Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With the Electoral Commission now investigating the decoration costs Johnson has his worst PMQs to d

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited April 2021 in General
imageWith the Electoral Commission now investigating the decoration costs Johnson has his worst PMQs to date – politicalbetting.com

Have never seen Johnson so rattled and angry at the despatch box in his final answer to Starmer – red faced and ranting at the end … denied his ‘bodies’ quote again and still didn’t answer the central Q about No 10 flat – who picked up the bill at the start

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,189
    Not the assessment on the previous thread. Didn't watch.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,179
    Has Starmer got the 'bodies' tape?

Seems he left a hint that he had when he made it clear lying to the House on that scale was a resignation matter. Then he moved on to wallpaper.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,947
    DavidL said:

Everyone has a habit of showing their bias

This is however a very telling photo - Boris was definitely rattled

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,175
    DavidL said:

Not my assessment either and I saw it.

Keir = ineffective as usual

Boris = clearly in command, showing leadership and direction, as usual

But as ever the LAB supporters on here can keep dreaming!

• Options

Seems he left a hint that he had when he made it clear lying to the House on that scale was a resignation matter. Then he moved on to wallpaper.

I commented yesterday that if there was actual evidence you wouldn't be producing it until after PMQs.

So perhaps it does exist...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    You watched a very different PMQs to me, I thought the PM was very impassioned and cleverly both answering the questions and moving on to addressing other issues that Labour have no answers for like housing, jobs, tax and more. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

DavidL said:

Of course you are a pillar of objectivity yourself mate
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    OldBasing said:

Boris completely rattled. Starmer's got him on the record in Parliament - job done; now we await the further leaks and info to show that he has now lied to the Commons...

Whilst I don't trust Boris Johnson one bit, you are rather assuming leaks and info will definitely show he lied to the Commons. He may disappoint us there.
  • Options
    PMQ assessment is so partisan it's only worthwhile if someone who usually says Boris did well says he did poorly.
  • Options
    John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    21m
    Unconvincing Tory cries of “More!” Certain evidence that they know the PM is in trouble
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The assessment on the previous thread was from fanbois. Labour loonies insist Kuennesberg is a Tory, and yet she has said what was self-evident.
  • Options
    eek said:

I commented yesterday that if there was actual evidence you wouldn't be producing it until after PMQs.

So perhaps it does exist...
    I just don't see how there can be. Anyone who goes around surreptitiously recording conversations or rants by the PM in Downing Street is not only going to be sacked but risking an appearance in front of the beak. It would be a very serious matter.
  • Options
    Well, I watched it and I've never seen Johnson so rattled.

• Options

DavidL said:

Not a Labour supporter, on record as saying the Tories will benefit from replacing him.

To go back to my rule of law points - if the PM has broken the law should he resign?

If not then are you happy for someone to glass you in a pub and deflect away legal challenge because they disagree with the relevance of the law?
  • Options

DavidL said:

The assessment on the previous thread was from fanbois. Labour loonies insist Kuennesberg is a Tory, and yet she has said what was self-evident.
    Labour loonies insist that Labour PMs and MPs are a Tory.

LauraK is no Tory, she's a BBC lefty like the rest of them, just not so extreme left as the Momentum types would prefer.
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    21m
    Unconvincing Tory cries of “More!” Certain evidence that they know the PM is in trouble

Unconvincing is in the eye of the beholder of course. Seems like the logic of when politician X is attacked by opponents, and their supporters claim it is because said opponents fear X. Which might be true, but could also mean they just think X is crap.

That is, Tory backbenchers crying 'more' could be a sign they know the PM is in trouble, but could also be a sign they wanted more.

Given the self harm from the Cummings accusations and the weird evasions from No.10 on the flat stuff I'm inclined to agree it is the former, but I'm surprised Rentoul would take his subjective interpretation of an 'unconvincing' cry as opposed to a convincing cry, as evidence of them knowing the PM is in trouble. Feels like working backwards from a conclusion and finding the pattern to support it.
  • Options
    On the allegations about Boris's covid comments, those anonymous witnesses would have to have a recording of his words otherwise it is a he said she said situation

If it is not written( recorded) it is not said

If a recording contradicts Boris he will have to resign
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,175

DavidL said:

Of course you are a pillar of objectivity yourself mate
    Of course! I regard myself as broad centre social liberal moderate. I am glad you get this.
  • Options
    So, since we are apparently supposed to take this seriously:

(1) Boris has a budget of £30k a year to do up the Downing Street flat.
    (2) For reasons that seem pretty much inexplicable redecorating and refurnishing comes in nearer to £90k.
    (3) Boris doesn't have that sort of cash, a point he might have thought about before he spent it, so his friends are asked to rally around, which they do.
    (4) This gets awkward so friends are reimbursed and Boris pays it himself.
    (5) Except that he doesn't (see (3)) but instead gets a loan from the Conservative party to whom the friends (see (4)) may or may not have made donations.

