Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Until the YouGov CON 13% lead is supported by other polling then it should be treated as an outlier

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Endillion said:

Job application question: do people think it's better to "tone down" experience when applying for "entry level" positions?

No. Play it up for all you can.

The problem with recruiting entry level positions is that you are to a large extent gambling that theoretical ability will eventually translate into actual performance. I find any evidence that a candidate has already proven themselves to be incredibly reassuring.
    The worry is being overlooked due to fear of a desire to "move on" too quickly.
    That’s always my concern. But aren’t you a career changer?
    Yeah, I'm a career changer. Does that change things in your view?
    For me the key question is how do the firms view the role of paralegal.

Is it a temporary position while people seek a permanent contract (in which case you would be better than the average bear). Or is it a permanent position for people who don’t want the pressure of a full legal role?

That will dramatically impact how you should position yourself
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited March 2021

This polling is contrary to the comments of many on this forum and it seems the more Boris is attacked the more popular he becomes.

Mind you, Starmer is not helping himself with some of the positions he is taking but the 50% preferring Boris is a higher figure than many expected

Whichever way it goes, BigG, polling will always be contrary to the comments of many on this forum.
  • Options

This polling is contrary to the comments of many on this forum and it seems the more Boris is attacked the more popular he becomes.

Mind you, Starmer is not helping himself with some of the positions he is taking but the 50% preferring Boris is a higher figure than many expected

You always say this but it simply isn't true. Very few people on here have said anything other than that they have expected a Boris vaccine bounce.

That doesn't mean he cant be criticised. Just because someone may be popular it doesn't mean they are perfect.
    When have I said Boris is perfect and cannot be criticised

Indeed, I would prefer Rishi in place now but you cannot hide the fact that labour and Starmer are going backwards
    But nobody is saying that Labour and Starmer are doing anything other than going backwards.

Yet you make out like everyone here is constantly ramping the opposite - "This polling is contrary to the comments of many on this forum" – no it isn't.
    How is many everyone and yes, many on this forum cannot understand why Boris is popular
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Whichever way it goes, BigG, polling will always be contrary to the comments of many on this forum.
    Fair comment
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,216
    AlistairM said:

Here's the school testing coming in...

Cases still down on last week...

An extra 700,000 tests, but only an extra 1,000 cases, so the false positive rate cannot be higher than 1-in-700 (and then only if all the cases were false positives). Would anyone who was touting a higher figure care to comment?

Given the ONS figures on virus prevalence it looks like there's a large false negative rate (though we hope that's because the lateral flow tests only give positive results while people are infectious).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

You always say this but it simply isn't true. Very few people on here have said anything other than that they have expected a Boris vaccine bounce.

That doesn't mean he cant be criticised. Just because someone may be popular it doesn't mean they are perfect.
    When have I said Boris is perfect and cannot be criticised

Indeed, I would prefer Rishi in place now but you cannot hide the fact that labour and Starmer are going backwards
    But nobody is saying that Labour and Starmer are doing anything other than going backwards.

Yet you make out like everyone here is constantly ramping the opposite - "This polling is contrary to the comments of many on this forum" – no it isn't.
    How is many everyone and yes, many on this forum cannot understand why Boris is popular
    Like who?

Personally I don't like Boris Johnson but I acknowledge the government is doing a very good job with the vaccine rollout and I also acknowledge Labour and Starmer are currently invisible. Therefore the polling is unsurprising.

If you asked me who would make the better PM between Johnson and Starmer? I honestly don't know.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Endillion said:

Job application question: do people think it's better to "tone down" experience when applying for "entry level" positions?

The problem with recruiting entry level positions is that you are to a large extent gambling that theoretical ability will eventually translate into actual performance. I find any evidence that a candidate has already proven themselves to be incredibly reassuring.

Is it a temporary position while people seek a permanent contract (in which case you would be better than the average bear). Or is it a permanent position for people who don’t want the pressure of a full legal role?

Truthfully, I don't know the answer to that. @DougSeal any thoughts?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    And the orange buffoon and his sycophantic supporters liked to make out that they were tough on China. 😕
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Oh dear, I see Piers Moron, so popular with the twitterati over the past year, not so popular now. Now calling for his sacking, and an online petition of course.

It would be amusing if this issue brought him down. I'm unclear if there'll be much sympathy for him regardless of views on MM.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,216
    Below 10,000 patients in hospital now. That's a good round number to have gone past.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

Charles said:

Charles said:

Endillion said:

Truthfully, I don't know the answer to that. @DougSeal any thoughts?
    If the firm is looking for a temporary paralegal it would say so - otherwise assume it is permenant. In either case it is absolutely normal career path to go from paralegal to trainee. Many firms will be expecting it TBH. Indeed if you were to say "I want to be a career paralegal" I would be very suspicious!
  • Options

AlistairM said:

An extra 700,000 tests, but only an extra 1,000 cases, so the false positive rate cannot be higher than 1-in-700 (and then only if all the cases were false positives). Would anyone who was touting a higher figure care to comment?

Given the ONS figures on virus prevalence it looks like there's a large false negative rate (though we hope that's because the lateral flow tests only give positive results while people are infectious).
    I'm not sure that the ONS figures on virus prevalence are not out of date. Not as good but Zoe has shown big falls for the last couple of days.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    The Redfield & Wilton poll is good for the Tories but does tend to suggest that Yougov's 32% Labour share was too low.
  • Options

Johnson’s decision [not to lock down] flew in the face of all the advice over the summer from the World Bank, the cross-party group of politicians and leading international public health experts. Some of his advisers were incandescent. “I don’t have sympathy for the government making the same mistake twice,” said a senior source on the Sage committee. “We told them quite clearly what they need to do for it to work. They don’t do that . . . It’s been wishful thinking all the way through. I think that probably characterises Boris Johnson, frankly.” "

"Vallance gave an example of what might happen if the current levels of infections were allowed to carry on doubling every week — as they appeared to be doing. This, he said, would lead to around 200-plus deaths per day by the middle of November. It was a shocking prediction that drew scathing criticism — one newspaper quoted an unnamed Tory MP describing them as Messrs “Witless and Unbalanced” for exaggerating the figures. In fact, Vallance had hugely downplayed the predicted November death figures, which would be nearer the 500 daily fatalities upper estimate he had given Johnson a few days earlier. "

"On October 30, the operation committee met again in Downing Street. Johnson, Sunak, Gove and Hancock were all present to listen to a presentation from Sir Simon Stevens, head of the NHS, who delivered an unequivocal message: hospitals would be overrun in every part of England within weeks if nothing was done.

