Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Size does matter in Hartlepool – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,376
    kle4 said:

Why does the baby need a nanny?

What business is it of yours?
    It only is his, or any of ours, business, if it is indeed the case that the PM sought someone else to pay for that nanny, as public officials being supported in such a way opens them up to possibilities of being influenced by whoever pays.

If he didn't it is not our business, but if he did it is.
    I dont care who.paid for his nanny if indeed someone did..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Leon said:

This shit is incredible now

‘Former Sen. Harry Reid: I was told Lockheed Martin had UFO crash fragments’

https://twitter.com/salon/status/1388750862248448000?s=21

Of course they do, it's kept in the same warehouse as the Arc of the Covenant and the Holy Grail.
    Your ironic comment might not stand the test of time very well!
    You mean you think they've actually got them?
    Lets just say I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the initial press reports of a downed UFO at Roswell proved to be true.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,309

kle4 said:

It only is his, or any of ours, business, if it is indeed the case that the PM sought someone else to pay for that nanny, as public officials being supported in such a way opens them up to possibilities of being influenced by whoever pays.

Neither do I as long as that person didn’t materially benefit from it
  • Options
    Leon said:

‘the UFO stuff is pretty obviously some kind attempt to confuse foreign powers into thinking we have some advanced weapon capability that we are testing’

Hard to see how they pull that off. There have been reports from airline pilots of sighting these things, backed up by ATC radar tracks. If this was being set up it would leak, 100% certain.

The alternative is the people behind this having the capability to build machines that appear to be defying the laws of physics as we understand them well enough to fool both observers and radar. That seems far fetched, unless they really do posses some very advanced technology.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    nico679 said:

So apparently trade negotiators will just capitulate to anything the U.K. wants because they’re fed a Michelin starred meal on HMS Prince Philip ! Another load of jingoistic flag waving nonsense from this cesspit of a government .

It’s not trade negotiators.

It’s for entertaining business men and women. The feedback I’ve had is that people who would regularly turn down invitations to the embassy for promotional events would jump at going to the Royal Yacht for cocktails.

Those sorts of events generate huge numbers of leads for British business
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Leon said:

Of course they do, it's kept in the same warehouse as the Arc of the Covenant and the Holy Grail.
    Lets just say I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the initial press reports of a downed UFO at Roswell proved to be true.

I am still of a mind that the US is incapable of keeping conspiracies secret.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Of your many transient neuroses this is the most bizarre.
    I’m so bored of Scotland, wallpaper, fucking Hartlepool, and possibly dead postmen

ALIENS ARE HERE is much better. You have to admit
    Not really interested in aliens per se, but if they have been here for millennia and have hi def video of everything that has ever happened, we can talk.
    I hope they have no footage of me from the evening of 25th June 2000 in Vienna.
    Exactly the sort of thing I'm after.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Leon said:

UFO doesn't mean alien life though. It could be Boris Johnson's moral compass.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Additionally, there is no problem with Ms Symmonds getting a job if she wants to decorate the flat at one go, rather than do a few rooms at a time.

She has one as Head of Something Or Other at an animal charity. Presumably her nightly exposure to Johnson on the vinegars was good preparation for working with gorillas.
    No she doesn't - I do know about the animal welfare sector. She's a patron of the Conservative Animal Welfare Foundation, which is literally just lending her name to a voluntary campaign group (the counterpart to the Labour Animal Welfare Society), at a salary of £0.

As I said yesterday, the attempt to have a go at Johnson's partner as a proxy for attacking him is dodgy and has an element of misogyny. She's keen on animals, but to be fair he has quite a good record on the issue too (as I expect we shall see on Tuesday week in the Queen's Speech). Others may disagree, but if so they should criticise Johnson. not his partner who happens to be of similar mind on this.
    So she doesn’t have a full time job, but still needs a full time nanny?
    I don't know if she has a full-time job - just not in the animal welfare sector as Dura thought. I'm not especially concerned by them wanting a nanny and finding a Tory donor willing to pay for it, so long as it was properly declared and there's no suggestion that said donor expected a favour in return.
    Don’t you read the Guardian @NickPalmer

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/21/carrie-symonds-wants-animals-to-run-free-so-why-is-she-working-for-a-zoo
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,915
    edited May 2021

ydoethur said:

Can anyone explain to me what twisted mind would chainsaw down the Ospreys nest in Wales

BBC News - Bid to lure ospreys to new nest after chainsaw attack
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56957549

No.

@Theuniondivvie was lamenting it as well.

I think there are just some very sick people about.
    The tree used for the nest at Loch Garten was attacked when it was the home of the first ospreys returning to the UK. Some psychotic ghillies and gamekeepers in Scotland.
    In those days when Ospreys were very rare the eggs were also irresistible to the very strange breed that are egg collectors. I believe they were more of a problem than the psychotic gamekeepers.

These days you can watch the Strathspey ospreys fishing in the Rothiemurchus estate's trout lake (for a fee) - so they now keep the estate managers in a job.

