Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Johnson is still trailing Starmer in the leader ratings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

Scott_xP said:
    If all those swaggering, 'Project Fear' Leavers aren't now thinking of the words of Lord Melbourne then they bloody well should be:

'What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.'
    Ultimately we’re going to be in this cycle of tit for tat for years. I.e some positive manufacturing news deemed as success. The city losing trade - Brexit is a disaster. Rinse and repeat
  • This prosecution case against Trump is incredibly well put together.

If the GOP Senators have any self-respect they'll struggle to vote to acquit.

Therefore the bulk of them will vote to acquit.
    Indeed.

If an attack on the Capitol to attempt to overthrow an election and kill members of Congress and the Veep isn't worthy of impeachment then what is?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

This prosecution case against Trump is incredibly well put together.

Indeed.

If an attack on the Capitol to attempt to overthrow an election and kill members of Congress and the Veep isn't worthy of impeachment then what is?
    Answer:

An attack on the Capitol to attempt to overthrow an election and kill members of Congress and the Veep orchestrated by the Democrats, or worse: Black Lives Matter.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:
    London will fight back. It always does. Calm yourself
    But the question is how are we going to make up the tax revenues, and this is merely the hors d'oeuvre.

The clearing transition ends next summer.

It's going to be the anti big bang next summer if that isn't resolved.
    War
    I assume you'll be joining the armed forces then.

Navy, Army, Marines, or RAF?
    The Queen's Own Kilted Thriller-Writers
  • This prosecution case against Trump is incredibly well put together.

Indeed.

Answer:

An attack on the Capitol to attempt to overthrow an election and kill members of Congress and the Veep orchestrated by the Democrats, or worse: Black Lives Matter.
    With the way America is shaping up that would fail to convict too.

Just the Democrats would be the ones voting to acquit and the GOP to convict so no two-thirds majority either way.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    The Spectator has published the full text, with one redacted paragraph, having asked the court to rule tomorrow whether they are allowed to publish it.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/full-text-alex-salmond-s-submission-to-the-hamilton-inquiry
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited February 2021

Indeed.

I actually would understand a point that impeachment itself is a process that should not exist, but while that is the implication of a lot of arguments from those arguing to just move on, or that other processes should take care of it, I don't get the sense that most of those objecting would actually stand up and say that they think the framers got it wrong and impeachment should be removed as a power of Congress (I would guess a few may have done so).

The focus on Trump no longer being president and thus the process being wrong seems almost an inherent admission that if he were in office this would be a convictable offence under the impeachment process. Since I think the point is well made that not permitting impeachment after someone leaves office would invite all manner of actions in their last days, that doesn't leave much more of a defence for his actions.

But it's incredible how much yelling about partisanship covers all manner of sins.

Ted Cruz is a complete Trump lickspittle despite all the crap Trump threw at him when the primaries were occurring. Self respect may be an alien concept.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:
    It’s the money London makes from this stuff that pays for us having an NHS so it has to fight back.
    The gist of the article is that 1. this change will have a limited impact on tax revenues and won't result in large scale job losses, and 2. the lost activity in this specific area probably isn't coming back, because the UK Government isn't interested in negotiating equivalence (which I take, not being an authority on these things, to mean that UK and EU financial regulation would be moved closely enough together that the EU opens these markets back up to London-based traders.)

Apparently the Government considers that the advantages of regulatory divergence outweigh the additional access that would be gained from a closer alignment with EU rules.
    The EU insisted on dynamic alignment

They seem to believe that they can give better terms to every other country by the UK needs to be brought to heel like a naughty puppy
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021
    kle4 said:

Ted Cruz is a complete Trump lickspittle despite all the crap Trump threw at him when the primaries were occurring. Self respect may be an alien concept.
    Ted Cruz to Trump is like Reek (Theon Greyjoy) to Ramsay Bolton.
  • Blimey. Just seen the Charles Walker clip from Sky from earlier today. No holding back.

