Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A year on for Starmer and he has yet been able to shake the hands of a single voter – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

This is one of the weirdest cultural divides. It is definitely a thing

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1378064872647372806?s=20

Is this map accurate ? I always take my shoes off visiting anyone
    Basic common courtesy. Or at a minimum to ask.
    Probably less of an issue when there's no carpets though - maybe that is the hidden divide? Also influenced by whether you're intending to spend most of the visit in the garden.
  • Options

Damn imagine less than 30 deaths a day by the end of April

https://twitter.com/goalprojection/status/1378071938002776064

You have to wonder if deaths can ever go much lower than that. There must be at least some people who get COVID and then get run over by the proverbial bus within the 28 days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    Yep - if someone says to keep them on I will but default is shoes off for me
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I was thinking about this. I think I do if there’s shoes at the door and my hosts have no shoes on, or if I have crap on them. One or other thing is usually true, so I almost always take my shoes off.

Also I hate wearing shoes indoors.
    A few years ago I briefly had a Serbian girlfriend. She was absolutely perplexed by the fact the British did not take their shoes off indoors. Could not understand it
    I am Slobodan Milošević and you may claim your five pounds.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,768
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I was thinking about this. I think I do if there’s shoes at the door and my hosts have no shoes on, or if I have crap on them. One or other thing is usually true, so I almost always take my shoes off.

Also I hate wearing shoes indoors.
    A few years ago I briefly had a Serbian girlfriend. She was absolutely perplexed by the fact the British did not take their shoes off indoors. Could not understand it
    Can't be doing with shoes indoors. It's like wearing socks during sex
    At my grandma's house I always used to offer to take my shoes off when I went upstairs into the bedrooms and bathroom. She insisted I keep them on, unless they were very muddy. Not sure I would give the same advice on that subject.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2021

Cardiff:

twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1378045954868264961?s=20

There'll be fighting in the streets of Cardiff tonight....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,371
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    Presumably that’ll be the ‘aliens are here’ broadcast I keep hearing about.
  • Options

One thing that would be good, in many ways, is if there begins (continues?) to be a serious disconnect between case numbers and deaths (eg. case numbers stabilise at a relatively high level, but deaths continue to fall significantly). It would cause serious issues for scientists/politicians attempting to maintain restrictions on everyday life on the basis of fear of rising case numbers alone (under the case number -> hospitalisations -> deaths mantra that they are following - which was entirely justified in an unvaccinated society, but should be under serious question now)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    It's basic hygiene - heck in Japanese hotels they even have different coloured slippers for wearing in the bathroom...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,876
    edited April 2021
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Basic common courtesy. Or at a minimum to ask.
    If someone doesn't take their shoes off in their own house it's not courtesy for a visitor to do so unprompted, it would be a lack of courtesy (maybe they don't want people walking about in their socks). And if the owner doesn't remove theirs, why even ask?
  • Options
    Tories don’t care about racism? Call me shocked.

We all know many of the Tories here only use it as stick to score political points
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    moonshine said:

Keir/Kier Starmer would make a pleasant neighbour. He’d bring his wheelie bin in the very day it’s emptied. He’d smile and say hello if we crossed paths on our morning rounds. I doubt he’d annoy me with gangster rap at 3am or throw used jonnies in my garden, as previous neighbours have done.

But he’s not leader of the neighbourhood watch material. And not that I assume to speak for her, but I don’t imagine my wife getting weak at the knees if she saw him jogging up the hill either. In short, he’s stuffed. Next!

Well, it's always good to read such serious, informed, impartial and expert analysis.

Back in the real world, there's what I think and what I think is going on. From a personal perspective (and I would consider myself centre-left in outlook), Starmer has made a decent start. Cleaning the Augean stables of post-Corbyn Labour is and was never going to be easy and it's still very much a work in progress. How it will work in 2024 is hard to know and as Starmer extends his personal influence and control over policy, we'll see what kind of programme Labour puts forward.

The data so persistently put up by @isam tells a story - it doesn't tell the story. These have been unprecedented times and until now it's been easy to counter criticism of the Government and its actions. To paraphrase the American quiz show Jeopardy if the answer is "Labour would have done exactly the same" you can probably work out the question. I struggle to know what Starmer would have done differently had he been Prime Minister - he'd have hidden behind the "science" as adroitly as Johnson and would no doubt have dolled out the cash as enthusiastically as Sunak.

