Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A year on for Starmer and he has yet been able to shake the hands of a single voter – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

That's certainly one interpretation of their argument.....
    That's the obvious interpretation of the tweet IMO. Quite what relevance a super majority has i don't know. Is there some hitherto buried provision of the Scotland Act that most are unaware of? Just claiming something means something when it doesn't.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,571
    edited April 2021
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Yes. Amazing.

They do or say something that almost everyone is probably in favour of - then apologise for it because people who have no idea what it is actually about find it theoretically offensive
    Putting boulders to stop people driving onto public parks is racism.
    https://twitter.com/LauraPidcock/status/1377911827196211201
    Laura Pidcock there, doing her very best to keep the Tories in power for the next 20 years. And, to be fair to the lassie, doing it rather well

The Tories are setting up obvious culture war traps everywhere, and Labour are walking into all of them
    She's setting her own traps and walking into them. 'A nomadic way of life' - in the uk?
    Boris could offer her a peerage for services to the Conservative party? Having said all of that, I am sure there is something genuine about Laura Pidcock, which if channelled well could actually serve the country. Could she learn from Jess Phillips?

Most of all, learn that Conservative voters love their country, want to help those in need, believe in policies which redistribute 100s of billions from better off to worse off and generally think that Labour voters are their moral equals.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    edited April 2021

Nigelb said:

Blimey. And I thought the German sense of humour was a bit suspect...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56617049

As France has just gone back into lockdown they can be forgiven for having a sense of humour failure. And it appears they can order pizzas with anchovies on, which is more than I can
    Just had a home made anchovy, olive and sardine pizza - superb!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Nigelb said:

Blimey. And I thought the German sense of humour was a bit suspect...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56617049

As France has just gone back into lockdown they can be forgiven for having a sense of humour failure. And it appears they can order pizzas with anchovies on, which is more than I can
    Just had a home made anchovy, olive and sardine pizza - superb!
    Sounds excellent, you could have done with a bottle of Primitivo!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

felix said:

Are they going to continue to highlight the number of rare blood clots in the under 60s now they aren't getting AZ?

Europe has been afflicted by a peculiar madness with regard to vaccines. It began no doubt with an underlying scepticism has been fuelled by ordering shambles at the EU level, extraordinary irresponsible commentary from politicians at the highest levels, the extraordinary actions of national health agencies who have repeatedly ignored the EMA and finally a bizarre and irrational lashing out especially at the UK for reasons best known only to themselves. In Spain the personal result for me is that, at 66, I am too old to be offered AZT and around 15 years too young to be offered anything else. Luckily, unlike much of the rest of Europe, infection rates here are still quite low. Either way those aged 66-80 are mostly still a good month away from a first dose while anything approaching , say 70% of the population vaccinated with one dose, is unlikely before September. Ironically most citizens are remarkably stoical about it all. Very strange.
    Whatever the EU's madness the press are worse. I can't think of a single journalist who I now respect.
    There are a few.

Tim Harford?
    Jen Williams at the MEN has been top.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,053

Not a good look:

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/1377983237352460290?s=20

What with reports of police interviews of very senior figures over the SNP's supposedly "ringfenced" £600,000 which is not evident from the accounts

It is so sad to see the state of Scotland in an ever-increasing sleazy governing party
    G, you miss the 22 conservative associations that grifted £150K of covid cash as grants?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

She's back! And should be standing for Hartlepool. And still has that talent for spotting the vote winning issue.
    She does have a point though- Saying "dealing with traveller incursions" is a dogwhistle to people who hate travellers. Fine if the leaflet gave a specific measure but its a lazy statement praying on bias.
    How many people out there "hate" travellers simply because of who they are? Can't be many.
    People hate travellers because of this:

https://news.sky.com/story/suffolk-83-suspected-stolen-dogs-recovered-in-police-raid-12252822
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    malcolmg said:

Not a good look:

What with reports of police interviews of very senior figures over the SNP's supposedly "ringfenced" £600,000 which is not evident from the accounts

