Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LOST IN THE WOODS: Labour’s Challenge for the 2020s – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited March 2021 in General
imageLOST IN THE WOODS: Labour’s Challenge for the 2020s – politicalbetting.com

Cards on the table – I don’t understand the Labour Party any more. I used to – a quarter century of membership, Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, Councillor. Then, like so many long-term Labour voters, I left the party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Labour's top team as a weak as England's batting line up.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Labour's problems are amply demonstrated by its leader, a north London lawyer, getting it oh so wrong about levelling up yesterday. Put Darlington solidly in the blue column next time - and probably a raft of Red Wall seats too, if the Keir sneer is all they are going to get.
  • Options
    In Poland, 15,250 new cases were reported on Thursday, the highest since the previous peak in November. That's up 26% from the number of new cases reported seven days ago - it shows that the third coronavirus wave in Poland is gathering pace, health ministry officials say.
  • Options
    Vaccine take-up in London among people aged 80 and older continues to lag behind other regions of England, the latest NHS figure show.

An estimated 83.2% of people in this age group in the capital have had their first dose of Covid-19 vaccine, according to NHS England, while uptake in other regions is thought to be at least 95%.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    "COVID-19: Italy and EU block Oxford vaccine shipment to Australia"

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-italy-and-eu-block-oxford-vaccine-shipment-to-australia-12235848
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-italy-and-eu-block-oxford-vaccine-shipment-to-australia-12235848

While they have the cheek to be all high and mighty over the UK extending the NI grace period, calling us untrustworthy partners....
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited March 2021
    I suspect Rochdale Pioneers has aged into a Tory, but hasn't figured this out yet :)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    I wonder if Bashir will suddenly recover from being unwell.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I'm pretty pleased with my place as Health Secretary in PB's cabinet of woe as we all know that is where political careers go to die.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

That's strange. PB Brains Trust I get it. But First Minister vs some random doctor?

Who do you think has the better access to the bigger picture and advice?

PB Brains Trust, obv.
    While this is clearly a joke, in fact there has been some very sound thinking and advice on this very forum. There are enough experts from a wide variety of disciplines to contribute. A bit like how parliament ought to be, but sadly isn't.
    If pb was in charge of the pandemic response, it would have been 'different', but also interesting...
    How `bout this for a PB.com cabinet:

Prime Minister: Stodge
    Chancellor of the Exchequer: Contrarian
    Foreign Secretary: DavidL
    Home Secretary: Black Rook
    Justice: Kinabalu
    Health: Gallowgate
    Work and pensions: Nabavi
    Education: Ydoethur
    Department for International Trade: PT
    Defence: HYUFD
    Secretary of State for Scotland: MalcyG
    Chief Whip: Topping
    This a cabinet from the 1950s.

Cyclefree is making the tea, right ?
  • Options
    Cheers Rochdale, this is the sort of thing Labour should be looking at,

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1367425959327133701

It makes me realise how fortunate I have been.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Thank you for an excellent article. Two points:

The nearest thing, even if not very near, to the sort of Labour party you are wanting among the candidates for running the country is called the Conservatives. That's why lots of Labour voters now vote for them. The fact that Labour members describe these voters as scum etc is enough to ensure they won't come back.

The fact that the author of the article is not now a member of the Labour party after years of public service in and for that party tells me all I need to know about why I can't currently vote for them as a government, though I vote Labour for our county council. The excellent man I vote for (who wins) has not got a single good word to say about his own party on the national level.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    edited March 2021
    Andy_JS said:

In the next week Italy will hit the grim milestone of 100,000 dead (of course, in reality, they are already there, but still). They also suffered 22,000 cases today, the worst since the turn of the year

You can see why there are intense political pressures to do this. However it is a quick route to making the EU globally unpopular
  • Options
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

I see the City of Leicester has finally dipped below 200 cases per 100k. Good to see no more dark blue Upper Tier Local Authorities!
  • Options
    So, that national security risk who resigned in disgrace should be forced to resign again.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1367502708060663822
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    What an excellent header.