Only now are we starting to see some flickers of deviation from the general "let's get behind the Government" meme. The crisis is easing and normal service is returning and, to be fair, those speculating on the divide between authoritarian and liberal as the new political divide were doing so pre-Covid as well.

I've never voted Labour because they are an authoritarian, centralising party which believes any problem can be solved by enough State and Government (as you can see, I see Starmer and Johnson as two cheeks of the same posterior in that regard). In essence, therefore, why do we need a Labour Government when we already have one?

To be fair, that's just my serious, informed, partial and inexpert analysis but there you go...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,572
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Hypothetical: if Alba take enough votes off the SNP, and cause enough pain to Sturgeon, to deprive the Nats of a majority - even if Alba don't prosper - does that mean Sturgeon has to go?

I think it does. She is too tarnished, now.

So, Salmond quite likely gets what he wants, whatever. Either Alba do brilliantly, and he becomes a kingmaker (asking for Sturgeon's head) or they languish, but he still gets to take painful lumps out of Sturgeon and the Nats: also a result (for him).

What I don't understand is why Sturgeon still goads him, alluding to his "guilt".

Perhaps she just can't help it, she hates him so much

Salmond went after losing in 2014. Cameron went after losing in 2016. Sturgeon would almost certainly leave if she lost a Ref2. She is a great and pragmatic politician. So I put in on the side of the argument against there being a Ref2. It suits Sturgeon and Boris not to.

Ever so slightly Boris and Sturgeon need each other locked in a battle without a medium term conclusion. It keeps Boris in, Sturgeon in, Labour out and Salmond out. It could all be much worse for us on either side of the England Scotland border - God's own country, open border, peace, every MP a Tory, malcomg very cross....what could be better?

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

At the current rate of decline (which, whilst fluctuating a little, has effectively been maintained for many weeks) we have a fighting chance of being down into single figures, in terms of Covid deaths confirmed by testing, in several days of each week by the end of the month. We could have our first single figure day since last September as soon as next weekend.

You don't need a model for that, it's simple maths. The total for the last seven days is 302. If that drops by a third a week for four weeks you get down to 57, or an average of about eight per day.

The total rolling seven day rate of decline in deaths is 38.2% and has exceeded 40% in recent days, so this is eminently achievable.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The German shoe v sock divide is quite interesting. Also looks as though French & Italian Swiss retain their footwear like their kinfolk over the border, while German Swiss kick off their shoes inside their chalets.
    In America does anyone take their shoes off? I don't remember it

It might be, I suppose. something to do with wealth. In richer countries, they care less (or cared less) about damaging floor surfaces (whether carpets or woodwork). But then the affluent Swiss and Austrians take shoes off. Perhaps the cultural influence of Islam on the wider east?

But then why is Norway green?

Fascinating but bewildering
    Weather perhaps.

The green areas have harsh winters causing footwear to be muddy or snowy and so removed indoors.
    Ireland is not exactly known for being un-muddy
    Sure but I doubt it gets mud like Eastern Europe does.

BTW I can confirm that outer suburbia continues in its blossomy beauty and that wearing a coat really is no hardship.

Unless that is you're turning eloi :wink:
  • Options
    He won't be addressing me.

One way I enjoy disregarding Government authoritarianism is paying scant regard to their hectoring.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1378055338587529219

Bet we hear crickets from the usual suspects
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984

Do we know who this Tory MP is? The fact they aren't named in the report suggest they are a nobody (i.e.. "Senior Tory").
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Hypothetical: if Alba take enough votes off the SNP, and cause enough pain to Sturgeon, to deprive the Nats of a majority - even if Alba don't prosper - does that mean Sturgeon has to go?

I think it does. She is too tarnished, now.

So, Salmond quite likely gets what he wants, whatever. Either Alba do brilliantly, and he becomes a kingmaker (asking for Sturgeon's head) or they languish, but he still gets to take painful lumps out of Sturgeon and the Nats: also a result (for him).

What I don't understand is why Sturgeon still goads him, alluding to his "guilt".

Perhaps she just can't help it, she hates him so much

Salmond went after losing in 2014. Cameron went after losing in 2016. Sturgeon would almost certainly leave if she lost a Ref2. She is a great and pragmatic politician. So I put in on the side of the argument against there being a Ref2. It suits Sturgeon and Boris not to.

Ever so slightly Boris and Sturgeon need each other locked in a battle without a medium term conclusion. It keeps Boris in, Sturgeon in, Labour out and Salmond out. It could all be much worse for us on either side of the England Scotland border - God's own country, open border, peace, every MP a Tory.