It is so sad to see the state of Scotland in an ever-increasing sleazy governing party
    G, you miss the 22 conservative associations that grifted £150K of covid cash as grants?
    Got a link to that?
  • Options
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

By the Nats? Yes of course, they believe all the other rubbish the SNP has fed them over the years.
    LOL, that from numpties that worship Bozo
    I don't worship Boris, I think he's an idiot. But I can see the cult-like behaviour of Nats towards Sturgeon, they are not much different from Kippers towards Farage.
    So Tories are different , happy to ignore the lying and stealing etc and that is different from SNP. Selective indeed on who are cults.
    So Sturgeon been forced out then?

oh
    When did Boris or any of his cronies get forced out then
    You said the SNP were different Malc....

Now you are saying they are the same

I am indeed
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,896
    edited April 2021

Age related data

Effect of school holidays here (I can't think of any other explanation) is remarkable. They break up on Friday 26th; cases start to decline significantly from the following Monday, as the drop off in infections feeds through into the numbers.

Kids are evidently the driver in the near-plateauing of cases for most of March - mixing in schools, passing the Plague round, bringing it home to their families. If that's correct then cases will probably continue to drop right through until the weekend of 17/18 April.

It'll be very interesting indeed to see what happens immediately after that. Should cases merely level off again (rather than starting to climb) then it would be reasonable to blame that on the schools, and therefore to conclude that re-opening the shops and beer gardens has had no measurable effect. If so then what's left of physical retail and the hospitality trade, which have of course been shuttered for months because they were claimed to be such a lethal threat, will be absolutely bloody livid. And rightly so, too.
    School holidays, yes. Kids, not necessarily.

A lot of people haven't used up all their leave this year and will have been off work for the whole of this week.

Next week should be interesting. The kids will not be back yet but there will be fewer people off work (new leave year, waiting for unlockdown).
    Doesn't matter how many cases as it should not change policy now given that with the vaccination programmes there should not be many hospitalised cases or deaths. Death and hospitalisation happen from many things .We have to learn to forget about covid
    No, cases don't matter so much, and to be fair, that is what the government have said.

Incidentally, our local weekly Covid missive talked about how children weren't only spreading it in school but a significant amount of cases were actually acquired in private settings. For example, the council were tracing a large outbreak from a birthday party.

Perhaps this may be happening because the parents decided they were mixing in school anyway, so what difference does it make?

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited April 2021

I don't expect that to happen because Sturgeon is not that stupid, but were it to occur it would justify Westminster intervention such as took place in Spring 1972 when the Heath Government suspended Stormont. If Holyrood acts in such an irresponsible way, it would merit the same response -ie an effective - albeit temporary - return to the status quo ante pre-Devolution.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    algarkirk said:

If they mean what they say by saying independence can be negotiated and making no reference to the need for a referendum they are indulging in legal fictions. The text gives themselves a tiny get out, which suggests that they want you to believe it while knowing they don't mean it.
    If you elect to set aside the assumptions that gave rise to the 2014 referendum, and instead to argue that the Scottish Parliament is the sole representative of the democratically expressed will of the Scottish people, then their approach makes complete sense. The Scottish Parliament is then entitled to vote to secede - moral authority trumping legal authority that has been imposed from Westminster, which under this interpretation has no right to do so - and can begin the process of separation as soon as it has thus voted.

This is the kind of approach that could appeal to the hotter kind of separatist (who may be growing frustrated with Nicola Sturgeon's leadership,) especially if/when the Scottish Parliament votes for another referendum and is turned down flat by the UK Government. How much, or how little, support they will gain from the electorate by apparently trying to out nationalist the SNP remains to be seen. We certainly don't have much evidence as yet to guess at the likely performance of the Alba Party in next month's election; one opinion poll taken a few days after the official launch isn't nearly enough.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not a good look:

You yourself have spoken about Police Scotland involvement in the allegations about the SNP and Sturgeon hides behind I cannot remember for anything that needs an answer

With regard to your comment, two wrongs do not make a right
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,361
    That feels like a colossal error for indy. UDI is wildly unpopular
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    How else will they be able to see their mistress....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,639
    edited April 2021

What are these holidays things people are talking about?

