Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A fractured SNP will struggle to campaign at full-throttle – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Do you have a breakdown of that 45 trillion?

Also it is pretty offensive to compare India and Scotland.

Scotland had a plebiscite to leave, which they declined.

Can you also compare anything similar to say the Bengal Famine or the Jallianwala Bagh massacre that happened in Scotland since 1707?

Next you'll be comparing the Union to the Holocaust.
    Yes highland clearances and your colonial preferences that we must stay as a colony are really offensive. The 45 trillion is using some compound interest rate but it does highlight that whilst denuding India of huge wealth , England claimed they were in deficit. This is exactly the same position as Scotland. They also impoverished Scotland since the union and are denying us a democratic vote as they did in India.
    Your stupid remark at the end is pretty pathetic and juvenile. Perhaps you should stick to topics you know at least something about.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Isn't money going from England to Scotland though? Quite the reverse of India.
    Only if you believe the lies of the Tories and other Westminster lickspittles.
    Oh, I see malc already said it...
  • Options
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Re GSK curevac deal with the government, plan is for UK based manufacturing....

If approved, any vaccines that come out of the deal will be distributed in the U.K. and its overseas and dependent territories. The agreement includes an initial supply of 50 million doses of variant vaccines, with plans to manufacture them in the U.K.
    https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/u-k-government-taps-curevac-to-target-covid-19-variants-new-vaccines

It's interesting that (a) so many people are now jumping on the mRNA process, and (b) that there are all increasing number of production under license deals (this follows an earlier CureVac - Bayer one).

Of course, CureVac working is absolutely imperative for the EU, given it is the mRNA vaccine they have bought the most of.
    Wow, reading the linked article, I got the impression that CureVac's deal with the UK government re COVID vaccine 2.0 is in large part due to the speed with which clinical trials and regulatory approval can be gained in the UK. This may be an unintended consequence of the EU's idiocy last week.
    I don't think it is just last week. The UK government did a similar deal with the French company Valneva. The CEO said the UK government rolled out the red carpet, the deal provided everything we need to give is the best chance of making it happen. France nor the EU would provide the level of guarantees over funding, trials, etc.
    I do wonder how much of a ruckus it would cause if pharma and biotech companies decamped to the UK now that there is pretty decent trade deal. It's definitely something I could see happening if the government is serious about supporting these kinds of industries with decent tax rates and easy access to private and public funding. The US is known for its ease of funding for biotech, it's definitely an area that could be liberalised in the UK now that we're not in the EU.
    Synthetic biology as a whole, not just biologics and vaccines. If we can shake off the visceral dislike of 'GMO' and understand how synthetic biology can be very eco-friendly, I think the UK is in a great position to be in the leading pack with US and China in what will be a bigger tech revolution than IT.
    Hadn’t really though about it before, but we’ve gone to great lengths to avoid anyone in any way saying the vaccines are “genetically modified” haven’t we. We can just do that - use different words.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Does anyone know if Handforth Parish Council has elections this year? And if, so will Betfair have a market?

Read the rules. Read them and understand them.
    I think you mean:

READ THE RULES. READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM.
  • Options

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Isn't money going from England to Scotland though? Quite the reverse of India.
    tHaT'S whAT tHEy wANT YOU TO ThINK !!!!!
    You pie eyed or something
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Does anyone know if Handforth Parish Council has elections this year? And if, so will Betfair have a market?

Beat you by seconds - :smile:
    I have cut you out of this thread and placed you in a virtual waiting room.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    I am trying to decide which is worse, CH4 coverage of the cricket or ITV coverage of rugby?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Newcastle down to 9 men against Southampton.
    Currently leading 3-2.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    kle4 said:
    As BigG said.

Drakeford doing a brilliant job.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    All this talk of May, we should be through to the end of Group 9 before the end of March. Unless there is a supply squeeze coming up. Is there something we are not being told?.

Hopefully I can be fully vaccinated by the solstice, and be able to venture out to a pub in July.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I repeat: IndyRef2 is a great opportunity for unionism and reborn Brexit Britain. It's an opportunity to finally draw a line under the Scottish Independence issue, or to move forward as England & Wales (and NI lol). Otherwise it's just going to continue bubbling underneath.

However, the Government and Westminster needs to be prepared to cede permanent power to the Scottish Parliament as part of a new union settlement if that would indeed make a difference. They need to give the Scottish Parliament power to veto certain things Westminster wants to do. I know that's painful for unionists but otherwise DevoMax is a waste of time.

Like what? We already have an exceptionally large number of devolved matters where the Scottish Parliament can do what they like and Westminster has no say. The Health Service, benefits, education, social care, police and justice, capital investment, pretty much all the big spenders of government except defence and foreign aid. The Scottish Parliament has the right to vary some taxes and has done so in rather timid ways. We are already in devomax territory.