The prime minister had no choice. He had to finally give in — despite everything he and his chancellor had said about their determination to avoid locking down. A decision was taken to announce a lockdown after the weekend. But fearing that Johnson might wobble again, someone in the prime minister’s close circle leaked the news to the The Times. The prime minister was forced to call a press conference the next day."

------------

Jesus.
    The thing is, we all saw this coming at the time.
    (The other two academics at that meeting other than Tegnell were Gupta and Heneghan. Such a surprise.)

It's only looking back that we can recall just how forecasts of 200 deaths a day were so thoroughly mocked by the lockdown sceptics. We went above that on the 21st of October and we are JUST about to drop below a 200-a-day seven day average now for the first time since then. We were past 350 a day on the 1st of November and past 400 a day by the end of the first week in November.

Thanks a bunch, Heneghan, Tegnell, Gupta, Sunak, and the Lockdown Sceptics.
    And by paying the price of those thousands upon thousands of bereaved families... they ended up fucking up the economy with an even longer and deeper lockdown, anyway. Thanks to the moronic denialists.
    [2/2]

Sorry if I missed it in your posts, but on what date were HMG still giving Tegnell, Gupta and Heneghan a hearing?
    Mid-September.
    It was thanks to them that the "circuit breaker" lockdown for early October got canned.
    Leading to the full-on second wave, letting it get out of control, and needing drastic measures to bring it back under control.

They and the Lockdown Sceptics pressure (via the Covid Recovery Group of Tory MPs) against any restrictions (so it always got worse and needed more and more restrictions) are why we've had such a hell of a winter, and why we've been in lockdown so long.

In an alternate timeline, where they weren't listened to, we locked down in October, saw off the rise, went with tougher Tiers, and kept it all under control without kids missing one day of school or the need for any full-on lockdown.

This is the Sunak/Gupta/Heneghan lockdown - needed thanks to their idiocy.
    Except circuit breakers don't work.

Wales tried the circuit break, it was a miserable failure.

Other nations around the globe have tried circuit breaks. Not one of them has succeeded.

So other than that, good point, well done.
    They do work. It's coming out of them that doesn't work as well.
    The four week circuit break in November brought it down.
    The nine weeks since early January has worked as well.

Call it what you like; we're talking about applying lockdown rules for a given period to bring down infection rates. And every time we've done this, infection rates have dropped.
    Lockdowns work, circuit breaks don't. That's the point.

The second you lift the "circuit break" cases instantly start rising again. And if its only 2 weeks that achieves squat since people party "last night of freedom" before the 2 weeks, then party "wahay free again" afterwards counteracting the whole point of just 2 weeks which isn't long enough to do much.

So you can't point to today's lockdown and act as if it would have all been avoidable had we just wished it away with a 2 week circuit break. 2 weeks doesn't work.

If you want a lockdown, fair enough, but then don't complain about having a lockdown. The idea a lockdown could be avoided if we'd just done one for 2 weeks then got back to normal is farcical wishful thinking.

If the 4 weeks in November worked then you can't blame today's lockdown on not having a 2 week one in October.
    A circuit breaker is slang for a short lockdown. Can a lockdown be so short as to not work because the "last night party" effect outweighs the gains? Yes. But can a lockdown be long enough to work but still short enough to be called a circuit breaker? Also yes.

Ergo "lockdowns work, circuit breaks don't" = tilt.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

They are just shooting the messenger, in this case the messenger explaining why restrictions can't be lifted sooner.

--AS

No one is shooting the messenger. I am just wary of potential scenarios. One of which is following the science to an extended lockdown.

Why? Because for some people there is no lower limit to the ok number of Covid deaths.

You'd have to be a particular kind of naive not to include it in your list of scenarios.
    Whitty gave a benchmark, about 20,000.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

AlistairM said:

I think the ONS is overstating numbers of people with active virus - the old PCR amplification issue. I suspect the number of infectious or active cases is lower than their estimate.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

Why is Whitty not challenged with evidence from America that the link between covid and lockdown is not what he and the rest of the SAGE committee manifestly assume it is? ie a thermostatic central heating link?

Or on the models. Why did they get Sweden so utterly wrong if the model is an accurate reflection of real life?
    The models are (if correctly specified) an accurate (within predictable uncertainty) reflection of what happens if the assumptions underlying the model are true.

The models from early on set out predictions on what would happen if various actions were taken/not taken. They assumed, largely, that in the absence of legal restrictions, people would behave as normal. Sweden diverged from the models because although few restrictions were put in early on the government did ask people to reduce doing certain things and the Swedes, being Swedes, did so (the model may still have been wrong in many ways, but results in Sweden being less bad than a modelled scenario of life as usual is not evidence for the model being wrong when life and actions were far from usual.

Early on, that's more or less what you can do - model what happens if you mostly stop certain activities and what happens in you carry on. You could of course model assuming that you ban nothing, but levels of x decrease by 40% anyway due to people taking precautions, but there's no real evidence base to get that 40%.

What we've seen so far will probably help to fine tune "worst case" models in future as we'll have a better idea of how bad things can get before people self-impose restrictions and avert the naive worst case.
    @rcs1000 is always saying, when discussing formal lockdowns, that, and I paraphrase: "the people will do it anyway". And he says it to prove that one way or another there will be lockdown, whether legislatively or voluntarily.

But this is to miss the point. Given the huge restriction of our freedoms imposed upon us by the government, I would be much happier with a voluntary one. Would it work? Not sure. That is the crux of the govt action. They don't trust us. Not in a conspiracy theory kind of way, just that they don't trust us to do the "right" thing.

As @eek said, upthread:

"Many states are fully open because well it's the States and freedom trumps everything else."

I don't know if he realised the irony of his post because it could be read as disparaging - but that's the thing - freedom trumps if not everything then a hell of a lot.
    The difference between an official lock down and an unofficial one is that the government can be reasonably expected make some effort to compensate businesses and workers affected by the former while in the latter case many more will just go bust.
    That is very true. Plus being bloody-minded Brits we are as likely as not to ignore it.

But there is something that sits very uneasily with legislative restrictions on behaviour.
    I'm not happy with the government legislating over who can enter my private home. But this is an abstract unhappiness, since I'm not inclined to let anyone in anyway due to the pandemic.

I think there has been decades of governments creating new crimes to an excessive degree, so perhaps it should not be surprising that their response to a pandemic is to reach for the law, rather than to use the power of persuasion and leadership to encourage people to follow advice.

