Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For the first time since July Johnson is back on top in YouGov’s “Best PM” ratings – politicalbettin

123457»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Daily Mail:
    - relaxations every 4 weeks from 8 March (starting with schools)
    - retail plus outside sports at Easter
    - pubs and restaurants early May: two households inside, rule of 6 outside
    - rule of six inside early June
    - no rule of six but with social distancing early July

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9267563/Roadmap-lockdown-Blueprint-UKs-future-suggests-pubs-business-May.html

Much, much slower than my expectation.
    Hopefully the government will be guided by the numbers, and hopefully the UK will keep getting jabs in arms.

Well yes but they already know some of the most vital numbers.

30 April - PG1-4 two doses, PG5-9 one dose.
    Add three weeks, the next Monday is 24 May. There should be minimal risk from this point on.

So why then wait until July to properly reopen pubs?
    I agree.

Indeed, I suspect that we'll soon be able to see from Israel that one can move fairly quickly once you have a large proportion of the population vaccinated.
    The suggestion of pubs opening outside only in late March as mentioned in the press last weekend appears to be losing ground. The government may be taking the view of 'are pubs really viable outside only' especially in April when it can be cold. As well of course as reflecting the pressure from the scientists which we know is being applied to slow the release.

In 2020 there was lots of talk of pubs opening outside only on around 10 June. That didn't happen but when 4 July came we had access to pubs inside and outside which was quicker than many expected, certainly me for inside,
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9267563/Roadmap-lockdown-Blueprint-UKs-future-suggests-pubs-business-May.html

Early fucking May for pubs and restaurants? Fuck that. Let us live or die and take our chances.
    It's much too cautious. Hopefully Conservative backbenchers force a much faster timetable.
    I'd be shocked if there aren't already quite a few letters lodged with Sir G. Brady. 63 signed the CRG letter demanding all restrictions removed by end of April. If the roadmap isn't up to snuff for making our economy function again soon, SGB's postman will be busy....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,101

Daily Mail:

Told you yesterday, MPs are taking no chances with the risk of another lockdown.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Daily Mail:

Told you yesterday, MPs are taking no chances with the risk of another lockdown.
    As I see it, those Tory MPs who hope for promotion are taking no chances by defying the leadership.

Harper and Baker are right on this.

Not only will there soon be no need for the restrictions, they'll be actively scorned within weeks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Honestly, if they take all summer to open up and then start battening down a few weeks later for autumn I will probably go insane.

Then the virus mutates, we have go through another round of vaccinations and we are back to square 1 again, probably for years, certainly in winter
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Honestly, if they take all summer to open up and then start battening down a few weeks later for autumn I will probably go insane.

Then the virus mutates, we have go through another round of vaccinations and we are back to square 1 again, probably for years, certainly in winter
    We can't put our lives on hold for a what if.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

"Opinium were, of course, the most accurate pollster etc etc"

Ooer

For all pollsters

Do LotO's ever start off with good Positive and NS numbers as Sir Keir did, lose them in this way, then recover to become PM?
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

"Opinium were, of course, the most accurate pollster etc etc"

Ooer

For all pollsters

Do LotO's ever start off with good Positive and NS numbers as Sir Keir did, lose them in this way, then recover to become PM?
    Dunno about the starting points, but Thatcher and Cameron both went net negative before turning things round and winning;

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/opposition-party-leaders-ipsos-mori-satisfaction-ratings-1977-2019

Basically, as a people, we're grumpy and hard to please.
    Possibly more evidence that gross positives are more of an indicator than NS in Cameron's case

Especially as that last poll was after the GE!
  • Options
    Seems like unanimous crosspartisan contempt for "Dr Wolf". Doesn't seem to be anyone at all who respects her, don't think I've seen such a unanimous opinion across this board before.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Endillion said:

I promise to emigrate to France and vote for him if he names the party "Laboratoire Barnier".
    Barnier & Friends would also be acceptable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

In the previous thread it was suggested that Comres has No back leading in Scotland 52% - 48%. On close inspection, however, the figures appear to relate to Feb 2020 - not Feb 2021. Why attach significance to a poll now a year old? Or has there been a typo error?

