Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The storming of the Capitol building in DC – US polling reaction – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    What does closing the travel corridors mean in practice, unless the flights are quarantined for 14 days on arrival this seems like a "let's make it looks like we're doing something" policy.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Stocky said:

Advice about what to write on anniversary card to my wife. I`m crap at this.

Google suggestions include:

• You're the perfect one for me.
    • I love our life together.
    • You're an amazing wife.
    • I'm so lucky to have you in my life.
    • I love being married to you.
    • You're more beautiful now than ever.

I can`t bring myself to write any of that sappy stuff. And “so far so good” doesn`t seem adequate.

There must be a third way?

Edit: @Big_G_NorthWales you must be an authority on this.

May we ask how many years?
    18 years
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,843
    Stocky said:

I can`t bring myself to write any of that sappy stuff. And “so far so good” doesn`t seem adequate.

I looked at the universe and asked why was I here, then I met you and found my answer
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What does closing the travel corridors mean in practice, unless the flights are quarantined for 14 days on arrival this seems like a "let's make it looks like we're doing something" policy.

Anybody would think all those 10,000s of hotel rooms near airports are rammed full or something.
  • Options

More than 400,000 fingerprint, DNA, arrest and offence records may have been wiped from police databases following a technology blunder, The Times has learnt.

A letter to chief constables today revealed that the software error which deleted crucial evidence from the Police National Computer [PNC] could be far worse than first thought.

The arrest records were accidentally deleted during a weekly “weeding” session to expunge data from the PNC, which is owned and operated by the Home Office. DNA and fingerprint records were also removed because the databases holding them were connected to the PNC.

Naveed Malik, the NPCC’s lead for PNC, revealed to chiefs and police and crime commissioners today that 213,000 offence records, 175,000 arrest records and 15,000 person records have potentially been deleted in error from the system.

There could be overlap of information between these records as an individual’s arrest record could relate to multiple offences.

Mr Malik went on to reveal that around 26,000 DNA records relating to 21,710 people had potentially been deleted in error, alongside a further 30,000 fingerprint records and 600 subject records.

The government has said there is no risk to public safety since The Times revealed the breach today.

However Mr Malik’s letter said the deleted DNA records included some that had “previously been marked for indefinite retention following conviction of serious offences”.

There have already been crimefighting implications since last week’s blunder, amid fears that offenders could go free because biometric evidence left at crime scenes will not be flagged up on the PNC.

Mr Malik said that police were already aware of at least one instance where the DNA profile from a suspect in custody did not generate a match to a crime scene as expected, “potentially impeding the investigation of the individual’s involvement in the crime”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/home-office-data-wipe-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-0hsrb7mvn

Do they have no backup of this information at all?
    Quite. It's surely inconceivable that anyone would do a data weeding operation without first taking a backup, and indeed that that there wouldn't be multiple backups at multiple points in time. At least, it should be inconceivable.
    Richard/Francis.

My suspicion is that this was a rush job related to the purging of 40,000 EU related data records that the police had no right to following the Brexit deal.

Given they had to do this in just under a week, I suspect they messed it up, not only did they have to delete it, they had to delete all back ups.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

What does this "all travel corridors will close from Monday 4am" mean?

? What it says.

So every flight into the UK from anywhere in the world including all europe is a surprise but sensible NZ style policy
    All of Europe was already off the corridor list I think (maybe not Norway and Finland).
    Is it correct to say we have closed our borders like NZ did at the beginning of the crisis
    Not quite - as people can enter the country with a negative PCR test (or equivalent) and must also self-isolate 10 days (5 days with a further negative test).
    Thank you
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Stocky said:

? What it says.

So every flight into the UK from anywhere in the world including all europe is a surprise but sensible NZ style policy
    Boris closes the stable door 10 months after the horses have left. If he had done it when NZ did it we might now be looking at a few hundred deaths instead of 100,000.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,471

More than 400,000 fingerprint, DNA, arrest and offence records may have been wiped from police databases following a technology blunder, The Times has learnt.