Well, I just booked a week in a cottage on the Norfolk Coast in June.

Suspect I will be practicing cycling in the wind.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

She's back! And should be standing for Hartlepool. And still has that talent for spotting the vote winning issue.
    She does have a point though- Saying "dealing with traveller incursions" is a dogwhistle to people who hate travellers. Fine if the leaflet gave a specific measure but its a lazy statement praying on bias.
    How many people out there "hate" travellers simply because of who they are? Can't be many.
    People hate travellers because of this:

https://news.sky.com/story/suffolk-83-suspected-stolen-dogs-recovered-in-police-raid-12252822
    The stereotype exists for a reason
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

By the Nats? Yes of course, they believe all the other rubbish the SNP has fed them over the years.
    I don't worship Boris, I think he's an idiot. But I can see the cult-like behaviour of Nats towards Sturgeon, they are not much different from Kippers towards Farage.
    So Tories are different , happy to ignore the lying and stealing etc and that is different from SNP. Selective indeed on who are cults.

oh

I am indeed
    What caused you to reverse your position in the space of an hour?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 790
    edited April 2021
    The most striking part of recent Covid stats for me is that cases have started to fall again after a period of plateauing after schools opened. This is very likely to be a vaccine effect and means we have more headroom to open up without cases increasing.

Not that a rise in cases shouldn't concern us either with the 60% most vulnerable adults vaccinated, but it does remove a possible weapon in the "don't open up" armory. Given the vaccine effect will grow (lots of first doses given over the last 3 weeks) and the April easing is outdoors only, I can't see a rise in cases being likely until late May. By which point we'll be up at 80%+ of adults vaccinated...

Moreover, deaths and hospitalisations are falling so quickly that they will be practically zero by that point as well.

I am struggling to see a way this could go wrong.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed
    Malc, as I understand your position, you have gone from SNP > Alba, at least for this fishing derby.

Is your intention to vote for Alba for both constituency & list, OR to vote SNP constituency & Alba list?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Floater said:
    In absolute terms fourth, behind the US, Germany and UK.

In per-capita terms, not remotely.

https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/files/covid/covax/COVAX-AMC-Donors-Table.pdf
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:
    Yeah, but if it’s a problem for Nicola, let them go for it. 😆
    The unions know they've got her over a barrel, refuse and she's not "backing the NHS". The losers will be English taxpayers, including NHS workers, who will now have to pay more tax to pay for this bullshit.
    I'm not clear why English Taxpayers have to pay extra for decisions in the Scottish NHS? Does the mechanism work both ways?

If English NHS pay was forced to go up yes, but that will be more like 2% than 4% or 12%.

And I don't see the Scottish NHS being large enough to cause a major collapse in Englsh NHs workforce by cross-recruitment.
    Another halfwitted cretinous numpty who does not understand that Scotland has money , and after England has stolen a good part of it they still have some pocket money left to fund things. English taxpayers will not pay a penny piece of it you dumpling.
    Sure. Let’s convert the Darien bailout to a loan and charge you compound interest on it
    It was a bribe to the aristos. They should be asked to pay it back.
    Carnyx these morons did not learn real history, it was England that was skint and Scotland had a surplus , they bribed the 12 tossers who signed and took all our money and have been doing so ever since.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed
    Malc, as I understand your position, you have gone from SNP > Alba, at least for this fishing derby.

Is your intention to vote for Alba for both constituency & list, OR to vote SNP constituency & Alba list?
    Alba are not standing in constituency
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:
    The unions know they've got her over a barrel, refuse and she's not "backing the NHS". The losers will be English taxpayers, including NHS workers, who will now have to pay more tax to pay for this bullshit.
    I'm not clear why English Taxpayers have to pay extra for decisions in the Scottish NHS? Does the mechanism work both ways?

