Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Boris, Boris vote supressor – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,121
    kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    Calling for Israel to respect international law. That's TERRIBLE. The guy is utterly captured by the Hard Left.
    I think he could have asked those in Gaza not to fire rockets indescriminately too...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,827
    MrEd said:

Leon said:

Referencing our prior discussion of architecture. If we’re going to rebuild our city centres like the Germans - restoring them completely to pre-war beauty - we could start with Birmingham.

WTF is that big red brick building? How did that land in the middle of one of our great cities?

It’s like we abandoned all notions of beauty and harmony after 1945. It’s like we tried to make our towns as hideous as possible

‘The Bull Ring in Birmingham, 1931 and today. Chatwin's great church still stands, but all around lies folly and disaster.’

https://twitter.com/scp_hughes/status/1392428776609492993?s=21

Portsmouth city centre is a mess post war rebuilding
    At the risk of inflaming certain Remainer types, that is what happened when you listened to "experts" who thought they knew best.
    Yes. Architecture and town planning in the UK are almost entirely captured by a progressive ‘elite’ that is as stupid as it is narcissistic. They would never allow a Dresden-type rebuilding as they regard it as ‘reactionary pastiche’, they want exciting contemporary city centres with added ugliness, raw bricks, demolished churches, and multi storey concrete homeless shelters

Note that rebuilding of ‘medieval Frankfurt’ was opposed by leftwing German architects (“trying to erase the war”), luckily for the Germans the left was pushed back

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    Calling for Israel to respect international law. That's TERRIBLE. The guy is utterly captured by the Hard Left.
    I think he could have asked those in Gaza not to fire rockets indescriminately too...
    But Hamas are lovely, innocent people who are just misunderstood. At least that's what Labour have been telling me for the last five years
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    But Hamas are lovely, innocent people who are just misunderstood. At least that's what Labour have been telling me for the last five years
    I don't recall that, even under Corbyn, they went that far.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

Referencing our prior discussion of architecture. If we’re going to rebuild our city centres like the Germans - restoring them completely to pre-war beauty - we could start with Birmingham.

WTF is that big red brick building? How did that land in the middle of one of our great cities?

It’s like we abandoned all notions of beauty and harmony after 1945. It’s like we tried to make our towns as hideous as possible

‘The Bull Ring in Birmingham, 1931 and today. Chatwin's great church still stands, but all around lies folly and disaster.’

On the subject of the Bull Ring this might interest you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg4nFmPMc0w

James Fox Time Traveller series are brilliant. There is a great one of Nottingham as well.
    That’s brilliant. Albeit depressing. One small solace is that modern Brum is somewhat nicer than its nadir in the 1970s. I dimly remember that 70s Bullring. Omg.

There’s a theory that British cities peaked in beauty around 1900. Looks quite true for Birmingham, though 1820 also looks good
  • Options

Hero
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

True and terribly sad. The Dresden Frauenkirche is the symbol of all we could do, but choose not to:

We have much to learn from Germany. Let’s just copy that. Do it
    We did in quite some measure. This was St Bride's Fleet Street

Or preserve ruins .. St Dunstan in the East and Coventry Cathedral.

Personally I think that Sir Basil Spence's new cathedral at Coventry is as good as most Medieval ones in England.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907

O/T but DPD were due to deliver a time sensitive package this morning. Sent a message saying “you weren’t in. We will try tomorrow”. We respond “yes we were”. They send picture of property to prove they knocked. Not only not our property, the picture has the door with the wrong number on it. How fucking stupid can their employees be?

I once had Yodel come to my door, take a photo text me it and walk off seemingly without even knocking - I had chase their deliveryman down the street.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Wales is now just 1% behind Israel in terms of 1st dose of vaccines (Population adjusted of course)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    22 cases in Wales today. Huge drop from 54 last wednesday. They've probably hit herd immunity for the original and kent variants at least.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

Portsmouth city centre is a mess post war rebuilding
    At the risk of inflaming certain Remainer types, that is what happened when you listened to "experts" who thought they knew best.
    Yes. Architecture and town planning in the UK are almost entirely captured by a progressive ‘elite’ that is as stupid as it is narcissistic. They would never allow a Dresden-type rebuilding as they regard it as ‘reactionary pastiche’, they want exciting contemporary city centres with added ugliness, raw bricks, demolished churches, and multi storey concrete homeless shelters

Note that rebuilding of ‘medieval Frankfurt’ was opposed by leftwing German architects (“trying to erase the war”), luckily for the Germans the left was pushed back

Town planning rarily is - they mostly have the job of trying to make the utterly incredibly appalling, just appalling - it's rare that planners get the chance to go back and say give us something that is at least half decent
This discussion has been closed.