Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A fascinating insight into the psyche of Britons – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited May 2021 in General
A fascinating insight into the psyche of Britons – politicalbetting.com

Comparing the US results with the British results shows that Americans are more confident across the board that they could beat up an animal. The biggest difference is geese – 61% of Americans think they would win, vs 45% of Britonshttps://t.co/Cfn9prx3hM pic.twitter.com/n7mW8qGZXG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited May 2021
    Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

With TSE having advance warning as well!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

🚨🚨 | BREAKING: SAGE have told the Government that the Indian variant may not infact be more transmissible

Via @Telegraph

— Politics For All (@PoliticsForAlI) May 21, 2021
    Indian variant.... don't they mean variant of unsayable origin of the unspecified virus of unknown origin? Otherwise they might get done as a hate crime in Scotland.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    edited May 2021
    Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

🚨🚨 | BREAKING: SAGE have told the Government that the Indian variant may not infact be more transmissible

Via @Telegraph

Shit! That means it's probably 12x more transmissable.

Or maybe it means it has literally no transmissability at all, and it's impossible to catch.

But given its from SAGE, there's means there at least a 60% chance, it's between these two bounds.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    45% of Brits and 61% of Yanks have never met a goose.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Having vanquished the three hairy, hulking leviathans of evil , namely the EU, the Labour Party and Covid 19, I bet Boris could beat all on the list, but maybe not the last half dozen all at the same time.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

Looks like you just won a fight with his crocs... :wink:
  • Options

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

I can't see TSE wearing Crocs. Maybe Northamptonshire made, crocodile leather shoes.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

Indian variant.... don't they mean variant of unsayable origin of the unspecified virus of unknown origin? Otherwise they might get done as a hate crime in Scotland.

Has no-one got round to prosecuting COVID for being racist and misandrist yet?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

alex_ said:

Cookie said:

It depends, if you mean about people being divorced etc then that's not a lifestyle choice. Nor is people living in big houses after their kids have flown the coop, while only building small houses for the younger generations starting families that's not really a "lifestyle choice".

If you mean about organic etc then I'm very liberal about lifestyle choices. I don't think its the government's job to impose lifestyle choices on people, it should be a free choice: you want to be vegan, or kosher, or organic or whatever else floats your boat then that's your choice. I don't want the law to stop your choices, and I just don't want you or the law to stop me from making my own choices.

You should make your choices, I should make my own, and its not the states job to pick your lifestyle over mine or vice-versa.

So if say Aussie imports operate on a level playing field and meet the same welfare etc requirements of UK laws as they aren't hormone treated, then why should they be subject to tariffs?

Too much of the day job for me to want to go on about it, but briefly: Australia does NOT meet UK welfare requirements. Cattle in feedlots are common in Australia, illegal in Britain. Hens in barren cages are common in Australia, illegal in Britain. The level of antibiotics used to compensate for overcrowding is five times the British level, and overuse of antibiotics risks human health (by making the evolution of antibiotic-resistant bugs more likely).

The case for allowing them tariff-free exports to us anyway is not that they meet our standards - they don't. It's that the food will be slightly cheaper and allowing it may give us profitable exports in other goods. But it's undeniably going to be tough on farmers meeting higher standards because British legislation requires it.

Note that you can already import Australian beef. But there's a tariff that makes it uneconomic. The question is whether to lower it.

And whatever we decide will inevitably form a precedent for the US deal - with much larger impact as well as much larger benefits in non-agrilcutural exports.
    This astounds me. The Australians have got almost infinite land. Why do they feel the need to farm so intensively?
    Isn't almost all of it completely uninhabitable and basically useless for any economic purpose?
    Australia is so big, so unimaginably vast, that even though they have 60% desert or rainforest or whatever, and lots of crappy old soil, that still means they have zillions of hectares of decent land

Take Victoria. It is almost exactly the same size as the UK, but it only has a population of 6m. That means there's a lot of space for farming.

See here. They have 46m hectares of arable land

Argentina has 39m

France 18m

UK 6m

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/AUS/australia/arable-land#:~:text=Land abandoned as a result,a 1.6% increase from 2013.
    If Australian politicians had an ounce of sense they would export their vast surplus solar electricity potential in the form of aluminium, refined using green electrolysis locally mined bauxite. But they don’t have any sense, so instead pitch a full blown war with their own people over long term uneconomic projects like the Carmichael coal mine.
    Aluminium smelting has always been the best way to export energy surpluses. (See also Norway.)

*However*, even with Australia's ample sunshine, it can't produce power as consistently and as cheaply as massive open pit coal mine. There you can have the furnaces running 24 hours a day, which makes it a lot more economical than having stop-start-stop that comes with solar, even in Aus.

If battery power continues cheapen, that may change, but right now it wouldn't be economic.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    "could be interpreted as nooses"....this isn't another case like the NASCAR driver who thought there was a noose put in his garage and it actually the door pull?