If English NHS pay was forced to go up yes, but that will be more like 2% than 4% or 12%.

And I don't see the Scottish NHS being large enough to cause a major collapse in Englsh NHs workforce by cross-recruitment.
    Another halfwitted cretinous numpty who does not understand that Scotland has money , and after England has stolen a good part of it they still have some pocket money left to fund things. English taxpayers will not pay a penny piece of it you dumpling.
    Sure. Let’s convert the Darien bailout to a loan and charge you compound interest on it
    Carnyx these morons did not learn real history, it was England that was skint and Scotland had a surplus , they bribed the 12 tossers who signed and took all our money and have been doing so ever since.
    I'm guessing this never happened: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It looks like Brazil could be the first country to test the "extreme worse case scenario" which was bruited all the way back in Feb 2020 - where a nation's health system completely collapses, under Covid, and the deaths rise exponentially (not just from Covid)

Pray God this is wrong

Edit: Covax should be flooding Brazil with any spare vaccines. This is where horrible mutations will happen, if anywhere
  • Options
    alex_ said:

algarkirk said:

If they mean what they say by saying independence can be negotiated and making no reference to the need for a referendum they are indulging in legal fictions. The text gives themselves a tiny get out, which suggests that they want you to believe it while knowing they don't mean it.
    If it really did come to pass that this attempt to game the Scottish electoral system succeeded, but cost the SNP seats, then wouldn't it formalise a split in the Nationalist movement that would be quite difficult to contain? If they did end up with 60+% of the seats in the Scottish Parliament then they would actually likely quickly lose control of the agenda with Alba massively pushing for prioritising Independence above all else (even if they didn't push for some kind of UDI idea).

Pretending that Independence support was significantly in excess of what it actually was is not likely to bring waverers over to the indy side.
    Another halfwit , how is it gaming the system , did you say that when the unionists won 90+ seats. Don't hear anyone on here talking about fact that the TORIES RUN THE COUNTRY WITH A MINORITY VOTE.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,639
    If the silly old goat had got off her Rs and taken up the richer country side of the Covax offer back in Sept 20 when Canada did a good deal fewer of her citizens would be dead.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

You boys never heard of the Darien Scheme?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

• Options

malcolmg said:

Running out of money already
    Only a moron could deduce that , all political parties look for donations during political campaigns. How pathetic can you get.
    Getting to you maybe Malc
    Not at all G , the lying and ignorance on here is breathtaking.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed

Alba are not standing in constituency
    Duh! I thought I knew that!

OK, Malc, so do you think you'll be voting SNP in constituency, OR for another party OR abstaining?

(Over here you could write in "Scrooge McDuck" or other personal option.)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Only a moron could deduce that , all political parties look for donations during political campaigns. How pathetic can you get.
    I rather hesitate to say it but 'it takes one to know one'
  • Options
    alex_ said:

That's the obvious interpretation of the tweet IMO. Quite what relevance a super majority has i don't know. Is there some hitherto buried provision of the Scotland Act that most are unaware of? Just claiming something means something when it doesn't.
    In international law if a majority want to run their own affairs then it is legal , no made up crap by Westminster can hold a country prisoner against their will.
  • Options
    Leon said:

However, it's clearly what the suggestion that the Scottish Government can sue for separation under its own authority implies, since there is no reason to suppose that the UK Government will agree to enter negotiations. No attempt at secession that is made without the consent of Westminster is legal, and it wouldn't survive contact with the Scottish courts. For it to succeed would therefore require a revolution.
  • Options
    Feels like a variant of some kind. Brazil should be permanently on the red list along with any country that has direct flights from Brazil.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

You boys never heard of the Darien Scheme?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

Are you kidding , we also know about the Union Treaty as well.
  • Options
    This is one of the weirdest cultural divides. It is definitely a thing

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1378064872647372806?s=20
  • Options
    edited April 2021

algarkirk said:

If you elect to set aside the assumptions that gave rise to the 2014 referendum, and instead to argue that the Scottish Parliament is the sole representative of the democratically expressed will of the Scottish people, then their approach makes complete sense. The Scottish Parliament is then entitled to vote to secede - moral authority trumping legal authority that has been imposed from Westminster, which under this interpretation has no right to do so - and can begin the process of separation as soon as it has thus voted.

