Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Both the coming by-elections present problems for LAB – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    dr_spyn said:

Greens appear to be happy to work with Tories in Lancaster and London to some degree. Is that how a progressive coalition works.

I see Paul Pogba needs to brush up on how to fly a Palestinian flag, after he was dancing around Old Trafford holding it Green side up.

Isn't London just normal discussions on committee seat allocations which Labour got huffy about and essentially left to the majority to sort out?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Labour really ought to be competitive in Batley and Spen. Tory target 31 for the next GE, and we've had a conservative government for the past 11 years !

LAB don't worry! Angela is on top of things - she can step in if Keir decides to throw in the towel!

:lol::lol:
    I mean not just competitive, they should be crushing it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

dixiedean said:

Anyone watching the Eurovision Semi final?

Yes - Ireland looked OK :)
    Did you enjoy a semi, or was it even more stimulating?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

David Paton
    @cricketwyvern
    Replying to
    @cricketwyvern
    Daily admissions (as opposed to the 7-day average) drop to 59, lowest since 1st Sept.
    Deaths averaging the lowest since 7th Sept and both still falling.

But forget about that, let's continue the full-on scare campaign to persuade the Govt to delay lifting of restrictions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Angela Rayner revisited:

Significant effort here from Scot Gov to head off the John Swinney sacked as Education Secretary headlines.... his new "Covid recovery" and Deputy FM role contains a big list of responsibilities (though he already had some of them)

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1394695583043137540?s=20

I guess they can now publish that report into Scottish Education they suppressed delayed until after the election....
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

FPT for RJPS

A very good summary. Yes the first explanation is the most "comforting".... but I just don't buy it.

Have we really developed brilliant hypersonic technology on the quiet, over decades, and did we master it as long ago as 2004? Or the 1990s? Or the 1970s?

How did they keep it a secret? From everyone? Why has the US not flexed this mighty power, to keep China in check, instead allowing China to rise to equality, and assume supremacy?

And, also, why employ this truly bizarre media technique of faking lots of UAP videos and persuading pilots to lie on camera and speculating about ET in a manner that makes everyone look mad

I don't buy it. But then it's very hard to buy all the other scenarios, too

Mass hallucination? They are known during plagues. Popular delusions and fearful portents in the skie

Two obvious possibilities:

1) they are Chinese tech and the US have no idea how they work despite years of espionage
    2) they are US tech and turn out to be not very useful to combat being geo-economically outcompeted by the Chinese.
    Don't believe 1. China is not that advanced - and the first sightings of hypersonic UAPs go back to 2004 (or waaay beyond). China was still eating raw turnips in 2004

2 is even more surreal. Why then all this talk about aliens? How did they hide this tech for decades? What the actual F?

There is no credible coherent answer. Which of course means maybe one of your incredible answers is right
    Obama etc aren't talking about aliens, they're talking about UAPs. And the reason they renamed UFO to UAP is because fools were linking UFOs with aliens, so its a term deliberately chosen to NOT mean aliens.

There's a logical explanation for everything, it just isn't always obvious sometimes what it is at first glance.
    Errr no. It’s been renamed UAP because UFO had become such a loaded term that no one was willing to report them up the chain or seriously discuss them if they were. Not because the non-human explanation has been ruled out.

From what we know about the timing of the emergence of life on earth and the preponderance of exoplanets in the galaxy, it’s likely that et life is abundant. There’s a question mark about how easily single cell life becomes complex. But the galaxy is very large indeed and much older than our solar system. So all we are really talking about is whether other advanced species have made it here. They could achieve it at quite slow speeds if their civilisation remained stable for a relatively brief period of time.

It is not foolish to consider this hypothesis on the evidence we are now told exists. Indeed, it is an entirely logical one. I get youre scared though, it’s a scary conversation.
    I’m not scared, I’m sceptical. Big difference. Now if I see three laser pointers in a triangle somewhere, and a wired visual disturbance, then I’m scared...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Obama etc aren't talking about aliens, they're talking about UAPs. And the reason they renamed UFO to UAP is because fools were linking UFOs with aliens, so its a term deliberately chosen to NOT mean aliens.

There's a logical explanation for everything, it just isn't always obvious sometimes what it is at first glance.

UAP is a term chosen to be broader, and remove some of the stigma associated with UFO, but it doesn't meant NOT alien, an alien origin still remains a possibility.
  • Options
    Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    3m
    Wouldn't it be better if we stopped calling them "woke" and used a more accurate term that more people could understand?

What about "illiberal censorious fascist snowflakes"? Any more suggestions welcome.

Cancel her now! :wink:
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525
    edited May 2021

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m
    With Obama weighing in today & Rubio’s statements this weekend, you’ve got to hope the issue of UAPs has finally transcended questions of political partisanship. Whatever they are, they seem to represent an inflection point for society as a whole.

https://twitter.com/GadiNBC/status/1394740524343463936?s=20

There’s been an assumption even from the likes of Lue Elizondo that the June report to Congress won’t reveal too much new but will be the start of a longer process that might reveal a lot in time. Could be Elizondo is wrong and that the Biden government has decided to rip the plaster off. Hard to think of a more obvious proxy to float something out there for Biden than Obama.
    Let’s say “something”, whatever the “something” is, has been kept secret for many years and you’re right that there’s moves afoot to reveal it. The way I see it there’s two reasons for that:

1) It has been concluded it’s the right thing to do; or

2) It has been assessed that it’s about to come out anyway in an uncontrolled fashion (e.g. increased use of better drones or increased volumes of private owned space assets).

1 seems unlikely so I think you’re left with 2, especially if it actually is extraterrestrial objects. That would mean no mad rush to reveal EVERYTHING in one go, but a sense it does need to come out in a controlled fashion in the next year or two.
    I'd go with 2 (of the two options)

See all the new drone footage, from around the world, apparently showing exactly the same thing: small weird aircraft, like silvery bullets the size of a smartcar, capable of incredible speeds - 9,000mph or even 14,000mph

Drone cameras - a new technology - may be capturing so much footage of UAPs that is no longer credibly deniable or debunkable

That would move the USG to control the narrative and get the info out first, so they look like they are "in command" of the situation

Also plausible

This is the footage from Utah. No one has successfully debunked it

https://twitter.com/brianjhanley/status/1083171588802052096?s=20

An analysis of what it shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFN7KofHpcY
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,394

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Another leaked US Navy UAP video

lackSportsTV
    @BlacksportsTV
    ·
    3h
    Leaked Navy video appears to show UFO off California https://news.yahoo.com/leaked-navy-video-appears-show-211241985.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr via
    @YahooNews

It's really quite crap - filmed at midnight, what is more interesting is the timing. It feels *orchestrated*. To what end, I know not

This website must be perused by at least some senior Uk policy makers? The cross channel disparity in this conversation is just so bloody weird.
    I reckon it's normalcy bias and a kind of snobbery. A British class thing. People who believe in UFOs are idiot proles - hahaha, laugh at the credulous plebs. But now we have Obama saying they're maybe "real".