No public money is spent beyond the £30k. There is no failure to declare because the deadline for this has not yet passed. There may be an attempt to conceal what is effectively financial support from friends who may or may not be up for government contracts.

Have I missed anything material?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,598

Well, I watched it and I've never seen Johnson so rattled.

One person's "rattled" is another person's "impassioned".......
  • Options
    Can the fanbois answer whether the law should apply to the Prime Minister? Before his rant/passionate final answer he explicitly refused to answer the question about who paid the bill.

He tried to suggest that he had paid the dollah but then said he would make whatever declarations he is advised he should make. So if he has accepted the cash and not declared it then its a black and white illegat act and a black and white breach of the established standards in public life encapsulated in the ministerial code.

If the PM is found to have illegally failed to declare this should he resign? If not, which other laws should he be free to break without comeback? And which laws should you and me be free to breach and not be pulled up for?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,874
    DavidL said:

The Electoral Commission thinks they have grounds to investigate, so yes, probably.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,304
    OT-ish thought. It used to be said that when Conservative MPs got into money troubles, Michael Heseltine would write a cheque and the whips would own their immortal souls. I suppose that would be illegal now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

(2) For reasons that seem pretty much inexplicable redecorating and refurnishing comes in nearer to £90k.
    (3) Boris doesn't have that sort of cash, a point he might have thought about before he spent it, so his friends are asked to rally around, which they do.
    (5) Except that he doesn't (see (3)) but instead gets a loan from the Conservative party to whom the friends (see (4)) may or may not have made donations.

No public money is spent beyond the £30k. There is no failure to declare because the deadline for this has not yet passed. There may be an attempt to conceal what is effectively financial support from friends who may or may not be up for government contracts.

The deadline has passed. "friends" rallying round an giving / loaning him money has to be declared. Why does the law not apply to the Prime Minister>?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,404
    OK, it's Westminster Bubble, and nobody watches PMQs with the calm detachment of (say) a South African watching an Ashes Test. But.

People who are totally sure of their ground and are just peeved about being asked about trivia don't normally behave like that. People who shout sweary stuff about not minding if people die when they've been not got their way in a meeting do. I'm beginning to suspect that the Prime Minister isn't a very nice man, which is odd considering his TV persona.

And if a tape, or other evidence, should turn up, and the PM has just flat-out, one word lied to Parliament, it will be an interesting test of the "nobody cares" theory. Because an awful lot of the smooth running of society depends on the understanding that, if push comes to shove, you don't tell flat-out lies. It's an example of how boring rules-based societies prosper and lawless ones don't.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited April 2021
    DavidL said:

Why didn't he put it to Parliament that £30k is insufficient given the importance of the Grade One listed national asset? Make his case and get it through with his majority - not a one-off increase in the budget, but an sensible increase for all future PMs, perhaps with some index-linking built in.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    One of my A level tutees, none of whom normally give a tin fuck about politics, mentioned the flat on discord. She thinks it's his flat
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Everyone has a habit of showing their bias

This is however a very telling photo - Boris was definitely rattled

He looks like Brucie on the touchline at SJP.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,972
    I didn't watch it.

Boris Johnson losing office due to fibbing over expenses incurred unnecessarily at the behest of a paramour would be quite fitting.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

The Electoral Commission thinks they have grounds to investigate, so yes, probably.
    You mean like they had LEAVE "bang to rights"?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Roger said:

I remember before the last election and Jess Phillips was on. She was asked what she thought of Boris Johnson and she replied '"He's a loyer. He's just a loyer. I can't believe he could become Proime Minister!

At that moment I thought she'd make a great Labour leader. No airs and graces and someone prepared to speak their mind.

She's just what Labour needed and still do. We have a lying puffball of a Prime Minister and we need someone straight talking enough to be heard.

