Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Given what everybody is talking about it we probably need a thread on this – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

The current shenanigans have merely confirmed that view, and as a result, the RF may have been holed below the waterline. I only ask of them that they hang on long enough to prevent Blair becoming the first President of an UK/English Republic (whatever).

Candidates for President of the Republic is an interesting discussion. They have to be apolitical, universally admired and good at welcoming dignitaries, etc.

Joanna Lumley or Ian Wright would both be good.
    Assuming we'd have an almost purely ceremonial President, as in Ireland, you can still have an ex-politico in the role, provided they're someone who has won cross-party respect.

Tony Benn might have done, or Ken Clarke.
    You are simply not ambitious enough. We need a ceremonial President with an 5 year term - selected via a series of TV shows.

Points are awarded for participating in and their final position in Strictly, I'm a Celeb, the Masked Singer, Bake Off, Pooch Perfect, Sew Off and Pot Off.

The celeb who scores the most points during the previous 5 years is appointed the next President.
    A cruel reality show played for media ratings is not too far off the status quo.
    Make it 4 years - and it worked for Trump.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited March 2021

MaxPB said:

Phone call with GP update: despite being told a month ago (I tried to get ahead of the problem) by my GP that I was allocated to Group 6, it turns out they hadn't allocated me to Group 6 after all.

I await a return phone call after they speak to a doctor...

That's pretty rubbish, hopefully they've fixed that and you can book an appointment tomorrow!
    I had to be really insistent to get past the receptionist roadblock to be able to speak to the "Patient liaison manager" or whatever. I worry lots of people will simply wait and be forgotten about.
    As an ex colleague said to me once, stereotypes are there for a reason. None fit that more than GP's receptionists.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

The current shenanigans have merely confirmed that view, and as a result, the RF may have been holed below the waterline. I only ask of them that they hang on long enough to prevent Blair becoming the first President of an UK/English Republic (whatever).

Candidates for President of the Republic is an interesting discussion. They have to be apolitical, universally admired and good at welcoming dignitaries, etc.

Assuming we'd have an almost purely ceremonial President, as in Ireland, you can still have an ex-politico in the role, provided they're someone who has won cross-party respect.

You are simply not ambitious enough. We need a ceremonial President with an 5 year term - selected via a series of TV shows.

Points are awarded for participating in and their final position in Strictly, I'm a Celeb, the Masked Singer, Bake Off, Pooch Perfect, Sew Off and Pot Off.

The celeb who scores the most points during the previous 5 years is appointed the next President.
    A cruel reality show played for media ratings is not too far off the status quo.
    Make it 4 years - and it worked for Trump.
    Are you trying to make me a monarchist? 😱
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Dura_Ace said:

Being a ceremonial president would play to Johnson's very limited strengths in a way that being PM doesn't. Also endless opportunities for grift and redecorating.

I don't think gobshite Charles is going to last long on the Iron Throne when QE2 carks it. He always looks like he's one more Tunnock's wafer away from a massive stroke.
    The Queen is 94; if she lives longer than her mother, which is quite, I would have thought, possible she could be on the throne for another 10 years. To 2031
    Which takes Charles to 82. His dad, who had a much tougher youth than Charles, is 100. So Charles could get there or thereabouts So that's 2051.
    When William will be almost 80.

UK, or possibly just England, is going to have some very ancient monarchs.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

I'm still struggling to find the racism towards MM. I just looked at Wikipedia as article got Megxit and one two sources are behind paywalls and the other is a video of a talking head who cites the Murdoch press not fawning over Meghan, and Danny Baker - and anyone who had listened to Danny Baker of the years would know that what he said wasn't racist - he'd always described the royals as a chimps tea party or chimps on bikes at a circus, i.e. something for people to stare at. Can anyone point be to anything that a normal person would consider racist?

Danny Baker thought he was making a republican/class-war point with his tweet and the way it could be interpreted as racist (obvious to anyone else) never seemed to cross his mind. He's an impulsive loudmouth and didn't think it through.

I came off Twitter over a month ago now, and I'm glad I did. I don't miss it at all (aside from David Herdson and Matt Singh's insights, both of whom I wish were still regulars on here) and I'm far calmer and happier.

And, most importantly, I'm spending more time with my family.
    Shitposting on LinkedIn is quite rewarding as it is an entire ecosystem of people who take themselves 🆅🅴🆁🆈 🆂🅴🆁🅸🅾🆄🆂🅻🆈.

