Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The numbers continue to look more positive and I joined the growing band of the vaccinated – politic

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Prioritising vaccinations for key workers such as teachers and police over the next few weeks would inevitably lead to more deaths among older people, government vaccination advisers have warned.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/30/older-groups-must-remain-top-priority-for-vaccines-warn-government-advisers
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

I have a feeling if the UK government had done something similar the Guardian wouldn't be calling it a "blunder"....

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1355627347576315909?s=20

"Bunder" is hardly complimentary.
    No, but it also fails to describe just how bad it was. They accidentally erected a border between NI and RoI, without even consulting Ireland!
    The Observer can't do "Fuck up". It's a broadsheet.
    Exactly or it should have used it for our overall Covid performance
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

RobD said:

gealbhan said:

RobD said:

BBC News - EU 'fiasco' on N Ireland heaps pressure on Commission

"It's like watching a car crash in slow motion," one irate EU diplomat told me. "President von der Leyen is a medical doctor. She wanted to take over the mass purchase of vaccines for all the EU - as a high-profile exercise. Normally health issues are dealt with nationally. This hasn't been a great advertisement for handing over powers to Brussels. I think that's the lesson member states will take away from this."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55872763

It's just amazing/bonkers that Ireland wasn't involved, or even told, of the upcoming decision.
    Yes. But very much yesterday’s news now. Now it’s the UK under pressure and it’s only going to get worse.

“The World Health Organization has urged the UK to pause its vaccination programme after vulnerable groups have received their jabs to help ensure the global rollout of doses is fair.
    the WHO said countries should be aiming for 2bn doses to be “fairly distributed” around the world by the end of 2021.
    A WHO spokeswoman, Margaret Harris, said she wanted to appeal to people in the UK, telling them: “You can wait” because ensuring equitable global distribution is “clearly morally the right thing to do”.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/who-urges-britain-to-pause-covid-jabs-after-treating-vulnerable

WHO can say COVID vaccine should be a global business, but it seems to be getting regionalised.
    They should direct their ire at the EU. The UK has done far more proportionally speaking.
    You mean when we go into the detail of the rights and wrongs of it? Whilst we are there we may even learn Marie Antoinette never actually said let them eat cake.

But the eyes will be on those whose store house has a mountain of grain, whilst everyone else is starving. That’s only natural and to be expected?
    Gosh you do know there is a difference between having a surplus and not enough....the uk does not have enough vaccine , we aren't hoarding it dipshit
    That’s rather rude. Considering I totally agree with you what the truth is. And considering you are the one who completely missed an obvious point.

We are no more hoarding than Marie Antoinette said let them eat cake.

So just to confirm you are not dip**** explain to everyone what is the important point I am trying to get you to realise.

Your meaning was obvious and you have always been one of the whiners who never gave britain credit for our help with covax but instead moaned we aren't doing enough to help rich europeans who can afford to help themselves but instead prefer to try and cheapskate....take your scrofulous self to coventry
    You just have your head up high because you know what the truth is. Rather ignorant to how important perception actually is.

That’s the point I’m making. And it’s true isn’t it?

Because you are laying into me, who agrees with you. But look at what the WHO are saying who neither of us agree with.

We can’t just put our chin in the air, we have to manage perceptions. And that means, as I have been saying for days, doing something. I’m not saying it has to be a lot. But it has to be something.

The reply’s I get is**** *** to Coventry. You want to give all our good work away like Francis of Assisi. You have no intention of praising the U.K. government.

I’m just saying we need to do something to manage this, what could be damaging, long lasting perception.
    I have not said a bad word about the uk government in regard to vaccines. Others are reading your post the same way as I am as a "We should send some of our vaccines to europe"
    First of all you actually have to agree there is a perception problem, not in our interest just to ignore. And let fester and grow. And become a damaging myth and misconception. That’s the main concern to me at moment, that you and these others on here just don’t get there is a problem.

And then we can probably agree on what we can do about it. Emergency summits. Agreements headed “ The world is watching us, and everyone knows it is only through international collaboration that we will beat this pandemic.” A few win win agreements, where it looks like we are in fact sending some of our jabs to EU,

that’s actually the headline U.K. would want so tackle perceptions,

in fact it’s further down the line, or in exchange for something now for a stake of future gear that has potential to be even better, so we are actually just balancing our options and getting our fingers in future pies

That the sort of thing I think we really need to do, but seem a million miles away, with everyone convinced it’s politically impossible to do,

but I think the voters would go for it.
    No I don't agree the uk and the us have done more for covid vaccine production and distribution world wide than any other two countries in the world....the fact people like you think we havent done enough is irrelevant....the who failed badly in this pandemic from early days and no one credits anything they say....go shout at your wonderful eu who have done the least
    I pray daily, it works, the decisions now made by UK government are the right ones, and we can get on with new normal, not jabbing away without hoped for results. If you look closely at the behaviours at Downing Street press briefings, there is the same fear there I have.

One argument would be, overtime it’s likely to become clear one jab is not like another jab, quality of what you are using will enter the equation alongside speed, and new way of looking at it backdated to the start. So not only would I go on record saying it’s good we are so advanced in getting jabbed in U.K., I would like to go on record saying I will not with hindsight criticise Johnson and the scientists standing with him today, for making the decision to proceed if it doesn’t turn out so well. I don’t see it as a mistake.

However. Look at what the WHO spokeswoman is saying. Considering our contributions to COVAX how come they going further still? So I still claim how blessed we are means we do have to be aware we own a perception thing to manage as well, before it becomes negative and damaging to the cooperation and goodwill we will always need going forward. We need to keep jabbing with effective things for years to come.

Anyway, I have clearly laid out what I think, and weary of being abused by reactionary more partisan posters for explaining it. Let’s see how it plays out.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,728
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Exciting stuff. From afar it all seems to have quieted down - not sure how thhe area moves forward without an official attempt to settle the question, which presumably is still a no no.
    There is a Catalonian regional election in February which will likely lead to another nationalist majority on that poll, PM Sanchez will likely refuse a legal independence referendum as Boris will in May, though perhaps a little less aggressively than Rajoy did in 2017.
    Quite, but how to break this cycle?
    I hadn't realised that preservation of Catalan Historic Rights are (were?) part of the Treaty of Utrecht.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224

alex_ said:

Warwick eggheads say even best case scenario with vaccinations, lockdown until end of May and then back to last September restrictions for the rest of the year.....