It's very unfortunate that every public figure I am aware of who has argued against the government legislating on access to my home has done so by talking complete and dangerous cobblers about the virus.
    I think *deep breath* that Steve Baker has spoken a lot of sense about this. He has, in essence, been saying vaccinate the vulnerable and then ease the restrictions - not been following closely enough to determine to what extent/details, etc but that seems about right.

But also, when faced with the government's behaviour, it is imo right and proper that we should also have polemicists even such as Toby and JHB (and of course our very own contrarian). When it comes to freedom it is all hands on deck.
    Unless something goes catastrophically wrong it is going to be virtually impossible for the Government to resile from its latest roadmap.
    What do you base that assumption on? The government could easily get away with an extension. Huge numbers of people, including voices such as yourself, are foursquare behind their strategy. The logic of that strategy facilitates an extension.

Holding the government to account involves you relying on those people you and many on here have heaped scorn on for a year.
    Not a chance could they extend without any data to justify it.

The only question is if they resist bringing the end to lockdown forward as I think they should and they're currently resisting. There's no chance at all of it going back. There's no call for it, no evidence for it, no demand for it.
    We have Whitty soundbiting* extra surges later in the year some time. The govt has been following the science and is bound by data, not dates. I mean I've no idea if they would or they wouldn't, but everything is in place for the data and the science to dictate that June is too early.

As I said, my $0.02 is that it is unlikely, but given the free ride the govt has had to date it's not beyond the realms of the possible.

Take the current planned end to lockdown. June. Too late, say you. Just right, say many others. Same if it was September. Too late you would say. Just right, we're following the data/science would say millions of others.

*apols for verbing "soundbite".
    Its worth listening to what Whitty says in full. He's saying there will be extra surges later but that they will need to be lived with and the vaccine will prevent deaths.

To clarify I'm not saying the June one is too late. The June one includes reopening nightclubs etc and that should be done perhaps three weeks after all adults have been vaccinated, including 18-21 year olds going clubbing. So June might be right for that. Maybe it should be brought forwards, but its a bit early to answer that definitively yet.

The one I think is ridiculous is reopening indoor hospitality in May. That should be done with the outdoor hospitality in April.

There is a world of difference in reopening a restaurant, and reopening a nightclub.
    Yes. Whitty says the ratio of cases to deaths will be hugely different on account of the vaccinations. But he also says that it will occur in those unvaccinated. Hence the surge.

The building blocks are in place for the govt to "follow the science" by saying we can't afford a surge.

And your ridiculous might be, say, @FrancisUrquhart or @Andy_Cooke's too early (you'll of course have to ask them - @Andy is online now I think). Given the past year there will always be people who are happy to sit out and wait longer. Plenty of them on PB.
    And pour scorn on those who say there are elements in the governing regime who either do not want lockdown to end or do not want the abhorrent threat of its brutal sanction to end.
    What in your view is a suitable response to those who say there are elements in the governing regime who either do not want lockdown to end or do not want the abhorrent threat of its brutal sanction to end?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

Why is Whitty not challenged with evidence from America that the link between covid and lockdown is not what he and the rest of the SAGE committee manifestly assume it is? ie a thermostatic central heating link?

Or on the models. Why did they get Sweden so utterly wrong if the model is an accurate reflection of real life?
    The models are (if correctly specified) an accurate (within predictable uncertainty) reflection of what happens if the assumptions underlying the model are true.

The models from early on set out predictions on what would happen if various actions were taken/not taken. They assumed, largely, that in the absence of legal restrictions, people would behave as normal. Sweden diverged from the models because although few restrictions were put in early on the government did ask people to reduce doing certain things and the Swedes, being Swedes, did so (the model may still have been wrong in many ways, but results in Sweden being less bad than a modelled scenario of life as usual is not evidence for the model being wrong when life and actions were far from usual.

Early on, that's more or less what you can do - model what happens if you mostly stop certain activities and what happens in you carry on. You could of course model assuming that you ban nothing, but levels of x decrease by 40% anyway due to people taking precautions, but there's no real evidence base to get that 40%.

What we've seen so far will probably help to fine tune "worst case" models in future as we'll have a better idea of how bad things can get before people self-impose restrictions and avert the naive worst case.
    @rcs1000 is always saying, when discussing formal lockdowns, that, and I paraphrase: "the people will do it anyway". And he says it to prove that one way or another there will be lockdown, whether legislatively or voluntarily.

But this is to miss the point. Given the huge restriction of our freedoms imposed upon us by the government, I would be much happier with a voluntary one. Would it work? Not sure. That is the crux of the govt action. They don't trust us. Not in a conspiracy theory kind of way, just that they don't trust us to do the "right" thing.

As @eek said, upthread:

"Many states are fully open because well it's the States and freedom trumps everything else."

I don't know if he realised the irony of his post because it could be read as disparaging - but that's the thing - freedom trumps if not everything then a hell of a lot.
    The difference between an official lock down and an unofficial one is that the government can be reasonably expected make some effort to compensate businesses and workers affected by the former while in the latter case many more will just go bust.
    That is very true. Plus being bloody-minded Brits we are as likely as not to ignore it.

But there is something that sits very uneasily with legislative restrictions on behaviour.
    I'm not happy with the government legislating over who can enter my private home. But this is an abstract unhappiness, since I'm not inclined to let anyone in anyway due to the pandemic.

I think there has been decades of governments creating new crimes to an excessive degree, so perhaps it should not be surprising that their response to a pandemic is to reach for the law, rather than to use the power of persuasion and leadership to encourage people to follow advice.

It's very unfortunate that every public figure I am aware of who has argued against the government legislating on access to my home has done so by talking complete and dangerous cobblers about the virus.
    I think *deep breath* that Steve Baker has spoken a lot of sense about this. He has, in essence, been saying vaccinate the vulnerable and then ease the restrictions - not been following closely enough to determine to what extent/details, etc but that seems about right.

But also, when faced with the government's behaviour, it is imo right and proper that we should also have polemicists even such as Toby and JHB (and of course our very own contrarian). When it comes to freedom it is all hands on deck.
    Unless something goes catastrophically wrong it is going to be virtually impossible for the Government to resile from its latest roadmap.
    What do you base that assumption on? The government could easily get away with an extension. Huge numbers of people, including voices such as yourself, are foursquare behind their strategy. The logic of that strategy facilitates an extension.

Holding the government to account involves you relying on those people you and many on here have heaped scorn on for a year.