Recommended.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    Xtrain said:

Roger said:

DavidL said:

Pretty much what I have been saying on here. At the moment Boris's tanks are not so much on Labour's lawn as building ditches and fortifications there. It doesn't leave Labour many places to go. They need a strong, clear voice that sounds distinctive. But they've got SKS instead.
    To misquote Casablanca 'We've always got Brexit'. A crap economy unemployment civil unrest and the country will take a mighty revenge.
    You mean like Greece, Italy, Spain etc.....
    One can always be reassured that whatever Roger predicts, the opposite is the most likely outcome...
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The traditional title is Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of course.

But why not go the whole hog and review the constitution. The US one of course based on an idealised version of hours based on about 1780. We need to sort federalism out so why not have an executive president?

My reservation is that a ceremonial president would be a sop to failed Prime Ministers, a bung to move senior Cabinet members sideways. A sort of House of Lords on stilts. We'd have President Brown, not Blair.
    Surely, President Gavin Williamson?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

OK - forget the soap opera nonsense. Like most soaps the story is full of holes, obvious questions aren't asked and the drama is over-egged and over-acted.

Here is the important (to me) news.

This week:-

1. My husband got his vaccine. Astra-Zeneca.
    2. It is now just over 3 weeks since I got my first Pfizer jab.
    3. We finally moved into the Lake District home we started rebuilding in summer of 2018 - with most of the first year taken up with building regs stuff, the next six months with getting quotes and quite a lot of the remaining delay caused by Covid. There is still some small stuff to be done but we are 97% of the way there. It has been quite a journey.
    4. I have lots of land on which to garden to my heart's content.
    5. Daughter is doing a special Greek meal takeaway for Mother's Day, which always goes down well and is fully booked. The business may even survive rrolic until late May.
    6. Daughter's cat is pregnant. This may be a mixed blessing given the new wallpaper in the house - but the kittens are, I am assured, spoken for ......

The only fly in the ointment is that I have damaged a knee tendon. But this is a time to count one's blessings. The weather has been quite spring-like of late and it's amazing how cheering daffodils can be.

On the other hand. You live in Cumbria. It'll piss down long and hard and soon!
    Really nice to hear you're feeling more chipper.
    Cumbria is a gorgeous place. I have views of the sea and mountains from my windows. I am a mile from one of the most beautiful beaches in Britain. The birdsong and the night sky are amazing. Lambs frolic in the fields nearby. The air is good for my lungs. And the sunsets and sunrises are quite spectacular.

I don't care about rain. Rather like it in fact as it makes the garden grow.

I may even join the WI and complete my journey into deepest Middle England .....
    I'm jealous. I love the lakes but I've never associated it with the sea. My favourite place and walk is Grassmere or Crook
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    edited March 2021

Pulpstar said:

The idea there aren't confident women within the royals is a hoot. Anne and the Queen herself are both very confident indeed.
    Kate and Sophie are quieter but that's the way they are

Fergie was outspoken too. And Zara Phillips isn't quiet either.

If you look at what Meghan says, regardless of the situation or the issue, she's always the victim.
    I'm not terribly interested in this, and haven't followed it very closely.

All I would say is that Harry married into showbiz. And, so far as I can tell to someone with a fair amount of history and "attitude". Nothing wrong with that, per se, but an explosion always possible. No doubt, the Palace might have handled it better. But, who knows?

Kate Middleton, OTOH, seems to have known very well what she was marrying into, understood the parameters, and psyched herself for it. Result is that she is a huge asset to her husband and to the institution.

None of this is good news for the Royal Family, but will pass, and with William second-in-line, the monarchy's future is absolutely assured.

For me, the real victim seems to he Harry who has alienated pretty well everyone, bar media hanger-ons (surely, fair weather friends) and Meghan. Sad, really, as he seems a good guy.
    Harry has not alienated everyone. For me, him and the Queen are the only admirable members of the family. I admire his fantastic work in creating the Invictus games, his honesty and that he puts his wife and children first, ahead of traditional demands.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Dura_Ace said:

But why not go the whole hog and review the constitution. The US one of course based on an idealised version of hours based on about 1780. We need to sort federalism out so why not have an executive president?

