Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Here We Go (Again) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,018

On topic, I've said for years the police are jumped up little gits.

Anyone who has ever dealt with them professionally can attest to that.

As was ever the case. During the Miners' strike I was a Sales Manager for the Courage Brewery. I predominantly worked in Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire, however I had to cross into Rutland which was part of Leicestershire at the time, and a mining county, so police road blocks were in place to enter the county. On one occassion the road block was managed by Met Officers. They kindly offered to help me unload the six sample cases of Courage Directors cans (144 cans) into one of their vans from the boot of my company Cortina. I didn't feel it was in my interests to object.

I mistrust the police as an institution and individual policemen as a rule, however I respect the badge. Undermine them at your peril PB Tories!
    Dad, ex police (30 years service) tells me the coppers brought in to the miners strike earned so much overtime that they all bought news cars, and called them ‘Arthur’ after a certain miners leader...
    Ironic really, as Arthur's stewardship of the NUM during the strike meant many miners had to sell theirs to feed the children.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924

dixiedean said:

In all of this the one thing missing by the MET was plain common sense

The leadership are going to have to resign over this and I have no idea how Khan avoids the same fate

Why Khan? If him why not Patel?
    Only one of them introduced the law.
    I understood the London Mayor was responsible for policing in London
    Were you calling for the resignation of Boris Johnson following the death of say Ian Tomlinson?
    I was not on PB then but Khan has questions to answer
    Simple question then, do you think Boris Johnson should have resigned after the death of Ian Tomlinson?
    Not simple as I do not know of the case

And I am saying Khan has questions to answer
    You said

'The leadership are going to have to resign over this and I have no idea how Khan avoids the same fate'

So if you don't know about the Ian Tomlinson episode then I suggest you stop commentating on Met Police Affairs until you have.
    I will comment as I wish and surprised that you are willing to give the London mayor a free pass on this
    Khan is utterly utterly useless.
    But to call him out for this almighty balls-up is Shaun Bailey level crap.

Actually the buck stops at Dame Cressida.

She will have to go.
    Not only Dick, but senior officers involved in the decision making and how much Khan was consulted must come into it
    Have you not been reading the responses to your earlier tacit assertion that Khan should go? If Khan is in the line of fire, why not Patel, why not Johnson? Sack each one of them for all I care, but at least be even handed.
    One may also argue. If the Met is not fit for purpose why should the guy who has had 4 years to not reform it go and not the previous one who had twice as long to do bugger all?
    Whatever became of him?
  • Many would contend that there's already a Dick at Lambeth Palace.
    Makes you proud that alongside Iran we're the only/few countries who put unelected clergy into our parliaments.
    I know you're joking but I am actually proud of it. :lol:

Just not a huge fan of the current Archbish, though I am sure he has his merits.
    So you're a Archbishop basher?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,456
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Can anyone explain to me, why the Duchess is NOT wearing a face mask in public????

No doubt she's been vaccinated (special category) BUT yours truly has also been jabbed (twice) and I wear the mask.

Because it is the RIGHT thing to do!
    The law doesn't require the wearing of masks outside if social distance can be maintained, thank God.
    And how wide is the average sidewalk in YOUR part of the world?
    We don't have sidewalks, we have pavements. :smiley:
    That's right. And pretty narrow ones for the most part, as far as I can remember. Certainly NOT six-feet in most places.
    In USA, we use "pavement" but more generically, as in "something that has been paved".

In Kitsap County, Washington they have a voting precinct named (until recently) "Lost Pavement".

What the feq does that even mean? Did someone come along and steel the roadway? Dr. Moriarty?
    It Happens

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-entire-pavement-stolen-street-23605217
    Could the culprit be Big Foot? Has Saquatch immigrated to the UK, and resumed ripping up roadways?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

As was ever the case. During the Miners' strike I was a Sales Manager for the Courage Brewery. I predominantly worked in Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire, however I had to cross into Rutland which was part of Leicestershire at the time, and a mining county, so police road blocks were in place to enter the county. On one occassion the road block was managed by Met Officers. They kindly offered to help me unload the six sample cases of Courage Directors cans (144 cans) into one of their vans from the boot of my company Cortina. I didn't feel it was in my interests to object.

