserved to Westminster, so as the UK government is refusing to have an indyref2 there is nothing the SNP can do about it
  • Options

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/26/politics/biden-queen-elizabeth/index.html

White House finalizing plans for Biden to meet with Queen Elizabeth II

"Can we find a Head of State older and more doddering than Biden himself?"
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited May 2021

JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

Heseltine would have been the richest PM in my lifetime had he won the Tory leadership in 1990, he made the ST rich list on more than a few occasions. The Heseltine family has a net worth of £300 million

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-sunday-times-rich-list-2017-the-top-10-in-wales-7xt5wdj67
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

JBriskin3 said:

CD13 said:

You can look it up here: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

It says 7 million in 1850 is 964 million today, so pretty close!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    Anyhoo, Unionists will be glad to hear that even amidst all the head office's travails BBC Scotland is still putting the British into BBC.

• Options

The richest person to become British Prime Minister was Edward Stanley the 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869) who had a personal fortune in excess of £7 million (about £444 million in today's terms).

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/richest-british-prime-minister

Wouldn't the Duke of Wellington have been richer?
  • Options

Prime Minister on three separate occasions, yet for less than 4 years total. Different times indeed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Sounds like a hard act for Sir Keir and Piers to follow - I wont be watching that either!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

For some reason I always forget about him being Scottish.
    I try to
    :/
  • Options

Wouldn't the Duke of Wellington have been richer?
    I doubt it. The Duke of Wellington earned most of his money, including £400,000 granted to him for his triumph over Napoleon. Remember, he was a younger son and the family fortune went to his brother Richard.
  • Options

Anyhoo, Unionists will be glad to hear that even amidst all the head office's travails BBC Scotland is still putting the British into BBC.

I genuinely wonder if that was a hamfisted attempt at 'find the local(national) angle' as much as any spin, but you'd know their form on such matters better than I.
  • Options

Car giant Nissan is reportedly in advanced talks to build a huge electric car battery plant in the UK.

Will they charge us?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

If you honestly think BBC Scotland is not biased towards SNP you must be blind, dumb and deaf.

You've picked out one story where they've chosen to aim towards impariality for a change.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited May 2021
    Mr Fenman,

"What tint are your glasses?"

Bojo is an over-promoted lazy **** who is yet to finish a sentence. Cummings and he make a good pair. They're both up their own arses. The same for Salmond and Wee Jimmy.

But The COVID year has shown how basically stupid our press is. Never mind the facts, print a story. Although I had laugh at Peston for mixing up antibodies and antigens. Better to let them think you're stupid than to remove all doubt.

Not many have enhanced their reputations.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Fenman,

Bojo is an over-promoted lazy **** who is yet to finish a sentence. Cummings and he make a good pair. They're both up their own arses. The same for Salmond and Wee Jimmy.

But The COVID year has shown how basically stupid our press is. Never mind the facts, print a story. Although I had laugh at Peston for mixing up antibodies and antigens. Better to let them think you're stupid than to remove all doubt.

I’ll put you down as a ‘maybe.’
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2021
    I missed this the other month...

Britishvolt said it had bought the 235-acre (95 hectare) Blyth Power Station site and would have "spades in the soil" by the summer.

And potentially one on site of Coventry airport.

Does seem like EV production is really stepping up.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    Setting aside one's personal views of Cummings, Barnard Castle etc. today's session was absolutely gripping, endlessly fascinating. I suspect few commentators on here or elsewhere watched the whole thing, and the snippets don't do it justice.

If I were still teaching politics (which I did in a previous life), I could get a whole term's teaching out of it, entitled something like "The Machinery of Government in a Time of Crisis". Tons of material on the PM, ministers, SPADs, the civil service, departments, government agencies etc. etc. Dom covered a vast range of stuff in the seven hours.

I'd then set the following essay: "Assess the strengths and weaknesses of our current political system and the machinery of government for dealing with a crisis like Covid". (Obviously, students would draw on a much wider range of stuff than Dom's tour de force). I'm with Richard Tyndall and others - it was gripping as well as coruscating, and may have more influence on future events than some suspect. Or not, who knows.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Fenman,

God I forgot about that classic from Prof Peston...there has been so many incidents.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

I genuinely wonder if that was a hamfisted attempt at 'find the local(national) angle' as much as any spin, but you'd know their form on such matters better than I.
    That sounds about right to me.

It's just the same as when there's a hurricane in Jamaica that makes first or second story on the main bulletin, so the local news programme interviews a woman whose brother lives in Kingston and got slightly wet in it.
  • Options

Setting aside one's personal views of Cummings, Barnard Castle etc. today's session was absolutely gripping, endlessly fascinating. I suspect few commentators on here or elsewhere watched the whole thing, and the snippets don't do it justice.

If I were still teaching politics (which I did in a previous life), I could get a whole term's teaching out of it, entitled something like "The Machinery of Government in a Time of Crisis". Tons of material on the PM, ministers, SPADs, the civil service, departments, government agencies etc. etc. Dom covered a vast range of stuff in the seven hours.

I'd then set the following essay: "Assess the strengths and weaknesses of our current political system and the machinery of government for dealing with a crisis like Covid". (Obviously, students would draw on a much wider range of stuff than Dom's tour de force). I'm with Richard Tyndall and others - it was gripping as well as coruscating, and may have more influence on future events than some suspect. Or not, who knows.