The fantasy that Holyrood is under the thumb of Westminster in any material way is just SNP propaganda. It's just not true. The apparent right of Scottish MPs to vote on such matters in England is much more of an issue and a consequence of the unbalanced devolution settlement Blair created.

The financial division of those taxes not devolved is also very favourable to Scotland with Barnett differentials being added to any new increase in spending in England. I think the extent of this favoritism is already at the limits of what is democratically acceptable.

I genuinely struggle to see what is left for yet more devolution. If we had a Scottish government that was interested in using the powers it has rather than trying to create more grievances there would be a real chance of addressing the serious structural problems in our economy in a way that might make the north of England jealous.
    Immigration for a start, which may have some connection to your 'structural problems'.

Always thought it a bit weird that Conservative Unionists think that trumpeting Scotland's supposed economic dependency on England was a good thing, though the current lot's entire strategy seems to be based on them giving Scots everything from the British Army to Prince Edward with nothing contributed by said Scots. Quite content from a strategic pov if that continues.
    How does Scotland have control of immigration without a hard border with England? What's to stop anyone we attracted catching the first train to London?

I dunno. It might be possible to give people the right to work in particular parts of the UK only. It might be possible to restrict students to Scottish institutions. If there was evidence that this was in fact holding the Scottish economy back we could look at it I suppose.

Scotland's current dependency on England is not a good thing. Its not healthy for either party. But our government is obsessed with petty differences and colouring the arguments for independence rather than trying to create business opportunities in Scotland that would reduce that dependency. We've just had a Scottish budget. The total lack of vision and ambition was beyond embarrassing. Where are our children's jobs going to come from? Are all the talented one's to be lost to the south? There is so much to do. If we did it successfully independence might even become a viable option.
    David, as we see regularly it is England that is dependent on Scotland, unionists are crapping tehmselves to allow a vote as they know they are F***** when Scotland votes Yes. Obfuscation and lies cannot hide the truth otherwise we would have the vote organised by now
    This is genuinely delusional Malcolm. The level of dependency at present is a fact. Of course 20 years ago when the money was pouring in from the north sea it was the other way around but so what?

What we need to do is address why this dependency has come into existence and what we can do about it. There is no question that the success of London sucks money and talent not just from Scotland but from every other part of the UK. That is the price you pay for having an incredibly successful international city. How do we start to create a viable Scottish economy. I have made some suggestions to @Theuniondivvie but no doubt there are many more possibilities. Pretending that the current deficits do not exist is not one of the solutions.
    David, You cannot have it that they took a surplus off us for 40 years and spaffed it up the wall and now complain we are in a temporary deficit. Any normal country has ups and downs and over the last 40 years we have run a surplus and been robbed. We now have these clowns pretending they pay all our bills, especially the deluded halfwits that post here. England has been in deficit for 40 years , we kept them afloat and they treat us like crap, facts are facts.
    PS: Borrowing is a standard practice for any country and if independent we would not be in the state we are in , UK spend all the money and borrow all the money. They will be in the crap when they can no longer pretend they borrow it for Scotland.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Can you also compare anything similar to say the Bengal Famine or the Jallianwala Bagh massacre that happened in Scotland since 1707?

Yes highland clearances and your colonial preferences that we must stay as a colony are really offensive. The 45 trillion is using some compound interest rate but it does highlight that whilst denuding India of huge wealth , England claimed they were in deficit. This is exactly the same position as Scotland. They also impoverished Scotland since the union and are denying us a democratic vote as they did in India.
    Your stupid remark at the end is pretty pathetic and juvenile. Perhaps you should stick to topics you know at least something about.
    Malcolm, I'm well versed in British rule of India.

But Scotland was given a democratic vote, unlike India ever was so your comparison is as rubbish as your usual output.

So how many people died because of the Highland clearances, I guess it will be as 'substantial' as your explanation of the 45 trillion figure.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I repeat: IndyRef2 is a great opportunity for unionism and reborn Brexit Britain. It's an opportunity to finally draw a line under the Scottish Independence issue, or to move forward as England & Wales (and NI lol). Otherwise it's just going to continue bubbling underneath.

However, the Government and Westminster needs to be prepared to cede permanent power to the Scottish Parliament as part of a new union settlement if that would indeed make a difference. They need to give the Scottish Parliament power to veto certain things Westminster wants to do. I know that's painful for unionists but otherwise DevoMax is a waste of time.

Like what? We already have an exceptionally large number of devolved matters where the Scottish Parliament can do what they like and Westminster has no say. The Health Service, benefits, education, social care, police and justice, capital investment, pretty much all the big spenders of government except defence and foreign aid. The Scottish Parliament has the right to vary some taxes and has done so in rather timid ways. We are already in devomax territory.