I mistrust the police as an institution and individual policemen as a rule, however I respect the badge. Undermine them at your peril PB Tories!
    Dad, ex police (30 years service) tells me the coppers brought in to the miners strike earned so much overtime that they all bought news cars, and called them ‘Arthur’ after a certain miners leader...
    Yep - that is true

But the stories I heard were of paying mortgages off.

Certain officers also admitted they loved the ructions
  • DavidL said:

My guess is that Patel will want Dick's head for this. If Khan was smart he would demand it first. But he probably won't.

The race to get the Dick head.....
    Gavin Williamson will be worried.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,822
    DavidL said:

My guess is that Patel will want Dick's head for this.

To save her own
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,275

OldBasing said:

dixiedean said:

The leadership are going to have to resign over this and I have no idea how Khan avoids the same fate

Were you calling for the resignation of Boris Johnson following the death of say Ian Tomlinson?
    Simple question then, do you think Boris Johnson should have resigned after the death of Ian Tomlinson?

You said

'The leadership are going to have to resign over this and I have no idea how Khan avoids the same fate'

So if you don't know about the Ian Tomlinson episode then I suggest you stop commentating on Met Police Affairs until you have.
    I will comment as I wish and surprised that you are willing to give the London mayor a free pass on this
    I rarely comment on here, but BigG you are the most ignorant, naïve, flip-flopping poster on this whole forum. Please go away.
    Sorry that is not your call
    You keep telling it how you see it.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,840
    Just catching up with the Clapham story.

Let this be the end of these oppressive laws.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

You need to get with the picture. The laws are fine - it's the police that are in the wrong.

So says most of PB.
    kle4 said:

IF yours truly was a Londoner, based on my lefty leanings would most definitely want to vote for Sadiq Khan.

BUT doubt that I could actually do so, when push comes to shove. Because he seems to be just about totally useless as Mayor.

Is that a fair assessment?

Lead or leave!

Many seem to think he is useless, but he'll also be reelected with a massive majority, so apparently being useless doesn't have to harm your chances!
    Boris Johnson says "Amen" to that.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

MaxPB said:

That picture is going to haunt the Met for a very long time. On my Instagram index of relevance it's absolutely everywhere. The big meme accounts are posting about it as well.

The Met have got this completely wrong and heads must roll, starting at the top.

It's a total disaster. From all sides of politics the opprobrium is pouring in.

Dick wont make it to the end of Monday would be my guess now.
    Good

The Daily Mail is obsessed with Meghan and Harry, it’s ridiculous. They really aren’t *that* interesting.

Mail on Sunday. Tricky one for the Sundays as a lot of their content is written during the week.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Looking at social media (Facebook anyway) the public are backing the police on this one. I can’t say I’m surprised as pretty much all polling has shown a society paralysed by fear of super spreaders, covid parties and people failing to do their bit for public health.

This story is another huge elephant trap for Labour to see which side of the fence they back - public health and the police or those ignoring the law. Yet again I feel they’ve rushed into their response when they should have waited. Unlikely as it is Khan loses in May, something like his failure to back the Police and condemn the protests could be the black swan event that costs him the election. Probably not though given it’ll win him a few more votes from the left.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,127
    Scott_xP said:
    Top marks for Rosie Kinchen who probably had to write the majority of the front page in the last hour as this is a new front page.

The Daily Mail is obsessed with Meghan and Harry, it’s ridiculous. They really aren’t *that* interesting.

No they aren't.
    Ironically, their obsession means they've completely missed the main story. Lovely to see you back btw.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    tlg86 said:

You need to get with the picture. The laws are fine - it's the police that are in the wrong.

So says most of PB.
    The laws may be wrong, but poor handling of a protest doesn't really speak to that one way or another, since the arguments for and against are unchanged.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    I have similar concerns about the police to Cyclefree. The courts are clearly crippled as a result of cuts. However the main problem here is that they are supposed to be overseeing the semi house arrest of the entire population. I'm not sure how you do that in a liberal democracy if the consent of the people breaks down. I haven't been following the evening news but we can decide in the coming days if the police should have acted differently.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,003

Khan may be defacto Met Commissioner on PB, however in name he is not. On that same point both Priti Patel and Boris Johnson could be seen as defacto Police Commissioners, the buck stops with them, however in name they are not. If you are demanding resignations why stop at Khan?

I have never before come across Conservatives being so hostile to the police as an institution. That used to be the sole intellectual property of the mad left.
    Nah it is quite common. Belief in the law is based on belief in fairness and equal treatment of people under the law. That principle applies whether you are on the right or the left.

