Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Prince of Wales of people’s hearts, in people’s hearts, and votes? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Sandpit said:

Cat well and truly among the pigeons.

Have we seen many existing MSPs on the defection list yet, they’re the ones that will shortly have to submit themselves to the people?
    If you were standing as constituency MSP, wouldn't you get elected, then defect?
    There's going to be a heightened sense of paranoia within the SNP on that front.....
    I think that's why La Sturge is on all news outlets looking and sounding fairly rattled.

If you thought this had no momentum, other than a few people you'd want to get rid of anyway defecting, you'd be far less bothered.

There's a post election scenario where she wins a small majority, or is the largest party by some distance, then 10+ MSPs immediately defect to Alba.
    I doubt it, it would be too brazen, too obvious, too literally incredible, even by the low standards typical of politicians.

But it's easy enough to see how a broader split could happen.

1. MSPs: "We want our independence referendum NOW!"
    2. PM: "No."
    3. SNP civil war over what to do next
    4. Fundamentalists desert en bloc to join Salmond
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Is Dorset a worse communicator than SKS. Seem on a par to me TBH

Dods that should say
    On both counts a vast improvement on their predecessors.
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Not being photographed laying a wreath at the graves of Palestinian terrorists has been a distinctly positive improvement on the communications front.
    Is that even an example of SKS communication skills.

Is that all SKS fans have.

I guess every single poll suggests he has an edge over Corbyn.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

The problem with Corbyn and McDonnell is that they were present, but not involved.
    They did have the advantage that 90% of the audience were not asleep half way through their first sentence 🙄
    Corbyn engaged and inspired millions of Labour voters to get out and vote.

Shame it was for the Tories.
    Can you think of a sentence with Sir Keir inspired in it please.

I go for a new generation of sleep remedies
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Not being photographed laying a wreath at the graves of Palestinian terrorists has been a distinctly positive improvement on the communications front.

As I have said before I am not an SKS fan. He does not inspire me, but I could conceivably vote Labour again.

Think Biden - who was elected not because of any great enthusiasm for him personally, but elected because of who he was not.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Have we seen many existing MSPs on the defection list yet, they’re the ones that will shortly have to submit themselves to the people?
    If you were standing as constituency MSP, wouldn't you get elected, then defect?
    Is there really no honour among thieves? Would anyone dare to be that brazen, standing for election under a party banner but defecting immediately?

The thought of it would put the fear of God into the SNP though, which is probably Salmond’s intention. They’re all going to be looking at each other with extreme suspicion for the next six weeks...
    If you've been shat on by the party e.g. James Dornan, Joan MacAlpine you'd be considering this, surely?

Like any party, the SNP has its factions. NS has sided with a very particular grouping and alienated others, but she won't be leader forever and everyone will be thinking of potential moves. If people defected to Alba, and they get a significant rump of MSPs, she'd be out as FM.

Remains to be seen if Alba pick up any momentum beyond a couple of defections.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited March 2021
    Petty Boris.

Looks to have snubbed Tugendhat because he can’t get over some criticism from when he was Foreign Sec.

https://twitter.com/michaellcrick/status/1375934968501829632?s=21

(You have to go into the thread)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

The problem with Corbyn and McDonnell is that they were present, but not involved.
    They did have the advantage that 90% of the audience were not asleep half way through their first sentence 🙄

SKS inspired a significant recovery in the polls following Corbyns catastrophic election defeat.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

As I have said before I am not an SKS fan. He does not inspire me, but I could conceivably vote Labour again.

Think Biden - who was elected not because of any great enthusiasm for him personally, but elected because of who he was not.
    I think that's a little unfair; Biden projected himself as a safe, if unremarkable, pair of hands. And so far he's proving to be so, apart from problems on his southern border. Just maybe there'll have to be some radical rethinking there, including support for some sort of stabilising activity in Central America.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Millions of young Labour voters will just not vote for SKS.

SKS Labour will not get as many votes as Jezza Labour 2017 and probably not as many as 2019.

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Rentoul predicting that the Separatists will face big problems if people don´t know their Ecks from their Albas.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/alex-salmond-alba-party-nicola-sturgeon-scottish-independence-b1823335.html

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

SKS inspired a significant recovery in the polls following Corbyns catastrophic election defeat.
    Did he

Bless
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Did he

Bless
    I think we have to wait until May to get a proper idea of the scale of recovery. Modest but not nearly enough IMO.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Did he

Bless
    I think we have to wait until May to get a proper idea of the scale of recovery. Modest but not nearly enough IMO.
    BJO is clearly craving for Blair.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,393

Just seen the newspaper headlines; will the Mirror's 'revelations' hurt Boris? Or does 'he's a lad, isn't he; fancy pulling a bird like that' apply?