BBC News - Amazon shuts US construction site as nooses found
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57206701
  • Options
    edited May 2021

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

I can't see TSE wearing Crocs. Maybe Northamptonshire made, crocodile leather shoes.
    The latter was the type I meant. Apparently there's some hideous shoe brand that's stolen the name.
  • Options
    Tinder said the "Are you sure?" system had "reduced inappropriate language in messages sent" in trials by about 10%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57201044

I thought that is why people were on Tinder in the first place?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

Flying so very high may have it's drawbacks
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited May 2021

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

The most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on were crocodile leather shoes. As I wore them in shop it was like my feet were being massaged by angels.

I didn't buy them because so many people in my life would have hated that I was wearing a dead animal.

But boy they were so comfortable,
  • Options
    Omnium said:

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

Doesn't the vaccine protect against that?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Or maybe it means it has literally no transmissability at all, and it's impossible to catch.

But given its from SAGE, there's means there at least a 60% chance, it's between these two bounds.

Its fine. Peston called it confidently that this was more transmissable and opening up was a mistake.

So this is just verification of the Peston Effect (TM).
    Is there an individual in the media who makes so many wrong calls so consistently and still keeps their job?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Omnium said:

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

Doesn't the vaccine protect against that?
    Sample of one... and that's you.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

The most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on were crocodile leather shoes. As I wore them in shop it was like my feet were being massaged by angels.

I didn't buy them because so many people in my life would have hated that I was wearing a dead animal.

But boy were they so comfortable,
    I suspect they might have been a little too understated.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

Too late. Once you’ve been bitten by a croc, it never releases its grip.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

So you don't wear leather?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

rcs1000 said:

Its fine. Peston called it confidently that this was more transmissable and opening up was a mistake.

Is there an individual in the media who makes so many wrong calls so consistently and still keeps their job?
    There was an Irish chap I used to drink with who was rubbish at betting on the horses. Perfectly rubbish.

So perfectly rubbish that the Scandinavian spread betting guys (who we drank with) actually tried betting on every other horse in races he had bets on. And made money.

Always being wrong can be very valuable.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

And a 30% chance that it is worse than 12x more transmissible, but a 10% chance it cures COVID.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

alex_ said:

Cookie said:

It depends, if you mean about people being divorced etc then that's not a lifestyle choice. Nor is people living in big houses after their kids have flown the coop, while only building small houses for the younger generations starting families that's not really a "lifestyle choice".

If you mean about organic etc then I'm very liberal about lifestyle choices. I don't think its the government's job to impose lifestyle choices on people, it should be a free choice: you want to be vegan, or kosher, or organic or whatever else floats your boat then that's your choice. I don't want the law to stop your choices, and I just don't want you or the law to stop me from making my own choices.

You should make your choices, I should make my own, and its not the states job to pick your lifestyle over mine or vice-versa.

So if say Aussie imports operate on a level playing field and meet the same welfare etc requirements of UK laws as they aren't hormone treated, then why should they be subject to tariffs?

Too much of the day job for me to want to go on about it, but briefly: Australia does NOT meet UK welfare requirements. Cattle in feedlots are common in Australia, illegal in Britain. Hens in barren cages are common in Australia, illegal in Britain. The level of antibiotics used to compensate for overcrowding is five times the British level, and overuse of antibiotics risks human health (by making the evolution of antibiotic-resistant bugs more likely).

The case for allowing them tariff-free exports to us anyway is not that they meet our standards - they don't. It's that the food will be slightly cheaper and allowing it may give us profitable exports in other goods. But it's undeniably going to be tough on farmers meeting higher standards because British legislation requires it.

Note that you can already import Australian beef. But there's a tariff that makes it uneconomic. The question is whether to lower it.

And whatever we decide will inevitably form a precedent for the US deal - with much larger impact as well as much larger benefits in non-agrilcutural exports.
    This astounds me. The Australians have got almost infinite land. Why do they feel the need to farm so intensively?
    Isn't almost all of it completely uninhabitable and basically useless for any economic purpose?
    Australia is so big, so unimaginably vast, that even though they have 60% desert or rainforest or whatever, and lots of crappy old soil, that still means they have zillions of hectares of decent land

Take Victoria. It is almost exactly the same size as the UK, but it only has a population of 6m. That means there's a lot of space for farming.

See here. They have 46m hectares of arable land

Argentina has 39m

France 18m

UK 6m

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/AUS/australia/arable-land#:~:text=Land abandoned as a result,a 1.6% increase from 2013.
    If Australian politicians had an ounce of sense they would export their vast surplus solar electricity potential in the form of aluminium, refined using green electrolysis locally mined bauxite. But they don’t have any sense, so instead pitch a full blown war with their own people over long term uneconomic projects like the Carmichael coal mine.
    Aluminium smelting has always been the best way to export energy surpluses. (See also Norway.)

*However*, even with Australia's ample sunshine, it can't produce power as consistently and as cheaply as massive open pit coal mine. There you can have the furnaces running 24 hours a day, which makes it a lot more economical than having stop-start-stop that comes with solar, even in Aus.

If battery power continues cheapen, that may change, but right now it wouldn't be economic.
    Do you think that hydrogen may take, or partly take, that role?

(No particular view personally)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,330

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

You should see his red shoes first....
  • Options
    That is absolutely superb.

