Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer, not up to it? – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Routine bowel screening seems to have ground to a halt for now. My husband should have received a kit in September. They used to arrive very promptly every two years.

Information on the internet says it was paused in March. But it restarted n August.
    I'm not sure if the new variant and its effects have changed that.

A relative of ours had a complete stem cell transplant over a year ago. She still receives visits to hospital and associated treatments. Some life (literally) goes on.
    Mrs Fairliered received and returned hers three weeks ago. Negative result thankfully. So no delays in Scotland.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Andy_JS said:

#StarmerOut is trending on Twitter. Not sure why.

Because people read this thread.
    Lot of tories on here why would they want starmer out he is sort of the wet paper bag of politicians
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited January 2021

On the vaccine giveaway dispute:

1. No movement possible until phase one is complete
    2. Government might then consider slowing down the immunisation of the young and fit (there's zero probability of them stopping) and giving some of the vaccine doses away to help others
    3. You can understand why they might want to throw various elements of the international community a bone on this; however...
    4. I like having fully-functional internal organs, so it would be hypocritical of me to support any such action when it increases still further my risk of ending up as a Long Covid blighted wreck whilst I wait and wait and wait. Not to mention solving the dilemma of whether or not to travel to see vaccinated older relatives I've not seen for many months, when I'm still defenceless and would have to make long journeys on dirty trains full of dirty strangers in order to do so. Consequently...
    5. I don't want the Government to send any of the stuff overseas until the whole adult population has had both jabs, or until there are more vaccines then it can possibly use for the NHS, and the surplus can therefore be donated safely

And sorry if that's desperately selfish and everything, but none of us is perfect so I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I'd add these comments:

1 - Whatever is to be done for outside the UK needs to be set up in advance so that it starts immediately at whatever the trigger point is. Remember the thing about Hancock saying to get the infra for UK rollout in place months early so that it is ready to as soon as vaccine arrives.

2 - If we have full amount of UK jabs in stock and ready, then it may be that our constraint is delivery capacity within UK. I would find it acceptable for 'give aways' to start then, as it makes no different to UK rollout. Maybe sooner, depending on 4.

3 - I would potentially support that starting before I have had my second jab.

4 - The difficult bit is how to walk a path between finishing here, and starting overseas, and whether risk balance makes that acceptable. eg There are groups in UK with near zero risk.

5 - Tricky politics around it, too. Which also needs considering in advance.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Pagan2 said:

2. Government might then consider slowing down the immunisation of the young and fit (there's zero probability of them stopping) and giving some of the vaccine doses away to help others
    3. You can understand why they might want to throw various elements of the international community a bone on this; however...
    4. I like having fully-functional internal organs, so it would be hypocritical of me to support any such action when it increases still further my risk of ending up as a Long Covid blighted wreck whilst I wait and wait and wait. Not to mention solving the dilemma of whether or not to travel to see vaccinated older relatives I've not seen for many months, when I'm still defenceless and would have to make long journeys on dirty trains full of dirty strangers in order to do so. Consequently...
    5. I don't want the Government to send any of the stuff overseas until the whole adult population has had both jabs, or until there are more vaccines then it can possibly use for the NHS, and the surplus can therefore be donated safely

And sorry if that's desperately selfish and everything, but none of us is perfect so I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Was anyone giving the impression that they thought you should beat yourself up about it?
    One person was
    Luckily the Herd was united in beating of this vicious, lone wolf attack.
    Perhaps if you were bold enough to venture an opinion (other than your distaste for everyone else's opinions) he might not be a lone wolf.
    Since you ask, my immediate view is that I find the gleeful, angry, communal masturbation off putting. I feel interjecting any other view would be lost in the hundreds of posts expressing precisely the same opinion.

I'll stick with distaste for the mo', I'm sure all you chaps can cope with it.
    This 'chap' has not expressed any glee, anger, or tumescence about the current situation, I have simply ventured opinions (I hope in a polite and reasonable way) about where we should go from here. I would be genuinely interested to read your thoughts, because I find your posts interesting and thoughtful when you forget to be disgusted with everyone.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andy_JS said:

#StarmerOut is trending on Twitter. Not sure why.