I can't see an egg collector chopping the whole nest down, though. There's quite a big fishery on Llyn Brenig so perhaps someone connected with that was the culprit?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    TimT said:

Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Leon said:

I am still of a mind that the US is incapable of keeping conspiracies secret.
    I'm extremely sceptical of claims of large-scale conspiracies. Official obfuscation on a large scale, from disparate parts of a bureaucracy and a military, for historical reasons of a Cold War mentality ; the need to maintain a perception of total airspace control, as the New Yorker suggests, is all too plausible , though.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,557
    Turns out it’s not just America

‘Former Israeli space #security chief Haim Eshed has revealed that aliens from a "Galactic Federation" have been in contact with the US and #Israel for years, but humanity isn't ready to know this.

Or so he claims.’

https://twitter.com/jerusalem_post/status/1335948000707928066?s=21

Someone has put acid in the drinking water in Jerusalem AND the Pentagon?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

kle4 said:

If a PM cannot afford things and others then provide those things for him, it is worth knowing who if it is someone who might benefit from things he, as PM, can provide, as it puts him under a financial obligation. That's fine, so long as people know he is under such a financial obligation.

We've seen stories like this with PMs and politicians, about who paid for holidays and the like, and staying for free in some rich person's villa etc. It's no different if the situation is he is getting money or services for something else, because of the position he holds.

Being in public office is going to be more intrusive than other roles, it comes with the territory, and none of this would have arisen in the first place without his evasiveness.

If he is so hard up he needs others to pay for things I won't judge him for that, but that's why declarations exist. If the claim is bullcrap, then whoever leaked it and has run with it should be condemned.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,835
    Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

"For a government struggling with the perception that lucrative opportunities are available if you know the right people — rules and merit be damned — not requiring an interrogation of Vennells and her senior colleagues under oath is, to put it lightly, not a great look.

Sub-postmasters and their families are not calling for an indiscriminate witch-hunt — that, after all, would make them no different from the faceless bureaucracy at the Post Office that pursued them so relentlessly without care for evidence or consequence. But “lessons learnt” without any repercussions for those who necessitated those lessons in the first place is not justice; it is absolution. We need a full, statutory inquiry, empowered by the state to hear all pertinent evidence and testimony."

From this harrowing article on the human cost of the Post Office Horizon scandal - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/post-office-scandal-justice-was-delivered-too-late-for-my-uncle-q6q0tk8zs.

We have a full inquiry into Grenfell, and I don't think there's much difference as far as 'lives ruined' are concerned.
    Even if a number of middle rank Post Office staff are convicted of perjury, that still doesn't absolve the people at the top who must have had questions.
    But, did they perjure themselves? They were assured that the software was working. They believed the assurances. They lacked the competence to detect software errors.

They were gullible. They were stupid. But, these are not crimes.

Vennells was clearly over-promoted -- though she was lauded at the time as a successful working-class woman leading an important company. She was gullible. She was stupid. These are not crimes.

Any public inquiry will conclude that no crimes were committed by the Post Office and its management. Gross incompetence is not a crime.

I am puzzled as to why the buckets of shit are not being poured over the software compare (Fujitsu) that supplied the crappy software that made the errors.

They are more to blame that the wretched Vennells. They supplied the product that caused the problems, and they repeatedly assured Vennells and the Post Office that there was no problem.
    Read the emails Vennells sent- she was not asking for issues with the software to be highlighted but to hidden from her.
    Vennells has (properly) resigned from her Directorships -- IMO she should have done so much earlier.

She is incompetent and a poor manager. She has a very serious miscarriage of justice on her conscience.

But, she has a degree in Russian and French. She (probably) has zero understanding of software.

The Post Office was repeatedly told by Fujitsu that there was no problem with the software.

I suspect Vennells lacked the skillset, the competence and the curiosity to get to the bottom of the problem. She has poor leadership skills, and she should certainly have her CBE taken away from her.

But, at the heart of this, it is Fujitsu who made the catastrophic mistake, and denied making it. They are software experts, and they had the expertise to test their software. They should be held responsible.

My question is: why are Fujitsu not paying compensation? Why is it the UK taxpayer, through the Government?

I don't like Vennells & I am not defending her. But, surely Fujitsu should be pursued -- they seem to me to be more blameworthy.
    I quite agree. The judges have referred the evidence of some of the Fujitsu employees for further investigation. But the Post Office presumably had a Head of IT. Was he/she another ignoramus who knew nothing about IT and did not have the wit to ask some pretty obvious and basic questions?

I am not an IT expert but pretty much all my cases have involved some serious interrogation of IT systems. You need the ability to ask basic and obvious questions and if you get waffle you don't understand you keep on asking until you do understand. If you cannot manage this much you are not, IMO, fit for anything much more than putting the bins out for collection.

There is nothing in this life so complicated that someone who understands it cannot explain it simply. And if they can't, one of two things is happening: either they don't understand it themselves or they are trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Any halfway competent manager - let alone a CEO - should be able to understand IT systems sufficiently, especially when this amount of money is being spent and when problems start appearing. And they should be getting good people working for them with the technical understanding they don't have.

