Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A fascinating insight into the psyche of Britons – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    I certainly wouldn't want to get into a fight with a Whipsnade zookeeper:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57207961
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited May 2021
    This had better be a wind-up or we should PNG the whole lot.....

https://twitter.com/USAinUK/status/1395683157584797699?s=20

Some good replies in the thread...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,521

Let's get real. Humankind is being spanked by something as small as a virus. What chance have we got against cats and geese?

The cats wouldn't want to fight us.
    Cats have already got us exactly where they want us, and they know.

Not as much as grass has, of course...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Boris calling for a new treaty with a side trip to Troy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kydQqVycrzU

Screw that, disagree with Boris here. 👎

National accountability works not international buckpassing.

Didn't we just see that with vaccine procurement. International procurement EU style was a disaster, national procurement UK and USA style worked.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Cookie said:

Thanks Nick - but anyway, on geese, they're everywhere! Do you never take a walk around an urban lake? Regular easy activity with small children is feeding the ducks (i.e. geese, usually). Did you never go to the lovely Attenborough nature reserve when you were its MP? You must have had more geese as constituents than any MP in Nottinghamshire!

Ah, you've outed me as an urbanite. I know the nature reserve well, but I'd no idea that ducks were geese!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited May 2021

Is he trying to bang Helen?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    ydoethur said:

He's been there and done that.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10556364/who-is-helen-macintyre-and-when-did-she-have-boris-johnsons-love-child/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited May 2021

Guernsey border regime (potentially) from July 2021:

imagehttps://imgur.com/a/7niej7l
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Interesting paper from Germany for those with concerns over reliance on PCR tests and the issue of cycles.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.06.21256289v1.full

"We found that the RT-PCR test positive rate heavily depends on the national testing strategy. The positive rate, furthermore depends on age, with lower rates among young children and the elderly. The majority of positive tests in our sample showed Ct values of 25 or higher, indicating a low viral load."

"Although Ct values have been shown to be inversely associated with viral load and infectivity, there is no international standardization across laboratories, making the interpretation of RT-PCR tests as a tool for mass screening confusing/difficult."
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    A Friday night thread for a Friday night. Sweeet.
  • Options
    The North will not lockdown on its own again!!!

Jennifer Williams
    @JenWilliamsMEN
    ·
    1h
    Nobody should underestimate the momentum behind stopping what happened last year. The showdown in October did not come out of nowhere and it helped drive an increased majority for Burnham earlier this month. People *do not want a repeat*.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He's been there and done that.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10556364/who-is-helen-macintyre-and-when-did-she-have-boris-johnsons-love-child/
    Well, I suppose he’ll always have Paris.
    "She graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 2996 with an MA in art history" and time travel.....
  • Options

Interesting paper from Germany for those with concerns over reliance on PCR tests and the issue of cycles.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.06.21256289v1.full

"We found that the RT-PCR test positive rate heavily depends on the national testing strategy. The positive rate, furthermore depends on age, with lower rates among young children and the elderly. The majority of positive tests in our sample showed Ct values of 25 or higher, indicating a low viral load."

"Although Ct values have been shown to be inversely associated with viral load and infectivity, there is no international standardization across laboratories, making the interpretation of RT-PCR tests as a tool for mass screening confusing/difficult."

Go on, say it, you know you want to.

"It's a fucking Cheats Charter is what it is....."
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Jennifer Williams
    @JenWilliamsMEN
    ·
    1h
    Nobody should underestimate the momentum behind stopping what happened last year. The showdown in October did not come out of nowhere and it helped drive an increased majority for Burnham earlier this month. People *do not want a repeat*.

Absolutely!

Nobody should lock down again. If people have refused the vaccine, then that's a conscious choice. We can't shield people from their decisions.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

“It’s going to cause outrage,” says @SteveBakerHW

EXCLUSIVE: U.K. Set to Tell Homeowners to Ditch Gas Boilers, in Green Plan

The heat & buildings strategy is another political minefield for Boris Johnson on the road to net zero

By @AlexJFMorales and me https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-21/u-k-homeowners-could-be-forced-to-ditch-gas-boilers-in-new-plan

Ditch gas boilers in favour of what?
    Seems to say heat pumps, or at least a minimum % of the things. But there must be more to it than that.
    Heat pumps are currently very very expensive and will not heat your house in the way a gas boiler does. i.e. on a cold day your house will be cold.

The technology has to change for them to be a viable alternative.
    This goes back to my comment yesterday about electric cars. The technology simply isn't there to meet the Government targets without a massive change in the way we live. Changing the law and hoping the technology will catch up is a dangerous game to play.
    I missed your comment yesterday, but am intrigued. What's the missing technology?
    Fast charging and battery life.

