Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Democrats edge into the lead in latest polls for Tuesday’s Georgia runoffs – politicalbetting.co

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    The world could not be this lucky could it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqqZtGbODs&feature=emb_logo
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,382
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Just watching the end of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.

Good to see such meticulous historical accuracy...

Good fun if you suspend your brain
    Sadly, half of Alan Rickman’s scenes ended on the cutting room floor, so far did he upstage Costner.
    Even worse this version today cut a lot of his best lines from the film because of when it was shown.
    Surely not “and bring your friend “.
    It was 'bring a friend'. Tut tut. Gotta get those quotes right.
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Just watching the end of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.

Good to see such meticulous historical accuracy...

Good fun if you suspend your brain
    Sadly, half of Alan Rickman’s scenes ended on the cutting room floor, so far did he upstage Costner.
    Even worse this version today cut a lot of his best lines from the film because of when it was shown.
    Surely not “and bring your friend “.
    It was 'bring a friend'. Tut tut. Gotta get those quotes right.
    Grovel. In fairness I haven’t seen it for several years.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Fran C Stole My Soap
    @TworandN

Rule Britannia?

Sending a 5kg package from UK to Belgium cost £13 two weeks ago. Now it costs £44.

Well done Brexiteers. You certainly showed them.

I call bullshit. I just went to parcel2go and got them to quote for a 5kg package (30cmx30cmx30cm).

£18.94 with Parcelforce 3 day delivery.

This is such a dumb lie to make because it is so easy to check.
    I'll never understand why people make up anecdotes which can be very quickly refuted. There's an art to making this stuff up, as my taxi driver told me the other day.
    Was he Albanian, by any chance?
    No, amazingly he was a Pitcairn Islander.
    Surprised he passed the DRB check...
    Mixing up your initials there.

The CRB became the DBS.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    I guess I'm a Leaver who doesn't fall into the Covidiot camp.

I express my idiocy in other ways.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RHPOT is Die Hard set in the 13th century.

Forsooth, m****r-f****r!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    kle4 said:

Ooh, that could be interesting.

(Thinks about putting a fiver on Bailey).
  • Options

Yes, you put pineapple on your pizzas.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Although it was fuzzier earlier on in the crisis, there is quite a correlation between Brexitism and Covidiocy.

Good to see a Tory MP trying to hold the Telegraph to account.

https://twitter.com/neildotobrien/status/1345027748432142337?s=21

That will be why Covid rates are going through the roof in that, er, bastion of Brexit, London.

Did you see that image of a rammed Hungerford Bridge from last night? Not a mask in sight....
    London has a lot of people in it, including it’s fair share of idiots.

You do understand London has a lot of people in it, don’t you?
    London would appear to have more than its fair share of idiots.

I have no desire to return to living in London. The idiot quota will have to make do without me.
  • Options

Toby Young. Covidiot and Brexiter.
    Tim Martin. Covidiot and Brexiter.
    Julia Hartley-Brewer. Covidiot and Brexiter.
    “Backwoodsman” Tory MPs. Covidiots and Brexiters.

I wonder what ties these two seemingly disparate ideologies together?

Corbyn Bros...Covidiots and .....oh I see what you mean.
    The moratorium on using the actions of relatives to attack politicians did not last long, or was that a special deal for Boris and his dad's euro-passport?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

If Scotland voted to stay in the UK in a 2nd IndyRef after everything that has happened with Brexit then that will put the issue to bed for a long time. I think it's deluded to suggest that there will be a further 3rd and 4th referendum.

The best policy for Unionists is to finish what Blair started and failed to finish: give Scotland a final and sustainable long-term devolution settlement, just as @Gardenwalker suggests. Then have a IndyRef.