What's a loyer?

Aha. Liar.

Thought you might have meant Lawyer (if there's a difference).
    Of course there is - lawyers get paid for their lying.

This comment is made with humourous intent and is not to be treated as fact. PB limited accepts no liability for any comments which caused offense to this most noble of professions.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    edited April 2021
    You would have to be a special kind of stupid as PM not to declare what you need to declare so I can't see Boris not having done. Surely he would have.

As Ed Balls responded when asked if he kept records of the cash he paid to his handyman, of course I do I'm the shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer.

This is all more likely to try to keep someone out of the news.
  • Options
    An amusing and on-topic anecdote from veteran American journalist (the late) David Brinkley on playing poker with Winston Churchill and Harry Truman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmefhLjRfYw
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    DavidL said:

So why is Boris so angry and impassioned? why doesn't he stand up and say to Starmer, with all that's going on in the world, is this really the best you have got, you irrelevant nobody? A flat refurbishment? Labour leaders of the past must be turning in their graves.

The reason is that he and his government crave the approval and support of the commentariat, the soft left and the mainstream media. Its far more important than all of those votes in the red wall.

The are playing Starmer's game on Starmer's territory. And why they are entangled in this.
  • Options

Can the fanbois answer whether the law should apply to the Prime Minister? Before his rant/passionate final answer he explicitly refused to answer the question about who paid the bill.

He tried to suggest that he had paid the dollah but then said he would make whatever declarations he is advised he should make. So if he has accepted the cash and not declared it then its a black and white illegat act and a black and white breach of the established standards in public life encapsulated in the ministerial code.

If the PM is found to have illegally failed to declare this should he resign? If not, which other laws should he be free to break without comeback? And which laws should you and me be free to breach and not be pulled up for?

If he's found guilty in a court of law of breaking the law then that would be very serious and I can't see how he could survive that.

If this is clerical bollocks that gets resolved and doesn't reach a court of law then IDGAF.

The law is the law yes and that is settled by the courts not partisans pretending that this or that is a breach of the law because it suits their partisan agenda and guilty unless proven innocent is all your political opponents deserve.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The deadline has passed. "friends" rallying round an giving / loaning him money has to be declared. Why does the law not apply to the Prime Minister>?
    Do you know the time line for this? Would there still be an obligation to record the loan/donation even if it had been repaid before the declaration was made? If it was a donation and given back is there any need to say anything?

I am not saying that there is nothing to this. I am trying to identify exactly what the issue is.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    fpt

Floater said:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1387364777752776709

I didn't think Starmer had really landed a blow. But he's got to Boris. Becoming virtually hysterical at the end. It's clear he's very worried about this issue.

This isn't politics now, its the law. He landed enough of a blow to have the PM ranting so much at the end that the speaker advised him to calm down.

Either he has broken the law or he hasn't. Either he has broken the ministerial code of he hasn't. The politics no longer matters - unless people want to explain why this PM does not have to obey the law or his own ministerial code.
    You think that passion was ranting?

A week before the local elections only one leader today brought up Council Tax, housing, vaccinations, ventilators, jobs, nurses, police and more - and it wasn't the Leader of the Opposition.
    Ranting is always impassioned! I don't think this will make a dramatic difference to the elections next week. Its a longer game than that.

Its back to the point I have made on one side and @BluestBlue has made on the other side: Does the Prime Minister have to obey his own laws and behave with the integrity he demands in his ministerial code?

The rule of law is pretty straight forward. Ignorance of the law is no defence. Dislike of the law is no defence. If it is acceptable to break this law is that specific only to this law or in general? Does the principle of the rule of law not apply to certain types of people or in general?

Nobody may give a toss about this law. Will they give a toss about the laws that defend them against rape or assault or murder or fraud? Why should anyone obey any law if we can just disregard them?
    Excellent post.

We now have a bunch of PB Tories, PB Tories scuttling around saying the law doesn't matter.

• Options
    FPT:

The Commission trying to blame-shift onto France/Germany/Italy/Netherlands

EU diplomats have said that the liability and indemnity issues proved to be a challenge for Commission negotiators once they tried to turn the four countries' makeshift agreement into a more solid contract.

“When we received the mandate from all member states ... a number of things were already fixed,” the EU official said. “We were not able to start from a blank sheet, which explains why the AstraZeneca contract is different from commitments with other manufacturers.