Current battery charge rates are between 30 and 80 miles per hour. A petrol car will go about 400 miles on a tank and it takes about 2 minutes at most top fill up. The equivalent - if you can get a battery that will take you 400 miles and currently you can't - is around 5 hours charge time. Charging at home is not possible for a large part of the population as they lack garages or drives. So for me to drive to Aberdeen, for example, goes from being a 6 hour journey to an 11 or 12 hour journey. If I can find a place to charge my vehicle and want to sit for 5 hours waiting for it to charge somewhere at the top of the M6.

Until they get a massive reduction in charge time and a huge increase on battery life, the idea that we will be able to continue as we are but just with electric cars rather than petrol versions is for the fairies.

Formula E - supposedly a great advert for electric vehicles - showed this perfectly a few weeks ago in Valencia when half the cars failed to finish because they ran out of power.
    But - I’ve recharged my etron at a rate of over 300 miles per hour.
    At a 170kW charger, which it could accept, and it does 2.4 miles per kWh. It drops down to about 120kW after a while, but that’s still around 290.

I drove to my Mum’s (Oxford to Colchester) and plugged in to recharge, went to the loo and grabbed a drink and was back in 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    My grandmother used to tell of an insistent knock at the door she got one day, knock-knock-knock, at shoulder height. So she opened it and there stood at full extension, an African spitting cobra.(I do not recall whether she specified the species). She says it was the quickest she ever shut a door.

Makes you almost grateful for Jehovah's Witnesses.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited May 2021

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The heat & buildings strategy is another political minefield for Boris Johnson on the road to net zero

By @AlexJFMorales and me https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-21/u-k-homeowners-could-be-forced-to-ditch-gas-boilers-in-new-plan

Seems to say heat pumps, or at least a minimum % of the things. But there must be more to it than that.
    Heat pumps are currently very very expensive and will not heat your house in the way a gas boiler does. i.e. on a cold day your house will be cold.

This goes back to my comment yesterday about electric cars. The technology simply isn't there to meet the Government targets without a massive change in the way we live. Changing the law and hoping the technology will catch up is a dangerous game to play.
    I missed your comment yesterday, but am intrigued. What's the missing technology?

Current battery charge rates are between 30 and 80 miles per hour. A petrol car will go about 400 miles on a tank and it takes about 2 minutes at most top fill up. The equivalent - if you can get a battery that will take you 400 miles and currently you can't - is around 5 hours charge time. Charging at home is not possible for a large part of the population as they lack garages or drives. So for me to drive to Aberdeen, for example, goes from being a 6 hour journey to an 11 or 12 hour journey. If I can find a place to charge my vehicle and want to sit for 5 hours waiting for it to charge somewhere at the top of the M6.

Until they get a massive reduction in charge time and a huge increase on battery life, the idea that we will be able to continue as we are but just with electric cars rather than petrol versions is for the fairies.

Formula E - supposedly a great advert for electric vehicles - showed this perfectly a few weeks ago in Valencia when half the cars failed to finish because they ran out of power.
    Point of order. They didn't run out of power in Valencia.

They run to an amount of energy allowed. The amount of energy allowed to be used is reduced under safety car periods (when in reality running under safety car would actually normally allow them to go further as they would use less energy during such periods than normal racing).

The sport looked stupid because of an arbitrary rule designed to keep them trying to maintain high efficiency (and which was badly implemented in Valencia), but the batteries weren't nearly empty in that instance.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    A pink-footed goose sounds like it should be an easy push-over.

Until you realise they migrate here in skeins of tens of thousands.....

"Leave it Darren, 'e's not worf it. Stick with the festive turkey...."
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

Cookie said:

Thanks Nick - but anyway, on geese, they're everywhere! Do you never take a walk around an urban lake? Regular easy activity with small children is feeding the ducks (i.e. geese, usually). Did you never go to the lovely Attenborough nature reserve when you were its MP? You must have had more geese as constituents than any MP in Nottinghamshire!

Ah, you've outed me as an urbanite. I know the nature reserve well, but I'd no idea that ducks were geese!
    No, they aren't - but when you have easily confused toddlers it's easier to use the word 'duck' as a generic for all aquatic birds!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Torygraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/21/ufo-uap-aliens-report-sightings-us-government-encounters-barack/

“ The Pentagon thinks UFOs may exist after all... and the evidence is growing
    A new report on unidentified flying objects set to be released next month shows the US government is taking aliens increasingly seriously”
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

A House GOP candidate in Wyoming says he impregnated a 14 y/o when he was 18.

“She was a little younger than me, so it's like the Romeo and Juliet story.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1395730553249349635

She committed suicide when she was 20.

This story is tragic, and nothing like Romeo & Juliet.

https://twitter.com/KateBennett_DC/status/1395798144244494337

Well Romeo and Julie was also pretty tragic...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    moonshine said:

Torygraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/21/ufo-uap-aliens-report-sightings-us-government-encounters-barack/

“ The Pentagon thinks UFOs may exist after all... and the evidence is growing
    A new report on unidentified flying objects set to be released next month shows the US government is taking aliens increasingly seriously”

Four and a half years after Trump was elected.