My reservation is that a ceremonial president would be a sop to failed Prime Ministers, a bung to move senior Cabinet members sideways. A sort of House of Lords on stilts. We'd have President Brown, not Blair.
    At least we'd be sure that any meddling he tried would be ineffectual.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited March 2021

I'm still struggling to find the racism towards MM. I just looked at Wikipedia as article got Megxit and one two sources are behind paywalls and the other is a video of a talking head who cites the Murdoch press not fawning over Meghan, and Danny Baker - and anyone who had listened to Danny Baker of the years would know that what he said wasn't racist - he'd always described the royals as a chimps tea party or chimps on bikes at a circus, i.e. something for people to stare at. Can anyone point be to anything that a normal person would consider racist?

Here are a couple of pieces about the allegation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/08/meghan-has-been-mistreated-for-years-but-her-interview-still-shocked-me
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/05/meghan-britain-duchess-of-sussex-media-palace

There's a lot of other stuff lumped in, too, of course. And there is an elephant-balancing-on-a-toadstool feel, but that's always there.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:
    Essential as there is a lot of people leaving for very well paid jobs in the tax avoidance industry...

The simple fact is that some parts of the public sector pay well above market salaries and others have pay so low finding (and keeping) anyone is impossible.

One reason for the Treasury moving North is the fact that £80,000 round here will get you a very nice house.

Down south you will get part ownership of a 2 bed shared equity flat.
  • Options
    From the sounds of it Whitty is dead set against any acceleration of the five week intervals between lifting lockdowns, but at some point this question is going to have to be seriously considered.

If we reach a point of effectively having everyone vulnerable vaccinated an zero Covid deaths in May are we seriously going to waste a precious month of spring/summer waiting until nearly the end of June if we have effectively zero Covid by May? Its preposterous.

Right to stick to it for now perhaps until the hospitals clear and while vaccines are rolled out, but by May this is going to look very silly.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The idea there aren't confident women within the royals is a hoot. Anne and the Queen herself are both very confident indeed.
    Kate and Sophie are quieter but that's the way they are

Fergie was outspoken too. And Zara Phillips isn't quiet either.

If you look at what Meghan says, regardless of the situation or the issue, she's always the victim.
    I'm not terribly interested in this, and haven't followed it very closely.

All I would say is that Harry married into showbiz. And, so far as I can tell to someone with a fair amount of history and "attitude". Nothing wrong with that, per se, but an explosion always possible. No doubt, the Palace might have handled it better. But, who knows?

Kate Middleton, OTOH, seems to have known very well what she was marrying into, understood the parameters, and psyched herself for it. Result is that she is a huge asset to her husband and to the institution.

None of this is good news for the Royal Family, but will pass, and with William second-in-line, the monarchy's future is absolutely assured.

For me, the real victim seems to he Harry who has alienated pretty well everyone, bar media hanger-ons (surely, fair weather friends) and Meghan. Sad, really, as he seems a good guy.
    Harry has not alienated everyone. For me, him and the Queen are the only admirable members of the family. I admire his fantastic work in creating the Invictus games, his honesty and that he puts his wife and children first, ahead of traditional demands.
    The Invictus Games is definitely his big achievement, and the very strong riposte to those who say he's just been feckless or unaware.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Dura_Ace said:

I can only consider myself a monarchist in the sense that it seems to me all the other options are worse.

Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,261

Dura_Ace said:

Being a ceremonial president would play to Johnson's very limited strengths in a way that being PM doesn't. Also endless opportunities for grift and redecorating.

I don't think gobshite Charles is going to last long on the Iron Throne when QE2 carks it. He always looks like he's one more Tunnock's wafer away from a massive stroke.
    The Queen is 94; if she lives longer than her mother, which is quite, I would have thought, possible she could be on the throne for another 10 years. To 2031
    Which takes Charles to 82. His dad, who had a much tougher youth than Charles, is 100. So Charles could get there or thereabouts So that's 2051.
    When William will be almost 80.

UK, or possibly just England, is going to have some very ancient monarchs.
    William born in 1982, so almost 70 by 2051, but your point stands.

A lot has been speculated about how the country will react to losing HMQ, but a decade of declining health beforehand could also have an influence on the national psyche, particularly if that's then repeated with subsequent monarchs.
  • Options

Huzzah. I'm now on the Group 6 list. Apparently I should get an appointment end of this week or start of next week. I'm told that the GP surgery are just waiting for more slots to be released.