The police in Britain have not been 'fair' or even handed for decades. Nor have they even been particularly competent and, worst of all, when they have fallen down they have done everything they can to cover it up. As has already been mentioned by TSE, if they can collude to stitch up a Cabinet Minister then they can certainly do the same to some poor shmuck on the street. And they do.
    I was once knocked off my bicycle by a driver who left me his phone number, but left the scene before the police arrived. The police were narked because they have an obligation to perform a breathalyser test at every RTC, so they had to track him down.

The driver wasn't answering his phone. As the police gave me a lift to my daughter's school, they gave me an insight to their philosophy as they explained that they didn't yet know what type of person the driver was.

He could have an innocent explanation for not answering his phone. He could be a perfectly decent individual who had just made a few mistakes. A good person.

Or, he could be one of them. The bad guys. He could have given me a fake phone number and scarpered.

And that way of thinking is a big problem. I can understand why they use it. A lot of the time it can keep them out of trouble.

But if they've decided you are one of the bad guys then you're never going to get a fair break. Will cause no end of issues.

Bit surprised to see the police decide that middle class white women as the bad guys though. Not normally the demographic that fits the stereotype.
    Floater said:

Yep - that is true

But the stories I heard were of paying mortgages off.

Certain officers also admitted they loved the ructions
    One of the factoids that emerged from the flap over policing in Seattle last year, was the tremendous amount of overtime pay & associated benefits (such as pension impacts) by SPD officers in recent years.

Was also a dustup a few years previous, regarding the wide-spread hiring of off-duty Seattle cops, by developers & the like, for directing traffic near construction sites. Turned out there was a VERY tight little coterie within SPD that made sure these coveted opportunities (wearing full police uniform including firearms) went exclusively to the in-crowd within the dept.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Scott_xP said:
    Top marks for Rosie Kinchen who probably had to write the majority of the front page in the last hour as this is a new front page.
    It seems to be a twitter reaction article, hopefully the final edition will have a few actual sourced reactions from inside the government.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    DavidL said:

Be very interesting to see what 10, Downing Street has to say about this issue of the safety of women on our streets.

Especially as Carrie Symonds was a victim of John Worboys when just 20 - and gave evidence against him at his trial.

Is it legal to disclose this? Has she expressly waived confidentiality? If not I suggest it is removed.
    Big article she wrote about it in the Standard:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/carrie-symonds-it-s-such-a-relief-to-know-john-worboys-will-stay-in-prison-a3994801.html
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    tlg86 said:

Mail on Sunday. Tricky one for the Sundays as a lot of their content is written during the week.
    I stand corrected on that one, but I still think they should have changed their front page given tonight’s events.

dixiedean said:

You said

She will have to go.
    Not only Dick, but senior officers involved in the decision making and how much Khan was consulted must come into it
    Have you not been reading the responses to your earlier tacit assertion that Khan should go? If Khan is in the line of fire, why not Patel, why not Johnson? Sack each one of them for all I care, but at least be even handed.
    Khan is responsible for policing in London and this was an operational MET matter and it is legitimate to ask was he informed and did he know the action to be taken

If Khan wants to do something positive he must request Dicks resignation
    If there is a vote in it for him, I daresay he will.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,154
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

What, all 150,000 of them? They are all "jumped up little gits"?
    I know a few coppers, as my private hospital has a contract with the Police Federation, so we get a fair few through. Most are decent, but there is an arsehole element in every population. They do seem to to reach higher positions in the police though.

It is reasonable to distrust a priori anyone who joins the police.

Ditto politicians.
    No, I would disagree with that. Most police recruits go in idealistic.

The problem is that with a clientele that shows the worst of people, it is hard to maintain a moral compass. They are constantly surrounded by appalling acts and people, as part of the job, and that shifts their understanding of normality. It is hard not to be cultured into a very cynical view of humanity. They lose perspective, and their bearings.

It is a position that I have seen people give in to, whether coppers, prison officers, military and yes the medical profession too. The abnormal becomes the norm, and the public become prey.
    One change that has bad effects in America and here is the optimisation of police resources.

Which means that the police don't wander round the "good" parts of town and interact with ordinary citizens as much as they used to.