The public will not care but Carrie might be popping out to WHSmith's and not for a cheap bar of Galaxy.
  • Options
    With several SNP MPs defecting to the new patriotic front party, surely the Jeremy needs to consider doing the same. Despite their bleating, the cult don't have control of the membership any more. So assuming that Labour have a relatively poor night and there is a move against him, it won't succeed.

Better tactic is to copy the strategic brilliance of Salmond and game the electoral system. Depart from the Labour Party. Set up a new patriotic party named after the country you love, win plaudits for your brilliance, delight as twat MPs like Tarry and Sultana defect and join the Palestine Party with you.

Could be brilliant.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Thought the thread had been written by BigG

Thought the threads trolling Big G
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    MaxPB said:

kamski said:

I wouldn't bank on it making a massive difference if CDU/CSU if they switch to Söder as chancellor candidate.
    When the SPD switched to Schulz last time they got an immediate 10% boost in the opinion polls, but ended up getting exactly the vote share they had been polling before switching chancellor candidate.

The CDU are being judged for being in government. Switching chancellor candidate might not help much.

How likely is Söder to get it? I think the party and EU are pulling out all of the stops the prevent him from becoming chancellor at the moment. Laschet just seems so uninspiring, even for chancellor which has historically been boring but competent people.
    I think nobody would be very surprised if he becomes Union chancellor candidate. Stoiber was their candidate in 2002, so there is precedent.

Söder himself claims he is only interested in Bavaria. Nobody really believes this, but it is a fine line for him - the CDU have to be doing badly enough in the polls for them to ditch Laschet, but not so badly that he has little chance of actually becoming chancellor. I guess he would much prefer to remain first minister of Bavaria, than be a failed candidate for chancellor.

So, I don't know. If the CDU look like doing badly enough to lose power, they have nothing to lose by passing the candidature over to Söder - but he is going to be less interested. If they look like doing well, they'll probably want to stick with Laschet. BUT the sweet spot is maybe about where the polls are now - still largest party but a danger of an alternative Green-led coalition coming to power, and the hope that Söder would give them enough of a boost to make Union-Green the most likely option.

• Options
    On topic, raunchy as Shagger's front page revelations are, its hardly a news flash. Tory supporters are perfectly happy to both say "ah he's a lad isn't he" and simultaneously "he's a good father and a family man look at him with Carrie and the baby".

So what with any other politician would have sunk him multiple times over instead boosts Shagger because of the footballification of politics. However, should Keith be revealed to have been shagging the lass who runs his donkey sanctuary there would be Consternation and Uproar about how morally degenerate he is in having an affair.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Did he

Bless
    There is a good article in the Observer. It seems not just PB lefties that are underwhelmed by Keir.

https://twitter.com/ObserverUK/status/1376089691213033475?s=19
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

On topic, raunchy as Shagger's front page revelations are, its hardly a news flash. Tory supporters are perfectly happy to both say "ah he's a lad isn't he" and simultaneously "he's a good father and a family man look at him with Carrie and the baby".

So what with any other politician would have sunk him multiple times over instead boosts Shagger because of the footballification of politics. However, should Keith be revealed to have been shagging the lass who runs his donkey sanctuary there would be Consternation and Uproar about how morally degenerate he is in having an affair.

It's pathetic how partisanly puritan people get.

"Man has sex" is not news.
    "Woman has sex" is not news.

I couldn't care less if its Boris, Keith, Jezza, Drakeford, Sturgeon, Salmond or anyone else you can throw a stick at.
  • Options
    With the Pox once again on the march in other countries and new variants making a mockery of vaccines and talk of the need for additional jabs post vaccine, the ground seems fairly clear for a ban on leisure travel abroad.

Punters think the jab means we're immune so unlock quickly. But the 28 weeks later scenario remains a problem - re-import a modified pox from elsewhere and your immunity isn't worth anything. Until we have a significant proportion of the world vaccinated, holidays abroad surely have to be held in check.
  • Options

Tories have long since abandoned any sense that personal character is required in office. No amount of lies, bungs to chums, breaching of ministerial code matters any more, so why should Johnson's tawdry affairs?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

Morning all. Early start this morning ...... and it's not a good one for that ...... as Mrs C has her second AZN vaccine early today, about 15 min drive away.
    Haven't had my second yet; apparently there's a shortage of Pfizer. Which as I had my first back in January is a bit concerning.
    First time for ages I've set an alarm to wake up in the morning!

Surely Old King Cole it's a wonderful thing to have an early start for?