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1355634502241017856?s=20

They're guesstimating like the rest of us, of course, but that's probably not a million miles away from the way things will pan out. Personally I think that, even without a major vaccine resistance setback, we're going to be stuck with some degree of mask use and social distancing until Spring of next year.

That said, if we can get the country back into something approximating to Tier 2, so that society is basically functional again except for certain larger gatherings, then I think most people can learn to live with that for a while.
    Doesn't make sense, does it? "Best case scenario with vaccinations lead to ongoing restrictions for rest of the year? Best case is that vaccinations are robust and effective, and there is no particular need for significant restrictions at all.
    It may not be that simple. Consider:

1. Will take quite a long time to get everybody jabbed. Until we get close to the completion of the programme there will be dark warnings that younger patients, who aren't critically ill but still sick enough to need admitting, will start clogging the hospitals again. I also expect the Government and its advisers will emphasise reducing cases of Long Covid, and the need to give medical staff a bit of a break from the madness and start making progress on clearing huge treatment backlogs
    2. Vaccinations may slow down anyway after the end of phase 1, when the Government may come under more international pressure to slow down and help others
    3. The possibility of new variants making life difficult (and the desire to keep some restrictions in place as a consequence, to suppress any new nasties and give test and trace a chance to shut them down)
    4. Vaccines are not 100% effective, some silly buggers will refuse them and a small section of the population can't take them. This plus the cumulative threat of Winter Covid and Winter Flu will encourage Government to keep some suppression measures in force all through next Winter. I've thought that likely for a while (and there'll probably be a new round of updated Covid jabs to be delivered, for the more vulnerable half of the population at least, as well come the Autumn)

I'll be delighted to be proven wrong - that we can get away with torching the Coronavirus Act and going back to something resembling normality by August or September - but I do think we're going to be lumbered with some restrictions for quite a long time. It's going to be a little like what Sweden has tried to do, with a lighter touch system that people can live with for a while, but that ultimately failed without vaccines. With the vaccines it should become possible.
    I think we can get to Tier 1 equivalent restrictions in May then hopefully largely - but probably not entirely - back to normal in Sept. Probably Spring 2022 before all masks can be thrown away and 50,000 crowds at the football.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

alex_ said:

Warwick eggheads say even best case scenario with vaccinations, lockdown until end of May and then back to last September restrictions for the rest of the year.....

They're guesstimating like the rest of us, of course, but that's probably not a million miles away from the way things will pan out. Personally I think that, even without a major vaccine resistance setback, we're going to be stuck with some degree of mask use and social distancing until Spring of next year.

That said, if we can get the country back into something approximating to Tier 2, so that society is basically functional again except for certain larger gatherings, then I think most people can learn to live with that for a while.
    Doesn't make sense, does it? "Best case scenario with vaccinations lead to ongoing restrictions for rest of the year? Best case is that vaccinations are robust and effective, and there is no particular need for significant restrictions at all.
    It may not be that simple. Consider:

1. Will take quite a long time to get everybody jabbed. Until we get close to the completion of the programme there will be dark warnings that younger patients, who aren't critically ill but still sick enough to need admitting, will start clogging the hospitals again. I also expect the Government and its advisers will emphasise reducing cases of Long Covid, and the need to give medical staff a bit of a break from the madness and start making progress on clearing huge treatment backlogs
    2. Vaccinations may slow down anyway after the end of phase 1, when the Government may come under more international pressure to slow down and help others
    3. The possibility of new variants making life difficult (and the desire to keep some restrictions in place as a consequence, to suppress any new nasties and give test and trace a chance to shut them down)
    4. Vaccines are not 100% effective, some silly buggers will refuse them and a small section of the population can't take them. This plus the cumulative threat of Winter Covid and Winter Flu will encourage Government to keep some suppression measures in force all through next Winter. I've thought that likely for a while (and there'll probably be a new round of updated Covid jabs to be delivered, for the more vulnerable half of the population at least, as well come the Autumn)

I'll be delighted to be proven wrong - that we can get away with torching the Coronavirus Act and going back to something resembling normality by August or September - but I do think we're going to be lumbered with some restrictions for quite a long time. It's going to be a little like what Sweden has tried to do, with a lighter touch system that people can live with for a while, but that ultimately failed without vaccines. With the vaccines it should become possible.
    2) is never happening. No reason for the Government to slow things down, and by that stage everyone will have more than they can use anyway.

3) is a possibility, but only a possibility, and the more people are vaccinated, the lower the likelihood of new variants.

1) and 4) are somewhat self contradictory as the vaccine is likely more effective in younger patients. Also I've not seen anything to suggest that the usual suspects (the immunocompromised) can't have the vaccine, so I think the proportion who can't take it is pretty minimal. Refusers are a potential issue, but as long as it stays at or around 10% we should be fine. And the second round of vaccines targeting the new variants are already in development.

Overall I'm optimistic. More or less back to normal around September.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

RobD said:

gealbhan said:

RobD said:

"It's like watching a car crash in slow motion," one irate EU diplomat told me. "President von der Leyen is a medical doctor. She wanted to take over the mass purchase of vaccines for all the EU - as a high-profile exercise. Normally health issues are dealt with nationally. This hasn't been a great advertisement for handing over powers to Brussels. I think that's the lesson member states will take away from this."

It's just amazing/bonkers that Ireland wasn't involved, or even told, of the upcoming decision.
    Yes. But very much yesterday’s news now. Now it’s the UK under pressure and it’s only going to get worse.

