Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump night have his base but for most Americans he’s electorally toxic – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,009
edited February 2021 in General
imageTrump night have his base but for most Americans he’s electorally toxic – politicalbetting.com

The above poll finding from the well-regarded Pew Research sets out simply the challenge Republican leaders have as they meet for their annual gathering CPAC gathering in Orlando this weekend.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First like England.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    First - like England should be.
  • Options
    Plenty of time for England to come through in the second half! 👍
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    edited February 2021
    I saw the word ‘toxic’ and thought for a moment this was going to be a thread on the rugby.

Edit - posts 2 and 3 say I thought right...
  • Options
    Donald Trump might be toxic but he's not as bad as Pascal Gauzere.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    About 10th.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Donald Trump might be toxic but he's not as bad as Pascal Gauzere.

His main problem is that he offers no path to the future. As President everything was already done.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,315
    I've got an hour to prepare 10 quiz questions again. Does anyone have any tidbits of questions to chuck my way? Think lowbrow (that's not deregatory to my friends, I apply the same designation to me).

TIA! :)
  • Options
    On topic:

Possibly. After all, Trump is a lying, cheating, vote fixing, incompetent, lazy, stupid looking wazzock who should be electoral poison in any sane country.

BUT

Poor old Joe Biden has an awful lot on his plate. The economy is a shambles. Healthcare is a much greater shambles. The international situation is very sticky and an oil shock could follow recent record lows. America’s infrastructure is in much the same state as ours, and for much the same reason. He has his own nutters to keep a careful watch on.

The next 18 months will be hard.

And Trump is always News, for good or ill. He may be a lunatic, but he’s a lunatic who can command attention and get his message out.

I don’t think I would be wagering much on this market at this stage.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    FTP

Fairliered said:

» show previous quotes
    The senior SNP people are likely to be staffers, rather than MPs or MSPs. People like Peter Murrell and Sue Ruddick.

Fairlie surely you know well some of the close circle involved, more than staffers involved in this conspiracy.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,300
    edited February 2021

I've got an hour to prepare 10 quiz questions again. Does anyone have any tidbits of questions to chuck my way? Think lowbrow (that's not deregatory to my friends, I apply the same designation to me).

In which war was the Battle of Norfolk fought?

Most people say the Norman invasion of England, or the English civil war, and some Americans say the American civil war, or the American war of independence.

The correct answer is the first Gulf War.

Today is the 30th anniversary of the Battle of Norfolk.
  • Options

Who was the first Muslim to captain the England cricket team?

A - Nasser Hussain.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    FPT
    MarqueeMark said:

» show previous quotes
    I reckon there's a significant portion of SNP support that would have no truck with her if they believed she was a liar. Their support might depart at least until she was replaced as First Minister - regardless of being given a "clean bill of health" by the Scottish Establishment.

significant portion already know she is a liar. Most people will hold their noses and vote SNP 1 but many will vote other independence parties with vote 2.
    Hopefully she is gone before election.
    If Salmond and a few big hitters join one of the independence parties then the game is a bogey.
  • Options
    Who was the only Prime Minister of the Uk Whose first language wasn’t English?

A - David Lloyd George.
  • Options
    For all the trouble the GOP are giving themselves at the moment, they'd really struggle to fluff getting the House back in 2022. It's close to an iron rule of politics that the incumbent party suffer in the House in the midterm, and the majority is very slim.

Indeed, Trump motivating the base may help them in a low turnout midterm even though it's a disaster in the bigger picture.

The Senate is another matter. The map isn't at all bad for Democrats, and picking very Trump-y candidates isn't going to help the GOP put Georgia and Arizona (easily their best prospects but with new Democrat incumbents) back in their column, or help them hold onto Pennsylvania or Wisconsin (Biden states at least one of which has the incumbent standing down - and Ron Johnson isn't a massively strong incumbent even if he renages on his 2016 commitment to call it a day in Wisconsin).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    This raises a bunch of interesting questions:

(1) There are a reasonable number of Republican Senators, Governors and even a couple of Representatives who supported the Impeachment of former President Trump. Are they simply not welcome? Are Sasse and Romney and Cheney* effectively barred from CPAC? Or are they going to have stage time too?

