Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Boris’s Legacy? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,190
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:
    Around our way the Easter bunny makes more frequent trips.
    Our 9 year old has just told me to admit that I’m the Easter bunny 😢
    That sort of cheekiness needs to be stamped on.
    If you think stamping on nine year olds is appropriate behaviour, teaching isn’t for you.

The trick is, not to let them rabbit on.
    Yes, bet it bugs you no end if they do that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

OTOH these are mostly margin of error changes, and you could just as easily say that the brand new party, the existence of which became common knowledge less than a week ago, is already halfway to the amount of support it needs to be in serious contention for list seats. It's a bit early to be getting excited.

Yes, that's reasonable enough.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    kinabalu said:

Breaking news

From 12th April all customers must sign in under new rules for pubs and restaurants

Anyone over 16 must give their contact details, or check in to NHS test and trace, before entering pub, restaurant or cafe venue when they reopen for outdoor service in England

Same as last summer then.
    Last summer/autumn it was typically only one person in the group which had to provide this information, not everyone.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Floater said:
    Scaled up to the UK's population size that's now approximately 1,100 deaths a day. At peak the UK was averaging around 1,300 per day in each seven day period. The UK total for hospital patients peaked at about the same time as the daily death toll; Poland's hospital numbers are still going up. It's evidently very bad indeed over there at the moment; AIUI down in large part to the Kent variant.

Elsewhere, the French ICU total is now over 5,000 and still climbing. It does look like the tsunami that battered the UK and Portugal around the beginning of the year is now striking elsewhere.
    It is. The continent is basically following about three months behind the UK in everything: caseload, deaths, vaccines, etc.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    kinabalu said:

Breaking news

From 12th April all customers must sign in under new rules for pubs and restaurants

Anyone over 16 must give their contact details, or check in to NHS test and trace, before entering pub, restaurant or cafe venue when they reopen for outdoor service in England

*Fuck* *that*
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    rcs1000 said:
    Incidentally, did anyone else suffer strange jaw injuries on reading this story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56586939

How Jenrick could say that with a straight face given all the dodgy dealing he’s done while in office I have no idea.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

SNP vote down on both the constituency and list vote in new Holyrood Survation poll and Alba on just 3% on the list

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1377673249304276993?s=20

Consituency: Independence: 49 Union 50

List: Independence: 51 Union 45
    It feels like the missed opportunity for game playing by unionists was/is a “Unionist Greens” party on the list.
    The Scottish Greens were originally lead by a unionist, Robin Harper.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

*Fuck* *that*
    Why are they breaking that news at 7pm on eve of Bank Holiday? Or is it a leak?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

What Israel really needs, is another election. That should settle it.
    There's no need. The British Labour party is going to step in and solve everything.
    https://twitter.com/JewishNewsUK/status/1377657311976636423
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Last summer/autumn it was typically only one person in the group which had to provide this information, not everyone.
    Really? I remember it as being everyone. But I only used one pub so I suppose it could have been just them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Shock new entrant in the Hartlepool race. More policies in the thread. I am not sure enough differentiation from the other parties though...

https://twitter.com/edwardpoole1975/status/1377552406729347072?s=19

*you're*
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Sounds like an obligation this time.
    Sounds like preparing the ground for bonkers covid passport/app to me.

Starmer needs to hold firm and kill this idea off.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

And for outdoor - why? What happens if i go for a pint and someone goes on to test positive out of a hundred customers that evening - have the other 99 got to self isolate, even though that one person was much more likely to have caught it via some indoor interaction?
  • Options

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

SNP vote down on both the constituency and list vote in new Holyrood Survation poll and Alba on just 3% on the list

What do Alba need to score for the AS plan to work?
    6%ish in each region before things start happening
    Right - thanks.
  • Options

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

*Fuck* *that*
    Breaking news story on my news feed
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

And for outdoor - why? What happens if i go for a pint and someone goes on to test positive out of a hundred customers that evening - have the other 99 got to self isolate, even though that one person was much more likely to have caught it via some indoor interaction?
    It might be because they are worried about the South African or other variants, and want to be able to react and trace back quickly if one of these variants starts spreading in a particular location. That would be my guess.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.
    May not matter. Politics Home reporting there may not be enough Tory rebels anyway.

