Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first Senate impeachment vote splits 55-45 suggesting that the required two thirds majority unli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited January 2021 in General
imageThe first Senate impeachment vote splits 55-45 suggesting that the required two thirds majority unlikely – politicalbetting.com

Just five GOP Senators joined Democrats in voting to go forward with the impeachment trial against Trump for his role stirring up a mob that attacked the Capitol.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Not first.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,952
    Separately, the Huawei plant in France will never be built. Just like the Foxconn plant in Wisconsin was never built.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,183
    Top five
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Separately, the Huawei plant in France will never be built. Just like the Foxconn plant in Wisconsin was never built.

Didn't they get planning permission for a research centre here that will never be built.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why do you think that?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited January 2021
    Seventh. Europa League for me, if I'm lucky.
  • Options
    FPT
    I see a lot of tough words on here from some people about penalising certain types of speech especially related to spreading untruths about vaccinations.

I'm not expressing a view on that, but I'd like to know what the difference is between being an antivaxxer and being a climate change denier. To me they seem directly equivalent, and when I think of it in those terms it points me towards having the same view on what should or shouldn't happen to those people.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    Eh, 5 was about as many as seemed probable in any case, so disappointing hint but not a massive shock.

Now that the danger has passed put Trump back on twitter, his ramblings might get the number as high as 6 or 7.
  • Options
    Who are the five?
  • Options

Floater said:

RobD said:
    He's just an American commentator reading something on twitter and sticking "BREAKING" in front of his interpretation of it.
    Just an American commentator?

Eric Feigl-Ding
    @DrEricDing
    Epidemiologist & Health Economist. Senior Fellow, FAS. Fmr 16 yrs
    @Harvard
    . Health & justice advocate.

He might of course be wrong but the only political positions I have seen him take were anti Trump
    He is well qualified but ill informed on something happening the other side of the world, it is not a rare combination at all.

He unsurprisingly dislikes Trump as he is a Democrat politician who has stood for Congress.
    Calling Dr. Ding a "politician" is not quite right, in that he is primarily a medico who took a fling at being a politico, running for Congress on platform that focused on public health and universal health care.

Would also like to point out that, unless you want to sound like a highly partisan GOPer, should refer to "DemocratIC politician".

Realize that UK has "Liberal Democrat Party" but in USA we have "Democratic Party" as the historic, legal and conventional moniker.

Note in Canada they have the "New Democratic Party". NOT the New Democrat Party - which frankly (like Liberal Democrat Party) is ungrammatical IMHO.
    The Democratic Party in its current form is actually older than the Republican Party in its current form. Not sure the Republicans deserve the GOP moniker!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Trump GOP 2024 then.

Nothing has been learnt.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I suspect he is at last beginning to appreciate the enormity of his repeated errors of judgment over the past year. And a leader who has to apologise to the country and take responsibility for such a colossal loss of life must surely be on borrowed time. The vaccine might save him for a few months but not for long I think.
    I strongly suspect he will still be there in 2024 when there is a GE.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure. He will be followed everywhere he goes by bereaved relatives, it will be impossible for him to move the agenda on. I think Labour and the other opposition parties will turn up the volume when the pandemic is over and how can Johnson defend himself? Everyone, even most Tories, knows he bears a heavy weight of responsibility. The scientists and other insiders - potentially including Cummings - will claim, probably correctly, that he ignored their advice until it was too late. There's really no way forward for him.
    You do seem to be ignoring the fact that Labour run Wales.

And Wales has a worse death rate per head than England. And a poorer vaccine roll out.
    There's no doubt that the Westminster government have made bad mistakes but they do have successes on getting large scale testing and vaccination done.

I'm not sure what successes the devolved governments have managed beyond Sturgeon being good at press conferences.
    With his list of essential goods that supermarkets are restricted to selling, followed by his free advertising for Amazon, Mark Drakeford has successfully helped the richest man in the world become a little bit richer ?
  • Options
    Back of the queue....like my chances of getting a vaccine or an nvidia 3080...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    dixiedean said:

Who are the five?

Let's guess

Romney
    Sasse
    Collins
    Murkowski
    Shit, I'm running out of names I know who aren't (afaik)Trump sycophants,er, Mike Crapo (because he has a funny name, no other reason)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Erm ... Can't count that high, so probably relegation for me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'll pay £100 to PB if there are no export restrictions on any EU produced vaccine between now and the end of March.

You pay £200 to worthy charity if there are export restrictions on any EU produced vaccine between now and the end of March.

Bet ?

Its a bet I'm happy to lose.
  • Options

FPT
    I see a lot of tough words on here from some people about penalising certain types of speech especially related to spreading untruths about vaccinations.

I'm not expressing a view on that, but I'd like to know what the difference is between being an antivaxxer and being a climate change denier. To me they seem directly equivalent, and when I think of it in those terms it points me towards having the same view on what should or shouldn't happen to those people.