Not a bad analysis, but you miss my point

If Sturgeon doesn't get a majority and she doesn't do something very dramatic on indy anyway, then she is toast. What is the point of her? Her record as FM (Covid aside) doesn't bear much scrutiny, and the whiff of corruption is now STRONG
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,898
    edited April 2021

I have hard floors everywhere downstairs to avoid the faff on of guests having to awkwardly take their shoes off in the door way.

Perhaps its a thing where you don't want to appear too much 'at home' in someone else's abode by kicking off your shoes? Dunno.

I always do take them off when visiting unless the host says otherwise. And I have hard floors, but grit from outside ruins them more than it does a carpet, so always prefer people to be sock clad.
  • Options
    Could be to do with travel - wasn't the review on sunshine holidays meant to have been brought forward a week from the 12th?
  • Options

At the current rate of decline (which, whilst fluctuating a little, has effectively been maintained for many weeks) we have a fighting chance of being down into single figures, in terms of Covid deaths confirmed by testing, in several days of each week by the end of the month. We could have our first single figure day since last September as soon as next weekend.

You don't need a model for that, it's simple maths. The total for the last seven days is 302. If that drops by a third a week for four weeks you get down to 57, or an average of about eight per day.

The total rolling seven day rate of decline in deaths is 38.2% and has exceeded 40% in recent days, so this is eminently achievable.
    Are there statistics which show when the "28 day proxy" completely breaks down - and just picks up almost exclusively deaths that would have happened anyway?
  • Options

Far from crickets, I approve. Every school should do this
  • Options
    Leon said:

That map looks very much like the old EEC in the late 1980s.

Only thing wrong is Denmark.
  • Options
    Carpets in bathrooms. Discuss.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502

while the data fro the last few days is not complete, the trends are clear.

Unless something happens, we will be on a lot less than 30 deaths per day by the end of the month

• Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Google to recall all staff to in office work with only a maximum of 14 defined WFH days allowed per year or as agreed by management.

So dies the dream of lockdown fanatics that companies will shift to a new working pattern. The rest of the tech industry will follow Google's lead and where tech goes, banking will also follow and one by one all of the other industries will fall in line.

Rishi was right all the way back in May of last year when he said remote workers and majority WFH types would find their careers curtailed.

In other news we've got the full result of our office survey back. As part of the London office culture committee (a fancy way of saying I help organise ensuring there is enough money to restock the beer fridges on Friday) I'm tasked with ensuring people are happy to come back. It's been easy. The main issues people have are that they won't come back if there is mask wearing required in office or social distancing required. We've pushed our reopening schedule back to August so we can be sure that neither of these are required.

Not a single person took issue with sharing vaccine status to ensure we can operate a full capacity office and we're expecting around 90% of people to return to in office working for 4 or 5 days per week. That number is much higher than we expected. We've also essentially said no to permanent remote working, only two people have had it approved and both have got long term family situations and they've been granted it on compassionate grounds. We're also not allowing any overseas remote working due to data concerns.

This is a predominantly under 50s office in Liverpool Street and we're a Japanese company so there is definitely some level of pushback against homeworking from senior management in Tokyo.

I get the sense a lot of people are now craving city life. Lockdown has gone on so long the charms of country walks and lavish gardens are starting to pall. It’s just a walk. It’s just a garden. It’s not a life.
    Yep. In 12 months they will be returning in droves: all those Good Life people who thought they could hack it through an English winter under the pall of death-grey skies, incessant rain and mud, non-existent social life, far distant amenities: all combined with extremely pissy locals.

You'll be able to stand on a bridge over the A303 and watch them all limping back to the cities.

Then we'll have to endure a couple of years of the same Metropolitan twats writing about their experiences in the Saturday and Sunday newspapers.

Meanwhile, er, Leon, Thailand has just announced it's re-opening to the vaccinated international traveller on 01st October for six destinations providing direct entry (except Pattaya in which case you can go via BKK): Phuket, Krabi, Phangnga, Koh Samui, Chonburi (Pattaya), and Chiang Mai.
    Yes, the first lockdown and then the summer were unreal. Perfect weather, for much of it. Everything was novel. It was so much better to be in the glorious countryside compared to eerie, locked down London. And even when we had some unlockdowning, london remained largely shut. No theatres. No cinemas. No clubs. Pubs demanding bookings. Yawn.

Then came lockdowns 2 and 3 and a long cold English winter. Gardens almost useless. Lonely freezing walks in fields. Hmm.