The only question is if they resist bringing the end to lockdown forward as I think they should and they're currently resisting. There's no chance at all of it going back. There's no call for it, no evidence for it, no demand for it.
    We have Whitty soundbiting* extra surges later in the year some time. The govt has been following the science and is bound by data, not dates. I mean I've no idea if they would or they wouldn't, but everything is in place for the data and the science to dictate that June is too early.

As I said, my $0.02 is that it is unlikely, but given the free ride the govt has had to date it's not beyond the realms of the possible.

Take the current planned end to lockdown. June. Too late, say you. Just right, say many others. Same if it was September. Too late you would say. Just right, we're following the data/science would say millions of others.

Its worth listening to what Whitty says in full. He's saying there will be extra surges later but that they will need to be lived with and the vaccine will prevent deaths.

To clarify I'm not saying the June one is too late. The June one includes reopening nightclubs etc and that should be done perhaps three weeks after all adults have been vaccinated, including 18-21 year olds going clubbing. So June might be right for that. Maybe it should be brought forwards, but its a bit early to answer that definitively yet.

The one I think is ridiculous is reopening indoor hospitality in May. That should be done with the outdoor hospitality in April.

There is a world of difference in reopening a restaurant, and reopening a nightclub.
    Yes. Whitty says the ratio of cases to deaths will be hugely different on account of the vaccinations. But he also says that it will occur in those unvaccinated. Hence the surge.

The building blocks are in place for the govt to "follow the science" by saying we can't afford a surge.

And your ridiculous might be, say, @FrancisUrquhart or @Andy_Cooke's too early (you'll of course have to ask them - @Andy is online now I think). Given the past year there will always be people who are happy to sit out and wait longer. Plenty of them on PB.
    I think the current timeline is either pretty close to right, or even may have the potential to be brought earlier - depending on how cases and hospitalisations go.
    The acid test on that will be the next three weeks. If R craters even with schools back (which isn't impossible), we could be very much on the sunny side of what's possible.
    Let's see.
    And leave it another week or so to see the impact of Secondary Schools and Universities, as per the rise in September/October.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

gealbhan said:

TimT said:

Another very poor day of vaccination numbers. This bumper March thing hasn't got off to a very good start.

From the health service letter referenced the other days, the "bumper March thing" starts the week beginning the 15th.

It was quite specific that supplies would be poor for the week starting the 8th - this week.

EDIT - https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/03/C1165-COVID-19-vaccination-deployment-next-steps-and-plans-for-weeks-of-8-and-15-March.pdf

FURTHER EDIT - "From 11 March, vaccine supply will increase substantially and be sustained at a higher level for several weeks. Therefore, from the week of 15 March we are now asking systems to plan and support all vaccination centres and local vaccination services to deliver around twice the level of vaccine available in the week of 1 March."
    And if 250,000 is our definition of a poor day now, is that not a reflection of just how well things have gone to date?

Clearly this is a supply issue, which we were warned about and which we were told would be fixed in mid-March
    Worth noting that the figures for 1st-7th March were 2,428,631 total vaccinations

So they are saying it will be 4.8m a week or so... 700k a day average.... which is not far off a "year" of the population per day.
    Its essentially an entire 5-year cohort per week isn't it?

We should be completed vaccinating the over 50s and doing 40-somethings before the end of March. Add 3 weeks for middle of April and there's no excuse not to open indoors by then.
    Yet even with the vaccination, it comes back and surges again. Apparently. According to top scientists. 😕

“ Virus will surge at some point - either in the summer after the gradual easing of lockdown - or as a result of the seasonal effect, in autumn and winter.”

How’s that happen then?
    For the same reason the flu comes back every year.

We will just have to live with it, as he said and explained.
    We're still needing to explain the concept of disease?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Johnson’s decision [not to lock down] flew in the face of all the advice over the summer from the World Bank, the cross-party group of politicians and leading international public health experts. Some of his advisers were incandescent. “I don’t have sympathy for the government making the same mistake twice,” said a senior source on the Sage committee. “We told them quite clearly what they need to do for it to work. They don’t do that . . . It’s been wishful thinking all the way through. I think that probably characterises Boris Johnson, frankly.” "

"Vallance gave an example of what might happen if the current levels of infections were allowed to carry on doubling every week — as they appeared to be doing. This, he said, would lead to around 200-plus deaths per day by the middle of November. It was a shocking prediction that drew scathing criticism — one newspaper quoted an unnamed Tory MP describing them as Messrs “Witless and Unbalanced” for exaggerating the figures. In fact, Vallance had hugely downplayed the predicted November death figures, which would be nearer the 500 daily fatalities upper estimate he had given Johnson a few days earlier. "

"On October 30, the operation committee met again in Downing Street. Johnson, Sunak, Gove and Hancock were all present to listen to a presentation from Sir Simon Stevens, head of the NHS, who delivered an unequivocal message: hospitals would be overrun in every part of England within weeks if nothing was done.

The prime minister had no choice. He had to finally give in — despite everything he and his chancellor had said about their determination to avoid locking down. A decision was taken to announce a lockdown after the weekend. But fearing that Johnson might wobble again, someone in the prime minister’s close circle leaked the news to the The Times. The prime minister was forced to call a press conference the next day."

------------

Jesus.
    (The other two academics at that meeting other than Tegnell were Gupta and Heneghan. Such a surprise.)

It's only looking back that we can recall just how forecasts of 200 deaths a day were so thoroughly mocked by the lockdown sceptics. We went above that on the 21st of October and we are JUST about to drop below a 200-a-day seven day average now for the first time since then. We were past 350 a day on the 1st of November and past 400 a day by the end of the first week in November.

And by paying the price of those thousands upon thousands of bereaved families... they ended up fucking up the economy with an even longer and deeper lockdown, anyway. Thanks to the moronic denialists.
    [2/2]

Sorry if I missed it in your posts, but on what date were HMG still giving Tegnell, Gupta and Heneghan a hearing?
    Mid-September.
    It was thanks to them that the "circuit breaker" lockdown for early October got canned.
    Leading to the full-on second wave, letting it get out of control, and needing drastic measures to bring it back under control.

They and the Lockdown Sceptics pressure (via the Covid Recovery Group of Tory MPs) against any restrictions (so it always got worse and needed more and more restrictions) are why we've had such a hell of a winter, and why we've been in lockdown so long.

In an alternate timeline, where they weren't listened to, we locked down in October, saw off the rise, went with tougher Tiers, and kept it all under control without kids missing one day of school or the need for any full-on lockdown.

Other nations around the globe have tried circuit breaks. Not one of them has succeeded.