Must be a lot of cognitive dissonance
    Any real aliens would visit The British first.

Obvs.
    Why do aliens visiting the UK always chose to visit Norfolk?
    ...because they have the same number of digits?....
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    TimT said:

When I was a kid, UFOology fascinated me. Now, it's meh! Until it actually impacts my daily life or we have some semblance of irrefutable proof, I'll carry on not convinced they exist but with an open mind, paying very very little attention to it. To the extent PB posters permit.

Its a bit like the god question. Of course god or aliens might exist or they might not. You could spend your whole life investigating and contemplating either. You wouldn't get much further than they might exist or they might not exist.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

dixiedean said:

I "liked" this because I found it funny. I've probably just broken a law though...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    dr_spyn said:

Greens appear to be happy to work with Tories in Lancaster and London to some degree. Is that how a progressive coalition works.

Yes, if you make the lazy assumption Progressive equals anti-Conservative which it doesn't.

A better way to think about it is change and in London, the long serving Labour GLA administration (which has no power and is useless) is being turfed out for something new.

It takes two to be progressive, however, and sometimes mutual antipathy or suspicion gets in the way of change.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited May 2021
    Talking of UAPs and UFOs, has Resident Alien aired in the UK? Season 1 is done in the US. A nice diversion, well done. Nothing deep.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m
    With Obama weighing in today & Rubio’s statements this weekend, you’ve got to hope the issue of UAPs has finally transcended questions of political partisanship. Whatever they are, they seem to represent an inflection point for society as a whole.

There’s been an assumption even from the likes of Lue Elizondo that the June report to Congress won’t reveal too much new but will be the start of a longer process that might reveal a lot in time. Could be Elizondo is wrong and that the Biden government has decided to rip the plaster off. Hard to think of a more obvious proxy to float something out there for Biden than Obama.
    Let’s say “something”, whatever the “something” is, has been kept secret for many years and you’re right that there’s moves afoot to reveal it. The way I see it there’s two reasons for that:

2) It has been assessed that it’s about to come out anyway in an uncontrolled fashion (e.g. increased use of better drones or increased volumes of private owned space assets).

1 seems unlikely so I think you’re left with 2, especially if it actually is extraterrestrial objects. That would mean no mad rush to reveal EVERYTHING in one go, but a sense it does need to come out in a controlled fashion in the next year or two.

See all the new drone footage, from around the world, apparently showing exactly the same thing: small weird aircraft, like silvery bullets the size of a smartcar, capable of incredible speeds - 9,000mph or even 14,000mph

Drone cameras - a new technology - may be capturing so much footage of UAPs that is no longer credibly deniable or debunkable

That would move the USG to control the narrative and get the info out first, so they look like they in command of the situation

Also plausible

Honestly? I’m not convinced by any analysis that isn’t from a reputable an independent VFX expert who would be able to spot additions to the film. BUT I’m more open that I used to be to the idea that there might be something in all this. And autonomous probes would look like this to us, I guess.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    I'm increasingly convinced that Batley & Spen is so close, and such a lagging location on COVID reduction, that the result will rely heavily on the seismicity of Boris's covi-wobbles over the next month or so. That might just, just favour Labour being slight value at 2/1, but it's barely callable. Currently, with the weakening of SKS, I'd say the Tories have their nose in front, but how much will that be last week's chip paper in a month, and what will the reaction be to the Labour candidate?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,194
    👀”The Government’s bank suspended Matt Hancock’s team from making payments to PPE suppliers at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic over fears they were being taken in by fraudsters” - mind-boggling story from our ⁦@mikeysmith⁩
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/bank-suspended-matt-hancocks-ppe-24135963
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

gealbhan said:

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

It's gone a bit unnoticed, but there is a curious difference between most EU countries and the UK going on right now.

Simply: despite being two to three months behind the UK, as far as vaccinations go, most EU countries are removing restrictions. Denmark, for example, will is going to remove almost all Covid restrictions from Friday. Only nightclubs will remain closed.

My gut is that the UK has been far too cautious in reopening, and has therefore thrown away a good part of the benefits from its successful vaccination programme.

However... given that most of the EU still has relatively high levels of Covid (typically 2-5x the UK on a per person basis), this is a gutsy call.

However (part two), this doesn't tell the whole story. Denmark tests more than 10% of its population each day, and has managed to be pretty successful at shielding the more vulnerable. This means there are remarkably few people in hospital with Covid in the whole country (just 166, of which only 31 are in intensive care).

Anyway: it's a good reason to be cautious about reopening the borders with the EU. But it's also going to be a great counterfactual: could we have reopened the economy earlier without seeing a spike in hospitalizations.

Alternatively, being between waves. Like Mohdi declaring victory because of his brilliance a few months back. And our own jab less lull between wave 1 and 2.

No one knows for sure.

I know something. I’m going out this week. I’ve got an e ticket. My bags packed. Sunglasses, sunscreen, fleece, waterproof. I didn’t exploit lull between 1 and 2 enough, I need to push it a bit more between waves 2 and 3, I know that. Wave 3 lock down could coincide with nice summer weather. 🙁
    We don't. But we'll soon find out.

My guess is that the opening up on the Continent will happen without hospitalizations going through the roof, and it will be clear that we could have moved faster to unlock.
    We could have. We stopped having excess deaths months ago and we are only going back to July levels of restrictions yesterday. Farcically slow and it's pissed away months of first mover advantage we could have had economically.

And still zero covidiots wonder if we are not being cautious enough. Pathetic.
    COVID idiots. For simply pointing out it does it’s business in waves?

Define what success from vaccination is? It’s pretty clear we are going to have to just get on with business at some point, and let the bodies pile up in the streets a bit for a while at least?