This is the kind of approach that could appeal to the hotter kind of separatist (who may be growing frustrated with Nicola Sturgeon's leadership,) especially if/when the Scottish Parliament votes for another referendum and is turned down flat by the UK Government. How much, or how little, support they will gain from the electorate by apparently trying to out nationalist the SNP remains to be seen. We certainly don't have much evidence as yet to guess at the likely performance of the Alba Party in next month's election; one opinion poll taken a few days after the official launch isn't nearly enough.
    Nice point. I think we are agreed. It's a legal fiction. Scotland could try it on (like Rhodesia). Hot heads will say they will. They won't. (And if per impossibile they did they would be international pariahs not least with Spain and the EU.)

And as the Scots voted to endorse UK rule as recently as 2014 it is all hot air. This is neither Hong Kong nor the Uighurs nor the Kurds.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

Floater said:

Bill & Melinda Gates have donated more than France.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed

Seashanty , they are List only , I have to decide if I can hold my nose and vote for SNP for constituency. I doubt Sturgeon will be around long , either chucked out jailed or got herself the UN/ European type women's saviour job she is desperate for so may be best to make sure they do well also.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315

Age related data

Effect of school holidays here (I can't think of any other explanation) is remarkable. They break up on Friday 26th; cases start to decline significantly from the following Monday, as the drop off in infections feeds through into the numbers.

Kids are evidently the driver in the near-plateauing of cases for most of March - mixing in schools, passing the Plague round, bringing it home to their families. If that's correct then cases will probably continue to drop right through until the weekend of 17/18 April.

It'll be very interesting indeed to see what happens immediately after that. Should cases merely level off again (rather than starting to climb) then it would be reasonable to blame that on the schools, and therefore to conclude that re-opening the shops and beer gardens has had no measurable effect. If so then what's left of physical retail and the hospitality trade, which have of course been shuttered for months because they were claimed to be such a lethal threat, will be absolutely bloody livid. And rightly so, too.
    The flaw in the logic of this post is that the majority of schools only broke up yesterday.

So if there is a link, we should see not so much a decline as a Grand Canyon next week.

Although as nobody will be testing over Easter - despite those loathsome scum at the DfE saying we must because they want us to and they know so much better than people with multiple brain cells - cases should fall anyway.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,688

Age related data

A lot of people haven't used up all their leave this year and will have been off work for the whole of this week.

Next week should be interesting. The kids will not be back yet but there will be fewer people off work (new leave year, waiting for unlockdown).
    Doesn't matter how many cases as it should not change policy now given that with the vaccination programmes there should not be many hospitalised cases or deaths. Death and hospitalisation happen from many things .We have to learn to forget about covid
    No, cases don't matter so much, and to be fair, that is what the government have said.

Incidentally, our local weekly Covid missive talked about how children weren't only spreading it in school but a significant amount of cases were actually acquired in private settings. For example, the council were tracing a large outbreak from a birthday party.

Perhaps this may be happening because the parents decided they were mixing in school anyway, so what difference does it make?
    Lors of children mixing freely at school - they all have immunity.

Children mixing at a birthday party with adults present, and vulnerable adults get infected by one of the pestilent children.

It is a different scenario, innit?
  • Options

Leon said:

However, it's clearly what the suggestion that the Scottish Government can sue for separation under its own authority implies, since there is no reason to suppose that the UK Government will agree to enter negotiations. No attempt at secession that is made without the consent of Westminster is legal, and it wouldn't survive contact with the Scottish courts. For it to succeed would therefore require a revolution.
    Yeah it's mad.

It is also an open invitation to Boris to simply say No - on the grounds of unreasonable demands, apart from anything else - and then that splits the indy cause wide open for years, or a "generation" - between the legal gradualists like Sturgeon and the old-men-in-a-hurry like Salmond who apparently want civil strife.