A letter to chief constables today revealed that the software error which deleted crucial evidence from the Police National Computer [PNC] could be far worse than first thought.

The arrest records were accidentally deleted during a weekly “weeding” session to expunge data from the PNC, which is owned and operated by the Home Office. DNA and fingerprint records were also removed because the databases holding them were connected to the PNC.

Naveed Malik, the NPCC’s lead for PNC, revealed to chiefs and police and crime commissioners today that 213,000 offence records, 175,000 arrest records and 15,000 person records have potentially been deleted in error from the system.

There could be overlap of information between these records as an individual’s arrest record could relate to multiple offences.

Mr Malik went on to reveal that around 26,000 DNA records relating to 21,710 people had potentially been deleted in error, alongside a further 30,000 fingerprint records and 600 subject records.

The government has said there is no risk to public safety since The Times revealed the breach today.

However Mr Malik’s letter said the deleted DNA records included some that had “previously been marked for indefinite retention following conviction of serious offences”.

There have already been crimefighting implications since last week’s blunder, amid fears that offenders could go free because biometric evidence left at crime scenes will not be flagged up on the PNC.

Mr Malik said that police were already aware of at least one instance where the DNA profile from a suspect in custody did not generate a match to a crime scene as expected, “potentially impeding the investigation of the individual’s involvement in the crime”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/home-office-data-wipe-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-0hsrb7mvn

Quite. It's surely inconceivable that anyone would do a data weeding operation without first taking a backup, and indeed that that there wouldn't be multiple backups at multiple points in time. At least, it should be inconceivable.
    If I have it right, this database is run by the Home Office not the police, and is called NDNAD. Though individual records are owned by Police Forces.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

I looked at the universe and asked why was I here, then I met you and found my answer
    Jeez - I feel sick. That`s worse.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

chuckles but you are a man women seem to like that sort of thing
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

There's a reason some things only work in print.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Do they? Any women PBers to advise??
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Stocky said:

? What it says.

Boris closes the stable door 10 months after the horses have left. If he had done it when NZ did it we might now be looking at a few hundred deaths instead of 100,000.
    Seems unlikely. Cases were already well on the way up at that point.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,955
    edited January 2021

Richard/Francis.

My suspicion is that this was a rush job related to the purging of 40,000 EU related data records that the police had no right to following the Brexit deal.

Given they had to do this in just under a week, I suspect they messed it up, not only did they have to delete it, they had to delete all back ups.
    Great argument except that the need (or at least the likely need) to purge 40,000 EU related records has been known about for over 2 years.

I.e. this is a screw up that shouldn't have occurred.
  • Options
    Why is Boris banging on (at least twice now) about virus spread by touching surfaces and objects? I thought packaging and fomites had been found innocent early on. Has there been new research?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

you should @ cyclefree maybe
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    edited January 2021
    Johnson going on about contact transmission - is that still regarded as critical?

I thought airborne transmission was seen as the key vector?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Indeed and the best words to use

I LOVE YOU

And

YOU ARE SO SPECIAL

And

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING

xoxo

and here in Wales I would add

CARIAD

• Options

Stocky said:

? What it says.

It's not even really closed because we allow self certified quarantine. We essentially assume people will be honest.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

18 years
    Tell you what, I'd advise against going for '18 years, and no remission for good behaviour'.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Loving you is like pissing my pants, everyone can see it but only I can feel the warmth.

Or 'I want to be your favourite hello and your hardest goodbye.'

But I've got some awesome Valentine's Day messages, but it isn't the lagershed yet.

You are talking to the guy who promised his then girlfriend for Valentine's Day something no other woman had ever received in the history of Valentine's Day, so on Valentine's Day I gave her a bottle of toilet duck.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

If I may interject here. Don't use the 'asked the universe' thing, it made me queasy. Also maybe avoid 'with all best wishes etc'.

Women just like things that are genuine, so make sure it sounds like something you would actually say!

Not judging you at all, this is the sort of thing that I might well have googled as well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Stocky said:

? What it says.