Huh. Pride Week seems to come round earlier every year.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Was anyone giving the impression that they thought you should beat yourself up about it?
    One person was
    Perhaps if you were bold enough to venture an opinion (other than your distaste for everyone else's opinions) he might not be a lone wolf.
    Since you ask, my immediate view is that I find the gleeful, angry, communal masturbation off putting. I feel interjecting any other view would be lost in the hundreds of posts expressing precisely the same opinion.

This 'chap' has not expressed any glee, anger, or tumescence about the current situation, I have simply ventured opinions (I hope in a polite and reasonable way) about where we should go from here. I would be genuinely interested to read your thoughts, because I find your posts interesting and thoughtful when you forget to be disgusted with everyone.
    Whereas I will admit I am disgusted by him, Kinablu has had his jab and is now arguing others shouldn't get theirs
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

geoffw said:

Can she keep gettting away with it?

‘She always acted as if she would do everything different - better - than her predecessor. It frequently sounded as though von der Leyen planned to reinvent whatever department or ministry she had just assumed control of, making it more functional and glamorous at the same time,' argued Spiegel. 'By the time it became necessary to dive into the sordid details she had usually moved on.'
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ursula-von-der-leyen-has-always-left-a-trail-of-disaster
    Of course she can she is a german dido harding....the more she fails the more she gets promoted

I was thinking more Failing Grayling...
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

One person was

I'll get back to you when I stop being disgusted.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Whereas I will admit I am disgusted by him, Kinablu has had his jab and is now arguing others shouldn't get theirs
    Sorry, I didn't know that bit. He's already HAD his jab???

Hahahahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

At least Kinabula is coming to a forum where he knows he'll find strong arguments against what he's proposing - many would stick to Twitter and Facebook where they will get a choir of matching opinions.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

geoffw said:

Can she keep gettting away with it?

‘She always acted as if she would do everything different - better - than her predecessor. It frequently sounded as though von der Leyen planned to reinvent whatever department or ministry she had just assumed control of, making it more functional and glamorous at the same time,' argued Spiegel. 'By the time it became necessary to dive into the sordid details she had usually moved on.'
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ursula-von-der-leyen-has-always-left-a-trail-of-disaster
    Of course she can she is a german dido harding....the more she fails the more she gets promoted
    I was thinking more Failing Grayling...

Well thats going a bit far even she isnt as bad as grayling who is unique in human history having failed at anything he tried to do except being born
  • Options
    Selmayr is now getting a proper kicking on Twitter. Good.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

How does it go? Ah yes - "I'm not against people who haven't had a vaccination yet. Some of my best friends are people who haven't been vaccinated yet. But......"
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

At least Kinabula is coming to a forum where he knows he'll find strong arguments against what he's proposing - many would stick to Twitter and Facebook where they will get a choir of matching opinions.
    Nots but also in his post tried to shut down discussion of his views by saying he wanted to avoid them....failed obviously but he tried
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

How does it go? Ah yes - "I'm not against people who haven't had a vaccination yet. Some of my best friends are people who haven't been vaccinated yet. But......"
    For clarification I dont think kinablu is a bad guy but he does seem naive from his opinions on abolishing private education and peoples reaction to it and what they would do , all the way through to his internationalism...I can pretty much guarantee from the eu reactions that if the boot was on the other foot and the uk was struggling for vaccines whereas the eu had them the reaction would be "Thats what you get for leaving the eu and you deserve it bigots"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited January 2021

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Pretty sure Kinabalu can look after himself, but nice of you to condescend to be disgusted at the responses to him. Probably gives a nice, warm feeling.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Too many tweets make a ....
  • Options

Leon said:

guardian journalist?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    DavidL said:

Spurs choke again .

