Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Six hours to go before Georgia voting closes and the pressure builds on Pence who oversees tomorrow’

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    DougSeal said:

@rjps @Chameleon Donald Trump is entitled to seek to register as a British citizen - but he isn’t one now. When Donald Trump was born in 1946, although his mother remained a British subject, she would have been unable to pass on that nationality, as at that time British nationality law was discriminatory in only permitting transmission by descent in the male line (section 1(1)(b) Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914).

To correct the gender discrimination that existed in British nationality law, section 4C of the British Nationality Act provides a route for a person born outside the United Kingdom prior to 1983, where born to a UK-born mother, to apply for registration by entitlement as a British citizen. It is this provision that provides Trump’s route to British citizenship, as it requires former nationality laws to be read to provide for citizenship by descent from a mother, as they provide for citizenship by descent from a father. To succeed Mr. Trump must also satisfy the Secretary of State that he is a man of good character.

He has held the most powerful office in the USA, clearly a sign of being of good character.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    DougSeal said:

@rjps @Chameleon Donald Trump is entitled to seek to register as a British citizen - but he isn’t one now. When Donald Trump was born in 1946, although his mother remained a British subject, she would have been unable to pass on that nationality, as at that time British nationality law was discriminatory in only permitting transmission by descent in the male line (section 1(1)(b) Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914).

To correct the gender discrimination that existed in British nationality law, section 4C of the British Nationality Act provides a route for a person born outside the United Kingdom prior to 1983, where born to a UK-born mother, to apply for registration by entitlement as a British citizen. It is this provision that provides Trump’s route to British citizenship, as it requires former nationality laws to be read to provide for citizenship by descent from a mother, as they provide for citizenship by descent from a father. To succeed Mr. Trump must also satisfy the Secretary of State that he is a man of good character. That’s the test Fayed failed.

Didn't he move the Churchill bust back into the Oval Office? I'd let him in just for that.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

To correct the gender discrimination that existed in British nationality law, section 4C of the British Nationality Act provides a route for a person born outside the United Kingdom prior to 1983, where born to a UK-born mother, to apply for registration by entitlement as a British citizen. It is this provision that provides Trump’s route to British citizenship, as it requires former nationality laws to be read to provide for citizenship by descent from a mother, as they provide for citizenship by descent from a father. To succeed Mr. Trump must also satisfy the Secretary of State that he is a man of good character. That’s the test Fayed failed.

So what you're saying is that the British state, directed by the Duke of Edinburgh, will organise the death of one of the Trump children?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,757
    edited January 2021
    rpjs said:

Chameleon said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I hope everyone's ready for the glacial Georgia vote counting machine to grind into action again.

Stop the count!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346521447649390606?s=20
    Aren't they already suing him? Maybe he is beyond caring?
    He'll be in seclusion in Scotland, why should he worry?
    Is he terrifically popular in Scotland? I thought there was a problem with a golf club of his.
    More his behaviour with the natives at all levels.

The problem is that unless Mr T is genuinely movcing house he can't legally leave the airport - and neither can his entourage, and they can't all be moving house can they? Also he loses diplomatic immunity the next day.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as Trump's mother was born in the United Kingdom, does he not legally possess British citizenship by descent?
    He can't just say I'm British and expect to immediately have* the privilages that British citizens "enjoy". He would need to apply for citizenship first.

If he is in the UK for the inauguration and charges are immediately filed in the US against him, I understand that there is a room going spare in the Ecuadorian Embassy, where he can evade extradition!

*I reserve the right to deliberately split infinitives.
    Are you sure about that?

My understanding is that if one of your parents was born in the UK, you are automatically a British citizen, regardless of whether you have a passport or not.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent

> You were born outside the UK
    British citizenship is normally automatically passed down one generation to children born outside the UK.

For example, you might automatically become a citizen if you’re born outside the UK to a British parent.

Ergo, unless Trump has renounced his citizenship, he's a British citizen.
    Not so.

"You may automatically be a British citizen if you were born before 1 January 1983 and:
    - you were born outside the UK
    - your father is British. "

If you’re not automatically a citizen [but] You may be eligible to apply for citizenship if either:

- your parents were not married when you were born
    - your mother was British, not your father

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-before-1983

Sexist, but there it is.
    Ah, I missed the "apply" bit. So Trump is NOT British but could apply for it.
    In which case he is too late to get a passport, unless his best mate Mr Johnson is keen to help.