If a future Labour government wishes to do that fine, this Tory government respects the once in a generation 2014 vote
    What is your source for "once in a generation"?
    Salmond himself

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-29196661
    It wasn't just Salmond or Sturgeon who said it off the cuff, it was in the White Paper.
    Politicians spout crap on a daily basis.
    Indeed they do:

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1345074923446874116?s=20
    So why didn’t she want a deal with Europe then?
    No wonder the SNP want control of our drugs policy. Their leadership is on acid.
    Yep, mystifying when only three weeks ago she was told that no deal ‘would be wonderful for the UK’. Imagine voting ‘for’ something that would be wonderful for the UK!
    She may have been told that Divvie but she was adamant that that was ridiculous and then voted for it!
    Only the mps that Scotland sends down to the animal house rather than Nicola of course.

Lead the UK, don’t leave it, as the empty appeal went.
  • Options

The moratorium on using the actions of relatives to attack politicians did not last long, or was that a special deal for Boris and his dad's euro-passport?
    I thought that was a reference to fans of Corbyn a la the Bernie Bros, not a reference to Piers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,815
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ooh, that could be interesting.

(Thinks about putting a fiver on Bailey).
    For 3rd place??
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2021

?????....are you suggesting Piers is being unfairly smeared as a Brexiteer? Cos both brothers are proven Covidiots.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,999

Yeah I'm officially pro death penalty for people like this.

https://twitter.com/mbklee_/status/1344795588039208961

BBC News - Covid: Illegal New Year party at Essex church broken up

A 500-year-old church was damaged during an illegal New Year's Eve party at the venue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-55506681
    Very poor. https://www.facebook.com/ArA.Nights/ is a good night out in Manchester in non virus times.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Although it was fuzzier earlier on in the crisis, there is quite a correlation between Brexitism and Covidiocy.

That will be why Covid rates are going through the roof in that, er, bastion of Brexit, London.

Did you see that image of a rammed Hungerford Bridge from last night? Not a mask in sight....

I have no desire to return to living in London. The idiot quota will have to make do without me.
    I doubt London would have you back to be honest.
  • Options

London has more people than Devon and Scotland combined; more idiots too, no doubt.
  • Options

He's not being used, they're both prominent Covidiots in their own right. No politics necessary.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I thought that was a reference to fans of Corbyn a la the Bernie Bros, not a reference to Piers.
    In that case, consider me whooshed. :blush:
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,541

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

If Scotland voted to stay in the UK in a 2nd IndyRef after everything that has happened with Brexit then that will put the issue to bed for a long time. I think it's deluded to suggest that there will be a further 3rd and 4th referendum.

The best policy for Unionists is to finish what Blair started and failed to finish: give Scotland a final and sustainable long-term devolution settlement, just as @Gardenwalker suggests. Then have a IndyRef.

If a future Labour government wishes to do that fine, this Tory government respects the once in a generation 2014 vote
    Salmond himself

It wasn't just Salmond or Sturgeon who said it off the cuff, it was in the White Paper.
    Indeed they do:

No wonder the SNP want control of our drugs policy. Their leadership is on acid.
    Yep, mystifying when only three weeks ago she was told that no deal ‘would be wonderful for the UK’. Imagine voting ‘for’ something that would be wonderful for the UK!
    She may have been told that Divvie but she was adamant that that was ridiculous and then voted for it!
    Only the mps that Scotland sends down to the animal house rather than Nicola of course.

Sending Nicola down rather than rentagob might be a start.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond himself

Indeed they do:

No she indulged in the meaningless gesture of voting against the deal at Holyrood as well.
  • Options

?????....are you suggesting Piers is being unfairly smeared as a Brexiteer? Cos both brothers are proven Covidiots.
    Piers Corbyn is definitely a Brexiteer. Even more so than his brother. Piers strongly supported No Deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Gods, I hope virtually no one shows up, just to see his reaction and trying to pretend lots of people did. But sadly probably lots of people will be there.

Elected officials have indulged him enough and made enough gestures about how much they love Trump, I hope they don't try any futher needless gestures.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,988
    edited January 2021
    Happy New Year.

Odds for today's big match.