Call it what you like; we're talking about applying lockdown rules for a given period to bring down infection rates. And every time we've done this, infection rates have dropped.

The second you lift the "circuit break" cases instantly start rising again. And if its only 2 weeks that achieves squat since people party "last night of freedom" before the 2 weeks, then party "wahay free again" afterwards counteracting the whole point of just 2 weeks which isn't long enough to do much.

So you can't point to today's lockdown and act as if it would have all been avoidable had we just wished it away with a 2 week circuit break. 2 weeks doesn't work.

If you want a lockdown, fair enough, but then don't complain about having a lockdown. The idea a lockdown could be avoided if we'd just done one for 2 weeks then got back to normal is farcical wishful thinking.

If the 4 weeks in November worked then you can't blame today's lockdown on not having a 2 week one in October.
    A circuit breaker is slang for a short lockdown. Can a lockdown be so short as to not work because the "last night party" effect outweighs the gains? Yes. But can a lockdown be long enough to work but still short enough to be called a circuit breaker? Also yes.

How short is short enough to still be called a circuit breaker? Especially when the circuit breaker has been defined as 2 weeks.

If you say that a circuit break works, so long as you don't come out of it, then that is a lockdown not a circuit break. A circuit break only works if you can come out of it in the time stated.

Can you name any country, anywhere, which has had significant case numbers and rising cases which has seen a 2 week circuit break work?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

I think the current timeline is either pretty close to right, or even may have the potential to be brought earlier - depending on how cases and hospitalisations go.
    The acid test on that will be the next three weeks. If R craters even with schools back (which isn't impossible), we could be very much on the sunny side of what's possible.
    Let's see.
    And leave it another week or so to see the impact of Secondary Schools and Universities, as per the rise in September/October.
    September/October had universities and Fresher Flu and the aftermath of foreign holidays.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    justin124 said:

The Redfield & Wilton poll is good for the Tories but does tend to suggest that Yougov's 32% Labour share was too low.

True to form, always sees a positive for Labour in a poll...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2021
    Mango said:

Jesus.

[2/2]

Johnson fucked it again, driven by ideology.

There will be no accountability.
    It wasn't ideology in this case. It was a refusal to accept an inconvenient fact, which caused him to dither. That's a character flaw, not an ideology. A very serious character flaw in a PM, and most especially so during a pandemic.
  • Options

MaxPB said:
    Direction of travel clear.....
    It is. But do you not think you might be peaking too early?

We all remember Crisp.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    felix said:

Oh dear, I see Piers Moron, so popular with the twitterati over the past year, not so popular now. Now calling for his sacking, and an online petition of course.

It would be amusing if this issue brought him down. I'm unclear if there'll be much sympathy for him regardless of views on MM.
    Zzzzzz
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kle4 said:

gealbhan said:

TimT said:

Another very poor day of vaccination numbers. This bumper March thing hasn't got off to a very good start.

From the health service letter referenced the other days, the "bumper March thing" starts the week beginning the 15th.

It was quite specific that supplies would be poor for the week starting the 8th - this week.

EDIT - https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/03/C1165-COVID-19-vaccination-deployment-next-steps-and-plans-for-weeks-of-8-and-15-March.pdf

FURTHER EDIT - "From 11 March, vaccine supply will increase substantially and be sustained at a higher level for several weeks. Therefore, from the week of 15 March we are now asking systems to plan and support all vaccination centres and local vaccination services to deliver around twice the level of vaccine available in the week of 1 March."
    And if 250,000 is our definition of a poor day now, is that not a reflection of just how well things have gone to date?

Clearly this is a supply issue, which we were warned about and which we were told would be fixed in mid-March
    Worth noting that the figures for 1st-7th March were 2,428,631 total vaccinations

So they are saying it will be 4.8m a week or so... 700k a day average.... which is not far off a "year" of the population per day.

We should be completed vaccinating the over 50s and doing 40-somethings before the end of March. Add 3 weeks for middle of April and there's no excuse not to open indoors by then.
    Yet even with the vaccination, it comes back and surges again. Apparently. According to top scientists. 😕

“ Virus will surge at some point - either in the summer after the gradual easing of lockdown - or as a result of the seasonal effect, in autumn and winter.”

How’s that happen then?

Actually, when a run workshops on infection control for physicians, nurses and other healthcare workers, yes, I feel a need to start by explaining disease.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. For those who remmber Nicky Gavron who stood for Mayor of london her daughter Sarah is up for a Bafta for her film for 'Rocks'. An excellent film highly recommended. Like her other films it has a strong social conscience as you would expect from someone with her background.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    justin124 said:

Labour have been on the rocky slope ever since Brown tried first to destabilise Blair and then took over from him. Blame it all on Brown... it all stems from him.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,746
    Floater said:
    A lot of timid folk, such as myself, voted for the status quo in 2016. It stands to reason, therefore, that we would now tend to vote to stay out, rather than repeating the tortuous negotiations of the past 4 years. On the other hand, a few of those who voted Leave are lifelong radicals always on the lookout for something to change. It's hard to see how rejoining the EU would satisfy their craving.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

This is lucky is it not...........
    Records of meetings between Nicola Sturgeon, permanent secretary Leslie Evans and the Scottish Government’s legal counsel about the investigation into Alex Salmond cannot be found, John Swinney has confirmed. https://bit.ly/2N6wz20

Shameful.

I don't understand this. Surely, the external counsel also took their own notes of the meeting. Are they in on the conspiracy? If not, why has the Council not asked Swinney to seek Counsel's notes of the meeting in lieu of the government's notes? I presume they cannot claim client privilege in these circumstances.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Labour have been on the rocky slope ever since Brown tried first to destabilise Blair and then took over from him. Blame it all on Brown... it all stems from him.
    Before long there could be retired people who have never in their lifetime known a Labour election winner not called Blair.

And Labour repudiate Blair.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    justin124 said:

EMA now shows Tories on 41.9%, Labour on 36.1%.
    That's a lead of nearly 6% for the Tories.
    Tory overall majority of 28

• Options

kinabalu said:

------------

Jesus.

[2/2]

Mid-September.

How short is short enough to still be called a circuit breaker? Especially when the circuit breaker has been defined as 2 weeks.

If you say that a circuit break works, so long as you don't come out of it, then that is a lockdown not a circuit break. A circuit break only works if you can come out of it in the time stated.

Can you name any country, anywhere, which has had significant case numbers and rising cases which has seen a 2 week circuit break work?
    I'm wasn't aware we had an accepted definition of it as being of duration 2 weeks.

