Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

2021: What lies in store from Alastair Meeks – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited December 2020 in General
image2021: What lies in store from Alastair Meeks – politicalbetting.com

Following in Robert Smithson’s footsteps, it’s time to nail my colours to the mast again. At the end of each year, I like to set out my expectations for the year ahead, not because I’m particularly accurate (I’m not) but because it is useful to see where my expectations went wrong at a later date.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Boris Johnson has proved to be a deadlier clown than Pennywise

Worthy of Marina Hyde.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    I think it quite right that while the economy will grow it won't feel much like it. I've always thought the actualy % increase and decrease, or boom or recession, doesn't matter compared to how people feel about the situation.

I also agree things will get quite a bit worse generally before it gets any better, and that the locals results will be massively overterpreted. But that is practically being back to normal, so that's ok.

I'm not so much persuaded that the opinion polls won't move much, for two reasons. One, as Alistair points out we've been shielded to a degree from the worst economic impacts, and that will change at some point. Two, it may well be the public is divided between those who think the Tories dangerous and incompetent and those who think Labour dangerous and incompetent, but that too might change, at least in proportion. If one or either starts to be seen merely as incompetent, they would comparitively do better.
  • Options
    Perfect timing! Signing it before Parliament has discussed rubber stamped it....

https://twitter.com/EUCouncilPress/status/1343946334458552321?s=20
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Sounds reasonable. Everything is Depressing.
  • Options

Perfect timing! Signing it before Parliament has discussed rubber stamped it....

https://twitter.com/EUCouncilPress/status/1343946334458552321?s=20

Either of the Parliaments
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    "Since the over-80s are the most vulnerable, it will not take long before the mortality statistics – if not cases and hospitalisations – start coming down."

This ties in to a discussion I saw earlier but couldn't comment on at the time.

To provide context, I went and got the ONS figures for covid hospitalisations against age in England for w/e 29 November (which were expressed in numbers per hundred thousand, which wasn't that helpful; I went and got figures for England numbers per age band and multiplied out to get the actual numbers (presumably - it should be close, to within a couple of percent per age band).

I then got the figures for covid deaths in England and Wales for w/e 11 December (latest available) as an approximately accurate lag - it's to provide qualitative comparison of deaths to hospitalisations for each age band, so it doesn't have to be accurate. I couldn't find the deaths for England alone, so I divided by 1.05 to get a decent approximation. Again, this is to provide qualitative comparison rather than exact quantitative comparison, so should be close enough.

Here it is.

It provides a useful guide to where overwhelming hospitals would make deaths spike (on the assumption that people are hospitalised because the medical staff feel there is too great a chance of a negative outcome without medical assistance - and therefore that without medical assistance, the black bar representing deaths could climb towards the height and numbers of the red bar representing hospitalisations).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,548
    Even for the over 80s, the vast majority recover from Covid-19. It's those who are both over 80 and in particularly bad health that the vaccine rollout is most vital.
  • Options
    Best set of predictions so far.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951
    Leon said:

On the other hand, something encouraging:

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1343939562163359746?s=20

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1343951547558977537?s=20

We can still beat this. We need Astra Zeneca though

Wow. Those numbers are super encouraging.

I would also guess (and it's just a guess) that:

(a) Over 80s do a lot of hanging out with other over 80s
    (b) This happens in doors, and therefore
    (c) Over 80s have historically been most likely to catch CV19 from another oldie.

THEREFORE...

(d) This is strongly suggestive that vaccinated people are not passing CV19 onto their peers. (I.e., the vaccine does not turn people into "asymptomatic superspreaders".)
  • Options
    Question for those who know what they're talking about...

How far down the priority list do the vaccinations need to get to be able to relax restrictions without it all blowing up again? I can see the two lighthouses to avoid- one is to let it rip once (say) everyone aged 70+ has been done, the other is to wait until the vaccinated proportion of the population gets R << 1.

Where's the sweet spot? Does anyone know?

(And since this is prediction time, mine is that we will open up a bit too much in the spring, regret it, have a similar trajectory May-September 2021 as 2020, but not need to worry too much next autumn. When the dust settles, the vaccination performance of most large Western countries will be much of a muchness- the UK ending up towards the front of the pack, but not ahead of it.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

(c) Over 80s have historically been most likely to catch CV19 from another oldie.

THEREFORE...