Man Utd 1.76 / 1.77
    Aston Villa 5.1 / 5.2
    Draw 4.1 / 4.2

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/football/english-premier-league/man-utd-v-aston-villa-betting-30200055
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

Fran C Stole My Soap
    @TworandN

Rule Britannia?

Sending a 5kg package from UK to Belgium cost £13 two weeks ago. Now it costs £44.

I call bullshit. I just went to parcel2go and got them to quote for a 5kg package (30cmx30cmx30cm).

So only the 46% price rise, then.
    Worth it!
    Without knowing what it was a week ago that's not necessarily true either.
    Well I have just checked Italy, Spain and the Netherlands, all of which I sent parcels to just before Christmas and the prices are unchanged. Sadly I didn't send to Belgium in the last month or so but given the original post was utterly misleading about current prices I see no reason to believe them on the prices 2 weeks ago either.
  • Options
    Here’s yet another Covidiot:

British “influencer”-type arrested with her boyfriend in Barbados, after he tested positive on arrival and they tried to jump the mandatory quarantine and get on a flight out - HAVING TESTED POSITIVE!

Thankfully it appears Barbados takes rather a tough line on such behaviour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9104757/Zara-Holland-faces-year-prison-18-000-fine-Covid-breach.html
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Fran C Stole My Soap
    @TworandN

Rule Britannia?

Worth it!
    If that is a critical point worth making it should have been made accurately then. Now it looks insignificant next to what was claimed.

In politics it is amazing how often that same mistake gets made, to overdo an attack, making the truth then look reasonable.
    I think the term you are looking for is 'project fear'.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond himself

Indeed they do:

No she indulged in the meaningless gesture of voting against the deal at Holyrood as well.
    Phew, glad it was meaningless, I was beginning to buy into the Yoonstream circlejerk that an enraged Scottish populace was about to turn on the Natz for almost forcing the UK into a no deal.
    #nodealNicola
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Fran C Stole My Soap
    @TworandN

Rule Britannia?

Worth it!
    Likely down to the congestion, don't you think?
    They've tried Erasmus, fish and now the killer is parcels to Belgium - truly the end of days has arrived!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Sandpit said:

British “influencer”-type arrested with her boyfriend in Barbados, after he tested positive on arrival and they tried to jump the mandatory quarantine and get on a flight out - HAVING TESTED POSITIVE!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9104757/Zara-Holland-faces-year-prison-18-000-fine-Covid-breach.html

I'm guessing prison in Barbados isn't like a Sandal's resort.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond himself

Indeed they do:

Phew, glad it was meaningless, I was beginning to buy into the Yoonstream circlejerk that an enraged Scottish populace was about to turn on the Natz for almost forcing the UK into a no deal.
    #nodealNicola
    Meaningless and irrational. Sounds like the Scottish government on an average day in fairness but this one is particularly stupid.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    edited January 2021

A city claiming to be so many villages always had it coming.

Don’t worry; a good quota of London’s idiots are probably staying down your way right now, anyway.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135
    I see the Daily Mail is doing it's bit for unity and moving on from Brexit:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9104299/Macron-says-Brexit-product-lies-false-promises.html

Outrage as president Macron says Brexit is the product of 'lies and false promises'
  • Options

I must fess up that I didn't expect a full on second wave either, more that we would have a long bumpy tail through the autumn.

It does look like the original SAGE advice in March was accurate. The second wave would be considerably bigger than the first. It does look too that the high mortality rates forecast before the November lockdown weren’t far off either.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Happy New Year.

Odds for today's big match.