If he is even just a bit representative of opinion on backbench then Johnson better have a bloody clear roadmap for presentation on 22nd or there is going to be a Tory ruck.
  • Blimey. Just seen the Charles Walker clip from Sky from earlier today. No holding back.

If he is even just a bit representative of opinion on backbench then Johnson better have a bloody clear roadmap for presentation on 22nd or there is going to be a Tory ruck.

Charles Walker is representative of Charles Walker.

He is the single most extreme Tory MP on this subject in that direction. He's been losing his mind and not holding back for months and months now.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Crazy game at Goodison.

Why have they not changed ends going into extra time?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Crazy game at Goodison.

They toss a coin at the start of ET, I think, to determine kick off and ends. Always seemed a bit pointless to me.
  • Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

The standout figure is the 34% who neither approve nor disapprove of Starmer. Hasn’t changed in a month. My guess is most of them can barely name him.

I bet the stats for Corbyn were way better in this respect. You certainly recognized him, and had opinions on him.

Starmer is anonymous, bland and boring. I cannot recall one single thing he has said, not a joke, not a riff, not a gaffe, nothing. He’s a nullity.

From the start I knew that Corbyn wore vests, had an allotment, was a cranky Marxist, liked the IRA, owned a cat, had oddly sexy wives, feted Palestinian terrorists, went on holiday with Diane Abbott

Much of this is intensely dislikable, for me, but at least I had a sense of the man. I have no grasp on Kier Starmer. I’ve only recently learned how to spell his first name

Kier Is Exactly Right is a handy mnemonic.
    Keir, not Kier
    No, no, no, it's definitely 'Kier'. Remember, 'I before E, except after C'. Easy.
    It's the end of the Kier show.....
    Why doesn’t he just change it to Kir. Sir Kir. That would make life simpler, and also make him slightly interesting.

Or indeed just go the whole hog and change his entire name to Lord Pizzleface Von Hooterbutt. No way you’d ever forget THAT guy. His Don’t Knows would crater overnight and he’d be sailing to electoral triumph
    Alternatively, he could adopt the affectation of wearing a full suit of samurai armour.

With swords and everything.

And become mute.

Just occasionally beheading a member of the Shadow Cabinet. They would up their game - without a word being said.

"That Labour samurai guy - he's not somebody to mess with, is he? I could vote for him...."
    I still think SKS is in the wrong job. He would fit in perfectly as a senior mandarin in the civil service
    tlg86 said:

Crazy game at Goodison.

They toss a coin at the start of ET, I think, to determine kick off and ends. Always seemed a bit pointless to me.
    That I never knew. I’m fairly sure I can’t remember a game where they didn’t change ends going into ET. But I could be wrong.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

The tone of MG's original letter guaranteed this response. Granted, very minimal concessions were always the likeliest outcome, but the EU literally couldn't have given more without seeming to have given in to a monstering from Michael Gove.

We'll just have to go for Article 16 then, which does seem to have been the plan all along.
    It is funny how keen Brexiteers are to tear up the deal that they were saying was a great deal just 6 weeks ago.

Its almost as if they neither read nor understood it.
    Or that they wargamed it

RoI & the UK have an incentive to make NI work. It is not at the moment.

The RoI has a common interest with the Uk at the moment not the EU
  • Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

The standout figure is the 34% who neither approve nor disapprove of Starmer. Hasn’t changed in a month. My guess is most of them can barely name him.

I bet the stats for Corbyn were way better in this respect. You certainly recognized him, and had opinions on him.

Starmer is anonymous, bland and boring. I cannot recall one single thing he has said, not a joke, not a riff, not a gaffe, nothing. He’s a nullity.

From the start I knew that Corbyn wore vests, had an allotment, was a cranky Marxist, liked the IRA, owned a cat, had oddly sexy wives, feted Palestinian terrorists, went on holiday with Diane Abbott

Much of this is intensely dislikable, for me, but at least I had a sense of the man. I have no grasp on Kier Starmer. I’ve only recently learned how to spell his first name

Keir, not Kier
    No, no, no, it's definitely 'Kier'. Remember, 'I before E, except after C'. Easy.
    Why doesn’t he just change it to Kir. Sir Kir. That would make life simpler, and also make him slightly interesting.