(d) This is strongly suggestive that vaccinated people are not passing CV19 onto their peers. (I.e., the vaccine does not turn people into "asymptomatic superspreaders".)
    True, but you will also find people being much more careful when they are within days and weeks of getting the vaccine which could account for the numbers as well.
  • Options

"Since the over-80s are the most vulnerable, it will not take long before the mortality statistics – if not cases and hospitalisations – start coming down."

To provide context, I went and got the ONS figures for covid hospitalisations against age in England for w/e 29 November (which were expressed in numbers per hundred thousand, which wasn't that helpful; I went and got figures for England numbers per age band and multiplied out to get the actual numbers (presumably - it should be close, to within a couple of percent per age band).

I then got the figures for covid deaths in England and Wales for w/e 11 December (latest available) as an approximately accurate lag - it's to provide qualitative comparison of deaths to hospitalisations for each age band, so it doesn't have to be accurate. I couldn't find the deaths for England alone, so I divided by 1.05 to get a decent approximation. Again, this is to provide qualitative comparison rather than exact quantitative comparison, so should be close enough.

Here it is.

It provides a useful guide to where overwhelming hospitals would make deaths spike (on the assumption that people are hospitalised because the medical staff feel there is too great a chance of a negative outcome without medical assistance - and therefore that without medical assistance, the black bar representing deaths could climb towards the height and numbers of the red bar representing hospitalisations).

That is an important reminder of how serious the disease can be for younger people, and that - left to run amok - it can easily utterly swamp healthcare systems.

Still: remember that about half the hosptalizations are for the over 75s. Assuming AZN is approved, we should get that grouping entirely done by the end of January.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    rcs1000 said:

Here it is.

That is an important reminder of how serious the disease can be for younger people, and that - left to run amok - it can easily utterly swamp healthcare systems.

Still: remember that about half the hosptalizations are for the over 75s. Assuming AZN is approved, we should get that grouping entirely done by the end of January.
    Indeed. That would allow for one full doubling.
    In addition, the numbers would start to contribute towards herd immunity and diminishing spread. Under 10% of the population, but another 10% or so would have acquired immunity (hopefully), so R would be pressured downwards by a factor of about 1.2

By the time we get all over 65s done, that's two thirds of the hospitalisations (allowing for a tripling in the rest, or, which would be better, some overhead even with a doubling), and approaching 30% should be immune. Pushing R down by about 1.4
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Leon said:

To me those graphs just suggest that the new variant is ripping through younger cohorts and don't show any impact of vaccination.
  • Options

Leon said:

To me those graphs just suggest that the new variant is ripping through younger cohorts and don't show any impact of vaccination.
    Could be both, of course. Indeed I suspect it is
  • Options
    Some more predictions:

Trump to be charged with state crimes, will be subsequently either found not guilty or see charges dropped but not by end of 2021.
    Man Utd to trade as favourites for the Premier League at some point in 2021, but not win it, either in 20-21 or 21-22.
    Dina Asher Smith to win an Olympic gold in either 100m or 200m.
    First year since 2003 when Federer, Nadal and Djokovic don't win at least 2 grand slams between them
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    53,135 UK cases.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Jesus. We could actually break the world record, next week?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Oh dear
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    edited December 2020
    "What lies in store from Alastair Meeks?"

A new album, surely. It's been a long time. Failing that, perhaps a return to below-the-line PB rumble tumble. I miss a kindred spirit on "culture war" issues. I don't have many.

Crisp and elegant header as usual from him. I agree with most of it. If anything I think AM underplays how bad the pandemic will get in hospitals in Jan and Feb. I'm hearing predictions of collapse from sources I trust on this matter. Sources whose NHS predictions generally become next week's or next month's headlines.

I disagree on 3 things -

"The boom won't feel like a boom": I sense the opposite. I think it will feel more of a boom than it is.
    "Labour are dangerous and incompetent": I find this a largely evidence free assertion rooted in the Corbynite past.
    "Europe will be a running sore": I doubt this. At least not in 2021. I think the issue will take a well earned sabbatical.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    England alone 47,164. London 14,875.

I suspect this is partly due to people delaying getting tests until after Christmas, but still, just horrendous.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited December 2020
    Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Stats like that ought to make the "you paid too much for your vaccines" idiots shut up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,391
    Leon said:

OK, this is so fucking bleak I am going to do a set of alternative happy-happy predictions. just to stop myself from slashing my wrists.