Friends of mine who moved out permanently last year are already sounding very nostalgic about bars and restaurants and urban life....
    There's a huge variety of possibilities between ultra urban and ultra rural.

Outer suburbia is perhaps the best place in the spring - the bulbs and blossom of sizeable gardens plus the countryside within a short walk.
    Depends on the spring. It’s quite sunny here in London today. But cold. 10C. Very different to last April. And it’s meant to get even colder next week. 7C maxima. That’s bloody winter again.

I’m so bored of cold walks in parks (or fields or beaches or anywhere)

I want my city back. And I want holidays in hot sun. Enough
    the end of March/start of April last year were not too dissimilar to where we are now.

accuweather.com/en/gb/birmingham/b5-5/april-weather/326966?year=2020

• Options
    I presume his full name is Charles Tyrwhitt-Sythme....

https://twitter.com/ConorGogarty/status/1377014923537092611?s=20
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    And Cameron's personal rating lows were vs Brown not Blair.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,317
    edited April 2021

ydoethur said:

Age related data

Effect of school holidays here (I can't think of any other explanation) is remarkable. They break up on Friday 26th; cases start to decline significantly from the following Monday, as the drop off in infections feeds through into the numbers.

Kids are evidently the driver in the near-plateauing of cases for most of March - mixing in schools, passing the Plague round, bringing it home to their families. If that's correct then cases will probably continue to drop right through until the weekend of 17/18 April.

It'll be very interesting indeed to see what happens immediately after that. Should cases merely level off again (rather than starting to climb) then it would be reasonable to blame that on the schools, and therefore to conclude that re-opening the shops and beer gardens has had no measurable effect. If so then what's left of physical retail and the hospitality trade, which have of course been shuttered for months because they were claimed to be such a lethal threat, will be absolutely bloody livid. And rightly so, too.
    The flaw in the logic of this post is that the majority of schools only broke up yesterday.

So if there is a link, we should see not so much a decline as a Grand Canyon next week.

Although as nobody will be testing over Easter - despite those loathsome scum at the DfE saying we must because they want us to and they know so much better than people with multiple brain cells - cases should fall anyway.
    I was wonder about this as our kids were still traipsing in on Thursday too. It may be that lots of testing and resulting isolation might actually work...
    Again - although this is purely anecdotal - testing doesn’t seem to have turned up many genuine cases.

What seems to have happened is that secondary schoolchildren have gone from one of the highest rates of infection in December to one of the lowest now.

And of course, having only been in school for 2-3 weeks since the reopening in the week beginning March 15th, there hasn’t been much time for cross infection before we effectively lock down again.

It’s almost as though keeping lots of people in cramped unventilated rooms for hours on end and then limiting the number of people isolating when positive cases were found was a really dumb idea, while encouraging teenagers to sit at home working all day and therefore only meeting other people for brief periods outdoors was effective at stopping the spread among that age group.

Really strange, that.

And yet the likes of Woolhouse, Wotzerface who does press conferences and every civil servant continue to claim there is no evidence of a link.

It’s almost as though they’re deliberately not telling the truth.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358

What's wrong with the Union Jack?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nobody thinks anything of this in the US.
  • Options

You have to wonder if deaths can ever go much lower than that. There must be at least some people who get COVID and then get run over by the proverbial bus within the 28 days.
    The rolling average of Covid deaths fell below ten per day for most of last August, and that's obviously before anyone was vaccinated. It's realistic to imagine that a product of widespread vaccination and a large fraction of the restrictions still being in place until at least 17 May could mean that this metric will be driven even lower in the relatively near future.
  • Options
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    Politico.com - MLB moves All-Star Game from Georgia over new voting law
    "Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box,” MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred wrote.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/02/mlb-all-star-game-georgia-478960
  • Options

Leon said:

Yes. Denmark! Every time I think I have worked it out, there is some anomaly which disproves my over-arching theory.

I do believe male self-image is an element. Conquering soldiers wear BOOTS. Taking off your shoes is a faint emasculation

I am reminded of the Duchess of Marlborough's famous and maybe apocryphal diary entry, referencing her warlike husband:

"His Grace Returned From the Wars This Morning, and Pleasured Me Twice in His Top-Boots"

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Andy_JS said:

Nooo
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    It's basic hygiene - heck in Japanese hotels they even have different coloured slippers for wearing in the bathroom...
    Many things are functions of "how we have done things since the year dot" rather than sensible.

