Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Until the YouGov CON 13% lead is supported by other polling then it should be treated as an outlier

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    The US to be swimming in vaccines within 2 months - 500m vaccines on the way:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/09/covid-19-vaccine-us-surplus-april-coronavirus/4595458001/
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

Oh dear, I see Piers Moron, so popular with the twitterati over the past year, not so popular now. Now calling for his sacking, and an online petition of course.

It would be amusing if this issue brought him down. I'm unclear if there'll be much sympathy for him regardless of views on MM.
    It won't bring him down. He'll be loving it. There are 4 little words that he values above all else. That he lives and breathes for. That keep his pecker pointing skywards and the moolah pouring into his groaning bank account.

"Piers Morgan is trending."
    I've said before I have a weird respect for Piers Morgan. I've been aware of him as a person for nearly 20 years and in all that time it seems as though everyone hates him, yet he's managed to have what appears to be a successful and diverse career in that time.
    And all his baggage, he somehow manages never to get cancelled for long, popping up again in another top quality position. Mirror, sacked, CNN sacked, oh look he is back again with GMB.
    Am I the only one who watched Piers Morgan and Susannah Reid's interview of Thomas Markle on GMB this morning?
    I would need to be shot , chopped up and put in a bag before I would watch those two complete arses.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Bloody hell

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1369334678574993409

87 positives out of nowhere on the Isle of Man.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,049

And so it begins.

How many days before we are being told the roadmap is on hold due to a spike in cases?

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1369301855348666376

Whitty and Vallance made a point of saying explicitly, at the briefing with the unlockdown plan, that they would expect an increase in cases when the schools go back and that alone would not cause a delay.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mail headline: Palace 'fears Harry and Meghan will NAME Royal
    Checks story: 1,2,3,..... 15 photos of Prince Charles !

It's funny, the moment I read about that part of the interview, I heard a Prince Charles voice in my head saying the words ...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,895
    kle4 said:

I love the marathon/sprint analogy, used to claim going faster is a bad thing essentially (until they have gone faster). People still run fast in a marathon, in fact they go as fast as they possibly can. If they could physically sprint a marathon they would.
    Some of them do! Amazing to think that the top male marathon runners average a mile about every four and a half minutes. That's absolutely mind-blowing to me.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

And going back in dribs and drabs while pubs are closed won't have the debauchery associated with Freshers Week.

Possibly not, but they've got a lot of debauchery to catch up on.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    edited March 2021
    Cookie said:

I'm a lockdown sceptic, and I didn't really find much to complain about in what Chris Whitty said. It was pretty factual - 'the modelling shows another surge' etc. Now we might disbelieve the modelling, but he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't report what it was saying.

And I wouldn't expect deaths to go down to zero. The point is to see deaths in the right context.

Exactly. It joins the flu. There's a touch of paranoia around imo. Perhaps understandably given the strange experience we're living through. It's affecting us all in different ways. Certainly is me. I've forgotten many of the social niceties. Feeling a bit "wild".
  • Options
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

This is lucky is it not...........
    Records of meetings between Nicola Sturgeon, permanent secretary Leslie Evans and the Scottish Government’s legal counsel about the investigation into Alex Salmond cannot be found, John Swinney has confirmed. https://bit.ly/2N6wz20

How is Evans still in a job?

One wonders , got a new contract and pay rise as well after it , does make you wonder.
    PS: Last week she said she always shreds her notebooks on a very regular basis as well.
    Well, she would say that or it would stink even more. ( I keep notes on all meetings other than those ........ )

But someone who does not minute meetings that really need to be minuted should surely be for the bin?
    Should have been long ago. Given they had to order a search of the civil service documents as they had not been handing over the evidence, she had to be recalled after forgetting meetings under oath , so she could admit she now remembered them and yet still could not recall the content etc.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,567
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody hell

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1369334678574993409

87 positives out of nowhere on the Isle of Man.

Very similar to Guernsey at the end of January - and like Guernsey prompt lockdown. Guernsey now has 4 cases and no new cases for 10 days.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

kle4 said:

I love the marathon/sprint analogy, used to claim going faster is a bad thing essentially (until they have gone faster). People still run fast in a marathon, in fact they go as fast as they possibly can. If they could physically sprint a marathon they would.
    Some of them do! Amazing to think that the top male marathon runners average a mile about every four and a half minutes. That's absolutely mind-blowing to me.
    Oh indeed. I was speaking equivalently - it's faster than many people sprint, but for them they could still, over short periods (like right at the end) go faster than through most of the race.