Or indeed just go the whole hog and change his entire name to Lord Pizzleface Von Hooterbutt. No way you’d ever forget THAT guy. His Don’t Knows would crater overnight and he’d be sailing to electoral triumph
    Alternatively, he could adopt the affectation of wearing a full suit of samurai armour.

And become mute.

Just occasionally beheading a member of the Shadow Cabinet. They would up their game - without a word being said.

"That Labour samurai guy - he's not somebody to mess with, is he? I could vote for him...."
    I still think SKS is in the wrong job. He would fit in perfectly as a senior mandarin in the civil service
    That was his job effectively wasn't it?

SKS is the living embodiment of the Peter Principle.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    This stuff on Capitol Hill , is it going to damage Trump? I'm not sure though I consider him a busted flush.

What it will do is damage the GOP.
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

The tone of MG's original letter guaranteed this response. Granted, very minimal concessions were always the likeliest outcome, but the EU literally couldn't have given more without seeming to have given in to a monstering from Michael Gove.

We'll just have to go for Article 16 then, which does seem to have been the plan all along.
    It is funny how keen Brexiteers are to tear up the deal that they were saying was a great deal just 6 weeks ago.

Or that they wargamed it

The EC didn't even remember ROI existed when it sought to invoke article 16, I don't think ROI's common interest will achieve anything unless the rest of the EU also see it as in their interest, as it was while holding firm during the negotiations.
  • dr_spyn said:
    That is one incredibly cute puppy. And the doggie's pretty cute also!

Though am concerned that both Carrie & the canine are both imitating Boris's poor personal grooming habits. . .
    Yokes said:

This stuff on Capitol Hill , is it going to damage Trump? I'm not sure though I consider him a busted flush.

What it will do is damage the GOP.

Trump has very rapidly become an irrelevance. I agree that whatever the result of the impeachment (Trump won’t be impeached in my view, not enough numbers) it will damage the Trump wing of the GOP.
  • Charles said:

Foxy said:

Or that they wargamed it

That makes a massive difference.

Take all the talk of getting Biden on the phone if A16 is invoked. If the Irish diplomatically and 'off the record' let it be known that they do not object to its invocation (they won't outright support it) then Biden simply isn't going to get involved.

Especially given the effort Boris is making to make common cause with Biden on his agenda while the EU is busy cosying up to China and Russia and making it clear they don't want to be America's ally.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Or that they wargamed it

The problems are entirely foreseeable and forseen. Our government signed up to it, and now wants to go back on that word.

It is simply being mendacious. The RoI is the EU, not an English colony.
  • Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Or that they wargamed it

The problems are entirely foreseeable and forseen. Our government signed up to it, and now wants to go back on that word.

Northern Ireland isn't RoI, it is part of the United Kingdom.

Article 16 is part of what the EU signed up to. If it gets invoked then we are simply exercising an element of the Treaty - no word is gone back on. If they didn't want the UK to invoke Article 16 then they shouldn't have agreed to it, put it in the Treaty and been the first ones to invoke it already !
  • TOUCH OF GREY
    Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter

Must be getting early clocks are running late
    Faint light of the morning sky looks so phony
    Dawn is breaking everywhere
    Light a candle curse the glare
    Draw the curtains I don't care 'cause it's alright

I will get by I will get by
    I will get by I will survive

I see you've got your fist out say your peace and get out
    I guess I get the gist of it but it's alright
    Sorry that you feel that way the only there is to say
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey

It's a lesson to me, the eagles and the beggars and the seas
    The ABC's we all must face try to keep a little grace

It's a lesson to me. the deltas and the east and the freeze
    The ABC's we all think of and try to win a little love

I know the rent is in arrears the dog has not been fed in years
    It's even worse than it appears but it's alright
    Cow's giving kerosene, kid can't read at seventeen
    The words he knows are all obscene but it's alright

The shoe is on the hand that fits, there's really nothing much to it
    Whistle through your teeth and spit 'cause it's alright
    Oh well a touch of grey kinda suits you anyway
    And that was all I had to say and it's alright

We will get by we will get by
    We will get by we will survive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEKmbDbFMI8&list=RDxpa4yzMbx9g&index=25
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Or that they wargamed it

What is it with you lefties and colonies? The RoI is an independent sovereign state.