I remember selling a flat - and finding buyers startled that the washing machine and dryer were stacked in a cupboard next to the bathroom, rather than in the kitchen. Yet who, with a clean sheet design, would put the washing machine where you prepare food?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    On 11th April, two vaccinated people will be prevented from meeting in a private home.

On 12th April 200 people will be able to cram into a small pub if they can all show a vaccine passport.

Of course, on Monday so as usual major announcements aren't made to Parliament first.
  • Options
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    No, it's basic hygiene (hint: it's normal in warmer climes).
  • Options
    Maybe you are jumping to conclusions. It could be no holidays, no passports, no more social distancing and an end to lockdown...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited April 2021
    No, Boris. Though it's easy to get them confused once they both got into the habit of rising from the dead at Easter...
  • Options
    His big day was Easter Sunday, not Easter Monday.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    But the map shows it's a cold climate thing.
    I'm with Leon here - shoes on by default. I also disapprove of slippers.
  • Options

No, Boris. Though it's easy to get them confused once they both got into the habit of rising from the dead at Easter...
    He’s not dead yet.

Although, now you mention it...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Nooo
    Definite no. Yuk
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    A grown man in slippers is a shameful sight
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Could be to do with travel - wasn't the review on sunshine holidays meant to have been brought forward a week from the 12th?
    If he delays the reopening schedule I think he may as well throw the next election away. Every single person I know has got stuff happening in that first week.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes. Denmark! Every time I think I have worked it out, there is some anomaly which disproves my over-arching theory.

I do believe male self-image is an element. Conquering soldiers wear BOOTS. Taking off your shoes is a faint emasculation

I am reminded of the Duchess of Marlborough's famous and maybe apocryphal diary entry, referencing her warlike husband:

"His Grace Returned From the Wars This Morning, and Pleasured Me Twice in His Top-Boots"

All the red countries have had an empire at some time.

While the green countries were more used to being invaded.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If he delays the reopening schedule I think he may as well throw the next election away. Every single person I know has got stuff happening in that first week.
    That would have been leaked already. The fact there is no news suggest nothing has changed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That’s the first really good argument I’ve heard for extending lockdown in the last month.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    MaxPB said:

Surely he wont? Everything is moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

Do we know who this Tory MP is? The fact they aren't named in the report suggest they are a nobody (i.e.. "Senior Tory").
    Did schools in 1930s Germany have to fly the swastika?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Russia says hello.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

I'm not sure why you are asking. Is that a reason the flag shouldn't be flown in various places?

Come to think of it, how often was Hitler seen with a swastika when giving interviews?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Apparently the English upper classes used to pride themselves on having only one bath a year. Can't remember which century it was.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

That would have been leaked already. The fact there is no news suggest nothing has changed.
    There was also a promise, IIRC, to give an official announcement a week before each each of the dates in the unlocking schedule, so that business could plan on the basis of an official go/no go.

So Monday would be the go/no go announcement for the 12th
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

Interesting that the model predicted more than a halving in deaths in the last 12 days but the less than a halving in the next 28.

Are we getting into the age groups who die less anyway, so the vaccination benefit on deaths is less because it is already baked in?

In which case, ought we now to be coming into the period during which we see the steepest decline in hospitalisations?
  • Options

The rolling average of Covid deaths fell below ten per day for most of last August, and that's obviously before anyone was vaccinated. It's realistic to imagine that a product of widespread vaccination and a large fraction of the restrictions still being in place until at least 17 May could mean that this metric will be driven even lower in the relatively near future.
    But we were testing far fewer people then.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

There was also a promise, IIRC, to give an official announcement a week before each each of the dates in the unlocking schedule, so that business could plan on the basis of an official go/no go.

Yeah, but it would have leaked by now if it was going to change.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I don't trust him at all or anyone in the government. Gove particularly seems to be completely captured by the lockdown ultras. Hancock too. They both need to be dumped from the Cabinet asap.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    What on earth are you trying to protect your feet from indoors? Random avalanches of ornaments falling out of your dresser?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah, but it would have leaked by now if it was going to change.
    Quite probably.

I was just surprised that people were surprised that there would be an announcement on Monday, since I understood that the government had said they were going to make official "go/no goes" a week before each step.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

I think they did, as pretty much everyone had to if they didn’t want the SA to pay them unwelcome attention.