And what is the difference between spreading untruths about vaccines, and doing the same around other aspects of the disease?
    Such as it's prevalence, transmission and even very existence?
    Also, not stating a view, but that too could be seen as equally harmful.
    More so if it comes to saying hospitals are empty, it's a hoax and you therefore don't need to take any mitigation.
    That is killing people.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

FPT

I think climate change is tricky. It’s clearly happening, our civilisation has probably played a significant role, but there are genuine questions not yet answered. For instance, what is the optimum temperature for the earth? If we stopped all CO2 emissions today, what would happen? Is there a component of the recent warming that is natural variation? What is the best way to combat climate change (if possible?) Its an incredibly politicised area. Many extremists on both sides. Some lamentable data practices that don’t match up to open science.
    I am what would be described as a Luke warmer. Clearly climate change is occurring, but I do not subscribe to the extreme predictions of doom. Am I a denier?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    edited January 2021
    Why go off at full cock when you can go off at half cock?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1354195378506244096?s=20

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1354195642088873985?s=20

Basically

"got good genomic sequencing ability so you find variants" = hotel quarantine,
    "not doing much/any sequencing, so we don't know" = "welcome to blighty!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Who are the five?

Let's guess

Romney
    Sasse
    Collins
    Murkowski
    Shit, I'm running out of names I know who aren't (afaik)Trump sycophants,er, Mike Crapo (because he has a funny name, no other reason)
    4 from 5. You missed Pat Toomey.
    Usual suspects then.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,392

FPT

The fact that your instinct is to restrict free speech in either of these areas by punitive means isn't a great advert for your political philosophy.
  • Options
    Good thing Trump didn't win/overturn or Five Members who wanted to convict him might have found him trying this move.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Members

Cannot imagine Pence in place pulling a Lenthall.
  • Options

FPT

I think climate change is tricky. It’s clearly happening, our civilisation has probably played a significant role, but there are genuine questions not yet answered. For instance, what is the optimum temperature for the earth? If we stopped all CO2 emissions today, what would happen? Is there a component of the recent warming that is natural variation? What is the best way to combat climate change (if possible?) Its an incredibly politicised area. Many extremists on both sides. Some lamentable data practices that don’t match up to open science.
    I am what would be described as a Luke warmer. Clearly climate change is occurring, but I do not subscribe to the extreme predictions of doom. Am I a denier?
    There can be no "optimum" temperature for the planet. It has been through a vast range.
    However, for humans it would be as close to the present one as possible.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    dixiedean said:

FPT

There can be no "optimum" temperature for the planet. It has been through a vast range.
    I wasn’t really expecting answers to those questions. My point is whoe decides who is or is a denier?
  • Options
    He's just so useless. Doesn't he understand that people will just fly via Paris or Amsterdam?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    dixiedean said:

FPT

And what is the difference between spreading untruths about vaccines, and doing the same around other aspects of the disease?
    More so if it comes to saying hospitals are empty, it's a hoax and you therefore don't need to take any mitigation.
    That is killing people.
    Yes, I think that's worse. Being a climate change denier probably has a neglible impact on the planet - you're expressing a silly opinion. Being an anti-vaxxer is risking being guilty of manslaughter if someone takes you seriously.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,549
    edited January 2021
    FPT

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

I'd be very surprised if Johnson survives as leader much beyond early summer. When things start to return to normal there are going to be questions to answer for his appalling mismanagement. The worst number in Europe and one of the worst in the world.

Good riddance to him.

You can't blame Johnson for the fact that we have a combination of the following factors in the UK: one of the highest population densities in the world, large elderly population, high levels of obesity, large numbers of people arriving and leaving from all over the world. All of those were already the case before he became PM.
    Taiwan and South Korea have much higher population densities than the UK, South Korea has 15% over 65, the UK 18%, not a huge difference there. And if you think about large numbers of people arriving and leaving we have Singapore and Hong Kong. All of these countries have far, far fewer deaths than the UK. Which leaves us with obesity though I guess New Zealand and Australia are not that different from the UK in this respect? The UK may have a unique combination of these factors but this does not explain how we have nearly 100 times as many deaths as Australia and South Korea and no less than 4000 times as many as New Zealand and Taiwan. More people died in the UK today than in Australia throughout the entire pandemic ffs!
    The main point of my post was that the UK is near the top of the list when you take all of those factors into account at the same time, not just one or two of them. Taiwan and South Korea have very low rates of obesity, for example, as do Singapore and Hong. Australia and New Zealand have very low population densities. Having all the factors at the same time hugely increases the problem.

But I agree that the government has made serious mistakes, most notably not stopping international travel last March. Also the Christmas exemption was probably the wrong decision.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He's just so useless. Doesn't he understand that people will just fly via Paris or Amsterdam?
    Or come from countries which aren't doing genomic sequencing to identify new strains....

• Options

FPT

The fact that your instinct is to restrict free speech in either of these areas by punitive means isn't a great advert for your political philosophy.
    I specifically avoided expressing a view because I don't want to get involved in the argument. But since you guessed, I feel compelled to say you guessed wrong. I don't want to restrict free speech in all but the most extreme cases, and I don't think either of these are.
    But I don't want to talk about my specific view, I want to know whether anybody agrees or disagrees that the two are directly comparable. Antivaxxing=climate change denial.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I suspect he is at last beginning to appreciate the enormity of his repeated errors of judgment over the past year. And a leader who has to apologise to the country and take responsibility for such a colossal loss of life must surely be on borrowed time. The vaccine might save him for a few months but not for long I think.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure. He will be followed everywhere he goes by bereaved relatives, it will be impossible for him to move the agenda on. I think Labour and the other opposition parties will turn up the volume when the pandemic is over and how can Johnson defend himself? Everyone, even most Tories, knows he bears a heavy weight of responsibility. The scientists and other insiders - potentially including Cummings - will claim, probably correctly, that he ignored their advice until it was too late. There's really no way forward for him.
    Yes, the experts interviewed on R4s retrospective earlier identified the UK government’s slow initial response as the principal explanation for our poor relative performance, with the inability to do effective test and trace as the next. Other key reasons were the age and health profile of the population and the early cock up with care homes. An article on the Guardian website lists the same factors in a different order, and adds the ever changing, confusing regulations. Almost all of this sits with the government directly.
    Are the LibDems in power somewhere, so we can examine their relative performance?