“The World Health Organization has urged the UK to pause its vaccination programme after vulnerable groups have received their jabs to help ensure the global rollout of doses is fair.
    the WHO said countries should be aiming for 2bn doses to be “fairly distributed” around the world by the end of 2021.
    A WHO spokeswoman, Margaret Harris, said she wanted to appeal to people in the UK, telling them: “You can wait” because ensuring equitable global distribution is “clearly morally the right thing to do”.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/who-urges-britain-to-pause-covid-jabs-after-treating-vulnerable

WHO can say COVID vaccine should be a global business, but it seems to be getting regionalised.
    They should direct their ire at the EU. The UK has done far more proportionally speaking.
    You mean when we go into the detail of the rights and wrongs of it? Whilst we are there we may even learn Marie Antoinette never actually said let them eat cake.

But the eyes will be on those whose store house has a mountain of grain, whilst everyone else is starving. That’s only natural and to be expected?
    Gosh you do know there is a difference between having a surplus and not enough....the uk does not have enough vaccine , we aren't hoarding it dipshit
    That’s rather rude. Considering I totally agree with you what the truth is. And considering you are the one who completely missed an obvious point.

So just to confirm you are not dip**** explain to everyone what is the important point I am trying to get you to realise.

Your meaning was obvious and you have always been one of the whiners who never gave britain credit for our help with covax but instead moaned we aren't doing enough to help rich europeans who can afford to help themselves but instead prefer to try and cheapskate....take your scrofulous self to coventry
    You just have your head up high because you know what the truth is. Rather ignorant to how important perception actually is.

Because you are laying into me, who agrees with you. But look at what the WHO are saying who neither of us agree with.

We can’t just put our chin in the air, we have to manage perceptions. And that means, as I have been saying for days, doing something. I’m not saying it has to be a lot. But it has to be something.

The reply’s I get is**** *** to Coventry. You want to give all our good work away like Francis of Assisi. You have no intention of praising the U.K. government.

I’m just saying we need to do something to manage this, what could be damaging, long lasting perception.
    I have not said a bad word about the uk government in regard to vaccines. Others are reading your post the same way as I am as a "We should send some of our vaccines to europe"
    First of all you actually have to agree there is a perception problem, not in our interest just to ignore. And let fester and grow. And become a damaging myth and misconception. That’s the main concern to me at moment, that you and these others on here just don’t get there is a problem.

And then we can probably agree on what we can do about it. Emergency summits. Agreements headed “ The world is watching us, and everyone knows it is only through international collaboration that we will beat this pandemic.” A few win win agreements, where it looks like we are in fact sending some of our jabs to EU,

in fact it’s further down the line, or in exchange for something now for a stake of future gear that has potential to be even better, so we are actually just balancing our options and getting our fingers in future pies

That the sort of thing I think we really need to do, but seem a million miles away, with everyone convinced it’s politically impossible to do,

No I don't agree the uk and the us have done more for covid vaccine production and distribution world wide than any other two countries in the world....the fact people like you think we havent done enough is irrelevant....the who failed badly in this pandemic from early days and no one credits anything they say....go shout at your wonderful eu who have done the least
    I pray daily, it works, the decisions now made by UK government are the right ones, and we can get on with new normal, not jabbing away without hoped for results. If you look closely at the behaviours at Downing Street press briefings, there is the same fear there I have.

One argument would be, overtime it’s likely to become clear one jab is not like another jab, quality of what you are using will enter the equation alongside speed, and new way of looking at it backdated to the start. So not only would I go on record saying it’s good we are so advanced in getting jabbed in U.K., I would like to go on record saying I will not with hindsight criticise Johnson and the scientists standing with him today, for making the decision to proceed if it doesn’t turn out so well. I don’t see it as a mistake.

However. Look at what the WHO spokeswoman is saying. Considering our contributions to COVAX how come they going further still? So I still claim how blessed we are means we do have to be aware we own a perception thing to manage as well, before it becomes negative and damaging to the cooperation and goodwill we will always need going forward. We need to keep jabbing with effective things for years to come.

Anyway, I have clearly laid out what I think, and weary of being abused by reactionary more partisan posters for explaining it. Let’s see how it plays out.
    I am partisan yes....for the people of britain

I am reactionary yes when I dont believe our government is performing its main function which is to protect the people of this country

Once the people of this country are protected then we help others, not a second before that. When we help others we help those that can't help themselves not those who could but what to cheapskate it
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Prioritising vaccinations for key workers such as teachers and police over the next few weeks would inevitably lead to more deaths among older people, government vaccination advisers have warned.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/30/older-groups-must-remain-top-priority-for-vaccines-warn-government-advisers

Back to "Labour would kill your granny to keep unions sweet"
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    dixiedean said:

Does anyone know how to inform whoever needs to know that one is a key worker eligible for Group 2 vaccination?
    My partner, as a self employed counsellor and psycotherapist, has recently been added to this group.
    All we have heard is please dont conract us, we will be in touch.
    But we aren't sure anyone other than HMRC knows of her occupation. Her GP certainly won't.

I would write to the GP with proof and a request to be scheduled. I would also email with an image of the proof.

They have the discretion to add anyone, or vaccinate if they deem it expedient.

It may take time but it should grind through.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Just in football, eight of the twenty Premier League teams and Lord alone knows how many more in the lower tiers and in Scotland have gambling sponsorship. One more headache to deal with - alongside the likelihood that full stadiums probably won't be allowed again until some point in 2022.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Floater said:
    The officials in the EU are still referring to it as a war. Jesus.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Floater said:
    We know it isn't over they only backed down over article 16....the export control potential is still in place and they have delegated it to nations....the cynic suggests because they know some nation will trigger and they can appear to have clean hands
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Talk of everyone vaccinated by the autumn. The virus will die out with herd immunity if that happens. Even if a few cases occur, if everyone's vaccinated the R number will be tiny. R < 1 and we don't have a reason for major restrictions.

Probably just keep facemasks and not much if anything else.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,456
    My nephew is sending me texts about how “people are going to take down Wall Street”. Should I be worried?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

My nephew is sending me texts about how “people are going to take down Wall Street”. Should I be worried?