As an aside, the one where I reckon that I might do OK is the snake. So long as I got hold of it first, of course.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

You should see his red shoes first....
    Red cowboy boots?
  • Options

alex_ said:

Have i done it?

I think i have...

First!

I do, but these shoes were very ostentatious.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

rcs1000 said:

Man, have you never watched North Korean State TV?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    edit failure

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

And a 30% chance that it is worse than 12x more transmissible, but a 10% chance it cures COVID.

As many of us said - the media narrative was basically -

"lots of people dying in India"
    "there is a variant that we believe originated in India that we have now found in the UK"
    "Johnson didn't act fast enough!!!"
    "1+1+1=11,956"

Question time last night was like a baying mob about this. Reckon any of them will calm down now it looks no worse than the Kent variant?
  • Options

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

“It’s going to cause outrage,” says @SteveBakerHW

EXCLUSIVE: U.K. Set to Tell Homeowners to Ditch Gas Boilers, in Green Plan

The heat & buildings strategy is another political minefield for Boris Johnson on the road to net zero

By @AlexJFMorales and me https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-21/u-k-homeowners-could-be-forced-to-ditch-gas-boilers-in-new-plan

Ditch gas boilers in favour of what?
    Seems to say heat pumps, or at least a minimum % of the things. But there must be more to it than that.
    Heat pumps are currently very very expensive and will not heat your house in the way a gas boiler does. i.e. on a cold day your house will be cold.

The technology has to change for them to be a viable alternative.
    This goes back to my comment yesterday about electric cars. The technology simply isn't there to meet the Government targets without a massive change in the way we live. Changing the law and hoping the technology will catch up is a dangerous game to play.
    I missed your comment yesterday, but am intrigued. What's the missing technology?
    Fast charging and battery life.

Current battery charge rates are between 30 and 80 miles per hour. A petrol car will go about 400 miles on a tank and it takes about 2 minutes at most top fill up. The equivalent - if you can get a battery that will take you 400 miles and currently you can't - is around 5 hours charge time. Charging at home is not possible for a large part of the population as they lack garages or drives. So for me to drive to Aberdeen, for example, goes from being a 6 hour journey to an 11 or 12 hour journey. If I can find a place to charge my vehicle and want to sit for 5 hours waiting for it to charge somewhere at the top of the M6.

Until they get a massive reduction in charge time and a huge increase on battery life, the idea that we will be able to continue as we are but just with electric cars rather than petrol versions is for the fairies.

Formula E - supposedly a great advert for electric vehicles - showed this perfectly a few weeks ago in Valencia when half the cars failed to finish because they ran out of power.
    OK.

So I drove 470 miles from wine country to Los Angeles last summer in my fancy new electric car. I stopped once along the way for about 45 minutes.

Now, my electric car uses fancy internal 800 volt technology, and I was stopped at one of Electrify America's new 300KW chargers. (And I also literally got home with about 8 miles left in the battery...)

But these charging networks are going in all over the West Coast. So, sure you have to stop for 40 minutes to add 250-300 miles of range, but that's massively quicker than the numbers you are using.
  • Options
    A person alleging to be the wife of a senior solicitor at K&L Gates has emailed his entire office demanding that the firm punish a trainee who seduced him.

'Mrs X', as they signed the email, sent the poison pen missive on Monday to every lawyer - except the trainee - in the K&L Gates office where her alleged husband works.

RollOnFriday is not naming the office, or the junior lawyer, in order to protect her identity.

According to Mrs X's email, which was leaked to RollOnFriday, she discovered the trainee and her husband were conducting an affair several months ago.

Mrs X said she found "items" belonging to the trainee in her home, and that the affair had put a "great strain on our marriage".

Mrs X's alleged husband is senior to the trainee, but Mrs X appeared to place the blame for their alleged tryst on the young woman, accusing her of "trying to seduce him at work and after work".

"Despite my husband intend[ing] to leave her, she does not agree and insists [on] contacting my husband. If this does not stop, we will apply for a restraining order against her", she informed dozens of the pair's colleagues.

Mrs X named the trainee in her email, and included a large picture of the other woman just in case her workmates needed help placing her. But Mrs X did not disclose her own alleged spouse's identity in the email, "in order to protect the reputation of my husband and my family".

As well as leading Mrs X’s alleged husband astray, the trainee was accused by Mrs X of borrowing "some 150k" from him which she spent on "beauty procedures, i.e. botox and many fillers".

"On the weekends her private life is also very messy", continued the vengeful Mrs X, who alleged that the trainee was a "self-proclaimed model" who conducted a secret second career providing "private and intimate photo-shooting" so she could supplement her salary.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-punish-trainee-who-seduced-my-husband-demands-furious-wife-kl-gates-lawyer
  • Options
    edited May 2021

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The heat & buildings strategy is another political minefield for Boris Johnson on the road to net zero

By @AlexJFMorales and me https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-21/u-k-homeowners-could-be-forced-to-ditch-gas-boilers-in-new-plan

Seems to say heat pumps, or at least a minimum % of the things. But there must be more to it than that.
    Heat pumps are currently very very expensive and will not heat your house in the way a gas boiler does. i.e. on a cold day your house will be cold.