To be honest they would be as well giving the title to Manchester City now. No one else is going to be close and all of the rest are searching for the next thing to trip over. If its less than 10 points by the end of the season I will be very surprised.
    Leicester says hello.
  • Options

Leon said:

Trump?
  • Options

Leon said:

Trump?
    Not any more....
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

guardian journalist?
    Oxymoron
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Leon said:

Trump?
    Has Macron been tweeting again?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Trump?
    Has Macron been tweeting again?
    thats trompe not trump
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited January 2021
    It is reported that the Government plans to impose a two-year pay freeze on railway workers, on the apparently sensible grounds that the industry has been bailed out (to the tune of over £10bn) and nationalised, income from fares has collapsed because services run almost empty, and most of the public sector outside the NHS has already been hit with the same measures.

The leader of the RMT has responded by threatening strike action. If the measure is enacted then it would appear that he's decided to hold a small number of key workers and a large amount of thin air hostage, in order to extract better terms.

This is unlikely to end well for him.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Floater said:
    Eh? I didn't know the Germans had aircraft carriers (not since not finishing the KM Graf Zeppelin). What's that about?
    Creative licence perhaps?

Ursula von der Leyen is planning a new career as European Commission chief in Brussels, but the German defense minister still has questions to answer back home.

An investigative committee of the German parliament — the toughest instrument that lawmakers can use to probe government misdeeds — is digging into how lucrative contracts from her ministry were awarded to outside consultants without proper oversight, and whether a network of informal personal connections facilitated those deals.

The watchdog, which monitors German government cashflows, described dozens of irregularities in the hiring of external consultants by von der Leyen’s defense ministry.

Those consultants played a more significant role than the ministry had publicly claimed, several media reports said: In 2015, for example, auditors estimated that the ministry had spent up to €100 million on external consultants, but only officially declared €2.2 million for the purpose. A year later, the ministry had spent up to €150 million on advisers while declaring only €2.9 million.

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-scandal-hanging-over-ursula-von-der-leyen/

Thank goodness we never see that sort of thing.
    Politics has always attracted the corrupt in every country everywhere its not just an english or german or american failing....the last people who should ever be elected are those that want to be
    Watch https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-gravy-train/on-demand/7476-001
    It's great to see the backstory of Ernst Blofeldt.
  • Options

It is reported that the Government plans to impose a two-year pay freeze on railway workers, on the apparently sensible grounds that they've been bailed out (to the tune of over £10bn) and nationalised, income from fares has collapsed because services run almost empty, and most of the public sector outside the NHS has already been hit with the same measures.

The leader of the RMT has responded by threatening strike action. It would appear that he's decided to hold a small number of key workers and a large amount of thin air hostage, in order to extract better terms.

This is unlikely to end well for him.

strike action when they have no public to incovenience?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Pretty sure Kinabalu can look after himself, but nice of you to condescend to be disgusted at the responses to him. Probably gives a nice, warm feeling.
    Ah, the constant, slightly annoying wee voice on my shoulder.
    Just to put your mind at rest, I'm disgusted by far more than any responses to Kinbalu (I don't think I've even read all of them).
  • Options

Leon said:

He's hastily contextualising and claiming that his original tweet was actually meant to say: look we need to do better for Africa.

But I don't think that was his intention. The tweet was an attempt to justify the EU's vax programme by comparing it with countries that hadn't even started - Japan - or going very slowly - Africa

If his tweet was actually a compassionate plea for poor Africa, why gloat about the brilliant EU, why mention Japan?:

This is what he said:

"To clarify: The European Union thanks to the joint work of 27 governments,
    @EU_CommissionvResearchers + companies vaccinated 12 million people in 3 weeks. 128 countries have not yet started vaccinating, e.g. Japan, South Africa. In Africa only 20,000 people have been vaccinated so far."

He tweeted something odious and now he's lying to undo the damage

• Options

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Ah, the constant, slightly annoying wee voice on my shoulder.
    Just to put your mind at rest, I'm disgusted by far more than any responses to Kinbalu (I don't think I've even read all of them).
    What disgusts you? That people think british taxpayers should get vaccines they have financed first?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He's hastily contextualising and claiming that his original tweet was actually meant to say: look we need to do better for Africa.