That people speed up at the end of a marathon/10000m whatever is pretty mindblowing. I know why 100m is more of a spectacle, but it doesn't wow like the long distance guys for me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2021
    Pulpstar said:

I presume it is totally coincidental that he basically doesn't talk to his dad at all now.

If it was him, it would be quite surprising it was said an intentionally racist way, unlike some Royals.

As Charles has always made a big thing of his much more modern outlook e.g. all the eco stuff, and then after that long running Guardian legal battle, we got what he privately writes to the government and it was all stuff like demanding answers over what they intend to do about to help protect the lesser spotted newt that plays an important role in some Amazonian tribe continued existence.

I think even the Guardian were embarrassed about how "right on" some of the stuff was.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

Oh dear, I see Piers Moron, so popular with the twitterati over the past year, not so popular now. Now calling for his sacking, and an online petition of course.

It would be amusing if this issue brought him down. I'm unclear if there'll be much sympathy for him regardless of views on MM.
    It won't bring him down. He'll be loving it. There are 4 little words that he values above all else. That he lives and breathes for. That keep his pecker pointing skywards and the moolah pouring into his groaning bank account.

I've said before I have a weird respect for Piers Morgan. I've been aware of him as a person for nearly 20 years and in all that time it seems as though everyone hates him, yet he's managed to have what appears to be a successful and diverse career in that time.
    But he's built a successful career precisely BECAUSE everyone (or a lot of people) hate him. A lot of people find being angered, and seeing others angered, as entertaining. So it's a career path, certainly. Not sure why anyone should respect it, though, weirdly or otherwise.
    Because it's not enough to simply be hated. Lots of people are hated, but they cannot sustain a career in the mainstream from it, while he's worked in news and entertainment and managed to carve out that niche. Any number of far right or far left figures could be pointed to who are hated, but not mainstream successful.

His professional persona is that of an arsehole, and it's not unreasonable to assume it's because he is also an arsehole generally. But he obviously manages, professionally, to stay on the right side of the line to keep being employed whereas, say, someone like Laurence Fox seems like he wants to go down that route but is too much an arsehole.
    Precisely. He's an arsehole without a clear ideology. Enabling him to bestride the gulf of professional arseholery like a Colossus. With both left and right able to point and shout "What a massive arsehole!" in unison. Whilst occasionally thinking sometimes he has a grain of a point. (Despite being an arsehole).
    Clever positioning.
    Unfortunately for us, this pinnacle of proctanthropy always seems to be positioned directly overhead...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Might explain why he wasn't returning Harry's phone calls, if they'd fallen out over him being called racist.
  • Options
    I try not to get offended by crass metaphors - open that door and it tirns out a lot of people will be guily - so it has to be a high bar.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

And all his baggage, he somehow manages never to get cancelled for long, popping up again in another top quality position. Mirror, sacked, CNN sacked, oh look he is back again with GMB.
    Am I the only one who watched Piers Morgan and Susannah Reid's interview of Thomas Markle on GMB this morning?
    I would need to be shot , chopped up and put in a bag before I would watch those two complete arses.
    I'd happily be shot, chopped up, and put in a bag if you found me watching them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

And so it begins.

How many days before we are being told the roadmap is on hold due to a spike in cases?

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1369301855348666376

Why is she blaming the government for this and not the school, given the DfE's line is that the PCR test trumps the LTF if its negative? 😕

Oh actually look who the Tweet comes from. Nevermind. 🙄
    No. The policy for a PCR is only called for if the lateral test was done at home, not by the school.

"What happens if a test is positive?

If anyone’s test is positive, they should immediately start isolating in line with public health guidance. Members of their household should also start isolating.

Where a pupil’s test has been taken on site under supervision, the chance of it being incorrect is minimal so there is no need for a further test to confirm the result.

All pupils, staff, and their households who take their tests at home should report the results by calling 119 or through the online form."

If taken correctly, there is a very small chance of a home test being wrong but there is a slightly higher chance of it being administered incorrectly. As such, if a pupil, member of staff or a member of their household gets a positive result at home they should report the result and arrange to have a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test by following this link.

In the event that the PCR test is negative – that they do not have Covid 19 – this overrides the lateral flow test if it was taken at home and they should therefore return to school."

https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/03/09/covid-testing-in-schools-who-will-get-tested-how-and-where-will-they-be-tested-who-has-to-isolate-after-a-positive-test-these-questions-and-more-answered/
    OK so what she's complaining about is only if the test is done at school - and the schools are doing the tests this week, then they go to home tests and the new rule applies?