Where did you hear that 'apparently' from? All the reports today are stating that there will be no shortages of the vaccines for 2nd doses, whether AZN or Pfizer.
    Not a good one because the clocks have sprung forward so it's easy to oversleep.

'Shortage of Pfizer' is as advised by GP; they rang my wife the other day for her second. I asked where mine was, as IMHO I'm overdue and was told they hadn't any Pfizer, at least at the moment, didn't know when they were getting out 'but would tell me as soon as'.
    A neighbour is getting worried about her 91 year father and I get the impression is starting to camp on the surgery's phone!
    Policy for Pfizer is 12 weeks. Even if you got your first on Jan 1 you are not overdue.

“In my opinion I’m overdue” doesn’t cut it for a statement “there are a shortage of vaccines”
    In the separate UK propaganda space, the right wing press did not report that the government had decided to take a calculated risk and vaccinate as many as possible with at least one jag and worry about the second dose later. The problem is now that if the second doses do not turn up then a) many are not fully protected and b) the UK is risking the emergence of a vaccine resistant strain. What was not reported in the UK amid the early vaccine triumphalism, was that most EU governments were not prepared to take the risk of a vaccine resistant strain.

If reckless Boris has gambled and lost, the UK will be in a very dark place indeed. He may get away with it, if the outbreak over all can be controlled, but if it can´t then it will not just be the UK, but the whole planet that will be at risk. So it will be in the interests of all humanity that the UK second doses are delivered, but the anger at the UK on this side of the Channel is genuine and deep felt.
    Actually, they did report that. And they noted it was a considerable gamble. It’s just that so far the gamble has come off.
    Actually, it wasn't a considerable gamble. There was plenty of evidence in the Pfizer trial about the duration of the antibodies and the efficacy curve.

The original spacing chosen was a guesstimate by the scientists who setup the first trial. Even choosing to make it a 2 dose vaccine was an estimate.

In a more relaxed situation, there would have been trials of different spacing between doses.
  • Options

I couldn't care less if its Boris, Keith, Jezza, Drakeford, Sturgeon, Salmond or anyone else you can throw a stick at.
    The days when people were remotely bothered by politicians sex lives are long gone. The Mirror have thrown money away on this - most of this woman's story has been kicking about for a few years, and no one was interested.
  • Options

Married man continues to have affairs until his wife leaves him, lies about said affairs and gets sacked for lying, man knocks up the latest gf and has two other affairs whilst she's preggers including offering contracts to the American one IS news. Or would be if Shagger didn't have a free pass.

If it was ANY other politician, certainly a non-Tory one, the Tory press would be up in arms.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Foxy said:

Tories have long since abandoned any sense that personal character is required in office. No amount of lies, bungs to chums, breaching of ministerial code matters any more, so why should Johnson's tawdry affairs?
    £126k cash angle ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

Morning all. Early start this morning ...... and it's not a good one for that ...... as Mrs C has her second AZN vaccine early today, about 15 min drive away.
    Haven't had my second yet; apparently there's a shortage of Pfizer. Which as I had my first back in January is a bit concerning.

Where did you hear that 'apparently' from? All the reports today are stating that there will be no shortages of the vaccines for 2nd doses, whether AZN or Pfizer.
    Not a good one because the clocks have sprung forward so it's easy to oversleep.

'Shortage of Pfizer' is as advised by GP; they rang my wife the other day for her second. I asked where mine was, as IMHO I'm overdue and was told they hadn't any Pfizer, at least at the moment, didn't know when they were getting out 'but would tell me as soon as'.
    A neighbour is getting worried about her 91 year father and I get the impression is starting to camp on the surgery's phone!
    Policy for Pfizer is 12 weeks. Even if you got your first on Jan 1 you are not overdue.

“In my opinion I’m overdue” doesn’t cut it for a statement “there are a shortage of vaccines”
    In the separate UK propaganda space, the right wing press did not report that the government had decided to take a calculated risk and vaccinate as many as possible with at least one jag and worry about the second dose later. The problem is now that if the second doses do not turn up then a) many are not fully protected and b) the UK is risking the emergence of a vaccine resistant strain. What was not reported in the UK amid the early vaccine triumphalism, was that most EU governments were not prepared to take the risk of a vaccine resistant strain.

If reckless Boris has gambled and lost, the UK will be in a very dark place indeed. He may get away with it, if the outbreak over all can be controlled, but if it can´t then it will not just be the UK, but the whole planet that will be at risk. So it will be in the interests of all humanity that the UK second doses are delivered, but the anger at the UK on this side of the Channel is genuine and deep felt.
    Actually, they did report that. And they noted it was a considerable gamble. It’s just that so far the gamble has come off.
    Actually, it wasn't a considerable gamble. There was plenty of evidence in the Pfizer trial about the duration of the antibodies and the efficacy curve.