But they want a NI that works just like the UK wants a NI that works.

That means they have a common interest. The bureaucrats in Brussels care more about the purity of their model than about the messy reality of life
    You are correct. There is no interest in the Irish government to stir the pot up North too much. They should and probably do have enough wit to try to get practical solutions to practical problems. They are on record in the last week of saying they want to keep the protocol but look at the practicalities.

Question is does the EU Commission get it?

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Foxy said:

Invoking Article 16 isn't tearing up the deal, it is exercising an article of the deal.

If the article wasn't meant to be exercised then why did the EU sign it? 🤔
    Article 50 wasn't meant to be exercised either.....
  • Yokes said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Or that they wargamed it

What is it with you lefties and colonies? The RoI is an independent sovereign state.

But they want a NI that works just like the UK wants a NI that works.

That means they have a common interest. The bureaucrats in Brussels care more about the purity of their model than about the messy reality of life
    You are correct. There is no interest in the Irish government to stir the pot up North too much. They should and probably do have enough wit to try to get practical solutions to practical problems. They are on record in the last week of saying they want to keep the protocol but look at the practicalities.

Question is does the EU Commission get it?

QTWAIN.
  • Foxy said:

Invoking Article 16 isn't tearing up the deal, it is exercising an article of the deal.

If the article wasn't meant to be exercised then why did the EU sign it? 🤔
    Article 50 wasn't meant to be exercised either.....
    Indeed.

There's repeatedly a perverse "you broke it, you fix it" attitude against Britain making its own decisions and perfectly legally exercising articles of international law that Britain is perfectly entitled to exercise.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    What a game! What a win!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    edited February 2021
    "Towie star James Lock claims Priti Patel 'incited hate' by slamming influencers who fled lockdown Britain as he says he has received death threats in Dubai"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9246463/Towie-star-James-Lock-claims-Priti-Patel-incited-hate-slamming-influencers-fled-lockdown.html
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TOUCH OF GREY

Faint light of the morning sky looks so phony

Paint by numbers morning sky. And I see you've got your *list* out.
  • Boris needs to sack Gove: the man's a danger. This is the problem when you fill the Cabinet exclusively with one-dimensional Brexit zealots. Maggie, in contrast, had men for all seasons. She could have called upon a Pym or a Hurd in this situation - cooler heads to patch things up with the EU. (This is before she went a bit nuts, of course, but that's not something Boris should be emulating.)
  • IshmaelZ said:

TOUCH OF GREY

PAINT BY NUMBERS morning sky looks so phony

Paint by numbers morning sky. And I see you've got your *list* out.
    Yes! Thanks for correction, cannot believe I didn't catch it.
  • Boris needs to sack Gove: the man's a danger. This is the problem when you fill the Cabinet exclusively with one-dimensional Brexit zealots. Maggie, in contrast, had men for all seasons. She could have called upon a Pym or a Hurd in this situation - cooler heads to patch things up with the EU. (This is before she went a bit nuts, of course, but that's not something Boris should be emulating.)

Why would he want to patch things up with the EU? 🤔

Same old EU flag waving nonsense.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    FYI....