But the main act of Nazi propaganda in schools was a large photo of Hitler in every classroom to which children would give a Nazi salute at the start of the day.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Russia says hello.
    Russia aside, however, all the shoe-wearing-indoors countries are the alpha European countries, the traditional conquerors and cultural exporters: Greece, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, UK, and all the others are generally the ones who got beaten up

Meanwhile Germany is brilliantly divided, befitting its peculiarly troubled history of aggression

Amazingly, this weird cultural divide might indeed be related to martial male self-image

• Options
    Cookie said:

How does testing effect deaths?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Russia? Turkey?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Cookie said:

How does testing effect deaths?
    By making people choke on their own vomit?*

Or did you mean ‘affect?’

*Yes, they do cause me to throw up. They’re horrible.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Apparently the English upper classes used to pride themselves on having only one bath a year. Can't remember which century it was.

I've read that Henry VIII only ever had two baths - the first to wash him after his birth and the second to wash him after his death.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

And Cameron's personal rating lows were vs Brown not Blair.

As were his highs.

The moment the public saw Cameron vs Brown, he went from zero to hero

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Google to recall all staff to in office work with only a maximum of 14 defined WFH days allowed per year or as agreed by management.

So dies the dream of lockdown fanatics that companies will shift to a new working pattern. The rest of the tech industry will follow Google's lead and where tech goes, banking will also follow and one by one all of the other industries will fall in line.

Rishi was right all the way back in May of last year when he said remote workers and majority WFH types would find their careers curtailed.

In other news we've got the full result of our office survey back. As part of the London office culture committee (a fancy way of saying I help organise ensuring there is enough money to restock the beer fridges on Friday) I'm tasked with ensuring people are happy to come back. It's been easy. The main issues people have are that they won't come back if there is mask wearing required in office or social distancing required. We've pushed our reopening schedule back to August so we can be sure that neither of these are required.

Not a single person took issue with sharing vaccine status to ensure we can operate a full capacity office and we're expecting around 90% of people to return to in office working for 4 or 5 days per week. That number is much higher than we expected. We've also essentially said no to permanent remote working, only two people have had it approved and both have got long term family situations and they've been granted it on compassionate grounds. We're also not allowing any overseas remote working due to data concerns.

This is a predominantly under 50s office in Liverpool Street and we're a Japanese company so there is definitely some level of pushback against homeworking from senior management in Tokyo.

I get the sense a lot of people are now craving city life. Lockdown has gone on so long the charms of country walks and lavish gardens are starting to pall. It’s just a walk. It’s just a garden. It’s not a life.
    Yep. In 12 months they will be returning in droves: all those Good Life people who thought they could hack it through an English winter under the pall of death-grey skies, incessant rain and mud, non-existent social life, far distant amenities: all combined with extremely pissy locals.

You'll be able to stand on a bridge over the A303 and watch them all limping back to the cities.

Then we'll have to endure a couple of years of the same Metropolitan twats writing about their experiences in the Saturday and Sunday newspapers.

Meanwhile, er, Leon, Thailand has just announced it's re-opening to the vaccinated international traveller on 01st October for six destinations providing direct entry (except Pattaya in which case you can go via BKK): Phuket, Krabi, Phangnga, Koh Samui, Chonburi (Pattaya), and Chiang Mai.
    Yes, the first lockdown and then the summer were unreal. Perfect weather, for much of it. Everything was novel. It was so much better to be in the glorious countryside compared to eerie, locked down London. And even when we had some unlockdowning, london remained largely shut. No theatres. No cinemas. No clubs. Pubs demanding bookings. Yawn.

Then came lockdowns 2 and 3 and a long cold English winter. Gardens almost useless. Lonely freezing walks in fields. Hmm.

Friends of mine who moved out permanently last year are already sounding very nostalgic about bars and restaurants and urban life....
    There's a huge variety of possibilities between ultra urban and ultra rural.

Outer suburbia is perhaps the best place in the spring - the bulbs and blossom of sizeable gardens plus the countryside within a short walk.
    Depends on the spring. It’s quite sunny here in London today. But cold. 10C. Very different to last April. And it’s meant to get even colder next week. 7C maxima. That’s bloody winter again.

I’m so bored of cold walks in parks (or fields or beaches or anywhere)

I want my city back. And I want holidays in hot sun. Enough
    the end of March/start of April last year were not too dissimilar to where we are now.

accuweather.com/en/gb/birmingham/b5-5/april-weather/326966?year=2020

In favour of first lockdown, facemasks weren't required back then.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Really?
    It is effeminate. Sorry
    What on earth are you trying to protect your feet from indoors? Random avalanches of ornaments falling out of your dresser?
    Real men wear workshop boots. Real steel toecaps.....