The second wave can definitely be attributed to a rubbish travel and quarantine process.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

18 years
    If our marriage was a child, it would now be able to vote, get a tattoo and open a bank account in its own name. Loved every single year of it with you. Here's to the next 18.

And give her a big kiss on the bottom.

OF THE CARD.
  • Options

Drivers face £5.50 daily charge to enter London and Canary Wharf could move into zone one under TfL plans.

Other proposals to solve cash crisis include cutting bus services, increasing fares and delaying the reopening of the Night Tube

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/driver-550-daily-charge-greater-london-tube-zones-b899871.html

700k people have left London in the past year.

Because of transport costs and the congestion charge, obviously. Nothing to do with house prices and rental costs. Or all the Europeans and other migrants working in hospitality returning home because the hotels and the Prets are shedding labour.
    I never said the two were connected. Just saying London has lost a lot of people and now extra costs incoming for those that still live / work there.
    Well, with all that demand gone, rents should fall, which would be good news.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Stocky said:

? What it says.

The second wave can definitely be attributed to a rubbish travel and quarantine process.
    Yeah, I agree with that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Apparently the airlines have to see the test certificate and a completed locator form before they board
  • Options
    eek said:

Richard/Francis.

Great argument except that the need (or at least the likely need) to purge 40,000 EU related records has been known about for over 2 years.

The weekend before the deal the papers had stories saying we'd have mini deals in the event of No Deal to cover stuff like this.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Apparently the airlines have to see the test certificate and a completed locator form before they board
    It's a 97% specific and 80% sensitive test which is essentially worthless and there's a 72h window for people to catch it as well. The policy is completely useless.
  • Options
    eek said:

Richard/Francis.

Obviously it is a screw-up but @TheScreamingEagles' theory is plausible because it would explain why this is the first and only time this has happened. Perhaps a new, Brexit-mandated procedure (a one-off, ad-hoc job) either was badly coded so deleted more data than was intended, or was run against the wrong database.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It's a 97% specific and 80% sensitive test which is essentially worthless and there's a 72h window for people to catch it as well. The policy is completely useless.
    Even with that they have to quarantine on arrival for ten days. Five with a second negative test afterwards.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    Pagan2 said:

Stocky said:

Noooo. If I said that to my wife she would fall about laughing.

Fortunately for me our birthdays and our children's birthdays and our anniversary all occur within 9 days of one another so it just gets forgotten. In 2019 we celebrated wife's 60th, my 65th and our 25th anniversary (4 day range). And if anyone wonders why we got married on that date I got threatened with 'by your 40th birthday or else'. I celebrated my 40th on the plane to the honeymoon.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Even with that they have to quarantine on arrival for ten days. Five with a second negative test afterwards.
    Self certified quarantine which is worthless.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,180
    edited January 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Similar article to one posted yesterday.

"It’s Joe Biden’s job to put a stop to American carnage – and this is what he should say on 20 January
    The task of the president-elect’s inauguration speech is, as Lincoln said in 1865, “to bind up the nation’s wounds”.
    Philip Collins"

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2021/01/it-s-joe-biden-s-job-put-stop-american-carnage-and-what-he-should-say-20

Step 1 of detox imo HAS to be Trump and Trumpers conceding the election was free and fair and lost. After that all is possible in the best of all possible worlds. I have a line for Joe's big speech -

You drop the "steal" shit.
    We start the "heal" bit.
  • Options
    Is Marshall Law a bit like having the Covid marshalls over here?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There was a nebulous statement about increasing enforcement. Agree it is difficult, but hopefully most people try to stick to it as best they can.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941

Why is Boris banging on (at least twice now) about virus spread by touching surfaces and objects? I thought packaging and fomites had been found innocent early on. Has there been new research?