Sounds irritating but still better to have most kids at school even if a few stay at home. Its progress.
    Definitely progress. We can agree on that.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,200
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Pulpstar said:

I presume it is totally coincidental that he basically doesn't talk to his dad at all now.

If it was him, it would be quite surprising it was said an intentionally racist way, unlike some Royals.

As Charles has always made a big thing of his much more modern outlook e.g. all the eco stuff, and then after that long running Guardian legal battle, we got what he privately writes to the government and it was all stuff like demanding answers over what they intend to do about to help protect the lesser spotted newt that plays an important some Amazonian tribe continued existence.
    Given the similarities between the poor way Meghan has been treated and the poor way Diana was, there would be a certain poetry if Charles were at fault for both.

And he's meant to be our future King "long to rule over us" 😕
  • Options

The poll was done immediately after the budget. Nothing more to say.

RedfieldWilton was done on the 8th March
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    Pulpstar said:

The way the picture's are framed on the home page William and Kate are on the right and left hand sides with Charles and Camilla in the center and Camilla IN FRONT of Charles ;)
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    It's the 'We're really stupid' defence, last refuge of many a political figure.

It can be true, many people act very stupidly, but you don't admit to being really bad at your jobs like that if you have any other defence available.
  • Options
    John Swinney to face a no confidence vote tomorrow
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Oh indeed. I was speaking equivalently - it's faster than many people sprint, but for them they could still, over short periods (like right at the end) go faster than through most of the race.

That people speed up at the end of a marathon/10000m whatever is pretty mindblowing. I know why 100m is more of a spectacle, but it doesn't wow like the long distance guys for me.
    Europe aren't treating vaccination like a marathon, either. More like dressage.
    LOL. A typical Grand Prix dressage test takes around 6 minutes to complete. It just seems like an eternity to anyone who does not ride dressage.
  • Options
    UK R

from case data

from hospital admissions data

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Age related data scaled too 100k population per age group

• Options
    BBC

41,000 complaints to Ofcom re Piers Morgan comments today
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options

kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    A lot of timid folk, such as myself, voted for the status quo in 2016. It stands to reason, therefore, that we would now tend to vote to stay out, rather than repeating the tortuous negotiations of the past 4 years. On the other hand, a few of those who voted Leave are lifelong radicals always on the lookout for something to change. It's hard to see how rejoining the EU would satisfy their craving.
    Yes, and there were many like you. Leavers, really, but too wussy to vote for it. This is why 52/48 does not sum up the result. It wasn't, in truth, that close. The true mood of the nation was clear Leave. It was a mood landslide.
    39% is actually an amazingly high number for re-join, considering we'd be re-joining on massively worse terms, from our standpoint, than those we had when we left. And never mind the years of grinding and divisive negotiation required. I'd like to see a poll on how many people would like to magically wish Brexit away - no regrets, no surrender, no blame, no guilt, no recriminations. It just never happened. I reckon it would be 80-20 in favour of Remain.
    That is higher than I'd have guessed, yes. But I'm not sure about your 80/20 to do a Bobby and wake up in the shower. I'd put it at 40/60. That 40 being so close to 39 as to perhaps be the same people. People like you. People like me. Good people. :smile:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am surprised by that - having been impressed by her Covid interviews.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

I'm a lockdown sceptic, and I didn't really find much to complain about in what Chris Whitty said. It was pretty factual - 'the modelling shows another surge' etc. Now we might disbelieve the modelling, but he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't report what it was saying.

And I wouldn't expect deaths to go down to zero. The point is to see deaths in the right context.

Exactly. It joins the flu. There's a touch of paranoia around imo. Perhaps understandably given the strange experience we're living through. It's affecting us all in different ways. Certainly is me. I've forgotten many of the social niceties. Feeling a bit "wild".
    I fully expect the timetable to be stuck to. My point earlier was that everyone has their red lines and one person's "Surely they will open up earlier given the stats" is another's "Best to wait a few more months to be sure". Both scenarios should be in anyone's analysis.

I give extension as no more than a 15-1 shot and I'll have a fiver with you on it as you kindly offered.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

BBC

Is that up or down on the usual?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,240
    edited March 2021
    Breaking

Buckingham Palace saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Megan
  • Options

Breaking

Buckingham Palace saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Megan

I'm more concerned that a building has become sentient enough to express emotion.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184
    edited March 2021
    TimT said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

LOL. A typical Grand Prix dressage test takes around 6 minutes to complete. It just seems like an eternity to anyone who does not ride dressage.
    One year at Burghley a friend and I finally found somewhere nice and quiet to sit and chat and were happily doing so for some time before we noticed the looks of death from those around us. At which point we realised that we had inadvertently wandered into the dressage arena.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

But he's built a successful career precisely BECAUSE everyone (or a lot of people) hate him. A lot of people find being angered, and seeing others angered, as entertaining. So it's a career path, certainly. Not sure why anyone should respect it, though, weirdly or otherwise.
    Because it's not enough to simply be hated. Lots of people are hated, but they cannot sustain a career in the mainstream from it, while he's worked in news and entertainment and managed to carve out that niche. Any number of far right or far left figures could be pointed to who are hated, but not mainstream successful.