However, kicker for you of course, Each time someone says “it’s their own fault for turning down the vaccine when offered” it’s an extra stab of trident at some point isn’t it?
    All of these "scary" models being used to urge caution just seem to continually assume an almost limitless supply of victims to infect and make seriously ill. Which is just totally at odds with a country of enormously high levels of vaccination across vulnerable, and frankly, not very vulnerable groups. Which is just not realistic short of the vaccinations offering no protection and/or suddenly becoming dramatically more dangerous for younger people. There's just a massive wall of vaccinated people standing in the way of any even semi-serious outbreak doing anything other than fizzling out pretty rapidly.

Your criticisms are justified in the context of a world with no vaccines, but that is not this world now.

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

It's gone a bit unnoticed, but there is a curious difference between most EU countries and the UK going on right now.

Simply: despite being two to three months behind the UK, as far as vaccinations go, most EU countries are removing restrictions. Denmark, for example, will is going to remove almost all Covid restrictions from Friday. Only nightclubs will remain closed.

My gut is that the UK has been far too cautious in reopening, and has therefore thrown away a good part of the benefits from its successful vaccination programme.

However... given that most of the EU still has relatively high levels of Covid (typically 2-5x the UK on a per person basis), this is a gutsy call.

However (part two), this doesn't tell the whole story. Denmark tests more than 10% of its population each day, and has managed to be pretty successful at shielding the more vulnerable. This means there are remarkably few people in hospital with Covid in the whole country (just 166, of which only 31 are in intensive care).

Anyway: it's a good reason to be cautious about reopening the borders with the EU. But it's also going to be a great counterfactual: could we have reopened the economy earlier without seeing a spike in hospitalizations.

Alternatively, being between waves. Like Mohdi declaring victory because of his brilliance a few months back. And our own jab less lull between wave 1 and 2.

No one knows for sure.

I know something. I’m going out this week. I’ve got an e ticket. My bags packed. Sunglasses, sunscreen, fleece, waterproof. I didn’t exploit lull between 1 and 2 enough, I need to push it a bit more between waves 2 and 3, I know that. Wave 3 lock down could coincide with nice summer weather. 🙁

My guess is that the opening up on the Continent will happen without hospitalizations going through the roof, and it will be clear that we could have moved faster to unlock.
    We could have. We stopped having excess deaths months ago and we are only going back to July levels of restrictions yesterday. Farcically slow and it's pissed away months of first mover advantage we could have had economically.

Define what success from vaccination is? It’s pretty clear we are going to have to just get on with business at some point, and let the bodies pile up in the streets a bit for a while at least?

However, kicker for you of course, Each time someone says “it’s their own fault for turning down the vaccine when offered” it’s an extra stab of trident at some point isn’t it?
    All of these "scary" models being used to urge caution just seem to continually assume an almost limitless supply of victims to infect and make seriously ill. Which is just totally at odds with a country of enormously high levels of vaccination across vulnerable, and frankly, not very vulnerable groups. Which is just not realistic short of the vaccinations offering no protection and/or suddenly becoming dramatically more dangerous for younger people. There's just a massive wall of vaccinated people standing in the way of any even semi-serious outbreak doing anything other than fizzling out pretty rapidly.

Your criticisms are justified in the context of a world with no vaccines, but that is not this world now.

Apologies Alex, I may have got the science wrong then.

I understood you could have two jabs and still get COVID and spread it.

I also understood you could have COVID quite mildly, but a next occurrence of getting it you could be quite ill - long COVID.

I don’t think I am wrong that these things play in waves, leaving us not 100% sure what is going to happen. 😕

That doesn’t take away from how brilliant the vaccination programme is, and the fight back is going good. 🤙

We don’t really know about how much people will be able spread Covid after they have had two jabs yet. The cdc thinks not much, and has said so this week, and now in the us fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks. It’s possible some will still get ill (no vaccine will be 100%). It’s possible asymptomatic spread from vaccinated People will be significant, but I suspect it won’t be. As to getting a second, worse Covid bout, I don’t think there is much evidence of this. Long Covid is surely a spectrum of things including serious physical damage (eg lung scarring etc) and possibly other things, but I don’t believe it is linked to being a second infection. You are also right about waves, however our vaccination programme clearly interferes with the natural cycle of waves, such as would have happened with Spanish flu.
    Actually, we know there is likely to be de minimis spread from double vaccinated people because there have been numerous studies that show that Pfizer (and I suspect the others will be similar) stop 95% of symptomatic infections and around 90% of asymptomatic ones.

That means there are only 5% of people with asymptomatic Covid, and it's highly likely they will have only very small (if any) viral shedding. It's also likely (but not certain) that as those people who get symptomatic Covid will have milder cases, that they will also spread less than an equivalent unvaccinated person.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Talking of UAPs and UFOs, has Resident Alien aired in the UK? Season 1 is done in the US. A nice diversion, well done. Nothing deep.

Yep. Loved it.
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Another leaked US Navy UAP video

lackSportsTV
    @BlacksportsTV
    ·
    3h
    Leaked Navy video appears to show UFO off California https://news.yahoo.com/leaked-navy-video-appears-show-211241985.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr via
    @YahooNews

It's really quite crap - filmed at midnight, what is more interesting is the timing. It feels *orchestrated*. To what end, I know not

This website must be perused by at least some senior Uk policy makers? The cross channel disparity in this conversation is just so bloody weird.
    I reckon it's normalcy bias and a kind of snobbery. A British class thing. People who believe in UFOs are idiot proles - hahaha, laugh at the credulous plebs. But now we have Obama saying they're maybe "real".

Must be a lot of cognitive dissonance
    Any real aliens would visit The British first.

Obvs.
    Why do aliens visiting the UK always chose to visit Norfolk?
    It's easier for them to shake hands with the locals.
  • Options

TimT said:

Yep. Loved it.
    I particularly loved the cartoons in the opening credits.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    stodge said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes, if you make the lazy assumption Progressive equals anti-Conservative which it doesn't.

A better way to think about it is change and in London, the long serving Labour GLA administration (which has no power and is useless) is being turfed out for something new.