Ah yes, .... they are jointly running the part of the UK with the highest death rate per capita.
    I don't really think you can pin the 100,000 death statistic on a LD Education Minister in the Sennedd. I agree Drakeford, is responsible, but Kirsty isn't.
    MexicanPete -- like a knight in shining armour -- springs to the defence of the sweet Kirsty (although the Welsh is a little rusty, as it is Senedd)

But, that brings me to a question. Why is Kirsty Williams retiring? She could certainly hold Brecon & Radnorshire, whilst her successor may well not. Kirsty is only 49 -- the only LibDem in Government anywhere in the UK.

Maybe even she has given up waiting for the LibDem revival.

And somewhere in Hotel California, a hard-faced man is adding to his bank account, acting as a paid liar for Facebook
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    I can't work out why the government are so keen to keep allowing Instagram models and other assorted influencers travel the world unrestricted.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Or come from countries which aren't doing genomic sequencing to identify new strains....

Indeed. The policy needs to be blanket or why bother. I can understand if this is a slow introduction to avoid a massive rush of people returning all at once, but if it stays at just countries with detected variants then there's literally no point.
  • Options

Basically

If true this is absolutely bloody ridiculous and indefensible IMHO. 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Didn't they get planning permission for a research centre here that will never be built.
    Yep.

The ratio of "announced Chinese company investments" to "actually happened Chinese company investments" is at least five-to-one, and may be as high as ten-to-one.

The MO of these companies (Foxconn, Hon Hai, Huawei, Xiaomi) is usually to agree to something headline grabbing, then use it to try and get lots of good local press to sell smartphones (or whatever), and to try and persuade local politicians to put pressure on the US to reduce export restrictions, and then demand completely uneconomic subsidies that mean the plant never gets built.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Basically

Say hello to 150,000 dead, Boris.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. The policy needs to be blanket or why bother. I can understand if this is a slow introduction to avoid a massive rush of people returning all at once, but if it stays at just countries with detected variants then there's literally no point.
    That's a very good point. A slow introduction at first, expanded over time, would make sense.

If its a trial essentially with the countries we know we need it for most first and the others later then that's actually reasonable.

If the plan is to do this indefinitely . . . indefensible.
  • Options
    TimT said:

FPT

I think it is possible to be an anti-vaxxer and what others would call a climate denier without ever having spread falsehoods (alternative facts, if you would) and without denying science.

Ultimately, for antivaxxers (and I am not one of them, I am strongly pro-vaccines), there is a philosophical space that says the rights of the individual to chose whether or not to have a vaccine should outweigh the rights of society to impose vaccination, particularly where (for the very small percentage with fatal adverse effects) the costs are borne by the individual while the benefits accrue to society.

Likewise, many who accept that the data point to our need to change what we are doing with fossil fuels and other forms of polluting the earth, but who are sceptical of both excessive reliance on computer modeling and the shutting down of criticism of those models, are labeled as deniers. I fully accept that humans are causing damage to the Earth and we need to change what we are doing, but I strongly dislike the way the climate change community has gone about it, and have been called a denier just for that.

To me, the harm is caused when people spread falsehoods, not when they assert other values, or question consensus, or even are selfish.
    Perhaps I'm misusing the word, but for me, antivax means you spread lies about the efficacy, side-effects, or purpose of vaccinations. I wouldn't include people who choose for ethical, religious, reasons, or reasons motivated by a desire to self-harm. Unless those religious or ethical reasons are based on falsehoods (animal products that aren't actually used, that sort of thing).
  • Options
    I can't work out what the hell they are thinking....vaccines going well, lockdown seems to be working, Boris has managed to stay on message and not gone all sunny uplands are only weeks away....all they needed to do was copy the Australian scheme...literally copy n paste...no, lets try that airbridge thingie again but with hotels thrown in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Yep.

The ratio of "announced Chinese company investments" to "actually happened Chinese company investments" is at least five-to-one, and may be as high as ten-to-one.

The MO of these companies (Foxconn, Hon Hai, Huawei, Xiaomi) is usually to agree to something headline grabbing, then use it to try and get lots of good local press to sell smartphones (or whatever), and to try and persuade local politicians to put pressure on the US to reduce export restrictions, and then demand completely uneconomic subsidies that mean the plant never gets built.

A council which signed a £1bn investment deal with a Chinese manufacturing firm three years ago has admitted the deal is now "dead".

Sheffield City Council announced the 60-year agreement with the Sichuan Guodong construction firm in 2016.

It was hailed a "massive vote of confidence" for the city but will now not happen, a councillor has said.

However, the authority said it had "no regrets" because the deal had "put Sheffield on the map".

Altogether the council spent £40,000 on trips connected with the agreement.