When I lived in Wiltshire, they were just moving from having police living and working in the town, to having a police car occasionally drive through......
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    dixiedean said:

No they aren't.
    Ironically, their obsession means they've completely missed the main story. Lovely to see you back btw.
    Thank you. Good to be back as well.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,073

kle4 said:

Remember a copper went to prison in the last decade for trying to frame a cabinet minister.

If they can try and fit up a cabinet minister then what chance does an ordinary person have against the coppers.

A very disturbing incident that got overlooked by many because a man said a bad thing. And during the events the Police Federation reps flat out lied about a conversation they had with him, which he helpfully recorded.
    I am surprised the Tory party isn't more anti police, I remember the seething anger after the arrest of Damian Green.
    Plebgate was worse, much worse.
    Can you enforce the law proportionately?

Surely you either enforce it or you don't?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

I have a house near Windermere booked for me and 9 mates in July. It has a hot tub. I'm very excited.

Windermere is a nice drive from Daughter's Pub. 😀
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

So says most of PB.
    The laws may be wrong, but poor handling of a protest doesn't really speak to that one way or another, since the arguments for and against are unchanged.
    I know politicians are supposed to stay out of day to day decision making on how the police do their job, but this really ought to have been avoided. The politicians needed to talk this through with the Met and work out how best to prevent this scenario occurring. If that meant quashing the convictions of Piers Corbyn et al to avoid trouble from them, then so be it.
    The ITV news piece on fbook has thousands of comments backing the Met and blaming the ‘super spreaders’.

Do we think the Twitter commentators and some of the politicians have massively misjudged the public mood again?
    tlg86 said:

So says most of PB.
    So I see. But this site is a haven for authoritarians from across the political spectrum.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    I feel far too junior on this forum to wade into such a controversy but here goes. Surely it is the case that if the police can't choose what laws they enforce they can choose how they enforce it. If these vigils were breaking COVID regulations the police still didn't have to rush in and handcuff people. Couldn't they have handed out fine tickets or something? It's possible to support a law but condemn how it's enforced. After the storming of the Capitol the US police didn't charge in and start breaking heads the minute the curfew came into effect. They waited a bit until the majority drifted away and then dealt with the stragglers. That's called discretion and it avoided even more bloodshed.
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Remember a copper went to prison in the last decade for trying to frame a cabinet minister.

If they can try and fit up a cabinet minister then what chance does an ordinary person have against the coppers.

A very disturbing incident that got overlooked by many because a man said a bad thing. And during the events the Police Federation reps flat out lied about a conversation they had with him, which he helpfully recorded.
    I am surprised the Tory party isn't more anti police, I remember the seething anger after the arrest of Damian Green.
    I always thought the bit when ACPoo *demanded* that the Hillsborough Enquiry not go ahead, was an interesting moment.

And the subsequent claim that it was a "declaration of war on the police", equally interesting.

Final suggestion, the police will only get better when they wear body cameras permanently.

My police officer friend says a big event this year will be the trial of the officers who tasered Dalian Atkinson. My friend refuses to carry a taser because he fears he could end up in prison for doing his job.

Depending on how that case goes, we could be looking at the end of tasers being an option for the police.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,473

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

I know a few coppers, as my private hospital has a contract with the Police Federation, so we get a fair few through. Most are decent, but there is an arsehole element in every population. They do seem to to reach higher positions in the police though.

Ditto politicians.

The problem is that with a clientele that shows the worst of people, it is hard to maintain a moral compass. They are constantly surrounded by appalling acts and people, as part of the job, and that shifts their understanding of normality. It is hard not to be cultured into a very cynical view of humanity. They lose perspective, and their bearings.

It is a position that I have seen people give in to, whether coppers, prison officers, military and yes the medical profession too. The abnormal becomes the norm, and the public become prey.
    One change that has bad effects in America and here is the optimisation of police resources.

Which means that the police don't wander round the "good" parts of town and interact with ordinary citizens as much as they used to.

When I lived in Wiltshire, they were just moving from having police living and working in the town, to having a police car occasionally drive through......
    I would agree. Police, social workers, military need to be away from the front lines regularly, for training and also interacting with normal society in order to gain perspective.

Final suggestion, the police will only get better when they wear body cameras permanently.

A very simple measure that seems reasonable. What are the rules on it at present? Some people will object to being filmed as much as some police will not want to film, but there are ways around that in terms of rules on how footage is recorded and stored etc.

Can you enforce the law proportionately?