But I don't think that was his intention. The tweet was an attempt to justify the EU's vax programme by comparing it with countries that hadn't even started - Japan - or going very slowly - Africa

If his tweet was actually a compassionate plea for poor Africa, why gloat about the brilliant EU, why mention Japan?:

This is what he said:

@EU_CommissionvResearchers + companies vaccinated 12 million people in 3 weeks. 128 countries have not yet started vaccinating, e.g. Japan, South Africa. In Africa only 20,000 people have been vaccinated so far."

Another German having a Cartman style meltdown. I can only put it down to lockdown syndrome.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

geoffw said:

Thrashing about.

France and Germany threatened legal action against AstraZeneca on Sunday as they scrambled to explain their shortages in vaccine supplies and warned that any firm which favoured UK orders for the jabs would be penalised.

Clement Beaune, the French Europe minister, threatened sanctions against the Anglo-Swedish firm, which produces the Oxford vaccine, if it emerged that Britain had been given priority.

"If there is a problem and that other countries have been favoured - for example the UK over us - then we will defend our interests," Mr Beaune said on Sunday. "Contracts are not moral commitments, they are legal commitments. Penalties or sanctions can be triggered in every contract."
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/31/france-germany-mull-sanctions-vaccine-providers-eu-row-delays/
    That last proposition is, with respect, remarkable. Has he never heard of a hold harmless clause?

Um, no they can't, and is he leapfrogging action to enforce the terms of the contract and going straight to penalties and sanctions which are unhelpful, counterproductive, unenforceable in sensible legal systems and not contained in his particular contract in the first place? This is like Kyriakides thinking that neighbourhood butchers deal in something other than contracts. People complain that too many politicians are lawyers; the EU seems to have the opposite problem.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

geoffw said:

Thrashing about.

France and Germany threatened legal action against AstraZeneca on Sunday as they scrambled to explain their shortages in vaccine supplies and warned that any firm which favoured UK orders for the jabs would be penalised.

Clement Beaune, the French Europe minister, threatened sanctions against the Anglo-Swedish firm, which produces the Oxford vaccine, if it emerged that Britain had been given priority.

"If there is a problem and that other countries have been favoured - for example the UK over us - then we will defend our interests," Mr Beaune said on Sunday. "Contracts are not moral commitments, they are legal commitments. Penalties or sanctions can be triggered in every contract."
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/31/france-germany-mull-sanctions-vaccine-providers-eu-row-delays/
    That last proposition is, with respect, remarkable. Has he never heard of a hold harmless clause?
    Um, no they can't, and is he leapfrogging action to enforce the terms of the contract and going straight to penalties and sanctions which are unhelpful, counterproductive, unenforceable in sensible legal systems and not contained in his particular contract in the first place? This is like Kyriakides thinking that neighbourhood butchers deal in something other than contracts. People complain that too many politicians are lawyers; the EU seems to have the opposite problem.

It is truly remarkable that the thing that has brought most remainers and leavers together is eu action
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Leon said:

Leon said:

This is what he said:

So he says that the EU has jabbed under half a million per country in 3 weeks as a result of 27 countries working together. Wow! I'm surprised as I thought when Hancock tweeted about the UK achievement that was distasteful and jingoistic or some such crap. I guess when you do it to do down the Africans that must be ok.
  • Options
    While a little flippant I have to say I wouldn't like to be the postman servicing that hospital I suspect the weight of get well cards are hernia inducing
  • Options
    All care home residents, 90% of over 80s and 75% of 75-79 . . . that is a brilliant amount to end January with.
  • Options
    The Torygraph is also reporting that, according to "a source" (and yes, I know we have to take these things with a heavy pinch of salt, but anyway...) that Britain is to prioritise Ireland for spare jabs once there's enough stock available for the UK rollout.