Update: I have an appointment tomorrow! :) Let's hope its AZ/Oxford!
    Excellent!

Is it at your GP? Or a mass vaccination centre?

Former is more likely AZ.
  • Options

From the sounds of it Whitty is dead set against any acceleration of the five week intervals between lifting lockdowns, but at some point this question is going to have to be seriously considered.

If we reach a point of effectively having everyone vulnerable vaccinated an zero Covid deaths in May are we seriously going to waste a precious month of spring/summer waiting until nearly the end of June if we have effectively zero Covid by May? Its preposterous.

Right to stick to it for now perhaps until the hospitals clear and while vaccines are rolled out, but by May this is going to look very silly.

Said before, I don't see any movement until we get the other side of Easter. Keep us in the box and prevent it causing any flare ups at gatherings.

After Easter, I expect there to be a clamour to advance by at least 2 weeks.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Huzzah. I'm now on the Group 6 list. Apparently I should get an appointment end of this week or start of next week. I'm told that the GP surgery are just waiting for more slots to be released.

Excellent!

It's at a mass vaccination centre - the Newcastle Eagles basketball arena to be exact. Apparently I will be allocated a "court" once I'm there. :D
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221

Good news. Congrats.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Excellent!

Our local mass vaccination centre is jabbing AZ
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

Said before, I don't see any movement until we get the other side of Easter. Keep us in the box and prevent it causing any flare ups at gatherings.

Data not dates! They invented the slogan but have made the rules dates not data.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221

What was the point of a very speeded up vaccine approval and delivery process if we are going to spend weeks in lockdown beyond what is absolutely necessary??
  • Options

Easter sounds about right to me. But after Easter it really should be accelerated.

The key to me is when Priority Group 9 is done. Three weeks after that there is no excuse to have indoor hospitality etc close anymore besides nightclubs that are being done last. It looks like the vaccination rollout will be done well before pubs are supposed to reopen indoors and that's crazy.
  • Options

Typical bully - can dish it out, but can't take it:

https://twitter.com/chrisrickett/status/1369177870191460353?s=20

lol - Piers is always great entertainment.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Coming to this late, but one thing above all puzzles me about last night's interview. Meghan and Harry separately spoke very highly of the Queen, but also spoke of an 'institution' or 'firm' that denided Archie a title, denied Meghan access to mental health services, etc. Harry said his father and brother are 'trapped' in this system. Given that the Queen is chair and CEO of this 'firm', that would imply a much less positive view of her, unless they think a shadowy cabal of advisers make the real decisions. It's a shame Oprah was never going to ask those questions.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,261

If, as has begun to look like it is the case, we have accumulating evidence that the vaccines also prevent transmission, that might be the justification for making a change.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Dura_Ace said:

Danny Baker thought he was making a republican/class-war point with his tweet and the way it could be interpreted as racist (obvious to anyone else) never seemed to cross his mind. He's an impulsive loudmouth and didn't think it through.

I came off Twitter over a month ago now, and I'm glad I did. I don't miss it at all (aside from David Herdson and Matt Singh's insights, both of whom I wish were still regulars on here) and I'm far calmer and happier.

And, most importantly, I'm spending more time with my family.
    Shitposting on LinkedIn is quite rewarding as it is an entire ecosystem of people who take themselves 🆅🅴🆁🆈 🆂🅴🆁🅸🅾🆄🆂🅻🆈.

Recommended.
    Yes, I try and avoid that as well. I use it as a way to advertise my online CV and credentials, and network with people for whom I don't have contact details.

Nothing else.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Looking further afield this will really open the debate about the Monarchy's future in NZ, Australia and Canada especially.

I doubt it will make the slightest difference.

In Australia the conservative PM Scott Morrison and his more rural and outer suburban supporters will remain monarchists and more sympathetic to the royal family, the Labor opposition leader Albanese and his urban supporters will remain republicans and more sympathetic to the Sussexes.

In Canada both the PM Trudeau and the leader of the Opposition O'Toole are monarchists so it will make zero difference there with only the third party NDP having an element of republicanism.