Surely you either enforce it or you don't?

I'd say you can. There's a world of difference in how you can, say, clear a space, if the law says they can clear it. There's also the decision of whether it is in the public interest to charge someone.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,196
    This is a good piece of work, strongly suggesting that viral load very much does matter for infectivity.

https://twitter.com/DanLarremore/status/1370464366655463429
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Haven't they tried that in the US?

And don't they, mysteriously, routinely, fail to work at (in)opportune moments?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,643
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Ditto politicians.

Yes, that's quite accurate, in my experience. And I know a few coppers.

The job warps them - as do our demands on them, politically and morally. But most STILL try to do their best, in a fucking difficult job, where they get little respect (as we see on here).

And, I say again, if you hate the British police (like the ludicrous TSE) then I challenge you to go abroad and find a *better* police force. It is exceedingly hard to be simultaneously effective and admired as a police force, in any multiracial nation over 20m in population. It is not hard to amiably police the Scilly Isles
    Stereodog said:

I feel far too junior on this forum to wade into such a controversy but here goes. Surely it is the case that if the police can't choose what laws they enforce they can choose how they enforce it. If these vigils were breaking COVID regulations the police still didn't have to rush in and handcuff people. Couldn't they have handed out fine tickets or something? It's possible to support a law but condemn how it's enforced. After the storming of the Capitol the US police didn't charge in and start breaking heads the minute the curfew came into effect. They waited a bit until the majority drifted away and then dealt with the stragglers. That's called discretion and it avoided even more bloodshed.

Which is exactly why the police were acting like idiots in this case.

Though, discretion involves deciding which laws to use, as well.

After all, you could use all the anti-terrorism laws to lock up suspects in just about any case. The abuse of the earlier PTA shows that.
    edited March 2021

Khan may be defacto Met Commissioner on PB, however in name he is not. On that same point both Priti Patel and Boris Johnson could be seen as defacto Police Commissioners, the buck stops with them, however in name they are not. If you are demanding resignations why stop at Khan?

I have never before come across Conservatives being so hostile to the police as an institution. That used to be the sole intellectual property of the mad left.
    Nah it is quite common. Belief in the law is based on belief in fairness and equal treatment of people under the law. That principle applies whether you are on the right or the left.

The police in Britain have not been 'fair' or even handed for decades. Nor have they even been particularly competent and, worst of all, when they have fallen down they have done everything they can to cover it up. As has already been mentioned by TSE, if they can collude to stitch up a Cabinet Minister then they can certainly do the same to some poor shmuck on the street. And they do.
    I was once knocked off my bicycle by a driver who left me his phone number, but left the scene before the police arrived. The police were narked because they have an obligation to perform a breathalyser test at every RTC, so they had to track him down.

The driver wasn't answering his phone. As the police gave me a lift to my daughter's school, they gave me an insight to their philosophy as they explained that they didn't yet know what type of person the driver was.

He could have an innocent explanation for not answering his phone. He could be a perfectly decent individual who had just made a few mistakes. A good person.

Or, he could be one of them. The bad guys. He could have given me a fake phone number and scarpered.

And that way of thinking is a big problem. I can understand why they use it. A lot of the time it can keep them out of trouble.

But if they've decided you are one of the bad guys then you're never going to get a fair break. Will cause no end of issues.

Bit surprised to see the police decide that middle class white women as the bad guys though. Not normally the demographic that fits the stereotype.
    Ah the "make the evidence fit the suspect" school of policing. It's definitely something the Met suffers from, someone I know who is very close had that issue with them. Luckily that person had enough money and wherewithal to fight it with expensive solicitors. I fear for those who don't have that, as TSE pointed out previously. We only hear about the cases where the malpractice has been uncovered by top solicitors. What happens to the young black man who has had drugs planted on his person during a search?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928

Many would contend that there's already a Dick at Lambeth Palace.
    Makes you proud that alongside Iran we're the only/few countries who put unelected clergy into our parliaments.
    As the Church of England is our established church, the Catholic Church has cardinals represented in the governing body in the Vatican city, Iran is the centre of Shia Islam so in turn has clergy within its legislature
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Ditto politicians.