I'd be interested in the book version - takes some of the heat out of things.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

Share of voters who trust/do not trust what [X] has to say about the government's handling of the coronavirus crisis:

Boris Johnson
    Trust: 38%
    Do not trust: 55%

Dominic Cummings
    Trust: 14%
    Do not trust: 75%

via
    @YouGov"

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1397580519731343362
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Matt Hancock will be in demand as an interviewee.

Whatever the truth of his behaviour and actions it will take balls the size of cannonballs for him to face the media.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Whatever the truth of his behaviour and actions it will take balls the size of cannonballs for him to face the media.

He is doing a covid press conference tomorrow apparently.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354
    ydoethur said:

Car giant Nissan is reportedly in advanced talks to build a huge electric car battery plant in the UK.

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    Well, I expected a negative response.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I watched the whole session and it was fascinating and a good insight into the conflicts between personalities and groupings

I have no idea how this will influence our politics largely because Starmer and Labour are not at the races but also Cummings has little creditability with the public
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Good for him. Will be some focus. If Boris does rate and have faith in him he would or should be there by his side.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Easier to dodge questions then - even though Covid related, he'll say to focus on the need to talk about current issues, or if he wants just make a flat denial and move on, and hope that any proof contradiction would be some way down the line.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

That reminds me of Brian Conley's Septic Peg!

"I predict that the winner of this weeks National Lottery will be either a man or a woman, celebrating a birthday sometime this year"
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    Yeah, well watt you gonna do about it?
  • Options

"There is no right answer." Discuss.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050

In Sunderland apparently.

Get that and a Tesla factory, would be very good result.

Also remember British Volt up in Blyth too.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

And due to answer an urgent question in the HOC
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    Oh come now, be positive about the accumulated energy for the future economy.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    Yeah, well watt you gonna do about it?
    Get back to discussing current affairs?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

I missed this the other month...

Britishvolt said it had bought the 235-acre (95 hectare) Blyth Power Station site and would have "spades in the soil" by the summer.

And potentially one on site of Coventry airport.

Does seem like EV production is really stepping up.

I drive past there a lot so i'll keep everyone informed. :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    It really would be terminal for the British car industry.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Easier to dodge questions then - even though Covid related, he'll say to focus on the need to talk about current issues, or if he wants just make a flat denial and move on, and hope that any proof contradiction would be some way down the line.
    The urgent question response will be interesting (if he does it)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I didn’t listen to the testimony but unless there was a specific smoking gun I suspect there is value in laying Hancock

- sacking the health secretary even at the tail end of a pandemic would be stupid
    - It would lead people to ask “why” and take the patina off the success story they have told

Far more likely he gets moved in a post summer reshuffle. Either sideways or a promotion.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

Share of voters who trust/do not trust what [X] has to say about the government's handling of the coronavirus crisis:

Boris Johnson

Dominic Cummings

via
    @YouGov"

So many people ignoring him apparently.

But in all seriousness it's about what you'd expect - it's like the Salmond rating, old opponents still don't trust him even if he is attacking a shared enemy, and new opponents who used to be allies will hate him with the fire of a thousand suns.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    OK, I am officially regretting this. I enjoy an ample pun but this is volting into stupidity now.
  • Options
    Taz said:

In Sunderland apparently.

Get that and a Tesla factory, would be very good result.

Also remember British Volt up in Blyth too.
    It's actually in Cambois, in the Wansbeck constituency. #justsayin
  • Options

Breaking news: News journalists & presenters around the world are shitting bricks as the Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch Covid-19 variant has been identified in Wales.

We call it LlanfairPG.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    I enjoy an ample pun
    Kept that quiet, you should have said something, you'd get more set ups.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    kle4 said:

Tesla share price went totally bonkers last year, it’s not possibly sustainable now that every other manufacturer is playing the same game.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Obviously I wasn't there and can't know for sure, but my hunch is that Cummings' accusations against Matt Hancock for 'lying' (a very strong word, and one which shouldn't be thrown around lightly) are unfair. My guess is that what Hancock said on various occasions and which turned out to be wrong, such as regarding PPE availability and testing before discharge of patients to care homes, were actually instances of him not probing properly to find out what was actually going on, rather than him deliberately lying.
  • Options

Breaking news: News journalists & presenters around the world are shitting bricks as the Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch Covid-19 variant has been identified in Wales.

Drakeford will be able to pronounce it

There, I have said a nice thing about him
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    No-one cares about what Cummings has to say.

Next.
  • Options

He’s more trustworthy than Dominic Cummings.

But then, so are most people.
  • Options

The Drake can pronounce anything, in any language, human or alien.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    OK, I am officially regretting this. I enjoy an ample pun but this is volting into stupidity now.
    Well, it all comes ohm to roost sooner or later, farad I can see.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    So basically nothing was revealed today what we didn't already know.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will they charge us?
    That's a shocking pun.
    I think the position will be static.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

Boris Johnson

Dominic Cummings

via
    @YouGov"

So many people ignoring him apparently.

But in all seriousness it's about what you'd expect - it's like the Salmond rating, old opponents still don't trust him even if he is attacking a shared enemy, and new opponents who used to be allies will hate him with the fire of a thousand suns.
    I believe that polling predates today’s jollities. Would be interesting if they had caused any changes.
This discussion has been closed.