Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Oh dear… ODA… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Floater said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/12/president-biden-crumbling-eyes/

I watched less than 60 seconds of his last public announcement and had to turn it off

The chief emotion is one of pity.
  • Options
    On topic there was such an easy option for Boris Johnson that would have enhanced our reputation around the world and saved lives and yet he chose this.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

PB Brainiacs! I get my first jab today.

How long after this first dose can I expect some immunity to kick in? T'internet is not clear. Some say it slowly rises from day 1 - and keeps rising for months.

Others say there is no evidence for any immunity until about 22 days in... or at least that's how it reads - but then it is quite high

https://xkcd.com/2434/
    Oh dear, I guess American questions aren't much better than our own media's.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

On topic there was such an easy option for Boris Johnson that would have enhanced our reputation around the world and saved lives and yet he chose this.

You seriously expected anything else?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:
    It's funny because this really pisses you off, doesn't it?

Most people don't really care.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

Two strongest EU vaccinators are from "small countries which bought outside the EU procurement scheme that was supposed to protect small countries":

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

Yes, also demonstrates my point that had we still been part of the EU we would most likely not have been part of the EU scheme, we would have done our own thing.

Sorry Brexiteers, but your only claim to good news about Brexit is, like everything else you have claimed, a crock of shit.
    I think Brexiteers are making a broader point, that doing your own thing is better than being part of the collective, where the EU represents the collective way of doing things. I think that point is reasonable. If the EU isn't for the collective way of doing things, then what is it for? Whether the issue is the way the EU has gone about it and collectives are in principle OK, or that collectives are never a good idea isn't explored.

My personal view is that UK's vaccine success, which is a genuine one, is essentially a prisoner's dilemma, given the extent to which the UK programme depends on EU supplied vaccines. From its own PoV, the EU slipped up by not maximally securing its own supply. The success of the UK programme depended on the EU making that mistake. The context to Charles Michel's comments this week was his trying to justify the export of vaccines as international solidarity, rather than EU incompetence. No-one believed him.
    The UK programme does not depend on EU supplied vaccines.
    8 million vaccines supplied from the EU against 11 million innoculations delivered in February (NYTimes and OurWorldinData respectively).

Eventually there would be enough vaccines to do everyone in the UK as will happen in all developed countries as it is. But the claimed success for the UK programme is that it is doing it quicker than other countries, not that it is doing it at all. That success depended on the EU not securing vaccines for itself that it could have done.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Mortimer said:

On topic, I think the Govt do have the votes to get this through.

The Mitchell tendency has been severely reduced by Brexit. 20 odd rebelling is my prediction.

I'd be shocked if it was as many as 20, Tory MPs are much more domestically focussed than they were in 2015.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Rejoice, we have the Sky cricket commentators for the T20s/ODIs rather than the fair & balanced BCCI approved commentators we had for the test series.

I imagine the Indian commentators are hardly even mentioning 2 wickets have gone down and that the current batsman are excellent against Rashid and Archer.
  • Options

Rejoice, we have the Sky cricket commentators for the T20s/ODIs rather than the fair & balanced BCCI approved commentators we had for the test series.

I imagine the Indian commentators are hardly even mentioning 2 wickets have gone down and that the current batsman are excellent against Rashid and Archer.
    They've hired Dave Keating to add some objective viewpoints.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,206
    A US professor at Georgetown University has been fired for expressing sadness and frustration that black students don't do as well as they should at the college. She actually said she feels "angst" at the situation.

Yet still got fired. Just for mentioning this inequality. Take that in, and what it implies for the future.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/georgetown-law-professor-fired-after-comments-about-black-students/2603777/

By the same logic, someone in the police or politics saying they feel bad at black people being poorer should also be fired.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Two strongest EU vaccinators are from "small countries which bought outside the EU procurement scheme that was supposed to protect small countries":

Yes, also demonstrates my point that had we still been part of the EU we would most likely not have been part of the EU scheme, we would have done our own thing.

Sorry Brexiteers, but your only claim to good news about Brexit is, like everything else you have claimed, a crock of shit.
    Except yet again that is utter rubbish from you. If we had still been in the EU then we would have gone along with the EU scheme exactly as every other country did because the pressure not to do otherwise would have been immense and we would have been governed by those who still thought the EU was, on the whole, competent. Even outside we were subject to endless attacks from moronic Europhiles criticising the UK for not joining various joint EU schemes all of which turned out to be utterly worthless.

And so if we had remained in it is an absolute certainty that more people would have died than has otherwise been the case and that, although we may well have cut lose at some point, we would not have had the benefit of early adoption and early vaccine buying that has saved 1000s of extra lives.

You Eurofanatics are simply unable to accept that anything good could ever possibly come from Brexit. It has turned you completely mad.
    Disappointed that you have so little faith in our political leaders that you don't trust them to do the right thing.