I would agree. Police, social workers, military need to be away from the front lines regularly, for training and also interacting with normal society in order to gain perspective.
    A friend, who was Special Constable, thought that the police could do with a much bigger program of Specials to help de-programming the them-vs-us mentality he came across.
    Is it just me, or is everyone behaving irrationally and losing their good sense over the strangest things this past couple of weeks? Everything seems magnified for both good and ill.
    I mean both personally and politically.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Due process? Otherwise she could claim unfair dismissal.
    They can sack her (or require her to resign) pretty quickly, even if it is not as immediate as some would like, through proper processes, so should absolutely make sure they don't muck that up.
    Like that lady Ed Balls sacked.
    edited March 2021

dixiedean said:

You said

She will have to go.
    At least he’s not dragged Drakeford into it.

Yet.
    Well the two police BMWs in the header picture are North Wales Police cars, so I think he is perfectly entitled to demand Drakeford's head.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Cyclefree said:

I have a house near Windermere booked for me and 9 mates in July. It has a hot tub. I'm very excited.

Windermere is a nice drive from Daughter's Pub. 😀
    I have already put it on the provisional to do list, don't you worry!

"I know this great pub we have to go to..."
    Stereodog said:

Typical for old-school protests in the US in general and Seattle in particular, to feature what you could call orchestrated, indeed choreographed acts of non-violent civil disobedience.

This occurs when you had a core group of semi-experienced leaders, who reach out proactively to the police, telling them just what they plan to do and when they plan to do it. Then they work out the details with the cops.

So when the day comes, the leaders tell the protesters what to expect and what the limits are, then a selected group volunteer themselves to be arrested, with a minimum of fuss and mess for both themselves and the forces of order.

HOWEVER, this can break down if & when there is no protest leadership to speak of, OR when the numbers & emotions get out of hand OR there is a breakdown in communications between police & protesters.
    Brom said:

The ITV news piece on fbook has thousands of comments backing the Met and blaming the ‘super spreaders’.

Do we think the Twitter commentators and some of the politicians have massively misjudged the public mood again?

Yes, there are lots of authoritarians in the country who love oppressive covid laws and zero-tolerance policing. They might even be in the majority.

Your point is?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,872

Did the driver turn out to be a very boring, middle aged man from North London?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/27/keir-starmer-contacted-by-police-after-collision-with-cyclist-in-london
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,073

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I always thought the bit when ACPoo *demanded* that the Hillsborough Enquiry not go ahead, was an interesting moment.

And the subsequent claim that it was a "declaration of war on the police", equally interesting.
    They are often their own worst enemies, as @Cyclefree somewhat presciently pointed out.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Ditto politicians.

I moved to this town (small, Herts commuter belt) about eleven years ago. I distinctly remember a couple of years ago being very surprised to see a police foot patrol one afternoon. I can't swear blind that it's the only one I've ever encountered here, but it quite likely was.

Of course, this is not a surprise. As you say, the police have finite resources and really don't bother very much with low crime areas. You don't even see cop cars very often.

Generally speaking nothing much happens around here, but I think we've had two murders. Both cases of women being killed in their own homes by their partners.

Well, they were protesting about a death involving a police officer. Which meant they were critiquing the police. Which meant they were attacking the police...
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Police who broke up a party which breached lockdown rules found guests had travelled hundreds of miles to attend.

Officers arrived at a house in Gloucester to find "loud music, flashing lights and drunken singing".

They found a man hiding in a bath and guests who had travelled from Durham, 250 miles (402km) away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-56386595

They obviously found the Durham branch of SpecSavers was closed.
    MaxPB said:

Ah the "make the evidence fit the suspect" school of policing. It's definitely something the Met suffers from, someone I know who is very close had that issue with them. Luckily that person had enough money and wherewithal to fight it with expensive solicitors. I fear for those who don't have that, as TSE pointed out previously. We only hear about the cases where the malpractice has been uncovered by top solicitors. What happens to the young black man who has had drugs planted on his person during a search?
    As a junior doctor, I lived in an iner city hospital house. Next door was a halfway house for semirehabilitated drug offenders. One day I got the knock on the door, and appeared on the doorstep, bleary and in old t shirt and shorts. The copper on the doorstep said that I had been seen the day before stealing petrol and putting it in my car, giving me the licence plate of my car. I needed to come to the station with him.