With an agenda like that I'd look to sign up.

As an ex-Tory member they might not want me, but, as @RP points out, they need me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Andy_JS said:

Can't help feeling that the rumoured EU er.... comment to Australia on the UK application for CPTPP is going to have the opposite effect intended....
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited March 2021

Labour's problems are amply demonstrated by its leader, a north London lawyer, getting it oh so wrong about levelling up yesterday. Put Darlington solidly in the blue column next time - and probably a raft of Red Wall seats too, if the Keir sneer is all they are going to get.

Starmer didn't sneer about Darlington at all. The full quote was on the last thread - did you read it? He was making a valid point that any government that was deadly serious about levelling up would be doing much more radical reform than was contained in yesterday's budget. I don't have a problem with what Sunak announced on Darlington and other measures (and nor does Starmer), and it's a start, but the structural reforms needed to really equalise power, wealth and influence across the regions will take a lot more genuinely redistributive measures than the Tories would countenance, I suspect. At the moment, the shifting of resources to the north seems to be mainly focused on securing marginal seats. Mind you, I'm not sure that the current Labour Party would countenance the sort of changes needed to move power away from London either.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Andy_JS said:

Ah, yes. That thing that definitively wasn't going to happen, because it was just an export monitoring system.
  • Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    algarkirk said:

Thank you for an excellent article. Two points:

The nearest thing, even if not very near, to the sort of Labour party you are wanting among the candidates for running the country is called the Conservatives. That's why lots of Labour voters now vote for them. The fact that Labour members describe these voters as scum etc is enough to ensure they won't come back.

The fact that the author of the article is not now a member of the Labour party after years of public service in and for that party tells me all I need to know about why I can't currently vote for them as a government, though I vote Labour for our county council. The excellent man I vote for (who wins) has not got a single good word to say about his own party on the national level.

Also a good post, and good points.

There is a smidgeon of a window on spending post-Covid given that we have become inured to the many billions flung around but I don't think the current lot have the finesse to seize the opportunity.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    UK case summary

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

That's strange. PB Brains Trust I get it. But First Minister vs some random doctor?

PB Brains Trust, obv.
    While this is clearly a joke, in fact there has been some very sound thinking and advice on this very forum. There are enough experts from a wide variety of disciplines to contribute. A bit like how parliament ought to be, but sadly isn't.
    If pb was in charge of the pandemic response, it would have been 'different', but also interesting...

Don't worry. I've been sacked after a rumpus at the first meeting and she is now at Justice.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    edited March 2021
    It's interesting how the Conservative Party can never get away from the upper-middle class / upper class vs lower/middle middle-class battle. It used to be Edward Heath vs Willie Whitelaw, then it was Margaret Thatcher vs Geoffrey Howe, John Major vs Michael Heseltine, David Davis vs David Cameron, and now it's Rishi Sunak vs Priti Patel.
  • Options
    Covid looking at grim rises in various places across the EU.

I hope we aren't relying on them not being stupid with any vaccine deliveries due to be imported. They'll just say "Ireland" - and steal them.
  • Options

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

Only if she brings her own PG Tips.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

Don't worry. I've been sacked after a rumpus at the first meeting and she is now at Justice.
    Gallowgate for Lord Chancellor please.
    Mr Meeks for Brexit Secretary?

• Options
    UK R

From cases data

From hospital admissions

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

Starmer didn't sneer about Darlington at all...
    Of course not. But he created a trap for himself which he stepped right into, providing a line for the Tories which they will push for all they are worth, exactly as MM is doing here.

It's a small illustration of why he's not a very good leader.

(And of course, irrespective of whether he intended to sneer, the fact that his inner ear didn't pick up the possible implication of what he said suggests that it's not impossible that he might.)
  • Options
    UK age related data

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

I hope we aren't relying on them not being stupid with any vaccine deliveries due to be imported. They'll just say "Ireland" - and steal them.