The fantasy that Holyrood is under the thumb of Westminster in any material way is just SNP propaganda. It's just not true. The apparent right of Scottish MPs to vote on such matters in England is much more of an issue and a consequence of the unbalanced devolution settlement Blair created.

The financial division of those taxes not devolved is also very favourable to Scotland with Barnett differentials being added to any new increase in spending in England. I think the extent of this favoritism is already at the limits of what is democratically acceptable.

I genuinely struggle to see what is left for yet more devolution. If we had a Scottish government that was interested in using the powers it has rather than trying to create more grievances there would be a real chance of addressing the serious structural problems in our economy in a way that might make the north of England jealous.
    Immigration for a start, which may have some connection to your 'structural problems'.

Always thought it a bit weird that Conservative Unionists think that trumpeting Scotland's supposed economic dependency on England was a good thing, though the current lot's entire strategy seems to be based on them giving Scots everything from the British Army to Prince Edward with nothing contributed by said Scots. Quite content from a strategic pov if that continues.
    How does Scotland have control of immigration without a hard border with England? What's to stop anyone we attracted catching the first train to London?

I dunno. It might be possible to give people the right to work in particular parts of the UK only. It might be possible to restrict students to Scottish institutions. If there was evidence that this was in fact holding the Scottish economy back we could look at it I suppose.

Scotland's current dependency on England is not a good thing. Its not healthy for either party. But our government is obsessed with petty differences and colouring the arguments for independence rather than trying to create business opportunities in Scotland that would reduce that dependency. We've just had a Scottish budget. The total lack of vision and ambition was beyond embarrassing. Where are our children's jobs going to come from? Are all the talented one's to be lost to the south? There is so much to do. If we did it successfully independence might even become a viable option.
    David, as we see regularly it is England that is dependent on Scotland, unionists are crapping tehmselves to allow a vote as they know they are F***** when Scotland votes Yes. Obfuscation and lies cannot hide the truth otherwise we would have the vote organised by now
    Sorry, but to say England is dependent on Scotland is a bit silly. Relocating Trident would be an arse, as would getting BAE to relocate ship building, moving other key industries, and focusing the new space launch industry on other sites; but those are annoyances and not dependencies. If you view it in pure monetary terms (I don’t) then the U.K. should want rid of Scotland. Of course, that’s also true of Middlesbrough, which is why I don’t think like that.
    Scotch expert then
    Speyside and Highland malts are best. Or English, Welsh, Japanese and Swedish after you piss off and we needn’t bother protecting the term in any way.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Pulpstar said:

One thing about the trans debate, F-> M trans barely get a mention

That's because, as with most things, the trans debate is inseparable from issues of power. Men, to the extent that they devote any thought to the matter (i.e. almost never,) don't view F to M transsexuals as a threat to their rights, safety or identity...
    In the abstract, perhaps. But in the real world, given the numbers for assaults on trans men, that seems a little unlikely.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Beat you by seconds - :smile:
    I have cut you out of this thread and placed you in a virtual waiting room.
    Oh c'mon. Stop trying to be whatever you're trying to be, you are not running this thread, you have no authority here, you are a clerk, so be a clerk.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Is this extant? Or was it one of the waves of bollocks sent out by the Yes campaign for the 2014 referendum?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

It is noticeable that the break point in Israel is 4-5 weeks post first injection, or 1-2 post the second.

I wouldn't expect to see a vaccination effect for another couple of weeks.
    I think given our strategy it would show up in the hospitalisation rate rather than the case data, from my own analysis I think the hospitalisation data is more favourable this time for targeted groups than in the last lockdown when one takes into account the Kent variant.
    I don't think that we can yet separate a vaccine effect from a post Christmas lockdown effect, though I would expect such an effect to show by the end of the month.

Case numbers in the first wavevwere too poor in terms of test access to be reliable.
    We are also vaccinating massively across categories.

So, in England, in the process of getting the first dose to

- 88% of the over 80s
    - 83% of the 75-79s

We have also

- 35% of the 70-74s
    - 8% of the under 70s - over 3 million people
  • Options

I am trying to decide which is worse, CH4 coverage of the cricket or ITV coverage of rugby?

In C4's defence, they only agreed the deal with less than 48 hours notice.
  • Options
    TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I was left on the side of the Chair. He’s a cock, but he’s an elected cock and most likely right that he’s in the Chair. I was very disappointed yesterday to discover that the TORs and standing orders has gone from the Council website. I wanted to have a dig into it and find out for sure.

I’m that anal.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    They’ve never needed much of an excuse to print *that* picture!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

I'm surprised you're so against Private Eye. In recent years it has done more than any other outlet to investigate and report on the misdeeds and corruption of the powerful - government contracts, the media, finance and so on. For example, its coverage of the Grenfell scandal has been excellent. There are also some genuinely funny cartoons and satire, in among the more childish stuff.