In New Zealand it might make a slight difference when the Queen dies given the Labor PM Ardern is a republican but even there she has said constitutional issues are off the table for now
    Just because certain political leaders are monarchists does not mean that some of the allegations will have caused concern. Its only 23 years since the last referendum in Australia - and in that time Charles & Andrew et al. hardly won over the Republican cause. Canada (where Meghan M will garner significant support) is also likely to be unimpressed, I'm not saying the Queen will be shown the door, but beyond that.........
    Given MM has also abandoned Canada, where they originally bought a property, for California with her husband I doubt the Canadians are that enamoured by them either
    https://www.voanews.com/americas/harry-and-meghan-disappoint-canadians-departure
    I don't suppose most give two hoots or come to that even know.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2021
    Essexit said:

Coming to this late, but one thing above all puzzles me about last night's interview. Meghan and Harry separately spoke very highly of the Queen, but also spoke of an 'institution' or 'firm' that denided Archie a title, denied Meghan access to mental health services, etc. Harry said his father and brother are 'trapped' in this system. Given that the Queen is chair and CEO of this 'firm', that would imply a much less positive view of her, unless they think a shadowy cabal of advisers make the real decisions. It's a shame Oprah was never going to ask those questions.

They definitely mean the advisors, because in another quote he said the advisors stopped him seeing the Queen, and essentially told her to change her diary, after she had already invited him and Meghan to meet her last year.
  • Options

Data not dates! They invented the slogan but have made the rules dates not data.....
    The dates are when they get the data in is what they're saying.

I understand the argument but its nonsensical. Quite frankly whether you open up indoor hospitality or not is nothing compared to the final step of opening up nightclubs etc - the moment nightclubs etc are opened (and assuming they're not supposed to socially distance) then R will go back up to the full post-vaccine amount and nothing else matters that much in comparison.

So the idea that we need data to measure how much opening up pubs outside etc has done in order to open up pubs inside in order to open up nightclubs, its crazy those things are not alike at all. Either the vaccine works and we have to live with this or, well quite frankly there is no or.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Essexit said:

I didn't watch it but didn't they say that it is the advisors who get things wrong?

And that's hardly an original concept with the monarchy. The monarch doesn't make decisions unilaterally, they're almost all ran through advisors - there's nothing shadowy about that, surely we all knew that already?

First couple of seasons of The Crown it was clear all decisions were either made by Churchill or Lascelles, not Her Majesty.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

You ought now to be able to book directly via the website straight away?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Roger said:

kamski said:

So the defence of the royal family boils down to:

It's all Meghan's fault because she must have known how ghastly they were before she married one of them.

Fair enough, but surely a little bit of blame attaches to the ghastly royal family for, you know, being ghastly in the first place?

What ever happened the stiff upper lip? What kind of people go on TV to slag off your family and your in-laws? It's just vindictive. Go do your own thing. Who cares? But after a pandemic which is still killing millions this is horribly self indulgent
    OMG - I cannot miss a once in a lifetime chance to say - I agree with Roger! Not sure I'll ever live it down.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yes you can - if you want to ensure no future lockdown - you ensure the current lockdown is working before moving to the next one.

If we hit late April and the figures are very low it would make sense to look at hastening the subsequent stages but there is an awful lot of risk in doing that today.
  • Options

Easter sounds about right to me. But after Easter it really should be accelerated.

The key to me is when Priority Group 9 is done. Three weeks after that there is no excuse to have indoor hospitality etc close anymore besides nightclubs that are being done last. It looks like the vaccination rollout will be done well before pubs are supposed to reopen indoors and that's crazy.
    If the Government is really anticipating some big vax numbers in the next 2-3 weeks, then once we get to Easter, a great many people will be at first jab + 3 weeks immunity. Certainly those at greatest risk.

Easter has always looked a logical target to get to - and then reassess.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Excellent!

Latter is more likely AZ as they don't have the facilities for sub-zero storage, and need large quantities. Hospitals are doing Pfizer, although much is now being held for second doses
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Essexit said:

I didn't watch it but didn't they say that it is the advisors who get things wrong?

And that's hardly an original concept with the monarchy. The monarch doesn't make decisions unilaterally, they're almost all ran through advisors - there's nothing shadowy about that, surely we all knew that already?

First couple of seasons of The Crown it was clear all decisions were either made by Churchill or Lascelles, not Her Majesty.
    I guess, though you'd think that if the advisors have ballsed things up so badly that the Queen's grandson is about to pack his bags and leave, she'd be able to intervene and over-rule them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    eek said:

Yes you can - if you want to ensure no future lockdown - you ensure the current lockdown is working before moving to the next one.