I asked if I could ring the hospital as I was due back on duty that PM. Instant change of attitude. Obviously a mistake had been made etc. If he had called on my neighbours they would be banged up again.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

They are often their own worst enemies, as @Cyclefree somewhat presciently pointed out.
    Yup. They managed to escalate the death of Ian Tomlinson spectacularly, spectacularly. If they had left it alone, someone moderately comment would have carried out the autopsy and undoubtedly found that it was a mostly accidental death.
    edited March 2021

Maybe the police have overstepped the mark but I can't help but feel there are a lot of people who are appalled at the policing of a 'good' protest but would be perfectly happy with the policing if it were a 'bad' protest i.e anti-lockdown, far right etc.

Or BLM, XRebellion...

Brom said:

Yes, there are lots of authoritarians in the country who love oppressive covid laws and zero-tolerance policing. They might even be in the majority.

Your point is?
    My point is those to rush in to critique the Met will IMO be on the wrong side of public opinion. I’m not authoritarian but also believe in law and order, and I can disagree with a law but also want said law to be policed. In this case that is exactly what happened.

It doesn’t help matters that most of the decent people had paid their respects and long departed the scene when fringe groups like Sisters Uncut sought to exploit the poor girl’s death for their own radical agenda and publicity. The Met were caught between a rock and a hard place.

Foxy said:

Maybe the police have overstepped the mark but I can't help but feel there are a lot of people who are appalled at the policing of a 'good' protest but would be perfectly happy with the policing if it were a 'bad' protest i.e anti-lockdown, far right etc.

Or BLM, XRebellion...
    What's your point? Police have gone incredibly soft on both of those.

Ultimately, they came for Piers Corbyn, and no one complained. This is where it leads.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Foxy said:

Or BLM, XRebellion...
    Oh the police had no problem with the BLM protests. As for extinction rebellion, I thought they lost most of their support with their stupid stunts last year?
    Foxy said:

Or BLM, XRebellion...
    Yes, I'm probably thinking about my own social media friends who wouldn't think of criticising BLM.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2021
    I had a very convivial zoom quiz this evening and coming to this late. I know it will all have been covered but what in the name of god was the Met playing at?!!!

“Shall we negotiate and try and defuse the situation Sir/Mam?”

“Nah, sod it lets crack heads”.

Heads need to roll, starting with Dick and starting tomorrow.
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Or BLM, XRebellion...

Ultimately, they came for Piers Corbyn, and no one complained. This is where it leads.
    To be fair, Piers Corbyn and company deliberately got themselves arrested - protest theatre.
    Can one imagine, what proto-PBers of two centuries ago, would have to say re: Peterloo?

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Or BLM, XRebellion...

To be fair, Piers Corbyn and company deliberately got themselves arrested - protest theatre.
    And these women, didn't?
  • FFS the man gets worse. No, we don’t want politicians making operational police decisions, we went competent police officers acting within boundaries set by political leaders. Christ, this stuff isn’t hard, and it’s not party political.
    Can you imagine the reaction of Shaun Bailey if Sadiq Khan told the met who to arrest and whose skulls to smash in?

FFS the man gets worse. No, we don’t want politicians making operational police decisions, we went competent police officers acting within boundaries set by political leaders. Christ, this stuff isn’t hard, and it’s not party political.
    Can you imagine the reaction of Shaun Bailey if Sadiq Khan told the met who to arrest and whose skulls to smash in?
    Haven't we just had a huge example in Scotland of why justice shouldn't be politicised?
  • Is it too late for me to move to London and register to vote in the Mayoral election and spoil my ballot with 'Shaun Bailey is so dense light refracts around him'

FFS the man gets worse. No, we don’t want politicians making operational police decisions, we went competent police officers acting within boundaries set by political leaders. Christ, this stuff isn’t hard, and it’s not party political.
    He's trying to be clever and trap Khan if he was involved or if he wasn't. But it doesn't take two seconds to consider why involvement like that would be a very bad idea.
    edited March 2021

Exactly. This is the stuff where most of us, of most political views, should be united in supporting certain fundamental principles. If we don’t mostly agree on this stuff then there’s really no hope.

It’s also one of those issues where politicians need to work together because we can and should think more than one thought at once. Do I believe most police are decent and trying their best? Yes. Do I believe there are cultural issues that work against that and leave some people and some groups picked on by the police because they are “wrong uns” or the wrong shade on a dulux colour chart? Also yes.

Is it too late for me to move to London and register to vote in the Mayoral election and spoil my ballot with 'Shaun Bailey is so dense light refracts around him'

He might still get that vote.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Or BLM, XRebellion...