His professional persona is that of an arsehole, and it's not unreasonable to assume it's because he is also an arsehole generally. But he obviously manages, professionally, to stay on the right side of the line to keep being employed whereas, say, someone like Laurence Fox seems like he wants to go down that route but is too much an arsehole.
    Precisely. He's an arsehole without a clear ideology. Enabling him to bestride the gulf of professional arseholery like a Colossus. With both left and right able to point and shout "What a massive arsehole!" in unison. Whilst occasionally thinking sometimes he has a grain of a point. (Despite being an arsehole).
    Clever positioning.
    That's spot on. The notion of him running as a populist politician is not ludicrous.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,727
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    A lot of timid folk, such as myself, voted for the status quo in 2016. It stands to reason, therefore, that we would now tend to vote to stay out, rather than repeating the tortuous negotiations of the past 4 years. On the other hand, a few of those who voted Leave are lifelong radicals always on the lookout for something to change. It's hard to see how rejoining the EU would satisfy their craving.
    Yes, and there were many like you. Leavers, really, but too wussy to vote for it. This is why 52/48 does not sum up the result. It wasn't, in truth, that close. The true mood of the nation was clear Leave. It was a mood landslide.
    I felt on balance that the benefits of international cooperation outweighed the loss of sovereignty and I was disappointed that a small majority felt differently. And I agree with the view that many of them were misled about the likely gains and will eventually come to realise this. But rejoining isn't the answer. The omelette has been cooked.
  • Options
    Someone is in line for a royal spanking, I presume the main punishment for family.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Breaking

I'm more concerned that a building has become sentient enough to express emotion.
    Maybe Sky should have added statement
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,622

Pulpstar said:

As Charles has always made a big thing of his much more modern outlook e.g. all the eco stuff, and then after that long running Guardian legal battle, we got what he privately writes to the government and it was all stuff like demanding answers over what they intend to do about to help protect the lesser spotted newt that plays an important some Amazonian tribe continued existence.
    Given the similarities between the poor way Meghan has been treated and the poor way Diana was, there would be a certain poetry if Charles were at fault for both.

How about a hybrid monarchy? Only the top 10 in the line of succession and over 18 can stand, but beyond that is just directly elected.
  • Options
    Buckingham Palace statement continues

The issues are concerning and will be addressed privately
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1369341089765863424?s=20

To the uncharitable:
    "full extent" - "they didn't tell us"
    "recollections may vary" - "liars"
    "addressed by the family privately" - "we're not taking part in this circus"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

How about a hybrid monarchy? Only the top 10 in the line of succession and over 18 can stand, but beyond that is just directly elected.
    I see no flaws whatsover in a system which puts royals against each other over the succession, history has shown that works out fine.

I'd go the other route, Ottoman it and have all but the heir...taken care of, at their accession.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kle4 said:

Breaking

Sky News seems to have succumbed to the 'pathetic palacey'...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

Glad you put the "weird" in there. It makes all the difference. The post would not work without it. As it is, weirdly, it does.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,727
    edited March 2021

Pulpstar said:

I commend the ancient rules for the succession of Welsh princes. No namby pamby primogeniture. Distant cousins slug it out and the cruellest bastard wins, thereby producing a leader that everyone can look up to (or else).
  • Options
    I don't think that's going to cut the mustard!

At this point I'd say whoever made the comment about Archie's skin colour needs to admit it and get their version of events out there.

It's going to come out in the end anyway. These things always do...
  • Options

BBC

I wonder whether Piers Morgan is about to go out in a "blaze of glory" moment on GMB and then join GB News?
  • Options
    Quite. It definitely has a lawyer vibe to it (not that that is a surprise) - keep it short and say no more than necessary (remember Trump's belated 'call' condemnation of the coup rioters?)

'Saddened to learn' - We dispute that you raised this
    'Recollections vary' - We don't accept the allegations
    'Will be addressed' - but it's serious enough we have to say we are doing something

Back covering, sure, but it is actually correct that this be dealt with privately - this is a family dispute, ultimately, albeit a very high profile family. A resolution of any kind is not likely, but isn't helped by further escalation in public.