If we hit late April and the figures are very low it would make sense to look at hastening the subsequent stages but there is an awful lot of risk in doing that today.
    My reading of the statements is "If we could we'd just relax when the data suggests it's safe, but we realise people want dates. So we've given the earliest possible dates assuming things go reasonably well." Seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Think of everyone who is paid by the civil list to provide the Queen's admin functionality all of whom have been there decades.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited March 2021
    Essexit said:

Agree. It's not about accuracy or truth or similar; it's about pitching a stall as slebs in fluff-4-brains land by an initial impact.

It may not matter to H&M whether what happened is found out. If it did they would not be doing the Dance of the Seven Veils.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

Typical bully - can dish it out, but can't take it:

https://twitter.com/chrisrickett/status/1369177870191460353?s=20

lol - Piers is always great entertainment.
    That's the point, surely? If I were him in the shock-jock role that he adopts, I'd definitely do walkouts and suchlike.
  • Options
    As mentioned yesterday, I think this is really short sighted. Regardless of their current affiliation with the Royal Family he is still the Queen's grandson who has served 2 tours of Afghanistan. He has a higher profile and is at significant more personal risk than most "normal" people regardless of what he says or does.

If anything were to happen to him, it wouldn't speak well of British prestige. In my opinion his security should be paid for on the hush hush.
  • Options
    Though when the point was made that the Government went above and beyond to give Rushdie protection we were told by many here that everyone who needs security gets it. Which was clearly never right.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Foxy said:

Would that be the America of Jim Crow and the KKK? Of Operation Condor? Of Mayor Daley and Tammany Hall?

I lived in America for five formative years. The one thing about America to be certain of is that it contains the worst of mankind as well as the best, incredible beauty as well as trashy ugliness, of high ideas and the lowest common denominator. It has always been both a shining city on the hill, and home of some of the darkest deeds.

In that, nothing has changed. Indeed I would argue that pretty much all countries have their dark side as well as positive ones. It is just that in America we see more of it.

You'll have no career as a polemicist if you insist on doing nuance.

I mean, you'll be following science and logic next. Prepare for total political irrelevance in the UK.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

It doesn't matter that "The Crown" is 20 years behind.

"The Windsors" is far more relevant, and nearly up to date. And rather good. Roll on Series 3.

I have almost finished reading "And What Do You Do?" by Norman Baker (Ex MP for Lewes).

It would open many peoples' eyes to the reality of the "Royal Family" if they read it, the endless freeloading, tax evasion, dodgy political and business associations, racism, arrogance and self-entitlement is breathtaking.

I think there will be a sea change in attitudes to the monarchy ones the current incumbent dies. I suspect that it will survive a few more years as it is slimmed down to Charles and his immediate family and Andrew's gruesome family and all the other myriad hangers on get shown the door. The dam will burst once Australia, New Zealand or Canada votes to abolish it and it moves up the political agenda.

They need to get a move on as I would like to die as a citizen of a modern republic rather than a subject of Charles or Big Willy!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

OK - forget the soap opera nonsense. Like most soaps the story is full of holes, obvious questions aren't asked and the drama is over-egged and over-acted.

3. We finally moved into the Lake District home we started rebuilding in summer of 2018 - with most of the first year taken up with building regs stuff, the next six months with getting quotes and quite a lot of the remaining delay caused by Covid. There is still some small stuff to be done but we are 97% of the way there. It has been quite a journey.
    5. Daughter is doing a special Greek meal takeaway for Mother's Day, which always goes down well and is fully booked. The business may even survive rrolic until late May.
    6. Daughter's cat is pregnant. This may be a mixed blessing given the new wallpaper in the house - but the kittens are, I am assured, spoken for ......

The only fly in the ointment is that I have damaged a knee tendon. But this is a time to count one's blessings. The weather has been quite spring-like of late and it's amazing how cheering daffodils can be.

Cumbria is a gorgeous place. I have views of the sea and mountains from my windows. I am a mile from one of the most beautiful beaches in Britain. The birdsong and the night sky are amazing. Lambs frolic in the fields nearby. The air is good for my lungs. And the sunsets and sunrises are quite spectacular.