I'm assuming it's an error, because I went to the company's website to check. They're running a monthly tracker on behalf of The Scotsman, the most recent edition of which was issued five days ago and gave a split of Yes 47, No 42, DK 10. This is something of a narrowing relative to the comparable figures for December and January, but still shows a pro-independence lead.
    So the typo relates to the headline poll figures - rather than the date given?
    No, he typed the year wrong. He believes that with consistent weighting, No now has a narrow lead

Btw I’ve no idea if he’s right - just repeating his tweet

https://twitter.com/scotfax/status/1361601069730643968?s=21

He got completely the wrong poll commissioner

https://twitter.com/scotfax/status/1361604515464626178?s=19

He's compared apples to oranges and claimed the comparison is still valid because they are fruit.

His whole thesis was predicated on Angus Robertson's chicanery.
    That makes sense. An over-excited unionist

On the wider point I believe he is right, however. It’s tightening.

It’s also academic. Boris will long grass Sindyref2 with a Royal Commission

That's the obvious way to put the issue off and to attempt to develop a potential compromise solution; whilst the Westminster parties won't accede to a proper federal solution with an English Parliament (two reasons; they don't want to split the office of Prime Minister in two in this way because they want to play with the whole train set rather than choose a half, and some of them also worry that a federation that lop-sided couldn't survive,) it may be possible to achieve a fudge that everyone can live with.

Broadly speaking, one can envisage a situation in which Scotland is offered, and its electorate might be willing to accept, a loose confederacy with the remainder of the UK, with reserved competencies shrink to a minimal core of a common defence, foreign and trade policy, the currency, a simplified mechanism of transfer payments to replace Barnett, and little else. Most, but not all, revenue raising competencies would necessarily be devolved to Scotland as part of this process.

That would still leave Scottish MPs with the right to vote confidence and participate in a UK Government, most of the activities of which no longer affected Scotland. However, with Barnett and the resultant problem of the consequential payments thrown in the dustbin, it should be possible to pass legislation to bar Scottish MPs at Westminster from voting on anything other than reserved matters, which would provide an imperfect but workable resolution to the West Lothian Question. Any UK Government critically reliant on Scottish votes to command a Commons majority would then be required to share power with the Opposition through some formal mechanism of cohabitation, or call an election. This is similar to what already happens in some non-Westminster systems elsewhere in the world (notably in the United States and France, if voters return a President and legislature from opposing parties,) so it could also be made to work here.
    It’s also the ideal moment to finally reform the Lords into a Federal Senate, sitting in all four capitals year by year. Senators/Lords who don’t want to move could work from home
    No harm to Boris in setting up that huge overview. Blame Blair's half-arsed reforms.

He can take that to Scotland. The SNP would blink on the second Referendum.

It'll probably see him out as PM.
  • Options

Daily Mail:

Tens of millions vaccinated and millions more every week - with a phased, even a quick phased, unlocking there is no risk already.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

In the previous thread it was suggested that Comres has No back leading in Scotland 52% - 48%. On close inspection, however, the figures appear to relate to Feb 2020 - not Feb 2021. Why attach significance to a poll now a year old? Or has there been a typo error?

I'm assuming it's an error, because I went to the company's website to check. They're running a monthly tracker on behalf of The Scotsman, the most recent edition of which was issued five days ago and gave a split of Yes 47, No 42, DK 10. This is something of a narrowing relative to the comparable figures for December and January, but still shows a pro-independence lead.
    So the typo relates to the headline poll figures - rather than the date given?
    No, he typed the year wrong. He believes that with consistent weighting, No now has a narrow lead

Btw I’ve no idea if he’s right - just repeating his tweet

https://twitter.com/scotfax/status/1361601069730643968?s=21

He got completely the wrong poll commissioner

https://twitter.com/scotfax/status/1361604515464626178?s=19

He's compared apples to oranges and claimed the comparison is still valid because they are fruit.

His whole thesis was predicated on Angus Robertson's chicanery.
    That makes sense. An over-excited unionist

On the wider point I believe he is right, however. It’s tightening.

It’s also academic. Boris will long grass Sindyref2 with a Royal Commission

That's the obvious way to put the issue off and to attempt to develop a potential compromise solution; whilst the Westminster parties won't accede to a proper federal solution with an English Parliament (two reasons; they don't want to split the office of Prime Minister in two in this way because they want to play with the whole train set rather than choose a half, and some of them also worry that a federation that lop-sided couldn't survive,) it may be possible to achieve a fudge that everyone can live with.