More than 3.2 billion unique pairs of cleartext emails and passwords have just been leaked on a popular hacking forum, aggregating past leaks from Netflix, LinkedIn, Exploit.in, Bitcoin and more. This leak is comparable to the Breach Compilation of 2017, in which 1.4 billion credentials were leaked.

https://cybernews.com/news/largest-compilation-of-emails-and-passwords-leaked-free/

If you don't already, turn 2FA on...not full proof, but is minimum you can do.
  • Andy_JS said:

"Towie star James Lock claims Priti Patel 'incited hate' by slamming influencers who fled lockdown Britain as he says he has received death threats in Dubai"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9246463/Towie-star-James-Lock-claims-Priti-Patel-incited-hate-slamming-influencers-fled-lockdown.html

Dubai is so last year, its all about Bali now.

Andy_JS said:

Might be all about bail if he tries to sneak back.
    edited February 2021

Andy_JS said:

Duplicate.
    Which is happening quite a bit now.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    edited February 2021
    O/T Does anyone, use and feel able to recommend, a decent meal-in-a-box supplier?

We are looking to compensate for our inability to eat out but living in the sticks our takeaway meal options are very limited (and basic).

We have got a Cafe Murano meal coming on Friday via Dishpatch - our first. If it's ok we will probably dgot for something every week so I'm wondering what others to try?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

O/T Does anyone, use and feel able to recommend, a decent meal-in-a-box supplier?

We are looking to compensate for our inability to eat out but living in the sticks our takeaway meal options are very limited (and basic).

We have got a Cafe Murano meal coming on Friday via Dishpatch - our first. If it's ok we will probably dgot for something every week so I'm wondering what others to try?

If you like pasta then pasta evangelists are great.
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

If you like pasta then pasta evangelists are great.
    We do, and thanks, will take a look.

Edit: Looks great - we'll definitely be trying this one!
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1359640638921322496

Must have fallen down the back of the sofa......
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    edited February 2021

I’d give a shout out to Mr Thompson’s restaurant on the island, which is doing nationwide meal deliveries from UBchef.com. He does a video each week showing how to prepare and present the dishes, and there’s a full back library of videos for menus from previous weeks on the site.
  • dixiedean said:

What a game! What a win!

Spurs season over now. The only surprise is that it took until February! 😊
    Floater said:

Old Excel version?
    IanB2 said:

I’d give a shout out to Mr Thompson’s restaurant on the island, which is doing nationwide meal deliveries from UBchef.com. He does a video each week showing how to prepare and present the dishes, and there’s a full back library of videos for menus from previous weeks on the site.
    Thanks - will check it out.
    Floater said:

How many hundreds of thousands of deaths have been hidden around the world?

Nobody wanted to look worse than their neighbours. I suspect surplus deaths are eventually going to reveal the level of cheating is way worse than we imagined.
  • Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Keir, not Kier

And become mute.

It's apparent from all of the clueless flailing about above that 10 months into his leadership, PB Tories, like the party they support, still don't have a clue on how they or their party can mount an effective attack on Starmer.

Meanwhile 48% of people recognise that Starmer has changed the Labour Party for the better, compared to 4% who think he's changed it for the worse. That's a very good foundation on which Starmer can build electoral support in the coming years.

Leon said:
    It's not very effective, this silencing of criticism of the goverment of Israel, I feel like I hear negative things about it all the time.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:
    But the question is how are we going to make up the tax revenues, and this is merely the hors d'oeuvre.

The clearing transition ends next summer.

It's going to be the anti big bang next summer if that isn't resolved.
    War
    I assume you'll be joining the armed forces then.

Navy, Army, Marines, or RAF?
    The Queen's Own Kilted Thriller-Writers
    1st Unherd Division Liebstandarte Toby Young.
    Um... Hasn't it been said all along that bog standard Covid-19 may be able to re-infect people, and isn't it true that some people can be infected with standard Covid after vaccination (given it's *only* 70-95% effective)?
    kle4 said:

Leon said:
    It's not very effective, this silencing of criticism of the goverment of Israel, I feel like I hear negative things about it all the time.
    Sacked from The Guardian for criticising Israel? I suspect there must be more to the story than that.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248
    YES still in the lead in Scotland. BUT a huge closing of that lead

https://twitter.com/jameskelly/status/1359649249009483777?s=21

Salmondgate?
    edited February 2021

Um... Hasn't it been said all along that bog standard Covid-19 may be able to re-infect people, and isn't it true that some people can be infected with standard Covid after vaccination (given it's *only* 70-95% effective)?
    The original generation of covid reinfection rate was estimated at 0.7% and among that it was very mild in most cases.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:
    Just like I never seem to be able to avoid Lord Sumption whining about being silenced.
    Leon said:
    To save the world we need to nuke Bristol.