I may even join the WI and complete my journey into deepest Middle England .....
    I'm jealous. I love the lakes but I've never associated it with the sea. My favourite place and walk is Grassmere or Crook
    Never heard of Grassmere, but maybe Grasmere if you know the area
  • Options
    OllyT said:

It doesn't matter that "The Crown" is 20 years behind.

"The Windsors" is far more relevant, and nearly up to date. And rather good. Roll on Series 3.

I have almost finished reading "And What Do You Do?" by Norman Baker (Ex MP for Lewes).

It would open many peoples' eyes to the reality of the "Royal Family" if they read it, the endless freeloading, tax evasion, dodgy political and business associations, racism, arrogance and self-entitlement is breathtaking.

I think there will be a sea change in attitudes to the monarchy ones the current incumbent dies. I suspect that it will survive a few more years as it is slimmed down to Charles and his immediate family and Andrew's gruesome family and all the other myriad hangers on get shown the door. The dam will burst once Australia, New Zealand or Canada votes to abolish it and it moves up the political agenda.

They need to get a move on as I would like to die as a citizen of a modern republic rather than a subject of Charles or Big Willy!
    I wonder how many of the 16 countries under the Crown still will be a decade after the death of Queen Elizabeth. It wouldn't surprise me if its down to single figures and its going to only ever ratchet one way.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

But anyway. Enough. The dimwittery and "urbane" bigotry on here is making my fingers tremble.

BREAK! :smile:

It's no shame not to know Shaw's quote.
    As I say - "urbane" bigotry.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Though when the point was made that the Government went above and beyond to give Rushdie protection we were told by many here that everyone who needs security gets it. Which was clearly never right.
    Both things can be true. If there was a specific threat to your life, you or I would be looked after and so would they (if they were in the country). But neither we nor they now get or deserve the full wrap around “you actively work for your country and it puts you in danger” security they used to have.

You’d be surprised how few of the Cabinet have significant amounts of security, for example.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,388

My GP registration lapsed or something, possibly through a health authority purge of patients who'd not shown up for years. I discovered this when the NHS site did not recognise my number.

No problem -- just re-register with proof of ID like passport (none) or driving licence (none) or birth certificate (yes but no idea where).

Anyway, I negotiated the practice manager down to a utility bill since they are just resurrecting an old patient, so it is lucky I did not go gangbusters (as the cool prime ministers say) on paperless, online billing. Taking the paperwork along to the surgery will give me something to do tomorrow or Thursday.

I do wonder if this piece of anecdata is another contributory factor in low vaccine acceptance in some groups -- people like me who have fallen through the cracks and are waiting for an invitation that will never come.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

The best thing the Royal Family can do is say nothing and treat them with the contempt which they richly deserve.

Never wrestle with pigs.
    Charming.
    Attributed to Shaw. "Never wrestle with pigs. You both end up covered in mud, but the pig enjoys it." i.e. don't get involved in slanging matches.
    Yes, I know the saying and get the meaning.
  • Options

As mentioned yesterday, I think this is really short sighted. Regardless of their current affiliation with the Royal Family he is still the Queen's grandson who has served 2 tours of Afghanistan. He has a higher profile and is at significant more personal risk than most "normal" people regardless of what he says or does.

If anything were to happen to him, it wouldn't speak well of British prestige. In my opinion his security should be paid for on the hush hush.
    Isn't the point that they are pretty wealthy celebrities and can make their own arrangements?

I don't think we pay for David Beckham to be protected, not because we've anything against him but because he's got it covered.

Now if the cost was beyond their means, leaving them exposed, that's a different matter. But it is not clear it is.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

The best thing the Royal Family can do is say nothing and treat them with the contempt which they richly deserve.

Never wrestle with pigs.
    Charming.
    Attributed to Shaw. "Never wrestle with pigs. You both end up covered in mud, but the pig enjoys it." i.e. don't get involved in slanging matches.
    LOL no you didn't.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2021
    deleted - statement of the obvious.
  • Options

Isn't the point that they are pretty wealthy celebrities and can make their own arrangements?

I don't think we pay for David Beckham to be protected, not because we've anything against him but because he's got it covered.