The original spacing chosen was a guesstimate by the scientists who setup the first trial. Even choosing to make it a 2 dose vaccine was an estimate.

In a more relaxed situation, there would have been trials of different spacing between doses.
    I think there's also a completely unscientific narrative that single dose vaccines will lead to efficacy dilution or more variants (they don't and they won't). Unsurprisingly it seems to be coming from the same European sources that gave us "quasi ineffectual" and "8% efficacy" among other spectacular fuck ups.

The actual science behind our choice shows a drastically reduced chance of mutations and reduced risk of efficacy diluting variants evolving simply by way of having far fewer potential hosts for the virus and a massive reduction in serious mutation events, those are primarily linked to people who have COVID for over 30 days and their bodies need to make multiple attempts to fight it off with different immune responses.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Ok, hands up all those who forgot about the clock change but were saved by their phones remembering for them?
  • Options

Married man continues to have affairs until his wife leaves him, lies about said affairs and gets sacked for lying, man knocks up the latest gf and has two other affairs whilst she's preggers including offering contracts to the American one IS news. Or would be if Shagger didn't have a free pass.

If it was ANY other politician, certainly a non-Tory one, the Tory press would be up in arms.
    The gutter press engaged trawling people's bedrooms is puritan garbage.

Someone having an affair is between the consensual couple and their partners, not an issue the gutter press should be reporting but its no shock that people enjoy such puritan curtain twitching

You sound like that puritan fool on here attacking people who have sex outside marriage and using the word "bastard".
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    MaxPB said:

Plans to get sports fans back in stadiums and music fans back at festivals this summer will fail because the government is insisting they go to NHS testing centres for a Covid-19 test first, rather than use a home test like schoolchildren.

Lawrence Dallaglio, the former England rugby captain, raised the alarm last night after holding talks with Whitehall officials over plans to allow fans into Wembley and the World Snooker Championship.

He said the government was “in a mess of its own making” for putting in place a “crazy” system of testing that would “put off” fans and overload the NHS. Dallaglio has offered to help ministers set up a system in which fans can get a test at home, validated by a credited laboratory, with the results recorded on a phone app that would be used to access the event.

He said: “I want to get fans and supporters safely back into events by the summer, but I fail to see what’s being proposed can achieve that. A system that involves using already overstretched NHS resources to test a few hundred fans here and there just won’t do. It has got failure written all over it.

“The government won’t allow fans to rapid flow test themselves at home on game day and digitally verify their negative test before going to the event in safety.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-to-get-fans-in-stadiums-has-failure-written-all-over-it-gntqb0vrl

They just need to do away with the testing requirement once everyone has been vaccinated, especially in July when we're highly likely to have double dosed 90-95% of all adults. It just seems completely pointless at that stage to continue COVID safe measures indefinitely.
    It's pointless for the country, certainly, but not for the government, as it gets to keep its emergency powers.
  • Options
    If preventing variants was our sole concern we'd probably be better off going single dose across the entire population save 12 week double dosing groups 1 - 4 (And immuno compromised g6) before starting on second doses for groups 5 - 13 (Children g13)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Ok, hands up all those who forgot about the clock change but were saved by their phones remembering for them?

I've only got one clock that needs changing, as I have a traditional analogue watch.

Until I realised that I also have a clock on the timer that the office heater uses - when I walked in to start work and found it was bloody cold...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

I think there's also a completely unscientific narrative that single dose vaccines will lead to efficacy dilution or more variants (they don't and they won't). Unsurprisingly it seems to be coming from the same European sources that gave us "quasi ineffectual" and "8% efficacy" among other spectacular fuck ups.

The actual science behind our choice shows a drastically reduced chance of mutations and reduced risk of efficacy diluting variants evolving simply by way of having far fewer potential hosts for the virus and a massive reduction in serious mutation events, those are primarily linked to people who have COVID for over 30 days and their bodies need to make multiple attempts to fight it off with different immune responses.
    Dr Fauci was also warning that a single dose might lead to more risk of variants, which was bizarre because as you said the fewer hosts the lower risk of mutation.
  • Options
    kamski said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

I wouldn't bank on it making a massive difference if CDU/CSU if they switch to Söder as chancellor candidate.
    When the SPD switched to Schulz last time they got an immediate 10% boost in the opinion polls, but ended up getting exactly the vote share they had been polling before switching chancellor candidate.

The CDU are being judged for being in government. Switching chancellor candidate might not help much.