Broadly speaking, one can envisage a situation in which Scotland is offered, and its electorate might be willing to accept, a loose confederacy with the remainder of the UK, with reserved competencies shrink to a minimal core of a common defence, foreign and trade policy, the currency, a simplified mechanism of transfer payments to replace Barnett, and little else. Most, but not all, revenue raising competencies would necessarily be devolved to Scotland as part of this process.

That would still leave Scottish MPs with the right to vote confidence and participate in a UK Government, most of the activities of which no longer affected Scotland. However, with Barnett and the resultant problem of the consequential payments thrown in the dustbin, it should be possible to pass legislation to bar Scottish MPs at Westminster from voting on anything other than reserved matters, which would provide an imperfect but workable resolution to the West Lothian Question. Any UK Government critically reliant on Scottish votes to command a Commons majority would then be required to share power with the Opposition through some formal mechanism of cohabitation, or call an election. This is similar to what already happens in some non-Westminster systems elsewhere in the world (notably in the United States and France, if voters return a President and legislature from opposing parties,) so it could also be made to work here.
    It’s also the ideal moment to finally reform the Lords into a Federal Senate, sitting in all four capitals year by year. Senators/Lords who don’t want to move could work from home
    That's one thing that won't happen. Lords reform is the radioactive hot potato that nobody wants to handle. Voters aren't interested, agreement on a model will prove nigh-on impossible, and on no account will the Commons want to create a rival second chamber with genuine democratic legitimacy. It's bad enough for them having a constantly angry opposing body located four hundred miles away in Edinburgh, let alone another one in the same building.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

Seems like unanimous crosspartisan contempt for "Dr Wolf". Doesn't seem to be anyone at all who respects her, don't think I've seen such a unanimous opinion across this board before.

I had never heard of her, it turns out. I thought I’d read her book, No Logo, back in days of yore, but that was by another Naomi!
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I promise to emigrate to France and vote for him if he names the party "Laboratoire Barnier".
    Vote Barnier, as Macron is not elitist enough!

I am sure Le Pen and Melenchon would be pleased, it would increase the chances of Macron failing to make the run off
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I am sure Le Pen and Melenchon would be pleased, it would increase the chances of Macron failing to make the run off
    I would vote for Barnier over Macron in a heartbeat.

I suspect he'll do well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    HYUFD said:

It is worth remembering that the data from Israel is that the Pfizer vaccine (and therefore probably Moderna too) offers strong protection against the SA variant. There has been no mutation yet that has really put any kind of dent in the success of the mRNA vaccines.

(And even if one did, it would (a) only be a dent and (b) it would be relatively easy to tweak the vaccine accordingly)
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Plus cases of Grand Barnier to keep warm on the campaign trail.
    I predict a Barnstorming performance!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I would vote for Barnier over Macron in a heartbeat.

I suspect he'll do well.
    He might, he might also take enough of the Macron vote in the first round that neither get to the run off and you end up with the nightmare of a Melenchon v Le Pen second round
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

He'll have to do better than that.

Barnstorming

Barnierstorming

Barnieststorming......
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I'm afraid of this problem as well (and in my darker moments I do worry that the scientists may arm twist the Government into keeping heavier restrictions than necessary and for a lot longer than is necessary to boot,) but if we try not to think of the most dire possible outcome for a minute and instead consider the real probabilities, the kind of total vaccine escape in one go that would leave us totally in the shit seems unlikely.

So, I think it'd be prudent to do more at the moment to keep variants out, and there probably won't be foreign holidays for anyone this year, but nor do I think we're likely to end up right back to square one.

I think that we might be lumbered with masks and some elements of social distancing right through to the end of next Winter (for there will be panic about a double whammy of seasonal flu and seasonal Covid come the Autumn,) but when the full lockdown abates that ought hopefully to be gone for good. The main question is how quickly that's going to happen (my instinct: not very.)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,173
    MaxPB said:

Telegraph saying that scientists pressuring the government to commit to not opening until the infection numbers go below 1k. Hope they refuse because the vaccines are not here to stop infection, they are here to stop people going to hospital. If the hospitals are not seeing the same capacity issues as they were in November then lockdown needs to end. If a few people have a bit of a cough for two or three days it really doesn't matter.