Only that he might be asking you for more clothes for his next birthday if he's not careful.
  • Options

Even Drakeford, of all people , rejects Starmer's and labour's policy saying Wales will only comply with the JCVI
  • Options
    Songs of United (by the EU Commission) Ireland

BOYS FROM THE COUNTY HELL
    Shane MacGowan

On the first day of March it was raining
    It was raining worse than anything that I have ever seen
    I drank ten pints of beer and I cursed all the people there
    I wish that all this rain would stop falling down on me

And it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink
    And mother wake me early in the morning

At the time I was working for a landlord
    And he was the meanest bastard that you have ever seen
    And to lose a single penny would grieve him awful sore
    And he was a miserable bollocks and a bitch's bastard's whore

I recall that we took care of him one Sunday
    We got him out the back and we broke his fucking balls
    And maybe that was dreaming and maybe that was real
    But all I know is I left the place without a penny or fuck-all

But now I've the most charming of verandahs
    I sit and watch the junkies the drunks the pimps the whores
    Five green bottles sitting on the floor
    I wish to Christ I wish to Christ
    That I had fifteen more

The boys and me are drunk and looking for you
    We'll eat your frigging entrails and we won't give a damn
    Me daddy was a blue shirt and my mother a madam
    And my brother earned his medals at My-Lai in Vietnam

And it's lend me ten pounds and I'll buy you a drink

On the first day of March it is raining
    It is raining worse than anything that I have ever seen
    Stay on the other side of the road
    'Cause you can never tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psTqudN7t1M

• Options
    AlwaysSingingAlwaysSinging Posts: 464
    edited January 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Link

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/must-not-pin-hopes-covid-vaccines-alone/
    Hmm, this doesn't smell right to me. I need to read that paper. If anyone finds a link, please let me know.

--AS
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    IanB2 said:

A bunch of stupid people may lose a lot of money.

Which set of stupid people that will be is not known yet.

Essentially a couple of hedge funds might get into difficulties, but don't worry.

Goldman Sucks, Douche Bank, Total Shit Bank, Royal Bank of Shit, Moron Stanley, JP Moron etc etc will still be there
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,425
    edited January 2021

alex_ said:

Talk of everyone vaccinated by the autumn. The virus will die out with herd immunity if that happens. Even if a few cases occur, if everyone's vaccinated the R number will be tiny. R < 1 and we don't have a reason for major restrictions.

Given how few people are capable of wearing facemasks properly or consistently then, if it's not safe to go out without wearing a facemask, it's not safe to go out.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Only IF he knows your bank-card PIN number.
  • Options
    Can I point out that with about ten million fewer people with acquired immunity, zero vaccination and minimal mask wearing daily infections fell to below a thousand per day last June.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Link

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/must-not-pin-hopes-covid-vaccines-alone/
    Hmm, this doesn't smell right to me. I need to read that paper. If anyone finds a link, please let me know.

--AS
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896v2.full.pdf
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,565

------

Couldn't agree more.
    Thank you. Your judgement is impeccable.
    I hate to argue, but

________ and furthermore __

So there.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

A Donald Trump supporter who wrote about attacking high-profile Democrats and the offices of Twitter and Facebook has been charged with stockpiling weapons and homemade explosives.

Officials found dozens of firearms, thousands of rounds of ammunition, pipe bombs and manuals like The Anarchist Cookbook and US Army Improvised Munitions Handbook when they raided the home and business of Ian Rogers in California's Napa wine country earlier this month.

The 44-year-old has been charged with the unlawful possession of unregistered destructive devices.

Among the items seized by investigators was a mock credit card emblazoned with the slogan White Privilege, Trumps Everything. It bore the number 0045 - in honour, according to the FBI, of Donald Trump, the 45th president.

Rogers also had a car bumper sticker celebrating the anti-government militia the Three Percenters. The group's name refers to the belief that only 3% of American colonists fought against the British during the American Revolution.

The charges were revealed as the US Department of Homeland Security issued a warning that anger "fuelled by false narratives" could lead to some within the country to launch attacks in the coming weeks. The warning system is usually reserved for alerts to threats of terror attacks.

In court documents, the FBI alleges text messages found on Rogers' phone revealed that he believed Trump had won the 2020 election. He expressed anger towards the social media companies who had suspended the president's accounts.

He wrote: "We can attack Twitter and the Democrats easy right now."

And in another message, he said: "I want to blow up a democrat building bad. The democrats need to pay."

In other texts he referred to the "sac office" believed to be that of California Governor Gavin Newsom, and the "bird and face offices" referring to the headquarters of Twitter and Facebook.

He also wrote: "Let's see what happens, if nothing, I'm going to war" - adding: "I hope 45 goes to war, if he doesn't I will."

Rogers, who runs a car repair business called British Auto Repair, told investigators he made the pipe bombs for "entertainment purposes only".

Bomb technicians who examined the five improvised explosive devices Rogers had constructed concluded they were fully operational and could cause great bodily harm.

https://news.sky.com/story/pro-trump-supporter-charged-with-stockpiling-explosives-wanted-to-attack-democrats-12201839

I’m guessing the name of his business has more to do with the makes of (possibly vintage) cars he specialises in repairing than his nationality?
    Oui.

British Auto Repair of the Napa Valley Incorporated opened in Napa, California in August of 2005. We specialize in repairing British vehicles, mainly Land Rover and Jaguar. Our company is owned and operated by Ian Rogers, local wine country native, along with our trusted employee Michael Yokoi.

https://britishautorepair.net/about-us/
    There's lots of business in repairing such vehicles...
  • Options

alex_ said:

Plus restrict international travel until the rest of the world is widely vaccinated.
  • Options

Even Drakeford, of all people , rejects Starmer's and labour's policy saying Wales will only comply with the JCVI
    Big G, are you concerned about Drakeford's 22 Feb children back at school proposal? Isn't it too early? Better in March to really get the infection level down??
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Is that headline intended to assuage or inflame the readership?
    If it's true, it's a good PR step by the government.
    Yes, and made to look even better than it is (since helping others when we are able to seems like it was always on the cards) because of the tantrums of the last week. No wonder for once the No.10 press operation was able to be professional.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

How is @rcs1000 's GME position doing?

It's very exciting...

If GME is above $395 at close on 19 February then I will have lost money. If it is below, I make it.
    The rational man would say you are on to a sure thing there. But there a part of ny brain that's saying "MOOOOOOON".
  • Options

Can I point out that with about ten million fewer people with acquired immunity, zero vaccination and minimal mask wearing daily infections fell to below a thousand per day last June.