If the ship of state is as unwieldly as an oil tanker, then the ship of state-given-advice is even worse.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    edited January 2021

Maybe it was found to be an effective message to get people to change their behaviour generally.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There was a nebulous statement about increasing enforcement. Agree it is difficult, but hopefully most people try to stick to it as best they can.
    But we know they don't. The only way to ensure this is to close the border and only allow people in after 14 days mandatory quarantine at a hotel near the airport at the traveller's expense. Fuck the airports and airlines, we need to keep these variants out at any cost.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

Yup

Go full NZ.
  • Options

Under Marshall Law everything is coned off.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

18 years
    If our marriage was a child, it would now be able to vote, get a tattoo and open a bank account in its own name. Loved every single year of it with you. Here's to the next 18.

OF THE CARD.
    Thanks - I rather like that.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

18 years

OF THE CARD.
    Thanks - I rather like that.
    It is very good
  • Options

No, he's a Bruce Lee knock off in the Tekken series of videogames.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited January 2021
    Brittas on travel corridors: "right step, but slow again"

"The measures the Prime Minister has announced are the right measures."
  • Options

The big question is why would anyone want to go through the hassle
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Guernsey's found effective policing and £10,000 fines for breaches quite effective.

I guess the "effective policing" may be a challenge - in Guernsey the Border Force have carried out the UK equivalent of 867,000 visits to the quarantined in the last 14 days.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,135
    Now Boris has gone and done a full New Zealand travel ban, Starmer is saying we should do a full New Zealand travel ban.

What a plank!
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 895
    edited January 2021
    Is travel from Belfast or Dublin by ferry to Scotland / England banned now ?
  • Options

Now Boris has gone and done a full New Zealand travel ban, Starmer is saying we should do a full New Zealand travel ban.

What a plank!

He just is not cutting through, though I do accept it is a difficult balance

It seems Labour messages are always we have to spend a lot more and enforce the laws including closing everything down
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,471
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don't agree with that.

And I suspect the compliance figures would back me up.

Where was there better compliance with lockdown measures - UK or France, which was issuing about 100-1000x more fines in the early days?

Are there numbers for travel compliance?
  • Options

Is travel from Belfast or Dublin by ferry the Scotland / England banned now ?

The common travel area is unaffected as far as I know

Also the all travel ban is agreed by all 4 administrations and comes into force at the same time
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But we know they don't. The only way to ensure this is to close the border and only allow people in after 14 days mandatory quarantine at a hotel near the airport at the traveller's expense. Fuck the airports and airlines, we need to keep these variants out at any cost.
    New Zealand also charges those who come in for their quarantine - it's NZ$3100 per person for 14 days and NZ$4000 for a couple. They had some problems with individuals escaping the Auckland Hotels and spreading the virus round the country.

There is regular testing within the 14 day period and you are only allowed out if you test negative again after 14 days.
  • Options
    Having fun* with regards to move dates. Old sods selling to us insisted couldn't move until end of Jan and needed 3 weeks notice to a completion date. Have had either side of the first weekend in February on the table for ages. Then seller says Can we do the week after that? Hang on, we'll check. Takes our estate agent 4 days to hear back from our buyer that no, they need to complete to the original schedule.

So back we go to try and get the old sods to move when we'd proposed which was to their advised requirements. The problem is that they have been somewhat cantankerous when it comes to co-operating with this process - I don't think they have actually understood that yes we are buying their house and that means get ready to move.

We're largely boxed up already. Removal company just needs us to confirm when we're going (its a 2 day operation). So hurry up you old gits!
  • Options

Is travel from Belfast or Dublin by ferry the Scotland / England banned now ?

The common travel area is unaffected as far as I know

Also the all travel ban is agreed by all 4 administrations and comes into force at the same time
    Thanks

Got friends 'stuck' in Northern Ireland at the moment.

Not sure when they are coming back.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don't agree with that.

And I suspect the compliance figures would back me up.

Where was there better compliance with lockdown measures - UK or France, which was issuing about 100-1000x more fines in the early days?

Are there numbers for travel compliance?
    They wouldn't, a recent UCL study found that 40% of people admitted they don't isolate *after* a positive test. The isolation rates for quarantine will be even lower, unless you think people coming from New York for 4 days spend all of it alone in a hotel room. It's this kind of unbelievably naive thinking that has led to the wholesale importation of cases and variants.
  • Options

What a plank!