Bearing in mind the lag between reducing case numbers and reducing pressure on the hospitals, the two things may end up broadly the same timing wise.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I had never heard of her, it turns out. I thought I’d read her book, No Logo, back in days of yore, but that was by another Naomi!
    Remember the rhyme!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    I think Barnier would probably make quite a good President of France inasmuch as you can really be 'good' in a role like that.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    The Times article today "Rapid tests could open door for pubs, clubs and theatres" makes it seem like you will have to take a rapid test every time you enter a entertainment or hospitality venue. They would be introduced when the level of cases is 10 to 100 times lower than now, i.e. 100 to 1,000 cases a day.

The government has denied that it has a zero COVID policy, but this level of testing is exactly what you would do to follow a zero COVID policy.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

The Times article today "Rapid tests could open door for pubs, clubs and theatres" makes it seem like you will have to take a rapid test every time you enter a entertainment or hospitality venue. They would be introduced when the level of cases is 10 to 100 times lower than now, i.e. 100 to 1,000 cases a day.

The government has denied that it has a zero COVID policy, but this level of testing is exactly what you would do to follow a zero COVID policy.

Simply won't happen. The backbenchers will not let it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Remember the rhyme!
    When Naomi is Campbell...

That one?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Mortimer said:

fox327 said:

Simply won't happen. The backbenchers will not let it.
    The cynical part of me wonders - if I were lumbered with rapid tests for something that will soon be stamped out, what would I do?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Alistair said:

Remember the rhyme!

That one?
    When Naomi meets Kier....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

I'm supposed to be going on holiday to Northumberland in the first week of May, postponed a year from last year.

It's going to fall into that perfect window of there's no point going because nothing's open yet, but they've lifted just enough restrictions to mean they won't refund me because of covid lockdown reasons, isn't it.

Ooh. Where to?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think that we might be lumbered with masks and some elements of social distancing right through to the end of next Winter (for there will be panic about a double whammy of seasonal flu and seasonal Covid come the Autumn,) but when the full lockdown abates that ought hopefully to be gone for good. The main question is how quickly that's going to happen (my instinct: not very.)
    Mask-wearing isn't particularly well observed now, when people are still at personal risk, and the hospitals recently on the verge of being overwhelmed.

Sod all chance of widespread mask usage once everyone has been vaccinated and hospital Covid patients are rare.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

He'll have to do better than that.

Barnstorming

Barnierstorming

Barnieststorming......
    I'm sure there's a pun somewhere involving bRNA and a metaphor about Le Pen being a virus and Barnier being the vaccine, but it's late and I'm tired.
  • Options

Sorry to break unanimity. But I've never previously heard of her.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mask-wearing isn't particularly well observed now, when people are still at personal risk, and the hospitals recently on the verge of being overwhelmed.

Sod all chance of widespread mask usage once everyone has been vaccinated and hospital Covid patients are rare.
    About 65-45% observance people on trains around my way at the moment I reckon.

People are fatigued of it all. There is no chance of observance of lots of regs lasting much longer.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

That's the sort of policy that won't survive any serious assessment. You can't expect everyone entering such a venue to shove a stick down their throat or spit into a pot and then stand around outside in an orderly 2m spaced queue for half an hour whilst the test works. If they're only prepared to let these places open with tests on the doors then they should simply tell them to stay shut.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

I'm supposed to be going on holiday to Northumberland in the first week of May, postponed a year from last year.

It's going to fall into that perfect window of there's no point going because nothing's open yet, but they've lifted just enough restrictions to mean they won't refund me because of covid lockdown reasons, isn't it.

Ooh. Where to?
    Beadnell, I think it is - feels like a long time since it was organised and booked! Fingers crossed the good news might just accelerate that little bit needed to keep it happening.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This is the relevant bit of the interview which shows just how reliable she is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRCcEoGWxs
  • Options

I am off to Northumberland in late April provided Mr Johnson doesn't block it.
    Ooh. Where to? A wise choice.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Remember the rhyme!