Edit: Or Mr. Gove. But that still doesn't get him out of the airport legally.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,431
    I'd be fine for Trump to come to the UK - he's very wealthy and would spend a lot of money here. I don't think he'd be made very welcome outside his own resorts though. There is a large proportion of the US public that 'gets' and likes Trump (and a large proportion that hates him) - over here there just isn't the former group.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    When Britain sneezes America catches a cold.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    If Trump could and were to become a British citizen, I assume he could still be extradited to the US for his crimes there.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Even if the government won't do it at airports, one ferry operator is doing it at ports:

https://twitter.com/ITVChannelTV/status/1346347283575672833?s=20
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,634
    Scott_xP said:
    Yeah. Mrs Foxy is being redeployed to our expanded covid ICU, as we are taking patients from down South as overflow. Must be pretty grim down there.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I'd be fine for Trump to come to the UK - he's very wealthy and would spend a lot of money here. I don't think he'd be made very welcome outside his own resorts though. There is a large proportion of the US public that 'gets' and likes Trump (and a large proportion that hates him) - over here there just isn't the former group.

Not sure he would spend a lot of money ... and his American legal chums such as Mr Giuliani can't practise in Scotland.
  • Options

Actually that probably isn't true - there is a fairly small group of Oakeshots/Farages/Hopkins's etc. for whom palling around with Mr. President would hold a certain attraction. Probably enough to be fairly happy living on the Wentworth Estate or similar where members of the public are few.
  • Options
    I wonder if it originated in the Balkans and then spread by migrant workers and returning holidaymakers.

Several countries in that area have gone from very few deaths in spring to very high deaths now:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/slovenia/
  • Options

We would spend tens of millions on policing and courts costs if Trump settled here. He would leave thousands of contractors, customers and employees with bad debt. Being rich is no guarantee of being an economic contributor to a country.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
  • Options

We would spend tens of millions on policing and courts costs if Trump settled here. He would leave thousands of contractors, customers and employees with bad debt. Being rich is no guarantee of being an economic contributor to a country.
    What's the law on having armed US Secret Service officers traipsing around the UK for a non-current POTUS?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I love a good boundary change. Thank goodness these ones will actually lead to something and all their work won't be wasted this time.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1346571172641726471?s=20

All we know was it was identified in Britain - which, given we're doing over 40% of the global genomic sequencing is far from surprising.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Not sure he would spend a lot of money ... and his American legal chums such as Mr Giuliani can't practise in Scotland.
    They can't practise successfully in the US either, judging by their track record.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,224
    Prior SARS-CoV-2 infection is associated with protection against symptomatic reinfection

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30781-7/fulltext
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I'm pretty sure even keeping the Trump entourage running entails a good bit of expenditure. I'd actually sooner he brings his money here than Switzerland. More of our people will get a job through it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929

Nigelb said:
    That's a very pretty hall. I thought it was the Musikverein in Vienna for a moment.
    Is that where the Philharmonic play? I made the conductor duck the other night by lobbing my rolled up socks at him!

https://twitter.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1345131005842227207?s=20
  • Options

Yeah, but it would be worth it for the fun of following him around with a giant inflatable trump baby in a nappy...
  • Options
    Did Whitty/Vallance make a projections on cases for the next month in today's press conference?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

What's the law on having armed US Secret Service officers traipsing around the UK for a non-current POTUS?
    Dont know but think we are understandably more relaxed about this since 9-11. If Trump was here and it was secret service I dont see why we would object - if it was private security its more of an issue.
  • Options

I doubt it, but you may have a point. Afaik, he is already a considerable investor in Scotland.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    ?? I don't detect any SeanT on the sherry moments in those Tweets?
  • Options

All we know was it was identified in Britain - which, given we're doing over 40% of the global genomic sequencing is far from surprising.
    I know, one of my friends is working on that, in a bit of dark humour he hopes the South Africa variant is the one associated with the second wave.