Does he even want that tho? Or is this all a way, for him, to bring her down and damage her party, and exact his final revenge?

It can be read that second way, quite easily.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Not a good look:

You yourself have spoken about Police Scotland involvement in the allegations about the SNP and Sturgeon hides behind I cannot remember for anything that needs an answer

With regard to your comment, two wrongs do not make a right
    Still you are silent on one , that is hypocrisy
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

algarkirk said:

If it really did come to pass that this attempt to game the Scottish electoral system succeeded, but cost the SNP seats, then wouldn't it formalise a split in the Nationalist movement that would be quite difficult to contain? If they did end up with 60+% of the seats in the Scottish Parliament then they would actually likely quickly lose control of the agenda with Alba massively pushing for prioritising Independence above all else (even if they didn't push for some kind of UDI idea).

Pretending that Independence support was significantly in excess of what it actually was is not likely to bring waverers over to the indy side.
    Another halfwit , how is it gaming the system , did you say that when the unionists won 90+ seats. Don't hear anyone on here talking about fact that the TORIES RUN THE COUNTRY WITH A MINORITY VOTE.
    I don't know, i can't help what i read.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-election-2021-nicola-sturgeon-describes-alex-salmond-as-a-gambler-and-says-she-wants-a-simple-majority-3186423
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I don't expect that to happen because Sturgeon is not that stupid, but were it to occur it would justify Westminster intervention such as took place in Spring 1972 when the Heath Government suspended Stormont. If Holyrood acts in such an irresponsible way, it would merit the same response -ie an effective - albeit temporary - return to the status quo ante pre-Devolution.
    You have to remember that Scotland is split 50/50 on Indy regardless of the result on 6 May. There is no "settled will of the Scottish people" and there is no widespread appetite for an approach that does not go down a Section 30 order from Westminster. It would backfire and deepen divisions even more. Sturgeon, I think, recognises this but it is a chink of weakness which Salmond will exploit if he can as he really doesn't care about anything other than getting satisfaction at her expense.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

I'm guessing this never happened: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme
    Only a number of rich people were involved , they sorted themselves out with English bribes though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The German shoe v sock divide is quite interesting. Also looks as though French & Italian Swiss retain their footwear like their kinfolk over the border, while German Swiss kick off their shoes inside their chalets.
  • Options
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed
    I have been saying for ages the SNP leadership have turned out as bad as the Tories
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Age related data

Lors of children mixing freely at school - they all have immunity.

Children mixing at a birthday party with adults present, and vulnerable adults get infected by one of the pestilent children.

It is a different scenario, innit?
    That’s a joke, I assume?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Is Primitivo just the same as Zinfandel?
  • Options
    Leon said:

It is ignorant bollox as well , fantasy of people who have no clue.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed
    I have been saying for ages the SNP leadership have turned out as bad as the Tories
    But you are going to vote for them in constituency

What was that about hypocrisy
  • Options
    "We're just as bad as the Toreeees" - a new line:

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1378021965672353794?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed
    I think that’s a bit harsh. The Tories have many terrible faults but they don’t currently stand accused of rigging legal proceedings to damage their political enemies.
  • Options

Yes, the original version of it from Puglia.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's mostly the post Roman Empire 'Barbarian West' v the rest. Blame: Theodoric, Charlesmagne, Clovis, Alaric, Lombards and the Byzantine reinvasion of Ravenna.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I know - not sure how you manage to keep it going, to be honest
  • Options

Leon said:

The German shoe v sock divide is quite interesting. Also looks as though French & Italian Swiss retain their footwear like their kinfolk over the border, while German Swiss kick off their shoes inside their chalets.
    In America does anyone take their shoes off? I don't remember it

It might be, I suppose. something to do with wealth. In richer countries, they care less (or cared less) about damaging floor surfaces (whether carpets or woodwork). But then the affluent Swiss and Austrians take shoes off. Perhaps the cultural influence of Islam on the wider east?