What gets me about the Brexiters is how scared they are of the EU and how much they believe (wrongly) that it bullied poor little Britain.

Have some confidence in your own nation, man.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    re: "curfews" - not sure if the point has been made, but one other strange (to me) thing about the discussion is that is seems to be focussing on how safe women "feel" when alone on the streets at night, not how safe they actually are. A woman has, we believe, been murdered. Did she "feel" safe on her own? I'm not sure we know (although i haven't read the press in detail so maybe this has been stated). What is true is that she was on her own, whether she felt safe or not. And if she didn't feel safe, she didn't at least feel so unsafe that she didn't take an alternative route home. And tragically, in this case, she wasn't safe, whether she felt safe or not.

Unless a curfew, or men otherwise changing their behaviour, is going to actually lead to women being safe, as opposed to feeling safe, then i'm not sure where the discussion is going.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How long after this first dose can I expect some immunity to kick in? T'internet is not clear. Some say it slowly rises from day 1 - and keeps rising for months.

Others say there is no evidence for any immunity until about 22 days in... or at least that's how it reads - but then it is quite high

Great news. See? It's not all bad - the future looks bright, if not perhaps orange. Or perhaps orange from atop Primrose Hill looking out over the (by then) teeming, thriving city.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

I watched less than 60 seconds of his last public announcement and had to turn it off

Yes - my father had dementia - it is such a sad, sad decline
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:
    I posted that last night.

I fail to see the outrage, unless you're an actual heifer.

I mean what adjectives do you use for someone who managed to lose a council seat to the Tories and then a parliamentary seat to the Tories that the Tories have never held before in a little over two years?
    If only we had @ydoethur around.
    There's an Eric Heifer pun dying to be made.
    I assume his absence is due to the return to school rather than anything else I have missed?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

A US professor at Georgetown University has been fired for expressing sadness and frustration that black students don't do as well as they should at the college. She actually said she feels "angst" at the situation.

Yet still got fired. Just for mentioning this inequality. Take that in, and what it implies for the future.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/georgetown-law-professor-fired-after-comments-about-black-students/2603777/

By the same logic, someone in the police or politics saying they feel bad at black people being poorer should also be fired.

Well its only a few months since this... Academic teaching a course about doing business in China explains a common filler word you will hear there and it isn't what you think it is...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54107329
  • Options
    Leon said:

What an odd story. I feel there must be more to it?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

You still haven't worked out why Cameron's best election result was a majority of 10, have you?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Except yet again that is utter rubbish from you. If we had still been in the EU then we would have gone along with the EU scheme exactly as every other country did because the pressure not to do otherwise would have been immense and we would have been governed by those who still thought the EU was, on the whole, competent. Even outside we were subject to endless attacks from moronic Europhiles criticising the UK for not joining various joint EU schemes all of which turned out to be utterly worthless.

And so if we had remained in it is an absolute certainty that more people would have died than has otherwise been the case and that, although we may well have cut lose at some point, we would not have had the benefit of early adoption and early vaccine buying that has saved 1000s of extra lives.

You Eurofanatics are simply unable to accept that anything good could ever possibly come from Brexit. It has turned you completely mad.
    Disappointed that you have so little faith in our political leaders that you don't trust them to do the right thing.

What gets me about the Brexiters is how scared they are of the EU and how much they believe (wrongly) that it bullied poor little Britain.

I'm not scared of the EU - I am however hugely thankful that we left.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Why
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    We watched a show about Ashford Castle in Ireland earlier. When it came to the cleaners, the head one was an Eastern European lady called Camilla. My girlfriend was surprised they hadn't used Irish locals. It dawned on me possibly for the first time that, in betting terms, Freedom Of Movement gave employers the ability to be able to arb the employment market in huge, infinite size - it would be like an Even money shot on Betfair being 1.8 on Betdaq in as much volume as you liked,- you'd lay the hell out of the 1.8 whilst offering to back 1.98 on the Fair. No wonder big business were so determined for Remain to win - a job that was worth £12ph to them and usually cost £10 in wages all of a sudden cost £7, so they could charge £11 - cheaper for customers and better for them - the working class English paid in lost earnings

The genius was that it was sugar coated in a utopian "lets all nationalities live, love and laugh together" spirit that beared almost no resemblance to reality. So corporate finance was enabled by a mass of people who would shudder at the idea they were doing so.

As Lord Glasman said "Capitalism's Greatest con trick"
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Leon said:

Tim Spector has some stats on this towards the end of this video but I think they relate to Pfizer only -

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1370317440635314176
  • Options

Leon said:

Normally you would, but the US is having a meltdown at the moment....see Sharon Osborne having to apologize for defending a friend against unsubstantiated claims of racism based solely on tone used when talking.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

I mean what adjectives do you use for someone who managed to lose a council seat to the Tories and then a parliamentary seat to the Tories that the Tories have never held before in a little over two years?
    I assume his absence is due to the return to school rather than anything else I have missed?
    And what about @Sandpit I was pondering the other day? Not noticed him but then I've been on a bit less of late.
  • Options

You still haven't worked out why Cameron's best election result was a majority of 10, have you?
    We know you're not very bright and would defend Boris Johnson even if he took a dump in your living room, so I'll explain it to you like if you're a five year old.