Quick thinking in the Pentagon
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    DougSeal said:

A person alleging to be the wife of a senior solicitor at K&L Gates has emailed his entire office demanding that the firm punish a trainee who seduced him.

'Mrs X', as they signed the email, sent the poison pen missive on Monday to every lawyer - except the trainee - in the K&L Gates office where her alleged husband works.

RollOnFriday is not naming the office, or the junior lawyer, in order to protect her identity.

According to Mrs X's email, which was leaked to RollOnFriday, she discovered the trainee and her husband were conducting an affair several months ago.

Mrs X said she found "items" belonging to the trainee in her home, and that the affair had put a "great strain on our marriage".

Mrs X's alleged husband is senior to the trainee, but Mrs X appeared to place the blame for their alleged tryst on the young woman, accusing her of "trying to seduce him at work and after work".

"Despite my husband intend[ing] to leave her, she does not agree and insists [on] contacting my husband. If this does not stop, we will apply for a restraining order against her", she informed dozens of the pair's colleagues.

Mrs X named the trainee in her email, and included a large picture of the other woman just in case her workmates needed help placing her. But Mrs X did not disclose her own alleged spouse's identity in the email, "in order to protect the reputation of my husband and my family".

As well as leading Mrs X’s alleged husband astray, the trainee was accused by Mrs X of borrowing "some 150k" from him which she spent on "beauty procedures, i.e. botox and many fillers".

"On the weekends her private life is also very messy", continued the vengeful Mrs X, who alleged that the trainee was a "self-proclaimed model" who conducted a secret second career providing "private and intimate photo-shooting" so she could supplement her salary.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-punish-trainee-who-seduced-my-husband-demands-furious-wife-kl-gates-lawyer

I know a few people at K&L Gates. I might ask them to pass round my business card. This smells of a prank gone too far.
    For what it's worth, the "Gates" iin K&L Gates is (or was, he's retired now IIRC) the guy yours truly calls "Daddy Gates" that is the father of Bill the (Bawdy) Billionaire, also Bill Gates.
  • Options

Jennifer Williams
    @JenWilliamsMEN
    ·
    1h

Absolutely!

Nobody should lock down again. If people have refused the vaccine, then that's a conscious choice. We can't shield people from their decisions.
    Agreed. Although it becomes an issue if the non-vaxed are large enough group to end up swamping NHS with virus cases and freezing out all other treatments. Seems unlikely to me that that will happen in UK given the massive % of people who are getting the vaccine.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    edited May 2021

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

At a 170kW charger, which it could accept, and it does 2.4 miles per kWh. It drops down to about 120kW after a while, but that’s still around 290.

I drove to my Mum’s (Oxford to Colchester) and plugged in to recharge, went to the loo and grabbed a drink and was back in 20 minutes.
    What do you think of the e-tron?
    I have a test drive booked for next week.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    I have, actually, already fought, and defeated, several of these animals
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Jennifer Williams
    @JenWilliamsMEN
    ·
    1h

Which means no lockdowns anywhere.

Because outside of a few inner urban areas covid has almost disappeared.

And there's no way places with no covid and where a majority has been double vaxxed is going to accept more restrictions.

So what does that mean ?

It means that the inner urban areas will have to reach herd immunity the hard way.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You kicked a cat and shot a dog or something?
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s not a very respectful way to refer to your wives (or ladies of equal distinction).
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    Leon said:

What was your technique with the elephant? I've heard tickling them is effective.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

With only the use of your trusty flint knapped dildo?

Better not let Disney+ or Warner Bros see this thread, they will be expanding with the MCU / DCEU, with Leon the dildo waving super hero.....the man, the myth, the legend, fights off all sorts of creates with his special weapon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

With what degree of certainty? (Reminder: you used to do A LOT of drugs.....)
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Leon said:

I think I could basically take all of them. Only Old Jonny Croc has me really unnerved.

Lions are pussy-ass Remainers
  • Options
    Leon said:

JBriskin3 said:

Leon said:

I think I could basically take all of them. Only Old Jonny Croc has me really unnerved.

I cross the street to avoid medium sized dogs. I shouldn't be on this thread really given my pussy-ass nature - but it's not like there's anything better to do.
  • Options
    An actual scientist who comes out and says

Yes, these are aliens, and they are probably reaching us from a different dimension, or via a wormhole

https://twitter.com/_Desmoden/status/1395618901979897857
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

To change the mood a little, a glance at some European polling.

Germany votes on 26th September and currently the Union and the Greens are statistically tied at 25%. Kantar has the Union leading 26-24 while Forschunggruppe has the Greens ahead 25-24.

SPD are on 14%, FDP ad AfD on 11% and Linke on 8% so all comfortably set for representation in the next Bundestag.

In Spain, the PP victory in Madrid has resonated in national polls - a Sigma Dos poll has PP on 31%, PSOE on 26% and VOX on 16% and United Podemos on 10%. However, an NC report poll has PP on 27%, PSOE on 26% and VOX on 17% so a PP lead but not convincing as yet.