It takes two to be progressive, however, and sometimes mutual antipathy or suspicion gets in the way of change.
    Progressive is a lazy, vague term, turned up quite a few times in the 1890s. Sounds great, but open to many fuzzy interpretations.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

That would move the USG to control the narrative and get the info out first, so they look like they in command of the situation

Also plausible

Honestly? I’m not convinced by any analysis that isn’t from a reputable an independent VFX expert who would be able to spot additions to the film. BUT I’m more open that I used to be to the idea that there might be something in all this. And autonomous probes would look like this to us, I guess.
    The moviemakers in Utah are highly convincing. They have not attempted to profit from their clip. They have not traded on it. They didn't even release it at first, they waited years, because they didn't want to look crazy, and they were paranoid they might upset "the military"

It was only when they showed it to friends and family who all went WHOAH that they felt they *should* release the video to everyone

Of course they could all be part of some massive conspiracy but at some point that thesis ceases to be feasible
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

When Rogan asked Musk about this in Feb, he said he hadn’t heard of any of the cases, didn’t know who David Fravor was and was seemingly unaware of the political process already legislated for by Congress. “Don’t you think I’d know if there were aliens” was from memory what he said.

Just beyond incredible but at the time he got away with it, because most of the public hadn’t tuned in yet. Would be fascinating to see how he’d answer now, given an ex president is willing to talk about it.

I don’t know if we’ll get answers on what the mystery is in our lifetime. But I do think we’ll be getting confirmation that the mystery is a real one very soon, almost certainly during this presidency.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,542
    Scott_xP said:

👀”The Government’s bank suspended Matt Hancock’s team from making payments to PPE suppliers at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic over fears they were being taken in by fraudsters” - mind-boggling story from our ⁦@mikeysmith⁩
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/bank-suspended-matt-hancocks-ppe-24135963

Yeah but Labour's list something something something...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Today’s COMRES

Favourability rating - NET scores:

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,133
    rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

No one knows for sure.

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

No one knows for sure.

I also understood you could have COVID quite mildly, but a next occurrence of getting it you could be quite ill - long COVID.

I don’t think I am wrong that these things play in waves, leaving us not 100% sure what is going to happen. 😕

That doesn’t take away from how brilliant the vaccination programme is, and the fight back is going good. 🤙

We don’t really know about how much people will be able spread Covid after they have had two jabs yet. The cdc thinks not much, and has said so this week, and now in the us fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks. It’s possible some will still get ill (no vaccine will be 100%). It’s possible asymptomatic spread from vaccinated People will be significant, but I suspect it won’t be. As to getting a second, worse Covid bout, I don’t think there is much evidence of this. Long Covid is surely a spectrum of things including serious physical damage (eg lung scarring etc) and possibly other things, but I don’t believe it is linked to being a second infection. You are also right about waves, however our vaccination programme clearly interferes with the natural cycle of waves, such as would have happened with Spanish flu.
    Actually, we know there is likely to be de minimis spread from double vaccinated people because there have been numerous studies that show that Pfizer (and I suspect the others will be similar) stop 95% of symptomatic infections and around 90% of asymptomatic ones.

That means there are only 5% of people with asymptomatic Covid, and it's highly likely they will have only very small (if any) viral shedding. It's also likely (but not certain) that as those people who get symptomatic Covid will have milder cases, that they will also spread less than an equivalent unvaccinated person.
    Don't we then get a feedback loop ?

Lower viral shedding from those infection plus lower vulnerability from people they interact with leads to lower new infections and milder cases among them leading to even lower viral shedding in the next phase.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

No one knows for sure.

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

No one knows for sure.

And the discussions indicate that transmissibility from those who get infected after a double shot will be lower than for the unvaccinated who acquire COVID.

Related to this, early on in the pandemic, there was considerable speculation that initial dose was important in determining morbidity and mortality of the subsequent infection. I have not seen anything new on this recently. Presumably someone somehow has a lot of data on this to analyze
  • Options
    isam said:

Today’s COMRES

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)

Starmer & his policies

Like both 14% (-6)
    Dislike both 33% (+5)
    Like him, dislike policies 16% (=)
    Like policies, dislike him 11% (+2)
    DK 26% (-1)

Johnson & his policies

Like both 32% (+1)
    Dislike both 30% (-1)
    Like him, dislike policies 15% (-2)
    Like policies, dislike him 9% (+1)
    DK 15% (+3)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Today’s COMRES

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)

Starmer & his policies

Like both 14% (-6)
    Dislike both 33% (+5)
    DK 26% (-1)

Johnson & his policies

Like both 32% (+1)
    Dislike both 30% (-1)
    DK 15% (+3)
    Starmer & his party

Like both 13% (-10)
    Dislike both 31% (+5)
    Like him, dislike party 17% (+1)
    Like party, dislike him 14% (=)
    DK 23% (+1)

Johnson & his party

Like both 31% (+3)
    Dislike both 28% (-2)
    Like him, dislike party 15% (-3)
    Like party, dislike him 9% (+1)
    DK 16% (+1)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Today’s COMRES

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)

Starmer & his policies

Like both 14% (-6)
    Dislike both 33% (+5)
    DK 26% (-1)

Johnson & his policies

Like both 32% (+1)
    Dislike both 30% (-1)
    DK 15% (+3)
    Starmer has policies ???
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Today’s COMRES

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)

Starmer & his policies

Like both 14% (-6)
    Dislike both 33% (+5)
    DK 26% (-1)

Johnson & his policies

Like both 32% (+1)
    Dislike both 30% (-1)
    DK 15% (+3)
    Starmer & his party

Like both 13% (-10)
    Dislike both 31% (+5)
    DK 23% (+1)

Johnson & his party

Like both 31% (+3)
    Dislike both 28% (-2)
    DK 16% (+1)
    Best PM by age group

18-34 Boris 40-29
    35-54 Boris 45-24
    55+ Boris 56-20

Charisma Boris 30-9
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

No one knows for sure.

alex_ said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

rcs1000 said:

No one knows for sure.

Don't we then get a feedback loop ?

Lower viral shedding from those infection plus lower vulnerability from people they interact with leads to lower new infections and milder cases among them leading to even lower viral shedding in the next phase.
    Exactly. Only not according to some of the more extreme voices out there...
  • Options

TimT said:

When I was a kid, UFOology fascinated me. Now, it's meh! Until it actually impacts my daily life or we have some semblance of irrefutable proof, I'll carry on not convinced they exist but with an open mind, paying very very little attention to it. To the extent PB posters permit.