When David Cameron became Tory leader he started on 198 MPs, when Boris Johnson became Tory leader he started on 317* MPs.

One started from a much lower base, the other benefited from the hard work of the other one.

*It would have been 331 MPs but for Mrs May.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

So why do you think that the UK wouldn't have had the kahoonas (sp?) to do its own thing? We were still, ostensibly, members when we did it, obvs.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Yes - my father had dementia - it is such a sad, sad decline
    Sorry must have been terrible. To have to cope with that affliction in the glare of the world's media, trying to manage with being the leader of the free world as your powers decline, well.

I am Biden's opponent politically, but I do feel very sorry for him.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    edited March 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

I remember watching the 1988 Olympics when Des Lynam broke the news of Ben Johnson testing positive for drugs and always assumed the shame of it all would mean noone would ever try anything like that again.

Cycling is dirtier than it's ever been at all levels because the techniques are so well known and the 'produits' are so readily available. I know people who do blood bags/testosterone gels for Regional C races - the 2nd lowest level of amateur competition in the UK.
    Is it still on balance good for you, then, if all that shit is going on? I mean, weighing up the massive fitness you accrue from elite sport against the poison of the drugs?
    Dunno. On balance involvement in a competitive cycling at a high level has probably been a net positive for me even though I regularly used to inject myself with steroids and dodgy Italian amphetamines - I missed out on all the oxygen vector doping that came later. At 53 I weigh the same as I did when I was 18 and am in the 3.0 W/kg club.
    That sounds promising - although I also weigh the same as when I was 18, so smoking can achieve that too.

What I will say is, nobody looks fitter to my untrained eye than those pro cyclists. The sprinters look like sheets of metal and the climbers are humanoid in its purest, most ruthless form - no place on those bods for anything that doesn't contribute to its one and only purpose of slugging up a mountain on a pushbike.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Floater said:

25ths going to be invoked.

Acting President Kamala Harris, possibly before year end.

Trump will go big on the "who knew what, when " angle.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You really think Cameron or any other Europhile Tory leader - or Corbyn on the Labour side - would have dared to stand aside from the EU vaccination scheme when every other country joined it? There is not a cat in hells chance.

I have far more confidence in my nation freed from the Eurofanatics than you do given you think we are incapable of surviving without being part of the EU. Have some confidence in your own independent nation, man.
  • Options
    Well India are doing an England.....or as the Indian commentators would put it, India are biding their time.
  • Options
    Brexit is a cult, nobody will ever admit if it goes well.

Or if it goes badly
  • Options

Leon said:

If you can find any more, good luck. I can't. The story seems to be exactly what it says.

US academe is now so paranoid about racism or just perceived racism that merely mentioning any disparity in outcome, between races - even when you do that out of concern - is enough to get you fired.

America is completely fucked if it continues down this road. Presumably we are not far behind, as we watch Kew Gardens renaming all their flowers coz racist
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Floater said:

It is totally mad having someone that age being president, his public appearances will get less and less and he will be gone in 2 years.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    alex_ said:

re: "curfews" - not sure if the point has been made, but one other strange (to me) thing about the discussion is that is seems to be focussing on how safe women "feel" when alone on the streets at night, not how safe they actually are. A woman has, we believe, been murdered. Did she "feel" safe on her own? I'm not sure we know (although i haven't read the press in detail so maybe this has been stated). What is true is that she was on her own, whether she felt safe or not. And if she didn't feel safe, she didn't at least feel so unsafe that she didn't take an alternative route home. And tragically, in this case, she wasn't safe, whether she felt safe or not.

Unless a curfew, or men otherwise changing their behaviour, is going to actually lead to women being safe, as opposed to feeling safe, then i'm not sure where the discussion is going.

And she was walking along talking on her phone, something that isn't a good idea whether your male or female.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

And what about @Sandpit I was pondering the other day? Not noticed him but then I've been on a bit less of late.
    He is around. I have noticed him 'liking' a few posts today.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

If you can find any more, good luck. I can't. The story seems to be exactly what it says.

US academe is now so paranoid about racism or just perceived racism that merely mentioning any disparity in outcome, between races - even when you do that out of concern - is enough to get you fired.

America is completely fucked if it continues down this road. Presumably we are not far behind, as we watch Kew Gardens renaming all their flowers coz racist
    Well unless its overt racism against Asian Americans.... discriminating against them doing too well in tests and thus claiming a disproportionate number of places at top institutions, thats fine.
  • Options

Floater said:

If Biden is to stand down I think he'll do so voluntarily, I don't think it will take the 25th. Unlike Trump.