When she signed the deal in July 2016 Julie Dore, leader of the Labour-run council, said Sheffield would see "benefits and achievements" for years and years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-48925175#:~:text=A council which signed a,Guodong construction firm in 2016.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited January 2021

Basically

Give it another couple of days and it will be watered down to a recommendation to stay in a Premier Inn for a long weekend and limit the number of runs to the take-away to 3.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Yes it will likely go along party lines with a few exceptions like Romney. Any GOP Senator who votes to convict Trump will face a primary challenge from a Trump loyalist when up for re election along withe the 10 Republicans in the House who voted to impeach Trump.

So a majority but not the 2/3 majority required by the Constitution will vote to convict Trump, though as he is no longer POTUS it will just be symbolic anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

dixiedean said:

FPT

I wasn’t really expecting answers to those questions. My point is whoe decides who is or is a denier?
    Which is the nub of the entire "free speech" argument.
    Who decides?
    Which is why I am uncomfortable with some of the more vociferous calls for a crackdown.
    My view?
    We spent far too many years listening to and engaging with outre views on social media in the interests of "democratising" debate and "providing balance".
    Rather than saying they are wrong, an idiot, and probably malicious.
    And therefore allowed them to leak into the mainstream.
    This encompasses a wide range of loony views from many political persuasions.
  • Options
    TimT said:

FPT

I think it is possible to be an anti-vaxxer and what others would call a climate denier without ever having spread falsehoods (alternative facts, if you would) and without denying science.

Ultimately, for antivaxxers (and I am not one of them, I am strongly pro-vaccines), there is a philosophical space that says the rights of the individual to chose whether or not to have a vaccine should outweigh the rights of society to impose vaccination, particularly where (for the very small percentage with fatal adverse effects) the costs are borne by the individual while the benefits accrue to society.

Likewise, many who accept that the data point to our need to change what we are doing with fossil fuels and other forms of polluting the earth, but who are sceptical of both excessive reliance on computer modeling and the shutting down of criticism of those models, are labeled as deniers. I fully accept that humans are causing damage to the Earth and we need to change what we are doing, but I strongly dislike the way the climate change community has gone about it, and have been called a denier just for that.

To me, the harm is caused when people spread falsehoods, not when they assert other values, or question consensus, or even are selfish.
    Spreading falsehoods isn't and shouldn't be illegal.

If someone believes something is true, but the consensus is it is false, then should the minority be censored? No.

Free speech is more important than the harm of falsehoods. Sorry it just is.

Doesn't mean people can't face consequences for spreading falsehoods - including getting sacked - but not criminal censure.
  • Options

Basically

Priti is right on that and Boris is wrong
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That's a very good point. A slow introduction at first, expanded over time, would make sense.

If its a trial essentially with the countries we know we need it for most first and the others later then that's actually reasonable.

If the plan is to do this indefinitely . . . indefensible.
    Later needs to be within a few weeks though.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    TimT said:

FPT

Yes. That's the crucial difference.

If you have a moral dislike of vaccines, or believe they are dangerous, that's fine. I disagree, but we are allowed to disagree.

But expressing a clear falsehood about vaccines on a public forum like Twitter (or in a prestigious paper), that is qualitatively different. Journalists, in particular, have a duty to get it right, and not rush to publish - even more so during a pandemic.

The German idiot crossed that line. OK, maybe arrest is a bit strong, but he should certainly be fired. And I hope AZ sue the scheiss out of him. He also REALLY needs to show us this "data" which still apparently exists, even though it now only SUGGESTS something that COULD happen in a POSSIBLE scenario, a version which completely contradicts what he wrote about two hours before in the paper
  • Options

Floater said:

RobD said:
    He's just an American commentator reading something on twitter and sticking "BREAKING" in front of his interpretation of it.

Eric Feigl-Ding
    @DrEricDing
    @Harvard

He might of course be wrong but the only political positions I have seen him take were anti Trump
    He is well qualified but ill informed on something happening the other side of the world, it is not a rare combination at all.

He unsurprisingly dislikes Trump as he is a Democrat politician who has stood for Congress.
    Calling Dr. Ding a "politician" is not quite right, in that he is primarily a medico who took a fling at being a politico, running for Congress on platform that focused on public health and universal health care.

Would also like to point out that, unless you want to sound like a highly partisan GOPer, should refer to "DemocratIC politician".

Realize that UK has "Liberal Democrat Party" but in USA we have "Democratic Party" as the historic, legal and conventional moniker.

Note in Canada they have the "New Democratic Party". NOT the New Democrat Party - which frankly (like Liberal Democrat Party) is ungrammatical IMHO.
    The Democratic Party in its current form is actually older than the Republican Party in its current form. Not sure the Republicans deserve the GOP moniker!
    The term "Grand Old Party" for the Republicans dates back to 1870s when the "old" party was only two decades old. And as about the same time that Thomas Nast made the elephant THE symbol of the GOP.

Note that the party of Thomas Jefferson (and Aaron Burr) was the Republican Party. Which ended up absorbing most of the remains of its early rival, the Federalist Party. Indeed, it was so successful that in James Madison was re-elected virtually unopposed in 1820 (the "Era of Good Feeling").

However, by 1824, the (first) Republican Party had split apart, with the largest fraction emerging as the Democratic Party under Andrew Jackson, challenged by the new Whig Party (named after the Whigs of England; note that NO American party with any hope of power every called itself Tory).