Can't read the rest due to paywall. Sounds sensible but we shall see what transpires in due course.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

It's really not the main point - but in fact I haven't had my jab and I don't expect to get it for quite some time.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1355998525532868616

Hopefully that means in around three weeks the number of hospitalisations and deaths will fall quite markedly, it also frees up a lot of home visit capacity for hard to reach over 75s who may have mobility issues. Great news.
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is what he said:

So he says that the EU has jabbed under half a million per country in 3 weeks as a result of 27 countries working together. Wow! I'm surprised as I thought when Hancock tweeted about the UK achievement that was distasteful and jingoistic or some such crap. I guess when you do it to do down the Africans that must be ok.
    You forget its only uk jingoism that is the problem...eu jingoism is permissible because they are internationalists
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

OT
    The thing I can't understand about the whole vaccination fiasco is why Johnson and Gove aren't jumping up and down trying to make political capital about this. Their fanbois on PB on Friday evening were in ecstacy about it all. I wonder if there is something in the argument that AZ unofficially diverted some jabs into the UK pile. I remember in the news back in December/January it was announced that there would be a shortage of jabs anyway due to underproduction. This doesn't seem to have become apparent, so perhaps there may have been a little back scratching going on.....

They have made political capital out of it by doing exactly what they have done - saying nothing unless absolutely necessary. First and foremost this was an argument between AZN and the EU. By standing aloof until it directly threatened us - such as banning exports or invoking article 16 - and then simply registering concern, they have done for more for both their cause and the British position in all of this than if they had started shouting and making overt capital out of it.

It is far more adult a position than I ever expected from Johnson. I fear it won't last.
    Agree with you, Richard. Whether the EC do or do not have a case against AZ - and I do not share the certainty of some on here that they don't - the reaction of our government has so far been absolutely spot on. Mature. Peaceful. No British Bulldog. No warrior rhetoric. It is both the right response and it works.

And I wish to widen and develop this point. There is much sentiment along the lines of "We've done great on vaccines and should reap the full reward. Let's not even think about helping out others until we've jabbed every man jack of our own."

I totally get this. But imo we should not take that approach. The Moral High Ground beckons here and I think we should take the opportunity to occupy it. Forget about bleeding hearts, I know that isn't popular. Forget about my previous argument that you have to fight a global pandemic globally. I know that isn't popular either.

Here's the new argument. The MHG has great value. It accrues soft power. And what a great time it is for the UK to grab some. Brexit has supposedly given birth to something called Global Britain. We keep hearing this. Well, by leading on global vaccination, we can at a stroke turn it into something tangible and positive. Something to be proud of. We can set the tone for what sort of country we want to be - are going to be - outside the EU.

And the real kicker is it will on the whole appeal more to Remainers than Leavers. People like me will applaud and be reassured about what Brexit means. Most Leavers OTOH will be spitting feathers and wondering WTF is that all about. Why are we helping foreigners? The only ones who won't be pissed off will be the sort of liberal ones like you who clog up PB.

So, point is, it will be giving Remainers a Brexit Dividend, thus proving them (us) wrong to assume it would bring nothing but negatives apart from cheaper tampons. It will reduce the polarization in the country and at the same time benefit the Cons because it would attract more Remainers than the Leavers it would lose. Leavers being more sticky. A political masterstroke, in other words, which I commend to the House.
    Excellent.

Lets vaccinate everyone in Brazil, after we've done the UK.
    Or indeed start a little bit before. But I don't want to get bogged down in details or false precision. We don't know how things will develop on rollouts and new variants etc. My point is this is a golden chance to set a "feel tone" for post Brexit Global Britain that is more Remainy than Leavey. And that this will pay political dividends, both internationally and domestically. That's my one and only point. And it's a new point. I haven't made it before. Nobody has.