Yep, I blow hot and cold about the Eye but I actually think that being grumpy reactionaries adds punch to their undoubtedly valuable filleting of various governments and the great and the good. They could probably do with looking at the mote in their own eye a bit more frequently, Hislop seems quite comfy in his nook in the establishment.
    I suppose I'm seeing it as a (semi-former) professional politician - again and again I found them factually misleading with obvious selection of data to suit whatever line they were pushing. Combined with their general "all politicians are crap" approach it was irritating - you don't mind being told you're wrong with a decent argument, and even if it's an abusive constituent you can listen for the genuine motivations, but the Eye just seemed to approach every political story on the basis of:

1. Any politician is a lying bastard.
    2. Let's pick some facts to make it look like that's true.

And yes, they never struck me as really victimised angry people marginalised by society, just a few people making money out of exploiting cynicism. As you both say, that doesn't mean they aren't sometimes right, and we do need muckrakers, but they're so often wrong/unfair that it dilutes the effect.
  • Options
    In Lancashire old habits die hard. A couple of sheep taken into a pub lock in.
    https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/police-raid-lancashire-speakeasy-find-19784429
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The 45 trillion number, which I've dissected on this board before, is based on using ridiculously inflated numbers from the period of British (and Dutch and East India Company) occupation and administration of India.

They work out a trade deficit number, without looking at the fact the deficit was financed by... errr... the UK, and without reference to the fact that the India got things in return for the trade deficit. If we send $1 to Ethopia, and they used it to buy food from abroad, that would count as (according the "research") the $1 being extracted from Ethiopia.

Then to make it even more ridiculous, they then compound the sum based around a ridiculous interest rate. So, a sum equivalent to 10% of Indian GDP in about 1900 somehow becomes 20,000% of GDP today.

That someone could actually claim that the UK had extracted massively more from India than their cumulative GDP in the period is just absurd and ridiculous. That it is lapped up and trumpeted is just embarassing.
  • Options
    I can never get over the fact that the Scots haven't won at Twickenham since 1983, are Scottish men eunuchs or something?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

But Scotland was given a democratic vote, unlike India ever was so your comparison is as rubbish as your usual output.

So how many people died because of the Highland clearances, I guess it will be as 'substantial' as your explanation of the 45 trillion figure.
    YOU only prove my point. They made a real pig's ear of India , robbed them of all their wealth , murdered shed loads and left them in the lurch at a minutes notice. They have form , many more instances than India to consider, we are just the last in a long line of colonies.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

The 435th and final US House seat from the 2020 election has finally been decided, in New York State's 22nd congressional district. NY state judge has ordered counties to certify final returns that make Republican Claudia Tenney, a one-term former congresswoman, the winner over Democratic incumbent Anthony Brindisi, who narrowly defeated her in 2018, by margin of 109 votes.

This after judicial review of the election revealed numerous errors, such as over 2k requests for absentee ballots never processed by one county, pile of uncounted ballots in another, and a missing sticky not in a third.

Brindisi's lawyers challenged the judge's decision to certify Tenney the winner in court, and are appealing to NY appeals court and (no doubt) to US House. However, as practical matter seems certain that she will be seated pending developments.

So current US House consists of:
    > Democrats 221
    > Republicans 211 + Tenney = 212
    > Vacant 2

Note that both of the current vacancies are in Louisiana, with special elections scheduled for March 20
    > LD CD 02 where Democrat Cedric Richmond resigned in January to accept position in Biden administration; this seat is New Orleans plus some nearby suburbs (and marshes) and should stay Democratic.
    > LA CD 05 where Republican congressman-elect Luke Letlow won December runoff election but died of COVID before taking office; should remain safe for the GOP (in December runoff both candidates were Republicans).

Further note that there are two more impending US House vacancies, assuming that the incumbent Democrats are confirmed as members of Joe Biden's cabinet; both of these seats should be retained by Democrats when special elections are held.
    > NM CD 01 (northern NM including Santa Fe) currently held by Deb Haalund
    > OH CD 11 (east side of Cleveland) currently represented by Marcia Fudge (special election will pit Black establishment against Black progressive)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The 45 trillion number, which I've dissected on this board before, is based on using ridiculously inflated numbers from the period of British (and Dutch and East India Company) occupation and administration of India.

They work out a trade deficit number, without looking at the fact the deficit was financed by... errr... the UK, and without reference to the fact that the India got things in return for the trade deficit. If we send $1 to Ethopia, and they used it to buy food from abroad, that would count as (according the "research") the $1 being extracted from Ethiopia.

Then to make it even more ridiculous, they then compound the sum based around a ridiculous interest rate. So, a sum equivalent to 10% of Indian GDP in about 1900 somehow becomes 20,000% of GDP today.