We don't want to be the new Spanish Flu.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I'm pretty sure even keeping the Trump entourage running entails a good bit of expenditure. I'd actually sooner he brings his money here than Switzerland. More of our people will get a job through it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/04/trump-scottish-golf-courses-another-year-losses-turnberry
  • Options

Prior SARS-CoV-2 infection is associated with protection against symptomatic reinfection

Good news
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    edited January 2021

I doubt it, but you may have a point. Afaik, he is already a considerable investor in Scotland.
    By 2016 he had been in 3500 court cases. He is not going to stop that habit. The pace our courts work at best if we build an equivalent to a nightingale hospital to deal with the overflow.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    It aint over 'till the fat lady sing sings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Sing
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    What a silly tweet. Of course BBC London would have broadcast it. As a Unionist, he should have claimed that BBC Scotland is only good for the local news.
  • Options

I wonder if it originated in the Balkans and then spread by migrant workers and returning holidaymakers.

Several countries in that area have gone from very few deaths in spring to very high deaths now:

Nervtag seem pretty certain that it is of genuine British origin. None of your foreign muck.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/mutant-coronavirus-variant-began-just-23211337
  • Options

Yay, I'm immune from Cockney Covid.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    A voting winning policy post December 2019.

https://twitter.com/RedLabour_/status/1346543488251387904

A swamp might need draining.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Dont know but think we are understandably more relaxed about this since 9-11. If Trump was here and it was secret service I dont see why we would object - if it was private security its more of an issue.
    It's when it starts costing the Scottish taxpayer that it also becomes an issue.
  • Options

By 2016 he had been in 3500 court cases. He is not going to stop that habit.
    At his own expense though surely? A boon for our beleaguered legal eagles mourning the loss of the EU?

And to @Carnyx, if Turnberry has been making a loss for that many years, that is the definition of Trump pumping money in.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,992
    Is there a daily ticker of UK vaccinations I can access anywhere?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yeah. Mrs Foxy is being redeployed to our expanded covid ICU, as we are taking patients from down South as overflow. Must be pretty grim down there.
    Our local hospital was in the past taking excess cases from other areas - now they have to pass their excess cases on.
  • Options

At his own expense though surely? A boon for our beleaguered legal eagles mourning the loss of the EU?

And to @Carnyx, if Turnberry has been making a loss for that many years, that is the definition of Trump pumping money in.
    Not necessarily, he may have taken out loans, remortgages, extensions of credit, and many other things without him putting in a single dollar penny.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:
    Reading between the lines. How many reviews have they done that haven't been implemented? :p
  • Options

From next Monday.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nervtag seem pretty certain that it is of genuine British origin. None of your foreign muck.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/mutant-coronavirus-variant-began-just-23211337
    If so then we lack an explanation for how infection soared in other European countries while things were increasing much slower in the UK.

It also means that other European countries remain especially vulnerable to the new variant.
  • Options

Which started in Kentucky.....

• Options

Not yet. Update on Thursday, daily from next Monday.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

On the gov dashboard from next Monday I believe.
  • Options

Which started in Kentucky.....

Indeed, but nobody calls it Kentucky Flu.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    dr_spyn said:

This is why Labour worry me - the loons are still there
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    dr_spyn said:

The hairstyle makes me fear his next Labour Conference speech could look like this

I'm down wiv da kidsh, I l play 5 a shide at the Talacre!
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited January 2021
    Pitching the $2000 and Vaccination was a massive final close by the Democrats: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/georgia-democrats-close-populist-pitch-vowing-2-000-stimulus-checks-n1252805

This reminds me of Labour's Tax Bombshell. Health and Wealth. Direct.

I am now cautiously optimistic that the Democrats will win both Senate races having previously been dubious that they would do so, even though I'm on Jon Ossoff at 3/1. Did I mention that before? :wink:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited January 2021

Actually that probably isn't true - there is a fairly small group of Oakeshots/Farages/Hopkins's etc. for whom palling around with Mr. President would hold a certain attraction. Probably enough to be fairly happy living on the Wentworth Estate or similar where members of the public are few.
    Isn't Trump now hopelessly addicted to public worship? Even non-worshipful attention seems to get him off.
  • Options

Not necessarily, he may have taken out loans, remortgages, extensions of credit, and many other things without him putting in a single dollar penny.
    If the loans are American, and the money is being spent on UK bricks and mortar and golf courses, I see no issue.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Toms said:

It aint over 'till the fat lady sing sings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Sing