That one?
    When Naomi meets Kier....
    Keir.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I struggle to get my head around the entire concept of social distancing. I mean, did we really use to have barbecues where everyone was studiously 2m apart? Did they actually happen?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

I think she's one of those people who benefits from subliminal confusion with someone else, like Digby Jones and John Harvey-Jones.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393
    edited February 2021

Easy mistake to make.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Daily Mail:

Early fucking May for pubs and restaurants? Fuck that. Let us live or die and take our chances.
    It's much too cautious. Hopefully Conservative backbenchers force a much faster timetable.
    Or its just under promising and over delivering again.
    That being a common characteristic of politicians.
    Point, but they finally seem to have managed it with vaccines.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Another strong contender in the coronavirus self-induced reputational damage Olympics.
    https://twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1361759404635340804

WTF? People actually seriously take that 'microchip' thing about vaccines seriously?
    It's more common than you would imagine.

What's properly bonkers is that people spreading this kind of shit POST TO FACEBOOK FROM THEIR iPHONES WITH INFORMATION ABOUT LITERALLY EVERYTHING IN THEIR LIVES.

Why would Bill need to insert a microchip, when he could simply ask Mark Zuckerberg / Larry & Sergei / Tim Cook for the information?
    Silly question. Commercial rivalry, of course.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Ooh. Where to?
    Beadnell, I think it is - feels like a long time since it was organised and booked! Fingers crossed the good news might just accelerate that little bit needed to keep it happening.
    Lovely. Bamburgh Castle. Miles of beaches. West facing harbour.
    Best of luck.
    With good weather* better than the Med.
    * That is a heavy caveat...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I am off to Northumberland in late April provided Mr Johnson doesn't block it.
    Ooh. Where to? A wise choice.
    I have to go up to Alnwick to meet with someone as soon as we are opened up. Looking forward to that.
  • Options

I struggle to get my head around the entire concept of social distancing. I mean, did we really use to have barbecues where everyone was studiously 2m apart? Did they actually happen?

I think she's one of those people who benefits from subliminal confusion with someone else, like Digby Jones and John Harvey-Jones.
    And Grace Jones.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

OK. I fall into line.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

People are fatigued of it all. There is no chance of observance of lots of regs lasting much longer.
    I find this very curious: in California (particularly Northern California around SV and the Bay Area), mask wearing on public transport, in shops, etc., is 100%.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

OK. I fall into line.
    My favourite part of the clip is that the interviewer seems almost apologetic about pointing it out, as well as how easily he apparently determined what, for instance, 'death recorded' means, apparently just by looking on the Old Bailey website.
  • Options
    Macron claiming Brexit was a shit deal that robbed the EU of vaccines because of Barnier in 5, 4, 3......
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

I find this very curious: in California (particularly Northern California around SV and the Bay Area), mask wearing on public transport, in shops, etc., is 100%.
    The bus drivers in Edinburgh - who sometimes have to be confrontational in order to get people to pay the bus fare - completely refused to be involved in enforcing mask usage on the buses.

One person sees another not wearing a mask and they wonder why they are bothering.

Had this effect on the ferry between NI and Scotland. At the start everyone was wearing a mask. By the end 90% had stopped.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Endillion said:

Is she the one being mocked for having to "circle back" on everything?

Pizza would be a good topic for her, if so.
    I notice her answers to “what have you done for my small business” were

- appointed a woman to lead the small business administration
    - made it easier for minority owned businesses to get funding

Not really a comprehensive package from the administration
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    edited February 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think you realise just how much the majority of the British public hate masks (and also suspect that they are more for show than effect) - I'd expect your average Californian to be much more compliant (less so your average Texan). There is also a selection bias effect - those who are most likely to be worried about Covid, and thus enthusiastic about mask wearing are least likely to be out.
    Personally I couldn't care less about my risk of catching the plague - my age, lack of risk factors and annual mileage mean I'm probably 5x as likely to die in a car accident as from Covid, and I don't put normal life on hold because of that.
    I wear a mask because I'm polite and relatively law abiding, but only where the law actually requires it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Of course not. Certainly in my case it lasted for about half of one BBQ, then people realised no one actually cared (or knew what 2m was anyway).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

The US brilliantly decided that believing in mask effectiveness should be a partisan issue, so now liberals have to wear one and conservatives wouldn't be seen dead in them. Hence, I would guess, your local observations.

Actually this was quite clever - albeit maniacal - by the Democrats. Differential death rates might have swung Georgia and Arizona.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Endillion said:

Is she the one being mocked for having to "circle back" on everything?