In Denmark, Venstre are recovering from their disastrous 2020 but the governing Social Democrats still dominate on 29% with the Conservatives on 16% and Venstre on 12%. The Government centre-left "bloc" of parties still polls at 51% which put them well ahead of the centre-right Opposition.

Italy is getting more interesting - an Index poll has Lega down at 21% with the Social Democrats on 20% and FdL on 19% and M5S on 16%. With the Draghi Government having such a broad base of support, FdL is prospering as the only significant Opposition currently although M5S seems split on whether to support the broad-based technocratic Government.

As we also know, it's a time of political turmoil in Bulgaria with a second GE set for July. The GERB and ITN parties, who finished first and second in the April election, have both lost ground since their respective attempts to form Governments failed and GERB leader Borisov resigned on May 12th leading to the appointment of Stefan Yanev, an ally of President Rumen Radev, who had a huge falling out with Borisov (hope you're following at the back?).

Anyway, new elections will take place in July but it looks as though the political impasse will continue.

Cyprus votes on May 30th and the ruling centre-right Government looks in trouble while in Ireland a new poll has Sinn Fein on 30%, well ahead of FG on 25% and FF on 15%.
  • Options
    Balrog said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Lovely car, but the infotainment/IT system lets it down.
    Not very intuitive, and glitchy, which is a pity, because the car itself is :chefs kiss:
    Surprisingly, the pick of the electric cars at the moment, to my mind, is the far cheaper Kia e-niro.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Leon said:

JBriskin3 said:

Leon said:

You barely got the better of a Galician fish stew the other day, Martin.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Charging time of ~35min on a Tesla X for 20% -> 80% of capacity is available in the real world, on the latest chargers.

For over night trickle charging, lampposts are being converted in a number of urban areas already.

Most higher capacity chargers are being installed in carparks.
    A handful of chargers work when a handful of cars need charging.

But are we going to convert car parks so that almost about half the spaces have chargers with them?

A lot of the planning for this seems to be done by people who can charge at home, who tend to think that "topping up" needs to be done on long journeys. But if you don't have a driveway then every single time you charge needs to be in public, not just topping up.
    That is what will happen - Tesla (for example) as steadily adding their gear to more and more bays as service stations across Europe.

A chap round the corner from me lives in a flat with no car parking, has a Tesla 75. So, he only ever Supercharges it. He doesn't find it too much of a problem - most uses it during the week for short distances. Starts the journey with a top up if he is going away on a weekend, at the first services with a Supercharger.
    Electric charging infrastructure is going to keep improving. Right now, unless you have a front drive, it probably doesn't make sense (except in a few cases), but it will keep getting better and better.

I spend far less time charging my electric vehicle than I ever did refuelling my petrol powered car, because it takes no more than 10 seconds to plug it in when I get home. It is therefore always full.

And I'll use Electrify America (or equivalent) charging stations once or twice a month year.

Edit to add: In the last year my trip to Yountsville and back was the only time I needed to use public charging infrastructure, and it was *great*. I plugged the car in, my wife and I stretched our legs and ate a pizza and when we got out the car was full.
    Well yeah, its great if you've got a drive. 😕

How many houses in the UK don't? And I swear we're still building most new homes without them either. 2 off road spaces with charging should be the presumed default for all new builds.
    I agree we're not there yet.

But you would be amazed at the charging infrastructure in Southern California. In the car parks in Santa Monica, maybe 15% of the stalls have charging ports, and that's only growing.
    I would have thought that Philip, of all people, would show more faith in the market. 😊
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

45% of Brits and 61% of Yanks have never met a goose.

They are vicious buggers that don’t fight fair
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    Surely the answer to the final question has to be the baboon. They are vicious bastards with a bite like an Alsatian and 10 times the cunning. Poor Badger doesn't stand a chance.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes, these are aliens, and they are probably reaching us from a different dimension, or via a wormhole

What kind of scientist is she?
    I mean, a physicist of some description would probably be preferable; an immunologist (for example), despite how much credence I give them on covid, would probably be unreliable on wormholes.
    It does appear that the woman in the video is one Fran Blanche, who seems very nice, but a quick google to see what specialisation she has shows her as “a self-taught electronics engineer”.
    Of course, arguments must stand up on themselves, but an appeal to credentialism would typically require something stronger.
    However, it was a very rapid googling, so that result could well be incorrect.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

45% of Brits and 61% of Yanks have never met a goose.

They are vicious buggers that don’t fight fair
    They are.