By the 1850s, a new American Party (aka "No Nothings") had arisen in opposition to mass immigration, esp. by Catholics, at the same time that slavery was smashing the Whigs and sundering the Democrats. The (second) Republican Party emerged from this (dare I say) melting pot, comprised of "Free Soil" Democrats, "Conscience" (as opposed to "Cotton") Whigs and No-Nothings. After the Civil War, the Democratic Party regrouped, dominated by Southern Whites and Northern urbanites & immigrants, but also with significant rural support in the North & West.
  • Options

I can't work out why the government are so keen to keep allowing Instagram models and other assorted influencers travel the world unrestricted.

Because politicians want to travel the world unrestricted and the government doesn't want to upset them.

Because the media want to travel the world unrestricted and the government doesn't want to upset them.

Because holiday obsessives want to travel the world unrestricted and the government doesn't want to upset them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    edited January 2021
    dixiedean said:

FPT

That is killing people.
    Yes, but to quote a famous question "What is Truth?"

Is it the truth to say "there is no published data showing how effective thisAZN vaccine is in the over 65's"? Or is it truth to say "there is no published evidence that the Pfizer vaccine is effective with a 12 week gap"?

A lot depends on how keen a person is on following the science, or how far they want to go in anticipating it. Extrapolating that hydroxychloroqine should be widely used, for example, on the basis of some lab work.

Of course, awaiting solid evidence has risks, but so too does acting on flimsy evidence. One of those risks is in the anticipation being wrong. That would be very damaging to the credibility of a vaccine programme.

So it comes down to philosophy. How much do we need to know in order to act? And that in turn comes down to attitude to risk. By the nature of this site, people here are risk takers who act on hunches, but is that a sound philosophy in other situations?

• Options

Floater said:

RobD said:

Eric Feigl-Ding
    @DrEricDing
    @Harvard

The term "Grand Old Party" for the Republicans dates back to 1870s when the "old" party was only two decades old. And as about the same time that Thomas Nast made the elephant THE symbol of the GOP.

Note that the party of Thomas Jefferson (and Aaron Burr) was the Republican Party. Which ended up absorbing most of the remains of its early rival, the Federalist Party. Indeed, it was so successful that in James Madison was re-elected virtually unopposed in 1820 (the "Era of Good Feeling").

However, by 1824, the (first) Republican Party had split apart, with the largest fraction emerging as the Democratic Party under Andrew Jackson, challenged by the new Whig Party (named after the Whigs of England; note that NO American party with any hope of power every called itself Tory).

By the 1850s, a new American Party (aka "No Nothings") had arisen in opposition to mass immigration, esp. by Catholics, at the same time that slavery was smashing the Whigs and sundering the Democrats. The (second) Republican Party emerged from this (dare I say) melting pot, comprised of "Free Soil" Democrats, "Conscience" (as opposed to "Cotton") Whigs and No-Nothings. After the Civil War, the Democratic Party regrouped, dominated by Southern Whites and Northern urbanites & immigrants, but also with significant rural support in the North & West.
    I'm currently watching a YaleCourse on the 1850s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFlkEonxhs
  • Options

An instagram influencer currently in Dubai was on TV this morning claiming she was a "key worker". Ridiculous.
  • Options

FPT

I specifically avoided expressing a view because I don't want to get involved in the argument. But since you guessed, I feel compelled to say you guessed wrong. I don't want to restrict free speech in all but the most extreme cases, and I don't think either of these are.
    But I don't want to talk about my specific view, I want to know whether anybody agrees or disagrees that the two are directly comparable. Antivaxxing=climate change denial.
    There are serious scientists (e.g., the late Freeman Dyson) who are sceptical about the importance of man-made climate change on the planet.

The last serious scientist who was an anti-vaxxer was Alfred Russell Wallace, a hundred years ago.

The science underlying climate change is much more difficult and messy than the science underlying vaccination.

So, I personally don't agree with your equivalence of the two.

However, the journalist was at fault, not for what he said, but ***because he refused to release the data***. It is the latter part that is unforgiveable in science. He wanted us to take his claims on trust. Science does not work like that.

We now know there was no data.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

IanB2 said:

Yes, the experts interviewed on R4s retrospective earlier identified the UK government’s slow initial response as the principal explanation for our poor relative performance, with the inability to do effective test and trace as the next. Other key reasons were the age and health profile of the population and the early cock up with care homes. An article on the Guardian website lists the same factors in a different order, and adds the ever changing, confusing regulations. Almost all of this sits with the government directly.
    Are the LibDems in power somewhere, so we can examine their relative performance?

Ah yes, .... they are jointly running the part of the UK with the highest death rate per capita.
    I don't really think you can pin the 100,000 death statistic on a LD Education Minister in the Sennedd. I agree Drakeford, is responsible, but Kirsty isn't.
    MexicanPete -- like a knight in shining armour -- springs to the defence of the sweet Kirsty (although the Welsh is a little rusty, as it is Senedd)

But, that brings me to a question. Why is Kirsty Williams retiring? She could certainly hold Brecon & Radnorshire, whilst her successor may well not. Kirsty is only 49 -- the only LibDem in Government anywhere in the UK.

Maybe even she has given up waiting for the LibDem revival.

And somewhere in Hotel California, a hard-faced man is adding to his bank account, acting as a paid liar for Facebook
    I apologise for the "Senedd". Sometimes I get it right. The legacy of a formative education in the county of Hereford and Worcester.

And wash your mouth out! This is not the forum on which to critique St. Nick!
  • Options

Because politicians want to travel the world unrestricted and the government doesn't want to upset them.

Because the media want to travel the world unrestricted and the government doesn't want to upset them.