Its a bit like the god question. Of course god or aliens might exist or they might not. You could spend your whole life investigating and contemplating either. You wouldn't get much further than they might exist or they might not exist.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Also plausible

The moviemakers in Utah are highly convincing. They have not attempted to profit from their clip. They have not traded on it. They didn't even release it at first, they waited years, because they didn't want to look crazy, and they were paranoid they might upset "the military"

It was only when they showed it to friends and family who all went WHOAH that they felt they *should* release the video to everyone

Of course they could all be part of some massive conspiracy but at some point that thesis ceases to be feasible
    Hadn’t see that detail (apologies if it was in one of the links). That is quite compelling. We’re left with odd video artefacts I guess. I don’t claim to be able to have a view (or validate anyone else’s) on that. Would be interesting to have a large media entity examine the video, including using VFX folk, and cinamatographers with a real feel for film anomalies etc.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Covid - whatever people keep saying about the "indian variant" - which there is no massive reason for thinking is anymore dangerous (if it is dangerous) here than anywhere else, it is astonishing that the level of cautiousness/near panic among some in the UK appears so different than anywhere else (except perhaps a few countries in Asia which are experiencing almost their first outbreak of any size). We get stories out of the US about how they think they've "tamed" the virus and are practically declaring the pandemic over, much of Europe rapidly opening up - and yet compared to the UK all of them, frankly look still in a lot of potential trouble. Germany (on worldometer) had 378 deaths today. The UK has 7. America has 600. The UK has 7.

There just seems to be no comparison between what is happening in the UK, and virtually everywhere else of our regular comparators.

Maybe it's just a case that we're doing SO well, that we are struggling to actually believe it...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Covid - whatever people keep saying about the "indian variant" - which there is no massive reason for thinking is anymore dangerous (if it is dangerous) here than anywhere else, it is astonishing that the level of cautiousness/near panic among some in the UK appears so different than anywhere else (except perhaps a few countries in Asia which are experiencing almost their first outbreak of any size). We get stories out of the US about how they think they've "tamed" the virus and are practically declaring the pandemic over, much of Europe rapidly opening up - and yet compared to the UK all of them, frankly look still in a lot of potential trouble. Germany (on worldometer) had 378 deaths today. The UK has 7. America has 600. The UK has 7.

There just seems to be no comparison between what is happening in the UK, and virtually everywhere else of our regular comparators.

Maybe it's just a case that we're doing SO well, that we are struggling to actually believe it...

“So called” Indian variant
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,304

David Paton
    @cricketwyvern
    Replying to
    @cricketwyvern
    Daily admissions (as opposed to the 7-day average) drop to 59, lowest since 1st Sept.

But forget about that, let's continue the full-on scare campaign to persuade the Govt to delay lifting of restrictions.

Zero covid fanatics must be listened to.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

I don’t think it helps that it’s become so political here. A chunk of the population, and many commentators, want Boris to be seen to fail so much (and assume he’s so wicked) that they assume every Government move must be a lethal cock up.
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Also plausible

Hadn’t see that detail (apologies if it was in one of the links). That is quite compelling. We’re left with odd video artefacts I guess. I don’t claim to be able to have a view (or validate anyone else’s) on that. Would be interesting to have a large media entity examine the video, including using VFX folk, and cinamatographers with a real feel for film anomalies etc.
    Ok. Just watched the Utah one. My take is this could be speeded up footage. The camera moving slowly forward and the object moving at normal speeds, the shown a lot quicker. I‘m told that cameras can take hundreds of frames a second now, easy to then pretend it was at a much faster speed.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

dixiedean said:

Ireland failed to qualify :(
  • Options

dixiedean said:

My lovely horse, straight from craggy island?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Perhaps because some people don't want the UK to do so well ?

Meanwhile from the Guardian:

A report into France’s handling of coronavirus has criticised the government for not providing enough care for older adults living in retirement homes.

The report’s authors concluded that people over age 85 were more heavily affected by Covid-19 in France than they were in the United Kingdom or the United States, AP reports.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,304
    Interesting article. Labour won’t lose Batley and Spen. Electoral pact, not convinced although OGH as a lifelong Lib Dem/Lib clearly has an interest in it. Especially as the danger is irrelevance for,the Lib Dem’s as labour and the greens Hoover up their support.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Today’s COMRES

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)

Starmer & his policies

Like both 14% (-6)
    Dislike both 33% (+5)
    DK 26% (-1)

Johnson & his policies

Like both 32% (+1)
    Dislike both 30% (-1)
    DK 15% (+3)
    Starmer & his party

Like both 13% (-10)
    Dislike both 31% (+5)
    DK 23% (+1)

Johnson & his party

Like both 31% (+3)
    Dislike both 28% (-2)
    DK 16% (+1)
    Best PM by age group

18-34 Boris 40-29
    35-54 Boris 45-24
    55+ Boris 56-20

Charisma Boris 30-9
    Fuck a duck, as the (Boris-loving) youth say...
  • Options

dixiedean said:

My lovely horse, straight from craggy island?
    Doesn't Ireland try as hard as it can to lose every year after they almost bankrupted themselves winning it twice in a row in the late 90s early 2000s?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

dixiedean said:

Failed to rise to the occasion.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    isam said:

alex_ said:

“So called” Indian variant
    I wish I could find the source but apparently there was an Indian doctor/scientist on telly here the other day who said words to the effect of: “I’m not sure why the English are so worried about the ‘Indian’ variant, it’s the English variant that’s scaring us!”
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Normally an opposition relishes a by-election. I remember in the Miliband years when it was noted that the Tories managed their older MPs to make them less likely.

Now they're a reminder of just how unpopular the opposition are. Not just their leader, but the party as a whole, and most of its representatives.

One thing the Corbynites were very proud of was the hundreds of thousands of new Labour members who joined - but what Labour really need is for the Union movement to organise a million new private sector trade unionists.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Also plausible

Yes, I'm not qualified to know whether that analysis of the video is as copper-bottomed as it feels, but it does feel convincing. I agree it would be desirable if some big, reliable agency did a public and transparent investigation. This shit is too important to be ignored, now

What I can say tho, is that there is no persuasive debunking of this video (that I have found). And that is important, because, just as there are people profiteering from UAP videos, so there are people - highly intelligent people - who have built careers from debunking. Mick West is the obvious example, and he's really good at eviscerating some of the vids, and exposing the more likely, prosaic truth

Where is the debunking?