Ambrose at the Telegraph is getting all Cassandra about the EU

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/03/04/macron-joker-now-europe-blunders-fateful-third-wave-pandemic/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1344813&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Sub&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Sub20210304&utm_campaign=DM1344813

I do enjoy his articles. Often they are quite mad but they are always entertaining, and sometimes he nails a point like no one else

• Options
    UK age related data - scaled to 100K population per age group

• Options

Starmer didn't sneer about Darlington at all. The full quote was on the last thread - did you read it? He was making a valid point that any government that was deadly serious about levelling up would be doing much more radical reform than was contained in yesterday's budget. I don't have a problem with what Sunak announced on Darlington and other measures (and nor does Starmer), and it's a start, but the structural reforms needed to really equalise power, wealth and influence across the regions will take a lot more genuinely redistributive measures than the Tories would countenance, I suspect. At the moment, the shifting of resources to the north seems to be mainly focused on securing marginal seats. Mind you, I'm not sure that the current Labour Party would countenance the sort of changes needed to move power away from London either.
    Yes. Not to be po-faced but the standard of political debate is really heading south.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

I got on you being first out at 16/1....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Excellent thread RP.

Though now you've put the strange image of Starmer starring as Kristoff in Frozen 2 singing Lost in the Woods.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Great header. Truth is I think we’re well past the moment for a traditional “party of labour” in this country. I suspect its mission is only going to become relevant again when the robots - AI take all the jobs. Which very well may start to become obvious by the next election but one.

Malms: with positivity rates this low (and some false positives too) and absolute test numbers so high, how many cases are realistically being missed now?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

The shifting out of London had to start high up as all previous attempts have ended up being abject failures as senior civil servants tried to remain in London.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Andy_JS said:

Why on earth is Australia relying on the EU for their vaccines?
  • Options

Hence the sense in our deal with the big production centre in India for AZN......
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    It's a bit late for Labour to rush into the boomer cultural signifiers about the swinging Sixties or Empire nostalgia or twee towns, and to turn against millennials-Gen Z. That may well be a recipe to bury the Labour Party and replace it with a Conservative - Green party system.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Yes. Not to be po-faced but the standard of political debate is really heading south.
    Yes, that is pretty rubbish.

More pertinently, what are Keir's proposed changes to level up the North?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

THey're getting 50m doses from their own factory, and 3m imported (not anymore) whilst they wait for the factory to get going - so they're not really.

This is just the EU destroying their FDI numbers for domestic political consumption over doses they're incapable of finding takers for
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Interesting article, and some very good points.

As an aside, and apologies in advance - but is it just me that now has an image of Keir as Kristoff from Frozen? ;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jNbZIsBQU
  • Options

Having said that

2008/09 minimum wage £5.73

£5.73 in 2020 money is £7.82

2020/21 minimum wage is £8.72

That's an 11.5% increase in real terms.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    (OT) The descriptions of Biden as soft on China seem misplaced.

https://twitter.com/cliffordcoonan/status/1367513458078584833

...The first island chain consists of a group of islands including Taiwan, Okinawa and the Philippines, which China sees as the first line of defense. Beijing's "anti-access/area denial" strategy seeks to push American forces out of the East and South China seas within the first island chain....

China is not going to like this at all.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Sort of on topic, the fresh new face of SLab. I'm afraid the prospect of Goggsy Broon speechifying put me off watching it all the way through, but I imagine Anas was smart enough not to include a union flag.

https://twitter.com/PeterArnottGlas/status/1367503700864950283?s=20
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Interesting article, and some very good points.