What a disgrace that so many conservatives are ready to throw our basic freedoms under the bus without blinking. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,611

Breaking news

Just having to put your contact details on a piece of paper isn't too bad. Not as intrusive as I was expecting.
  • Options

Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.
    May not matter. Politics Home reporting there may not be enough Tory rebels anyway.

What a disgrace that so many conservatives are ready to throw our basic freedoms under the bus without blinking. Pathetic.
    Our liberties have been eroded down to privileges that we should be grateful for rather than rights.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
  • Options

Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.

Wouldn’t it have to pass the Lords too?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.
    I agree. When was the last time the Labour Party voted against the imposition of a new rule?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    It was last time as far as I know.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

5-10%, SNP now barely above its 2016 constituency vote and significantly down on its 2016 list vote and at serious risk of failing to get an SNP majority
    You have more invested in this than many Scots, I sense. ☺
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.

The problem is the Tories' core vote is people over 65 and they tend to be risk averse for obvious reasons, even if they were risk takers in their younger days.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    Yes but fuck 'em I'll give false details again as loads of others did.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

7% starts it working, as they'd get their first list seats. But really, to work properly, they need 9-11%.

All that being said, if Alba pulls down the SNP vote share at the list level by 5% or so, and gets no list seats of its own, then I think that makes bugger all difference to the number of seats the SNP gets.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    It was last time as far as I know.
    Yes I'm not seeing the big deal tbh.

Vaccine certs for pubs - different matter. If I'm wrong on that and it happens I'll be displeased.
  • Options

What Israel really needs, is another election. That should settle it.
    There's no need. The British Labour party is going to step in and solve everything.
    https://twitter.com/JewishNewsUK/status/1377657311976636423
    Much of Labour's problem with AS was it's members obsession with Palestine and the existence (and behaviour) of Israel, and an inability to separate that from British jews.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.

Wouldn’t it have to pass the Lords too?
    They are the great hope I suspect. But ping pong will just slow things down rather than kill this idea. But time will have made it irrelevant hopefully.

Hodges is on about this app providing a quicker way to reopen even though by the time it is ready to go 'live' (if ever) pubs, cafes and so on will have been reopen for indoors for months.

• Options
    On the subject of Israel, worth noting that bars, nightclubs, etc., are now basically all open with minimal restrictions. The borders have also been opened.

And yet CV19 cases continue to fall.

This should fill us all with some serious optimism.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.

Our liberties have been eroded down to privileges that we should be grateful for rather than rights.
    Next time some misty-eyed Tory is on about Magna Carta I hope they die of shame.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

Just having to put your contact details on a piece of paper isn't too bad. Not as intrusive as I was expecting.
    Just the warm up as they know no app will be ready by mid April.
  • Options
    Hail showers forecast next Monday in some places in England.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

BigG says it's going to snow.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

A couple of venues last summer insisted I checked in using the Test & Trace App before I was seated - not a great problem. I suspect it will be more honoured in the breach than the observance.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    I'm more interested in the sweet spot when(if) they cost Sindy parties any seats.

But I'd settle for 'no additional' sindy msps on top of what already looked likely.

If they really do get nothing do they go the way of change UK, even the MPs?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    I don't have a problem doing this for a period until the vaccine rollout is finito.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,530

Weird isn’t it? Why not just say that?
    His mistake is exaggeration.

Special Constable for 12 years is hugely commendable.

Is it past, or is there an issue that Special Constables cannot be party affiliated that caught him?
  • Options
    Seems sensible outcome. As the whole thing appears to be a massive vanity project.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,434
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

On single use vs reusable in a medical and pharmaceutical setting you have to consider the energy/carbon cost of autoclaving or steam sterilising. It isn't cheap.

This is what I used to do for a job.

Steam would be seriously impractical too, what about x-rays or microwaves?
    Gamma rays are more fun
    If you're going to have three bits of the EM spectrum in a post, I have to mention this song.

It's like Tom Lehrer's Elements Song, only much worse:

https://youtu.be/bjOGNVH3D4Y
  • Options
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

A couple of venues last summer insisted I checked in using the Test & Trace App before I was seated - not a great problem. I suspect it will be more honoured in the breach than the observance.
    I usually forgot to and nobody cared. I particularly remember an excellent cafe in Bolsover which I was visiting where they were so interested in the large sums of money I proposed to spend on a three course meal with a couple of non-alcoholic drinks they clean forgot about test and trace.