We are far too willing to let people off the hook. These people are being paid good salaries to do their job properly not to behave like monkeys seeing, hearing, saying nothing.
    As far as I am concerned Vennells should be in jail. She was the Chief Executive at the time when the Post Office ordered Second Sight to abandon their investigations and destroy any remaining paperwork one day before they were due to issue a damning report into the Horizon scandal. She clearly knew that the PO was at fault and that people were having their lives ruined because of a failure by the Post Office and yet she chose to suppress those findings and allow people to remain in jail or eventually commit suicide rather than admit the Post Office got it wrong.

She deserves no sympathy or understanding for this. She deserve to be prosecuted.
    On what charge.

I agree with your core sentiment, she should be punished. She won’t be. She, like all the others who bear some responsibility, will get on with their lives.
    Perverting or obstructing the course of justice might be a possibility.

I wondered about that, too.
    Not in the case of the original prosecutions, but later there appears to have be a deliberate obfuscation of evidence which might exonerated those wrongly convicted. Whether that rises to the level of criminal responsibility surely at least bears investigation ?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,557
    Former Director of the CIA

‘I think it’s a bit presumptuous and arrogant for us to believe that there’s no other form of life anywhere in the entire universe. What that might be is subject to a lot of different views.

‘But I think some of the phenomena we’re going to be seeing continues to be unexplained and might, in fact, be some type of phenomenon that is the result of something that we don’t yet understand and that could involve some type of activity that some might say constitutes a different form of life.’

http://conversationswithtyler.com/episodes/john-o-brennan/

‘Some of the phenomena that we’re going to be seeing’ is quite a tormented phrase, as is the whole quote, but he clearly suggests these sightings will continue, they’re not going away, they are persistent and regular
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608

NEW THREAD

And it is better discussion than aliens.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Is the proposal to spend £200 million on another Royal Yacht a serious one?

If so, just no.

The Royal Family can buy their own bloody yacht. And government ministers don't need one.

We need one to help with our trade deals post Brexit and it will also help sell global Britain.

An excellent Tory idea from this Tory majority government and backed by 51% of Tory voters to just 31% opposed.
    https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/wpapp9bzh5/Internal_RoyalYacht_210414 .pdf
    So supported by a minority of all voters then.

No - it's an utter waste of money. A vanity project for a vainglorious government.
    No, I don't think so.

Being coldly logical about it I think a Royal Yacht will easily deliver a positive rate of return to the Exchequer.
    I agree. The running costs will be significant, not less than 10 million a year just for keeping it afloat I think. But Britannia was a significant part of Britain's diplomatic apparatus, and that becomes even more important now we're an independent country again.
    I think Ursula vdL is the first foreign politician we should invite on it, so she can see what a real head of state has.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    Presumably if @squareroot2 was an employer, he would have no problem if a supplier bidding for contracts was paying for a (potentially undeclared) significant personal benefit for one of his key employees with decision-making powers, . None of his business, right?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

ping said:

Leon said:

Plague might turn out to be only the third biggest story of 2020, behind the arrival of true artificial intelligence and the confirmation of aliens visiting earth. That’s quite a newsy year

Are the alients visiting Earth or visiting America?
    For some reason, they always choose to visit America.
    After due research they've obviously decided that it's the nation most deserving of a programme of anal probing.
    This

https://destroyallhumans.fandom.com/wiki/Anal_Probe
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Leon said:

Turns out it’s not just America

‘Former Israeli space #security chief Haim Eshed has revealed that aliens from a "Galactic Federation" have been in contact with the US and #Israel for years, but humanity isn't ready to know this.

Or so he claims.’

https://twitter.com/jerusalem_post/status/1335948000707928066?s=21

Someone has put acid in the drinking water in Jerusalem AND the Pentagon?

Eshed is fascinating because for 30 years he had an impeccable record on the Israeli satellite programme, then said "For 30 years I've had an impeccable record on the Israeli satellite programme, so now I can say this stuff."

Joint human-alien bases under the Martian surface was a bit more out there than anybody else has gone, however. So maybe he was acid-spiked.

Or else he blurted out the biggest story in the history of human existence.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095

NEW THREAD

And it is better discussion than aliens.
    Fake news
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Charles said:

nico679 said:

So apparently trade negotiators will just capitulate to anything the U.K. wants because they’re fed a Michelin starred meal on HMS Prince Philip ! Another load of jingoistic flag waving nonsense from this cesspit of a government .

It’s not trade negotiators.

It’s for entertaining business men and women. The feedback I’ve had is that people who would regularly turn down invitations to the embassy for promotional events would jump at going to the Royal Yacht for cocktails.

Those sorts of events generate huge numbers of leads for British business
    Absolutely. And you can double that effectiveness of the free lunch if the waitresses have low cut tops. 🤤
This discussion has been closed.