I don't want to revisit all that reductive and personalizing "Why do you want to save foreingners before Brits?" stuff again. No good can come of such a debate.
    Vaccinating people is more "remain" than "leave"? What are you on about?
    Ok. Let's say we end up taking a view (for whatever reason) that we want to divert some supplies overseas before we've dotted all the eyes and crossed all the tees here - that decision will be more popular with Remainers than Leavers (indisputably) and therefore will (potentially) be a great way to show that Global post Brexit Britain is not going to be the insular, xenophobic, narrowly nationalistic enterprise that many Remainers fear it will be.

Just offering that up as an angle, that's all.
    I actually think it's offensive to suggest that Leave voters don't want to help others. This government, replete with Leavers, has done a lot to ensure access to the vaccine for developing nations.
    It would be offensive and I'm not saying it. What I'm saying is exactly how I put it. And I agree with what you say here about the government thus far on vaccines.
    One thing I’d throw into the mix is that having helped fund Covax, we ought not to do anything unilateral outside of it and undermine it. That then leads me to ask, which are the Covid vaccines? I know Oxford is one, and I had assumed some of the overseas manufacturing capacity had been set up to provide for it in parallel without needing to directly dip into our own supply chain?
    The deal with SSI in India is intended to provide a more cost-effective supply for low income countries. It’s modelled on the HIV contracts
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is what he said:

Another German having a Cartman style meltdown. I can only put it down to lockdown syndrome.
    The Germans are not so much being bent out of shape as going the full corkscrew.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

It's really not the main point - but in fact I haven't had my jab and I don't expect to get it for quite some time.
    But you want to have yours but want to deny me, Gallowgate anyone else our ages ours?

Despite us being at serious risk of Long Covid and having sacrificed a lot over the past 12 months to keep others older than us alive?

And you don't find that hateful?
  • Options
    Boris's little jab: 'the programme will now accelerate' under the main headline is genius. No doubt Brussels, Berlin and Paris will have noticed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

If you havent then I am surprised but will admit I did you a disservice. I was sure you were in one of the early groups from what you have revealed here
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is what he said:

The Germans are not so much being bent out of shape as going the full corkscrew.

From my childhood . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxJ6RR40ZU
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

So very many of us in Europe are behind you on that point....far, far behind you.. :smiley:
  • Options

All care home residents, 90% of over 80s and 75% of 75-79 . . . that is a brilliant amount to end January with.
    Past few days I think they have been going around with automatic dart guns....if you look old, you get shot.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Golly, folk pumping themselves into a rage on a complete misreading of the facts, has this ever happened before?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I reckon February is going to seriously deliver on the upside. January has been a terrible month of death, but has laid the foundations for boxing up this Bastard Bug.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is what he said:

Time for one more Seychelles factoid: they've immunised approximately three times more people than Luxembourg, the EU's richest member state on a per capita GDP basis (and, by some measures, the wealthiest in the world.)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

If you havent then I am surprised but will admit I did you a disservice. I was sure you were in one of the early groups from what you have revealed here
    I was under the impression you were a young 80 year old from previous posts so assumed you should have been done by now
  • Options

/twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1356001563555336193?s=20

Somebody has been reading PB....
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Golly, folk pumping themselves into a rage on a complete misreading of the facts, has this ever happened before?
    I was going on facts revealed and already said if he hasnt given him a disservice. I was under the impression he was early 80's from other posts so assuming the jab was fair
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Sorry, I didn't know that bit. He's already HAD his jab???

Hahahahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Steady on there. I haven't. Not even in sight.

So this means it's only my "global shops for global people" leanings that are disgusting (pagan) and repulsive (the PT construct) rather than me.

I'm in the clear on a personal level and can hold my head up.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

OT
    The thing I can't understand about the whole vaccination fiasco is why Johnson and Gove aren't jumping up and down trying to make political capital about this. Their fanbois on PB on Friday evening were in ecstacy about it all. I wonder if there is something in the argument that AZ unofficially diverted some jabs into the UK pile. I remember in the news back in December/January it was announced that there would be a shortage of jabs anyway due to underproduction. This doesn't seem to have become apparent, so perhaps there may have been a little back scratching going on.....