I haven’t forgotten their lemon meringue pie though.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Strangely Guardian and BBC not outraged by this...but Graudian all over this story,

Tory who claimed MP faked Jewish beliefs is to run in local elections

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/01/tory-wendy-maisey-claimed-mp-faked-jewish-beliefs-stand-local-elections
    From a philosophical angle, I don't know how you can fake a belief.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

Now Test and Trace is integrated with these hundreds of thousands of LFTs that schoolchildren are getting. How can a family with school age children risk going out to the pub or a cafe? It's not worth it. Get caught being in vague vicinity of someone who goes on to test positive and test and trace report back to the school and the pressure to exclude comes from the school.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

He won't. Bet you.

Next time some misty-eyed Tory is on about Magna Carta I hope they die of shame.
    That really would be a triumph of hope over experience.
  • Options
    That would probably be the funniest outcome - the chief wrecker fails in his aim, but has to sit there for four years facing ranks of people who hate him (either for splitting, or failing to split enough)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

5-10%, SNP now barely above its 2016 constituency vote and significantly down on its 2016 list vote and at serious risk of failing to get an SNP majority
    Yet the seat project ions suggests it will be the Conservatives who will be the biggest losers with Labour winning more seats.

Is there any realistic prospect of an anti-SNP coalition led by Labour and supported by the Conservatives and LDs - would Scottish Conservatives serve in a Scottish Government with Anas Sarwar as FM?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Well, we could do with some actual liberals, but is anyone listening?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    I don't have a problem doing this for a period until the vaccine rollout is finito.
    Maybe you can afford the risk of self-isolating - do you have school age children or a job which cannot be done from home?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

Now Test and Trace is integrated with these hundreds of thousands of LFTs that schoolchildren are getting. How can a family with school age children risk going out to the pub or a cafe? It's not worth it. Get caught being in vague vicinity of someone who goes on to test positive and test and trace report back to the school and the pressure to exclude comes from the school.
    You sure about that? I report mine through a separate website.
  • Options

Well, we could do with some actual liberals, but is anyone listening?
    To be fair, Davey has well and truly caught the attention - at last - from the liberals on here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

Oh - I might be wrong - I thought it all linked up now.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

Oh - I might be wrong - I thought it all linked up now.
    It’s possible that it could do and I just don’t. I haven’t actually looked at my app recently. But the instructions are to report it on gov.uk.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

Yet the seat project ions suggests it will be the Conservatives who will be the biggest losers with Labour winning more seats.

Is there any realistic prospect of an anti-SNP coalition led by Labour and supported by the Conservatives and LDs - would Scottish Conservatives serve in a Scottish Government with Anas Sarwar as FM?
    Nobody wants to get into bed with the Tories, and a Labour minority wouldn't need to. What are they going to do, vote it out and put the SNP back into bat?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:
    Scaled up to the UK's population size that's now approximately 1,100 deaths a day. At peak the UK was averaging around 1,300 per day in each seven day period. The UK total for hospital patients peaked at about the same time as the daily death toll; Poland's hospital numbers are still going up. It's evidently very bad indeed over there at the moment; AIUI down in large part to the Kent variant.

Elsewhere, the French ICU total is now over 5,000 and still climbing. It does look like the tsunami that battered the UK and Portugal around the beginning of the year is now striking elsewhere.
    It is. The continent is basically following about three months behind the UK in everything: caseload, deaths, vaccines, etc.
    Eastern Europe seems to have pretty much avoided a first wave at the time of Western Europe, and stored it up for just before vaccinations roll out. Grim timing.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    So you’re saying that in Salmond’s opinion, it will be 100% successful?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

The Met office forecasts snow not me
  • Options
    Amusing, in a rather distressing way, to see the same people who complain about Test'n'Trace not working well wanting to behave in a manner which will prevent it working this summer, and therefore make a future lockdown more likely.

It really is the funniest of worlds, isn't it?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm pulling your leg BigG.