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-was-warned-eus-astrazeneca-contract-lacked-teeth-documents/
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

DavidL said:

Not a Labour supporter, on record as saying the Tories will benefit from replacing him.

To go back to my rule of law points - if the PM has broken the law should he resign?

If not then are you happy for someone to glass you in a pub and deflect away legal challenge because they disagree with the relevance of the law?
    If you think some silly technicality equates to glassing someone in the face, then you're utterly divorced from reality and common sense. In the real world, people are capable of distinguishing between serious offences and political muck-raking over sod all.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

DavidL said:

LauraK is no Tory, she's a BBC lefty like the rest of them, just not so extreme left as the Momentum types would prefer.
    Desperate bollocks.
  • Options
    Spotted! Boris Johnson currently in the members tea room trying to charm Tory MPs with his PPS at his side. And the detectives at the door

He doesn’t usually do the tea room... wonder why now....?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1387374458898366465
  • Options

OK, it's Westminster Bubble, and nobody watches PMQs with the calm detachment of (say) a South African watching an Ashes Test. But.

People who are totally sure of their ground and are just peeved about being asked about trivia don't normally behave like that. People who shout sweary stuff about not minding if people die when they've been not got their way in a meeting do. I'm beginning to suspect that the Prime Minister isn't a very nice man, which is odd considering his TV persona.

And if a tape, or other evidence, should turn up, and the PM has just flat-out, one word lied to Parliament, it will be an interesting test of the "nobody cares" theory. Because an awful lot of the smooth running of society depends on the understanding that, if push comes to shove, you don't tell flat-out lies. It's an example of how boring rules-based societies prosper and lawless ones don't.

Its bigger than not lying. Its about not breaking the law. Or not breaking the law with the expectation that the law doesn't apply to you.

£88k whether for redecorating the flat or whatever else doesn't matter at all in the scheme of things. The basic legal principle of the rule of law does matter. We have actual lawyers posting on this site, lawyers who support the "it doesn't matter" argument.

Does it matter that the law applies to everyone equally? If the answer is no then we are well beyond politics.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,357
    TOPPING said:

You would have to be a special kind of stupid as PM not to declare what you need to declare so I can't see Boris not having done. Surely he would have.

This is all more likely to try to keep someone or of the news.

As Ed Balls responded when asked if he kept records of the cash he paid to his handyman, of course I do I'm the shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer

But the distraction strategy thing is more 'classic Dom' isn't it, and Dom isn't there any more.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

I'd not be surprised if most investigations clear the accused, or conclude any breach is trivial.

It'll be exciting if this catches Boris out, but it may be worth preparing for an all clear. If it us, wont lots of us need to apologise?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,216
    edited April 2021
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Do you know the time line for this? Would there still be an obligation to record the loan/donation even if it had been repaid before the declaration was made? If it was a donation and given back is there any need to say anything?

I am not saying that there is nothing to this. I am trying to identify exactly what the issue is.
    As someone who has had to declare these sort of things to the electoral commission, you need to include all donations above 500 quid, whether accepted or not.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited April 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Spotted! Boris Johnson currently in the members tea room trying to charm Tory MPs with his PPS at his side. And the detectives at the door

He doesn’t usually do the tea room... wonder why now....?

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1387374458898366465

I know for a fact that this is bollocks because I’ve read at least twice on here “Boris spotted in the tea rooms! He doesn’t normally go there!”
  • Options

DavidL said:

So why is Boris so angry and impassioned? why doesn't he stand up and say to Starmer, with all that's going on in the world, is this really the best you have got, you irrelevant nobody? A flat refurbishment? Labour leaders of the past must be turning in their graves.

The reason is that he and his government crave the approval and support of the commentariat, the soft left and the mainstream media. Its far more important than all of those votes in the red wall.

The are playing Starmer's game on Starmer's territory. And why they are entangled in this.
    Well, maybe we will find that these friends, who clearly want to remain anonymous, do have government contracts, possibly even contracts that went through the accelerated procedures for Covid related contracts on a non competitive tendering basis. I am not saying that there is nothing to this. But there is a hell of a lot of smoke floating about at the moment without much sign of a fire.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If you think some silly technicality equates to glassing someone in the face, then you're utterly divorced from reality and common sense. In the real world, people are capable of distinguishing between serious offences and political muck-raking over sod all.
    Seriously? Glassing someone in the face does not equate to wiping out three generations of the same family with a bread knife. So we give the former a free pass?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    "Rattled" was the exact term R5L used.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Whilst I don't have specific dates, the Cabinet Office, the Conservative Party and the Electoral Commission all believe the declaration was not made in the required period.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited April 2021

I didn't watch it.

