Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump night have his base but for most Americans he’s electorally toxic – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    It is Brazil.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

France shares its longest land border with which country?

Spain?
    Too easy - got to be one of the overseas territories, seen as part of France proper. Guyana?
    Brazil?
    I said that upthread :)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    edited February 2021
    Lennon said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

Newton Heath LYR was the original name of which football club?

Bonus point for knowing what LYR stands for.

Looked it up. Very interesting.
    Yes, a great question!
    Lanashire and Yorkshire Railway, no?

Quite a lot of football clubs formed around railway works. Not many as successful as Newton Heath though.
    Presumably the historic railway link is why there are so many Man Utd fans from outside Manchester... ;)
    A couple of years back a London friend and I went to Woolwich to see what was left of the RN dockyard and the Arsenal, and have a look around the artillery museum just as it was packing up to make room for yuppies and property speculators. We found a pub had been installed in the actual Arsenal workshop whose staff had been the first members of Arsenal FC. A nice bit of social history to go with the beer and sandwiches.

https://www.dialarch.com/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My fav quiz question is

What decade saw the last US Civil War pension paid?

The last Union pensioner was Albert Woolson who died in 1956, but that was not the end of Civil War pensions. The last known widow died in 2008 and there were still at least two dependents receiving benefits in 2012.

2020s. It was last year. I have commented on it a couple of times on here since then.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/04/last-person-to-receive-pension-from-us-civil-war-dead-at-90/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My fav quiz question is

What decade saw the last US Civil War pension paid?

1980s?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    tlg86 said:

It is Brazil.

That's nuts!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Spain?
    Too easy - got to be one of the overseas territories, seen as part of France proper. Guyana?
    Brazil?
    I said that upthread :)
    I checked, you definitely said "Russia"
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,846
    Attlee, Eden, Heath And Cameron were the only post war UK PM's who failed to do what?
  • Options
    In what year did UK coal production peak?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's a really tough one.

Brigham Young is Utah's famously Mormon University. It is no surprise that both of Utah's Senators, Mitt Romney and Mike Lee, are graduates.

But two other US Senators are graduates. Can you name either of them?

Expecting British people to know 4 US Senators itself seems unreasonable - they're supposed to have some chance.
    OK.

This question'll help.

Utah has the highest proportion of Mormons of any US states. What are numbers two and three?
    Nevada and ? Idaho
  • Options
    I can't be arsed to word the question, but this would make for a great pub quiz.

Grandson of President John Tyler, Who Left Office in 1845, Dies at Age 95

Born 14 years after the nation’s founding, the tenth commander-in-chief still has one living grandson

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/grandson-10th-president-john-tyler-dies-180975992/
  • Options
    Only 44 days til the pubs open! 👍
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Brazil Russia
    Very funny @rcs1000 !
  • Options
    My favourite off the wall question is

'Which British celebrity told Picasso he couldn't draw and punched the Dalai Lama?'

• Options

'Which British celebrity told Picasso he couldn't draw and punched the Dalai Lama?'

Brian Blessed.
  • Options
    It is oft said that Mozambique joined the Commonwealth in 1995, the first member without any historic links to the Empire, but which port was a British Concession between 1891 and 1923?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Which Premiership ground has hosted a cricket test match ?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Bramall Lane.
  • Options

Justin incoming in 5...4...3....2...1....to tell.us it is still a good poll for Labour because of a similar situation in 1894.
    SKS fans please explain

Labour going backward in every poll.

Dont blame me I voted Nandy (DBMIVN)
    Its far from over for Gordon Brittas lookalikey....Boris is still useless and COVID has cost the country a small fortune and the economic fallout will scar the nation for years to come.
    He looks nothing like Chris Barrie!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

tlg86 said:

Would that be Bramall Lane?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Brazil Russia
    Very funny @rcs1000 !
    Mods privilege :smile:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Phew? 1977?

Just a wild guess.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Phew? 1977?