If it's false, prove it, otherwise this seems credible evidence of a UAP flying at unprecedented speed (which is what all the US military and intelligence people are now confirming elsewhere)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    San Marino got Flo Rida in as a ringer for Thursday's semi.
  • Options
    Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    9m
    Wednesday's INDEPENDENT: Millions set to defy PM's warning in foreign trips #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Are the EU entries suffering from a lack of Pfizer ?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

Is this what autonomous probes would look like?

When we explore other worlds mostly we've sent orbiting satellites, as that's the best way to get the most comprehensive view of what there is to see. It's what we do when we want to see what's going on with this planet. We have satellites for measuring gravity, microwaves, IR, lidar, etc.

Why wouldn't aliens do the same? There's enough space junk that they'd very easily be able to stick a few probes in orbit and we'd never see them, and they'd have a much better view than careening about in the lower troposphere.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

When we explore other worlds mostly we've sent orbiting satellites, as that's the best way to get the most comprehensive view of what there is to see. It's what we do when we want to see what's going on with this planet. We have satellites for measuring gravity, microwaves, IR, lidar, etc.

Why wouldn't aliens do the same? There's enough space junk that they'd very easily be able to stick a few probes in orbit and we'd never see them, and they'd have a much better view than careening about in the lower troposphere.
    It’s mostly quite fruitless speculating on the why. We’ll know why if “they” want us to.
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

We haven’t explored a populated planet. I think you’d want to have a poke about in the atmosphere. We’re getting into ludicrous speculation but I’m assuming a probe sent by a rich, curious, culture which will report back hundreds of years after it left home. If we did that we’d start with a survey from orbit but then I reckon we’d have a play.
  • Options
    Still more. On and on it comes. Tucker Carlson on Fox

The US Navy - nuclear submariners - has encountered unidentified craft travelling at "hundreds of knots" underwater

The fastest submarine does about 40 knots

https://twitter.com/PelagiusRobert/status/1394205145597087746?s=20
  • Options
    alex_ said:

It's a reverse Boy Who Cried Wolf and maybe the early success of the vaccine programme persuaded people they could wait for the vaccine, while other countries are reopening now that the most vulnerable are protected.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

David Paton
    @cricketwyvern
    Replying to
    @cricketwyvern

I take it every thing was fine after the first of September last year?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369
    edited May 2021

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Today’s COMRES

Sunak +19% (-1)
    Johnson +6% (+4)
    UK Gov +4% (+5)
    Starmer -18% (-11)

Starmer & his policies

Like both 14% (-6)
    Dislike both 33% (+5)
    DK 26% (-1)

Johnson & his policies

Like both 32% (+1)
    Dislike both 30% (-1)
    DK 15% (+3)
    Starmer & his party

Like both 13% (-10)
    Dislike both 31% (+5)
    DK 23% (+1)

Johnson & his party

Like both 31% (+3)
    Dislike both 28% (-2)
    DK 16% (+1)
    Best PM by age group

18-34 Boris 40-29
    35-54 Boris 45-24
    55+ Boris 56-20

Charisma Boris 30-9
    Fuck a duck, as the (Boris-loving) youth say...
    Its the same with anyone on the Labour Front bench. There isn't anyone to match Boris in charisma terms and it doesn't matter if he tells porkies. People want him to get on with the job and Wallpapergate makes Labour look petty and policy devoid..
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

We haven’t explored a populated planet. I think you’d want to have a poke about in the atmosphere. We’re getting into ludicrous speculation but I’m assuming a probe sent by a rich, curious, culture which will report back hundreds of years after it left home. If we did that we’d start with a survey from orbit but then I reckon we’d have a play.
    A probe might take hundreds or thousands of years to get here but the data return and subsequent control signal round trip would likely be considerably quicker.
  • Options
    Just been digging around the covid data. No one has died of it in my area for two months now.

• Options
    Leon said:

The US Navy - nuclear submariners - has encountered unidentified craft travelling at "hundreds of knots" underwater

Tucker Carlson? Fox??

The channel that tells the audience every day that Trump won a landslide. That channel?
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

That would move the USG to control the narrative and get the info out first, so they look like they are "in command" of the situation

Also plausible

Does that require debunking?

It's a fast moving flying object that he thinks is travelling at 9,000 miles per hour.

But which I'd reckon is actually travelling at about a quarter of that speed.

Why? Because at 9,000 miles per hour it would be compressing a lot of the air it hits. The wave it would generate as it went by (and the air jumped back into place) would result in trees moving an awful lot.

My guess is that it's a grey coloured XQ-58A (which is the US government's fighter drone) travelling at a supersonic speed.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    People are aware that international travel is needed for reasons other than a holiday right ? And this is the entire basis of the amber and red lists ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

It's a fast moving flying object that he thinks is travelling at 9,000 miles per hour.

Why? Because at 9,000 miles per hour it would be compressing a lot of the air it hits. The wave it would generate as it went by (and the air jumped back into place) would result in trees moving an awful lot.

My guess is that it's a grey coloured XQ-58A (which is the US government's fighter drone) travelling at a supersonic speed.
    lol
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

Or a speck of dust on the (incredibly bad quality all of a sudden) camera.

Edit: just seen one of them. It's going 100mph at best. @Dura_Ace goes faster than that on his way to buy milk and fags from Tesco.
  • Options

Leon said:

Tucker Carlson? Fox??

The channel that tells the audience every day that Trump won a landslide. That channel?
    Indeed. Which is relevant.

You now have liberal US media - the NYT, CNN, 60 minutes - and Trumpite US media - Fox, NYPost - eagerly buying into the same narrative: there is something Out There. Plus Obama? Rubio. The CIA

What's more it seems carefully stage managed. The Navy video was leaked, within hours it was confirmed by the Pentagon, a few hours later Fox is up and running with a coherent (if surreal) take

Something is definitely happening, it's just quite hard to work out cui bono and WTAF
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Also plausible

Yes, I'm not qualified to know whether that analysis of the video is as copper-bottomed as it feels, but it does feel convincing. I agree it would be desirable if some big, reliable agency did a public and transparent investigation. This shit is too important to be ignored, now

What I can say tho, is that there is no persuasive debunking of this video (that I have found). And that is important, because, just as there are people profiteering from UAP videos, so there are people - highly intelligent people - who have built careers from debunking. Mick West is the obvious example, and he's really good at eviscerating some of the vids, and exposing the more likely, prosaic truth

Where is the debunking?