(2) Does this mean we're going to have a rush of primary challenges? I could easily see Murkowski challenged (again), lose the Republican Primary (again), and then walk it at as a write in (again). If that happens, is she really going to rejoin the Republican caucus?

(3) Trump is very popular with 60% of Republicans, but *really* unpopular with a lot of Democrats, and pretty unpopular with Independents too. If the 2022 elections are a referendum on Biden, then the Republicans probably walk them. If they're a referendum on Trump, then you could see that rarest of things: a party going forward in their first mid-terms.

* Note, I'm choosing Conservatives here
  • Options
    Congratulations to the Welsh for their first legitimate try of the match.
  • Options

Most people say the Norman invasion of England, or the English civil war, and some Americans say the American civil war, or the American war of independence.

Love it.
  • Options

For all the trouble the GOP are giving themselves at the moment, they'd really struggle to fluff getting the House back in 2022. It's close to an iron rule of politics that the incumbent party suffer in the House in the midterm, and the majority is very slim.

Indeed, Trump motivating the base may help them in a low turnout midterm even though it's a disaster in the bigger picture.

The Senate is another matter. The map isn't at all bad for Democrats, and picking very Trump-y candidates isn't going to help the GOP put Georgia and Arizona (easily their best prospects but with new Democrat incumbents) back in their column, or help them hold onto Pennsylvania or Wisconsin (Biden states at least one of which has the incumbent standing down - and Ron Johnson isn't a massively strong incumbent even if he renages on his 2016 commitment to call it a day in Wisconsin).

I think the Republicans have to be favourites in Georgia, but I think Arizona will be a much tougher call for them. Mark Kelly is a great, moderate candidate.

Pennsylvania (no incumbent) and Wisconsin are going to be very interesting battles. I'd guess the former goes Blue and the latter stays Red.

Which probably leaves us at 50-50... except, I think it's highly likely that Alaska will have a genuinely Independent Senator.
  • Options

To the nearest minute, how long does the Earth take to rotate once?
  • Options

And afterwards, at the local place of ease, there was a battle for the Norfolk Broads.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Now the ref is trolling England. That went backwards
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Course the problem with Rugby Union is the Laws are open to interpratation, and not at all clear.
    I draw your attention to Law 11 here.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/11/?highlight=Knock

It simply does not mention whether the ball has to touch the ground.
    Therefore, is a juggle a knock on? It used to be, but not now.
    And when does a knock on become a kick? Technically every kick from hand could be seen as a knock on, as the ball goes forward onto the foot.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The Earth rotating makes my day.
  • Options
    In what year was the first Asian elected to Britain's parliament?

• Options

Who was the first president of the United States? Both the Continental Congress and the Articles of Confederation-governed nation had several people in this position. (Respectively Peyton Randolph and John Hanson as the first in each.)

hours of tiresome fun as people argue back and forth about it.

• Options

tlg86 said:

The Earth rotating makes my day.
    :)

Your days are four minutes shorter than everyone else.

23 Hours 56 Minutes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

Which MP pretended to be a while goods salesman...
  • Options
    If the quizees are middle-aged, how many chemical elements are there?
    A 118 but most people will have left school with 103 or 106.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

White
  • Options
    And on music (and yes, I know I've posted this already), who said:

"if Thom Yorke fucking shit into a light bulb and started blowing it like an empty beer bottle it’d probably get 9 out of 10 in fucking Mojo"?

Noel Gallagher
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

(2) Does this mean we're going to have a rush of primary challenges? I could easily see Murkowski challenged (again), lose the Republican Primary (again), and then walk it at as a write in (again). If that happens, is she really going to rejoin the Republican caucus?