Link?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

Let's see.
    September/October had universities and Fresher Flu and the aftermath of foreign holidays.
    Exactly - University students won't be returning for another couple of weeks (after the Easter vac) and we need to wait to see the impact of that. Hopefully, the Sept/October issue was driven by all of that coupled to the holiday travel (both local and overseas), and not just the mass movement of students around the country.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Seems correct to me, if the election were tomorrow.
  • Options
    TimT said:

kle4 said:

gealbhan said:

TimT said:

How’s that happen then?

Actually, when a run workshops on infection control for physicians, nurses and other healthcare workers, yes, I feel a need to start by explaining disease.
    What, that they exist?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

------------

Jesus.

[2/2]

Mid-September.

I'm wasn't aware we had an accepted definition of it as being of duration 2 weeks.

Link?
    The proposed SAGE circuit break was explicitly for 2 weeks. As Wales tried and it didn't work.

See the Times article Andy linked to that started this discussion.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

Let's see.
    Exactly - University students won't be returning for another couple of weeks (after the Easter vac) and we need to wait to see the impact of that. Hopefully, the Sept/October issue was driven by all of that coupled to the holiday travel (both local and overseas), and not just the mass movement of students around the country.
    Actually some university students are already returning, but not in huge numbers. Some people have returned on the sly during lockdown, and some courses are again being taught on campus this week.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,205

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

Let's see.
    and seasonality.
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. For those who remmber Nicky Gavron who stood for Mayor of london her daughter Sarah is up for a Bafta for her film for 'Rocks'. An excellent film highly recommended. Like her other films it has a strong social conscience as you would expect from someone with her background.

Is 'strong social conscience' an euphemism for beating you over the head with a stick storyline?

Personally, I have nothing against stories with a strong social conscience, but invariably I find those with a strong social conscience who take to storytelling end up using it as a sledgehammer rather than a seed.
  • Options

Floater said:
    A lot of timid folk, such as myself, voted for the status quo in 2016. It stands to reason, therefore, that we would now tend to vote to stay out, rather than repeating the tortuous negotiations of the past 4 years. On the other hand, a few of those who voted Leave are lifelong radicals always on the lookout for something to change. It's hard to see how rejoining the EU would satisfy their craving.
    Yes, and there were many like you. Leavers, really, but too wussy to vote for it. This is why 52/48 does not sum up the result. It wasn't, in truth, that close. The true mood of the nation was clear Leave. It was a mood landslide.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562

AlistairM said:

I think the ONS is overstating numbers of people with active virus - the old PCR amplification issue. I suspect the number of infectious or active cases is lower than their estimate.
    The rapid tests being used in schools may give a much better sense of the trend (if not the absolute numbers).
    They will pick up only active infection, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic (which PCR will not see, as most asymptomatic individuals won't get tested), and any growth or fall in numbers ought to be rapidly picked up.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,505
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

------------

Jesus.

[2/2]

Mid-September.

Link?
    The famous Drakeford one was 2 weeks, iirc.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Since the last 4 polls in the row have the Tories above that it does seem that there's some significant lag right now in the EMA.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

Let's see.
    Actually some university students are already returning, but not in huge numbers. Some people have returned on the sly during lockdown, and some courses are again being taught on campus this week.
    Durham is surprisingly full of students - but given the choice of at home with parents or in the house you are paying for with mates I can see the attraction.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Roger said:

Is 'strong social conscience' an euphemism for beating you over the head with a stick storyline?

Personally, I have nothing against stories with a strong social conscience, but invariably I find those with a strong social conscience who take to storytelling end up using it as a sledgehammer rather than a seed.
    The plot synopsis sounds rather cliched. Poor single parent black family, then abandoned by their troubled mother, kids try everything to not get taken into care.

Sounds like something GPT3 would come up with.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

------------

Jesus.

[2/2]

Mid-September.

Link?
    The talk at the time was specifically of a "two week circuit breaker".

See:

www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4038
  • Options
    eek said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

Let's see.
    Durham is surprisingly full of students - but given the choice of at home with parents or in the house you are paying for with mates I can see the attraction.
    Yeah, that seems to be the rational. "Why keep living with my parents when I could be living in a house with my mates that I'm paying for anyway?"
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

The RedfieldWilton poll gives 68 majority
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

The rapid tests being used in schools may give a much better sense of the trend (if not the absolute numbers).
    They will pick up only active infection, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic (which PCR will not see, as most asymptomatic individuals won't get tested), and any growth or fall in numbers ought to be rapidly picked up.
    There has been a lot of moaning about these tests, but if nothing else testing hundreds of thousands of children a day, who are going to be mixing more than anyone else, has got to be useful for filling in the blanks that some of the other testing misses.
  • Options

eek said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

As @eek said, upthread:

Let's see.
    Yeah, that seems to be the rational. "Why keep living with my parents when I could be living in a house with my mates that I'm paying for anyway?"
    And going back in dribs and drabs while pubs are closed won't have the debauchery associated with Freshers Week.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Roger said:

The difference between truly great movies and Oscar bait.

Not that a movie needs to be subtle (the end of Blackkklansman springs to mind). But at least here Roger led with it being an excellent film, then talked about social conscience - it's when people go the other way round that I'd be suspicious.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

AlistairM said:

Well, that's a bloody encouraging result.
    It's got to be plausible that we're now picking up a majority of infectious people in the case numbers.
    In which case, if most of those do self-isolate - well. Makes it very difficult indeed for the virus if that happens.
  • Options
    And so it begins.

How many days before we are being told the roadmap is on hold due to a spike in cases?

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1369301855348666376
  • Options
    felix said:

It won't bring him down. He'll be loving it. There are 4 little words that he values above all else. That he lives and breathes for. That keep his pecker pointing skywards and the moolah pouring into his groaning bank account.

"Piers Morgan is trending."
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

I did not vote Labour in 2019 - nor did I do so at the elections held from 1997 to 2010 inclusive. It is,however, worth reflecting that Labour's 36% given by Redfield Wilton matches Blair's share in 2005 - and is very close to what Cameron polled in 2010 and 2015.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

kle4 said:

gealbhan said:

TimT said:

How’s that happen then?

What, that they exist?
    Germ Theory, i.e transmission and pathogenicity. The chain of infection, modes of transmission, portals of entry and exit, molecular basis of disease (and decontamination).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,639
    As noted above - testing!

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    TimT said:

malcolmg said:

Records of meetings between Nicola Sturgeon, permanent secretary Leslie Evans and the Scottish Government’s legal counsel about the investigation into Alex Salmond cannot be found, John Swinney has confirmed. https://bit.ly/2N6wz20

Shameful.