This goes back to my comment yesterday about electric cars. The technology simply isn't there to meet the Government targets without a massive change in the way we live. Changing the law and hoping the technology will catch up is a dangerous game to play.
    I missed your comment yesterday, but am intrigued. What's the missing technology?

Current battery charge rates are between 30 and 80 miles per hour. A petrol car will go about 400 miles on a tank and it takes about 2 minutes at most top fill up. The equivalent - if you can get a battery that will take you 400 miles and currently you can't - is around 5 hours charge time. Charging at home is not possible for a large part of the population as they lack garages or drives. So for me to drive to Aberdeen, for example, goes from being a 6 hour journey to an 11 or 12 hour journey. If I can find a place to charge my vehicle and want to sit for 5 hours waiting for it to charge somewhere at the top of the M6.

Until they get a massive reduction in charge time and a huge increase on battery life, the idea that we will be able to continue as we are but just with electric cars rather than petrol versions is for the fairies.

Formula E - supposedly a great advert for electric vehicles - showed this perfectly a few weeks ago in Valencia when half the cars failed to finish because they ran out of power.
    Charging time of ~35min on a Tesla X for 20% -> 80% of capacity is available in the real world, on the latest chargers.

For over night trickle charging, lampposts are being converted in a number of urban areas already.

Most higher capacity chargers are being installed in carparks.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    rcs1000 said:

That is absolutely superb.

As an aside, the one where I reckon that I might do OK is the snake. So long as I got hold of it first, of course.
    50:50 odds of bagging the wrong end in a hurry, mind.
  • Options

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Charging time of ~35min on a Tesla X for 20% -> 80% of capacity is available in the real world, on the latest chargers.

For over night trickle charging, lampposts are being converted in a number of urban areas already.

A handful of chargers work when a handful of cars need charging.

But are we going to convert car parks so that almost about half the spaces have chargers with them?

A lot of the planning for this seems to be done by people who can charge at home, who tend to think that "topping up" needs to be done on long journeys. But if you don't have a driveway then every single time you charge needs to be in public, not just topping up.
  • Options

alex_ said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

As many of us said - the media narrative was basically -

"lots of people dying in India"
    "there is a variant that we believe originated in India that we have now found in the UK"
    "Johnson didn't act fast enough!!!"
    "1+1+1=11,956"

Question time last night was like a baying mob about this. Reckon any of them will calm down now it looks no worse than the Kent variant?

You forgot the 5% chance that it actually revives those killed by an earlier version of COVID.

So a negative CFR.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

OK.

So I drove 470 miles from wine country to Los Angeles last summer in my fancy new electric car. I stopped once along the way for about 45 minutes.

Now, my electric car uses fancy internal 800 volt technology, and I was stopped at one of Electrify America's new 300KW chargers. (And I also literally got home with about 8 miles left in the battery...)

But these charging networks are going in all over the West Coast. So, sure you have to stop for 40 minutes to add 250-300 miles of range, but that's massively quicker than the numbers you are using.
    This new service station in Rugby has charge points that can charge 100 miles in 5 minutes! https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9530245/Rugby-M6-services-largest-rapid-charging-motorway-site-EVs.html
  • Options

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

But are we going to convert car parks so that almost about half the spaces have chargers with them?

A lot of the planning for this seems to be done by people who can charge at home, who tend to think that "topping up" needs to be done on long journeys. But if you don't have a driveway then every single time you charge needs to be in public, not just topping up.
    That is what will happen - Tesla (for example) as steadily adding their gear to more and more bays as service stations across Europe.

A chap round the corner from me lives in a flat with no car parking, has a Tesla 75. So, he only ever Supercharges it. He doesn't find it too much of a problem - most uses it during the week for short distances. Starts the journey with a top up if he is going away on a weekend, at the first services with a Supercharger.
  • Options

A person alleging to be the wife of a senior solicitor at K&L Gates has emailed his entire office demanding that the firm punish a trainee who seduced him.

'Mrs X', as they signed the email, sent the poison pen missive on Monday to every lawyer - except the trainee - in the K&L Gates office where her alleged husband works.

RollOnFriday is not naming the office, or the junior lawyer, in order to protect her identity.

According to Mrs X's email, which was leaked to RollOnFriday, she discovered the trainee and her husband were conducting an affair several months ago.

Mrs X said she found "items" belonging to the trainee in her home, and that the affair had put a "great strain on our marriage".

Mrs X's alleged husband is senior to the trainee, but Mrs X appeared to place the blame for their alleged tryst on the young woman, accusing her of "trying to seduce him at work and after work".

"Despite my husband intend[ing] to leave her, she does not agree and insists [on] contacting my husband. If this does not stop, we will apply for a restraining order against her", she informed dozens of the pair's colleagues.

Mrs X named the trainee in her email, and included a large picture of the other woman just in case her workmates needed help placing her. But Mrs X did not disclose her own alleged spouse's identity in the email, "in order to protect the reputation of my husband and my family".