And geese can be pretty damn tricky too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Leon said:

That's no way to speak of our American friends.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

I mean, a physicist of some description would probably be preferable; an immunologist (for example), despite how much credence I give them on covid, would probably be unreliable on wormholes.
    It does appear that the woman in the video is one Fran Blanche, who seems very nice, but a quick google to see what specialisation she has shows her as “a self-taught electronics engineer”.
    Of course, arguments must stand up on themselves, but an appeal to credentialism would typically require something stronger.
    She's an engineer, I happily admit she's not Einstein

I'm just curious at the number of people now coming out saying Yes I've seen one, or Yes they are aliens

Shaquille O'Neal. That golfer in America. So many people have personal accounts that they've kept quiet out of fear of ridicule
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Balrog said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Lovely car, but the infotainment/IT system lets it down.
    Not very intuitive, and glitchy, which is a pity, because the car itself is :chefs kiss:
    Surprisingly, the pick of the electric cars at the moment, to my mind, is the far cheaper Kia e-niro.
    Yes, I have had an e-niro for a year, and it is a great car. Very well made, fast, and does about 270 miles on a charge. That is as much as I want to do in a day, slightly less in winter, but even then can do a return trip to Wimbledon to visit my brother and still have 50 miles left when I get home.

I only charge it when it is around 20% or less, unless planning a trip the next day. Regular topping up doesn't seem good for the battery and reduces range, and running it down rebuilds the range. The indicated range remaining is very close to reality too.

I am not very impressed by the public charging infrastructure in Britain, which is a mess of apps and often at a much slower than advertised rate. When going to the Isle of Wight, I just plug into a 13 Amp household plug overnight, which charges at a rate of about 10 miles per hour of plug in time.

I don't think the infrastructure in Britain is ready to give up the ICE completely yet, and will replace my old Fiat 500 probably with a hybrid. It will almost certainly be my last conventionally fueled car.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

She's an engineer, I happily admit she's not Einstein

I'm just curious at the number of people now coming out saying Yes I've seen one, or Yes they are aliens

Shaquille O'Neal. That golfer in America. So many people have personal accounts that they've kept quiet out of fear of ridicule
    Could have sworn Shaq was a basketball player.

I thought I might have had a fun night on PB tonight...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Small dog not an option?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Small dog not an option?

So many of them about nowadays that I'm sure we've all got the jist that a quick kick in jaw would do the trick. Obviously this would be a problematic tactic for wheelchair users.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Elephant probably wins the royal rumble here. Size matters when it comes to fighting and a large bull is about 7 tonnes.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    On road parking is already a fraught thing where you get neighbour disputes often because how dare they park in front my house.....add electric cars and lamppost chargers....well forgive me if I am wrong but its more than 2 car lengths between lampposts...therefore 3 or 4 cars parks all wanting to charge....I am investing in popcorn shares
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Elephant probably wins the royal rumble here. Size matters when it comes to fighting and a large bull is about 7 tonnes.

I believe Cape Buffalos are the meanest bastards out there. Bad tempered, aggressive, mobile, lethal, and they bear a grudge

A guide I met on a safari once, told me he was nearly-fatally charged by a bull he'd annoyed a few years earlier.

Hippos can be pretty evil, too, but they are stupid and lumbering. Buffalo are quite smart

"Also known as Black Death, the Cape Buffalo can be extremely dangerous, and is said to have killed more big game hunters than any other animal in Africa. "

https://www.huntercourse.com/blog/2011/11/the-worlds-most-dangerous-game-to-hunt/#:~:text=Also known as Black Death,any other animal in Africa.&text=Cape Buffalo is most aggressive,the herd is under attack.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Being a scientist doesnt innoculate you against stupidity just saying and
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

Normal for Gilead. GOP members would like to see more of that sort of thing. May the Lord open...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

I believe Cape Buffalos are the meanest bastards out there. Bad tempered, aggressive, mobile, lethal, and they bear a grudge

A guide I met on a safari once, told me he was nearly-fatally charged by a bull he'd annoyed a few years earlier.

Hippos can be pretty evil, too, but they are stupid and lumbering. Buffalo are quite smart

"Also known as Black Death, the Cape Buffalo can be extremely dangerous, and is said to have killed more big game hunters than any other animal in Africa. "

https://www.huntercourse.com/blog/2011/11/the-worlds-most-dangerous-game-to-hunt/#:~:text=Also known as Black Death,any other animal in Africa.&text=Cape Buffalo is most aggressive,the herd is under attack.
    The honey badger is a bastard. Kimodo dragons too
  • Options

Additional comment, without seeking to defend him. But helpful context.

* they got married when she was 15, the earliest possible date under Florida law
    * The suicide occurred after they were divorced and when she was in a relationship with someone else
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Geese brought down an airliner in the Hudson.

Meanwhile the US Navy can't even deal with giant tictacs.

Let's face it. We are a bit rubbish.

• Options
    Charles said:

* they got married when she was 15, the earliest possible date under Florida law
    * The suicide occurred after they were divorced and when she was in a relationship with someone else
    Without seeking to attack him anyone who thinks an average 15 year old is a fit person to decide on marriage is a moron and is totally culpable regardless of legality
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Surely the answer to the final question has to be the baboon. They are vicious bastards with a bite like an Alsatian and 10 times the cunning. Poor Badger doesn't stand a chance.