Taken in turn, following Mr Meeks' prognoses:

1. Yes, January and February are going to be REALLY bad, no one can deny that. But vaccines - esp Astra Zeneca - will make an even bigger and quicker impact than we fondly hope (see the data I posted below)

2. By the end of February, therefore, the worst pressure will be off the NHS, and we will see the first relaxation of restrictions. That's just eight weeks away. It will get steadily better from then on, as a virtuous feedback loop is created: emptier hospitals meaning better care, and so on

3. The economy WILL boom, and it WILL feel like it. The pent up demand for social interaction, travel, fun, sex, parties, pubs, restaurants, love, everything nice, will be like a tidal wave. The Roaring Twenties here we come.

4. Brexit will be much less painful than feared, partly because Covid will provide cover. Business will have gotten used to the new paper work by the time weakening Covid allows us to trade and travel freely. And then we will slowly but agreeably realise that Brexit does provide huge opportunities, which we will exploit. The early UK adoption of the Pfizer vaccine was an example: not strictly EU related but revealing what a nimbler national policy can do

5. Yes, Sturgeon will get her majority in Holyrood, yes she will demand indyref2. Boris will - of course - refuse, for the very good reason that he would quite possibly lose and have to resign. But the consequence will, paradoxically, be worse for the SNP, as they split into warring factions, one side demanding UDI, the other trying the courts (and failing), and the indy urge will dissipate in the ensuing mess (cf Catalonia)

6. The Tories will stay level pegging at least, Boris will enjoy a post-Covid bounce, Starmer will bore everyone to tears

7. By the summer, Britain will be a calmer happier nation: or rather, it will be a nation breathing a Huge Sigh of Relief. There is more pleasure in the cessation of pain, than there is in pure pleasure itself. The UK will feel like this. Like it has come through a terrible, agonising dental procedure. We will walk out of the dental surgery, with a spring in our national stride.

There. That's what keeps me from tying a noose.

Very good - I quite agree.

When you think about it, addiction to 'relief' is a funny thing. We want good things, but only after we've suffered adequately to get there. Literature, films, TV programmes all inculcate this lesson. It's not for me. I prefer to feel good now. I mostly feel good, and I rarely deviate from it. I go from good to good, and if this means I don't have the feeling of having crossed a chasm to the promised land any more, that's fine.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Leon said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Your burst of optimism didn't last long. ;)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Yes, my bipolarity just peaked, methinks
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited December 2020
    kinabalu said:

A new album, surely. It's been a long time. Failing that, perhaps a return to below-the-line PB rumble tumble. I miss a kindred spirit on "culture war" issues. I don't have many.

Crisp and elegant header as usual from him. I agree with most of it. If anything I think AM underplays how bad the pandemic will get in hospitals in Jan and Feb. I'm hearing predictions of collapse from sources I trust on this matter. Sources whose NHS predictions generally become next week's or next month's headlines.

I disagree on 3 things -

"The boom won't feel like a boom": I sense the opposite. I think it will feel more of a boom than it is.
    "Labour are dangerous and incompetent": I find this a largely evidence free assertion rooted in the Corbynite past.
    "Europe will be a running sore": I doubt this. At least not in 2021. I think the issue will take a well earned sabbatical.

With you on the latter two.
    On the first. Well. Many, many jobs will be lost. Will be difficult to feel like a boom for those people and their families.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Here it is.

That's a slightly misleading graph - it would have been better to keep consistent age spans.

It is still a reminder that you DO NOT WANT THIS if you can possibly avoid it.

I wonder if the fall in over 80s might also be due to them being the most likely to catch Covid whilst in hospital. Once the staff have been vaccinated, there won't be as many unknown cases in the building to spread it round.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Leon said:

OK, this is so fucking bleak I am going to do a set of alternative happy-happy predictions. just to stop myself from slashing my wrists.

1. Yes, January and February are going to be REALLY bad, no one can deny that. But vaccines - esp Astra Zeneca - will make an even bigger and quicker impact than we fondly hope (see the data I posted below)

2. By the end of February, therefore, the worst pressure will be off the NHS, and we will see the first relaxation of restrictions. That's just eight weeks away. It will get steadily better from then on, as a virtuous feedback loop is created: emptier hospitals meaning better care, and so on

3. The economy WILL boom, and it WILL feel like it. The pent up demand for social interaction, travel, fun, sex, parties, pubs, restaurants, love, everything nice, will be like a tidal wave. The Roaring Twenties here we come.