Since I haven't been to the workshop recently, I've taken to using them while playing with the free weights....
  • Options
    Of course it isn't just the American's that fly their flag in schools....

French and European flags to fly in classrooms of schools in France

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190213/french-classrooms-to-fly-national-and-europe-flags-from-now-on/

---

Chancellor Angela Merkel's party will vote on whether all schools in Germany should fly the national flag outside their buildings, alongside the flag of the appropriate state and that of the European Union, following an initiative launched by one regional organization of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU).

https://www.dw.com/en/flags-outside-schools-patriotic-or-populist/a-51349417
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    RobD said:
    Just because it is Easter. Why people continually try to bring religion into a perfectly good bunny-friendly chocolate-eating family holiday, I do not know.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,483

Better late than never I suppose.....

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1378058433203744771?s=20

"Leading COVAX donors"

After:
    USA: 2.5bn
    DE: 1.1bn
    UK: 0.7bn
    EU: 0.5bn

https://www.gavi.org/sites/default/files/covid/covax/COVAX-AMC-Donors-Table.pdf

In this instance though, the EU can only donate what the member states give them to donate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Russia says hello.
    I think Russia has been invaded a few times.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    @Floater it isn't looking too good in Ukraine right now, is it?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

Of course it isn't just the American's that fly their flag in schools....

French and European flags to fly in classrooms of schools in France

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190213/french-classrooms-to-fly-national-and-europe-flags-from-now-on/

---

Chancellor Angela Merkel's party will vote on whether all schools in Germany should fly the national flag outside their buildings, alongside the flag of the appropriate state and that of the European Union, following an initiative launched by one regional organization of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU).

https://www.dw.com/en/flags-outside-schools-patriotic-or-populist/a-51349417

I thought we left the EU so we didn't have to follow France and Germany's every lead.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don't trust him at all or anyone in the government. Gove particularly seems to be completely captured by the lockdown ultras. Hancock too. They both need to be dumped from the Cabinet asap.
    I don't trust those two either, but then again I don't trust *any* of them. Far, far too keen on the whole "papers please" bullshit.

However, even allowing for that I very much doubt that there'll be heel dragging with respect to April 12th. The direction of all the data at the moment looks so good that I'd made the assumption in my previous remarks that it would be happening on time; I'd quite forgotten that an announcement a week in advance, to let people get ready for it, would in fact be necessary. It's part of the stated rationale for the five week baby steps: open the prison gates a smidge, wait an entire months for any sign of the Plague taking off, announce next stage of opening if all has gone well, one additional week for businesses to get ready.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,990

Leon said:

Nobody thinks anything of this in the US.
    Nor indeed in Canada where flags are much less ubiquitous.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Russia? Turkey?
    I bet Russians and Turks didn't take off their shoes when they were the conquerors.
  • Options

I presume his full name is Charles Tyrwhitt-Sythme....

https://twitter.com/ConorGogarty/status/1377014923537092611?s=20

Just looking at the little herbert I can tell it's what water cannons were invented for.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I've read that Henry VIII only ever had two baths - the first to wash him after his birth and the second to wash him after his death.
    Others will correct me I’m sure, but there is a misconception about hygiene in the Middle Ages. People rarely took baths, as in immersing in water in the modern fashion. They did however wash, using cloths and water. The idea that everyone was dirty is nonsense.
  • Options
    Seven people have died from unusual blood clots after getting the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, the medicines regulator has confirmed to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56620646
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Andy_JS said:

Discuss-ting
  • Options

"Leading COVAX donors"

After:

In this instance though, the EU can only donate what the member states give them to donate.
    No, they can borrow for this stuff and pay the borrowing costs out of the future budget.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 790

Agreed, I expect the rolling average deaths to be in single figures by the end of the month.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    stodge said:

moonshine said:

Keir/Kier Starmer would make a pleasant neighbour. He’d bring his wheelie bin in the very day it’s emptied. He’d smile and say hello if we crossed paths on our morning rounds. I doubt he’d annoy me with gangster rap at 3am or throw used jonnies in my garden, as previous neighbours have done.

But he’s not leader of the neighbourhood watch material. And not that I assume to speak for her, but I don’t imagine my wife getting weak at the knees if she saw him jogging up the hill either. In short, he’s stuffed. Next!

Well, it's always good to read such serious, informed, impartial and expert analysis.