Have you met a honey badger?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, Komodo Dragons are literally venomous. And they stalk you for days
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

Without seeking to attack him anyone who thinks an average 15 year old is a fit person to decide on marriage is a moron and is totally culpable regardless of legality
    I think it’s too young personally, but my point was it was legal. It was a relationship that resulted in marriage. It wasn’t just a seedy paedo
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

On road parking is already a fraught thing where you get neighbour disputes often because how dare they park in front my house.....add electric cars and lamppost chargers....well forgive me if I am wrong but its more than 2 car lengths between lampposts...therefore 3 or 4 cars parks all wanting to charge....I am investing in popcorn shares

Yes, but you only need to charge every couple of weeks when doing average mileage, so may not be the problem that you think.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes, Komodo Dragons are literally venomous. And they stalk you for days
    They slice through your Achilles tendon. Rendering you incapable.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

I have! South Africa, the Kruger

In the wild I have also seen: lion, leopard, tiger, elephant, croc, hippo, buffalo, cerval, caracal, wildcat, alligator, brown bear, armadillo, ant eater, porcupine, rhino, hippo, cheetah, hyena, killer whales, leopard seals, right wales, sperm whales, beluga whales, multiple dolphin types, kangaroos, drop kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, platypi, dingos, ostrich, emus, piranha, cassowaries, and the Honourable Rufous Bettong (who is actually an Aussie mammal, not a gay black Tory MP)

Top 5 still to do: wolves, polar bears, Kodiak bears, African hunting dog, pangolin,
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Charging time of ~35min on a Tesla X for 20% -> 80% of capacity is available in the real world, on the latest chargers.

For over night trickle charging, lampposts are being converted in a number of urban areas already.

But are we going to convert car parks so that almost about half the spaces have chargers with them?

A lot of the planning for this seems to be done by people who can charge at home, who tend to think that "topping up" needs to be done on long journeys. But if you don't have a driveway then every single time you charge needs to be in public, not just topping up.
    That is what will happen - Tesla (for example) as steadily adding their gear to more and more bays as service stations across Europe.

A chap round the corner from me lives in a flat with no car parking, has a Tesla 75. So, he only ever Supercharges it. He doesn't find it too much of a problem - most uses it during the week for short distances. Starts the journey with a top up if he is going away on a weekend, at the first services with a Supercharger.
    Electric charging infrastructure is going to keep improving. Right now, unless you have a front drive, it probably doesn't make sense (except in a few cases), but it will keep getting better and better.

I spend far less time charging my electric vehicle than I ever did refuelling my petrol powered car, because it takes no more than 10 seconds to plug it in when I get home. It is therefore always full.

And I'll use Electrify America (or equivalent) charging stations once or twice a month year.

Edit to add: In the last year my trip to Yountsville and back was the only time I needed to use public charging infrastructure, and it was *great*. I plugged the car in, my wife and I stretched our legs and ate a pizza and when we got out the car was full.

How many houses in the UK don't? And I swear we're still building most new homes without them either. 2 off road spaces with charging should be the presumed default for all new builds.

But you would be amazed at the charging infrastructure in Southern California. In the car parks in Santa Monica, maybe 15% of the stalls have charging ports, and that's only growing.
    I would have thought that Philip, of all people, would show more faith in the market. 😊
    The problem is that the government is insisting in rigging the market, by banning vehicles for which there isn't really yet a direct replacement for some types of user. I'm fairly keenly aware of this, as one of those who regularly has days which involve non-stop drives beyond the range of almost all EVs, where stopping for a 40 minute charge or two en-route is a non-starter.
    A normal free market would see both vehicle types sold as long as there was demand.

Out of interest, what's the law on sales of lighter commercials with diesel engines come 2030? My employer has a small fleet of transit pickups and vans. The pickups are pretty marginal for weight capacity as things are; you can only get about 1.5 ton payload on a 3.5 ton gross pickup, which doesn't look a lot when you start putting stuff on (it's easy to put double that on before they look full).
    These vehicles are pretty heavy on fuel. You can get 30mpg if you drive an empty one really gently. If you get a load that's particularly un-airodynamic it can be a lot worse. I once burnt an entire tank of fuel on way between Derby and Barrow in Furness - I literally put my foot flat to the floor joining the M60 and took it off again for the first time at the A590 junction off the M6. I think the truck just got to 70mph twice on a couple of downhill stretches of the M6.

I can't see battery technology allowing for a useful weight / range combination any time soon. You can't go heavier, because then you need an HGV license to drive it. There will also be a certain amount of a law of diminishing returns to fitting more batteries - the heavier you make the vehicle, the more energy it takes to push it around.