But then why is Norway green?

Fascinating but bewildering
  • Options

Floater said:

So has Norway.

In absolute terms......
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    How quickly do we think Scotland can be made to piss off? We might have to go with a five year transition so we can sort Trident I suppose. Shame.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

In international law if a majority want to run their own affairs then it is legal , no made up crap by Westminster can hold a country prisoner against their will.
    Connection with the price of fish?

Do you know what a super majority is? What is the relevance to Scotland's situation (or indeed to your response about a majority)?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    Further cases of a rare blood clotting syndrome including seven deaths have been reported among recipients of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab in the UK.
  • Options

Floater said:

So has Norway.

In absolute terms......
    Technically isn't the UK part of Team Europe? Wasn't some of the EU money UK money?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Further cases of a rare blood clotting syndrome including seven deaths have been reported among recipients of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab in the UK.

And ???
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed

Worth pointing out that Alba will probably prove to be a turkey. Salmond simply repels too many people. It's one of the reasons he is so angry with Sturgeon, but which also, ironically, circumscribes his ability to get even. He risks being humiliated in May which will only increase his rage (unless something occurs to him between now and then, of course...)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed

Worth pointing out that Alba will probably prove to be a turkey. Salmond simply repels too many people. It's one of the reasons he is so angry with Sturgeon, but which also, ironically, circumscribes his ability to get even. He risks being humiliated in May which will only increase his rage (unless something occurs to him between now and then, of course...)
    Agreed
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    IanB2 said:

Care to attach a link to these quotations?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

malcolmg said:

glw said:

Will she be believed?

oh

I am indeed

But he has enough heft, politically, to damage Sturgeon and maybe bring her down. Perhaps that is all he cares about.

Given that he clearly believes she conspired to ruin his life you can see why he feels that way.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It might be, I suppose. something to do with wealth. In richer countries, they care less (or cared less) about damaging floor surfaces (whether carpets or woodwork). But then the affluent Swiss and Austrians take shoes off. Perhaps the cultural influence of Islam on the wider east?

Weather perhaps.

The green areas have harsh winters causing footwear to be muddy or snowy and so removed indoors.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Care to attach a link to these quotations?
    This is the BBC report

BBC News - Covid: 30 blood clot cases found in AstraZeneca recipients in the UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56616119
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    edited April 2021

Yes indeed, this was proven by genetic testing in 1994. Primitivo (so named because it is first to ripen) was imported to the US by a Long Island horticulturalist in the 1820s. Both grapes are, it is believed, originally derived from Crljenak Kaštelanski from Croatia. Red Zinfandel provided strong cheap plonk for the Californian gold rush diggers, but during prohibition it became almost forgotten. In the 1970s a producer's fermentation went wrong, and he was about to dispose of the wine when he tasted it and thought that the sweet pink wine he found himself with might sell, and hence White Zinfandel (mostly sickly plonk) was born, and proved as popular in the US during the 1970s as did Mateus Rose in Europe. Red Zinfandel has only been made seriously in any quantity since the 1990s, and its popularity has, ironically, fed back to Italy and prompted a Primitivo revival this century. There are some good examples from Puglia and Sicily. It's strong stuff.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1378046567815507977

open up the picture so you can see the last reply :smiley:
  • Options
    Hypothetical: if Alba take enough votes off the SNP, and cause enough pain to Sturgeon, to deprive the Nats of a majority - even if Alba don't prosper - does that mean Sturgeon has to go?

I think it does. She is too tarnished, now.

So, Salmond quite likely gets what he wants, whatever. Either Alba do brilliantly, and he becomes a kingmaker (asking for Sturgeon's head) or they languish, but he still gets to take painful lumps out of Sturgeon and the Nats: also a result (for him).

What I don't understand is why Sturgeon still goads him, alluding to his "guilt".