As an aside, and apologies in advance - but is it just me that now has an image of Keir as Kristoff from Frozen? ;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8jNbZIsBQU

Not just you. Glad its not just me either ;)
  • Options
    @RochdalePioneers

Can what you suggest here - on tone and empathy - be combined with radical re-distributive policies, do you think?
  • Options

Having said that

Yep, my initial reaction to that stat is it must just be a massive negative mix effect from growing the bottom of the pyramid
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    maaarsh said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

THey're getting 50m doses from their own factory, and 3m imported (not anymore) whilst they wait for the factory to get going - so they're not really.

Ah right. That's what I thought (they should have their won factory making facilities)
  • Options

Having said that

I expect the biggest losers are the middle-classes.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I've been posting on here for a year now. (Before that I lurked, but was too busy to post because I had to earn a living - god knows how some people on here who still work find the time to post so much.) There remain many really interesting and thoughtful posters who contribute to debate, from all sides, and make me think. However, I'm pretty confident that there's been a notable increase over the last year in partisan point-scoring focusing on absolute trivia; it sort of mirrors the approach of a government in permanent campaigning, point-scoring mode, I guess. Far be it for me to suggest which side of the political spectrum most of the trivia comes from. And I'm not talking about the humorous posts, which are splendid - just the sort of fake news, attack the 'woke', gotcha posts.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

The pb.com cabinet has now moved from the 1950s to the early 1960s.

Much more work needed on EDI, pb.com is still way, way behind the wicked Tories
  • Options
    I posted this at the end of the last thread.
    It's not of any immediate alarm, but it's another indication of why we need to get the pandemic ended through vaccination as quickly as possible.

https://twitter.com/Bergthalerlab/status/1367508214233841669
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

It's a very interesting stat to look at in detail. In certain industries like ours wage growth has been phenomenal since 2009 but because of the way remuneration packages have changed wrt bonuses the actual overall pay has probably gone down since the 2007/8 bubble peaks.

In other industries the calculation actually hides significant wage growth at the bottom and top because there's a great mass of people earning between £22-35k who have seen very little wage growth.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    edited March 2021

Andy_JS said:

Can't help feeling that the rumoured EU er.... comment to Australia on the UK application for CPTPP is going to have the opposite effect intended....
    The Australians may have been trying to smooth things over - it's still middle of the night there - but I suspect there will be comment in a few hours time:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/europe-blocks-250-000-astrazeneca-doses-bound-for-australia-20210305-p577z3.html

A raft of international deliveries were authorised without a hitch over recent weeks, but Rome has now opposed the delivery to Australia. Rome’s objection was endorsed by the European Commission. Italy’s objection may have been lodged as long ago as last week – raising questions about whether the Australian government knew there was a problem but has not said anything publicly in the hope the standoff could be resolved.

AstraZeneca currently manufactures the vaccine in Netherlands and Belgium, but uses partners in Germany and Italy to “fill” the medication into into vials and package it. Comment has been sought from Australia’s Health Minister Greg Hunt. A European Union official confirmed a Financial Times report that the shipment had been blocked, but declined to comment. AstraZenca has also been contacted for comment.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

(OT) The descriptions of Biden as soft on China seem misplaced.

https://twitter.com/cliffordcoonan/status/1367513458078584833

...The first island chain consists of a group of islands including Taiwan, Okinawa and the Philippines, which China sees as the first line of defense. Beijing's "anti-access/area denial" strategy seeks to push American forces out of the East and South China seas within the first island chain....

China is not going to like this at all.

Good.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    Thank you Rochdale Pioneers for this piece.

In my view the clue is in the name: Labour.

It’s about jobs, meaningful jobs.
    And support from state services that allow all to live in dignity.

Rishi’s budget actually continues the austerity of the 2010s, and doesn’t really do anything for jobs with the exception of the corporate investment subsidy.