Good point. Hopefully it goes much lower this time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Only that he might be asking you for more clothes for his next birthday if he's not careful.
    He knows nothing about investment. And is a gambler like his father.

I told him to make sure he finds a greater mug to take his seat on the bus before the last stop. What more can you do?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

I think I have a way out of this diplomatic spat for the EU and UK.

Clearly the EU needs many millions more vaccines in the near term, however there is pressure on the UK to start supplying it's spare doses from April onwards to developing nations and let the EU fend for itself because it's rich and can afford to build output.

There's a very good chance that from April we won't need ~20m Pfizer doses or ~50m AZ doses. That would be an invaluable boost to the European vaccination drive. We're going to be covered by supplies from Novavax and Moderna and long term we'll have J&J (up to 52m) + Valneva (60m) available for mutations.

The way out of this is to offer the EU our spare capacity on the basis that it funds COVAX to the same level we have. Our funding is equivalent of €4.5bn scaled to the EU vs ~€750m it has currently pledged via EU and national governments. The EU won't have anywhere it can get 70m vaccine doses from in the short term from April onwards and it will make a big difference to them and making our gift to them contingent on them properly funding COVAX makes a much, much bigger difference to developing nations than 70m doses ever could as it could be used to purchase 1.5bn additional doses of AZ vaccine or 1bn additional Novavax doses both of which are in the CEPI programme.

This way the EU gets its doses, it gets its "win" against the UK by getting UK vaccine supply it covets and the developing world gets funding for 1-1.5bn additional doses it doesn't currently have.

Anyone see any downsides?

Sorry - This will sound selfish but until people here have been vaccinated - and I don't just mean those in groups 1 - 4 - and our economy reopened, we should not be giving vaccines away. It's not just the clinically vulnerable who are suffering but also those whose jobs and businesses and personal/social lives are on the line or on hold because of a shuttered society and economy. Like my children and the children of many others.

There is no good reason why we should prolong the agony for them. Once we've done our population (all of it) then by all means we can - and should - share - with the developed world etc. But not until then.
    I agree absolutely - but perhaps not once we've 'done' everyone, but once we have stock for everyone. There will be time when we've got sufficient stock for all, but we're working our way through - there's no point in holding it back then.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I told him to make sure he finds a greater mug to take his seat on the bus before the last stop. What more can you do?
    Not much. Hopefully he's sensible about it.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Link

--AS
    Thank you very much.

--AS
  • Options

Big G, are you concerned about Drakeford's 22 Feb children back at school proposal? Isn't it too early? Better in March to really get the infection level down??
    Yes it seems unwise, though to be fair my two younger grandchildren are going to school as both their parents are key workers

I expect he will defer into March
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Exciting stuff. From afar it all seems to have quieted down - not sure how thhe area moves forward without an official attempt to settle the question, which presumably is still a no no.
    There is a Catalonian regional election in February which will likely lead to another nationalist majority on that poll, PM Sanchez will likely refuse a legal independence referendum as Boris will in May, though perhaps a little less aggressively than Rajoy did in 2017.
    Quite, but how to break this cycle?
    I hadn't realised that preservation of Catalan Historic Rights are (were?) part of the Treaty of Utrecht.
    I don't follow.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

Pagan2 said:

gealbhan said:

RobD said:

gealbhan said:

RobD said:

Look at what the WHO spokeswoman is saying. Considering our contributions to COVAX how come they going further still?

It is common for those who want donations to press already generous donors harder. That is an easier way to get further funds than pressing the less generous. You may have experienced this in your own life with various charities.
  • Options
    UK flag is not in the centre, 0 stars.

I don't recognise the one third from left though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Its like a game of pass the parcel. Everyone keeps getting prizes.

Except to make it more exciting the final prize is a bomb waiting to go off and you don't know when it will go off.
  • Options
    Pitcairn Islands doing a lot of heavy lifting here. I assume it'll be our new global trade hub?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,663
    Sugary cereals are great.

Why would you want to eat the dry livestock feed that passes for most "health" cereals these days, and dries your mouth out of all moisture?

May as well eat sawdust and smile.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

How is @rcs1000 's GME position doing?

It's very exciting...

If GME is above $395 at close on 19 February then I will have lost money. If it is below, I make it.
    The rational man would say you are on to a sure thing there. But there a part of ny brain that's saying "MOOOOOOON".
    It’s closed to short selling now, which of course is pushing the price higher as more and more people like my hapless nephew jump on the train
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

IanB2 said:

A bunch of stupid people may lose a lot of money.

Which set of stupid people that will be is not known yet.

Essentially a couple of hedge funds might get into difficulties, but don't worry.

Goldman Sucks, Douche Bank, Total Shit Bank, Royal Bank of Shit, Moron Stanley, JP Moron etc etc will still be there
    Not to mention that whilst a few in Congress might be content to speak up for “the small investor” in a battle of gamblers and speculators, you can bet that they will come down hard if it starts spilling over into big institutional investors and pension funds, or any sort of destabilisation of the financial system.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pitcairn Islands doing a lot of heavy lifting here. I assume it'll be our new global trade hub?
    A closer eye on the locals wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    MattW said:

dixiedean said:

Does anyone know how to inform whoever needs to know that one is a key worker eligible for Group 2 vaccination?
    My partner, as a self employed counsellor and psycotherapist, has recently been added to this group.
    All we have heard is please dont conract us, we will be in touch.
    But we aren't sure anyone other than HMRC knows of her occupation. Her GP certainly won't.

I would write to the GP with proof and a request to be scheduled. I would also email with an image of the proof.

They have the discretion to add anyone, or vaccinate if they deem it expedient.

It may take time but it should grind through.
    Thanks for that. We only found out she was added last weekend. Being 49, she wasn't previously in any group, so maybe we got a bit over excited. Have e-mailed but heard nothing yet. Patience I guess.
  • Options

True. But this time we need the elimination to be permanent.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Assuming the US rejoins it will save a direct UK US deal
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Brunei, isn't it? (I didn't check)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Brunei
  • Options
    And Truss? Despite the infamous cheese comment, magnificent job.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Why would you want to eat the dry livestock feed that passes for most "health" cereals these days, and dries your mouth out of all moisture?