Just a few miles from where I am. It's the origin of the phrase "to be sent up the river" as it's about 30 miles up the Hudson from New York City. Another fun fact: the prison grounds are split into two sections by the Metro-North Hudson line commuter rail. There are heavily fortified bridges over the railway.
  • Options

You think our court costs are matched by contributions from participants? They are chronically underfunded already, hence so slow. Adding 50-100 frivolous Trump cases a year would stop others receiving justice.
  • Options
    Floater said:

dr_spyn said:

This is why Labour worry me - the loons are still there
    Just seen him on BBC in front of the union jack as shown and demonstrating the last time was not a one off

He knows he can only win from the centre and the last Labour politician to do just that was Tony Blair

Maybe Tony is advising him
  • Options

If the loans are American, and the money is being spent on UK bricks and mortar and golf courses, I see no issue.
    They are more likely to be Russian!
  • Options
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the UK Government is about to fuel the deaths of millions of people.

How so?

The self prescribed and unmedical delay between no. 1 Pfizer jab and no. 2 Pfizer jab could be just about perfect for creating a viral mutant strain that is impervious to vaccination.
  • Options

It's not his money, it's probably Deutsche Bank money, and Trump has a history of defaults which end up costing the local/regional/national governments.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It's when it starts costing the Scottish taxpayer that it also becomes an issue.
    Interestingly there is one President, and one only, in history who has voluntarily given up Secret Service protection a few years after leaving office and replaced it with private bodyguards specifically to save the taxpayer money.

If only Richard Nixon has been that selfless the rest of the time.
  • Options

So? Not sustainable. Doesn't make sense. That's being a "loser".
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,154
    RobD said:

RobD said:
    Reading between the lines. How many reviews have they done that haven't been implemented? :p
    Ah, you meant pissed off.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited January 2021

Not until Monday
    EDIT: Already answered
  • Options

They are more likely to be Russian!
    The same applies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

He's got it over his left shoulder, what more do they want?

Anyone getting that upset at a flag, or absence of a flag, needs to calm the heck down.

But we need to disect this scene further.

The desk is entirely clear of obstructions, showing his intention to provide simple, clear policies and communication in contrast to his opponent.

The lamp is off to the right and slightly green, showing both his willingness to reach out to voters on the right but also his committment to green issues. It's also illuminating a number of books, showcasing he is learned man, but unlike Boris is not gratuitous in throwing it in people's faces - the books are discreetly placed, modest in number.

The fireplace is walled off, another nod to the need to be green, but it's retained as a feature of the room to show his respect for heritage. It is black, a nod to Labour's history supporting coal miners and that he has the back, as it were, of the black community.

Lastly, directly above his head is the clock, highlighting that he is a man for this moment, and aware of this historic importance of leading in these difficult times. The clock is almost out of reach, to show he knows he has not seized the moment yet, but it is a goal to accomplish, together with the audience.
    Brilliant!! :lol: There's a wonderful episode of Yes Prime Minister in similar vein. Avant garde, flashy setting for a very boring broadcast or dull as ditchwater for something incredibly radical!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Interestingly there is one President, and one only, in history who has voluntarily given up Secret Service protection a few years after leaving office and replaced it with private bodyguards specifically to save the taxpayer money.

Also - am I right in thinking Mr Trump only has diplomatic immunity while he is actual President?
  • Options

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the UK Government is about to fuel the deaths of millions of people.

How so?

The self prescribed and unmedical delay between no. 1 Pfizer jab and no. 2 Pfizer jab could be just about perfect for creating a viral mutant strain that is impervious to vaccination.
    The hyperbole is unhelpful. You really don't know what you're talking about. There are pros and cons and no strategy is riskless, but leave it to the experts.

--AS
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    dr_spyn said:

SKS is overdoing the red, white & blue.

Aside from his enormous flag, he seems to have colour-coded his attire. Red tie, white shirt, blue suit.

And should SKS' face really be so ... err .. gammony. It is nearly as bloodied-red as his flag.

I suppose some spin doctor has told him to do this ... but normally, you are better off defining yourself to the voters rather than letting a spinner do it.

That way lies the Ed Stone.
  • Options
    And for those expecting a speedy result ... breaking just now on CNN:

Gabriel Sterling, the voting systems implementation manager for the Georgia Secretary of State's office, told reporters that if he were the betting type, he would anticipate that it will be a couple of days until the final tallies are known in Georgia.