Boris Johnson losing office due to fibbing over expenses incurred unnecessarily at the behest of a paramour would be quite fitting.

Quite good for the country if Boris was ejected in that way. At the moment, he sets a pretty poor standard for others to follow. A model for future leaders. Tories seemingly willing to forgive Boris anything because they like his politics might take pause if someone they agree with far less approached politics in the same way.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,447
    edited April 2021

The EU tries to blame-shift to France-Germany-Netherlands-Italy:

EU diplomats have said that the liability and indemnity issues proved to be a challenge for Commission negotiators once they tried to turn the four countries' makeshift agreement into a more solid contract.

“When we received the mandate from all member states ... a number of things were already fixed,” the EU official said. “We were not able to start from a blank sheet, which explains why the AstraZeneca contract is different from commitments with other manufacturers.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-was-warned-eus-astrazeneca-contract-lacked-teeth-documents/

They really should have left this alone.......

I was really surprised by the letter that UVDL and Merkel made the Health Ministers from the Inclusive Vaccine Alliance sign. It was a calculated humiliation - make them kow-tow.

• Options

If he's found guilty in a court of law of breaking the law then that would be very serious and I can't see how he could survive that.

If this is clerical bollocks that gets resolved and doesn't reach a court of law then IDGAF.

The law is the law yes and that is settled by the courts not partisans pretending that this or that is a breach of the law because it suits their partisan agenda and guilty unless proven innocent is all your political opponents deserve.
    I appreciate your measured post. I'm glad that you accept the rule of law is univeral.

Would the PM really want to hold on through a trial? Whilst innocent until proven guilty is another sacred principle, it isn't usually used as a political fig leaf.

If - as his answers suggest - he didn't declare the money then he has broken the ministerial code. HIS ministerial code where he expects his ministers to follow the required standards in public office. If he didn't declare the money then he has broken the law.

When all this comes out - and if it was innocuous they would have cleared this up already - should the PM resign or not?
  • Options

DavidL said:

A "silly technicality" being "the law". If one law doesn't apply then why would other laws apply?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.
    What is there to be desperate over?

A week before elections my party is consistently clear in the lead in the polls and this country is so well managed that as a nation we have eliminated a global pandemic before any other major economy in the western world.

The 'desperate bollocks' is the attempt to make a story about wallpaper because opposition parties have nothing to oppose when it comes to vaccines, the pandemic, the economy or anything else.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well, maybe we will find that these friends, who clearly want to remain anonymous, do have government contracts, possibly even contracts that went through the accelerated procedures for Covid related contracts on a non competitive tendering basis. I am not saying that there is nothing to this. But there is a hell of a lot of smoke floating about at the moment without much sign of a fire.
    I can quite believe this except for I would be surprised if Boris actually did something wrong. Aren't there teams of people helping PMs avoid doing just that?

My $0.02 is that it is indeed to protect people but more from embarrassment than the examples you mention.

Because Boris would SURELY not be as absolutely fucking stupid as to have come within a million miles of breaking the law while PM. Would he?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Seriously? Glassing someone in the face does not equate to wiping out three generations of the same family with a bread knife. So we give the former a free pass?
    Let's see what the electorate decides. Last time, their verdict on the serious charges of Boris 'illegally proroguing Parliament' and 'lying to the Queen' was to give him the largest share of the vote in 40 years.

I would suggest that if they had the slightest interest in this sort of petty, pusillanimous bullshit about wallpaper or anything else, they wouldn't have done that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Donors above a trivial value cannot remain anonymous. As a lawyer surely you will know why this is the case.
  • Options

I appreciate your measured post. I'm glad that you accept the rule of law is univeral.

Would the PM really want to hold on through a trial? Whilst innocent until proven guilty is another sacred principle, it isn't usually used as a political fig leaf.

If - as his answers suggest - he didn't declare the money then he has broken the ministerial code. HIS ministerial code where he expects his ministers to follow the required standards in public office. If he didn't declare the money then he has broken the law.

When all this comes out - and if it was innocuous they would have cleared this up already - should the PM resign or not?
    If he's found guilty of breaking the law by a court of law then yes.