4. Brexit will be much less painful than feared, partly because Covid will provide cover. Business will have gotten used to the new paper work by the time weakening Covid allows us to trade and travel freely. And then we will slowly but agreeably realise that Brexit does provide huge opportunities, which we will exploit. The early UK adoption of the Pfizer vaccine was an example: not strictly EU related but revealing what a nimbler national policy can do

5. Yes, Sturgeon will get her majority in Holyrood, yes she will demand indyref2. Boris will - of course - refuse, for the very good reason that he would quite possibly lose and have to resign. But the consequence will, paradoxically, be worse for the SNP, as they split into warring factions, one side demanding UDI, the other trying the courts (and failing), and the indy urge will dissipate in the ensuing mess (cf Catalonia)

6. The Tories will stay level pegging at least, Boris will enjoy a post-Covid bounce, Starmer will bore everyone to tears

7. By the summer, Britain will be a calmer happier nation: or rather, it will be a nation breathing a Huge Sigh of Relief. There is more pleasure in the cessation of pain, than there is in pure pleasure itself. The UK will feel like this. Like it has come through a terrible, agonising dental procedure. We will walk out of the dental surgery, with a spring in our national stride.

When you think about it, addiction to 'relief' is a funny thing. We want good things, but only after we've suffered adequately to get there. Literature, films, TV programmes all inculcate this lesson. It's not for me. I prefer to feel good now. I mostly feel good, and I rarely deviate from it. I go from good to good, and if this means I don't have the feeling of having crossed a chasm to the promised land any more, that's fine.
    Interesting. I have always wondered whether my brain chemistry is kind of like depressed people but the other way around. I'm almost always happy and if things go wrong, there is always plan B, or C or D etc. Perhaps I'm missing out by not having troughs to make the peaks more exciting?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2020
    I Broadly agree with Mr Meeks - although I’d say the pain of the recession looks like it will be mostly felt by the young. Fewer jobs, lower pay, worse conditions. The complete Gigification of the younger Millienials and those that follow.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I disagree on 3 things -

I suspect there will a lot of pressure from everyone not to call the issues "Europe". But the bread-and-butter issues of how the UK can live and work alongside its immediate neighbours aren't going to go away and probably can't wait for the five year review. I wonder what and when the first furtive fleshing out of the skeleton (for furtive it will have to be) will be?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

I don't want to tempt fate, and the situation in many hospitals is clearly very serious, but as I wondered last week, the death rate still seems strikingly lower relative to the huge number of cases we've had compared to the spring. We have had plenty of time for the lag to be factored in already, considering cases exploded a month ago. I very much hope this may continue.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    This third failure is the worst, given the imminence of the vaccines.

What’s remarkable is that the allegedly competent Germans have also made the same mistake.
  • Options

Leon said:

Don't you get a little spacey, though, if it's pure mellow goodness all the time?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Best set of predictions so far.

Agreed - at least for one sense of ‘best’.
    Minor quibble, the quote is: it’s being so cheerful as keeps me going. Alastair no doubt recoiled at the grammar,
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Common complaint in these parts,
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328
    UK case numbers by specimen date

• Options
    I've been watching Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on Britbox. I've been aware it's a classic and seen bits, but never actually watched the series start to finish. Peerless understated performances from the leads. It felt a real window on that world.

I'm now watching a 1960's scifi drama called Timeslip, about some kids that slip back in time to WW2. Special effects are rudimentary to say the very least, even for the era where such things were pretty much 'trick photography', but it's quite fun. Not sure if I'll see it through.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

I disagree on 3 things -

On the first. Well. Many, many jobs will be lost. Will be difficult to feel like a boom for those people and their families.
    There will be a lot of opportunities for the businesses that have survived and new entrants. Particularly for restaurants and the like, as premium sites might now be available and there will be a lot of people wanting to get out again soon.
  • Options
    UK case numbers by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options

kinabalu said:

I disagree on 3 things -

I suspect there will a lot of pressure from everyone not to call the issues "Europe". But the bread-and-butter issues of how the UK can live and work alongside its immediate neighbours aren't going to go away and probably can't wait for the five year review. I wonder what and when the first furtive fleshing out of the skeleton (for furtive it will have to be) will be?
    I'm sure there will be many important issues arising. But I don't think it unreasonable that the big question of 'Europe', reflective of the wider matters, has indeed been settled for the forseeable future. So even though plenty of European issues will come up and be important, as a major constitutional problem it is done. Faultlines will remain, but will fracture a bit now on the individual issues.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

I've always been bipolar, but I have noticed that many of my friends and relatives are now exhibiting the same symptoms, when they were paragons of equanimity before.

They swing wildly from optimism to despair and back again
  • Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

THEREFORE...