Just a wild guess.
    wow; about 1912
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

Justin incoming in 5...4...3....2...1....to tell.us it is still a good poll for Labour because of a similar situation in 1894.
    SKS fans please explain

Even tonight's Opinium poll still has a swing of 2% from the Tories to Labour since 2019, just the swing is all LD to Labour, the Tories are unchanged
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

I've got an hour to prepare 10 quiz questions again. Does anyone have any tidbits of questions to chuck my way? Think lowbrow (that's not deregatory to my friends, I apply the same designation to me).

TIA! :)

Who was buried in Grant's tomb?

(Thank you Groucho Marx.)
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Attlee, Eden, Heath And Cameron were the only post war UK PM's who failed to do what?

Really struggling with this - I'll guess something like take a pay rise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Seem UK is now started giving Moderna jabs...

Or as some people see it, installing Moderna software...
    https://twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1365715622584279041
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SKS fans please explain

Even tonight's Opinium poll still has a swing of 2% from the Tories to Labour since 2019, just the swing is all LD to Labour, the Tories are unchanged
    3.5 years to go to the election!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Jesus Christ! I knew she was sloppy and silly, but that's certifiable!
  • Options

My god. She's gone completely cuckoo.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gone?

I don't think I've ever seen anything from her that wasn't certifiable. I'm surprised Twitter still have her on their platform.
  • Options

Brian Blessed.
    I knew you would get that one given he is good South Yorkshire lad.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is it madness or what happens when well-intentioned analogies are taken literally?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474

stodge said:

Evening all :)

The question of what to do with ex-leaders is a hardy perennial for political parties everywhere.

The Conservatives have John Major, William Hague, Iain Duncan-Smith, Michael Howard, David Cameron and Theresa May in their ex-leaders club and they have certainly played very different roles since ceasing to be leader whether in support of or criticising the current leadership.

Labour have Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn and that's not been problem-free either.

It's easier when the ex-leader never got to the top job but when you have a former Prime Minister and Cabinet colleague behind you (as Thatcher had with Heath and Johnson does with May), it's even more problematic as the former Prime Minister is able to bring their own gravitas to the subject.

So much depends on whether the party itself has moved on - seven years after her departure, Thatcher's endorsement of William Hague proved significant in 1997. She had a much longer shadow over the Party than Blair or Brown had on Labour.

Indeed, parties are often very quick to move on from some leaders as the mood of the party changes abruptly but in the case of the GOP let's not forget the wounds are still open and the body warm. In 1990, some Conservative associations threatened to deselect MPs who voted against Thatcher but a more pragmatic approach prevailed. Has the GOP got any sense of pragmatism or is ideological purity all that matters? In a sense, that's the difference between a party and a faction.

It's the same question all parties confront - what is the price of power?

Most ex PMs have in recent years had the quiet dignity to leave the political scene behind.

Sadly not Theresa May.
    Theresa May does not have "gravitas". She is the definition of over-promotion.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Really struggling with this - I'll guess something like take a pay rise.
    That's a great guess. (No idea if it's right, but it's great all the same.)
  • Options

Off topic.

Get rid of one dimensional Eddie Jones.

RFU, make that call to Shaun Edwards!

Agreed. We are boring and actually quite shit. Surprised more people haven’t realised this.
    The box kick....again and again and again....today wasn't the worst for that, but since the WC, that has been England's gameplan.
    It’s predictable and dull.

Eddie Jones most go. We are a dour team.
    The worst thing about it is: England are oozing talent. They have amazing players. Yes, this is always true, as a bigger rugby nation they have a larger pool to trawl from, like France - but even so, the present generation is golden.