Would the PM really want to hold on through a trial? Up to him, maybe, other nations leaders have done precisely that - though typically over much more serious allegations of actual corruption etc
  • Options

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

A week before elections my party is consistently clear in the lead in the polls and this country is so well managed that as a nation we have eliminated a global pandemic before any other major economy in the western world.

The 'desperate bollocks' is the attempt to make a story about wallpaper because opposition parties have nothing to oppose when it comes to vaccines, the pandemic, the economy or anything else.
    Philip because just as you have belatedly seen how this govt has extended its reach and restricted our civil liberties to an extraordinary extent - restrictions that you were cheering on a matter of months ago, so now do you begin to realise that there is something rotten at the heart of "your party".
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,161

"Laura K is a woke BBC lefty" - lol.

You and other PB Tories are sounding as flushed, loud and sweaty as your hero.

Let's just see how this develops, shall we.
  • Options
    meanwhile...

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    The Left really do hate Starmer more than they hate Boris...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1387374335736918022
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,357

DavidL said:

I tend to agree. And he could have been really annoying and after giving his response on the refurb said 'so why don't you ask me something about what my Government is doing about the global pandemic, or anything else that actually affects peoples' lives?' - to which Starmer would have just had to plough on with the refurb, and looked like a proper plonker.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Let's see what the electorate decides. Last time, their verdict on the serious charges of Boris 'illegally proroguing Parliament' and 'lying to the Queen' was to give him the largest share of the vote in 40 years.

I would suggest that if they had the slightest interest in this sort of petty, pusillanimous bullshit about wallpaper or anything else, they wouldn't have done that.
    The electorate is irrelevant. You still haven't answered the question. The law is the law. If he has broken it your view is that as he has not glassed someone in the face he should get a free pass for breaking the bit of it that he did. If he did.

Is this who you have become as "BluestBlue"?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited April 2021

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

So why didn't Johnson stand up and say that today? why did he get so flustered??

Because he and his team crave the approval of the mainstream media, the twitterati, the commentariat and the soft left.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

So back to my point. If "the electorate" is happy to grant the PM a pass to break the law then what other laws should he be free to break. Or you for that matter. After all, the law is just "petty, pusillanimous bullshit" after all.

Can I punch you in the face as an example? Or you punch me in the face? And present the defence once arrested that the law is a "silly technicality"?

I get that you and some others are open partisans and that is fine. Can you understand though that there are Bigger Things than the electoral success of the Tory Party? The rule of law is something that absolutely no other Tory leader ever would have treated with the disdain that the current PM and his fanbois do.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Donors above a trivial value cannot remain anonymous. As a lawyer surely you will know why this is the case.
    Absolutely. And no doubt their donations, if they made any, to the Conservative party, will be declared in due course. If their donations to the State on behalf of the PM were repaid in full, however, I am not so sure that needs to be declared.

I remember "loans" were used to hide millions of what were in fact donations in Blair's time and my understanding is that after that loans had to be declared so Boris's loan from the Conservative party will need to be declared too. What is wrong here? I am not getting a straight answer from anyone.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.
    Look back on here in a years time.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

"Laura K is a woke BBC lefty" - lol.

You and other PB Tories are sounding as flushed, loud and sweaty as your hero.

Let's just see how this develops, shall we.
    I never said woke, why would I?

What's funny about the BBC being left? Momentum calls many on the left "Tories" including Starmer, Blair, Mandelson, Jess Phillips, LauraK, anyone who doesn't kiss the ground Corbyn walks on . . .
  • Options
    edited April 2021

TOPPING said:

As Ed Balls responded when asked if he kept records of the cash he paid to his handyman, of course I do I'm the shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer

But the distraction strategy thing is more 'classic Dom' isn't it, and Dom isn't there any more.
    The dead cat strategy is classic Lynton Crosby and Boris was a fan even in his Mayoral days.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited April 2021

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

So why didn't Johnson stand up and say that today? why did he get so flustered.

Because he and his team crave the approval of the mainstream media, the twitterati, the commentariat and the soft left.
    I don't think they "crave the approval of" - rather they are shit-scared of criticism from them. This is a frightened and defensive No 10.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Honestly, this feels desperate. No one cares about who paid for wallpaper.