He just is not cutting through, though I do accept it is a difficult balance

It seems Labour messages are always we have to spend a lot more and enforce the laws including closing everything down
    The problem is Boris has just come up with an awesome idea, that Starmer hadn't thought of until after Boris announced it.
  • Options

Having fun* with regards to move dates. Old sods selling to us insisted couldn't move until end of Jan and needed 3 weeks notice to a completion date. Have had either side of the first weekend in February on the table for ages. Then seller says Can we do the week after that? Hang on, we'll check. Takes our estate agent 4 days to hear back from our buyer that no, they need to complete to the original schedule.

So back we go to try and get the old sods to move when we'd proposed which was to their advised requirements. The problem is that they have been somewhat cantankerous when it comes to co-operating with this process - I don't think they have actually understood that yes we are buying their house and that means get ready to move.

We're largely boxed up already. Removal company just needs us to confirm when we're going (its a 2 day operation). So hurry up you old gits!

Apart from your rather grumpy tone if you have entered a contact to sell and purchase a date will be in the contracts and it is non negotiable

Or are you still subject to contact in England, in which case you run the risk of your buyer walking away.

And are you legally committed to your purchase in Scotland and to the date as Scots law is different
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

New Zealand also charges those who come in for their quarantine - it's NZ$3100 per person for 14 days and NZ$4000 for a couple. They had some problems with individuals escaping the Auckland Hotels and spreading the virus round the country.

There is regular testing within the 14 day period and you are only allowed out if you test negative again after 14 days.
    Yes, I'm suggesting we have the same policy and charge people as part of the ticketing process.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,658
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder which PBer voted for up to 72 hours ...
  • Options
    What have the Celts, Romans, Norse, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Irish, Jews, Huguenots, Indians, Africans, Pakistanis, Chinese and West Indians ever done for us?

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1350115978689073155?s=20
  • Options

While Starmer is clearly sub-Corbyn useless, the Chris Barrie character reference is as poor as Starmer undoubtedly is
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    I remember when I consistently worked 100 hour weeks.

It was great for career progression, have to admit, not something I'm keen to experience again.
  • Options

What have the Celts, Romans, Norse, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Irish, Jews, Huguenots, Indians, Africans, Pakistanis, Chinese and West Indians ever done for us?

Is this the latest Jacobite rising?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

While Starmer is clearly sub-Corbyn useless, the Chris Barrie character reference is as poor as Starmer undoubtedly is
    Starmer is doing well. Boris is doing well. Almost all politicians in the UK are doing well. These are very testing times and they're passing the tests - clearly no A's will be awarded though.

• Options

We're holding Arnold Rimmer in reserve....

• Options

Looks a bit Hanoverian to me..
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538

Yes, I think the frequent references to Gordon Brittas by a handful of posters are tiresome (and rather childish, even).

This forum is a bit cliquey at times. New posters, or those who visit infrequently, wouldn't, I suspect, understand the reference.
  • Options

No, it's one of those fronts that think the BNP is a woke organisation.

James Goddard joined them today.
  • Options

How about Ace Rimmer?

'Smoke me some Kippers...'
  • Options

Yes, I think the frequent references to Gordon Brittas by a handful of posters are tiresome (and rather childish, even).

This forum is a bit cliquey at times. New posters, or those who visit infrequently, wouldn't, I suspect, understand the reference.
    It's the new Keith Starmer which was a rip roaring success.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

I presume he is moaning that we aren't doing 500k/day vaccinations and would be if only we did 24/7. He did a hashtag and everything, that meant he would have achieved it.
  • Options

patriotic: From French patriotique, from Late Latin patriōticus
    alternative: From Middle French alternatif, from Medieval Latin alternātīvus (“alternating”), from the participle stem of Latin alternō (“interchange, alternate”)
    indigenous: Borrowed from Late Latin indigenus
    Britons: From Old French Breton, from Latin Britto
    built: From Middle English bilden, from Old English byldan (“to build, construct”), from Proto-Germanic *buþlijaną (“to build”)
    Britain: From Middle English Breteyn, from Old English Breoton, Bryten etc., from Latin Britannia
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    That screenshot looks all faded, I thought it was a painting from the 1800s
    To be fair, Nancy has been leader of the House Dems for an awfully long time, so it's perfectly possible.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    When I were a lad, I dreamed of a 72 hour week.