I doubt it will occur before the midterms. Best for Kamala if she does take over to do so after 21 January 2022, then she has the potential to seek two elections of her own rather than one.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1370374831947022336?s=19

Another disappointing day...might that is why Jezza doesn't seem to have managed to get a jab yet.
  • Options

Floater said:

It is totally mad having someone that age being president, his public appearances will get less and less and he will be gone in 2 years.
    I can't agree with that. It is worth remembering that both the UK and US had war time leaders who were known to be unwell and one of whom died in office. What matters is what they do whilst they are in office, not necessarily how long they were there for.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well unless its overt racism against Asian Americans.... discriminating against them doing too well in tests and thus claiming a disproportionate number of places at top institutions, thats fine.
    Kew Gardens hasn't taken the name off the Sackler bridge yet...

https://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/whats-in-the-gardens/lake-and-sackler-crossing

It would be interesting to calculate how many people died to pay for that bridge.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited March 2021

Floater said:

If Harris does end up President then Trump will fancy his chances of returning to the office in 2024 against her, her strengths are with coastal liberals, less so in the key swing states in the rustbelt Biden narrowly won like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin
  • Options
    Has any US President ever stepped down due to ill-health or other reasons?

Apart from Nixon I think the only ones who've left office prematurely are because of death?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Brexit is a cult, nobody will ever admit if it goes well.

Or if it goes badly

Do you mean like the EU vaccine programme? Ursula is a cult? I dare say she's been called worse over the last few weeks.....
  • Options

Floater said:

I can't agree with that. It is worth remembering that both the UK and US had war time leaders who were known to be unwell and one of whom died in office. What matters is what they do whilst they are in office, not necessarily how long they were there for.
    Also you can guarantee most of the people bringing up Biden's age today in four years will be silent about the age of Trump when/if he runs in 2024.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well unless its overt racism against Asian Americans.... discriminating against them doing too well, thats fine.
    The outrageous discrimination AGAINST Asian Americans is going to destroy American universities in the long term. These students will eventually go to actual Asian universities IN Asia, where being East Asian doesn't mean you have to work twice as hard and be twice as good as BAME American students, to get in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/magazine/affirmative-action-asian-american-harvard.html
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194

So 100 Tweets later does anyone here other that Scott and to an extent Richard Nabavi care about today's numbers?

If they were positive numbers they would be of great interest to you, and you would be trumpeting them from the rooftops. The fact that bad numbers don't fit your narrative means they can be disregarded.

What is the point of political discourse if one can only discuss issues that put the Government/Brexit/ Boris Johnson in a positive light?
    Not really because December's numbers were very positive - did anyone here trumpet them as "businesses excited we're going to leave the EU, look at all this trade"?

No, of course not, don't be ridiculous.
    Ridiculous! How rude and dismissive.

A 19% decline in World/UK trade for January, which under the circumstances doesn't seem too bad, absolutely through the roof decline in EU/UK trade- all of it not explained by stockpiling or Covid, worries me.

But hey, continue to post your only positive news old bollocks, people on here seem to like it.
    Sadly you are another one like Richard Nabavi who has been so desperate to see Brexit as a disaster that you fail to demonstrate even the slightest bit of informed analysis on these numbers. Thankfully the Guardian does. It points out that the ONS itself says that these numbers are not to be considered accurate or final because they have changed the way they record the imports and exports which will make them appear worse than actuality. They also point out that the drop is significantly warped by the fact that so many companies in the EU were stockpiling in advance of the deadline for fear of what would happen to supply chains. They also say they are unable at the moment to define how much of the drop is due to lockdowns and covid affecting exports.

If you had had any sense at all you would have waited and got the figures after a year. You would be sure to have still seen a drop in exports but at least the numbers would have been in some way representative. But like big kids you are all just too impatient to try and be proved right and of course you fear this is about as good as it is going to get for you.
    Fair enough, forgive my impatience, but I am quite confident that (setting aside the negative impact of the pandemic) reductions in exports to the EU will not be offset by Liz Truss's amazing roll-over deals with the rest of the world.

Why any of you are trying to paper over the negative economic effects is surprising. To be fair to genuine Leavers like yourself, you have never claimed it was anything other than a reclamation of our sovereignty, and negative effects were inevitable. I accept that argument, I don't believe we needed to reclaim sovereignty personally, but enough people did to make the difference. I don't accept however Philip Thompson's claim is that we can ignore bad Brexit news because no one is interested.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

We know you're not very bright and would defend Boris Johnson even if he took a dump in your living room, so I'll explain it to you like if you're a five year old.

When David Cameron became Tory leader he started on 198 MPs, when Boris Johnson became Tory leader he started on 317* MPs.

One started from a much lower base, the other benefited from the hard work of the other one.