• Options
    Domestic cruises in the UK could resume from 17 May, according to the maritime minister.

The All Party Parliamentary Maritime and Ports Group said that Robert Courts MP made the announcement in a meeting on Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56336787
  • Options

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1369341089765863424?s=20

To the uncharitable:
    "full extent" - "they didn't tell us"
    "recollections may vary" - "liars"
    "addressed by the family privately" - "we're not taking part in this circus"

I was thinking, "full extent" could be said to be, "we ignored it at the time".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/09/covid-19-vaccine-us-surplus-april-coronavirus/4595458001/

It's amazing how many people still don't get this.

If only someone had recognised this early...
    But can the states distribute them & do enough (Republicans) want them?
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Greens entering dangerous waters with May just round the corner
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

One year at Burghley a friend and I finally found somewhere nice and quiet to sit and chat and were happily doing so for some time before we noticed the looks of death from those around us. At which point we realised that we had inadvertently wandered into the dressage arena.
    My daughter rides both Eventing (3 Star) and Dressage (Grand Prix), so I am not allowed to make dressage jokes at home.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Thats an idea. Don't ban foreign flights, just make them temporarily eyewateringly expensive.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Pulpstar said:

I commend the ancient rules for the succession of Welsh princes. No namby pamby primogeniture. Distant cousins slug it out and the cruellest bastard wins, thereby producing a leader that everyone can look up to (or else).
    As a compromise, I am totally up for the restoration of the Witenagemot, and with it an elective monarchy.

The Queen has been on the throne for ages. She must have accumulated enough Prestige* to do this by now.

*I may or may not have spent more time than is healthy playing Crusader Kings recently.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Johnson’s decision [not to lock down] flew in the face of all the advice over the summer from the World Bank, the cross-party group of politicians and leading international public health experts. Some of his advisers were incandescent. “I don’t have sympathy for the government making the same mistake twice,” said a senior source on the Sage committee. “We told them quite clearly what they need to do for it to work. They don’t do that . . . It’s been wishful thinking all the way through. I think that probably characterises Boris Johnson, frankly.” "

"Vallance gave an example of what might happen if the current levels of infections were allowed to carry on doubling every week — as they appeared to be doing. This, he said, would lead to around 200-plus deaths per day by the middle of November. It was a shocking prediction that drew scathing criticism — one newspaper quoted an unnamed Tory MP describing them as Messrs “Witless and Unbalanced” for exaggerating the figures. In fact, Vallance had hugely downplayed the predicted November death figures, which would be nearer the 500 daily fatalities upper estimate he had given Johnson a few days earlier. "

"On October 30, the operation committee met again in Downing Street. Johnson, Sunak, Gove and Hancock were all present to listen to a presentation from Sir Simon Stevens, head of the NHS, who delivered an unequivocal message: hospitals would be overrun in every part of England within weeks if nothing was done.

The prime minister had no choice. He had to finally give in — despite everything he and his chancellor had said about their determination to avoid locking down. A decision was taken to announce a lockdown after the weekend. But fearing that Johnson might wobble again, someone in the prime minister’s close circle leaked the news to the The Times. The prime minister was forced to call a press conference the next day."

------------

Jesus.
    The thing is, we all saw this coming at the time.
    (The other two academics at that meeting other than Tegnell were Gupta and Heneghan. Such a surprise.)

It's only looking back that we can recall just how forecasts of 200 deaths a day were so thoroughly mocked by the lockdown sceptics. We went above that on the 21st of October and we are JUST about to drop below a 200-a-day seven day average now for the first time since then. We were past 350 a day on the 1st of November and past 400 a day by the end of the first week in November.

Thanks a bunch, Heneghan, Tegnell, Gupta, Sunak, and the Lockdown Sceptics.
    And by paying the price of those thousands upon thousands of bereaved families... they ended up fucking up the economy with an even longer and deeper lockdown, anyway. Thanks to the moronic denialists.
    [2/2]

Sorry if I missed it in your posts, but on what date were HMG still giving Tegnell, Gupta and Heneghan a hearing?
    Mid-September.
    It was thanks to them that the "circuit breaker" lockdown for early October got canned.
    Leading to the full-on second wave, letting it get out of control, and needing drastic measures to bring it back under control.

They and the Lockdown Sceptics pressure (via the Covid Recovery Group of Tory MPs) against any restrictions (so it always got worse and needed more and more restrictions) are why we've had such a hell of a winter, and why we've been in lockdown so long.