That someone could actually claim that the UK had extracted massively more from India than their cumulative GDP in the period is just absurd and ridiculous. That it is lapped up and trumpeted is just embarassing.
    So only idiots believe the 45 trillion figure, no wonder MalcolmG believes it.
  • Options

The really annoying thing is the lack of proper extended highlights. The new BBC format last summer was ok, but Sky are really good at it, and you can guarantee being able to see the overnight sessions at some convenient point during the day.
  • Options

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I was left on the side of the Chair. He’s a cock, but he’s an elected cock and most likely right that he’s in the Chair. I was very disappointed yesterday to discover that the TORs and standing orders has gone from the Council website. I wanted to have a dig into it and find out for sure.

I’m that anal.
    Agreed, he should not have been kicked off. He was the elected Chair. Now, other councillors could presumably call for a vote on replacing him, but it was not appropriate for him to be kicked out by an unelected official, no matter how much of a cock he was being.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

The 435th and final US House seat from the 2020 election has finally been decided, in New York State's 22nd congressional district. NY state judge has ordered counties to certify final returns that make Republican Claudia Tenney, a one-term former congresswoman, the winner over Democratic incumbent Anthony Brindisi, who narrowly defeated her in 2018, by margin of 109 votes.

This after judicial review of the election revealed numerous errors, such as over 2k requests for absentee ballots never processed by one county, pile of uncounted ballots in another, and a missing sticky not in a third.

Brindisi's lawyers challenged the judge's decision to certify Tenney the winner in court, and are appealing to NY appeals court and (no doubt) to US House. However, as practical matter seems certain that she will be seated pending developments.

So current US House consists of:
    > Democrats 221
    > Republicans 211 + Tenney = 212
    > Vacant 2

Note that both of the current vacancies are in Louisiana, with special elections scheduled for March 20
    > LD CD 02 where Democrat Cedric Richmond resigned in January to accept position in Biden administration; this seat is New Orleans plus some nearby suburbs (and marshes) and should stay Democratic.
    > LA CD 05 where Republican congressman-elect Luke Letlow won December runoff election but died of COVID before taking office; should remain safe for the GOP (in December runoff both candidates were Republicans).

Further note that there are two more impending US House vacancies, assuming that the incumbent Democrats are confirmed as members of Joe Biden's cabinet; both of these seats should be retained by Democrats when special elections are held.
    > NM CD 01 (northern NM including Santa Fe) currently held by Deb Haalund
    > OH CD 11 (east side of Cleveland) currently represented by Marcia Fudge (special election will pit Black establishment against Black progressive)

109? That's not even that close!

Thank for always being able to provide such detail of what's going on stateside.

German PBers will have big expectations come the Federal elections.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

YOU only prove my point. They made a real pig's ear of India , robbed them of all their wealth , murdered shed loads and left them in the lurch at a minutes notice. They have form , many more instances than India to consider, we are just the last in a long line of colonies.
    The Scots have no colonial history as part of the U.K. Government, Imperial Civil Service, and East India Company then? It’s all England/Wales/Ireland.

That’s good because presumably we can claim credit for all the achievements too.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

So no evidence to back up your assertions.

Noted with thanks.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

The really annoying thing is the lack of proper extended highlights. The new BBC format last summer was ok, but Sky are really good at it, and you can guarantee being able to see the overnight sessions at some convenient point during the day.
    Yes, that is the most annoying aspect, especially when play starts at 4,00am.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited February 2021

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The ethnic cleansing of Highland culture after 1746, the Tranent Massacre which is comparable with that of Peterloo though nothing like as well known, the Highland Potato famine following on from that of Ireland which added to the hundreds of thousands of able bodied, young Scots who had to emigrate to make a living for themselves, the Highland Clearances contributing to same.

All Union dividends I'm sure.

Ireland's treatment by the UK in terms of massacres and famine is of course directly comparable to India's experience.

• Options
    edited February 2021

The really annoying thing is the lack of proper extended highlights.
    Gods, enough Handforth jokes!

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Is Scotland planning to pay their bit of it back? About 4 tn I suppose.

• Options

I'm surprised you're so against Private Eye. In recent years it has done more than any other outlet to investigate and report on the misdeeds and corruption of the powerful - government contracts, the media, finance and so on. For example, its coverage of the Grenfell scandal has been excellent. There are also some genuinely funny cartoons and satire, in among the more childish stuff.