We're based in Derbyshire, but work nationally - if we're sending three lads out to Glasgow or Swansea, having them stopped at the services for an hour to recharge will cost us a fortune in overtime, as well as meaning paying for more nights in hotels because "commutable" sites become too far away.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

In the wild I have also seen: lion, leopard, tiger, elephant, croc, hippo, buffalo, cerval, caracal, wildcat, alligator, brown bear, armadillo, ant eater, porcupine, rhino, hippo, cheetah, hyena, killer whales, leopard seals, right wales, sperm whales, beluga whales, multiple dolphin types, kangaroos, drop kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, platypi, dingos, ostrich, emus, piranha, cassowaries, and the Honourable Rufous Bettong (who is actually an Aussie mammal, not a gay black Tory MP)

Top 5 still to do: wolves, polar bears, Kodiak bears, African hunting dog, pangolin,
    I think the rarest animal that I have seen wild is the Black Rhino, though have also seen the spiny echidna. Some rare birds too, including Pells Fishing Owl.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

I think it’s too young personally, but my point was it was legal. It was a relationship that resulted in marriage. It wasn’t just a seedy paedo
    So just a non-seedy one. The marriage was completely unrelated to her getting pregnant?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

I think the rarest animal that I have seen wild is the Black Rhino, though have also seen the spiny echidna. Some rare birds too, including Pells Fishing Owl.
    I have stroked the grumpy nose of the last male Northern White rhino on earth, Sudan: he died in 2018

There are just two females left
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

So just a non-seedy one. The marriage was completely unrelated to her getting pregnant?
    My entire knowledge of the situation is based on 5 mins google

But it appears as if the child was born sometime before they were married

My point was if it had been reported as “At 19 I was married and a father” vs “When I was 18 I impregnated a 14 year old” the interpretation is very different even though the facts are the same
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015
    theProle said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The problem is that the government is insisting in rigging the market, by banning vehicles for which there isn't really yet a direct replacement for some types of user. I'm fairly keenly aware of this, as one of those who regularly has days which involve non-stop drives beyond the range of almost all EVs, where stopping for a 40 minute charge or two en-route is a non-starter.
    A normal free market would see both vehicle types sold as long as there was demand.

Out of interest, what's the law on sales of lighter commercials with diesel engines come 2030? My employer has a small fleet of transit pickups and vans. The pickups are pretty marginal for weight capacity as things are; you can only get about 1.5 ton payload on a 3.5 ton gross pickup, which doesn't look a lot when you start putting stuff on (it's easy to put double that on before they look full).
    These vehicles are pretty heavy on fuel. You can get 30mpg if you drive an empty one really gently. If you get a load that's particularly un-airodynamic it can be a lot worse. I once burnt an entire tank of fuel on way between Derby and Barrow in Furness - I literally put my foot flat to the floor joining the M60 and took it off again for the first time at the A590 junction off the M6. I think the truck just got to 70mph twice on a couple of downhill stretches of the M6.

I can't see battery technology allowing for a useful weight / range combination any time soon. You can't go heavier, because then you need an HGV license to drive it. There will also be a certain amount of a law of diminishing returns to fitting more batteries - the heavier you make the vehicle, the more energy it takes to push it around.

We're based in Derbyshire, but work nationally - if we're sending three lads out to Glasgow or Swansea, having them stopped at the services for an hour to recharge will cost us a fortune in overtime, as well as meaning paying for more nights in hotels because "commutable" sites become too far away.
    You can go heavier. Until recently you could drive a 7.5 ton on a car licence (I still can, but not professionally). Now we've left the EU it would be easy to increase the weight limit on a 3.5ton if we wanted to.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

I have stroked the grumpy nose of the last male Northern White rhino on earth, Sudan: he died in 2018

Yes, the truth is that while one to one and unarmed man/woman is in a tight spot, as a species we have cut a wave of devastation through the animal kingdom, and will continue to do so via habitat destruction.

Our grandchildren may well only see these animals in zoos.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

I can't help thinking we're going about this wrong. Can we not get some form of charging technology which doesn't need a wire running to the car? Perhaps a charging unit we could charge inside the house, then place in the car to charge the car overnight? I have no idea if this is practical, but it seems preferable to covering urban areas with driveways.
    Trickle charging over wireless is certainly an option, but doing fast charging wirelessly is really tough. Ultimately you're trying to pass a lot of energy - in the form of electromagnetic waves - through a quantity of air. There's no way I can think of to avoid (a) big efficiency losses, and (b) heating up the air - potentially quite a lot.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

While I am in agreement that the government shouldn't be banning vehicles, I would point out that these light transportation vehicles are becoming electrified in the US today. Look at the new Ford pick-up truck for example.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Things we have learned today

Sean calls his penis the grumpy nose of the last male Northern White rhino
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Yes, the truth is that while one to one and unarmed man/woman is in a tight spot, as a species we have cut a wave of devastation through the animal kingdom, and will continue to do so via habitat destruction.

Our grandchildren may well only see these animals in zoos.
    It was one of the saddest moments of my life. The last male of his species (or sub-species, experts differ)

He had these big half-blind eyes, and he stared at me calmly - he was old and docile and forlorn. And I felt abject shame for what we have done to the earth
  • Options
    stodge said:

Italy is getting more interesting - an Index poll has Lega down at 21% with the Social Democrats on 20% and FdL on 19% and M5S on 16%. With the Draghi Government having such a broad base of support, FdL is prospering as the only significant Opposition currently although M5S seems split on whether to support the broad-based technocratic Government.