Back in the real world, there's what I think and what I think is going on. From a personal perspective (and I would consider myself centre-left in outlook), Starmer has made a decent start. Cleaning the Augean stables of post-Corbyn Labour is and was never going to be easy and it's still very much a work in progress. How it will work in 2024 is hard to know and as Starmer extends his personal influence and control over policy, we'll see what kind of programme Labour puts forward.

The data so persistently put up by @isam tells a story - it doesn't tell the story. These have been unprecedented times and until now it's been easy to counter criticism of the Government and its actions. To paraphrase the American quiz show Jeopardy if the answer is "Labour would have done exactly the same" you can probably work out the question. I struggle to know what Starmer would have done differently had he been Prime Minister - he'd have hidden behind the "science" as adroitly as Johnson and would no doubt have dolled out the cash as enthusiastically as Sunak.

Only now are we starting to see some flickers of deviation from the general "let's get behind the Government" meme. The crisis is easing and normal service is returning and, to be fair, those speculating on the divide between authoritarian and liberal as the new political divide were doing so pre-Covid as well.

I've never voted Labour because they are an authoritarian, centralising party which believes any problem can be solved by enough State and Government (as you can see, I see Starmer and Johnson as two cheeks of the same posterior in that regard). In essence, therefore, why do we need a Labour Government when we already have one?

To be fair, that's just my serious, informed, partial and inexpert analysis but there you go...
    I am 47 in December and in my lifetime only 3 LOTOs have become PM - Maggie, Blair and Cameron. It is a very rare occurrence. Those three all had something about them that Foot, Kinnock, Hague, IDS, Howard, Miliband, & Corbyn didn’t. I happen to think Sir Keir fits into the latter group more easily, and there is nothing in any data to persuade me otherwise. The eye test and the numbers concur. I post about it a lot because if you only read the headers you’d think the incumbent who leads the polls in almost every measure is the one who is struggling, and I think that is ridiculous
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

I think they did, as pretty much everyone had to if they didn’t want the SA to pay them unwelcome attention.

But the main act of Nazi propaganda in schools was a large photo of Hitler in every classroom to which children would give a Nazi salute at the start of the day.
    And in Weimar Germany.

And in Imperial Germany.

And in Prussia before that.

Germany had big influence in strange places - Fredrick the Great made alot of people say "one of those please" as far as armies went.

So in Peru, they introduced marching... "clubs"? in th schools. Complete with the goose step.

Scene : a quiet afternoon in the Plaza de Armas of Trujillo. The coffee was good, and the first Stinger of the day was doing it's pre-dinner work... Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!

The schools of the town started marching past, by class. Weirds, wacky and a bit hypnotic. All they need was to start singing the "Panzerlied"...

• Options
    "Bet we hear crickets from the usual suspects"

Is "crickets" rhyming slang?
  • Options
    isam said:

stodge said:

moonshine said:

I am 47 in December and in my lifetime only 3 LOTOs have become PM - Maggie, Blair and Cameron. It is a very rare occurrence. Those three all had something about them that Foot, Kinnock, Hague, IDS, Howard, Miliband, & Corbyn didn’t. I happen to think Sir Keir fits into the latter group more easily, and there is nothing in any data to persuade me otherwise. The eye test and the numbers concur. I post about it a lot because if you only read the headers you’d think the incumbent who leads the polls in almost every measure is the one who is struggling, and I think that is ridiculous
    Although if we take the 47 years prior to your birth, back to 1927, only three leaders of the Opposition didn’t become PM - Henderson, Lansbury and Gaitskell.

Things can change.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Others will correct me I’m sure, but there is a misconception about hygiene in the Middle Ages. People rarely took baths, as in immersing in water in the modern fashion. They did however wash, using cloths and water. The idea that everyone was dirty is nonsense.
    Also there were public baths, to which people went regularly. Even in the filthy Middle Ages. The South Bank in London was known for them, hence its nickname "the stews"; they later became associated with brothels, but the baths endured

https://www.tudornation.com/the-stews/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"Leading COVAX donors"

After:

No, they can borrow for this stuff and pay the borrowing costs out of the future budget.
    Perhaps in theory, but if we were still members, I know exactly what I'd think about the EU borrowing cash to spread its largesse around the world, and then getting members to stump up more the next year.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't touch the EU with a bargepole, but in this process there's a blur of competences between the EU and nation states. I don't blame the EU for making a token donation, I think there's more blame to wealthy countries in the EU (France?) if they haven't donated much.
This discussion has been closed.