Eddie Jones has over-coached them, or something. They lack confidence and pzazz. This is largely the team which nailed the All Blacks in the World Cup semis two seasons ago (and should have won the Cup). Now they can't beat Scotland or Wales. Something has gone very wrong
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

kle4 said:

Is it madness or what happens when well-intentioned analogies are taken literally?
    In technology, physics and applied mathematics one routinely makes what are termed "mathematical models". But one must always remember that they are models, good or bad, of a real process. Who is Naomi Wolf anyway?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    rcs1000 said:

Either it's an elaborate joke or she really needs to seek psychiatric help.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Pro_Rata said:

Remember to flush the Number 10 loo when they left?
  • Options

Superb question. I'm not gonna Google.

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    Leon said:

The worst thing about it is: England are oozing talent. They have amazing players. Yes, this is always true, as a bigger rugby nation they have a larger pool to trawl from, like France - but even so, the present generation is golden.

Eddie Jones has over-coached them, or something. They lack confidence and pzazz. This is largely the team which nailed the All Blacks in the World Cup semis two seasons ago (and should have won the Cup). Now they can't beat Scotland or Wales. Something has gone very wrong

None of them have played much this season. 5 of them have 0 game time for their club.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Toms said:

kle4 said:

In technology, physics and applied mathematics one routinely makes what are termed "mathematical models". But one must always remember that they are models, good or bad, of a real process. Who is Naomi Wolf anyway?
    “Historian” and former Clinton advisor.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

Off topic.

Agreed. We are boring and actually quite shit. Surprised more people haven’t realised this.
    The box kick....again and again and again....today wasn't the worst for that, but since the WC, that has been England's gameplan.

There is loads of talent not in the squad as well. Marcus Smith, Ruaridh McConnochie, Lewis Ludlam, Paolo Odogwu.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Iran and its proxy are having a very busy couple of days
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

None of them have played much this season. 5 of them have 0 game time for their club.
    Sure, but they seem to have forgotten how to pass along the backs.

They were brilliant at it two years back, offloading like they were lobbing satsumas to the kids on Christmas Day, now they kick kick kick

That's coaching. And it isn't working
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    If tonight's Opinium of Con 43%, Lab 36%, LibDem 7% is mirrored in the local elections in May, the changes from the actual results of the previous locals in 2016 and 2017 will be:

2016:

Con +13%

Lab +5%

LibDem -8%

This would represent a swing of Lab to Con of 4% and of LibDem to Con of 11.5% and LibDem to Lab of 6.5%

2017:

Con +5%

Lab +8%

LibDems -11%

This would represent a swing of Con to Lab of 1.5% and of LibDem to Con of 8% and LibDem to Lab of 9.5%

Labour might have a bit to cheer as they mop up a few LibDem councillors, but don't look to be making net gains from the Tories, who will also be mopping up LibDems.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

It's just a little more mainstream and political than that....
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

They were brilliant at it two years back, offloading like they were lobbing satsumas to the kids on Christmas Day, now they kick kick kick

Owen Farrell kicking is way below his previous standards. He missed 3 easy-ish kicks today, which would have had England ahead at one point.

England are also missing the Manu tuilagi / Ben Te'o type player that can hit the line from centre and require 2-3 players to put them down. Slade is much lighter weight.
  • Options

Leon said:

Off topic.

There is loads of talent not in the squad as well. Marcus Smith, Ruaridh McConnochie, Lewis Ludlam, Paolo Odogwu.
    The Times rugby correspondent made a disturbing comparison the other day. Eddie Jones is England rugby's equivalent of Sven Goran Erikson. Given a truly brilliant generation of players, makes them somewhat better, but in the end makes them duller, and wins nothing.

Rugby is different, as there is less to win (and Jones has won 6N and so on), but it still perturbed me. Might be true. England could be turning into France 2010-2020: great players, mediocre team

• Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Owen Farrell kicking is way below his previous standards. He missed 3 easy-ish kicks today, which would have had England ahead at one point.

England are also missing the Manu tuilagi / Ben Te'o type player that can hit the line from centre and require 2-3 players to put them down. Slade is much lighter weight.
    Yes, Farrell needs to be dropped, if only to give him time to refocus. The 6N is lost. Time to Experiment. Replace some key players, see what works
  • Options
    Who is the oldest person to make it to he magnetic North Pole - and also punched a winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature?