Because holiday obsessives want to travel the world unrestricted and the government doesn't want to upset them.
    Not good enough. Not if it means a curtailment of our civil liberties.

For schools to be closed but borders to be open is literally insane. If there were zero other restrictions and the question was borders open or closed and nothing else then fair enough. We're way past that point.

When my children are forbidden from going to school and getting a proper education then I couldn't give the furry crack of a rat's arse about someone's desire to soak in the sun for a week. You want sunshine, my children want to go to school - which is more important?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

FPT

Perhaps I'm misusing the word, but for me, antivax means you spread lies about the efficacy, side-effects, or purpose of vaccinations. I wouldn't include people who choose for ethical, religious, reasons, or reasons motivated by a desire to self-harm. Unless those religious or ethical reasons are based on falsehoods (animal products that aren't actually used, that sort of thing).
    In the US, the anti-vaxxers started out as pretty reasonable, ethical people, but got overtaken by idiot celebrity know-nothings, like Jenny McCarthy

Here is an interesting article on this history of anti-vaccination movements in the US (and UK), told in the context of the NYC measles outbreak:

"The ethics of mandatory vaccination, meanwhile, are still a topic of debate—even among medical experts, says Colgrove. As he writes in his book, State of Immunity, the balance between public health authority and individual rights has always been a controversial part of America’s history with compulsory vaccination."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-24/america-s-long-history-with-the-anti-vaxxers
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    @Philip_Thompson "Spreading falsehoods isn't and shouldn't be illegal."
    As someone pointed out earlier, in this case it is like falsely shouting "fire!" in a crowded theatre. Whether illegal or not it is wrong and deserves opprobrium.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Andy_JS said:

An instagram influencer currently in Dubai was on TV this morning claiming she was a "key worker". Ridiculous.
    Yes, and this was a rather good response...

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1354075804880285702?s=19
  • Options
    geoffw said:

As someone pointed out earlier, in this case it is like falsely shouting "fire!" in a crowded theatre. Whether illegal or not it is wrong and deserves opprobrium.

Opprobrium yes. I said its wrong and the journalist who said it should be fired if he won't apologise and retract it and the paper wants to be considered a credible, serious paper.

But imprisonment? That's another matter. That's what I replied to. Sending people to prison for having "wrong" opinions is not OK.
  • Options
    Re: the 55-45 initial US Senate vote on proceeding to trial on 2021 article of impeachment, I agree that it appears positive for You-Know-Who.

HOWEVER, note that both the US Senate and House (and also state legislative chambers) frequently have a series of different roll-calls on the same measure, or rather different aspects of the measure, in which there is MUCH apparently switching, dithering & even changing of minds, as lawmakers do the traditional legislative Dance of the Bumblebees, trying to appease various factions, leaders, pundits, supporters, voters.

"Well, maybe I voted against you here - but I votes with you there, and there."

Sounds pathetic but that's politics.

Part of the explanation for fluctuations in US Senate nay votes against confirming various Biden cabinet picks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Basically

Et tu, HYUFD?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,936

For schools to be closed but borders to be open is literally insane. If there were zero other restrictions and the question was borders open or closed and nothing else then fair enough. We're way past that point.

When my children are forbidden from going to school and getting a proper education then I couldn't give the furry crack of a rat's arse about someone's desire to soak in the sun for a week. You want sunshine, my children want to go to school - which is more important?
    Straight talk: old people vote Conservative & old people want to have their vaccine and go on holiday and have fun whilst the young are forced to stay indoors & miss out on the best years of their lives to protect them.

This is a generational f.you from the old to the young.

I am neither old, nor young & just so angry about the whole thing. 100,000 dead, probably 10s of 1000s more by the time this is all over & all the time we could have been like NZ, or Taiwan, or any one of a bunch of other nations that did what needed to be done in a thoughtful fashion & ended up with death rates 100x less than ours.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Opprobrium yes. I said its wrong and the journalist who said it should be fired if he won't apologise and retract it and the paper wants to be considered a credible, serious paper.

But imprisonment? That's another matter. That's what I replied to. Sending people to prison for having "wrong" opinions is not OK.
    I have retracted that "arrest him" opinion. I was furious when I saw that anti-vaxxers were seizing on his Fake News. Because it really IS dangerous

Just sack him. There HAS to be some price to pay. And add a dash of mockery (tho I see he is getting plenty of this on Twitter, anyway)

• Options

geoffw said:

It's not just an opinion of his, it's false reporting. That should be punished, quite heavily in view of the global consequences in this case.

• Options
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

I have retracted that "arrest him" opinion. I was furious when I saw that anti-vaxxers were seizing on his Fake News. Because it really IS dangerous

Just sack him. There HAS to be some price to pay. And add a dash of mockery (tho I see he is getting plenty of this on Twitter, anyway)

Then we can agree and draw a line in the sand.

Tempers are high, my blood was boiling when I wrote my last comment about schools and borders.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I can't work out what the hell they are thinking....vaccines going well, lockdown seems to be working, Boris has managed to stay on message and not gone all sunny uplands are only weeks away....all they needed to do was copy the Australian scheme...literally copy n paste...no, lets try that airbridge thingie again but with hotels thrown in.