There won't be a Republican primary for Senate in Alaska in the conventional sense, as the voting system has changed.

Instead, there will be an all-party open primary, with the top four (which she will almost certainly make) progressing to the General Election in November, which will be decided by ranked choice voting.

So she'll have a challenger from the right (perhaps more than one), but won't lose a primary election or need to run from outside the Republican Party.

• Options
    Which planet (in our solar system) has the shortest day?

Jupiter
  • Options
    Which Beatle was the last to get a number one single in the US?

George Harrison
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

Great! I'm right to assume it's Welsh, right? I'll look pretty stupid if it turns out to be Italian.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

There won't be a Republican primary for Senate in Alaska in the conventional sense, as the voting system has changed.

Instead, there will be an all-party open primary, with the top four (which she will almost certainly make) progressing to the General Election in November, which will be decided by ranked choice voting.

So she'll have a challenger from the right (perhaps more than one), but won't lose a primary election or need to run from outside the Republican Party.

Ranked choice voting? Do you mean the alternative vote system?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

Fridge auto correct.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That makes her a raging cert to hold onto her seat, I would have thought.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

Great! I'm right to assume it's Welsh, right? I'll look pretty stupid if it turns out to be Italian.
    Yes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

George Harrison

Classy question!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited February 2021
    29% is over half the 47% who voted for Trump in 2016, which means Trump will retain hold over the GOP for the foreseeable future even if he is unlikely to return to office in 2024
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

George Harrison

Classy question!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_71w4UA2Oxo&ab_channel=GeorgeHarrisonVEVO
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

Fridge auto correct.
    Think it was washing machine actually????
  • Options
    You could also ask:

Which Beatle produced the best selling solo album, and what was it?

George Harrison
    All Things Must Pass
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

A - David Lloyd George.

Fridge auto correct.
    Think it was washing machine actually????
    Early versions of autocorrect corrected ‘fuck’ to ‘fridge’ and I was attempting without apparent success to make a truly convoluted pun on Boris Johnson’s famous question evasion strategy.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

I think the Republicans have to be favourites in Georgia, but I think Arizona will be a much tougher call for them. Mark Kelly is a great, moderate candidate.

Pennsylvania (no incumbent) and Wisconsin are going to be very interesting battles. I'd guess the former goes Blue and the latter stays Red.

Which probably leaves us at 50-50... except, I think it's highly likely that Alaska will have a genuinely Independent Senator.
    Mark Kelly was a great candidate in November, but he basically won by almost exactly the same margin as Raphael Warnock managed in Georgia in the run-off.

And Warnock himself is a good candidate, and may be rather well placed to drive turnout among black voters in a low turnout election. Additionally, the situation in the Georgia GOP must be really toxic just now and there will be a poisonous Governor race on at the same time where my guess is Doug Collins will defeat Governor Brian Kemp in a brutal and bloody primary battle before limping on to defeat against Stacey Abrams in November.

Democrats really have their tails up in Georgia, basically, and Republicans are in an awful situation.
  • Options
    Which year were the Battles of Lexington and Concord.. A 1775 initial skirmishes in American War of Independence.

When America chose English over German as the national language how may votes did English win.by ,?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You could also ask:

George Harrison
    All Things Must Pass

Who was the oldest person to have a no. 1 single in the U.K.?

Answer - Tom Moore.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,252
    edited February 2021
    The problem for the Republicans is that while just 29% of the voters want to see Trump on the national stage, the percentage of active Republicans grass roots who want that is much much higher.

And as moderates leave the party, that just grows.

So Trump has a lock on a party that looks increasingly toxic to the rest of America.

EDIT

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/10/26/what-the-2020-electorate-looks-like-by-party-race-and-ethnicity-age-education-and-religion/

29% of Americans identify as Republicans.....
  • Options

Which year were the Battles of Lexington and Concord.. A 1775 initial skirmishes in American War of Independence.

When America chose English over German as the national language how may votes did English win.by ,?