Perhaps she just can't help it, she hates him so much
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is this map accurate ? I always take my shoes off visiting anyone
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Keir/Kier Starmer would make a pleasant neighbour. He’d bring his wheelie bin in the very day it’s emptied. He’d smile and say hello if we crossed paths on our morning rounds. I doubt he’d annoy me with gangster rap at 3am or throw used jonnies in my garden, as previous neighbours have done.

But he’s not leader of the neighbourhood watch material. And not that I assume to speak for her, but I don’t imagine my wife getting weak at the knees if she saw him jogging up the hill either. In short, he’s stuffed. Next!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

About 1 in 600,000 recipients had these rare clotting events, and fewer than 1 in 2,500,000 died. Not at all clear how many, or few (if any) of these cases were actually to do with the vaccine, or would've happened anyway. Well worth the minuscule theoretical risk of having it as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Weather perhaps.

The green areas have harsh winters causing footwear to be muddy or snowy and so removed indoors.
    Ireland is not exactly known for being un-muddy
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I was thinking about this. I think I do if there’s shoes at the door and my hosts have no shoes on, or if I have crap on them. One or other thing is usually true, so I almost always take my shoes off.

Also I hate wearing shoes indoors.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    ydoethur said:

Age related data

The flaw in the logic of this post is that the majority of schools only broke up yesterday.

So if there is a link, we should see not so much a decline as a Grand Canyon next week.

Although as nobody will be testing over Easter - despite those loathsome scum at the DfE saying we must because they want us to and they know so much better than people with multiple brain cells - cases should fall anyway.
    I was wonder about this as our kids were still traipsing in on Thursday too. It may be that lots of testing and resulting isolation might actually work...
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Floater said:

Not 'donated' but 'invested'. US 'foundations' aren't really the same as UK charitable foundations. His personal wealth has doubled since 2010 by investing in vaccine producers and related companies.

Some mistaken people think that after he left Microsoft he gave away most of his $$$ to good causes. Ha ha.

Watch the Corbett Report on Gates. About 4 x 30 min episodes on Youtube.
  • Options
    Damn imagine less than 30 deaths a day by the end of April

https://twitter.com/goalprojection/status/1378071938002776064
  • Options

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I was thinking about this. I think I do if there’s shoes at the door and my hosts have no shoes on, or if I have crap on them. One or other thing is usually true, so I almost always take my shoes off.

A few years ago I briefly had a Serbian girlfriend. She was absolutely perplexed by the fact the British did not take their shoes off indoors. Could not understand it
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

A few years ago I briefly had a Serbian girlfriend. She was absolutely perplexed by the fact the British did not take their shoes off indoors. Could not understand it
    Can't be doing with shoes indoors. It's like wearing socks during sex
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

She was right. It’s a bizarre blind spot of manners in the British that they think it’s ok to wear their shoes in their own houses, let alone other people’s.

The only Serbian girl I have known well, used to reserve the top section of her freezer for ganja to keep it very fresh, which I used to think was very sophisticated.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,761
    Just looked at the news. Why are they making such a fuss about one person driving a car into a barrier?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Basic common courtesy. Or at a minimum to ask.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,062
    Andy_JS said:

Just looked at the news. Why are they making such a fuss about one person driving a car into a barrier?

He drove into 2 policemen, one of whom is dead
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I have hard floors everywhere downstairs to avoid the faff on of guests having to awkwardly take their shoes off in the door way.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

If that trend continues it could be a lot less.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,761
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Can't be doing with shoes indoors. It's like wearing socks during sex
    Perhaps it is sexual. Shoes and boots say "I am a man", socks and slippers say "I might be gay". Shoes and boots make noise, but you don't care. It's your house!

Enoch Powell once said: "a gentleman should never be photographed with his boots off"

There is, then, an element of machismo about it, and I wonder if that is an aspect of the divide. The Green shoe-wearing countries are more successful, imperialistic and macho, Britain, Spain, France, Italy, Holland, Greece. The pathetic red shoe-taking-off weirdoes are all effete conquered nations (often conquered by Islam) - Bosnia, Serbia, Poland, East Germany
This discussion has been closed.