As well as leading Mrs X’s alleged husband astray, the trainee was accused by Mrs X of borrowing "some 150k" from him which she spent on "beauty procedures, i.e. botox and many fillers".

"On the weekends her private life is also very messy", continued the vengeful Mrs X, who alleged that the trainee was a "self-proclaimed model" who conducted a secret second career providing "private and intimate photo-shooting" so she could supplement her salary.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-punish-trainee-who-seduced-my-husband-demands-furious-wife-kl-gates-lawyer

When I was a new University graduate, I worked on Fleet Street just down the road from Linklaters, and I heard a terrible/great story.

Four months in, Joe (a junior solicitor) was taking Friday off to go with his mates to Amsterdam for the weekend.

This caused some small jealousies with his colleagues, who decided to play a practical joke on him.

On Monday morning when he arrived in the office he found a printed note on all the desks about "mandatory drug testing". With a frightened look he scurried off, while his fellow trainees pissed themselves.

20 minutes later, he returned and started clearing out his desk.

His mates said "What are you doing? It was a joke. Ha ha ha."

"Ahhh... said Joe. Well, I saw the mandatory drug testing notice and thought I'd better resign rather than be fired. So I just told the partner that I'd been thinking about it all weekened, and decided the law wasn't for me."
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Yes, but what are their pronouns?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited May 2021

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

Quite a lot of sneering today, by you and others, at Sturgeon preferring not to refer to it as the 'Indian' variant. I'm tempted to defend her:

Glasgow is still in a form of lockdown because, presumably, of the spread of the Indian variant.
    There's a fair number of people of Indian origin in Glasgow, some of whom may indeed have returned from India/spread the variant.
    A small minority of (racist) Glaswegians, when they hear from the FM that it is 'Indians' spreading the variant, may vent their spleen on said Indians, blaming them for the lockdown, and beating the shit out of them.
    The same risks do not apply to reference to the 'Kent' variant, unless there's a large contingent of identifiably different Thanet folk in Glasgow.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Quite a lot of sneering today, by you and others, at Sturgeon preferring not to refer to it as the 'Indian' variant. I'm tempted to defend her:

Glasgow is still in a form of lockdown because, presumably, of the spread of the Indian variant.
    There's a fair number of people of Indian origin in Glasgow, some of whom may indeed have returned from India/spread the variant.
    A small minority of (racist) Glaswegians, when they hear from the FM that it is 'Indians' spreading the variant, may vent their spleen on said Indians, blaming them for the lockdown, and beating the shit out of them.
    The same risks do not apply to reference to the 'Kent' variant, unless there's a large contingent of identifiably different Thanet folk in Glasgow.
    To be fair you have a point. The rest of us call it the "UK variant" which would be far more in line with her agenda.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

That is what will happen - Tesla (for example) as steadily adding their gear to more and more bays as service stations across Europe.

A chap round the corner from me lives in a flat with no car parking, has a Tesla 75. So, he only ever Supercharges it. He doesn't find it too much of a problem - most uses it during the week for short distances. Starts the journey with a top up if he is going away on a weekend, at the first services with a Supercharger.
    Electric charging infrastructure is going to keep improving. Right now, unless you have a front drive, it probably doesn't make sense (except in a few cases), but it will keep getting better and better.

I spend far less time charging my electric vehicle than I ever did refuelling my petrol powered car, because it takes no more than 10 seconds to plug it in when I get home. It is therefore always full.

And I'll use Electrify America (or equivalent) charging stations once or twice a month year.

Edit to add: In the last year my trip to Yountsville and back was the only time I needed to use public charging infrastructure, and it was *great*. I plugged the car in, my wife and I stretched our legs and ate a pizza and when we got out the car was full.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

When I was a new University graduate, I worked on Fleet Street just down the road from Linklaters, and I heard a terrible/great story.

Four months in, Joe (a junior solicitor) was taking Friday off to go with his mates to Amsterdam for the weekend.

This caused some small jealousies with his colleagues, who decided to play a practical joke on him.

On Monday morning when he arrived in the office he found a printed note on all the desks about "mandatory drug testing". With a frightened look he scurried off, while his fellow trainees pissed themselves.

20 minutes later, he returned and started clearing out his desk.

His mates said "What are you doing? It was a joke. Ha ha ha."

"Ahhh... said Joe. Well, I saw the mandatory drug testing notice and thought I'd better resign rather than be fired. So I just told the partner that I'd been thinking about it all weekened, and decided the law wasn't for me."
    Going back 30 years the newly qualified accountant at the accountants I was working at was off to do 2 years in Australia.

We organised header note paper from the Australian sister company and write a letter telling him that due to staffing issues they needed him in a tiny mining town (can't remember where for t he first 6 months).

We also made sure that the managing partner was fully aware of the scheme which was kept going until 3 days before he went to Austrailia as his complaints got worse and worse.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

OK.

That's great and when it arrives over here it will help hugely. But it hasn't and there is no prospect of it doing so any time soon. According to the Government timetable we have 9 years and apart from some very scattered charging stations we haven't even begun to invest in the infrastructure.