In an alternate timeline, where they weren't listened to, we locked down in October, saw off the rise, went with tougher Tiers, and kept it all under control without kids missing one day of school or the need for any full-on lockdown.

This is the Sunak/Gupta/Heneghan lockdown - needed thanks to their idiocy.
    Except circuit breakers don't work.

Wales tried the circuit break, it was a miserable failure.

Other nations around the globe have tried circuit breaks. Not one of them has succeeded.

So other than that, good point, well done.
    They do work. It's coming out of them that doesn't work as well.
    The four week circuit break in November brought it down.
    The nine weeks since early January has worked as well.

Call it what you like; we're talking about applying lockdown rules for a given period to bring down infection rates. And every time we've done this, infection rates have dropped.
    Lockdowns work, circuit breaks don't. That's the point.

The second you lift the "circuit break" cases instantly start rising again. And if its only 2 weeks that achieves squat since people party "last night of freedom" before the 2 weeks, then party "wahay free again" afterwards counteracting the whole point of just 2 weeks which isn't long enough to do much.

So you can't point to today's lockdown and act as if it would have all been avoidable had we just wished it away with a 2 week circuit break. 2 weeks doesn't work.

If you want a lockdown, fair enough, but then don't complain about having a lockdown. The idea a lockdown could be avoided if we'd just done one for 2 weeks then got back to normal is farcical wishful thinking.

If the 4 weeks in November worked then you can't blame today's lockdown on not having a 2 week one in October.
    A circuit breaker is slang for a short lockdown. Can a lockdown be so short as to not work because the "last night party" effect outweighs the gains? Yes. But can a lockdown be long enough to work but still short enough to be called a circuit breaker? Also yes.

Ergo "lockdowns work, circuit breaks don't" = tilt.
    How short is short enough to still be called a circuit breaker? Especially when the circuit breaker has been defined as 2 weeks.

If you say that a circuit break works, so long as you don't come out of it, then that is a lockdown not a circuit break. A circuit break only works if you can come out of it in the time stated.

Can you name any country, anywhere, which has had significant case numbers and rising cases which has seen a 2 week circuit break work?
    I'm wasn't aware we had an accepted definition of it as being of duration 2 weeks.

Link?
    The talk at the time was specifically of a "two week circuit breaker".

See:

www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4038
    Thanks. Yes, I remember that. But it kind of supports my point. That was one specific instance. If a circuit breaker was defined as being 2 weeks you'd only need to refer to it as a circuit breaker. The "two week" bit would be gratuitous.

If the discussion was about that specific instance rather than in general, ok, fair enough, but I saw the statement "lockdowns work, circuit breakers don't" and it sounded like a proposed iron law.

But anyway. I sense a torrid no-score draw.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

That doesn't specifically help Europe though as the US will likely prefer to use its spare capacity to counter Chinese vaccine diplomacy in APAC and over here our spare capacity has basically already been pledged to developing nations eligible for foreign aid.

The issue Europe has is that it underinvested from April 2020 until January 2021 and now they have got 9 months of catching up to do relative to the UK or US who both invested very heavily in domestic production and domestic supply chains to support independent manufacturing.

I don't see either the US or UK using bought spare capacity to bail out the EU, which leaves them playing catch up with their own domestic manufacturing. Something they may struggle to attract private investment for now that their export bans have been realised so it's all going to have to come from the public purse.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

I was going to reference you in posting this, but forgot your exact tag. Should have just said Robert
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    @rcs1000 I remember you were asking about when Novavax will gain approval in the UK, I saw some research today that said the rolling review process is scheduled to update in the final week of March and deliveries of the vaccine will commence in the second week of April.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

BBC

I wonder whether Piers Morgan is about to go out in a "blaze of glory" moment on GMB and then join GB News?
    Maybe. But ITV is still a serious soap box in a way GB News just isn't going to be. That's why he gets 41k complaints, whereas he wouldn't get a fraction of that on, say, Al Jazeera or even Sky, let alone GB News.