I don't understand this. Surely, the external counsel also took their own notes of the meeting. Are they in on the conspiracy? If not, why has the Council not asked Swinney to seek Counsel's notes of the meeting in lieu of the government's notes? I presume they cannot claim client privilege in these circumstances.
    I would not be surprised if they could claim privilege
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

felix said:

It won't bring him down. He'll be loving it. There are 4 little words that he values above all else. That he lives and breathes for. That keep his pecker pointing skywards and the moolah pouring into his groaning bank account.

I've said before I have a weird respect for Piers Morgan. I've been aware of him as a person for nearly 20 years and in all that time it seems as though everyone hates him, yet he's managed to have what appears to be a successful and diverse career in that time.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I did not vote Labour in 2019 - nor did I do so at the elections held from 1997 to 2010 inclusive. It is,however, worth reflecting that Labour's 36% given by Redfield Wilton matches Blair's share in 2005 - and is very close to what Cameron polled in 2010 and 2015.
    I never said you voted for them, but you have a long history of always seeing positives for Labour in any poll.....its as predictable as hearing Boris has had another affair.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:

TimT said:

malcolmg said:

Shameful.

Counsel might, but surely if the government waived privilege they'd have no basis on which to object?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

I've said before I have a weird respect for Piers Morgan. I've been aware of him as a person for nearly 20 years and in all that time it seems as though everyone hates him, yet he's managed to have what appears to be a successful and diverse career in that time.
    And all his baggage, he somehow manages never to get cancelled for long, popping up again in another top quality position. Mirror, sacked, CNN sacked, oh look he is back again with GMB.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

It's got to be plausible that we're now picking up a majority of infectious people in the case numbers.
    In which case, if most of those do self-isolate - well. Makes it very difficult indeed for the virus if that happens.
    We have not reached herd immunity but that's not a switch that gets flipped suddenly. Around a third of England has been infected at some point, add the vaccinated, and the ability to transmit is severely hampered. There have been two solid falls in the Zoe app the last couple of days which is mighty encouraging.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,912
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

How is Evans still in a job?

One wonders , got a new contract and pay rise as well after it , does make you wonder.
    PS: Last week she said she always shreds her notebooks on a very regular basis as well.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

malcolmg said:

Shameful.

Counsel might, but surely if the government waived privilege they'd have no basis on which to object?
    The government is doing all it can to avoid handing out this info......
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979

And so it begins.

How many days before we are being told the roadmap is on hold due to a spike in cases?

Not long now, quite possibly. There remains a complete obsession with cases over hospitalisations and deaths. This really needs to be talked through properly by government. It hasn't been.
  • Options

And so it begins.

This story, if true, tells me they are doing the testing in the wrong place. Why were the teacher and other pupils sent home? If they tested outside the building before entry, positives could be sent home without impacting everyone else in the class.
  • Options

Crikey! And 231 very low for a Tuesday. We could be looking at daily averages sub 100 within a fortnight.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

malcolmg said:

Shameful.

Yes, but my question was why has the Committee not asked for this to happen?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I never said you voted for them, but you have a long history of always seeing positives for Labour in any poll.....its as predictable as hearing Boris has had another affair.
    That's ...very.. predictable.!
  • Options

And so it begins.

Why is she blaming the government for this and not the school, given the DfE's line is that the PCR test trumps the LTF if its negative? 😕

Oh actually look who the Tweet comes from. Nevermind. 🙄
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,303
    kinabalu said:

Floater said:
    Yes, and there were many like you. Leavers, really, but too wussy to vote for it. This is why 52/48 does not sum up the result. It wasn't, in truth, that close. The true mood of the nation was clear Leave. It was a mood landslide.
    39% is actually an amazingly high number for re-join, considering we'd be re-joining on massively worse terms, from our standpoint, than those we had when we left. And never mind the years of grinding and divisive negotiation required. I'd like to see a poll on how many people would like to magically wish Brexit away - no regrets, no surrender, no blame, no guilt, no recriminations. It just never happened. I reckon it would be 80-20 in favour of Remain.
  • Options
    Obviously never going to happen, nor any tough interviewer, as there was enough holes in some of the stories for it to go south very quickly.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

But he's built a successful career precisely BECAUSE everyone (or a lot of people) hate him. A lot of people find being angered, and seeing others angered, as entertaining. So it's a career path, certainly. Not sure why anyone should respect it, though, weirdly or otherwise.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    edited March 2021
    Mail headline: Palace 'fears Harry and Meghan will NAME Royal
    Checks story: 1,2,3,..... 15 photos of Prince Charles !
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

And all his baggage, he somehow manages never to get cancelled for long, popping up again in another top quality position. Mirror, sacked, CNN sacked, oh look he is back again with GMB.
    He's got a good ear for public opinion. That's why.
    He hasn't railed against lockdown like many of his fellow media loudmouths for example.
    He doesn't have an apparent ideological axe to grind, so can be very flexible.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

But he's built a successful career precisely BECAUSE everyone (or a lot of people) hate him. A lot of people find being angered, and seeing others angered, as entertaining. So it's a career path, certainly. Not sure why anyone should respect it, though, weirdly or otherwise.
    Because it's not enough to simply be hated. Lots of people are hated, but they cannot sustain a career in the mainstream from it, while he's worked in news and entertainment and managed to carve out that niche. Any number of far right or far left figures could be pointed to who are hated, but not mainstream successful.

His professional persona is that of an arsehole, and it's not unreasonable to assume it's because he is also an arsehole generally. But he obviously manages, professionally, to stay on the right side of the line to keep being employed whereas, say, someone like Laurence Fox seems like he wants to go down that route but is too much an arsehole.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

We have not reached herd immunity but that's not a switch that gets flipped suddenly. Around a third of England has been infected at some point, add the vaccinated, and the ability to transmit is severely hampered. There have been two solid falls in the Zoe app the last couple of days which is mighty encouraging.
    Very positive about this so far.
    As you say - erosion of transmission is a sliding scale, and with the vaccinated-for-three weeks plus even conservative estimates of the infected-and-recovered, we're looking at downwards pressure on R of around a factor of 1.75 (only around 57% of the country targetable at best). Even with the effect on transmission being only, say, a conservative 85%, it's still a 1.5-times reduction in R against whatever background we're at.

And with a positivity rate of around 0.4%, we've surely got to be picking up a really big chunk of the infectious.