Answer is one vote majority
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    rcs1000 said:

You could also ask:

George Harrison
    All Things Must Pass

Yes. I believe he was also the first Beatle to have a solo number 1.
  • Options

The answer is none, because the United States doesn’t have a national language.

What Muhlenburg actually did was refuse a vote that would Have allowed the proceedings of Congress to be translated into German, which is a bit different.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

rcs1000 said:

Mark Kelly was a great candidate in November, but he basically won by almost exactly the same margin as Raphael Warnock managed in Georgia in the run-off.

And Warnock himself is a good candidate, and may be rather well placed to drive turnout among black voters in a low turnout election. Additionally, the situation in the Georgia GOP must be really toxic just now and there will be a poisonous Governor race on at the same time where my guess is Doug Collins will defeat Governor Brian Kemp in a brutal and bloody primary battle before limping on to defeat against Stacey Abrams in November.
    Excellent points.

That being said... Arizona is going to have a big battle over their Governor too. Ducey is well liked, and would probably walk the election if he were the Republican candidate. But it's entirely possible he won't be, because he failed to hand the election to Trump. Kelli Ward is the Chair of the Republican Party in Arizona and she is stark raving bonkers.
  • Options
    Nigel Godrich is best known for producing Radiohead albums, but he also produced what album by Paul McCartney?

Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118

Ah, the Muhlenberg Legend. Surprised to see people still believing in it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhlenberg_legend
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    edited February 2021
    What's the 3rd most populated island in the British Isles?

A: Portsea Island (beating the Isle of Wight on population)
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Excellent points.

That being said... Arizona is going to have a big battle over their Governor too. Ducey is well liked, and would probably walk the election if he were the Republican candidate. But it's entirely possible he won't be, because he failed to hand the election to Trump. Kelli Ward is the Chair of the Republican Party in Arizona and she is stark raving bonkers.
    Yes, Kelli Ward is a disaster for the GOP in Arizona. Arizona has trended Democrat, of course, but still shouldn't really be all that purple. 2020 was the first time it voted for the Democrats at a Presidential election since Clinton's 1996 re-election landslide, and the last time before that was 1948. It's been fairly reliably red at Senate level until Sinema in 2018 - and she is very much a Blue Dog in the manner of Manchin in West Virginia.

They've thrown away those Senate seats and electoral votes recently, and have Ward and Co to blame far more than any demographic trends.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Ah, the Muhlenberg Legend. Surprised to see people still believing in it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhlenberg_legend
    I love it though - I might try to fashion a question around it anyway.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Lennon said:

A: Portsea Island (narrowly beating the Isle of Wight on population)

The Isle of Wight?

Edit - answered before I did!
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    edited February 2021

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Excellent points.

Yes, Kelli Ward is a disaster for the GOP in Arizona. Arizona has trended Democrat, of course, but still shouldn't really be all that purple. 2020 was the first time it voted for the Democrats at a Presidential election since Clinton's 1996 re-election landslide, and the last time before that was 1948. It's been fairly reliably red at Senate level until Sinema in 2018 - and she is very much a Blue Dog in the manner of Manchin in West Virginia.

They've thrown away those Senate seats and electoral votes recently, and have Ward and Co to blame far more than any demographic trends.
    I must admit, I like Sinema very much.
  • Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Newton Heath LYR was the original name of which football club?

Bonus point for knowing what LYR stands for.
  • Options
    UK R

from case data

from hospitalisation data

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Here's a really tough one.

Brigham Young is Utah's famously Mormon University. It is no surprise that both of Utah's Senators, Mitt Romney and Mike Lee, are graduates.

But two other US Senators are graduates. Can you name either of them?
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Looked it up. Very interesting.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Man Utd

Lancashire Yorkshire Railway?
  • Options
    Since the formation of the Football League in 1888-89, which is the only football club to have won the FA Cup as a non-league side?
  • Options
    Belatedly realising I have far too many Welsh people in my life.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Since the formation of the Football League in 1888-89, which is the only football club to have won the FA Cup as a non-league side?