Man Utd 1.76 / 1.77
    Aston Villa 5.1 / 5.2
    Draw 4.1 / 4.2

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/football/english-premier-league/man-utd-v-aston-villa-betting-30200055

Quite fancy the draw. Although McTominey is back.
  • Options

Piers Corbyn is definitely a Brexiteer. Even more so than his brother. Piers strongly supported No Deal.
    Whereas Jeremy's prior inactions just made sure that Boris' deal had to be accepted by Skyr....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I thought the newly elected senators were already in office? And they aren’t yet elected.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I see the Daily Mail is doing it's bit for unity and moving on from Brexit:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9104299/Macron-says-Brexit-product-lies-false-promises.html

Outrage as president Macron says Brexit is the product of 'lies and false promises'

Indeed, although I'd like to think if I were a Frenchman I'd be wary of any comment by the President on the failings of the UK, as it seems like an incredible obvious distraction ploy or lazy playing to the crowd.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

It’s safe to say the in-room air conditioning isn’t as good, and the buffet brunch certainly not up to Sandals’ usual standards!

Seeing a few of these idiots behind bars in far-flung destinations would certainly be a great start to the new year!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Foxy said:

Gavin Williamson soon will not be known as a disgraced national security risk but as the man who makes Chris Grayling look competent.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/01/all-primary-schools-in-london-to-remain-closed-after-u-turn

They are just so monumentally, unbelievably, incurably shit. Our daughter was due to go back to school in four days' time, now she isn't. People are catching Covid left right and centre round here - my eldest tested positive last week - it was blindingly obvious that the schools shouldn't be opening. But rather than giving families and schools time to prepare, they're running around like headless chickens, changing policy at the last minute. Fucking clueless wankers.
    I cannot see it being realistic for schools to be going back this month, anywhere. It's spreading everywhere.
    One one hand, better to take the decision now rather than Monday.

On the other, my abiding memory of March is that we were scrabbling down a landslide, hoping that each measure would be sufficient to regain control and then finding it wasn't.

That sense hasn't really gone away, but it's getting more intense again.
    We are absolutely there. Ths is March all over again.

The correct time to have locked everything down was a month ago but the next best time is right the fuck now.
  • Options

Yes, you put pineapple on your pizzas.
    Arriving tomorrow teatime. Yum!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

It’s safe to say the in-room air conditioning isn’t as good, and the buffet brunch certainly not up to Sandals’ usual standards!

Seeing a few of these idiots behind bars in far-flung destinations would certainly be a great start to the new year!
    Circulate perp photos - no make-up, no hair products, scared, looking like shit.

"Covid - this is the welcome awaiting you in Barbados".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I must fess up that I didn't expect a full on second wave either, more that we would have a long bumpy tail through the autumn.

It does look like the original SAGE advice in March was accurate. The second wave would be considerably bigger than the first. It does look too that the high mortality rates forecast before the November lockdown weren’t far off either.
    Spanish Flu - second wave worse than the first. Lessons from history.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That's nice of them to pretend that what they feel about an Education Secretary matters.

That's he's so useless he is losing the support of Conservatives seems more relevant.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Circulate perp photos - no make-up, no hair products, scared, looking like shit.

"Covid - this is the welcome awaiting you in Barbados".
    Putting unfiltered photos of these z-list celebs with no make-up etc on their Instagram accounts will be a worse punishment than 2 weeks in jail for many of them.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond himself

Indeed they do:

#nodealNicola
    Look I had been assured at the start of 2020 on this here board that Nicola had been "Broken by Boris" and the revelations of the upcoming Salmond trial would see her resign by the second day of evidence.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    One of literally hundreds, or possibly more accurately thousands, of posts like this again at the Daily Mall today :

"Klingklang, Small town in Suffolk, United Kingdom

There is a 6 minute video posted yesterday on Brand New Tube. A fellow went around Croydon hospital with his camera hidden. The whole place was deserted. The a & e which would normally be bursting had about 10 people in the waiting room. The a & e treatment area was empty. This is a crime against humanity as others who need cancer surgery etc are left to waste away. Those who need a & e have been purposely scared to not go. We are being lied to and most of the population believes the force fed lies."

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I thought the newly elected senators were already in office? And they aren’t yet elected.
    They are the sitting Senators, they get replaced if they are defeated at the run offs.
  • Options

Foxy said:

If we had closed the borders and no reseeded it with all those summer holidays bringing the Spanish variant we might have seen a bit of a bumpy winter rather than a clusterf##k.
    Yes, the future is always subject to changing by our actions.