Keir does get this I think, if my scanning of his budget response is fair - but he hasn’t figured out how to communicate that properly to the public in a compelling way.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

So, that national security risk who resigned in disgrace should be forced to resign again.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1367502708060663822

No one resigns anymore. It is so old school. (North and South of the Border).
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Andy_JS said:

The Australians may have been trying to smooth things over - it's still middle of the night there - but I suspect there will be comment in a few hours time:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/europe-blocks-250-000-astrazeneca-doses-bound-for-australia-20210305-p577z3.html
    At this rate the Aussies will get kicked out of the Eurovision song contest.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It's not of any immediate alarm, but it's another indication of why we need to get the pandemic ended through vaccination as quickly as possible.

I wonder if we'll all have to have regular booster jabs every 12 months or so to take account of the variants. A little bit like how they tweak to the Flu jab every year?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ambrose at the Telegraph is getting all Cassandra about the EU

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/03/04/macron-joker-now-europe-blunders-fateful-third-wave-pandemic/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1344813&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Sub&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Sub20210304&utm_campaign=DM1344813

I do enjoy his articles. Often they are quite mad but they are always entertaining, and sometimes he nails a point like no one else

"The South African and Brazil variants top 10pc in eleven French departments, and 54pc in Moselle. The UK’s latest flap over an escaped case of the Brazil case seems surreal when set against events on our Continental doorstep."
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    That`s a very good header. I agree with most of it.

"Labour does not understand these voters. They are culturally conservative, economically prudent, nationalistic and insular. Labour aren’t any of these things any more. "

You say "Labour aren’t any of these things any more" but they never have been have they? The difference now is that they have been rumbled, chiefly over Brexit and their tolerance of identity-politics idiocy.
  • Options
    eek said:

The shifting out of London had to start high up as all previous attempts have ended up being abject failures as senior civil servants tried to remain in London.
    Yes, I don't disagree with that. As I said, it's a start. But real levelling up is a huge, huge project.
  • Options
    Get in there, lass!
  • Options

Get in there, lass!
    Lass????? :D
  • Options

Sort of on topic, the fresh new face of SLab. I'm afraid the prospect of Goggsy Broon speechifying put me off watching it all the way through, but I imagine Anas was smart enough not to include a union flag.

https://twitter.com/PeterArnottGlas/status/1367503700864950283?s=20

Brown's speech is a four second clip. It's not a bad PPB for selling what Labour are - which isn't much under the current circs.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

That`s a very good header. I agree with most of it.

"Labour does not understand these voters. They are culturally conservative, economically prudent, nationalistic and insular. Labour aren’t any of these things any more. "

You say "Labour aren’t any of these things any more" but they never have been have they? The difference now is that they have been rumbled, chiefly over Brexit and their tolerance of identity-politics idiocy.

Brexit is not economically prudent.
    Neither really are the blue wall voters, or they would not have voted for it.
  • Options
    Very much the top end of what you would get from a tribunal except in very extreme examples which this wasn't one.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

Yes, and it needs root & branch reform not mere tinkering. We need to get more women and minorities (inc young people under 55) to want to enter PB.com in the first place. The barriers must be removed and at least for a period there could be value in giving things a firm push with some affirmative action.
  • Options

Rishi’s budget actually continues the austerity of the 2010s, and doesn’t really do anything for jobs with the exception of the corporate investment subsidy.

Keir does get this I think, if my scanning of his budget response is fair - but he hasn’t figured out how to communicate that properly to the public in a compelling way.

Austerity is not quite the word for a Conservative government whose expenditure is £850 bn, a huge proportion of which is borrowed, and vast sums of which are redistributed to less well off people.

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder if we'll all have to have regular booster jabs every 12 months or so to take account of the variants. A little bit like how they tweak to the Flu jab every year?
    NigelB: I just saw another paper, which you may have posted, where some of the co-authors are from Novavax, which implied the opposite - that the T-cell response was very hardy to viral mutation as they recognize a larger number of epitopes than do antibodies.