Yep, I blow hot and cold about the Eye but I actually think that being grumpy reactionaries adds punch to their undoubtedly valuable filleting of various governments and the great and the good. They could probably do with looking at the mote in their own eye a bit more frequently, Hislop seems quite comfy in his nook in the establishment.
    I suppose I'm seeing it as a (semi-former) professional politician - again and again I found them factually misleading with obvious selection of data to suit whatever line they were pushing. Combined with their general "all politicians are crap" approach it was irritating - you don't mind being told you're wrong with a decent argument, and even if it's an abusive constituent you can listen for the genuine motivations, but the Eye just seemed to approach every political story on the basis of:

And yes, they never struck me as really victimised angry people marginalised by society, just a few people making money out of exploiting cynicism. As you both say, that doesn't mean they aren't sometimes right, and we do need muckrakers, but they're so often wrong/unfair that it dilutes the effect.
    I agree. Hislop stopped punching up a long time ago. Probably round about the time HIGNFY stopped being fresh, though maybe not that long.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I’m that anal.
    Agreed, he should not have been kicked off. He was the elected Chair. Now, other councillors could presumably call for a vote on replacing him, but it was not appropriate for him to be kicked out by an unelected official, no matter how much of a cock he was being.
    From what I can understand, he had been avoiding holding council meetings, and this was an emergency meeting called (in accordance with standing orders) by two other councillors.
    The acting clerk was quite in order to throw out abusive participants (also in accordance with standing orders). They were offered readmittance if they behaved, but did not take up the offer.
  • Options
    Hope they weren't salt'n'vinegar, could be a bit..er..nippy.

https://twitter.com/bobservant/status/1358093869150310402?s=20
  • Options

Hope they weren't salt'n'vinegar, could be a bit..er..nippy.

https://twitter.com/bobservant/status/1358093869150310402?s=20

I don't wish to belittle their jumble sale, but 'two figure sum'?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I’m that anal.
    From what I can understand, he had been avoiding holding council meetings, and this was an emergency meeting called (in accordance with standing orders) by two other councillors.
    The acting clerk was quite in order to throw out abusive participants (also in accordance with standing orders). They were offered readmittance if they behaved, but did not take up the offer.
    That’s interesting. See, this is why I’m sad enough to have wanted to read the standing orders and the ToRs. It does show the issue with VTCs for everything. Couldn’t quite happen in this way with physical meetings.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Here in California, it starts at a very sensible 8pm. This means that I can watch the afternoon session in bed.

You should consider moving here.
  • Options

Newcastle down to 9 men against Southampton.
    Currently leading 3-2.

Really cannot believe that Newcastle won that. Shots off the post, cleared off the line, very hard on Southampton.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Well given how much blood Scottish Viceroys of India have on their hand, it should be higher.

I'm sure it will come as a shock to some that Viceroys of India weren't exclusively English.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I’m that anal.
    Quite odd for a clerk to have that level of authority in standing orders it seem, usually the Chair would throw people out (which does make it hard when the Chair is being abusive), but did they then specify who actually presides?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    In about 3 days time 25% of the adult population will have had at least one jab. Great achievement.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Well given how much blood Scottish Viceroys of India have on their hand, it should be higher.

I'm sure it will come as a shock to some that Viceroys of India weren't exclusively English.
    They were exclusively British weren't they?
  • Options

All this talk of May, we should be through to the end of Group 9 before the end of March. Unless there is a supply squeeze coming up. Is there something we are not being told?.

Hopefully I can be fully vaccinated by the solstice, and be able to venture out to a pub in July.

If the over 50s are vaccinated by the end of March, they won't have all acquired substantial immunity until 22 April. Hence a May target.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited February 2021

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The ethnic cleansing of Highland culture after 1746, the Tranent Massacre which is comparable with that of Peterloo though nothing like as well known, the Highland Potato famine following on from that of Ireland which added to the hundreds of thousands of able bodied, young Scots who had to emigrate to make a living for themselves, the Highland Clearances contributing to same.

Ireland's treatment by the UK in terms of massacres and famine is of course directly comparable to India's experience.

Thanks for a bit of honest context.

One of the great mysteries of our time how forgiving the Irish are towards the British.

Whenever you thought Britain couldn't sink any lower in Ireland we somehow managed it.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited February 2021

algarkirk said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

I suppose it can be argued that the incompetence of the Darien Scheme shows that any successful Scots within the Empire were just riding on English, Welsh, and Irish coattails. That could absolve them of blame...
  • Options

algarkirk said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

They were exclusively British weren't they?
    See David's post at 4:56.
  • Options
    Unless we get a shift on with vaccination:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1358098300310847488?s=20
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How very apt

One of the great mysteries of our time how forgiving the Irish are towards the British.

Whenever you thought Britain couldn't sink any lower in Ireland we somehow managed it.
    Priti's the woman to sooth any remaining wounds.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Here in California, it starts at a very sensible 8pm. This means that I can watch the afternoon session in bed.

Here in sunny Dubai, it starts at starts at an even more sensible 8am, so I can watch the morning session in bed and the afternoon sessions at my desk.