Either that or we are predestined to be idiots.
  • Options

One of hundreds of posts like this again at the Daily Mall today.

"There is a 6 minute video posted yesterday on Brand New Tube. A fellow went around Croydon hospital with his camera hidden. The whole place was deserted. The a & e which would normally be bursting had about 10 people in the waiting room. The a & e treatment area was empty. This is a crime against humanity as others who need cancer surgery etc are left to waste away. Those who need a & e have been purposely scared to not go. We are being lied to and most of the population believes the force fed lies."

Do any of these posts suggest a reason why the illuminati (or whoever) want to stop people getting A&E treatment?

Or why they all powerful state allows you to visit, just not with an open camera, to reveal its lies?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond himself

Indeed they do:

#nodealNicola
    Look I had been assured at the start of 2020 on this here board that Nicola had been "Broken by Boris" and the revelations of the upcoming Salmond trial would see her resign by the second day of evidence.
    The Yestapo have obviously infiltrated the Scottish legal system at every level.

The BBC too; saw some Yoonster on Twitter claiming quite seriously that ‘total babe’ Jackie Bird had been forced off the BBC Hogmanay stuff by the awful SNP.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

"There is a 6 minute video posted yesterday on Brand New Tube. A fellow went around Croydon hospital with his camera hidden. The whole place was deserted. The a & e which would normally be bursting had about 10 people in the waiting room. The a & e treatment area was empty. This is a crime against humanity as others who need cancer surgery etc are left to waste away. Those who need a & e have been purposely scared to not go. We are being lied to and most of the population believes the force fed lies."

Do any of these posts suggest a reason why the illuminati (or whoever) want to stop people getting A&E treatment?

Or why they all powerful state allows you to visit, just not with an open camera, to reveal its lies?
    The Great Replacement Plan.

The One World Government wants native white folk to die so they can be replaced by darkies/immigrants/Muslims.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

One of literally hundreds, or possibly more accurately thousands, of posts like this again at the Daily Mall today :

There is a 6 minute video posted yesterday on Brand New Tube. A fellow went around Croydon hospital with his camera hidden. The whole place was deserted. The a & e which would normally be bursting had about 10 people in the waiting room. The a & e treatment area was empty. This is a crime against humanity as others who need cancer surgery etc are left to waste away. Those who need a & e have been purposely scared to not go. We are being lied to and most of the population believes the force fed lies."

Another Brexit / Covidiot correlation: the Daily Hate’s comments forum.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

The One World Government wants native white folk to die so they can be replaced by darkies/immigrants/Muslims.
    But aren't those the ones dying in greater numbers....

These conspiracy theories are terribly complicated.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    England has now overtaken Wales in the 7-day average of reported cases (using Wales 7-day average up to yesterday as they didn't report today). Cases also shooting up in Scotland and Northern Ireland, so Wales actually is the one bright spot at the moment with falling numbers.

• Options

Foxy said:

I was thinking the same - the second wave then was far worse. Although wasn’t this due to the virus mutating into a form more likely to infect older people?

In just the last week the number of new UK infections has exceeded 1/4 million - yet the restrictions in place are lighter than those of last April. It is hard to see this lasting; surely more u-turns are incoming?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Gavin Williamson soon will not be known as a disgraced national security risk but as the man who makes Chris Grayling look competent.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/01/all-primary-schools-in-london-to-remain-closed-after-u-turn

They are just so monumentally, unbelievably, incurably shit. Our daughter was due to go back to school in four days' time, now she isn't. People are catching Covid left right and centre round here - my eldest tested positive last week - it was blindingly obvious that the schools shouldn't be opening. But rather than giving families and schools time to prepare, they're running around like headless chickens, changing policy at the last minute. Fucking clueless wankers.
    I cannot see it being realistic for schools to be going back this month, anywhere. It's spreading everywhere.