The Met Office App is the only one I look at.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Met office accuracy %?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,000
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

No need, if there was a Unionist majority but the SNP still had most seats then that Unionist majority would vote down indyref2 and the Scottish Conservatives would just keep a neutered Sturgeon as FM and force her to stick to Scottish domestic policy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    I admire your optimism that this will ever end.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Met office accuracy %?
    Quite high, these days, if you mean the Met and not the BBC. Their website is usually a very good indicator of what will happen.
  • Options
    Yes, an excellent response.

Unlike Margaret Thatcher, who at least stuck to her principles even when the world opposed her, Johnson has never seen a majority opinion he doesn't want to run toward and embrace.

If the polling supporting vaccine passports starts to shift, Johnson will shift with it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

Was last time no?
    Maybe you can afford the risk of self-isolating - do you have school age children or a job which cannot be done from home?
    No, neither. That might cause me to give false details.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,000
    edited April 2021
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

7% starts it working, as they'd get their first list seats. But really, to work properly, they need 9-11%.

All that being said, if Alba pulls down the SNP vote share at the list level by 5% or so, and gets no list seats of its own, then I think that makes bugger all difference to the number of seats the SNP gets.
    The SNP would win 0 list seats on tonight's poll compared to 4 in 2016.

So the SNP majority would depend entirely on the constituency seats but with the SNP constituency vote now also down below 50% at 49% that makes it very vulnerable if there is Unionist tactical voting in key Holyrood constituency marginals
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom!

They were willing to prop up Salmond. I’m sure they’ll be willing to prop up Sarwar if the maths works.

Apart from anything else, the humiliation of Scottish Labour reliant on the Tories will be meat and drink to the latter.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

NEW THREAD

Where?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379
    MattW said:

Weird isn’t it? Why not just say that?
    His mistake is exaggeration.

Special Constable for 12 years is hugely commendable.

Is it past, or is there an issue that Special Constables cannot be party affiliated that caught him?
    I believe that there have been MPs who were special constables in the past. It is quite possible that there are at the moment.

Ah - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30768583 - hadn't seen that
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,434
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Breaking news

Then what's the @*^&##? point?

In a world where vaccinations were coming, but the rollout was slow and impossible to accelerate, there might be a grim justification. Say if it were going to take a year to get from here to normality. It wouldn't be good, but there would be a justification- let the fortunate few start to rebuild.

But it won't take a year. In the UK, we're looking at June/July; I suspect that Europe, despite everything, is looking at August. Once enough people are vaccinated, numbers fall off a cliff and it's game over. And the only risk is a vaccine-resistant variant, in which case the vaccination passport stops having any value. (Hunch: the Covid spike is so central to how this thing works that the virus can't evolve away from spike antibodies without losing a lot of its functionality. But I'm a physics teacher, so don't trust me on that.)

So is this an excuse to bring in virtual ID cards? (I hope not, but they are a solution looking for a problem.) Or a sincere attempt to make things better? (Sincere but idiotic, can't rule it out.) Or is it yet another setting of a poohtrap for the opposition? (We need this to open up quickly, but Mr Islington Lawyer sorry Sir Islington Lawyer is stopping us! Depressingly plausible.)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379

Amusing, in a rather distressing way, to see the same people who complain about Test'n'Trace not working well wanting to behave in a manner which will prevent it working this summer, and therefore make a future lockdown more likely.

No, not really.

It is a variant of "tis for thee, not for me"
  • Options

NEW THREAD

Where?
    It is currently taking a break and will reappear. I think.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

Oh you tease us.

Now we daren't comment on here, as we fear a new thread at any moment.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited April 2021

The numbers are so good because we're approaching herd immunity. Filling in forms for pubs and caffs is not going to do anything.

We'll surpass it soon.

There will not be any more lockdowns. And I'm increasingly thinking that the June 21st date could be brought forward. Or perhaps the May inside pubs date. Just before the election, anyone?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

NEW THREAD

Oh you tease us.

Now we daren't comment on here, as we fear a new thread at any moment.
    The thread’s available, it’s just the header’s vanished.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm more interested in the sweet spot when(if) they cost Sindy parties any seats.

But I'd settle for 'no additional' sindy msps on top of what already looked likely.

If they really do get nothing do they go the way of change UK, even the MPs?
    The SNP has such a surfeit of constituency MPs, that if they fish only in that pool, I can't see them reducing the number of Sindy MPs at all.