"‘You must be the hard man everyone’s talking about.’ Then he took a swing."

The Nobel Winner "was without doubt a great dramatist — the heaviest of them all — but his punches were more Gilbert & Sullivan. I dodged a couple, then let go a quick left hook, which sent him tumbling backwards."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Off topic.

The Times rugby correspondent made a disturbing comparison the other day. Eddie Jones is England rugby's equivalent of Sven Goran Erikson. Given a truly brilliant generation of players, makes them somewhat better, but in the end makes them duller, and wins nothing.

Rugby is different, as there is less to win (and Jones has won 6N and so on), but it still perturbed me. Might be true. England could be turning into France 2010-2020: great players, mediocre team

I have heard one person explain this box kick tactic, its about how good international defences are and hiw fast they come up to the line...but a) I am not convinced, as every other team doesn't resort to it as their primary tactic and b) whats the point of having the likes of Watson, Cockasinga (when fit) in your team if he is never going to hit the line running with the ball....its like England football team playing Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and either playing it side to side at the back or whacking hopeful long balls...oh wait.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?
    It was clearly someone who had never stepped inside an art gallery. Picasso was an excellent draughtsman. Whether van Gogh had ever seen an actual sunflower is open to doubt though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

If tonight's Opinium of Con 43%, Lab 36%, LibDem 7% is mirrored in the local elections in May, the changes from the actual results of the previous locals in 2016 and 2017 will be:

2016:

Con +13%

Lab +5%

LibDem -8%

This would represent a swing of Lab to Con of 4% and of LibDem to Con of 11.5% and LibDem to Lab of 6.5%

2017:

Con +5%

Lab +8%

LibDems -11%

This would represent a swing of Con to Lab of 1.5% and of LibDem to Con of 8% and LibDem to Lab of 9.5%

Labour might have a bit to cheer as they mop up a few LibDem councillors, but don't look to be making net gains from the Tories, who will also be mopping up LibDems.

In theory, in practice I expect the LDs to do a bit better in the Home Counties in opposition to Local Plans and new developments.

Labour will make gains from the Tories in the county elections but maybe less so in the districts
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Didn’t move to the House of Lords?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Attlee got an Earldom.
  • Options

Leon said:

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?
    It was clearly someone who had never stepped inside an art gallery. Picasso was an excellent draughtsman. Whether van Gogh had ever seen an actual sunflower is open to doubt though.
    I've been to the monastery where Van Gogh lived in his final years, in St Remy de Provence (a touristy little town, but still worth a visit)

You can see the sunflowers from his bedroom. Indeed, you can go in the garden and snaffle a couple of the sunflower seeds, and then take them home, and plant them. And grow a Van Gogh sunflower. That's what we did.

Picasso was a brilliant draughtsman. He could draw before he could speak - literally: his first spoken words were, "piz! piz!" = "pencil! pencil!"
  • Options
    Leon said:

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?
    To help along if you have not already seen TSE's answer.

He told Picasso he couldn't draw when he was a child and the artist visited his father in Sheffield as part of a socialism conference. Picasso drew him a dove and he took issue at its depiction. Paul Robeson was also present but as far as I know he didn't insist he couldn't sing :)

When he was older he was a fairly successful boxer before becoming an actor. The Dalai Lama was and is a huge boxing fan and when he met him in India the Dalai Lama insisted they set up a ring and have a sparring match in the middle of the village.
  • Options

Leon said:

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?

He told Picasso he couldn't draw when he was a child and the artist visited his father in Sheffield as part of a socialism conference. Picasso drew him a dove and he took issue at its depiction. Paul Robeson was also present but as far as I know he didn't insist he couldn't sing :)

When he was older he was a fairly successful boxer before becoming an actor. The Dalai Lama was and is a huge boxing fan and when he met him in India the Dalai Lama insisted they set up a ring and have a sparring match in the middle of the village.
    Didn't he also reject Picasso's drawing, not knowing who he was, which infuriated his dad when he found out (who did)?