On the other, my abiding memory of March is that we were scrabbling down a landslide, hoping that each measure would be sufficient to regain control and then finding it wasn't.

The correct time to have locked everything down was a month ago but the next best time is right the fuck now.
    Yes. We needed to go into lockdown the day we came out of lockdown. Not extending Lockdown 2 until at least Christmas was a total balls-up.

I'm waiting for Bozo to claim that the whole of England in Tier 4 except for the Scilly Isles does not constitute a National Lockdown.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ah yes, of course, well known fact. So brazen as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

I was thinking the same - the second wave then was far worse. Although wasn’t this due to the virus mutating into a form more likely to infect older people?

In just the last week the number of new UK infections has exceeded 1/4 million - yet the restrictions in place are lighter than those of last April. It is hard to see this lasting; surely more u-turns are incoming?
    Imperial report on Cockney Covid say November lockdown restrictions aren't even enough against this.new variant.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ireland-idUSKBN2962LV

Ireland finds stack of new cases. Fastest rate of deterioration in EU.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Imperial report on Cockney Covid say November lockdown restrictions aren't even enough against this.new variant.
    Yep, R of 1.6 during that lockdown. Not clear that even closing the schools will be enough to bring it below 1. Ridiculous that parts of England are still in tier 3. All that does is ensure that the misery is spread around more evenly.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ah yes, of course, well known fact. So brazen as well.
    Well Farage has gone down that rabbit hole.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/21/farage-under-fire-for-conspiracy-claims-linked-to-antisemitism
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,794
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    They are both current members until Jan 5th
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is “Teachers’ Union Boss doesn’t like Education Secretary” really ever news?
    This is worse. To take the teaching analogy;

The very best Ed Secs, like the very best teachers, are both ruthlessly efficient and able to exude bonhomie. You can get away with almost anything them. Ken Clarke or Alan Johnson, say.

You can do pretty well in both fields without the bonhomie as long as you are ruthlessly efficient. Michael Gove or Ed Balls.

You can also just about do OK without the ruthless efficiency as long as you can get enough goodwill. Estelle Morris, for example.

When you are both despised for being rubbish at your job and hated for being an awful person, you're stuffed. Which is where Gavster finds himself.
  • Options

My worry here is Democratic turnout.

Note that the whole purpose of GA runoff elections is to SUPRESS turnout by a) Blacks and b) urbanites. IF you doubt this, study the history of Peach State politics.

Hence (differential) turnout is almost always the BIGGEST hurdle that Democratic runoff candidates must surmount - the GA GOP's killer app.

HOWEVER, this clambake MAY be different, thanks to surge of support for Democrats by SUBURBAN voters, as demonstrated by Biden's presidential victory AND the fact that the US Senate races BOTH ended up in runoffs.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,794
    Gaussian said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Yep, R of 1.6 during that lockdown. Not clear that even closing the schools will be enough to bring it below 1. Ridiculous that parts of England are still in tier 3. All that does is ensure that the misery is spread around more evenly.
    So we're all in it together?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Hell, we've been playing catchup since September. And I can't shake of the nagging doubt that, had the case levels been lower in the autumn, the odds of Supercovid not mutating into existence would have been a lot lower.

If you keep tickling the dragon's tail...
  • Options
    Ok 8 to go. LOL.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That's one of the most ridiculous takes yet, there must be loads more which are better than that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

My worry here is Democratic turnout.

In November Biden got 49.47% in Georgia and Trump got 49.24% so where the 1.24% who went Libertarian go will be decisive
    Maybe. OR maybe not. My own guess is that how TURNOUT balances out viz-a-viz Dems v Reps.

Note that in US elections, votes for 3rd parties and independents are frequently "non of the above" votes.

Indeed, number of years ago yours truly did a study of 3rd & indy voting in WA State legislative races (in general elections under the old "blanket primary" system). And concluded that, even in close races, the non-D/R vote was NOT determinative UNLESS and UNTIL it reached threshold of about 5%.