Fuck it, it's karma - made all its money on the back of slavery anyway.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

dixiedean said:

What a game! What a win!

Spurs season over now. The only surprise is that it took until February! 😊
    They can still battle for top 4.
    edited February 2021
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:
    Just like I never seem to be able to avoid Lord Sumption whining about being silenced.
    Read all about people being silenced in his forthcoming book 'Law in a time of crisis', coming 11th March.

Actually if he sticks to broad legal issues it probably will be a good read. If its just a skeleton to rehash a Covid law whinge, not so much.
    Leon said:
    It’s cockney infecting wurzels now talking with a bok lilt?

☹️
    edited February 2021
    BBC News - Covid-19: Kent variant 'on course to sweep world'

The Covid variant first found in Kent is set to become the world's dominant strain, the head of the UK's genetic surveillance programme has predicted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56019995

We might be lucky that loud mouth cockney covid becomes the dominant strain everywhere, which current vaccines work against.
    edited February 2021
    As for could reinfect even those who have been vaccinated...thats a could and really the big question is would such a (re)infection be serious or will much milder.

I think its clear the rest of 2021 we will have to be careful, while 2nd gen vaccines come on stream and the procedure for everyone to keep having their booster sbots against new variants into the future.

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Keir, not Kier

And become mute.

It's apparent from all of the clueless flailing about above that 10 months into his leadership, PB Tories, like the party they support, still don't have a clue on how they or their party can mount an effective attack on Starmer.

Meanwhile 48% of people recognise that Starmer has changed the Labour Party for the better, compared to 4% who think he's changed it for the worse. That's a very good foundation on which Starmer can build electoral support in the coming years.

Nope. Unlike anabob calling Trump an irrelevance, neither Donald or Jez are irrelevant - when you tear up years of building credibility it’s not going to come back just like that.
  • Politico.com - Support grows for Cuomo to remove election officials over Tenney-Brindisi snafu

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2021/02/10/support-grows-for-cuomo-to-remove-election-officials-over-tenney-brindisi-snafu-1362662

ALBANY, N.Y. — It's probably fair to say that attempting to throw out hundreds of legitimate ballots, blocking thousands of people who registered to vote from actually voting, and holding up the results of a Congressional race until February might be cause for an election official's dismissal.

And that's what multiple officials are calling for in the aftermath of the messy race between former Rep. Anthony Brindisi and Rep.-elect Claudia Tenney in New York's 22nd congressional district, which was settled in Tenney's favor several days ago. The officials are asking Gov. Andrew Cuomo to remove the commissioners of the Board of Elections in upstate Oneida County. The last time something of that magnitude happened in New York, Franklin Roosevelt was governor.

Those commissioners, according to legal proceedings over the ballot count, made numerous serious mistakes that disenfranchised a large swath of the electorate.

The mistakes included, but were far from limited to, a failure to process 2,418 of the 3,000 registration forms the county board received after hopeful voters submitted those forms to the Department of Motor Vehicles. About 1,500 voters who subsequently did not show up in the poll books but submitted affidavit ballots saying this was a mistake had their ballots unceremoniously rejected.

neida County Executive Anthony Picente, a Republican who has endorsed the Democrat Cuomo in the past, wrote to the governor on Tuesday asking him to remove the board’s commissioners.