Now if the cost was beyond their means, leaving them exposed, that's a different matter. But it is not clear it is.
    Fair point. :#
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm not sure how much beach is actually in the National Park, but parts of the south coast are worth a visit if you avoid the static caravans. Barrow is a bit dodgy but the beach at Sandscale Haws makes up for that (and has Natterjack toads, for those that care). The limestone sticking out into Morecambe Bay is also quite interesting (Humphrey Head et al).

The sea seems quite near from almost all the Lakeland hills west of Thirlmere (when it isn't raining).
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Never heard of Grassmere, but maybe Grasmere if you know the area
    I would love to move to the Lakes.
    And I could do now. Working from home 3 days a week is suddenly very realistic for both me and my wife. An hour and a half's commute on the other two days is doable.
    But - our roots in South Manchester are now too deep to make this sort of decision lightly; we have friends here, our children have friends - and schools - here; my parents are half an hour away; my in-laws are half an hour away. And being close to them is only going to get more important as they age. Two windows needed to open - the window where moving away from South Manchester was possible, and the window where moving to Cumbria was possible. And they didn't quite open at the same time. Ah well.
    That said, if my wife proposed it it would take her less than 30 seconds to convince me.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

Never wrestle with pigs.
    Charming.
    LOL no you didn't.
    Why on earth do you think that?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,428

People at high risk usually make their own security arrangements, which they pay for themselves. Why should we, the taxpayer, meet this expense?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

People at high risk usually make their own security arrangements, which they pay for themselves. Why should we, the taxpayer, meet this expense?
    Yes fair point. However I do think the Royal Security services should share intelligence with their (private) security. Like it or not Prince Harry will always be a significant target because of our monarchy, something he cannot control.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Essexit said:

I suspect the long-serving flunkeys in the institution have a lot of power. They determine the culture and the rules. The royals are trained to fit into that institution.

I also suspect that Meghan questioned that power. She was backed up by Harry and the flunkeys threw a hissy fit. Some even had PTSD after their authority was challenged. This has now emerged as Meghan bullying the staff.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

Go online and book it. I'm groups six had it 11 days ago. I'd still be waiting if it were up to the local GP surgery.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

Never wrestle with pigs.
    Charming.
    LOL no you didn't.
    Reading your posts.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,428
    Barnesian said:

Essexit said:

I suspect the long-serving flunkeys in the institution have a lot of power. They determine the culture and the rules. The royals are trained to fit into that institution.

I also suspect that Meghan questioned that power. She was backed up by Harry and the flunkeys threw a hissy fit. Some even had PTSD after their authority was challenged. This has now emerged as Meghan bullying the staff.
    So we're supposed to believe everything Meghan says implicitly, but the faceless domestic drudges alleging bullying can fuck off - they just weren't ready for Meghan's sassy independence. What a shallow assumption.

I'd be interested to hear your view of the Patel bullying allegations too - another independent BAME woman shaking up the system. Presumably Phillip Rutnam is suffering from 'PTSD' after his 'authority was challenged'?

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Written over a year ago:

Branding experts purr that Harry and Meghan have an interest in preserving the integrity of their brand. But the logic of 21st-century capitalism is against a peaceful settlement. They will need more than Prince Harry’s inheritance, which is estimated at £20m-30m, to keep up with the global super-rich. Ensuring that their brand remains hot and providing their “distribution channels” with “content” will require them to extract more and more value from the monarchy—perhaps including revelations about racism and sexism at the heart of the royal family. The daylight that Walter Bagehot said should not be let in upon the magic of monarchy is as nothing to the glare of 21st-century capitalism.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2020/01/16/harry-meghan-and-marx
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I remember visiting America in the late 80s and early 90s on family holidays. Amazing atmosphere at that time, as if this was the greatest place and time on earth.

And how old were you at that point?
  • Options

Ah we're getting a good @HYUFD -splaining of America tonight. Lucky us.

It's as incisive as his analysis of Catalonia and Italy.

And Scotland.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You however have no interest in standing for anything but the weakening of the West, its culture and its values, you have nothing whatsover to do with conservatism in any form as you have finally confirmed tonight

I'm not sure that someone whose approach to preserving the cohesion of the West is to send the tanks into Edinburgh has the ultimate recipe for ensuring that freedom and democracy triumph over the Chinese.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

Never wrestle with pigs.
    Charming.
    LOL no you didn't.
    Reading your posts.
    But what in particular? It was an odd conclusion. I'm genuinely interested in how you got there.
This discussion has been closed.