Brilliant story and a brilliant story teller.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Think International Relations.
  • Options

Leon said:

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?

HH Dalai Lama is a huge boxing fan?
    You do learn summat every day.
  • Options
    Jesus, I'm bored
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Didn't have a change of US President on their watch?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Correct, failed to serve opposite more than one US president.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In what year was the first Asian elected to Britain's parliament?

Like Gandhi, up until the 1890s many educated Indians saw themselves as fellow British subjects of the Empire.

We threw that away by not giving them self-governance fast enough.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

That's what watching England RU'll do.
  • Options

Who is the oldest person to make it to he magnetic North Pole - and also punched a winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature?

"‘You must be the hard man everyone’s talking about.’ Then he took a swing."

The Nobel Winner "was without doubt a great dramatist — the heaviest of them all — but his punches were more Gilbert & Sullivan. I dodged a couple, then let go a quick left hook, which sent him tumbling backwards."

The answer is, again, Brian Blessed....
  • Options
    Get your bingo cards out, it's a 'tax raid'. Perhaps we'll get lucky and it'll be a 'stealth' tax raid. It's already a 'plot'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

If we're honest, we all miss Trump. He WAS news....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021
    Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

While Eden especially didn't last long its amusing to have Attlee and Cameron on that short list considering they're relatively two of the longer serving postwar PMs. Also amusing that Cameron's and Attlee's length of tenure was less than a month apart.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

While Eden especially didn't last long its amusing to have Attlee and Cameron on that short list considering they're relatively two of the longer serving postwar PMs. Also amusing that Cameron's and Attlee's length of tenure was less than a month apart.
    And Brown, May and Callaghan got a change of President despite serving relatively short terms (and Boris got one very quickly too).

And Douglas-Home!
  • Options

Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

And Corbyn domestically.

Biden and Keith are no Trump and Jezza replacement for entertainment factor.

At least we have Boris.
  • Options
    Germany and France look set to approve the AstraZeneca Covid jab for the over 65s in a major U-turn aimed at speeding up their stuttering vaccine drives.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9307509/Germany-France-AstraZeneca-jab-65s-major-U-turn.html
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

Taps mic.....WRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Germany and France look set to approve the AstraZeneca Covid jab for the over 65s in a major U-turn aimed at speeding up their stuttering vaccine drives.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9307509/Germany-France-AstraZeneca-jab-65s-major-U-turn.html

They already have more than they're using, but hopefully this will turn around their reluctance somewhat.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

What a disaster.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

Maybe he'll listen and put on a show for you. Water into wine, heal a few cripples. That sort of thing.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/opiniumresearch/status/1365753572827295745?s=21

Boris has parked his bus on Labour’s lawn whilst delivering what is probably the most successful vaccination rollout in the world.

I can’t see where Labour go from here?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Off topic.

They're passive, submissive, and too political. Some take the knee, some don't. They're not unified. They have huddles and factions. They don't have the live fans to shake them out of it.

Ditch the prima donnas. Ditch the politics. Ditch the egos. Focus on superb team unity and excellence, and the rugby.

Just the rugby.
  • Options
    Smithers said:

Boris has parked his bus on Labour’s lawn whilst delivering what is probably the most successful vaccination rollout in the world.

Wait until the COVID bill have to be paid and there is years of difficult and unpopular decisions will have to be made.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    kle4 said:

They already have more than they're using, but hopefully this will turn around their reluctance somewhat.
    Too late, the damage is already done.
  • Options
    Smithers said:

They certainly don't seem to be prising off any of the 2019 Tories.
  • Options
    I bet these will be 75% of the full price, not 60% of the price.