“The finding of violations of statutory provisions relating to the canvassing process is of great concern to me, however, it is the disenfranchisement of the citizens of Oneida County which compels me to write to you and request this drastic step,” he wrote. . . .
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    On Topic

Starmer was much improved at PMQs. Johnson was poorer than he has been for a while.

kle4 said:

Leon said:
    Sacked from The Guardian for criticising Israel? I suspect there must be more to the story than that.
    I'm generally of the view that there are some things that are really not that difficult or complicated that for some reason some people seem obsessed with claiming they are difficult. Criticising the Israeli government, being a patriotic Labour party, lockdown liberty impacts, I just don't think these things require the contortions or attention some devote to them.

BBC News - Covid-19: Kent variant 'on course to sweep world'

The Covid variant first found in Kent is set to become the world's dominant strain, the head of the UK's genetic surveillance programme has predicted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56019995

We might be lucky that loud mouth cockney covid becomes the dominant strain everywhere, which current vaccines work against.

She said her work sequencing variants of the virus could be required for at least 10 years.

Long term pitch for funding there :)
  • New rhyming slang:

Cousin Sid = Cockney Covid
    edited February 2021
    One thing I would worry about with Brizzle Covid, that area of the country has been hit far less than most places, so there is plenty of susceptible people walking around (regardless of reinfection potential).

What we have seen in places like Eastern Europe, they escaped the 1st wave, then the 2nd wave hit probably with a variant and they got blown away as basically everybody was susceptible.

Leon said:

Surely to save the world you answer the question how this happened, and try to limit aggressive mutations?

What do Bristol and Liverpool have in common? Historic ports. Link to slavery. Lots of Labour MPs in a country they are a dying breed. Maritime weather patterns from the west?

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    edited February 2021
    Foxy said:

I think you accidentally pressed 'quote' under my name there - I haven't expressed any enthusiasm for tearing up the deal, nor did I express any opinion on the deal itself at the time, beyond being pleased that we'd reached one.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Trailing?

Redfield Approval
    Johnson 42%
    Starmer 34%
    Johnson leads by 8%

IPSOS MORI Satisfied
    Johnson 42%
    Starmer 40%
    Johnson leads by 2%

Johnson leads in Approval/Satisfied. If people disapprove of Johnson but don't approve of Starmer and decide to vote for Lib Dems or Greens etc then that works just fine for Johnson.

Remind me again about how we get to kick Johnson out, and how democracy is everything, and all your other shite.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Mango said:

Trailing?

Redfield Approval
    Johnson 42%
    Starmer 34%
    Johnson leads by 8%

IPSOS MORI Satisfied
    Johnson 42%
    Starmer 40%
    Johnson leads by 2%

Johnson leads in Approval/Satisfied. If people disapprove of Johnson but don't approve of Starmer and decide to vote for Lib Dems or Greens etc then that works just fine for Johnson.

Remind me again about how we get to kick Johnson out, and how democracy is everything, and all your other shite.
    There are periodic general elections which can lead to a change of government.

Leon said:

Before you nuke, have we completely ruled out the vaccine programme as the culprit?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/could-too-much-time-between-doses-drive-coronavirus-outwit-vaccines

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-single-vaccine-dose-leads-to-greater-risk-from-new-coronavirus-variants-south-african-experts-warn-12180837

The old single dose risky argument

One thing I would worry about with Brizzle Covid, that area of the country has been hit far less than most places, so there is plenty of susceptible people walking around (regardless of reinfection potential).

What we have seen in places like Eastern Europe, they escaped the 1st wave, then the 2nd wave hit probably with a variant and they got blown away as basically everybody was susceptible.

And I think add Parts of Africa to the list.