It's worth remembering that the Italians have got rid of the "bonus" seats system, because that makes it far too easy for parties to form governments. Remember also that a government needs a majority in both the Upper and Lower Houses.

The consequence of this is that it looking increasingly likely that there will be no combination of two parties that get a majority, and that the "winning" coalition will need three or maybe even four members.
  • Options

theProle said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

You can go heavier. Until recently you could drive a 7.5 ton on a car licence (I still can, but not professionally). Now we've left the EU it would be easy to increase the weight limit on a 3.5ton if we wanted to.
    Totally agree in theory, but hell will freeze over before the government let's people drive sensible sized vehicles without loads of rules and regs (and thus lots of costs to be passed on to somebody). The direction of travel is consistently the other way, and has been for years.

The removal of things like trailer entitlements and 7.5T lorries from new driving licences should have been a complete scandal. It's done nothing for road safety, but imposed loads of costs on ordinary people and businesses (particularly small ones).
    In addition many businesses that would once upon a time have run a legit 7.5 ton wagon now just routinely overload 3.5 ton pickups, which was an entirely predictable outcome when the rules were changed back in 1997.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    Pagan2 said:

Charles said:

You are probably right but take it up with the good burghers of Florida, assuming they've not changed the law since.
  • Options
    Re animals. Is it just me who thinks Yougov aren't doing their reputation any favours with these clickbait polls?
  • Options
    theProle said:

theProle said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Totally agree in theory, but hell will freeze over before the government let's people drive sensible sized vehicles without loads of rules and regs (and thus lots of costs to be passed on to somebody). The direction of travel is consistently the other way, and has been for years.

The removal of things like trailer entitlements and 7.5T lorries from new driving licences should have been a complete scandal. It's done nothing for road safety, but imposed loads of costs on ordinary people and businesses (particularly small ones).
    In addition many businesses that would once upon a time have run a legit 7.5 ton wagon now just routinely overload 3.5 ton pickups, which was an entirely predictable outcome when the rules were changed back in 1997.
    Do we need to be slightly cautious since terrorists developed a taste for driving vans and lorries into crowds?
  • Options
    Boris lies about who gives him stuff gate, more like. From your link:-
    According to documents seen by this newspaper, at least some of the items were paid for by the wife of the Tory donor. That would appear to be at odds with Mr Johnson’s claim earlier this year that he has paid for all his food at No 10.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9606217/Butler-smuggled-27-000-organic-takeaways-No-10-paid-wife-Tory-donor.html

• Options

theProle said:

theProle said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Do we need to be slightly cautious since terrorists developed a taste for driving vans and lorries into crowds?
    Not really - it's not like the lack of a suitable license is likely to prevent such types from committing atrocities.
  • Options

Boris lies about who gives him stuff gate, more like. From your link:-
    According to documents seen by this newspaper, at least some of the items were paid for by the wife of the Tory donor. That would appear to be at odds with Mr Johnson’s claim earlier this year that he has paid for all his food at No 10.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9606217/Butler-smuggled-27-000-organic-takeaways-No-10-paid-wife-Tory-donor.html
    To be fair to Boris, we should perhaps quote from the end:-
    Mr Johnson is thought to have received 30 hampers. At full price they are approximately £200 each, a total of £6,000, making £27,000 in all. Last night a Downing Street spokesman said: ‘The costs of food for personal consumption are entirely met by Boris Johnson.’

A Government source said Mr Johnson had paid for the Daylesford hampers.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

It's worth remembering that the Italians have got rid of the "bonus" seats system, because that makes it far too easy for parties to form governments. Remember also that a government needs a majority in both the Upper and Lower Houses.

The consequence of this is that it looking increasingly likely that there will be no combination of two parties that get a majority, and that the "winning" coalition will need three or maybe even four members.
    It's almost like there's no perfect electoral system.
    Yes, though some are LESS imperfect than others.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021
    Two prison guards have admitted falsifying records on the night disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein killed himself in August 2019.

But in a plea deal with federal prosecutors, Tova Noel and Michael Thomas would be spared jail time. The pair fabricated log entries to make it seem like they had conducted required half-hourly checks on Epstein. But the court heard they were actually snoozing or surfing the web instead of making their rounds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57209515
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Two prison guards have admitted falsifying records on the night disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein killed himself in August 2019.

But in a plea deal with federal prosecutors, Tova Noel and Michael Thomas would be spared jail time. The pair fabricated log entries to make it seem like they had conducted required half-hourly checks on Epstein. But the court heard they were actually snoozing or surfing the web instead of making their rounds.

So, he was murdered then?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Sounds like someone needs to step up to the plate and help the horned dears out of their tight spot.

So. Any volunteers?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    RobD said:

So, he was murdered then?
    Or allowed to do the business on himself.
This discussion has been closed.