How likely is Söder to get it? I think the party and EU are pulling out all of the stops the prevent him from becoming chancellor at the moment. Laschet just seems so uninspiring, even for chancellor which has historically been boring but competent people.
    I think nobody would be very surprised if he becomes Union chancellor candidate. Stoiber was their candidate in 2002, so there is precedent.

Söder himself claims he is only interested in Bavaria. Nobody really believes this, but it is a fine line for him - the CDU have to be doing badly enough in the polls for them to ditch Laschet, but not so badly that he has little chance of actually becoming chancellor. I guess he would much prefer to remain first minister of Bavaria, than be a failed candidate for chancellor.

So, I don't know. If the CDU look like doing badly enough to lose power, they have nothing to lose by passing the candidature over to Söder - but he is going to be less interested. If they look like doing well, they'll probably want to stick with Laschet. BUT the sweet spot is maybe about where the polls are now - still largest party but a danger of an alternative Green-led coalition coming to power, and the hope that Söder would give them enough of a boost to make Union-Green the most likely option.

Thanks for the explainer, yes I think your last scenario is one where Söder himself may be tempted if it looks like the Greens will get their candidate rather than Laschet.

I also agree that the Union will be judged on their last few years in government and in general there must now be some kind of appetite for change. The Union has been in power as the major party for 16 years. That's a long time and I wouldn't blame the German people for taking a punt on a different party this time.
  • Options

Ummmm...while a valid point, I could have done without the mental image of all the aforementioned having sex with each other...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,393
    The Sunday Times front page splashes David Cameron and "toxic banker" Greensill. Boris is a convenient distraction.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

Dr Fauci was also warning that a single dose might lead to more risk of variants, which was bizarre because as you said the fewer hosts the lower risk of mutation.
    Yes, oddly, though, the FDA has approved the single dose J&J vaccine and not noted any increase in variant risk as a downside in the approval notes. It's almost as if all "right thinking" people who oppose brexit want the UK to fail.
  • Options
    Polling news:

Boris Johnson’s handling of the coronavirus crisis has helped the Tories to their largest poll lead over Labour since last June.

A Deltapoll survey for The Mail on Sunday puts the Conservatives on 44 per cent, with Labour lagging by eight per cent on 36, as public support rallies behind the vaccine rollout and ‘roadmap’ for easing lockdown rules. The poll found that 68 per cent support the plan, with just 20 per cent opposed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9410687/Boris-Johnsons-handling-coronavirus-crisis-helps-Tories-8-point-poll-lead-Labour.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Tables here:

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/voting-intention-210327

Wonky Scottish and Welsh results presumably product of low sample size; Con/Lab breakdown in England looks more plausible. Anyway, provided for info, make of it what you will.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Every time IDS is on the tv/radio he should be asked why are you not living in Iraq?
    He and other Neo-Cons ending up destroying Iraq because they knew very little about a country they advocated invasion and regime change and were too arrogant to listen to any thinking conservatives who suggested that a brutal but stable dictatorship might be better than a brutal civil war.And here we see IDS and others now making the same mistake over China.The reality is IDS,Helena Kennedy etc know very little about China.They have no idea how secure or not the leadership is.If China does descend into a brutal civil war then it will not only be tragic for the Chinese people it have tragic global consequences.
    Recommend anyone who wants to know more about China check out Cindy Yu's brillant fortnightly podcasts 'China Whispers on The Spectator website.The current podcast highlights that the current Chinese leadership mostly come from North China not South China and that not just several ethnic minorities but also several regions feel marginalised from the current leadership
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Someone having an affair is between the consensual couple and their partners, not an issue the gutter press should be reporting but its no shock that people enjoy such puritan curtain twitching

You sound like that puritan fool on here attacking people who have sex outside marriage and using the word "bastard".

If it's not a big deal why does Johnson keep lying about it?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Is there any more annoying phrase in the lockdown lexicon than “no earlier than”?
  • Options

The Sunday Times front page splashes David Cameron and "toxic banker" Greensill. Boris is a convenient distraction.

Exactly. Financial sleaze runs right through this government. It is an open goal, and something Keir should be good at convincing the electoral jury over.
  • Options
    Metatron said:

Every time IDS is on the tv/radio he should be asked why are you not living in Iraq?
    He and other Neo-Cons ending up destroying Iraq because they knew very little about a country they advocated invasion and regime change and were too arrogant to listen to any thinking conservatives who suggested that a brutal but stable dictatorship might be better than a brutal civil war.And here we see IDS and others now making the same mistake over China.The reality is IDS,Helena Kennedy etc know very little about China.They have no idea how secure or not the leadership is.If China does descend into a brutal civil war then it will not only be tragic for the Chinese people it have tragic global consequences.
    Recommend anyone who wants to know more about China check out Cindy Yu's brillant fortnightly podcasts 'China Whispers on The Spectator website.The current podcast highlights that the current Chinese leadership mostly come from North China not South China and that not just several ethnic minorities but also several regions feel marginalised from the current leadership

Nobody has advocated mounting an invasion of China, and I'm not sure what's so objectionable about the statement "genocide isn't very nice."
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

No idea. IDGAF about the story so not read up on it and couldn't tell you the details.