The thing is going in will cost people several thousand quid extra a year, for basically nothing. They'll do it if they have to, but for employed WFH white collar workers they'll have less money than they do now:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/02/27/exclusive-flexible-rail-season-tickets-plan-tempt-commuters/
  • Options
    Leon said:

stodge said:

The question of what to do with ex-leaders is a hardy perennial for political parties everywhere.

The Conservatives have John Major, William Hague, Iain Duncan-Smith, Michael Howard, David Cameron and Theresa May in their ex-leaders club and they have certainly played very different roles since ceasing to be leader whether in support of or criticising the current leadership.

Labour have Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn and that's not been problem-free either.

It's easier when the ex-leader never got to the top job but when you have a former Prime Minister and Cabinet colleague behind you (as Thatcher had with Heath and Johnson does with May), it's even more problematic as the former Prime Minister is able to bring their own gravitas to the subject.

So much depends on whether the party itself has moved on - seven years after her departure, Thatcher's endorsement of William Hague proved significant in 1997. She had a much longer shadow over the Party than Blair or Brown had on Labour.

Indeed, parties are often very quick to move on from some leaders as the mood of the party changes abruptly but in the case of the GOP let's not forget the wounds are still open and the body warm. In 1990, some Conservative associations threatened to deselect MPs who voted against Thatcher but a more pragmatic approach prevailed. Has the GOP got any sense of pragmatism or is ideological purity all that matters? In a sense, that's the difference between a party and a faction.

Most ex PMs have in recent years had the quiet dignity to leave the political scene behind.

Sadly not Theresa May.
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Sadly not Theresa May.
    A good first lieutenant, not a captain.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

And Brown, May and Callaghan got a change of President despite serving relatively short terms (and Boris got one very quickly too).

And Douglas-Home!
    Without Googling it, I wonder how many have had two or more changes of POTUS? I don't think any have for decades as our longest serving PMs like Blair and Thatcher coincided with long serving Presidents.

It wouldn't surprise me if Boris outlasts Biden.
  • Options
    Smithers said:

There's time, but they'd have hoped to have broken through better admittedly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    Breaking: The sixth series of Line of Duty will begin on 21 March, the BBC has confirmed.
  • Options

Leon said:

stodge said:

Sadly not Theresa May.
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Sadly not Theresa May.
    A good first lieutenant, not a captain.
    Even that's generous.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: The sixth series of Line of Duty will begin on 21 March, the BBC has confirmed.

Really pushing the boat out this time...7 whole episodes.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,416

I've got an hour to prepare 10 quiz questions again. Does anyone have any tidbits of questions to chuck my way? Think lowbrow (that's not deregatory to my friends, I apply the same designation to me).

TIA! :)

How often is the 13th of the month a Friday?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited February 2021
  • Options

Smithers said:

Wait until the COVID bill have to be paid and there is years of difficult and unpopular decisions will have to be made.
    And years of Skyr saying "Yes, I agree with these difficult and unpopular decisions the Chancellor has had to make...."
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

*thinks*

Oliver Reed?

HH Dalai Lama is a huge boxing fan?
    You do learn summat every day.
    Brian Blessed, without Googling
  • Options

Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

And Corbyn domestically.

At least we have Boris.
    We'll always have Boris.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

Leon said:

Jesus, I'm bored

And Corbyn domestically.

At least we have Boris.
    We'll always have Boris.....
    There’s no vaccination against the curse of the clown.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Smithers said:

There's time, but they'd have hoped to have broken through better admittedly.
    I predicted Labour would be streets ahead by the summer. Still time. But doesn't look that way at the moment.
  • Options
    I think in the very long-term 50-60+ years £300 billion of debt is neither here nor there; it'll steadily be eroded by inflation and economic growth, and eventually paid back.

I'm much more interested in how the Government plan to close the new structural deficit in the budget by the mid-late 2020s (and, I think, so will be the markets) and their plans to stop this ever happening again.

Because there almost certainly will be a next time, and we can only do this once every 50 years (minimum).
This discussion has been closed.