I want electric cars. I think they are a logical step forward and will buy one as soon as it can match the performance of my old knackered ford galaxy diesel. But that means I want a 500 mile range on a 1 stop sub 60 minutes recharge (that doesn't actually match my Galaxy as I can do that distance without a stop but I am happy to have the chance for an enforced cup of coffee). And bear in mind I can charge at home. Many people can't.

The Government (whoever it is at the time) is going to have to abandon the target. It is completely unrealistic.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited May 2021
    Cookie said:

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

Ha, maybe. Or maybe it's the same instinct which forces her into all sorts of contortions to avoid the word 'Oxford when talking about the vaccine.
    Because in Nicola's world, only bad things come from England, and only England can be the cause of bad things.

edited May 2021

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

--------

Respectfully its bullshit....racists are going to racist and it has been wall to wall coverage about this variant from India, so everybody knows about it and where it came from. Whatever you call it, people inclined to racist behaviour will do so regardless if you try word play, which she failed herself in the press conference.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    edited May 2021

Why does a “trainee” presumably female, young and recently out of Uni, need Botox and fillers?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The carpark at Kingswells which has a capacity of 800 cars has 3 charge points.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

OK.

That's great and when it arrives over here it will help hugely. But it hasn't and there is no prospect of it doing so any time soon. According to the Government timetable we have 9 years and apart from some very scattered charging stations we haven't even begun to invest in the infrastructure.

I want electric cars. I think they are a logical step forward and will buy one as soon as it can match the performance of my old knackered ford galaxy diesel. But that means I want a 500 mile range on a 1 stop sub 60 minutes recharge (that doesn't actually match my Galaxy as I can do that distance without a stop but I am happy to have the chance for an enforced cup of coffee). And bear in mind I can charge at home. Many people can't.

The Government (whoever it is at the time) is going to have to abandon the target. It is completely unrealistic.
    I don't deny that it isn't there for everyone today. But this is a continuous process.

When I bought the Tesla Roadster a decade ago, there was literally no charging infrastructure at all. You could charge at home... or... umm... you were out of luck.

There was no DC charging. There were no superchargers. There were no "lampost" chargers". There were no chargers in supermarkets or car parks.

That changes a little bit every year.

Now, I suspect that Lincolnshire is going to be among the last places to have universal charging infrastructure in place, but mark my words, it's coming.
  • Options

Why does a “trainee” presumably female, young and recently out of Uni, need Botox and fillers?
    There was no affair. It's a cruel and evil practical joke, and I hope someone gets into serious trouble.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Electric charging infrastructure is going to keep improving. Right now, unless you have a front drive, it probably doesn't make sense (except in a few cases), but it will keep getting better and better.

I spend far less time charging my electric vehicle than I ever did refuelling my petrol powered car, because it takes no more than 10 seconds to plug it in when I get home. It is therefore always full.

And I'll use Electrify America (or equivalent) charging stations once or twice a month year.

Edit to add: In the last year my trip to Yountsville and back was the only time I needed to use public charging infrastructure, and it was *great*. I plugged the car in, my wife and I stretched our legs and ate a pizza and when we got out the car was full.
    Well yeah, its great if you've got a drive. 😕

How many houses in the UK don't? And I swear we're still building most new homes without them either. 2 off road spaces with charging should be the presumed default for all new builds.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    On thread - come on British people: we can do better than this! I wouldn't fancy my chances against a chimp, and some big dogs can be vicious buggers, but who are all these people who wouldn't fancy themselves against geese? Show some backbone, Britain!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

How many houses in the UK don't? And I swear we're still building most new homes without them either. 2 off road spaces with charging should be the presumed default for all new builds.
    I agree we're not there yet.

But you would be amazed at the charging infrastructure in Southern California. In the car parks in Santa Monica, maybe 15% of the stalls have charging ports, and that's only growing.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Either that, or a politician with a history of terminal wokeness and anti-Englishness seized a golden opportunity to be simultaneously woke and anti-English...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

I can't help thinking we're going about this wrong. Can we not get some form of charging technology which doesn't need a wire running to the car? Perhaps a charging unit we could charge inside the house, then place in the car to charge the car overnight? I have no idea if this is practical, but it seems preferable to covering urban areas with driveways.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

But you would be amazed at the charging infrastructure in Southern California. In the car parks in Santa Monica, maybe 15% of the stalls have charging ports, and that's only growing.
    I hear the other 85% are taken up with homeless people's tents....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There was no affair. It's a cruel and evil practical joke, and I hope someone gets into serious trouble.
    I’ll vote for that. Definitely. Practical jokers run risks, and should recognise the consequences.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

There are some near me. ‘Social’ housing, I think.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    ydoethur said:

Actually I'm surprised that 55% have (if living). Where do you come across them unless you know a farmer?

FPT Cookie - I think Aussie farmers use intensive farming for cattle despite the land area because they can. It's cheaper to herd in a small area, and if you're not bothered by welfare considerations and it's legal, why wouldn't you? In the same way, unenriched cages for hens were common in Britain until they were illegal, just as inhumane sow farrowing crates are common in Britain today while illegal in some other countries.