Pizza would be a good topic for her, if so.
    I notice her answers to “what have you done for my small business” were

- appointed a woman to lead the small business administration
    - made it easier for minority owned businesses to get funding

Not really a comprehensive package from the administration
    Certainly not. Nothing for the trans community in there AT ALL.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Ditto in MD and the District. 100%. Even out here in redneck country. Although we do have some idiots wearing their masks under their noses.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Of course not. Certainly in my case it lasted for about half of one BBQ, then people realised no one actually cared (or knew what 2m was anyway).
    It doesn't survive three drinks.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,328
    theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think you realise just how much the majority of the British public hate masks (and also suspect that they are more for show than effect) - I'd expect your average Californian to be much more compliant (less so your average Texan). There is also a selection bias effect - those who are most likely to be worried about Covid, and thus enthusiastic about mask wearing are least likely to be out.
    Personally I couldn't care less about my risk of catching the plague - my age, lack of risk factors and annual mileage mean I'm probably 5x as likely to die in a car accident as from Covid, and I don't put normal life on hold because of that.
    I wear a mask because I'm polite and relatively law abiding, but only where the law actually requires it.
    I've never met anyone who hated masks - I thought we'd all got used to them. "Not a problem" to "A mild nuisance" is the range I encounter. Odd.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

Someone needs to engrave a club with "case numbers do not matter, hospitalisations do" and repeatedly clobber the various SAGE members and government ministers with it until they finally get the message. It's quite remarkable just how stupid they appear to be, considering what we know about vaccine efficacy.

This is my biggest worry with the idea of opening schools first - the vaccines will have no effect on the case rates in schoolkids, so as soon as the schools go back case rates will start climbing. I don't care about that in the slightest, given we will be pretty much all the way through doing the vulnerable before case levels get particularly high (the September - December numbers seem to suggest it takes about 3 months from opening school to them become the main driver of infections), but I've a horrible feeling that faced with case rates climbing in April the government will panic and keep an unnecessary lockdown long after its unneeded.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,328
    HYUFD said:
    Enough with the kite-flying - whatever you're going to do, just do it.
  • Options

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

I've never met anyone who hated masks - I thought we'd all got used to them. "Not a problem" to "A mild nuisance" is the range I encounter. Odd.
    I agree. I wonder if it varies depending on personal experience of Covid and not wanting to accidentally kill someone? (I.e. The personal experience means you actually think you might, where as a lack of it means you don’t, not that you wouldn’t care if you did).
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Enough with the kite-flying - whatever you're going to do, just do it.
    I don't disagree - but wasn't it your former boss who pioneered this annoying habit of roadtesting his Budgets during the weeks leading up to it, and then quietly ditching or adjusting anything that didn't play well, during his decade in charge of the Treasury?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Different world evidently. My bit of the engineering world, pretty much nobody wears one except when going in shops. I've one customer (big corporate) that's mandated all their staff wear them; amusingly, if any of their staff come over on their own, they don't bother with one at our site, but if two or more come they do because they are worried about being ratted out to their bosses. This tells you all one needs to know about what they actually think about wearing them.

I hate them partly because they are unpleasant to wear, but mostly because they render people expressionless - I have a role where a lot of the time I'm sorting out engineering issues which could cost us lots of money if our clients make the "wrong" decisions. I'm pretty good at being personable whilst trying to steer a client towards a solution I want, but being able to read a client well and know which buttons to push is quite an art, and it's not made any easier by not being able to see their expression (most of my issues at the moment are with a project for the aforementioned corporate).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Mask wearing round my way is OK, I do surgical mask + FFP3 over the top if I think compliance might be poor though.
    "High viz/trades jobs" at the chippy seem to be poor in compliance, I can understand Mullins' Pimlico policy.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Northumberland may well be where I have a holiday this year too...
  • Options

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

I agree. I wonder if it varies depending on personal experience of Covid and not wanting to accidentally kill someone? (I.e. The personal experience means you actually think you might, where as a lack of it means you don’t, not that you wouldn’t care if you did).
    I find them annoying, but for the short periods I have to wear them, ie in shops or on the train, not really a problem
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2021
    Interesting speculation in thread.
    Personally I am not convinced. I think Gove is being lined up for “Union” duties.

https://twitter.com/sime0nstylites/status/1363038964047777793?s=21
  • Options

It doesn't bother me. I prefer not to be that close to people anyway.
This discussion has been closed.