Of course they don't. But I happen to care whether my PM broke the law.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

Did you listen? That's pretty much exactly what he did say.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

So why didn't Johnson stand up and say that today? why did he get so flustered??

He did say that. He said it repeatedly.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

The electorate is irrelevant. You still haven't answered the question. The law is the law. If he has broken it your view is that as he has not glassed someone in the face he should get a free pass for breaking the bit of it that he did. If he did.

Someone who cares about substantive issues in the real world rather than irrelevant bullshit? I've been that person all my life, and am proud to remain so.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

If it was legal and above board then it would have been placed above board. The longer this goes on without answers the more obvious to everyone it is that it wasn't legal.

Brought down over wallpaper. You have to laugh. What a ludicrous hill to die on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

BoZo cares. It really scares him
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Someone who cares about substantive issues in the real world rather than irrelevant bullshit? I've been that person all my life, and am proud to remain so.
    Your kidding, right?

What about the rule of law. Pick 'n mix? Those you "feel" are right and should be obeyed, the rest not so much?

You, the latin scholar who could probably quote Cicero at me without a Loeb Classic to hand? A thousand years of jurisprudence (wiki)? Fuck the law? That it?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,119

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

If it was legal and above board then it would have been placed above board. The longer this goes on without answers the more obvious to everyone it is that it wasn't legal.

Brought down over wallpaper. You have to laugh. What a ludicrous hill to die on.

This is a good point and why it is so potentially damaging. None of the other stuff is.
  • Options

What I don't think is sustainable is a Tory approach to all of this which essentially revolves around claiming the British people do not mind being lied to or taken for fools by their political leaders because they are more interested in other things. That is dangerous hubris.

Except it works.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,207

DavidL said:

r.

Desperate bollocks.

When even LauraK says BJ is rattled, he really is rattled. She may be about as compromised as a supposedly objective journalist very well can be, and her pro Tory bias has been clear and obvious for a long time, so OGH is right: your comment is total bollocks. As for your doubled down bollocks, the handling of Covid by the civil service has been good, by BJ, not to so much and the whole country knows this, just as they know that he is not a particularly good PM and not a particularly good man. The economy is still a very open question, but I can tell you that upland farmers, fisherfolk and retail workers are not facing the brightest of times, so I would dial back on the triumphalism if I were you. Truth is that you are whistling in the dark. BJ looked awful and quite a lot of votes are not in the box.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,189
    edited April 2021
    In case anyone is interested, that bastion of anti-Tory smears is leading with Liar's repeated denials as its lead story. And the highest rated comments are all deeply critical.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

So back to my point. If "the electorate" is happy to grant the PM a pass to break the law then what other laws should he be free to break. Or you for that matter. After all, the law is just "petty, pusillanimous bullshit" after all.

Can I punch you in the face as an example? Or you punch me in the face? And present the defence once arrested that the law is a "silly technicality"?

I get that you and some others are open partisans and that is fine. Can you understand though that there are Bigger Things than the electoral success of the Tory Party? The rule of law is something that absolutely no other Tory leader ever would have treated with the disdain that the current PM and his fanbois do.
    If you punch someone in the face then I would hope that would end up being taken to court and if found guilty in a court of law then you should face consequences for your actions.

Are you in favour of that? Or do you wish to scrap courts and due process and just have kangaroo courts were public opinion determines if people are guilty or not without such pesky things like facts, laws or evidence?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,404

TOPPING said:

The dead cat strategy is classic Lynton Crosby and Boris was a fan even in his Mayoral days.
    True, and as an occasional shock thing, it has its place the armoury of "things that effective politicians do, even though they're not very nice."

The trouble comes if you come to rely on it too much, and you end up with a huge smelly pile of decomposing felines.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I do. Those in public office should hold high standards and be seen to hold high standards, and that increases with the importance of the role held.

It isnt difficult to declare things properly and it doesnt mean we need robotic angels to hold office. Just be open and transparent and dont take the piss.

This row, even if it goes nowhere, is their own damn fault.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Absolutely. And no doubt their donations, if they made any, to the Conservative party, will be declared in due course. If their donations to the State on behalf of the PM were repaid in full, however, I am not so sure that needs to be declared.