Do you think the results of this study might, to some extent, be an artifact of doing a cell-free study, and looking at epitopes individually (if that is what they did), rather than at the total in vivo T-cell response?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

Starmer didn't sneer about Darlington at all...
    Of course not. But he created a trap for himself which he stepped right into, providing a line for the Tories which they will push for all they are worth, exactly as MM is doing here.

It's a small illustration of why he's not a very good leader.

(And of course, irrespective of whether he intended to sneer, the fact that his inner ear didn't pick up the possible implication of what he said suggests that it's not impossible that he might.)
    It would not be the first time Labour's mask has slipped - remember Gillian Duffy. The reason it resonates is because there is a kernel of truth there. The excellent header from RP - who I normally have little to agree with totally nailed the key problem. The educated m/c urban wing concentrated in London and university towns have a very different mindset from small town w/c regions where many of their traditional base live. Indeed the former now have a contempt for the latter - something probably unthinkable for the m/c Fabians of an earlier age. It is a real dilemma for the party. What saves it is the absence in England and Wales of a moderate centre left alternative.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

maaarsh said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Ah right. That's what I thought (they should have their won factory making facilities)
    I hope AZN sit on the doses - very uncomfortable for them, but this sort of behaviour can't be rewarded.
  • Options
    Actually, I like to think if we were still in the EU we would indeed have persuaded them to behave in a more reasonable way, so I suppose I agree with Layla Moran on this.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

Well you shouldn't have started a row about covering up the No 10 portrait of Maggie before we even started the first cabinet meeting.
  • Options

Having said that

The Coalition and Conservative Govts. since 2010 deserve considerable plaudits for pushing this up. They make Labour look very cheap. Almost Victorian mill-owner in comparison....
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Not so much lost in the woods but utterly unaware that its actually a forest.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

Well you shouldn't have started a row about covering up the No 10 portrait of Maggie before we even started the first cabinet meeting.
    Disraeli surely - it's a 1950s cabinet, no?
  • Options

eek said:

Yes, I don't disagree with that. As I said, it's a start. But real levelling up is a huge, huge project.
    But starts with small movements.

And having people on the ground seeing the real issues up close will help that far more than second hand anecdotes their hear from their glass tower in London.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    A pandemic which has been particularly harsh in the UK thanks to a series of government bungles has not only seen far more deaths than should have been, but needless economic pain as well.

Agree with most of the article, but not sure about the BiB above. The way I see it is that the perfect possible play involved a similar amount of economic pain but a much lower death toll.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

PB Brains Trust, obv.

Yes, and it needs root & branch reform not mere tinkering. We need to get more women and minorities (inc young people under 55) to want to enter PB.com in the first place. The barriers must be removed and at least for a period there could be value in giving things a firm push with some affirmative action.
    Haha.

In truth, PB could do with more women, younger folk, and people who don’t live in a semi-detached in the Midlands.
  • Options

Having said that

The Coalition and Conservative Govts. since 2010 deserve considerable plaudits for pushing this up. They make Labour look very cheap. Almost Victorian mill-owner in comparison....
    Of course Labour were the ones who implemented the Minimum Wage to begin with, and to much Conservative opposition I believe.
  • Options
    As a scot [Scotland being virtually a LAB-free zone nowadays] I'm always interested in hearing about the LAB party. Many very sensible suggestions here, great post.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    algarkirk said:

Austerity is not quite the word for a Conservative government whose expenditure is £850 bn, a huge proportion of which is borrowed, and vast sums of which are redistributed to less well off people.

Austerity to public services.
    Austerity in wage growth.
  • Options

Having said that

Of course Labour were the ones who implemented the Minimum Wage to begin with, and to much Conservative opposition I believe.
    Only of interest to historians. The Conservatives have now run with making it work - and found the money to fund it properly.
  • Options

Having said that

Only of interest to historians. The Conservatives have now run with making it work - and found the money to fund it properly.
    Government doesn’t fund the Minimum Wage, except as an employer.
This discussion has been closed.