I once worked a 132 hour week for a cardiology job, but fortunately as locum so paid by the hour. I bought a BMW after the first few weeks.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Nor anyone under 35.
  • Options

I feel something rising...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951
    MaxPB said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, I'm suggesting we have the same policy and charge people as part of the ticketing process.
    I would be a little more generous: so, I would have tests 48 hours before hand to even go to the airport, plus antigen before getting on the plane.

Upon landing everyone would get an additional PCR test and would be shuttled to their hotel. Assuming that those PCR tests were all negative, and that everyone from the plane tested negative again at five days, I'd let people go then.

If, obviously, anyone tested postive upon landing, or after five days in the hotel, then the entire passenger list would be quarantined for two weeks.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538

Well at least we know who that refers to. Gordon Brittas? I'd never heard of him. Suggests a bit of a struggle to land heavy gloves on Keith Keir.
  • Options

There's a strong sense of some people trying to make it "happen". It doesn't work; the fact they keep trying shows a little lack ideas right now.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

I feel something rising...
    Some things should be kept to yourself.
  • Options

How about Ace Rimmer?

'Smoke me some Kippers...'
    "Ace would never be able to return to his own reality....."
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Max

Good numbers indeed. Remember that much of Yorkshire was under heavy snowfall yesterday. Impressive return.

Now, let’s target 400k/day!
  • Options

Well at least we know who that refers to. Gordon Brittas? I'd never heard of him. Suggests a bit of a struggle to land heavy gloves on Keith Keir.
    I was around in the Eighties, but the reference is lost on me. Though as the show was the Brittas Empire, it might shore up support for SKS with the flag enthusiasts.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:
    "When it is only by rigorous analysis of the way the world is changing that we have any prospect of securing our future".

The significance of that, fundamentally, is that he's still selling the same globalisation cure-all as he was in the late '90s. That has very little public, popular mileage on either the modern right or left now, compared to 20 years ago, and for fairly understandable reasons since 2008.

It does have rather a lot more in common with the vision of some of the more radical Brexiters that he might care to admit, though.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I seem to remember a TV show called Marshall Law. Probably on the early days of Channel 5.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    I really would love to see someone of Blair's calibre in charge right now.
  • Options

I really would love to see someone of Blair's calibre in charge right now.
    We are from very different political points of view but on this I agree
  • Options
    How long until rejoining the single market is mainstream?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/fisherman-tells-james-obrien-brexit-deal-is-total-lunacy-for-uk-fisheries/

Caller Robin has been in the industry for 45 years - he explains to LBC that voting for Brexit in the name of fishing is "total lunacy."

British fisherman have accused Boris Johnson of dishonesty and betrayal over his fishing deal.

Robin said: "To fix this, there is only one fix: we must rejoin the customs union and the single market, it's that simple. It's not complicated, that is the bottom line."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,658
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    When I were a lad, I dreamed of a 72 hour week.

I once worked a 132 hour week for a cardiology job, but fortunately as locum so paid by the hour. I bought a BMW after the first few weeks.
    I did wonder about the hospital medics!
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I seem to remember a TV show called Marshall Law. Probably on the early days of Channel 5.
    There was one with Hong Kong star Sammo Hung as a Chinese cop working in america. It was hilarious, he could use anything as a weapon.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021

Once you have heard the voice / tone of both, its immediately obvious. They also look a bit alike.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

18 years
    Congratulations. We've been married 18 years too (together for 26). I can't advise as I have never bought my wife an anniversary card, sorry!
This discussion has been closed.