At that point, a Lib would REALLY start to hurt a GOP contender.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

It’s only going to take a few more days of case numbers continuing their upward trajectory, before there’s no choice but to go back to where we were in March - everyone go home and stay home. If I were in the UK, I’d be filling up the freezer this weekend.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

It’s only going to take a few more days of case numbers continuing their upward trajectory, before there’s no choice but to go back to where we were in March - everyone go home and stay home. If I were in the UK, I’d be filling up the freezer this weekend.
    Already done...
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

If we had closed the borders and no reseeded it with all those summer holidays bringing the Spanish variant we might have seen a bit of a bumpy winter rather than a clusterf##k.

Look at total deaths in the four UK countries.

You can misdiagnose flu or pneumonia accidentally or deliberately as COVID. You can also if careless label deaths with COVID as deaths of COVID. Short of criminal conspiracy, you can't get total deaths wrong. For England they're not far off other 'bad winters' like ... er ... 2017-18.

3rd or 2nd chart from the bottom on https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

I don't spend much time on PB now. Except for the 4-5 users who can see right through it, you seem happy to lap up any old rubbish from 10 Downing Street. Be sceptical of these incompetent bastards, many of them with obvious hidden agendas ... and that's just SAGE/NERVTAG.

Ask if the PCR tests were carried out with Ct=30 or 35-4. The latter range certainly 40 or 45 renders the results pretty worthless.

Ask why LF tests on university students showed a very low rate of infection, ~0.25%. Ask why the stranded lorry drivers in Kent were given a LF test, resulting in only 36 positives out of 15,500, again ~0.25%. Result = happiness, because most of them could leave immediately for France. Similarly in hospitals which have changed to mostly LF testing for staff and have seen a reduction in numbers 'off sick'.

We'll be in tiers 3-4 in summer unless enough people see what's going on. Anyone want some bets on that?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,003
    Gaussian said:

England has now overtaken Wales in the 7-day average of reported cases (using Wales 7-day average up to yesterday as they didn't report today). Cases also shooting up in Scotland and Northern Ireland, so Wales actually is the one bright spot at the moment with falling numbers.

Is that cos Drakeford is useless?
    Or where are we now?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

The very best Ed Secs, like the very best teachers, are both ruthlessly efficient and able to exude bonhomie. You can get away with almost anything them. Ken Clarke or Alan Johnson, say.

You can do pretty well in both fields without the bonhomie as long as you are ruthlessly efficient. Michael Gove or Ed Balls.

You can also just about do OK without the ruthless efficiency as long as you can get enough goodwill. Estelle Morris, for example.

When you are both despised for being rubbish at your job and hated for being an awful person, you're stuffed. Which is where Gavster finds himself.
    Surely there has to be a reshuffle now and he has to go. I think you can make a case for Priti but Williamson is just a very unfunny joke.
    Would be good if he got no other job as a replacement, but Boris could always send him back to the whps if he must.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Sadly mine is full of dog food.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

I know some people go on some crazy diets for the new year, but never heard of that one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Can he use the microwave? Otherwise I see a problem further down the road.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely there has to be a reshuffle now and he has to go. I think you can make a case for Priti but Williamson is just a very unfunny joke.
    Would be good if he got no other job as a replacement, but Boris could always send him back to the whps if he must.
    Only department he is any good for.

Given Supercovid I can't understand schools going back in January. Schools should go back ASAP but not Monday, but we should gear the entire nation for vaccinations for a few weeks.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    This is my last comment tonight I reckon. Goodnight

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/28/60s-died-roads-last-year-no-underlying-conditions-coronavirus/

Behind paywall but includes this

“Almost three times as many under 60s died in road crashes last year as those without health conditions killed by coronavirus, NHS data shows."

For under-20s, it's more akin to the chances of being killed by lighting. Quick, we need new precautions to stop lighting strikes.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    dixiedean said:

Gaussian said:

Is that cos Drakeford is useless?
    Or where are we now?
    I don't believe ANY data has been reported today by Public Health Wales. Last update was NYE.