There are always some farmers who treat animals humanely because they want to, and/or because they see a market for high-welfare meat. But while unpleasant practives are (a) legal and (b) cheaper, you'll always find plenty of takers. British farming is on the whole, with exceptions, more humane than most countries - but mainly because voters care and persuade politicians to make it so. The current government is mostly doing well on that front in the opinion of most of us lobbyists, with the mooted trade deal being an exception.

FPT MattW: I don't know the background about the EU import of hormone-treated Aussie beef, apologies. Part of some complex trade deal?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Foss said:

Some possibly good news!

Via @Telegraph

Ha, maybe. Or maybe it's the same instinct which forces her into all sorts of contortions to avoid the word 'Oxford when talking about the vaccine.
    Because in Nicola's world, only bad things come from England, and only England can be the cause of bad things.

Yes, exactly. So Nicola doesn't want to name a plague variant after it. There is only one country which can be the cause of Scotland's ills, England. So having a Kent variant is great. But an Oxford vaccine presents her with a problem.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    Geese are easy to master. The key to the technique is to grab them by the neck and hold them at arm's length. They flap their wings and hiss but there's nothing they can do.

I've done it a fair few times and it works.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

I know a few people at K&L Gates. I might ask them to pass round my business card. This smells of a prank gone too far.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Actually I'm surprised that 55% have (if living). Where do you come across them unless you know a farmer?

FPT Cookie - I think Aussie farmers use intensive farming for cattle despite the land area because they can. It's cheaper to herd in a small area, and if you're not bothered by welfare considerations and it's legal, why wouldn't you? In the same way, unenriched cages for hens were common in Britain until they were illegal, just as inhumane sow farrowing crates are common in Britain today while illegal in some other countries.

There are always some farmers who treat animals humanely because they want to, and/or because they see a market for high-welfare meat. But while unpleasant practives are (a) legal and (b) cheaper, you'll always find plenty of takers. British farming is on the whole, with exceptions, more humane than most countries - but mainly because voters care and persuade politicians to make it so. The current government is mostly doing well on that front in the opinion of most of us lobbyists, with the mooted trade deal being an exception.

FPT MattW: I don't know the background about the EU import of hormone-treated Aussie beef, apologies. Part of some complex trade deal?
    Thanks Nick - but anyway, on geese, they're everywhere! Do you never take a walk around an urban lake? Regular easy activity with small children is feeding the ducks (i.e. geese, usually). Did you never go to the lovely Attenborough nature reserve when you were its MP? You must have had more geese as constituents than any MP in Nottinghamshire!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,384
    edited May 2021
    Nice header.

Geese are easy. If you are strong enough.

Dog's, though...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,357

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

OK.

Except if the last year has reminded us of anything, it's that, once something is technically possible, society can make it happen very rapidly if it was wants to, and is prepared to pay for it

It's not true that "there's no such word as can't". Sorry, JRM's nanny. But there are a lot more "don't want to"s than "can't"s.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

Live or for Christmas?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    This 2% who have been decapitated.
    If you believe in endless rebirth since beginningless time, then yes you have.
    Many, many times.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Let's get real. Humankind is being spanked by something as small as a virus. What chance have we got against cats and geese?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Various thoughts re covid:

1) I see Heathrow was able to separate people by the risk level of their arrival but had chosen not to do so.

2) I notice Portugal's new infections are increasing again - this will not have been affected by this week's tourist flights.

3) The hospitalisation numbers are showing a steadily increasing proportion from London - the effect of London's higher number of anti-vaxxers perhaps ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Retrofitting parking spaces in the UK may be tougher than SoCal. Parking spaces there are pretty massive aren't they? I swear in Alberta one parking space takes the space of 4 spaces in the UK.

Everything's minimalised here. Many parking garages etc here won't have any space to squeeze in charging ports for parked cars. And if people can't charge at home, and spaces with infrastructure are limited while out, then you're really going to struggle.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Which bit of agreeing to trial of an unapproved vaccine comes with positive and negatives do people not understand?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/21/novavax-volunteers-in-uk-threaten-to-quit-over-approval-delays
  • Options
    When I was seven at Chester Zoo, a gibbon grabbed my hand through the bars and threw me in the air landing on my face. I came round in the zoo sick bay. So I wouldn't even attempt that one.
    Autocorrect wants me to say ribbon, which is even more pathetic.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Tesla 250kw chargers give a charging rate over 500mph, so 20minutes (ie pee and coffee break) per 200 miles?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow I've never seen new build 'social' housing with off-road parking around here.
  • Options
    For those without the ability to home charge, then hydrogen fuel cell cars offer an alternative. Fill up on a forecourt in a few minutes, just like now. Ginsters pasty optional.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

When I was seven at Chester Zoo, a gibbon grabbed my hand through the bars and threw me in the air landing on my face. I came round in the zoo sick bay. So I wouldn't even attempt that one.

That reads like the gibbon landed on your face.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Retrofitting parking spaces in the UK may be tougher than SoCal. Parking spaces there are pretty massive aren't they? I swear in Alberta one parking space takes the space of 4 spaces in the UK.