There's a big calculation for those leaving the BBC or ITV. You might get a five year contract with a very nice number at the bottom of it. But where do you go from there? You spend that period very well remunerated but drifting into irrelevance. These places are first jobs for emerging talents, but graveyards for old hands. Maybe he doesn't care - he'd be 60 in five years and might be eyeing the size of the final pay cheque - but I suspect otherwise.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Johnson’s decision [not to lock down] flew in the face of all the advice over the summer from the World Bank, the cross-party group of politicians and leading international public health experts. Some of his advisers were incandescent. “I don’t have sympathy for the government making the same mistake twice,” said a senior source on the Sage committee. “We told them quite clearly what they need to do for it to work. They don’t do that . . . It’s been wishful thinking all the way through. I think that probably characterises Boris Johnson, frankly.” "

"Vallance gave an example of what might happen if the current levels of infections were allowed to carry on doubling every week — as they appeared to be doing. This, he said, would lead to around 200-plus deaths per day by the middle of November. It was a shocking prediction that drew scathing criticism — one newspaper quoted an unnamed Tory MP describing them as Messrs “Witless and Unbalanced” for exaggerating the figures. In fact, Vallance had hugely downplayed the predicted November death figures, which would be nearer the 500 daily fatalities upper estimate he had given Johnson a few days earlier. "

"On October 30, the operation committee met again in Downing Street. Johnson, Sunak, Gove and Hancock were all present to listen to a presentation from Sir Simon Stevens, head of the NHS, who delivered an unequivocal message: hospitals would be overrun in every part of England within weeks if nothing was done.

The prime minister had no choice. He had to finally give in — despite everything he and his chancellor had said about their determination to avoid locking down. A decision was taken to announce a lockdown after the weekend. But fearing that Johnson might wobble again, someone in the prime minister’s close circle leaked the news to the The Times. The prime minister was forced to call a press conference the next day."

------------

Jesus.
    (The other two academics at that meeting other than Tegnell were Gupta and Heneghan. Such a surprise.)

It's only looking back that we can recall just how forecasts of 200 deaths a day were so thoroughly mocked by the lockdown sceptics. We went above that on the 21st of October and we are JUST about to drop below a 200-a-day seven day average now for the first time since then. We were past 350 a day on the 1st of November and past 400 a day by the end of the first week in November.

And by paying the price of those thousands upon thousands of bereaved families... they ended up fucking up the economy with an even longer and deeper lockdown, anyway. Thanks to the moronic denialists.
    [2/2]

Sorry if I missed it in your posts, but on what date were HMG still giving Tegnell, Gupta and Heneghan a hearing?
    Mid-September.
    It was thanks to them that the "circuit breaker" lockdown for early October got canned.
    Leading to the full-on second wave, letting it get out of control, and needing drastic measures to bring it back under control.

They and the Lockdown Sceptics pressure (via the Covid Recovery Group of Tory MPs) against any restrictions (so it always got worse and needed more and more restrictions) are why we've had such a hell of a winter, and why we've been in lockdown so long.

In an alternate timeline, where they weren't listened to, we locked down in October, saw off the rise, went with tougher Tiers, and kept it all under control without kids missing one day of school or the need for any full-on lockdown.

Other nations around the globe have tried circuit breaks. Not one of them has succeeded.

Call it what you like; we're talking about applying lockdown rules for a given period to bring down infection rates. And every time we've done this, infection rates have dropped.

The second you lift the "circuit break" cases instantly start rising again. And if its only 2 weeks that achieves squat since people party "last night of freedom" before the 2 weeks, then party "wahay free again" afterwards counteracting the whole point of just 2 weeks which isn't long enough to do much.

So you can't point to today's lockdown and act as if it would have all been avoidable had we just wished it away with a 2 week circuit break. 2 weeks doesn't work.

If you want a lockdown, fair enough, but then don't complain about having a lockdown. The idea a lockdown could be avoided if we'd just done one for 2 weeks then got back to normal is farcical wishful thinking.

If the 4 weeks in November worked then you can't blame today's lockdown on not having a 2 week one in October.
    A circuit breaker is slang for a short lockdown. Can a lockdown be so short as to not work because the "last night party" effect outweighs the gains? Yes. But can a lockdown be long enough to work but still short enough to be called a circuit breaker? Also yes.

How short is short enough to still be called a circuit breaker? Especially when the circuit breaker has been defined as 2 weeks.

If you say that a circuit break works, so long as you don't come out of it, then that is a lockdown not a circuit break. A circuit break only works if you can come out of it in the time stated.

Can you name any country, anywhere, which has had significant case numbers and rising cases which has seen a 2 week circuit break work?
    I'm wasn't aware we had an accepted definition of it as being of duration 2 weeks.