People have sex. Get over it. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Metatron said:

Ah yes. The "For The Sake Of Unity And Peace, We Are Forced To Drive Tanks Over Minorities" policy.

What are your views on Scottish independence?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996

Absolutely. There is a lot of puritanical authoritarianism on PB. It’s the dominant credo in fact.
  • Options

Is there any more annoying phrase in the lockdown lexicon than “no earlier than”?

Yes, those who talk of the "precautionary principle"

Or if you want a single word rather than phrase then "caution".
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Habit.
  • Options

It's used in rocket science all the time, where it really does mean "No earlier than" and things are frequently delayed. It's not an expression in general use and will have been put in there by people who half expect stuff to be delayed from that date. It's not been sold that way by any politicians that have used it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Dods that should say
    As communicators.

Seriously.

Did he

Bless
    There is a good article in the Observer. It seems not just PB lefties that are underwhelmed by Keir.

https://twitter.com/ObserverUK/status/1376089691213033475?s=19
    He needs to come out with some policies.

I offered one for free the other day - Ethical Tariffs.

Make EBay tat for this country in a democracy, with good human rights, pay and conditions & zero carbon emissions - 0%.
    Make Ebay tat in a slave labour camp - 100%??

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

The days when people were remotely bothered by politicians sex lives are long gone. The Mirror have thrown money away on this - most of this woman's story has been kicking about for a few years, and no one was interested.
    Not true. Boris is getting hollowed out, bit by bit.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Exactly. Financial sleaze runs right through this government. It is an open goal, and something Keir should be good at convincing the electoral jury over.
    Really? The story is that Dave tried to make direct contact with Rishi a number of times and each time he got rejected. Not sure there's much of a story in it.
    There is a story in it - that Dave was trying to pull in favours..
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

I've only got one clock that needs changing, as I have a traditional analogue watch.

Until I realised that I also have a clock on the timer that the office heater uses - when I walked in to start work and found it was bloody cold...
    My heating stays permanently on GMT. I work on the assumption that if it’s BST I shouldn’t need the heating on: that and the fact that the system is so old I’ve lost the instructions for changing the time...
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Really? The story is that Dave tried to make direct contact with Rishi a number of times and each time he got rejected. Not sure there's much of a story in it.
    Not one that's really going to hurt the current lot though is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

I think the interesting bit is how Greensill got such access to the treasury under Cameron, then Cameron walked off with £70 million of (now worthless) share options.

Steel workers facing redundancy should follow the money when looking who to blame.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1373690401589227526?s=19
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Plans to get sports fans back in stadiums and music fans back at festivals this summer will fail because the government is insisting they go to NHS testing centres for a Covid-19 test first, rather than use a home test like schoolchildren.

Lawrence Dallaglio, the former England rugby captain, raised the alarm last night after holding talks with Whitehall officials over plans to allow fans into Wembley and the World Snooker Championship.

He said the government was “in a mess of its own making” for putting in place a “crazy” system of testing that would “put off” fans and overload the NHS. Dallaglio has offered to help ministers set up a system in which fans can get a test at home, validated by a credited laboratory, with the results recorded on a phone app that would be used to access the event.

He said: “I want to get fans and supporters safely back into events by the summer, but I fail to see what’s being proposed can achieve that. A system that involves using already overstretched NHS resources to test a few hundred fans here and there just won’t do. It has got failure written all over it.

“The government won’t allow fans to rapid flow test themselves at home on game day and digitally verify their negative test before going to the event in safety.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-to-get-fans-in-stadiums-has-failure-written-all-over-it-gntqb0vrl

And how much money did he expect to make from this business venture before the government decided to rely on the NHS?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    gealbhan said:

The best bit in the Arcuri story was where he ponced £3.10 off her to buy a drink. What a grease stain of a human he is.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Especially as no favours were actually pulled in, other than perhaps a meeting or two to be told "no favours are going to be given".
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Exactly. Vaccines do not have a countdown timer. "22 days? I quit!" And for our friends in the EU I can tell you that vaccines do not ask to see if you have a free bus pass either.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Which party is Dave standing for?