I remember "loans" were used to hide millions of what were in fact donations in Blair's time and my understanding is that after that loans had to be declared so Boris's loan from the Conservative party will need to be declared too. What is wrong here? I am not getting a straight answer from anyone.
    They *haven't* been declared in due time. Thats the whole point. Even now they haven't been declared - he said that he would make whatever declarations the enquiry requires him to make.
  • Options

In case anyone is interested, that bastion of anti-Tory smears is leading with Liar's repeated denials as its lead story. And the highest rated comments are all deeply critical.

Yes the Dail Heil under Geordie Gregg have long been anti-Tory, may as well quote the Mirror.

Are you a fan of the Heil now? Do you consider it an impartial and wise oracle?

I've been against that "newspaper" all along and won't change my principles whether it backs my side or not, what about you?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

If you punch someone in the face then I would hope that would end up being taken to court and if found guilty in a court of law then you should face consequences for your actions.

Are you in favour of that? Or do you wish to scrap courts and due process and just have kangaroo courts were public opinion determines if people are guilty or not without such pesky things like facts, laws or evidence?
    Me? No. PB Tories defending the PM's right to break the law? Not sure. You have stated clearly that the law applies to the PM. Others are saying that the law is a triviality...
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They *haven't* been declared in due time. Thats the whole point. Even now they haven't been declared - he said that he would make whatever declarations the enquiry requires him to make.
    You're insisting they "haven't" with great certainty, I must have missed the court case that settled that issue. Can you point me to when this was determined please?
  • Options
    I do fully expect this to become a lot less prominent after next Thursday.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,161

DavidL said:

It' isn't "silly" to have rules that mitigate against a slide into kleptocracy. Neither is this a matter of party loyalties. I can assure you that if a PM who I liked politically was facing similar questions, I would want those questions answered.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,918
    Scott_xP said:

What I don't think is sustainable is a Tory approach to all of this which essentially revolves around claiming the British people do not mind being lied to or taken for fools by their political leaders because they are more interested in other things. That is dangerous hubris.

Except it works.

It works now when the vaccine roll-out is successful, lockdown is easing, the furlough is shielding incomes, house prices are rising and the triple lock is doing its thing. In other words, it's a strategy for the political good times. Gambling that the good times will never end is not necessarily the wisest choice.

• Options

Yes the Dail Heil under Geordie Gregg have long been anti-Tory, may as well quote the Mirror.

I've been against that "newspaper" all along and won't change my principles whether it backs my side or not, what about you?
    If the Guardian can become a fan of Dubya as he opposed Trump then, of course people can suddenly support the Daily ‘Heil’ or Cummings or whoever.

My enemies enemy is my friend.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Desperate bollocks.

Did you listen? That's pretty much exactly what he did say.
    He didn't remotely say that he had paid the invoice, he said that he had covered it.

The Tories put a lawyer up onto the BBC. He also tried to claim the PM had fully answered the question. Until Laura K reminded him that he was a lawyer at which point he backed down and said that he didn't have any answers to that question.

Listening to you and some others is like a replay of that Thick of It episode where the minister has to ring round the press to insist that he had made an announcement that he didn't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Did the Government pay for it? If not then someone else did and did they pay for it out of the goodness of their heart or is there a quid pro quo where a favour will be called in later.

So it does matter because the question is really who paid the money and what are they hoping for from the favour.

Granted this is not Bulgaria where such things are entertainingly common (the anti-corruption director fired for buying a flat offplan for €60,000 rather than €600,000 other flats were sold for) but we do also (or at least did) have higher standards
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    Laura K uses "rattled" so five live use it.. it will rattled everywhere.. its almost as though the loathsome BBC. Is developing a meme to attack the Govt.

Impartial BBC.. risible.
  • Options

The Heil is a superb newspaper - rabble rousing demeaning of women bullshit. I hate it with a passion. It is the fact that even the Hate Mail are going all guns blazing for this that is so funny.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Except it works.

It works now when the vaccine roll-out is successful, lockdown is easing, the furlough is shielding incomes, house prices are rising and the triple lock is doing its thing. In other words, it's a strategy for the political good times. Gambling that the good times will never end is not necessarily the wisest choice.

The analogy (apologies because I appreciate I am in the minority here) is with lockdown.

You can't put these things back in the bottle. The willing, enthusiastic even, acceptance without demur of a raft of illiberal measures restricting hard won freedoms; and the willing acceptance of a PM or govt who is above the law.

I have to say, polemic aside, @BluestBlue's posts on this are some of the most extraordinary I've read on PB.
This discussion has been closed.