I guess there are two possibilities

(i) Significant problems in the assembling & reporting of COVID testing & cases, something to which Public Health Wales is not unaccustomed,

(ii) St Mark has eradicated COVID from Wales.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943

This is my last comment tonight I reckon. Goodnight

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/28/60s-died-roads-last-year-no-underlying-conditions-coronavirus/

Behind paywall but includes this

“Almost three times as many under 60s died in road crashes last year as those without health conditions killed by coronavirus, NHS data shows."

For under-20s, it's more akin to the chances of being killed by lighting. Quick, we need new precautions to stop lighting strikes.

Great, so we’re just going to throw the under 60s /with/ underlying conditions under the nearest coronavirus-laden bus then? I’ll be sure my friends with congenital diabetes & asthma will be delighted to hear that the Telegraph doesn’t believe their lives are worth protecting, so long as the true-blooded Aryan youth of the nation survive.

The Telegraph really has gone mask-off fascist, hasn’t it?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You can misdiagnose flu or pneumonia accidentally or deliberately as COVID. You can also if careless label deaths with COVID as deaths of COVID. Short of criminal conspiracy, you can't get total deaths wrong. For England they're not far off other 'bad winters' like ... er ... 2017-18.

I don't spend much time on PB now. Except for the 4-5 users who can see right through it, you seem happy to lap up any old rubbish from 10 Downing Street. Be sceptical of these incompetent bastards, many of them with obvious hidden agendas ... and that's just SAGE/NERVTAG.

Ask if the PCR tests were carried out with Ct=30 or 35-4. The latter range certainly 40 or 45 renders the results pretty worthless.

Ask why LF tests on university students showed a very low rate of infection, ~0.25%. Ask why the stranded lorry drivers in Kent were given a LF test, resulting in only 36 positives out of 15,500, again ~0.25%. Result = happiness, because most of them could leave immediately for France. Similarly in hospitals which have changed to mostly LF testing for staff and have seen a reduction in numbers 'off sick'.

We'll be in tiers 3-4 in summer unless enough people see what's going on. Anyone want some bets on that?
    Why?

Seriously, why?
    Could have left it at that. The rest is also relevant for undermining the conspiracy (not least why all those different world governments, many of whom despise one another, are cooperating on this, so it is not No.10), but it falls down at this very basic point.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Trouble is that another lockdown will reinforce the sceptics' mantra that lockdowns have not worked.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Why?

Seriously, why?

You are insisting that it’s all made up, all a conspiracy - and not just here, but in Germany. Sweden. France. Italy. Israel. India. Canada. The US. Australia. New Zealand. Taiwan. Japan. South Korea. Russia. Poland. Slovakia. The Czech Republic. Greece. Portugal. Spain. Austria. Norway. Argentina. Venezuala. World-wide.

But you’ve seen through it (with graphs that (checks) literally say the opposite of your point. With all the evidence piled up and up and up, it’s all made up, or irrelevant, or can be defined away.

At some point, surely even you have to start questioning your position.

Does the conspiracy have a name? The International Conspiracy of Irresistible Authoritarian Scientists, perhaps? It doesn’t roll off the tongue.

Could you tell us more about how it’s organised? It’s marvellously effective, given all the disparate governments it’s managed to bring under its sway. Is there an Inner Circle, or something? Do we know their long-term aims, or do they just like having people stay at home?
    This reminds me of ultra-republicans in Northern Ireland

In their world, everything bad for The Cause was brilliantly engineered by the Securocrats - So every time the IRA set off a bomb that sickened people with civilian causalities it was a Securocrat Plot. If they tripped over a paving stone, Securocrats.

I once asked one such, that given the apparent genius of The Securocrats, surely they were the best possible rulers of Northern Ireland? If they could perfectly manipulate everyone all the time, what was the point in opposing them? Surely it would be better just to ask them to create 25% per annum economic growth, which would obviously be in their gift?
This discussion has been closed.