Rishi refused to let even Dave pull in favours is the story.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Polling news:

Boris Johnson’s handling of the coronavirus crisis has helped the Tories to their largest poll lead over Labour since last June.

A Deltapoll survey for The Mail on Sunday puts the Conservatives on 44 per cent, with Labour lagging by eight per cent on 36, as public support rallies behind the vaccine rollout and ‘roadmap’ for easing lockdown rules. The poll found that 68 per cent support the plan, with just 20 per cent opposed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9410687/Boris-Johnsons-handling-coronavirus-crisis-helps-Tories-8-point-poll-lead-Labour.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Tables here:

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/voting-intention-210327

Wonky Scottish and Welsh results presumably product of low sample size; Con/Lab breakdown in England looks more plausible. Anyway, provided for info, make of it what you will.

Agreed the Scots/Welsh results look weird. Interesting to see that Remain/Leave no longer has a significant direct effect - Tory and Labour voters last time have remained 90% loyal irrespective of how they felt about Brexit.

The figures for the seat gained by the Tories at the last election, showing a 43-43% tie, are however very similar to the figures earlier from earlier poll yesterday (which showed Labour 2 points ahead in these seats). Does anyone have the baseline figure for what the party shares were IN THOSE SEATS? They are clearly the primary battleground, and by definition the Tories were ahead in them, but by how much? Is the swing larger or smaller? Knowing that would help predict the Hartlepool result.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Charles said:

It was noted and debated extensively but on the balance of risk and benefit the decision was to push forward.

There have been production problems resulting in shortfalls vs the original expectations from last year but these were known about by the time of the decision. The proximate cause of any shortfall at this point would be the EU decided to break their promises to the PM, to overturn centuries of contract law and seize vaccines that the UK has funded and paid for.

But I guess the EU is angry and the UK because they are embarrassed that their catastrophic fuck yo is being revealed to all by the country that left their precious Union?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442

Dura_Ace said:

Habit.
    Also, this started with a serious allegation- that Boris diverted GLA money and goodies to the fragrant Jen without acknowledging their relationship. That's the kind of thing that can get a chap in significant trouble.

The rest of it? Not the actions of a gentleman, to be sure, but everyone already knows BoJo is not a gentleman.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

No idea. IDGAF about the story so not read up on it and couldn't tell you the details.

Politicians seem to have way more sex than other group.

Got a massive libido? Want to meet like-minded people with huge sex drives? Then go into politics....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

The best bit in the Arcuri story was where he ponced £3.10 off her to buy a drink. What a grease stain of a human he is.
    Yes, he never expects to pay his own bills, whether at the bar, or financing his mistress or furnishing his flat. There is a pattern there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

I can recall when Senator John Glenn was terribly upset with George Bush Junior for not taking Ken Lays calls to try and save Enron.

As a perfect example of a big media coverup, for years the various stations refused to release the clips of the Senator making that statement. Just hours before the Enron fun got started.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MaxPB said:

Correct. It's all about the number of infections and their severity. Simply put: more virus, more mutation, more variants. Anything that reduces case numbers and severity helps to reduce mutation.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Got a massive libido? Want to meet like-minded people with huge sex drives? Then go into politics....
    Showbusiness for ugly people, and no shortage of Weinstein like behavior too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

I do think gamble is unfair because it implies chance.

They looked and the data and the theory on vaccines. And made a reasoned judgement call. Of course they may have been wrong but, to date, they appear to be correct
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Is there really no honour among thieves? Would anyone dare to be that brazen, standing for election under a party banner but defecting immediately?

The thought of it would put the fear of God into the SNP though, which is probably Salmond’s intention. They’re all going to be looking at each other with extreme suspicion for the next six weeks...
    Brazen? Honour? This is the SNP we are talking about!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

I think the interesting bit is how Greensill got such access to the treasury under Cameron, then Cameron walked off with £70 million of (now worthless) share options.

Steel workers facing redundancy should follow the money when looking who to blame.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1373690401589227526?s=19
    The number of share options given increases with the likelihood of them being ultimately worthless. £70m to me says "No chance of it coming off, but let him give it a go...."

I will happily set up companies and give you billions in share options for either a viable perpetual motion machine or the secret to eternal youth.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Dura_Ace said:

It does seem to attract more of the alpha-types who don’t fancy sticking to their wedding vows.

The real story here is about the money though, and whether Johnson was involved in the decision to award public funds to someone with whom he was conducting a relationship.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

Yes, he never expects to pay his own bills, whether at the bar, or financing his mistress or furnishing his flat. There is a pattern there.
    Is there any provable truth that Boris "ponced" a drink.. sound to me like a smear.. and I don't like Boris
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Pulpstar said:

The important story isn't the affair, the story is the clear conflict of interest Boris now has about the taxpayer's money Arcuri received.