Can one still buy "would you like some puffed rice with your sugar" Ricicles, or have those gone the way of the dodo?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

FPT:

Omnium said:

Kwarteng on R4 doing very well. I don't see him as a future leader, but this sort of good performance isn't so common.

I used to know him fairly well many years ago, and I've dealt with Johnson briefly professionally. I'd say Kwasi is much more Prime Ministerial material than Boris, but would have less of an appeal to the Red Wall types.

Personal anecdote - Kwasi and I last met in the British Library in late '09 or early '10. Back then, it still looked more than likely that Cameron would get an overall majority. I said they would. He demurred. History has spoken and he was right.
    Kwasi is an old friend of mine from college, and we were both fund managers in the Mayfair / St James's part of London for a decade.

He's a very bright and capable guy. And I hope he ascends to the very highest office in the land.
    Did you eat with him at the Pitt Club above the Pizza Express in Cambridge? I visited him there once and that was one of my favourite evenings in his company.
  • Options
    I think Bojo may have just been outflagged.
  • Options

You're supposed to put milk on it.
  • Options
    It could work. We've always been distant from the centre in Europe. In this group, there is no centre. They're all arranged round a whacking great ocean, so everyone's equally peripheral :smile:
  • Options

Why would you want to eat frosties? There's more nutrition in cardboard.
  • Options

It could work. We've always been distant from the centre in Europe. In this group, there is no centre. They're all arranged round a whacking great ocean, so everyone's equally peripheral :smile:
    It's also a bit eccentric that the UK should join a pacific trade area. Fully in character.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Not much. Hopefully he's sensible about it.
    I got a text back saying it was good advice. Which is as good as gets. Of course, recognising good advice is often easier than taking it,
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Mail claims EU wanted to block 3.5million Pfizer doses from coming to the UK:

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1355648226939068420?s=20
  • Options

That requires massive restrictions on international travel for several years.

Alternatively we allow an acceptable death rate as we do with flu (it will partially be instead of flu deaths).
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's also a bit eccentric that the UK should join a pacific trade area. Fully in character.
    Well, then again, as others have already pointed out, the Pitcairn Islands have finally come in handy for something.
  • Options

They’re probably not desperate for mackerel, crab and herring, then.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think deep in our hearts we've always felt more like a pacifican nation, it's why we worked so hard to spread the Empire so widely when those boring contiguous empires stayed focus on closer to home.
  • Options
  • Options

Mail claims EU wanted to block 3.5million Pfizer doses from coming to the UK:

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1355648226939068420?s=20

I wonder what might have given them leeway to make that claim, even if it is felt to be exagerrated.

This is what happens when you behave badly, EU, it gives cover to all claims people might want to make.

And a double victory, twice what the People were reporting with only a single victory.
  • Options

Alternatively we allow an acceptable death rate as we do with flu (it will partially be instead of flu deaths).
    Yes reasonable comment. I should have said 'controlled on an ongoing basis at a reasonable level' ie just like flu as you describe.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

This is ten times as deadly as flu and has a higher R.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Any sign the application will be accepted?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

"What do you mean the Pitcairn Islands don't count?"
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited January 2021

RobD said:

Well, then again, as others have already pointed out, the Pitcairn Islands have finally come in handy for something.
    It’s just putting the old gang back together. Might even justify a new Royal yacht as well.

Also - a cunning backdoor way to do a trade deal with China, without explicitly confronting all the PR issues involved in doing a trade deal with China...
  • Options
    Politico.com - Hillary Clinton calls on Rep. Tim Ryan to run for Ohio Senate seat
    Democrats are eyeing flipping Sen. Rob Portman’s seat in 2022.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/30/hillary-clinton-tim-ryan-senate-463980

Methinks that headlining Hillary in this story was done for clickbait. Nevertheless, decision of Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) opens up a clear opportunity (though hardly a certainty) for a Democrat to win this seat in 2022., in a state that's been trending Republican during the past decade, and that Biden lost big-time in 2020.

For one thing, the Buckeye's other US Senator, Sherrod Brown, is a Democrat. And for another, there's the possibility Republican could nominate a hard-core pro-Trump right-winger, thus alienating swing voters AND some moderate GOPers. Note that Rob Portman, a former Buckeye State governor, is a moderate well-respected in DC and esp in OH, he would most likely be elected pretty easily IF he ran again.

That's a possibility. What's definite is that Ohio will lose -1 seat in US House as per 2020 census. Which increases likelihood of incumbent House members, Ds and Rs, deciding to run for US Senate as a result of their current districts being substantially altered if not eliminated.

Earlier in the week US Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) a stormy, fiery Putinist petrel who is ranking GOP member of House Judiciary Comm. announced he is NOT gonna run for Portman's seat. Will take a while for the Republican field to settle.

On the Democratic side, Tim Ryan, a moderate who challenged Nancy Pelosi, would appear - at least on paper - to be the best prospect for picking up this important Senate seat. Of course they are ALL important, but in the context of national politics, Ohio's is more equal than most.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

They’re probably not desperate for mackerel, crab and herring, then.
    How do you know? :smile:

Anyway, with Australia, New Zealand and Chile already in, it's an ideal opportunity to compensate for that crushing extra £1.50 on a bottle of French plonk.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

Why would you want to eat frosties? There's more nutrition in cardboard.
    Indeed. Bacon and egg all the way.
  • Options
    You object to the Union Jack getting triple billing?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,999
    edited January 2021
    Interesting that the US has vaccinated a lower percentage of people than the UK in general, but a higher percentage have received both doses there.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
  • Options
    Alistair said:

And the flu vaccination program is much smaller than what the covid vaccination will be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

I think the photograph indicates informal soundings have been very positive. It's going to look pretty silly otherwise.

The interesting thing will be if America joins - it would be good to have a limited trade deal with them, without it being a comprehensive one where they get us in a headlock. A good way of doing it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

I think the photograph indicates informal soundings have been very positive. It's going to look pretty silly otherwise.