Link?
    The famous Drakeford one was 2 weeks, iirc.
    Yes, that one was. But is that the only circuit breaker executed by anybody during the pandemic? Quite a claim to fame for Mark Drakeford if that's the case. Future pub quiz question.
  • Options

John Swinney to face a no confidence vote tomorrow

Greens will save him , they will be on a promise.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    "The figures offer yet more proof that Covid is much deadlier than flu, which kills around 0.1 per cent of everyone infected. Not everyone in England has even had coronavirus, meaning the true infection fatality rate (IFR) of the illness will be much higher. No10's top scientists believe the overall IFR is around 0.5 per cent but the disease is a lot deadlier to the elderly."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9326909/Nearly-0-4-people-living-two-Essex-boroughs-died-Covid-pandemic-began.html
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Classy statement from Buckingham Palace
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2021
    HYUFD said:
    Yes. It reminds me of the Queen at her conciliatory best from the Covid broadcast.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Nice ambiguity there as to whether it's the allegations that are concerning, or the fact/way they've been made.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    The comments from the Royal Family seem sensible and measured to me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    It will be interesting to see how the Sussexes reply.....last time they had to have a bit of snark......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Unlike your comments on the matter
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

That doesn't specifically help Europe though as the US will likely prefer to use its spare capacity to counter Chinese vaccine diplomacy in APAC and over here our spare capacity has basically already been pledged to developing nations eligible for foreign aid.

The issue Europe has is that it underinvested from April 2020 until January 2021 and now they have got 9 months of catching up to do relative to the UK or US who both invested very heavily in domestic production and domestic supply chains to support independent manufacturing.

I don't see either the US or UK using bought spare capacity to bail out the EU, which leaves them playing catch up with their own domestic manufacturing. Something they may struggle to attract private investment for now that their export bans have been realised so it's all going to have to come from the public purse.
    With all due respect, I think you're still missing the scale of the increase in vaccine production, and that fact that the producers of vaccines are private companies.

Don't forget Novavax is manufacturing with an Indian partner, Moderna with a Swiss one, and J&J is also announcing non-US manufacturing partners in the coming weeks. CureVac has signed up Bayer and Novartis to manufacture for it. Plus there's the billion doses each from Pfizer and AZ this year.

Let's put this in context for a second, the Lonza plant in Switzerland alone will be producing close to a million doses a day from the end of April.

You are also seeing European countries go beyond the EU now. Denmark and Austria have struck deals with Israel to pick up their excess doses, to example.

The EU will be functionally done by the end of summer, because the doses exist, and these are rich countries that can afford to write checks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TOPPING said:

Dressage richly deserves its reputation as the most tedious spectacle known to mankind. It's also quite baffling: the contestants enter the arena and do their stuff, and then the judges put up scores presumably based on some criteria, but what these criteria might be is completely unfathomable. I did once attend a rodeo in Texas, which works on the same principle and is equally baffling, but it was much more entertaining, seeing as the exercises involve things like the rider leaping off the horse at high speed on to a steer, rather than having the horse lift its left foot six inches.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,195

Pulpstar said:

Not if we were to become a republic :innocent:
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

------------

Jesus.

[2/2]

Mid-September.

Link?
    The proposed SAGE circuit break was explicitly for 2 weeks. As Wales tried and it didn't work.

See the Times article Andy linked to that started this discussion.
    Yes, I get it now. I was fooled by the way you put it - Lockdowns Work. Circuit breakers Don't.

Like that was a law of science or something. But it was just you being you. It's fine.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Its a very brief statement from the palace.
  • Options

Less is more, at least that's what I tell my girlfriend.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

I imagine it will depend upon how big of a cheque the EU are prepared to write?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,895
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"The figures offer yet more proof that Covid is much deadlier than flu, which kills around 0.1 per cent of everyone infected. Not everyone in England has even had coronavirus, meaning the true infection fatality rate (IFR) of the illness will be much higher. No10's top scientists believe the overall IFR is around 0.5 per cent but the disease is a lot deadlier to the elderly."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9326909/Nearly-0-4-people-living-two-Essex-boroughs-died-Covid-pandemic-began.html

“No10's top scientists believe the overall IFR is around 0.5 per cent but the disease is a lot deadlier to the elderly.”

This ‘explanatory’ paragraph makes me wonder whether it’s the reader, or the writer, that needs a course in basic statistics.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I can say what I really think, they have to take the moral high ground but some subtle digs there too 'recollections may vary' for example
  • Options
    edited March 2021

HYUFD said:
    HYUFD is a loyal, determined footsoldier, they're allowed to be a bit rough around the edges compared to the senior commanders.

Honestly it's not a particularly classy statement, it's careful.
  • Options

Short and classy unlike the tacky US 2 hour whinge fest.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    It will be interesting to see how the Sussexes reply.....last time they had to have a bit of snark......
    They have had their five minutes and this statement was well crafted enough to be seen to be taking the allegations seriously without admitting guilt they cannot really say much in response
This discussion has been closed.