That's right. A couple of days.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Best of luck to both of you.

--AS
    She had it in November, so is pretty OK about redeployment again.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nixon was a complex man.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Not sustainable - potentially. Doesn't make sense - potentially. 'Loser' - perhaps. All irrelevant. If these are the case, Trump goes out of business, and others can buy his materially improved luxury resorts and golf courses and make money out of them. The investment is the point.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Best of luck to both of you.

--AS
    She had it in November, so is pretty OK about redeployment again.
    Actually I was thinking more of the emotional and physical toll than the COVID risk, to be honest!

--AS
  • Options

How so?

The hyperbole is unhelpful. You really don't know what you're talking about. There are pros and cons and no strategy is riskless, but leave it to the experts.

--AS
    The experts on this are Pfizer who have made it quite clear that there is no clinical data for the route the UK Gov't are headed down.

And I have been following the concern of scientists, the experts, on this very point for the last 48 hours.

So stuff you. 'Doctor knows best' died a death with Harold Shipman and his victims.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Chameleon said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I hope everyone's ready for the glacial Georgia vote counting machine to grind into action again.

Stop the count!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346521447649390606?s=20
    Aren't they already suing him? Maybe he is beyond caring?
    He'll be in seclusion in Scotland, why should he worry?
    Is he terrifically popular in Scotland? I thought there was a problem with a golf club of his.
    More his behaviour with the natives at all levels.

The problem is that unless Mr T is genuinely movcing house he can't legally leave the airport - and neither can his entourage, and they can't all be moving house can they? Also he loses diplomatic immunity the next day.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as Trump's mother was born in the United Kingdom, does he not legally possess British citizenship by descent?
    He can't just say I'm British and expect to immediately have* the privilages that British citizens "enjoy". He would need to apply for citizenship first.

If he is in the UK for the inauguration and charges are immediately filed in the US against him, I understand that there is a room going spare in the Ecuadorian Embassy, where he can evade extradition!

*I reserve the right to deliberately split infinitives.
    Are you sure about that?

My understanding is that if one of your parents was born in the UK, you are automatically a British citizen, regardless of whether you have a passport or not.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent

> You were born outside the UK
    British citizenship is normally automatically passed down one generation to children born outside the UK.

For example, you might automatically become a citizen if you’re born outside the UK to a British parent.

Ergo, unless Trump has renounced his citizenship, he's a British citizen.
    Not so.

"You may automatically be a British citizen if you were born before 1 January 1983 and:
    - you were born outside the UK
    - your father is British. "

If you’re not automatically a citizen [but] You may be eligible to apply for citizenship if either:

- your parents were not married when you were born
    - your mother was British, not your father

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-before-1983

Sexist, but there it is.
    Not sexist... more certainty as to who the birth mother is than the biological father
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Aside from his enormous flag, he seems to have colour-coded his attire. Red tie, white shirt, blue suit.

And should SKS' face really be so ... err .. gammony. It is nearly as bloodied-red as his flag.

I suppose some spin doctor has told him to do this ... but normally, you are better off defining yourself to the voters rather than letting a spinner do it.

I agree. Trying too hard is never a good look.
  • Options

It's not his money, it's probably Deutsche Bank money, and Trump has a history of defaults which end up costing the local/regional/national governments.
    Reminds me of the local builder who repeatedly sets up new ltd companies, bankrupting the old one, running off with client funds and stock, and leaving creditors out of pocket, just on an epic scale.
  • Options

How so?

--AS
    MysticRose has been epically wrong on Covid-19 in the past.

Last February wrote a thread header warning us about the dangers of the looming Covid-19 pandemic.

MysticRose said he sounded like a cross between Private Frazer and Eeyore.

So don't waste your time with her.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Carnyx said:

Not sustainable - potentially. Doesn't make sense - potentially. 'Loser' - perhaps. All irrelevant. If these are the case, Trump goes out of business, and others can buy his materially improved luxury resorts and golf courses and make money out of them. The investment is the point.
    (a) if he were to go bust, a lot of people - including the UK and Scxottish exchequers - will lose out.
    (b) the business model may not be sustainable, in which case much or all of the investment is worthless. For instance, IIRC the tooth-sucking by Ayrshire estate agents over the plans to build houses at Turnberry is based on ther view that the market is not there for so many houses.