The interesting thing will be if America joins - it would be good to have a limited trade deal with them, without it being a comprehensive one where they get us in a headlock. A good way of doing it.
    Yep, and it has the added benefit of being a club that isn't interested in political integration.
  • Options
    Marseille's match at home to Rennes in France's Ligue 1 was postponed after violent scenes at their training ground on Saturday.

Local police say that 300 Marseille supporters "violently attacked" officers at the training centre. There were 25 arrests.

Seven police officers were injured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55873588
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

If that is true, it really does seem as though Truss will have smashed it in that department. Figure a full US deal would too difficult and restrictive? Get one though the doggy door by piggybacking on someone elses.

Caution, do not try to go through a doggy door while riding a pig.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Serious restrictions on travel are a given. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Summer holidays abroad are declared a no-no this year; even if a smaller destination like Malta manages to finish jabbing early, I'm not at all sure we'll be done in time to form a bubble arrangement with them anyway.

It will probably be a case of opening travel corridors to countries that are well attested to have completed their own vaccination programs, once we've done likewise, the Plague is on a very short lead at both ends, and we both keep all still-afflicted destinations out.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/08/uk-welcome-to-join-pacific-trade-pact-after-brexit-says-japanese-pm
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    flizzy said:

Being bored silly of covid and brexit, and having always been bored silly of Scottish independence which seems to have had a surge on here over the last week, my absolute favourite story at the moment is Gamestop. On more left-wing corners of the internet there's a 'Hahaha look at these rich wall street traders losing money and these little people winning' thing going on. But will any fund on Wall street or in the City really lose much if they just cover themselves until the price returns to something sensible? Could any of them actually lose more than would just come out in the wash at the end of the year? And as for the little people, I know that if they get out at the right time they could make / have made a fortune, but I imagine a lot are going to lose their entire 4 or 5 figure savings, in order that some investment fund shaves 0.01% off their profit margin. Or is there are chance a fund's losses could be big?

And could someone explain to me how if you have to borrow stock in order to short It, it's possible for the total amount shorted to be 140% of stock, as I've seen mentioned somewhere.

Forgive me if there are any major misunderstandings in my post, it isn't my area!

OK.

It's very easy for there to be more than 100% of the outstanding stock to be shorted.

Imagine a company with one share and one shareholder (Joe). The shareholder (Joe) lends his share to "Steve" and Steve sells that share to Mark.

So, Mark owns a share, Joe owns a share, and Steve owns minus one share. Which adds up to one.

It is important to remember that heavily shorted stocks are, by definition, heavily owned too. It means there are a lot of people out there who own GameStop and who can sell it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They already export "Pitcairn Pure Honey" via internet orders.

https://www.government.pn/shop/honey.php

"With all the natural sweetness of tropical fruits and flowers"

'Pitcairn Island Pure honey is packaged in 250g jars. The price per jar is NZ$18.00 (minimum order 2 jars). There is a charge of NZ$3.00 packaging per order + postage as listed below

In May 1998, the UK Government aid agency, the Department for International Development, funded an apiculture programme for Pitcairn which included training for Pitcairn's bee keepers and a detailed analysis of the disease status of Pitcairn bees and honey. As a result, Pitcairn is now able to export honey products to New Zealand and beyond.

Pitcairn has one of the most disease free bee populations of anywhere in the world and the honey produced is of an exceptionally high quality. The apicultural scientist conducting the project, also found that Pitcairn bees were a particularly placid variety and within a short time, was able to work with them wearing minimal protection. It would therefore seem that the export of live Queen bees is another potential earner for the Pitcairn Islanders. The numbers of hives on the island is now around 60, with potential for perhaps 5 times that amount.

The rich and intense fruitiness of Pitcairn's honey is attributed to the nectar from the Mango, Lata, Passion Flower, Guava and Roseapple flowers found in abundance on Pitcairn.'
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,425

This morning I had pancakes (with jam). Tomorrow I will bake scones (to eat with jam). By the day after my daughter will likely have finished the sugary cereal and I will be forced to have eggs. Without jam. Unless I have some toast for my sugar fix.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

flizzy said:

Being bored silly of covid and brexit, and having always been bored silly of Scottish independence which seems to have had a surge on here over the last week, my absolute favourite story at the moment is Gamestop. On more left-wing corners of the internet there's a 'Hahaha look at these rich wall street traders losing money and these little people winning' thing going on. But will any fund on Wall street or in the City really lose much if they just cover themselves until the price returns to something sensible? Could any of them actually lose more than would just come out in the wash at the end of the year? And as for the little people, I know that if they get out at the right time they could make / have made a fortune, but I imagine a lot are going to lose their entire 4 or 5 figure savings, in order that some investment fund shaves 0.01% off their profit margin. Or is there are chance a fund's losses could be big?

And could someone explain to me how if you have to borrow stock in order to short It, it's possible for the total amount shorted to be 140% of stock, as I've seen mentioned somewhere.

Forgive me if there are any major misunderstandings in my post, it isn't my area!

I think the point is that the way that shorting works, is that it is independent of actual physical stock. That is the problem. When shorting you assume that you will be able to buy the stock at a future date (at a profit or as a stop loss). However if the numbers shorting exceed supply then it becomes a massive sellers market and the shorters are totally screwed.

You might recall this happened in 2008 when Porsche briefly became the most valuable company in the world. Large numbers of hedge funds shorted the stock on the back of a perceived crisis in the car industry, only to discover that 80% of the stock was held by a local government in Germany. Who weren't interested in selling.
    IIRC, it wasn't Porsche that became the most valuable company in the world, it was Volkswagen. Porsche bought a bunch of call options for more than the amount of outstanding VW Ordinary shares (VW had a funny split between Prefs and Ords).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting that the US has vaccinated a lower percentage of people than the UK in general, but a higher percentage have received both doses there.

At a guess, they may be sticking rigidly to manufacturer's recommendations on the dosing intervals. We all know how litigious American society is, and it may well be that the state hasn't shouldered the burden of liability as it has here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

You object to the Union Jack getting triple billing?
    We should invite Hawaii to leave the US and join.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

It’s just putting the old gang back together. Might even justify a new Royal yacht as well.