They have made political capital out of it by doing exactly what they have done - saying nothing unless absolutely necessary. First and foremost this was an argument between AZN and the EU. By standing aloof until it directly threatened us - such as banning exports or invoking article 16 - and then simply registering concern, they have done for more for both their cause and the British position in all of this than if they had started shouting and making overt capital out of it.

It is far more adult a position than I ever expected from Johnson. I fear it won't last.
    Agree with you, Richard. Whether the EC do or do not have a case against AZ - and I do not share the certainty of some on here that they don't - the reaction of our government has so far been absolutely spot on. Mature. Peaceful. No British Bulldog. No warrior rhetoric. It is both the right response and it works.

And I wish to widen and develop this point. There is much sentiment along the lines of "We've done great on vaccines and should reap the full reward. Let's not even think about helping out others until we've jabbed every man jack of our own."

I totally get this. But imo we should not take that approach. The Moral High Ground beckons here and I think we should take the opportunity to occupy it. Forget about bleeding hearts, I know that isn't popular. Forget about my previous argument that you have to fight a global pandemic globally. I know that isn't popular either.

Here's the new argument. The MHG has great value. It accrues soft power. And what a great time it is for the UK to grab some. Brexit has supposedly given birth to something called Global Britain. We keep hearing this. Well, by leading on global vaccination, we can at a stroke turn it into something tangible and positive. Something to be proud of. We can set the tone for what sort of country we want to be - are going to be - outside the EU.

And the real kicker is it will on the whole appeal more to Remainers than Leavers. People like me will applaud and be reassured about what Brexit means. Most Leavers OTOH will be spitting feathers and wondering WTF is that all about. Why are we helping foreigners? The only ones who won't be pissed off will be the sort of liberal ones like you who clog up PB.

So, point is, it will be giving Remainers a Brexit Dividend, thus proving them (us) wrong to assume it would bring nothing but negatives apart from cheaper tampons. It will reduce the polarization in the country and at the same time benefit the Cons because it would attract more Remainers than the Leavers it would lose. Leavers being more sticky. A political masterstroke, in other words, which I commend to the House.
    Excellent.

Lets vaccinate everyone in Brazil, after we've done the UK.
    Or indeed start a little bit before. But I don't want to get bogged down in details or false precision. We don't know how things will develop on rollouts and new variants etc. My point is this is a golden chance to set a "feel tone" for post Brexit Global Britain that is more Remainy than Leavey. And that this will pay political dividends, both internationally and domestically. That's my one and only point. And it's a new point. I haven't made it before. Nobody has.

I don't want to revisit all that reductive and personalizing "Why do you want to save foreingners before Brits?" stuff again. No good can come of such a debate.
    Vaccinating people is more "remain" than "leave"? What are you on about?
    Ok. Let's say we end up taking a view (for whatever reason) that we want to divert some supplies overseas before we've dotted all the eyes and crossed all the tees here - that decision will be more popular with Remainers than Leavers (indisputably) and therefore will (potentially) be a great way to show that Global post Brexit Britain is not going to be the insular, xenophobic, narrowly nationalistic enterprise that many Remainers fear it will be.

Just offering that up as an angle, that's all.
    I actually think it's offensive to suggest that Leave voters don't want to help others. This government, replete with Leavers, has done a lot to ensure access to the vaccine for developing nations.
    It would be offensive and I'm not saying it. What I'm saying is exactly how I put it. And I agree with what you say here about the government thus far on vaccines.
    One thing I’d throw into the mix is that having helped fund Covax, we ought not to do anything unilateral outside of it and undermine it. That then leads me to ask, which are the Covid vaccines? I know Oxford is one, and I had assumed some of the overseas manufacturing capacity had been set up to provide for it in parallel without needing to directly dip into our own supply chain?
    The deal with SSI in India is intended to provide a more cost-effective supply for low income countries. It’s modelled on the HIV contracts
    The scale of the Indian sites is startling. Talk about soft power.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-india-vaccine/not-without-india-worlds-pharmacy-gears-up-for-vaccine-race-idUSL4N2IA1RM

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

It is seriously impressive. Indeed, dream land if you were thinking about it six months ago.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

But you want to have yours but want to deny me, Gallowgate anyone else our ages ours?