If it's false, prove it, otherwise this seems credible evidence of a UAP flying at unprecedented speed (which is what all the US military and intelligence people are now confirming elsewhere)
    The author of the world renowned Leon report on the origins of covid, not qualified to give us a definitive answer on aliens? Pfffff, you don't need qualifications, just feel it and declare your answer to the world, loud and proud.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

lol
    Lol?

If an object passes through air at a high speed, it compresses the air that hits the leading edges.

The faster it's travelling, the more compression there is.

And the more the air spring back once the object has passed.

Something travelling at 9,000 miles an hour (if it's the size they say it is) would be compressing an awful lot of air. So, either

(a) it's not the size they say it is
    (b) it's not going at the speed they say it is
    or
    (c) it's able to avoid compressing the air it travels through

My money is on (a) and/or (b).

Edit to add: watch the footage again. The trees don't seem to even register its presence. Doesn't that strike you as strange?
  • Options
    Foss said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

A probe might take hundreds or thousands of years to get here but the data return and subsequent control signal round trip would likely be considerably quicker.
    That was priced in to my point.....

I don’t think you would do “control signals” though. Again, pointless speculation but assume a range of 50-100 light years to be worth bothering. Using technology we can just about imagine, you could get a probe there in a few hundred years. You then have a 50-100 year lag to hear back. I’m at the limits of what I could imagine being worth it, but then you also have to allow for longer life spans as technology improves, and feckless rich culture doing it on a whim.
  • Options
    Although public-health experts initially worried that Black Americans would be highly vaccine-hesitant, there’s now racial parity among people who want shots. Instead, young conservatives are the great outlier . According to Kaiser Family Foundation polling, 13 percent of Americans say they definitely won’t get a COVID-19 vaccine, but that includes 18 percent of people ages 30 to 49, and a whopping 29 percent of Republicans. Hesitancy is particularly high among people who live in rural areas and white evangelicals—for whom increased church attendance correlates with increased hesitancy, according to a survey from the Public Religion Research Institute.

It’s Not Vaccine Hesitancy. It’s COVID-19 Denialism.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/its-not-vaccine-hesitancy-its-covid-denialism/618724/
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000

Normally an opposition relishes a by-election. I remember in the Miliband years when it was noted that the Tories managed their older MPs to make them less likely.

Now they're a reminder of just how unpopular the opposition are. Not just their leader, but the party as a whole, and most of its representatives.

One thing the Corbynites were very proud of was the hundreds of thousands of new Labour members who joined - but what Labour really need is for the Union movement to organise a million new private sector trade unionists.

The Tories still manage their MPs better generally:

The oldest MPs are:

1940 - Sheerman (L), Cash (C)
    1943 - Gale (C), Beckett (L)
    1944 - Bottomley (C), Hodge (L)
    1946 - Beresford (C)
    1947 - Spellar (L), Rimmer (L)
    1947 - Chope (C), Sharma (L)
    1948 - D Davis (C), Latham (C), Henderson (C), Dromey (L)
    1949 - Corbyn (L or Ind), Howarth (L), Knight (C), Evennett (C), Stewart (C), Fellows (SNP)

11 Con and 9 Lab (inc Corbyn) but Con have far more MPs
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rpjs said:

Leon said:

FPT for RJPS

A very good summary. Yes the first explanation is the most "comforting".... but I just don't buy it.

Have we really developed brilliant hypersonic technology on the quiet, over decades, and did we master it as long ago as 2004? Or the 1990s? Or the 1970s?

How did they keep it a secret? From everyone? Why has the US not flexed this mighty power, to keep China in check, instead allowing China to rise to equality, and assume supremacy?

And, also, why employ this truly bizarre media technique of faking lots of UAP videos and persuading pilots to lie on camera and speculating about ET in a manner that makes everyone look mad

I don't buy it. But then it's very hard to buy all the other scenarios, too

Mass hallucination? They are known during plagues. Popular delusions and fearful portents in the skie

Mass hallucinations don't appear on video recordings usually though. Of course, maybe we're all mass hallucinating that we've seen the recordings!
    OR maybe our memories have been "photo-shopped" by civilizations way beyond human ken for a VERY long (earth) time?
    Human Ken is bad enough… I thought Boris had beaten him.., but now we have way beyond human Ken as well?!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

This evening's Covanecdote: One of my colleagues got phoned by his GP surgery to come in for his second jab early. Just over the 8 week mark.

I'm still waiting for Bozo to get in touch. Tomorrow is 8 weeks and 2 days.

10 week anniversary for me tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

lol
    Lol?

If an object passes through air at a high speed, it compresses the air that hits the leading edges.

Something travelling at 9,000 miles an hour (if it's the size they say it is) would be compressing an awful lot of air. So, either

or

That’s possible, and not my overall scepticism above, but I’d also flag that once you’re doing 9000mph in an atmosphere, and manoeuvring, you’re already breaking a lot of our rules.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm old enough to remeber the mid-nineties and the surge of UFO reporting that happened then.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tucker Carlson? Fox??

You now have liberal US media - the NYT, CNN, 60 minutes - and Trumpite US media - Fox, NYPost - eagerly buying into the same narrative: there is something Out There. Plus Obama? Rubio. The CIA

What's more it seems carefully stage managed. The Navy video was leaked, within hours it was confirmed by the Pentagon, a few hours later Fox is up and running with a coherent (if surreal) take

Something is definitely happening, it's just quite hard to work out cui bono and WTAF
    1968 "POTUS, Bring Us Together"

2021 "ET&Co, Bring Us Together"
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

lol
    Lol?

or

That’s possible, but I’d also flag that once you’re doing 9000mph in an atmosphere, and manoeuvring, you’re already breaking a lot of our rules.
    But "breaking the rules" could also mean that either:

(a) it's deliberately faked (and anyone who's spent any time around 'mediums' will always remember how reluctant they are... @Leon's line about them not releasing it and not wanting to make money sounds exactly like how mediums behave.

or

(b) the analysis is simply wrong
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

A speck of dust?! What kind of dust cruises over a mountain ridge then banks carefully to the right and zooms away at speed?

I can easily believe this video is faked. But it is not a stupid fake.

Listen to the account of the film-maker. He was there and heard and saw nothing. It was going too fast, and caused no atmospheric disturbance. It only came to light when they watched the video. It was outwith human sensorial comprehension

Is he lying? Possibly. Probably. Who knows. Not me. Not you
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Cookie said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

4) They're not human but they are terrestrial

Elves or demons anyone? Stories of extra-dimensional, supernatural beings living alongside us but not exactly with us go back to the roots of human folklore. Given how these entities seem to behave in those stories, I think I'd prefer the aliens.