I'd think that inside Government right now, they're looking at the figures with considerable (if fairly disbelieving) relief. Of course, it's way, way too early to draw conclusions, but I'd have bitten your hand off to the elbow for figures like these against test numbers like those.
  • Options
    I love the marathon/sprint analogy, used to claim going faster is a bad thing essentially (until they have gone faster). People still run fast in a marathon, in fact they go as fast as they possibly can. If they could physically sprint a marathon they would.
  • Options

Crikey! And 231 very low for a Tuesday. We could be looking at daily averages sub 100 within a fortnight.
    Don't want to send hares running, and I could be being way overoptimistic, but remembering the analogy with bankruptcy for vaccination effects, I wouldn't be surprised if we were consistently sub-100 within a week.
    (That is, only the Tuesday and Wednesday catch-up days next week being three figures).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

They are just shooting the messenger, in this case the messenger explaining why restrictions can't be lifted sooner.

--AS

No one is shooting the messenger. I am just wary of potential scenarios. One of which is following the science to an extended lockdown.

Why? Because for some people there is no lower limit to the ok number of Covid deaths.

You'd have to be a particular kind of naive not to include it in your list of scenarios.
    It's clear that "zero covid" is not a runner. We're going with the "live with it like flu" option. In truth, the only ever feasible option. All of the evidence points to this. In my view the chances of restrictions being extended beyond the target date of June 21 are very small indeed.

We can frame a bet if you think otherwise. How does 5/1 sound?
  • Options

Obviously never going to happen, nor any tough interviewer, as there was enough holes in some of the stories for it to go south very quickly.
    That would be very good - if he does an equally tough interview with eg Prince Charles or someone similar too to get to the bottom of the other side too.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

Am I the only one who watched Piers Morgan and Susannah Reid's interview of Thomas Markle on GMB this morning?
  • Options

And so it begins.

Why is she blaming the government for this and not the school, given the DfE's line is that the PCR test trumps the LTF if its negative? 😕

No. The policy for a PCR is only called for if the lateral test was done at home, not by the school.

"What happens if a test is positive?

If anyone’s test is positive, they should immediately start isolating in line with public health guidance. Members of their household should also start isolating.

Where a pupil’s test has been taken on site under supervision, the chance of it being incorrect is minimal so there is no need for a further test to confirm the result.

All pupils, staff, and their households who take their tests at home should report the results by calling 119 or through the online form."

If taken correctly, there is a very small chance of a home test being wrong but there is a slightly higher chance of it being administered incorrectly. As such, if a pupil, member of staff or a member of their household gets a positive result at home they should report the result and arrange to have a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test by following this link.

In the event that the PCR test is negative – that they do not have Covid 19 – this overrides the lateral flow test if it was taken at home and they should therefore return to school."

https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/03/09/covid-testing-in-schools-who-will-get-tested-how-and-where-will-they-be-tested-who-has-to-isolate-after-a-positive-test-these-questions-and-more-answered/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

How is Evans still in a job?

One wonders , got a new contract and pay rise as well after it , does make you wonder.
    PS: Last week she said she always shreds her notebooks on a very regular basis as well.
    Well, she would say that or it would stink even more. ( I keep notes on all meetings other than those ........ )

But someone who does not minute meetings that really need to be minuted should surely be for the bin?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    The poll was done immediately after the budget. Nothing more to say.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,912
    TimT said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

Floater said:

TimT said:

malcolmg said:

Shameful.

Yes, but my question was why has the Committee not asked for this to happen?
    They have requested it many times, had parliament votes to force them but they do not want to give the detail , it proves Salmond's evidence was correct. They are trying to drag it out till parliament closes for the election, only a few weeks left. As it is an SNP led committee it is all done at snails pace.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

Very positive about this so far.
    As you say - erosion of transmission is a sliding scale, and with the vaccinated-for-three weeks plus even conservative estimates of the infected-and-recovered, we're looking at downwards pressure on R of around a factor of 1.75 (only around 57% of the country targetable at best). Even with the effect on transmission being only, say, a conservative 85%, it's still a 1.5-times reduction in R against whatever background we're at.

And with a positivity rate of around 0.4%, we've surely got to be picking up a really big chunk of the infectious.

I'd think that inside Government right now, they're looking at the figures with considerable (if fairly disbelieving) relief. Of course, it's way, way too early to draw conclusions, but I'd have bitten your hand off to the elbow for figures like these against test numbers like those.
    A wonderful piece of analysis. Thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    kle4 said:

I love the marathon/sprint analogy, used to claim going faster is a bad thing essentially (until they have gone faster). People still run fast in a marathon, in fact they go as fast as they possibly can. If they could physically sprint a marathon they would.
    The world record marathon pace is 2:50 per kilometre. It's very much at or above a flat out sprint for 99+% of people.
  • Options

And so it begins.

No. The policy for a PCR is only called for if the lateral test was done at home, not by the school.

"What happens if a test is positive?

If anyone’s test is positive, they should immediately start isolating in line with public health guidance. Members of their household should also start isolating.

Where a pupil’s test has been taken on site under supervision, the chance of it being incorrect is minimal so there is no need for a further test to confirm the result.

All pupils, staff, and their households who take their tests at home should report the results by calling 119 or through the online form."

If taken correctly, there is a very small chance of a home test being wrong but there is a slightly higher chance of it being administered incorrectly. As such, if a pupil, member of staff or a member of their household gets a positive result at home they should report the result and arrange to have a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test by following this link.

In the event that the PCR test is negative – that they do not have Covid 19 – this overrides the lateral flow test if it was taken at home and they should therefore return to school."

https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/03/09/covid-testing-in-schools-who-will-get-tested-how-and-where-will-they-be-tested-who-has-to-isolate-after-a-positive-test-these-questions-and-more-answered/
    OK so what she's complaining about is only if the test is done at school - and the schools are doing the tests this week, then they go to home tests and the new rule applies?

Sounds irritating but still better to have most kids at school even if a few stay at home. Its progress.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

felix said:

He's got a good ear for public opinion. That's why.
    He hasn't railed against lockdown like many of his fellow media loudmouths for example.
    He doesn't have an apparent ideological axe to grind, so can be very flexible.
    That's a sophisticated way of saying he is massive hypocrite....Mr LOCK US DOWN...GOVERNMENT FAILING TO IMPOSE TOUGH ENOUGH RESTRICTIONS....BORIS IS KILLING EVERYBODY....I won't be on the telly over Christmas as I am going abroad for my hols.
    Indeed. I was being kind. He is without doubt a massive arse.
This discussion has been closed.