My pet theory is that the Tory Party is in beholden to airlines and airports, as I suspect they are significant donors and lobbyists, and so they keep prioritising the travel industry. Nothing else makes any sense. The airplanes can sit in the desert for a few years, the airports are going nowhere, yes those businesses will be destroyed, but new companies can pick up the pieces. Trying to save the travel industry at the expense of tens of thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of pounds is nuts.
  • Options
    Leon said:
    AstraZeneca’s first supply contract was signed with the UK in May last year. Ministers were keen to ensure that a UK company commercialised the Oxford University technology, rejecting an alternative deal with US giant Merck.

Insiders at the time were worried that Donald Trump, the former US president, might put pressure on Merck to halt supplies to the UK. “What we didn’t expect was the EU might end up going down this path,” a former UK government official said
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

It's not just an opinion of his, it's false reporting. That should be punished, quite heavily in view of the global consequences in this case.

Punished by whom? The employer, the customers or the state?

The state should not be in the business of deciding what is true and what is false.

AZN suing him and the paper and getting a major settlement would be reasonable but that is the offended party getting retribution not the state.
  • Options

It is harder for the UK, though.

Australia doesn't have lorries coming and going with drivers on. Heck, they barely have that around their own country.

So, it's not strictly true to say that we could copy and paste the Australian model, because (simply) we have a lot more traffic and a lot more of our trade involves people crossing borders. (Coal being loaded into big bulk carriers in Queensland doesn't really count.)

Travel restrictions work. But their effectiveness depends on there being a big difference between the virus prevalence in your country and the ones around you.

There are 20,000 new CV19 cases a day in the UK. Obviously not every person with CV19 will get diagnosed, so a simply back of the envelope calculation would suggest there are around 600,000 people who have (and are contagious with CV19) in the UK right now.

If we import 1,000 cases of CV19 a week, that would be bad. But it would also pale in comparison to the 600,000 people already with CV19 in the UK. We want to avoid those 1,000 cases. But with so many people already infected in the UK, we're talking about a marginal impact on the likelihood of getting it.

Last summer, when there were just 5-700 new cases a day, and positivity rates were on the floor, that was the time when travel restrictions would have made a big difference.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have them (indeed, I've been a big advocate in the past), but they clearly are far more efficacious when you don't have close to a million people in the UK wandering around with Covid already.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    HYUFD said:

Basically

Hats off to you on this point HYUFD!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

There's a difference between shouting "fire!" and lying about vaccines, and it's about the time needed to react.

If someone lies about vaccinations, you've almost always got the time to look into it before you have to do anything about it. If someone makes you think there's about to be a stampede, you don't really have much of an opportunity to work out whether there's really anything behind the panic.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Yep.

A council which signed a £1bn investment deal with a Chinese manufacturing firm three years ago has admitted the deal is now "dead".

Sheffield City Council announced the 60-year agreement with the Sichuan Guodong construction firm in 2016.

It was hailed a "massive vote of confidence" for the city but will now not happen, a councillor has said.

However, the authority said it had "no regrets" because the deal had "put Sheffield on the map".

When she signed the deal in July 2016 Julie Dore, leader of the Labour-run council, said Sheffield would see "benefits and achievements" for years and years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-48925175#:~:text=A council which signed a,Guodong construction firm in 2016.
    A cynic would say that the council members and staff really enjoyed their foreign travel.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Australia doesn't have lorries coming and going with drivers on. Heck, they barely have that around their own country.

So, it's not strictly true to say that we could copy and paste the Australian model, because (simply) we have a lot more traffic and a lot more of our trade involves people crossing borders. (Coal being loaded into big bulk carriers in Queensland doesn't really count.)

Travel restrictions work. But their effectiveness depends on there being a big difference between the virus prevalence in your country and the ones around you.

There are 20,000 new CV19 cases a day in the UK. Obviously not every person with CV19 will get diagnosed, so a simply back of the envelope calculation would suggest there are around 600,000 people who have (and are contagious with CV19) in the UK right now.

If we import 1,000 cases of CV19 a week, that would be bad. But it would also pale in comparison to the 600,000 people already with CV19 in the UK. We want to avoid those 1,000 cases. But with so many people already infected in the UK, we're talking about a marginal impact on the likelihood of getting it.

Last summer, when there were just 5-700 new cases a day, and positivity rates were on the floor, that was the time when travel restrictions would have made a big difference.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have them (indeed, I've been a big advocate in the past), but they clearly are far more efficacious when you don't have close to a million people in the UK wandering around with Covid already.
    That logic only works when Covid = Covid.

Now we know about strains and original Covid != Kent Covid != Saffer Covid != Brazilian Covid != San Francisco Covid (?) . . . and no other major country on the planet is even monitoring strains like we are . . . then its a different story.

Strains are a gamechanger. Close the bloody border, let us deal with Cockney Covid - its too late we have that - but keep the other strains away. Deal with what we have and move on until the rest of the world catches up with us.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Punished by whom? The employer, the customers or the state?

The state should not be in the business of deciding what is true and what is false.

AZN suing him and the paper and getting a major settlement would be reasonable but that is the offended party getting retribution not the state.
    If Handelsblatt wishes to keep its reputation, such as it is (c.f. @Phil earlier) then they should do so.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Phil said:

Straight talk: old people vote Conservative & old people want to have their vaccine and go on holiday and have fun whilst the young are forced to stay indoors & miss out on the best years of their lives to protect them.

This is a generational f.you from the old to the young.