The descriptions of "aliens" by UFO-abductees are uncannily similar to the descriptions of "fairies" or "elves" dating from the middle ages.
    Absolutely. The similarities are striking.
    An acquaintance of mine from uni was convinced he'd seen aliens multiple times. Saw UFOs often. Talked about three distinct sorts of aliens, some of whom were benign, some weren't - all of whom he'd encountered. Was genuinely terrified of repeating the experience.
    He was from Lincolnshire, and very much valued being at uni in a city (Sheffield) where he never saw them and felt infinitely safer.
    I have no idea what can be learned from this. But he was quite sincere.
    IF he talked like that AND came from Seattle, we'd be advising him to have his house checked for toxic mold. Seriously.
    The only time I’ve been properly scared was when I was riding across northern Lincolnshire late one evening when the fog came rolling in…
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tucker Carlson? Fox??

Tucker Carlson has been doing "features" on UFOs for years. He even used this as evidence that he was fully prepared to consider "out-there" theories when he, somewhat uncharateristically, called out Sidney Powell for her ridiculous Dominion/Venezuela theories about the election (saying she had no evidence) - and why he is one of the few "big name" Fox presenters not actually called out in the Dominion lawsuits.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

lol
    Lol?

or

Edit to add: watch the footage again. The trees don't seem to even register its presence. Doesn't that strike you as strange?
    You're better on software for car parks, TBH. No offence
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Are the EU entries suffering from a lack of Pfizer ?
    If you struggle to progress beyond the semi, Pfizer can help you out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

lol
    Lol?

or

That’s possible, but I’d also flag that once you’re doing 9000mph in an atmosphere, and manoeuvring, you’re already breaking a lot of our rules.
    But "breaking the rules" could also mean that either:

(a) it's deliberately faked (and anyone who's spent any time around 'mediums' will always remember how reluctant they are... @Leon's line about them not releasing it and not wanting to make money sounds exactly like how mediums behave.

or

(b) the analysis is simply wrong
    Don’t disagree. See above - before I swallowed it I’d want to speak to someone who knew more than me about video anomalies and what random crap in the air, or insects, can look like from a drone. But, all of these things do perhaps add up and bear investigation.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

lol
    Lol?

or

You're better on software for car parks, TBH. No offence
    It's hard for me to take offence when you can't even manage to string together a coherent argument.
  • Options
    Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    4m
    Wednesday's i: PM faces backlash over local lockdowns #TomorrowsPapersToday

Here we go again. Tiers and local lockdowns. Be interesting to see the scale of Tory rebellion.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Good Lord

EXCL: Keir Starmer is in talks with a production company about a fly on the wall documentary tracking his leadership

Some aides see it as a way of getting a broader section of the public to engage with him

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1394564641850896386?s=21
  • Options

Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    4m

Here we go again. Tiers and local lockdowns. Be interesting to see the scale of Tory rebellion.

Sadiq Khan going to be calling for a uniform London approach again?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224

Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    4m

Local lockdowns don't work
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2021
    isam said:

Good Lord

EXCL: Keir Starmer is in talks with a production company about a fly on the wall documentary tracking his leadership

Some aides see it as a way of getting a broader section of the public to engage with him

Can't go any worse than the Jezza one, where the guy following him started off as a self confessed fan and they ended up banning him because he asked one toughish question and Jezza had a meltdown.

Somrbody is clearly advising him that he needs to do a lot more media e.g. doing the soft soap with Morgan....he is going to need some training cos he was total David Brent when he did CH4 and they asked him some easy questions.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

A speck of dust?! What kind of dust cruises over a mountain ridge then banks carefully to the right and zooms away at speed?

I can easily believe this video is faked. But it is not a stupid fake.

Listen to the account of the film-maker. He was there and heard and saw nothing. It was going too fast, and caused no atmospheric disturbance. It only came to light when they watched the video. It was outwith human sensorial comprehension

Is he lying? Possibly. Probably. Who knows. Not me. Not you
    Looks like it's going around 100mph. Or it would be invisible.
  • Options

isam said:

Good Lord

Can't go any worse than the Jezza one, where the guy following him started off as a self confessed fan and they ended up banning him because he asked one toughish question and Jezza had a meltdown.
    Keir ‘Interesting’ Starmer
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Foss said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Gadi Schwartz
    @GadiNBC
    ·
    24m

Also plausible

That was priced in to my point.....

I don’t think you would do “control signals” though. Again, pointless speculation but assume a range of 50-100 light years to be worth bothering. Using technology we can just about imagine, you could get a probe there in a few hundred years. You then have a 50-100 year lag to hear back. I’m at the limits of what I could imagine being worth it, but then you also have to allow for longer life spans as technology improves, and feckless rich culture doing it on a whim.
    Von Neumann machines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft

If you're a super advanced rich civilisation you can just create machines they recreate themselves, and send them out to automatically investigate and report back, over millennia, if not Eternity

However, and set against this, is the evidence that some of these machines seem "manned", indeed *playful*

"The TicTac exhibited ‘play’ behavior. Then it moved 60 miles in a matter of seconds to a rendezvous point only the fleet knew about. Possible explanations:
    1 intelligence behind TicTac is like mammals
    2 it can either hack our electronics or our minds or both
    3 craft bends physics"

https://twitter.com/ufotheologian/status/1394626103508152321?s=20

"Well for the tic tac UAP to move from the F18 super hornet location to 60 miles in a second that’s 216000 miles per hour. That’s not possible either! If this is using gravity propulsion as theorised it would be affecting space time. Linear distances need not apply."

https://twitter.com/LawrenceMail/status/1394756979676127241?s=20
  • Options

Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    4m

I don't see it happening - there's too many people who have been vaccinated.
  • Options

Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    4m

Local lockdowns don't work, everybody just goes to the surrounding towns.
  • Options

Helen Miller
    @MsHelicat
    ·
    4m

Local lockdowns don't work, everybody just goes to the surrounding towns.
    I wondered about that. Will people in Glasgow just pop over to wherever is not Glasgow.
  • Options
    Newsnight have a feature on UFOs.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Good Lord

Keir ‘Interesting’ Starmer
    Anyway he is already done a fly on the wall documentary series when he managed Whitbury-Newtown Leisure Centre.
This discussion has been closed.