I'm afraid you have it exactly the wrong way around. Starting on 198 MPs, the first hundred or so were the lowest of low-hanging fruit, especially against a government that had been in power for 13 years - and yet Cameron still failed to win a majority first time, and never exceeded 36% of the vote in either attempt. The more MPs you accumulate, the more your returns diminish, as each additional MP requires a relatively greater 'effort' than the last one.

Bearing all that in mind, Boris Johnson increased his total number of MPs from 317 to 365 (with a 40-year record vote share for any party) after his party had already been in government for over 9 years - breaking just about every rule of electoral gravity in existence. His achievement outclasses Dave's many times over.

And he didn't do it by promising to prioritize the needs of other countries over those of the UK and its citizens, that's for damned sure.
  • Options

Floater said:

Also you can guarantee most of the people bringing up Biden's age today in four years will be silent about the age of Trump when/if he runs in 2024.
    Funnily enough, it's because of his age that I don't see Trump running in 2024.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    It's funny because this really pisses you off, doesn't it?

Most people don't really care.
    There was no negative comment there from me, however the intake into our top universities and hence our top professions is obviously of interest to a large number
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Another disappointing day...might that is why Jezza doesn't seem to have managed to get a jab yet.

If the first dose rollout isn’t to be brought to a standstill when the second dose volumes hit, this needs to ramp up higher than this.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Well as Cameron did, I would have thought it would be quite a nice time to take over as leader of a party when they're on almost their lowest possible, in reasonable terms, number of seats. I hope my son doesn't fall for your kind of explanation in four years time without clocking that!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:

If Harris does end up President then Trump will fancy his chances of returning to the office in 2024 against her, her strengths are with coastal liberals, less so in the key swing states in the rustbelt Biden narrowly won like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin
    Harris isn;t even that popular with coastal liberals.

Still, the media will swoon because of her identity and when she falls from power it will be because America is racist.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966

Leon said:

Normally you would, but the US is having a meltdown at the moment....see Sharon Osborne having to apologize for defending a friend against unsubstantiated claims of racism based solely on tone used when talking.
    Since it is Mandarin for um or er, I doubt the PM will be giving any press conferences in Chinese.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If the first dose rollout isn’t to be brought to a standstill when the second dose volumes hit, this needs to ramp up higher than this.
    I had jab one today - they said a 50% increase in capacity at that station from next week
  • Options

So 100 Tweets later does anyone here other that Scott and to an extent Richard Nabavi care about today's numbers?

If they were positive numbers they would be of great interest to you, and you would be trumpeting them from the rooftops. The fact that bad numbers don't fit your narrative means they can be disregarded.

What is the point of political discourse if one can only discuss issues that put the Government/Brexit/ Boris Johnson in a positive light?
    Not really because December's numbers were very positive - did anyone here trumpet them as "businesses excited we're going to leave the EU, look at all this trade"?

A 19% decline in World/UK trade for January, which under the circumstances doesn't seem too bad, absolutely through the roof decline in EU/UK trade- all of it not explained by stockpiling or Covid, worries me.

But hey, continue to post your only positive news old bollocks, people on here seem to like it.
    Sadly you are another one like Richard Nabavi who has been so desperate to see Brexit as a disaster that you fail to demonstrate even the slightest bit of informed analysis on these numbers. Thankfully the Guardian does. It points out that the ONS itself says that these numbers are not to be considered accurate or final because they have changed the way they record the imports and exports which will make them appear worse than actuality. They also point out that the drop is significantly warped by the fact that so many companies in the EU were stockpiling in advance of the deadline for fear of what would happen to supply chains. They also say they are unable at the moment to define how much of the drop is due to lockdowns and covid affecting exports.

If you had had any sense at all you would have waited and got the figures after a year. You would be sure to have still seen a drop in exports but at least the numbers would have been in some way representative. But like big kids you are all just too impatient to try and be proved right and of course you fear this is about as good as it is going to get for you.
    Fair enough, forgive my impatience, but I am quite confident that (setting aside the negative impact of the pandemic) reductions in exports to the EU will not be offset by Liz Truss's amazing roll-over deals with the rest of the world.

Why any of you are trying to paper over the negative economic effects is surprising. To be fair to genuine Leavers like yourself, you have never claimed it was anything other than a reclamation of our sovereignty, and negative effects were inevitable. I accept that argument, I don't believe we needed to reclaim sovereignty personally, but enough people did to make the difference. I don't accept however Philip Thompson's claim is that we can ignore bad Brexit news because no one is interested.
    I never said that.

I said everyone reasonable knew that the January figures were pretty meaningless due to stockpiling, lockdown, people waiting to see how the border coped and other reasons so Scott hyperventilating over them made no sense. January being disrupted was factored in to everyone's expectations already.