Please don’t all move here, they keep making the restrictions tighter as the covid cases went up with all the visitors in December and January.
  • Options
    If Sharpe books have taught me anything all good British soldiers of the Imperial period were Scottish, Irish or Welsh apart from Sharpe, and the villainous officers were always English.
  • Options
    Can England rugby team mabage to go 5mins without giving away a penalty?
  • Options
    Dirty England..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442

One issue they have is that the'r fact checking is a bit variable - some stories are beautifully researched. Others not so.

There was one, of the "Rich bastard buys poor country" variety a while back - a billionaire moving to a Caribbean nation, IIRC. They printed aerial picture, claiming that it was a giant mega swimming pool for said billionaire, on an island with water supply issues.

Simply comparing the picture with the size of cars nearby showed that said swimming pool was literally miles across. 1 minute with Google showed that it was the local reservoir.

• Options

Dirty England..

Empire or Rugby?
  • Options

QTWTAIN.
  • Options

No.
  • Options

Dirty England..

Scotland have had more dominance at Twickenham so far than Scottish issues on this thread and they lead only 3-0. Can't help feeling they may come to regret that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Is there a lot of demand for Scots lawyers?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

I read that earlier and felt it is be slightly bollocks as it assumes that assumes vaccination will proceed at current rates. It also assumes that there will be no acquisition of immunity through other means...catching the thing primarily
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The numbers are silly, but it’s true that we wreaked devastation on the 19thC Indian economy by taking away their ability to protect a large domestic textile industry against the newly industrialised British cotton trade. Its destruction as a competitor for the raw material cotton was quite deliberate.

Japan’s extraordinary industrialisation in the second half of the nineteenth century could not have occurred had it been a colony.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dirty England..

Empire or Rugby?
    A colonial doing the dirty work, so..
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dirty England..

Scotland have had more dominance at Twickenham so far than Scottish issues on this thread and they lead only 3-0. Can't help feeling they may come to regret that.
    Wait until the England players catch up on this thread at half time. Talk about motivation.
  • Options
    Bastert
  • Options

No.
    But its ok because they can apparently get away with collapsing the scrum until they are no longer a man down.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How very apt

My thread tomorrow afternoon is about the island of Ireland, I have some suggestions to soothe wounds.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That could easily have been a try. England have barely turned up.

Edit: and there’s the try. Useless.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The numbers are silly, but it’s true that we wreaked devastation on the 19thC Indian economy by taking away their ability to protect a large domestic textile industry against the newly industrialised British cotton trade. Its destruction as a competitor for the raw material cotton was quite deliberate.

Japan’s extraordinary industrialisation in the second half of the nineteenth century could not have occurred had it been a colony.
    Major beneficiary, Coats Paton and Baldwin of Paisley. Just saying.
  • Options
    FeckPissAndShite.

Never really liked any sport other than cricket.

#ThankGodForFellowDoreLadJoeRoot
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How very apt

My thread tomorrow afternoon is about the island of Ireland, I have some suggestions to soothe wounds.
    It’s easy. If the Scots get independence than as penance they must take NI with them. England and Wales then just sit back and count their money.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Scotland is not a colony, if it was all its MPs would be removed from Westminster as well as its Parliament scrapped
  • Options
    Now this is going to be a genuine once in a generation opportunity for Scotland.

Scotland winning in Twickenham for the first time in 38 years.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Pfizer alone will produce more than TWO BILLION doses of their vaccine this year. The Serum Institute of India will produce TWO BILLION doses between Novavax and AZ this year.

And that is ignoring all the production of other vaccines (or, indeed, by AZ and Novavax themselves).

I have little doubt that lower income countries, and those without effective systems for distributing vaccines, will struggle. But for the developed world, everyone will get a vaccine (of some kind) by the end of August (if they want it), and by then the mRNA guys will have developed boosters for any little mutations that come along.

CV19 will be seen as a positive turning point for the world, because mRNA technology is going to change medicine. It's going to be absolutely fabulous for oncology, and it's going to make seasonal flu shots massively more effective. And it was all accelerated by CV19.

Three cheers for the virus!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

No, Hong Kong was, and that was a stunning success story.

(GDP/cap of HK in 1997 - $27,000; GDP/cap of mainland China - $800. Number of Chinese refugees who fled to HK in 20th century - 3 million. Number of HK refugees who fled to China - ~0).
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited February 2021
    As much as it all looks good, some of the wonks have some concerns about the rate of decline Some of their modelling suggests there is a danger to the trajectory of the downward trend.

On the rugby, Scotland need to be the 10 points up. England will not be this bad whole game.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Now this is going to be a genuine once in a generation opportunity for Scotland.