New rhyming slang:

Cousin Sid = Cockney Covid

Is cockney slang for Covid sid?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited February 2021
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Before you nuke, have we completely ruled out the vaccine programme as the culprit?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/could-too-much-time-between-doses-drive-coronavirus-outwit-vaccines

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-single-vaccine-dose-leads-to-greater-risk-from-new-coronavirus-variants-south-african-experts-warn-12180837

I'd want to see more evidence than simple speculation. The vast majority of people wouldn't have received the second dose anyway at this point. And in any case, the AZN vaccine is shown to have the highest efficacy with the longer delay.
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

aka the Tony Blair Strategy.....
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    RobD said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

I'd want to see more evidence than simple speculation. The vast majority of people wouldn't have received the second dose anyway at this point. And in any case, the AZN vaccine is shown to have the highest efficacy with the longer delay.
    It doesn't seem logical to me. The reason immunocompromised people are thought to be more likely to incubate mutations is that they remain infected for longer. Any incremental protection you get from a vaccine is likely to reduce the amount of time you're infected, so it should reduce the chance of a mutation.
  • fox327fox327 Posts: 363
    edited February 2021
    An eminent zoologist said: "Tigers kill and eat goats!!". Viruses mutating and vaccines being tweaked is the new normal!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

RobD said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

It doesn't seem logical to me. The reason immunocompromised people are thought to be more likely to incubate mutations is that they remain infected for longer. Any incremental protection you get from a vaccine is likely to reduce the amount of time you're infected, so it should reduce the chance of a mutation.
    Exactly right.

Floater said:

How many hundreds of thousands of deaths have been hidden around the world?

Nobody wanted to look worse than their neighbours. I suspect surplus deaths are eventually going to reveal the level of cheating is way worse than we imagined.
    Russia has pretty much admitted hiding around two-thirds of their deaths from Covid-19.
  • neither neuter the narwal nor negate the nanny-goat, but rather nudge the nutria
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021
    Mango said:

Trailing?

Redfield Approval
    Johnson 42%
    Starmer 34%
    Johnson leads by 8%

IPSOS MORI Satisfied
    Johnson 42%
    Starmer 40%
    Johnson leads by 2%

You got the opportunity to kick Johnson out in December 2019 remember?

Are you still being a sore loser over that? Democracy isn't shite, your compatriots chose to give Johnson a very healthy majority. Suck it up and learn the lessons from defeat, that's what happens when you lose the election.
    Off topic question: do milkmen/women still exist in London? Probably not.
    "Priti Patel has told Facebook, Twitter and Google that they have a social responsibility to remove false anti-vaccination posts.

The home secretary said that social media companies were to blame for the lower uptake of coronavirus vaccines among ethnic minorities compared with the general population. She also called on them to proactively publicise NHS and government information on their sites to counter antivaxers."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/priti-patel-tells-social-media-to-remove-antivax-posts-77ggm5tjn
    edited February 2021
    Using dexamethasone to treat Covid-19 patients could have already saved 650,000 lives around the world, a study suggests.

Scientists from the University of Oxford found in a large clinical trial last year that dexamethasone, a cheap and widely available steroid, could reduce deaths from Covid-19 significantly.

The researchers found that the drug cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by almost a fifth.

The scientists reported their findings last year in June and experts now say the drug could have saved between 12,000 and 27,000 lives in the UK up to this point.

Around the world the estimate is 650,000 lives – but this could be up to 1.4 million.

The study was published in the journal Nature Communications.

Source: Press Association
  • Truth behind killing of Iran nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh revealed

Top nuclear expert was killed by the Mossad, who used a one-ton remote-controlled gun smuggled into Iran piece by piece over eight months, the JC can disclose

https://www.thejc.com/news/world/world-exclusive-truth-behind-killing-of-iran-nuclear-scientist-mohsen-fakhrizadeh-revealed-1.511653
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Andy_JS said:

"Priti Patel has told Facebook, Twitter and Google that they have a social responsibility to remove false anti-vaccination posts.

The home secretary said that social media companies were to blame for the lower uptake of coronavirus vaccines among ethnic minorities compared with the general population. She also called on them to proactively publicise NHS and government information on their sites to counter antivaxers."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/priti-patel-tells-social-media-to-remove-antivax-posts-77ggm5tjn

I have a lot of sympathy with the desire of the government here. But I'm also a little scared of a situation where it's OK for the government to tell companies (either new media or old) what stories they're allowed to run.
This discussion has been closed.