Saying that trade was down in January is like saying that business was slow on 25/12. Entirely to be expected under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is there a market up anywhere yet for the US midterms ?

I'd be having a punt on significant Democratic gains.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/03/11/the-political-weapon-biden-didnt-deploy-475488

Good to read something positive and hopeful from a left of centre perspective for a change. Vastly prefer American Rescue to American Carnage or America First. Details would have been different, and size much smaller, but the spirit of that is what I would have hoped to see from a Labour government here if they were in charge of coming out of the pandemic. Channeling Tony -

"This is a moment to seize. The Kaleidoscope has been shaken. The pieces are in flux. Soon they will settle again. Before they do, let us re-order this world around us."
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194

I never said that.

I said everyone reasonable knew that the January figures were pretty meaningless due to stockpiling, lockdown, people waiting to see how the border coped and other reasons so Scott hyperventilating over them made no sense. January being disrupted was factored in to everyone's expectations already.

Saying that trade was down in January is like saying that business was slow on 25/12. Entirely to be expected under the circumstances.
    There you go again! They are "meaningless" because they don't fulfil your narrative.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Floater said:

I think it was David Frum who said that whether or not Trump wants to run he will have to run for two primary reasons

1) The grift, Trump needs the money, what better way than via another Presidential run

2) It will offer him some sort of de facto protection from (federal) prosecution. He can say he's being persecuted by the POTUS from running, a perception the Biden adminstration may wish to avoid.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

Meant to be imminent. If we get much past the start of next week and we're still not hitting record breaking totals, that would be the time to start worrying.
  • Options

I never said that.

There you go again! They are "meaningless" because they don't fulfil your narrative.
    Don't you know how it works by now?

PB Tories can pick and choose at will, they can never be wrong
  • Options

I never said that.

No. 🤦‍♂️🙄

They're meaningless because they're baked in. We all knew that January was disrupted.

Saying that January was disrupted isn't news because we all were awake in January. But the reports are that by February the volumes were back towards normal levels. So if Feb/March figures are similarly disrupted that would be news, but it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Has anybody told India it isnt a test match?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    tlg86 said:

Floater said:

Does anyone really want the hideous spectacle of America tearing itself apart with Harris v Trump in 2024?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes, Camden. One week behind me in the same place. I asked that question when I got it and was told I'd have most of the protection "in 2 or 3 weeks"

What time are you on btw? I could nip down and get your autograph. I've already got Giles Coren's.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

Does anyone really want the hideous spectacle of America tearing itself apart with Harris v Trump in 2024?
    'Comedy' sketchwriters?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,261

What is going on in Wales?

That's about double the UK rate.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited March 2021
    England is bang on the UK average for total jabs but Scotland and Northern Ireland are a long way behind Wales. Wales is also implementing a shorter dosing schedule.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

England is bang on the UK average for total jabs but Scotland and Northern Ireland are a long way behind Wales. Wales is also implementing a shorter dosing schedule.

BiB - not much of a surprise...
  • Options
    When will PB Tories credit Labour for vaccine success?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

When will PB Tories credit Labour for vaccine success?

When they procure some instead of just handing out what we give them?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yes, Camden. One week behind me in the same place. I asked that question when I got it and was told I'd have most of the protection "in 2 or 3 weeks"

What time are you on btw? I could nip down and get your autograph. I've already got Giles Coren's.
    Expect some protection beginning about 7 days out, rising to maximum protection from the 1st dose at about 3 weeks. Then full protection (i.e. the full protection you personally will get) about 2 weeks after the booster shot.
  • Options
    The vaccination centre where I had my 1st jab had their last appointment at 3pm. I thought that was quite early?
  • Options

This is where I think the Pro-EU side arguing about the economics is completely pointless. They are never going to win any one around with these arguments. When you look at what the arguments were - and what they continue to be - it is all based, in the medium to long term, on reductions in predicted GDP growth. We are told that the increase in GDP will be so many % less than it otherwise would have been if we had not left. It is not even the case that in the medium term GDP will drop. It just won't grow as fast.

Well colour me unimpressed. If this past year has shown us anything it is that the future is never certain and that there are so many factors that can increase or decrease GDP that it is pointless worrying about it. We will always adapt and that adaptation will be no where near as painful as people fear.

My genuine belief - which I know is not universally popular - is that Brexit has, by accident, saved thousands of lives in Britain. I could never have predicted it before hand not only because the pandemic was unpredictable but because I genuinely didn't think the EU would make such a mess of its response. But put against that result, and even ignoring my views on sovereignty, a reduction in GDP growth really isn't something I am going to be worried about.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

No centre ground there at all, the culture wars in full
  • Options

The vaccination centre where I had my 1st jab had their last appointment at 3pm. I thought that was quite early?

That means they can easily ramp up to providing more vaccinations when they receive more doses.