Also - a cunning backdoor way to do a trade deal with China, without explicitly confronting all the PR issues involved in doing a trade deal with China...
    Erm, China isn't a signatory
  • Options
    Re Gamestop, those who bought early (which I'll define as $20/share or less) have probably done fine. But they've done fine because they've sold GME shares for more than they're worth to other Redditors.

The current owners are sitting on large profits. But to realise those profits, they need to sell their shares. And who is going to buy from them?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Link

--AS
    Thank you very much.

--AS
    Alright, well, on a quick scan through that paper, I think it's pretty pessimistic. The most important factors that appear to affect their results are:

. They assume a full 2 dose vaccination reduces mortality by 80%. At the moment we have no idea of the true figure, and it's likely to be less effective in the very old, but I think this is pretty pessimistic for (say) under 70s. Trial data was scarce, but even so. As a result of this assumption, about half of the deaths they predict occur in vaccinated people.

. They assume no ramping up beyond 2 million doses delivered per week. There is also a slowing down over the summer, for no reason that I saw explained (though I might have missed it). So their model is based on everyone who is going to accept a vaccine getting it by December, not sooner. I sincerely hope that this is far from what will happen.

. I didn't notice (though I might have missed it) that they took into account that a proportion of the population -- and crucially, as @DougSeal noted above, a higher proportion of those who mix the most -- are already immune (for a while) through prior infection.

. The other critical parameter is the transmission reduction of the vaccine. Their most optimistic model has 85%. That does actually sound rather optimistic, but at the moment we just have no idea. Their pessimistic model of 0% I find implausible. Their uptake projections are such that even 85% transmission reduction doesn't reduce R below 1 without NPIs. Naturally, in such a circumstance, the medium-term outcomes are poor unless NPIs are maintained. However even our highly-imperfect version of test, trace, and isolate would have some impact here.

Their projections for hospitalizations are alarming and not entirely consistent. I would want to investigate these model outputs further before believing them. They didn't model ICU capacity.

(I also remain disappointed by the depth of science in epidemiological modelling, but that's just me being a snob.)

So I'm not too concerned by their conclusions as long as vaccine roll-out keeps increasing momentum, as long as vaccine uptake is good, and as long as the vaccines are better than 80% effective at preventing mortality.

--AS
  • Options
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

FPT:

Omnium said:

Kwarteng on R4 doing very well. I don't see him as a future leader, but this sort of good performance isn't so common.

I used to know him fairly well many years ago, and I've dealt with Johnson briefly professionally. I'd say Kwasi is much more Prime Ministerial material than Boris, but would have less of an appeal to the Red Wall types.

Personal anecdote - Kwasi and I last met in the British Library in late '09 or early '10. Back then, it still looked more than likely that Cameron would get an overall majority. I said they would. He demurred. History has spoken and he was right.
    Kwasi is an old friend of mine from college, and we were both fund managers in the Mayfair / St James's part of London for a decade.

He's a very bright and capable guy. And I hope he ascends to the very highest office in the land.
    Did you eat with him at the Pitt Club above the Pizza Express in Cambridge? I visited him there once and that was one of my favourite evenings in his company.
    I only visited the Pitt Club once, and it was not with Kwasi! Sadly, that old Cambridge tradition is no more. The Pitt is putt.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Link

--AS
    Thank you very much.

--AS
    Alright, well, on a quick scan through that paper, I think it's pretty pessimistic. The most important factors that appear to affect their results are:

. They assume a full 2 dose vaccination reduces mortality by 80%. At the moment we have no idea of the true figure, and it's likely to be less effective in the very old, but I think this is pretty pessimistic for (say) under 70s. Trial data was scarce, but even so. As a result of this assumption, about half of the deaths they predict occur in vaccinated people.

. They assume no ramping up beyond 2 million doses delivered per week. There is also a slowing down over the summer, for no reason that I saw explained (though I might have missed it). So their model is based on everyone who is going to accept a vaccine getting it by December, not sooner. I sincerely hope that this is far from what will happen.

. I didn't notice (though I might have missed it) that they took into account that a proportion of the population -- and crucially, as @DougSeal noted above, a higher proportion of those who mix the most -- are already immune (for a while) through prior infection.

. The other critical parameter is the transmission reduction of the vaccine. Their most optimistic model has 85%. That does actually sound rather optimistic, but at the moment we just have no idea. Their pessimistic model of 0% I find implausible. Their uptake projections are such that even 85% transmission reduction doesn't reduce R below 1 without NPIs. Naturally, in such a circumstance, the medium-term outcomes are poor unless NPIs are maintained. However even our highly-imperfect version of test, trace, and isolate would have some impact here.

Their projections for hospitalizations are alarming and not entirely consistent. I would want to investigate these model outputs further before believing them. They didn't model ICU capacity.

(I also remain disappointed by the depth of science in epidemiological modelling, but that's just me being a snob.)

So I'm not too concerned by their conclusions as long as vaccine roll-out keeps increasing momentum, as long as vaccine uptake is good, and as long as the vaccines are better than 80% effective at preventing mortality.

--AS
    It should be noted (if I am remembering correctly) that Warwick modelling group were the same people who claimed a 2 week firebreak would save anywhere between 600 and 100k lives...which didn't exactly instil confidence in their modelling abilities.

Which university group was behind the 3000-4000 deaths a day model?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,999
    edited January 2021

Andy_JS said:

At a guess, they may be sticking rigidly to manufacturer's recommendations on the dosing intervals. We all know how litigious American society is, and it may well be that the state hasn't shouldered the burden of liability as it has here.
    It probably is that.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Link

--AS
    Thank you very much.

--AS

--AS
    Thanks for the precis. One never knows how seriously to take these models.

As I said earlier, personally I'm expecting some restrictions to continue for quite a long time, but if we can dispense with them all (save, probably, for travel curbs) by the Autumn then I'll naturally be delighted to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    kle4 said:

Brunei
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Link

--AS
    Thank you very much.

--AS

--AS
    "Their uptake projections are such that even 85% transmission reduction doesn't reduce R below 1 without NPIs"

Really?

That sounds utterly ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.