I am neither old, nor young & just so angry about the whole thing. 100,000 dead, probably 10s of 1000s more by the time this is all over & all the time we could have been like NZ, or Taiwan, or any one of a bunch of other nations that did what needed to be done in a thoughtful fashion & ended up with death rates 100x less than ours.
    I do not believe it was ever possible for the UK to be like Taiwan or NZ.

East Asia is a rule-obeying society, content to be closely surveilled, and many of the more advanced countries in the region - South Korea, Taiwan - had previous experience with SARS and were physically, technologically and psychologically much better prepared for a repeat.

New Zealand is a faraway archipelago with a sparse population hugely isolated from the rest of the world. and thus easy to quarantine. Australia is nearer but still, it is an empty huge island a long way from other massive populations with few access points.

Almost no European or American country matches these profiles, which is why nearly all are suffering badly (one exception is Norway). Even countries which did well in the first wave are now enduring big death tolls - eg Czechia, Slovenia.. .

Could the UK have done better? For sure. But we were never going to do as well as all that

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

FPT

That is killing people.
    Yes, but to quote a famous question "What is Truth?"

Is it the truth to say "there is no published data showing how effective thisAZN vaccine is in the over 65's"? Or is it truth to say "there is no published evidence that the Pfizer vaccine is effective with a 12 week gap"?

A lot depends on how keen a person is on following the science, or how far they want to go in anticipating it. Extrapolating that hydroxychloroqine should be widely used, for example, on the basis of some lab work.

Of course, awaiting solid evidence has risks, but so too does acting on flimsy evidence. One of those risks is in the anticipation being wrong. That would be very damaging to the credibility of a vaccine programme.

So it comes down to philosophy. How much do we need to know in order to act? And that in turn comes down to attitude to risk. By the nature of this site, people here are risk takers who act on hunches, but is that a sound philosophy in other situations?

Well, quite. However, as a doctor, you will accept some things are true.
    The "it's flu, only the old, sick and obese die, and everyone else makes a full recovery, the hospitals are empty" are all untrue.
    Because of squeamishness, and a reluctance to call out a lie for what it is, we allowed these views to fester and germinate.
    The recent Newsnight report from the Covid ward would have been much more useful last March for example.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    edited January 2021
    rcs1000 said:

But when cases are low the line is "we don't need travel restrictions because cases are low and we all deserve a nice holiday, its good for the economy you know".

It should be easier to put the restrictions in when cases are high all over.

Are you on for my bet offer ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I seem to recall an infamous pb poster doing similar in the first lockdown, gallivanting to Wales and supermarkets the breadth of the country claiming to be a journalist......
  • Options

Johnson seems to have a real problem with the idea of almost completely suspending foreign travel, as if it wouldn't be the polite thing to do.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, and this was a rather good response...

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1354075804880285702?s=19
    Political nerds agree with chap who compiles election data and mapping, shocker :)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    glw said:

My pet theory is that the Tory Party is in beholden to airlines and airports, as I suspect they are significant donors and lobbyists, and so they keep prioritising the travel industry. Nothing else makes any sense. The airplanes can sit in the desert for a few years, the airports are going nowhere, yes those businesses will be destroyed, but new companies can pick up the pieces. Trying to save the travel industry at the expense of tens of thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of pounds is nuts.
    Don't discount the influence of the jet setting international oligarchy on Tory Party funds.
    Many of them have spent tens of millions on properties here precisely for times like these.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Johnson seems to have a real problem with the idea of almost completely suspending foreign travel, as if it wouldn't be the polite thing to do.
    Boris' problem is he is unwilling to be disliked, Priti like Thatcher could not care less if people dislike her if she is doing the right thing
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Then we can agree and draw a line in the sand.

Tempers are high, my blood was boiling when I wrote my last comment about schools and borders.
    Lockdown madness. I have several friends and family reporting depression/anger/sadness today. It just goes on and on, and the blues come in waves.

I have heard awful news of kids' mental health suffering, as well. Kids I have known for years. What a wretched time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Basically

Good cop, bad cop? Or visa versa, depending on perspective.

Agree with the Home Sec (and HYFUD) on this (I think) as a straightforward one-way-or-the-other proposition.

BUT that's rarely the (whole) situation in politics.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Andy_JS said:

If you go all the way back to his speech a year ago he made a big thing about taking a stand against travel restrictions and suggesting that this was the real threat and not the virus.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Basically

Hats off to you on this point HYUFD!
    I think Boris should be very, very worried by that!
  • Options
    The US healthcare system is so broken....

https://youtu.be/3gdCH1XUIlE
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited January 2021

Andy_JS said:

I seem to recall an infamous pb poster doing similar in the first lockdown, gallivanting to Wales and supermarkets the breadth of the country claiming to be a journalist......
    He obviously had a Damascene moment of shame and is now dedicating his life to providing flinty relief and comfort to literally dozens of people.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Yep.

Sheffield City Council deserve hearty congratulations.

For years I've wanted to visit their city, to go buy myself a bottle of Henderson's Relish, which I've heard is rather nice. Sadly, I've never made it there, because I don't know the way.

Now that Sheffield is "on the map", I feel confident of navigating there and acquiring said savoury condiment. No more will my fried pork and rice be bland and unappealing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I suspect his interpretation of 'key' senate rules differs from that of others.

I'm reminded of JRM making up constitutional precedents as to why even though she won a vote of no confidence May should resign.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Its the groupthink which amazes me.

Conservative MPs aren't usually reticent about complaining about things.

Yet apart from PP none of them seem to want foreign travel restrictions.
This discussion has been closed.