Awful from eng, huge from the Scots. They’ve been awesome so far.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The numbers are silly, but it’s true that we wreaked devastation on the 19thC Indian economy by taking away their ability to protect a large domestic textile industry against the newly industrialised British cotton trade.
    In other words our sin was providing them with cheap clothes they wanted to buy?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I’m that anal.
    Quite odd for a clerk to have that level of authority in standing orders it seem, usually the Chair would throw people out (which does make it hard when the Chair is being abusive), but did they then specify who actually presides?
    De facto, rather than de jure - but I seriously doubt it could successfully be litigated.
    She only had authority as the Zoom host. :smile:

There’s an analysis here, which seems persuasive.
    https://davidallengreen.com/2021/02/did-jackie-weaver-have-the-authority-the-law-and-policy-of-that-handforth-parish-council-meeting/
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

The numbers are silly, but it’s true that we wreaked devastation on the 19thC Indian economy by taking away their ability to protect a large domestic textile industry against the newly industrialised British cotton trade.
    In other words our sin was providing them with cheap clothes they wanted to buy?
    Plus of course bringing Westminster style democracy, common law, railways and stopping widows being thrown on funeral pyres, it was not all bad
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How very apt

It’s easy. If the Scots get independence than as penance they must take NI with them. England and Wales then just sit back and count their money.
    My solution is very elegant, although I fear I will upset some.

That said, the opening line to my piece is brilliant.
  • Options

Awful from eng, huge from the Scots. They’ve been awesome so far.
    I blame the kit, we should have never moved to Umbro.

Awful kit, we should have stayed with Canterbury, or moved to Nike or Adidas.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Scotland has a deficit of 8.6%, the UK has a deficit of 2.5%.

The UK government subsidises the Scottish deficit

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/union-dividend-of-1941-for-every-person-in-scotland#:~:text=As a percentage of Scotland's,less than 3% of GDP.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited February 2021
    Dirty Scotland, should be a red card and penalty try.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/union-dividend-of-1941-for-every-person-in-scotland#:~:text=As a percentage of Scotland's,less than 3% of GDP.

Deficits result from the choices of sovereign governments. Scotland doesn't have a deficit.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. Irish2, if it makes you feel better, it's started to ease at last.

The river running outside my house has become a little less powerful.

Mr. kinabalu, aye, and yet MPs representing Scottish constituencies can vote on English and Welsh taxes, which can then be amended in Scotland by MSPs.

There are micro areas of valid English grievance but the macro - the big picture - is nevertheless that Westminster rules the UK and England dominates Westminster.
    If however the Tories win a majority in England in 2024 but there is a hung parliament across the UK and Starmer becomes PM thanks to the support of the SNP and Welsh Labour MPs, as is very possible on some current polls, there will be a surge in English nationalism.

That surge will grow even further if Starmer gives Scotland's Parliament devomax, as he probably would but does not do anything about the West Lothian question
    I won't argue with that. There is a surge in English Nationalism now and I'm sure it could easily go up another gear or two. But one hopes not.
    @HYUFD also assured us that Biden winning would lead to a surge of Georgian Republican sentiment to ensure the Dems didn't hold the Senate. Remember that?
    It is certainly leading to a surge in secessionist sentiment in Trump voting Texas, Georgia voted for Biden so is not a valid comparison if England voted Tory but the UK voted Labour and SNP and that then led to a surge in English nationalist sentiment.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/05/texas-republicans-endorse-legislation-vote-secession
  • Options

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How very apt

Deficits result from the choices of sovereign governments. Scotland doesn't have a deficit.
    It does, largely due to its spendthrift SNP government
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you mean:

I’m that anal.
    I think for the Tolverites it's all about the democratic deficit implied by having power ceded to the unelected technocrat Jackie Weaver. Me, I think they're wrong. But there's no doubting the strength of feeling.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. Irish2, if it makes you feel better, it's started to ease at last.

The river running outside my house has become a little less powerful.

Mr. kinabalu, aye, and yet MPs representing Scottish constituencies can vote on English and Welsh taxes, which can then be amended in Scotland by MSPs.

There are micro areas of valid English grievance but the macro - the big picture - is nevertheless that Westminster rules the UK and England dominates Westminster.
    If however the Tories win a majority in England in 2024 but there is a hung parliament across the UK and Starmer becomes PM thanks to the support of the SNP and Welsh Labour MPs, as is very possible on some current polls, there will be a surge in English nationalism.

That surge will grow even further if Starmer gives Scotland's Parliament devomax, as he probably would but does not do anything about the West Lothian question
    I won't argue with that. There is a surge in English Nationalism now and I'm sure it could easily go up another gear or two. But one hopes not.
    @HYUFD also assured us that Biden winning would lead to a surge of Georgian Republican sentiment to ensure the Dems didn't hold the Senate. Remember that?
    It is certainly leading to a surge in secessionist sentiment in Trump voting Texas, Georgia voted for Biden so is not a valid comparison if England voted Tory but the UK voted Labour and SNP

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/05/texas-republicans-endorse-legislation-vote-secession
    Have you popped up on Texan secessionist forums to tell them about Quebec and Catalonia?
This discussion has been closed.