We just need the doses.
  • Options

kjh said:

rkrkrk said:

@rkrkrk

If you think that voters - especially Tory voters - have the slightest concern about a small cut in the aid budget at a time when we're whacking up taxes to fill a giant fiscal hole, then you're frankly out of your mind. You're lucky we're not cutting aid to zero for the next several years until we get back on our feet.

I think you've misunderstood the piece - I'm very clear that voters would be happy to cut the aid budget.
    The issue is that MPs may have a different view. We won't know until its crunch time in parliament.
    The fact that the govt is delaying suggests to me they know it might be a close vote.
    The MPs are there to represent their voters. If they don't - and instead prefer to load us down with taxes while we borrow 15 billion a year to give away - then the party and / or its voters should give them the boot with extreme gusto. May, Mitchell, Davis and any other idiots should take heed.
    We trust our MPs to weigh up the evidence and use their judgement so we don't have to, hence an MP may vote in a different way to the mob. It is the same reason we have juries in trials and not react to the mob opinion. The MPs are also representing those voters who do not vote for them, all of them.
    And if they want to keep their jobs, they can respect the wishes of the 'mob' - otherwise known as the voters who elected them. Entirely up to them.
    Awfully crude and populist, you're getting. It's like you take the shape & tone of whatever iteration your party happens to be in. So if Johnson falls and Rory Stewart somehow emerges to take the Cons in a "internationalist and open compassionate conservatism" direction, that will suddenly be you too, on here writing no end of namby pamby posts.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

LOL. Including that one. :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    An Australian beats the EU candidate to head the OECD.
    https://twitter.com/financialreview/status/1370376622608683008?s=21
  • Options
    edited March 2021

tlg86 said:

Floater said:

It would probably work for BLM
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

I'm afraid you have it exactly the wrong way around. Starting on 198 MPs, the first hundred or so were the lowest of low-hanging fruit, especially against a government that had been in power for 13 years - and yet Cameron still failed to win a majority first time, and never exceeded 36% of the vote in either attempt. The more MPs you accumulate, the more your returns diminish, as each additional MP requires a relatively greater 'effort' than the last one.

Bearing all that in mind, Boris Johnson increased his total number of MPs from 317 to 365 (with a 40-year record vote share for any party) after his party had already been in government for over 9 years - breaking just about every rule of electoral gravity in existence. His achievement outclasses Dave's many times over.

And he didn't do it by promising to prioritize the needs of other countries over those of the UK and its citizens, that's for damned sure.
    Yes. And the results of the previous election don't have much impact on this time, as I showed in a thread a while back. Dave was popular with exactly the kind of metropolitan liberals who like Starmer (at any rate until he launched the EU referendum), and are disproportionately influential in the media, but Boris is much more popular with the C1s and C2s who are more numerous and better represented outside London.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

rkrkrk said:

@rkrkrk

If you think that voters - especially Tory voters - have the slightest concern about a small cut in the aid budget at a time when we're whacking up taxes to fill a giant fiscal hole, then you're frankly out of your mind. You're lucky we're not cutting aid to zero for the next several years until we get back on our feet.

I think you've misunderstood the piece - I'm very clear that voters would be happy to cut the aid budget.
    The issue is that MPs may have a different view. We won't know until its crunch time in parliament.
    The fact that the govt is delaying suggests to me they know it might be a close vote.
    The MPs are there to represent their voters. If they don't - and instead prefer to load us down with taxes while we borrow 15 billion a year to give away - then the party and / or its voters should give them the boot with extreme gusto. May, Mitchell, Davis and any other idiots should take heed.
    We trust our MPs to weigh up the evidence and use their judgement so we don't have to, hence an MP may vote in a different way to the mob. It is the same reason we have juries in trials and not react to the mob opinion. The MPs are also representing those voters who do not vote for them, all of them.
    And if they want to keep their jobs, they can respect the wishes of the 'mob' - otherwise known as the voters who elected them. Entirely up to them.
    Awfully crude and populist, you're getting. It's like you take the shape & tone of whatever iteration your party happens to be in. So if Johnson falls and Rory Stewart somehow emerges to take the Cons in a "internationalist and open compassionate conservatism" direction, that will suddenly be you too, on here writing no end of namby pamby posts.
    Nope, because I wouldn't agree with it either personally or politically. Having said that, I have a soft spot for Rory Stewart and don't think he'd ultimately turn out to be quite as namby-pamby as his non-Tory admirers imagine.
  • Options

I never said that.

No. 🤦‍♂️🙄

They're meaningless because they're baked in. We all knew that January was disrupted.