Despite us being at serious risk of Long Covid and having sacrificed a lot over the past 12 months to keep others older than us alive?

And you don't find that hateful?
    Hate is a seriously debased currency.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

I was under the impression you were a young 80 year old from previous posts so assumed you should have been done by now
    :smile: I assumed when he said that he was winding you and others up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    That is if 95% of them aren't snatched by the EU.
  • Options
    The obvious choice - one can only hope they are sensible enough to accept them and that the EC does not reduce their EU allocation as a result. Sad to say after this week neither would surprise.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

I was going on facts revealed and already said if he hasnt given him a disservice. I was under the impression he was early 80's from other posts so assuming the jab was fair
    'facts revealed'

Lol
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Leon said:

Leon said:

This is what he said:

From my childhood . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxJ6RR40ZU
    Brilliant show.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Well forgive me for taking it at face value...I had no reason to disbelieve him
  • Options

Past few days I think they have been going around with automatic dart guns....if you look old, you get shot.
    I think I mentioned that the GPs were getting £42 head money for over 80s up till 17th Jan?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    THIS THREAD HAS BEEN VACCINATED.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    edited January 2021
    https://twitter.com/SpinningHugo/status/1355996335418318848?s=20

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - AstraZeneca offered eight million more doses of its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union to try to defuse a row over supplies, but the bloc said that was too far short of what was originally promised, an EU official told Reuters.
  • Options
    Yes, he had his faults. But he wasn't 14/10 on the Gavin Williamson scale.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Well forgive me for taking it at face value...I had no reason to disbelieve him
    Well I also have no idea how old he is and it could have been correct, but it looked like a wind up to me.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/SpinningHugo/status/1355996335418318848?s=20

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - AstraZeneca offered eight million more doses of its COVID-19 vaccine to the European Union to try to defuse a row over supplies, but the bloc said that was too far short of what was originally promised, an EU official told Reuters.

She needs to work on her salesmanship to convince people all the pram throwing was effective. More effective, indeed, than if they'd just discussed it without the diplomatic mess ups.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Thank you. But I will not be raising this matter again until we've got our critical mass to substantially reopen done. I predict the question will have more salience then and my end of these exchanges will age quite well.
  • Options

I thought we left because more people voted differently to you?
    No 55%
    Yes 45%
  • Options

Less than a million over 75s still to do, out of nearly 6 million. There's about 6.7m in 65-75 tranche, so with 9m jabs done, we must be making good inroads into those too.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    The joys of the modern age? In the past a confrontation over most of the Chinese Indian Border was probably impossible or too hard to bother with?
  • Options
    Captain Tom spends his time reading his own book? Must be difficult to avoid spoilers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Course. Kicked around like an old tin can but I keep on opening up the laptop and hitting the keys in approximately the right order. I'm like Luke against the mighty Dragline.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

Fair enough. I withdraw my chortling. I still think your policy is both naive and actively dangerous. A half-vaxxed UK will end up back in the pandemic toilet very quick, with a ruined economy, and in a position to help no-one
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

One person was

No, I remember that exchange from yonks ago when I told you I was 85. It was a joke. Didn't realize you'd believed me and filed it away. My bad.

But like I say, I don't do arguments based on personal factors so although it might change your view of things it makes no odds to me.

The river of debate flows and we move on.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:
    The joys of the modern age? In the past a confrontation over most of the Chinese Indian Border was probably impossible or too hard to bother with?
    Read up on the Italian Front in WWI

The bodies are still coming out of the glaciers....
  • Options
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

Floater said:
    Read up on the Italian Front in WWI

The bodies are still coming out of the glaciers....
    That's definitely still the modern age. But sounds grim.
This discussion has been closed.