However, if they take votes from the Greens, such that they both dip below 6-7% in a given region, then it would have an impact.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Delete - wrong thread!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:
    In the sense that Salmond is stuffed, yes.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Pending the new thread... a PB travel forum request:

I'm looking to book a few nights in a smart hotel in the central London in September to belatedly celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. I'm thinking £400-£500 per night - a cut above our usual Novotel.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Ex General in charge of US forces in Europe

https://twitter.com/general_ben/status/1377669621071888391
  • Options

I'm looking to book a few nights in a smart hotel in the central London in September to belatedly celebrate our ruby wedding anniversary. I'm thinking £400-£500 per night - a cut above our usual Novotel.

Thanks!

I cannot help on London hotels but many congratulations on your forthcoming Ruby anniversary

My wife and I keep taking our pills with the hope of our diamond anniversary in May 24 just after the GE
  • Options
    https://www.ft.com/content/fe234f59-75b9-44f7-af8a-f05e588957b7#

Greensill Capital’s administrator has failed to verify invoices underpinning loans to Sanjeev Gupta, after companies listed on the documents denied that they had ever done business with the metals magnate.

If this is true, then things are likely to end very poorly for GFG, Liberty, and for various politicians who guaranteed GFG loans.

• Options
    edited April 2021

Thanks!

There's the St Pancras hotel. Renaissance IIRC.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Why have they put an ex-General in charge of US forces in Europe?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Some good news for Heathrow: United is now going to route all of its European traffic through the airport

https://crankyflier.com/2021/04/01/united-announces-sweeping-changes-to-europe-will-open-london-heathrow-hub/

When air travel is back this is big news for Heathrow. Not good for the people in Brussels hoping for a brexit related boost in Europe though.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The numbers are so good because we're approaching herd immunity. Filling in forms for pubs and caffs is not going to do anything.

We'll surpass it soon.

There will not be any more lockdowns. And I'm increasingly thinking that the June 21st date could be brought forward. Or perhaps the May inside pubs date. Just before the election, anyone?
    Yes, with luck. The potential danger which could wreck this is new vaccine-resistant variants getting here, which is why it is sensible for the government to put in place measures which would allow us to jump on any local outbreaks fast (for example, by having a local 'ring vaccination' programme with vaccines targeted at the new strain).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Greensill Capital’s administrator has failed to verify invoices underpinning loans to Sanjeev Gupta, after companies listed on the documents denied that they had ever done business with the metals magnate.

If this is true, then things are likely to end very poorly for GFG, Liberty, and for various politicians who guaranteed GFG loans.

Bloody hell, this is Wirecard level of awful. The auditor is going to be in big trouble too.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    rcs1000 said:

Floater said:

Why have they put an ex-General in charge of US forces in Europe?
    I think it would be best for you not to give up the day job :smiley:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Does this mean it will be nationalised
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Some good news for Heathrow: United is now going to route all of its European traffic through the airport

https://crankyflier.com/2021/04/01/united-announces-sweeping-changes-to-europe-will-open-london-heathrow-hub/

When air travel is back this is big news for Heathrow. Not good for the people in Brussels hoping for a brexit related boost in Europe though.
    Happy April 1st!
  • Options

NEW THREAD. REALLY THIS TIME

• Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Bloody hell, this is Wirecard level of awful. The auditor is going to be in big trouble too.
    According to the FT article, there are invoices to firms that do not even have trading relationships with GFG.

That's a major, major issue. Because auditors should check pretty much all major trading relationships actually exist, and then should spot check invoices.

(I don't personally think this is quite as bad as Wirecard, because GFG/Greensill didn't get the UK regulator to threaten journalists who asked awkward questions.)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

According to the FT article, there are invoices to firms that do not even have trading relationships with GFG.

That's a major, major issue. Because auditors should check pretty much all major trading relationships actually exist, and then should spot check invoices.

(I don't personally think this is quite as bad as Wirecard, because GFG/Greensill didn't get the UK regulator to threaten journalists who asked awkward questions.)
    On the other hand, Wirecard didn’t have an ex-Chancellor on retainer.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Thanks!

Dukes, in St James' Place
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,530

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Breaking news

*Fuck* *that*
    Is it a Bank Holiday?

Genuinely had not noticed.
This discussion has been closed.