Edit: checked the latter - https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/trump-golf/

Not sure of the current situation, mind.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,214
    Scott_xP said:
    This is a sad story, at first glance, but it has just occurred to me that, age and health permitting, you will still be posting about Brexit in the late 2030s, won't you?

Is that a wise use of your remaining time?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

I agree. Trying too hard is never a good look.
    “Hell yes, I’m patriotic enough”
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Foxy said:

If so then we lack an explanation for how infection soared in other European countries while things were increasing much slower in the UK.

It also means that other European countries remain especially vulnerable to the new variant.
    The less of a first wave there was, the more governments and people convinced themselves that they were immune or better at handling it or something, whereas it was all just a question of how far the virus happened to have spread when everyone locked down.

We were a bit more careful to start with in the autumn, then got careless anyway, and finally got hit with the new strain. As will everyone else in due course.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    As last time this came up its bollocks

He is on epidyolex

as mention in this quote
    "Cannabis is also being grown legally in the UK for another medicine, Epidiolex."

from article
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44197038

It is made by this firm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW_Pharmaceuticals

A british manufacturer.

There is no reason we need to import it
    Shifting severely ill patients between non-synthetic patients is not trivial

But it’s largely special pleading in this article
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dr_spyn said:

My recollection is that the Ed stone was ed's own private initiative and caused rage and despair among his handlers and spinners.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

And for those expecting a speedy result ... breaking just now on CNN:

Gabriel Sterling, the voting systems implementation manager for the Georgia Secretary of State's office, told reporters that if he were the betting type, he would anticipate that it will be a couple of days until the final tallies are known in Georgia.

That's right. A couple of days.

For the final tallies perhaps, but if 98% is counted by the morning and we know where the final 2% is from then we'll almost certainly know the result.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    BBC News: 25% of over 80s have had the vaccine.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    As last time this came up its bollocks

He is on epidyolex

as mention in this quote
    "Cannabis is also being grown legally in the UK for another medicine, Epidiolex."

from article
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44197038

It is made by this firm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW_Pharmaceuticals

A british manufacturer.

There is no reason we need to import it
    The point is that there are different preparations and some work better than others.
    Besides which we will still be importing medecines from the eu so sounds to me like someone at the nhs playing silly buggers because they have an objection to cannabis based drugs more than it is a cannot import situation.
    They want to use an unapproved medicine in the U.K.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

My recollection is that the Ed stone was ed's own private initiative and caused rage and despair among his handlers and spinners.
    Torsten Bell says hello

https://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/news/edstone-architect-torsten-bell-‘lots-ideas-politics-come-and-go’

If we get things like the Ed Stone and 'Hell, yes' back, then Starmer's tenure will have been a success regardless of electoral outcome.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

(a) if he goes bust, a lot of people - including the UK and Scxottish exchequers - will lose out.
    (b) the business model may not be sustainable, in which case much or all of the investment is worthless. For instance, the tooth-sucking by Ayrshire estate agents over the plans to build houses at Turnberry is based on ther view that the market is not there.
    If his creditors are primarily outside the UK, and his material improvements and people he's employing in his struggling resorts are within the UK, that is a big net gain. The housing industry has a business model where they like to build a couple of properties, lay off the workers till they sell, and then build more, all the while claiming the stocks of houses are low - that is how they work. It keeps prices nice and high and saves money. In that, Turnberry is now different to anywhere in the UK.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

How so?

--AS
    MysticRose has been epically wrong on Covid-19 in the past.

Last February wrote a thread header warning us about the dangers of the looming Covid-19 pandemic.

MysticRose said he sounded like a cross between Private Frazer and Eeyore.

So don't waste your time with her.
    Bog off TSE. You know as well as I do that I had one dodgy aberration but for the most part from January onwards, like Sean T, I was warning repeatedly on this and have done repeatedly since. All the time. Someone even very kindly dug out my posts to that effect which you have chosen to ignore even though you know them to be true. That's why I bought my face mask in January ahead of my trip to Asia at the start of February.

You really don't forgive do you? This malicious message is all really because I suggested that you're not as good a writer as you seem to think you are.

This discussion has been closed.