Everything's minimalised here. Many parking garages etc here won't have any space to squeeze in charging ports for parked cars. And if people can't charge at home, and spaces with infrastructure are limited while out, then you're really going to struggle.
    Won't the free market sort that?
    It seems to with everything else.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2021
    They don't seem to have included bulls.
    My farmer uncle once saw that his bull, kept in a small pen and always radiating fierce aggression, was losing the ring in his nose and so reached unwisely between the wooden bars to pinch it back together. With a swipe of its head the bull smashed his forearm against the side, breaking bones.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Won't the free market sort that?
    It seems to with everything else.
    If we allow it to.

If the state gets in the way, by demanding and refusing planning consent etc, then it can't.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572

If Sturgeon is going to start referring to all Covid variants (except the English ones) using a date-based naming convention, can we start calling the SNP the "September 2014 Party"?

https://twitter.com/MechEngineerB/status/1395827309576400901?s=20

• Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow I've never seen new build 'social' housing with off-road parking around here.
    The next street to mine. 22 new build housing association with 2 parking spaces each. We are pretty rural, mind. Increased the population of the village by more than a third.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

If Sturgeon is going to start referring to all Covid variants (except the English ones) using a date-based naming convention, can we start calling the SNP the "September 2014 Party"?

https://twitter.com/MechEngineerB/status/1395827309576400901?s=20

The "June 1314 Party", shurely?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

That reads like the gibbon landed on your face.
    Yes it does. It may have done for all I knew. Apparently it wanted to have another go while I was unconscious.
    Heavy past-life karma.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

OK.

It's pretty close to that already if not better. You need a 90% charge at home, drive to 10% is about 250 miles. Then 80% is about 60kwh, about 40 minutes on a 128kw charger or less with a 250kw charger. Then recharge overnight at end. All based on actual driving with a model 3.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,453
    I think many people will do what I'm about to do. I have a diesel Disco sport which is a few years old. I have no driveway and there are only a scattering of charging points on nearby roads. I'm not quite ready to replace it with a Tesla or iPace for the reasons people have given, so I'm buying a second hand Renault Zoe (189 mile range) for local driving and keeping the Disco sport for long journeys.
  • Options
    On topic I think some of those are definitely in the wrong order.

If I was forced to, I would much rather get into a fight with a crocodile than a kangaroo for instance. Wrestle a crocodile and you might have a chance, but a kangaroo? They're brutal powerful beasts.

I once saw the aftermath of a 'fight' between a kangaroo and a large SUV. The SUV was totalled, the kangaroo unscratched and jumped away like nothing had happening.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

The next street to mine. 22 new build housing association with 2 parking spaces each. We are pretty rural, mind. Increased the population of the village by more than a third.
    That's great, that's what all new housing should be like. 👍
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

A lot of the lamp posts in Battersea seem to have had charging points retrofitted, so on street charging is eminently possible. I don't know what the cost is for using them.
  • Options
    Balrog said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

OK.

It's pretty close to that already if not better. You need a 90% charge at home, drive to 10% is about 250 miles. Then 80% is about 60kwh, about 40 minutes on a 128kw charger or less with a 250kw charger. Then recharge overnight at end. All based on actual driving with a model 3.
    Without an at home charger how do you charge overnight? 🤔
  • Options

On topic I think some of those are definitely in the wrong order.

If I was forced to, I would much rather get into a fight with a crocodile than a kangaroo for instance. Wrestle a crocodile and you might have a chance, but a kangaroo? They're brutal powerful beasts.

I once saw the aftermath of a 'fight' between a kangaroo and a large SUV. The SUV was totalled, the kangaroo unscratched and jumped away like nothing had happening.

I suspect that part of the perception of various creatures is that some would be more predisposed to killing you than others if encountered in real life.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Boris calling for a new treaty with a side trip to Troy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kydQqVycrzU
  • Options
    A House GOP candidate in Wyoming says he impregnated a 14 y/o when he was 18.

“She was a little younger than me, so it's like the Romeo and Juliet story.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1395730553249349635

She committed suicide when she was 20.

This story is tragic, and nothing like Romeo & Juliet.

https://twitter.com/KateBennett_DC/status/1395798144244494337
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    edited May 2021
    These surveys would be more fun if those in the most confident categories got to try it on live TV. It pulled in massive audiences throughout the Roman empire and I think C5 should give it a go.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

OK.

I don't deny that it isn't there for everyone today. But this is a continuous process.

When I bought the Tesla Roadster a decade ago, there was literally no charging infrastructure at all. You could charge at home... or... umm... you were out of luck.

There was no DC charging. There were no superchargers. There were no "lampost" chargers". There were no chargers in supermarkets or car parks.

That changes a little bit every year.

Now, I suspect that Lincolnshire is going to be among the last places to have universal charging infrastructure in place, but mark my words, it's coming.
    Re Lincolnshire. I was in deepest darkest Norfolk a few weeks ago. There were more Tesla's there than in Surrey. Seemed to be every 3rd car. And a lot of high power chargers. Not sure why, but not far from Lincolnshire.
This discussion has been closed.