And these women, didn't?
    No, I don't think so.

Mind you, the thing that was disproportionate in Corbyn's case was the repeated prosecutions.
    Some PBers appear to think, that social distancing is more important than wearing masks, in stopping the spread of COVID and (presumably) other respiratory ailments.

Is this true? Can some of our actual PB experts (medico-scientific) weight in, please?
  • FFS the man gets worse. No, we don’t want politicians making operational police decisions, we went competent police officers acting within boundaries set by political leaders. Christ, this stuff isn’t hard, and it’s not party political.
    Exactly. This is the stuff where most of us, of most political views, should be united in supporting certain fundamental principles. If we don’t mostly agree on this stuff then there’s really no hope.

It’s also one of those issues where politicians need to work together because we can and should think more than one thought at once. Do I believe most police are decent and trying their best? Yes. Do I believe there are cultural issues that work against that and leave some people and some groups picked on by the police because they are “wrong uns” or the wrong shade on a dulux colour chart? Also yes.
    I remember when Ian Tomlinson died some people on the left suggested Boris Johnson should resign because he was responsible for oversight of the met, Alan Johnson to his immense credit said no, because the Mayor doesn't get involved in operational decisions like that.

Can one imagine, what proto-PBers of two centuries ago, would have to say re: Peterloo?

Nothing. We’d have been focused on whether Alabama would join the USA later that year and who would be elected first governor.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,883
    One of the all time great middleweights, Hagler has died.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,883
    USA did 4.6 million vaccinations yesterday. We really need to step on it to be frank now or we'll be as embarrased as the MET are.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Or BLM, XRebellion...

And these women, didn't?
    No, I don't think so.

Mind you, the thing that was disproportionate in Corbyn's case was the repeated prosecutions.
    Bollocks. They obviously wanted to have a ruck with the law knowing what it would look like.

The police are asked to enforce the law. And that's what they did. Suck it up.
    Pulpstar said:

USA did 4.6 million vaccinations yesterday. We really need to step on it to be frank now or we'll be as embarrased as the MET are.

They definitely have had the ramp up we've yet to see, unfortunately. I do remember when Biden set his initial goal everyone seemed to agree it was a low one, as it'll be well well beyond it no question.
    During BLM protests in Seattle, the 95% of the crowd who were peaceful protestors, about 95% of them wore masks

Social distancing was NOT so well observed, but then much of the crowding was unavoidable (if you came out at all) and some of that was due to the activity of (mostly unmasked and not socially-distanced) police.

In both Seattle & London, the cops appear to be woefully unprepared/clueless in effective crowd control, let alone how to defuse and communicate.
    RobD said:

Wonder if that's code for 'report here for a complete bollocking'.
    She could do worse than read my header.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,375
    Why are the media trying to push a dystopian view of the world at the moment?

I'm sorry but anybody who supports lockdown has to support what the Met did tonight.

The police only enforced laws that lockdown supporters have not disputed, and deem necessary for the control of covid, and they did so without fear or favour.

That is simply not correct following yesterday's court ruling.
  • Andy_JS said:

Well we had a white nationalist who tried to overturn in a free election in America whilst you know the plague.

I mean if that's not dystopian then what is?
    Cyclefree said:

I'm sorry but anybody who supports lockdown has to support what the Met did tonight.

The police only enforced laws that lockdown supporters have not disputed, and deem necessary for the control of covid, and they did so without fear or favour.

And it is possible to take the view that the police could and should have engaged, defused, and negotiated. We have a tradition in this country of policing by consent and police discretion allowing for circumstances. We are not a fascist society in which “the law is the law”.

Andy_JS said:

Well we had a white nationalist who tried to overturn in a free election in America whilst you know the plague.

I mean if that's not dystopian then what is?
    Please don’t tempt fate...

Cyclefree said:

And it is possible to take the view that the police could and should have engaged, defused, and negotiated. We have a tradition in this country of policing by consent and police discretion allowing for circumstances. We are not a fascist society in which “the law is the law”.
    "Allowing for circumstance"? No, just no. The law should be applied equally without fear or favour.
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

"Allowing for circumstance"? No, just no. The law should be applied equally without fear or favour.
    It’s hasn’t been that way for at least the last two hundred years, but you’re entitled to want to introduce the idea.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

If that was the case there would be no consideration of public interest for prosecutions.
This discussion has been closed.