It's OK. Boris will be Boris!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

Is there any provable truth that Boris "ponced" a drink.. sound to me like a smear.. and I don't like Boris
    "Go on, there must have been times when Boris was a complete arsehole to you?"

"Well, there was that time he'd forgotten his wallet - and asked me for £3.10 so he could buy a beer."

"There's my Pulitzer, right there...."
  • Options

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

Indeed its hell hath no fury like a woman scorned....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited March 2021

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

Yes the "£3.10" is the least believable bit of the story. A fiver maybe. Or, more likely, maybe it was a chat up line.

Edit: which worked.
  • Options

Petty Boris.

Looks to have snubbed Tugendhat because he can’t get over some criticism from when he was Foreign Sec.

I would be critical of both of them.

If he wasn’t invited that’s petty

But Tom T has made the meeting about him not about the PM standing with sanctioned MPs. Which is shitty and selfish and undermining the cause.

But I suspect cock up rather than conspiracy
  • Options
    Should we light a candle for Our Mutual Friend*?

*since he is a Dickens fan...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Petty Boris.

I would be critical of both of them.

If he wasn’t invited that’s petty

But Tom T has made the meeting about him not about the PM standing with sanctioned MPs. Which is shitty and selfish and undermining the cause.

But I suspect cock up rather than conspiracy
    We know Johnson is good at cock ups. The Daily Mirror led on that this morning.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Re Greensill, a pretty common occurrence amongst many of the investigations I have done is the appearance of a third party seeking to insert themselves into an existing relationship by claiming to offer some service which, on inquiry, turns out to be a great big nothing dressed up in lots of management bollocks. Whenever intermediaries, advisors, introducers start appearing on the scene, be very wary indeed. They are almost invariably seeking to skim off money. Scammers, in other words - sophisticated ones no doubt but scammers nonetheless.

One of the investigations I did just before promotion (indeed partly led to it) was into a case with remarkable similarity to the Greensill case - financier appearing from nowhere, ego and claims to greatness the size of a planet, remarkable access to senior people, promises of great riches for all concerned though no-one could ever work out precisely how, conflicts of interest all over the place, money "invested" (all lost of course) - until eventually it all fell apart, largely (whistles modestly) because yours truly asked some bleeding obvious questions and it became apparent that there was nothing there.

The only mystery - and it is an enduring one - is why apparently intelligent people fall for this stuff every single time.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

"Go on, there must have been times when Boris was a complete arsehole to you?"

"Well, there was that time he'd forgotten his wallet - and asked me for £3.10 so he could buy a beer."

"There's my Pulitzer, right there...."
    Have you never been caught with no cash as a rule I never let my partner buy a drink but there was always an occasional time when the wallet was bare and no cashpoint around
    3.10.. its not exactly a large gin and tonic is it ...sounds like an orange juice to.me.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cicero said:

Charles said:

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Please provide any evidence or peer reviewed paper that shows single dose COVID vaccines increase risk of mutations or any kind of efficacy dilution. I mean someone had better tell Johnson and Johnson, one of the world's largest pharmaceuticals companies that this is a problem. You're a complete and utter cretin and every time you open your mouth about any subject it's all bullshit bitterness that the UK has left the EU. There is literally nothing else to your life other than hating the UK. I find it sad.
    He’s got muddled with antibiotics where there is a risk of resistance from a short course.
  • Options
    There goes the EU's final fig-leaf.....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited March 2021

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Which party is Dave standing for?

Rishi refused to let even Dave pull in favours is the story.
    The interesting aspect is why this story - which hurts an ex-PM who left office 5 years ago - is appearing now. What are we being diverted from looking at?

The same might be said about the Mirror story too.
  • Options
    I wonder what the next "alternative fact" to be used is going to be?
  • Options

Should we light a candle for Our Mutual Friend*?

*since he is a Dickens fan...
    I have Great Expectations he will be suffering Hard Times....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

gealbhan said:

We've commented in the past, have we not, that Boris Johnson appears to be the sort of chap who'll have a drink with, and be one of the, lads until it comes to his round.
    Then he finds he's left his wallet at home!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

It does seem to attract more of the alpha-types who don’t fancy sticking to their wedding vows.

The real story here is about the money though, and whether Johnson was involved in the decision to award public funds to someone with whom he was conducting a relationship.
    Well how many other foreign companies got a £100k grant despite not meeting the requirements and lying about having £0 income on their application?
This discussion has been closed.