Saying that January was disrupted isn't news because we all were awake in January. But the reports are that by February the volumes were back towards normal levels. So if Feb/March figures are similarly disrupted that would be news, but it isn't going to happen.
    We hope.....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Even allowing for the weight of English population on the figures it's very close though

Of 18+ population (Max is 200%)

UK 47.006%
    Wales 51.295%
    England 47.008%
    NI 45.702%
    Scotland 44.970%
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Bit sad that aid for the world's poorest has been identified as a wedge issue in the war on woke but I think the author is right - it has. 0.7% was a manifesto commitment and it's utter bullshit that we now can't afford it because of the pandemic. The reason for the cut is pure politics and of the most poisonous type. They think Red Wall voters - as in generic term for working class Leavers who used to vote Labour - will see this and go, "Yeah, too right. Charity begins at home innit. Good on yer, Boris." I hope they're wrong. I hope this reductive patronizing pandering view of their voter base comes back and bites them in their fat cynical arses. So there.

Ok, but we can test the grandstanding here with the counter-argument: if cutting from 0.7% to 0.5% costs "hundreds of thousands" of lives then it stands to reason that having it at 0.7% rather than 1% also costs "hundreds of thousands" of lives, and we should spend more.

So, if you're concerned about saving lives above all else then you should be arguing for an increase on the basis that the current level of spending is a tragedy. Otherwise you are innately conceding an affordability argument that you don't really want to engage in.

I don't see much of that so I'm forced to conclude it's just grandstanding.
    I can argue for higher quite compellingly but all that would do is trigger a whole bunch of "If you're so concerned about it why don't YOU give all your money to Oxfam? Total hypocrite if you don't" type grief from the likes of anotherrichard and pagan and the general band of reactionary reductives. Then I'd get frustrated and tetchy and start having spats with people. Not appropriate for a Friday.

More seriously, on a pure "spend where the need is greatest" rationale every rich country would be allocating an order of magnitude more to overseas aid than they do at the moment. And every single one of them could afford it. But one has to be realistic and recognize that the limits of domestic political acceptability are in the current range of nought point something of GDP.
    Public sector pay is frozen.
    Private sector is struggling to survive.
    Even nurses aren't getting much of a pay rise.

But you want to take billions more from those nurses etc in taxes to give on aid than our neighbours give. Why?
    Nurses will be ringfenced (if you can imagine such a thing) but I'll be making some hard choices elsewhere. You must wait for my Autumn Statement for the detail.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Even allowing for the weight of English population on the figures it's very close though

UK 47.006%
    Wales 51.295%
    England 47.008%
    NI 45.702%
    Scotland 44.970%
    I thought the vaccines were approved down to 16+?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

kjh said:

rkrkrk said:

@rkrkrk

It doesn't work like that does it though. We have a party system so you are voting for a plethora of stuff and the centre of each party normally keeps the populist lunatics at bay.

Are you in favour of bringing back hanging because that is what the mob would often vote for, particularly after any outrage.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

UK 47.006%
    Wales 51.295%
    England 47.008%
    NI 45.702%
    Scotland 44.970%
    I thought the vaccines were approved down to 16+?
    JCVI rollout Group 12 is 18 - 29.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-phase-2-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-programme-advice-from-the-jcvi/jcvi-interim-statement-on-phase-2-of-the-covid-19-vaccination-programme
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Since it is Mandarin for um or er, I doubt the PM will be giving any press conferences in Chinese.
    I don't know the whole story, but I think some of the things that will trigger from that excerpt of the conversation is:

1. general statement that black students do worse without evidence or context
    2. 'some really good ones' could readily be understood that others are there because of positive discrimination in recruitment
    3. much research shows that social expectations drive much of student performance in hard subjects because it creates an angst in the students' minds as to whether they can perform to standard, and this taxes both their cognitive resources and their willpower. It has been shown to be a real effect in women in mathematics, minorities in law schools, and many other fields. If you set positive expectations and remove that angst, performance in these groups goes up; if you set expectations that they will struggle, guess what - they do struggle.

It may well be in relation to 3. that the school is most upset with the professor.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

LOL. Including that one. :)
    Ha yes. Come out @Sandpit!!

:smile:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: according to my sources, Mr. Sandpit is currently reducing testing time even more by means of a man-made sandstorm in Bahrain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

UK 47.006%
    Wales 51.295%
    England 47.008%
    NI 45.702%
    Scotland 44.970%
    I wonder whether the population estimates for Wales are off?

Maybe there's been an influx of Londoners to the Drakeford idyll?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Reminder #28495951 that Goodwin used to be quite an interesting academic before he became a populist berk forever tweeting on behalf of the right in the culture war. Wouldn't be surprised to see him joining Lozza Fox's new outfit and standing for something somewhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Watching crickets, sees massive crowd, most wearing their masks as chin diapers...checks covid case numbers in India....going up again...wonders why.
  • Options

Reminder #28495951 that Goodwin used to be quite an interesting academic before he became a populist berk forever tweeting on behalf of the right in the culture war. Wouldn't be surprised to see him joining Lozza Fox's new outfit and standing for something somewhere.
    I know - how very dare he remind you of the reality of public opinion...
This discussion has been closed.