The biggest and original club from North London.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Joining the choir may have been a mistake then.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,475
    "New Zealand's largest city, Auckland, goes in lockdown after 1 new Covid-19 case found"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/new-zealand-s-largest-city-auckland-goes-lockdown-after-1-n1259037
  • Options
    Lennon said:

A: Portsea Island (beating the Isle of Wight on population)

That's a great question.
  • Options

We get everywhere, don’t we?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"New Zealand's largest city, Auckland, goes in lockdown after 1 new Covid-19 case found"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/new-zealand-s-largest-city-auckland-goes-lockdown-after-1-n1259037

Which is why "zero Covid, lock the borders" is a *really* difficult trick to pull off.

Thank goodness for Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavx, J&J and others.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Looked it up. Very interesting.
    Yes, a great question!
  • Options
    What's the video about, has he been suspended from his own party?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,498
    Slightly off the point but there was a Turkish (in modern geography) Archbishop of Canterbury in 668.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The biggest and original club from North London.
    Fake news - they weren't in London back then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex#Extra-metropolitan_area
  • Options
    Which was Hollywood's first inter-racial pairing on screen?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Excellent points.

I must admit, I like Sinema very much.
    She's going to be really hard to dislodge for the Arizona GOP now she's in. They stupidly vacated the centre ground (which is fairly firmly right of centre in that state) and discarded the McCain-style bipartisan mantle. She gladly took it on, and it's going to be tough for them to get that back for a long time.
  • Options

William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols.
  • Options

William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols.
    It was in 1935.....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The decision to not approve it for over 65s and the whole briefing war against has really turned into a massive disaster for the whole of Europe. Hopefully they'll reverse these decisions and at risk people get immunised asap. The Times saying that the French are starting a new PR war to get people on side and that most EU countries are set to reverse their over 65s ban on AZ due to the hugely positive real world data from the UK. Sadly it's going to be too late for thousands of people who will die that could have been immunised.
  • Options
    This is slightly misleading.

Firstly, Germany (stupidly IMO) reserves a second dose when someone has the first. That means that - given the optimal 12 week gap - you pretty much guarantee at least half of all AZ vaccines will be unused early in the roll out.

Secondly, there will always be vaccines in the supply chain that have been recieved but not reached distribution centres.

Yes, Germany's roll out of AZ has been appalling, as has France's. But the numbers aren't quite as bad as they look.

And I also don't think that demanding that companies break contractual arrangements is the smartest thing to do right now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Firstly, Germany (stupidly IMO) reserves a second dose when someone has the first. That means that - given the optimal 12 week gap - you pretty much guarantee at least half of all AZ vaccines will be unused early in the roll out.

Secondly, there will always be vaccines in the supply chain that have been recieved but not reached distribution centres.

Yes, Germany's roll out of AZ has been appalling, as has France's. But the numbers aren't quite as bad as they look.

And I also don't think that demanding that companies break contractual arrangements is the smartest thing to do right now.
    Isn't that also a their own fault though, reserving half of the doses for 12 weeks seems pointless.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,602
    algarkirk said:

Slightly off the point but there was a Turkish (in modern geography) Archbishop of Canterbury in 668.
    If Lloyd-George was a native Cymraeg speaker (as someone has pointed out on PB today) surely he also counts?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Quite enjoying the stuff around the EU introducing a version of English tailored for EU use :-).

I can give them the German word for what they are doing: "Clusterfick".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I mentioned before that Polish and German friends are getting anti-AZN statements from *doctors*

Some of it is anti-vax grade stuff - "AZN *causes* variants in the virus"...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

If Lloyd-George was a native Cymraeg speaker (as someone has pointed out on PB today) surely he also counts?
    Does that count? There must be a cut-off point, or you could argue Normans or Anglo Saxons or Picts are an ethnic minority could you not?
This discussion has been closed.