I think this may be over-interpreting. Another explanation is the new variant COVID is more transmissible to/from younger people, so the number of younger people catching it is going up faster than the number of old people catching it.

--AS
  • Options
    This is a trend which will not end well for anyone, other than the manufacturers.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/29/uk-defence-secretary-hails-azerbaijans-use-of-drones-in-conflict
  • Options
    China/EU deal in the offing.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55464564
  • Options
    UK cases summary

Today:

Yesterday:

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    Balrog said:

Leon said:

Interesting. I have always wondered whether my brain chemistry is kind of like depressed people but the other way around. I'm almost always happy and if things go wrong, there is always plan B, or C or D etc. Perhaps I'm missing out by not having troughs to make the peaks more exciting?
    I take neither of you are Wagner fans then!

I'm one of these sad people who can't listen to the 'good bits' or stick the music player on shuffle. I have to start at the beginning and go through to the end, or not bother.

I agree with 'Leon' here. One we are unlocked there is going to be a lot of pent up demand for all kinds of things...
  • Options
    UK positivity

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    edited December 2020
    A senior doctor on the Today programme yesterday morning or this morning was talking about a situation where many more people are surviving, but hospitals are still struggling to cope because there are so many cases coming through, and being treated at the same time. Long may the lower death rate continue, and all power to the doctors and nurses working flat out to protect everyone and trying to ensure it stays that way.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    I'll start my 2021 predictions with a detailed set on COVID:

Jan: AZ vaccine starts up and we quickly scale beyond 1m vaccinations a week. Tier 4 starts to spread beyond the South (starting with Cumbria, I'm afraid) while Kent and SE start to come under control with few further +++ measures. HMG persist until the very last in trying to enforce onsite schooling and then cede minimally to the inevitable, by the end of the month mass testing in schools is in chaos with demand outstripping supply and the term collapses. Deaths are dropping sharply by the end of January, but the NHS is still having to cope with massive hospitalisations and is breaking in places.

Feb: As immunisation moves younger, the herd immunity the vaccines have been found to provide turns the tide. Strict restrictions, an extended half term break, and vaccination mean hospitalisations and then cases start dropping by 50% or more week on week. For all the fuss of the UK getting in a couple of weeks early on vaccination, the pattern is repeated across Europe and US at a similar rate, though the US and UK fall slightly faster from a higher base.

Mar: Tiers start to ease and schools trickle back to in person teaching without any impact on the fall in cases to below 10/100k by month end. By the end of the month a mix of Tier 3 and Tier 2 is in operation and pressure is on from backbenches for further easing, resulting in

Apr: An Easter amnesty is called for 6 days, goes ahead and only blips the downward trend marginally. Vaccinations reach the 50-60 cohort and most places go into Tier 1.

May: Worries about the duration of immunity from vaccination means that it is suspended in below 50s, to resume in September, which is controversial, with the shipping of excess stock to developing countries with outbreaks forming an ugly part of the argument. Basic social distancing and mask wearing until 2022 is mooted: as cases drop this too comes under pressure, not least as the business damage and the final ending of furlough etc. come more into focus.

Jul: Summer goes ahead broadly normally, under pressure the requirements for businesses to enforce distancing ease. Smatterings of cases, well below last year's levels cause some panics. The NHS app, which had remained peripheral, is disconnected from test and trace, but is relaunched in pure game form to encourage social distancing and proves modestly popular.

Sept: Cases mount a little, vaccinations resume and some trial boosters are formally rolled into the flu shot programme, covering a monitoring program for new variants. The virus increases quite slowly.

Dec: At winter peak there are around 40 cases per 100k with very modest hospitalisation and death levels amongst the unvaccinated, who are indiscriminately vilified whatever their reasons were. It is stated to be a 'near normal' winter and Christmas goes ahead with little more than the 'new normal' of personal distancing, and minor numerical restrictions in outbreak areas.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Tier 9++++++ incoming.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Don't you get a little spacey, though, if it's pure mellow goodness all the time?
    No, because it's not like being in a permanent meditative state (though I do meditate), it's more like deciding that most of the time I'll choose to focus on things that make me feel good. Occasionally I'll feel challenged or frustated by something, but it doesn't last long, and I can usually turn my attention elsewhere.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This, I think, is actually quite likely. The hostility toward Sturgeon from hard core indy supporters is palpaple because they know full well that when the SNP win next year she will demand a referendum, Boris will say it's too soon, and then... what?. Sturgeon will not endorse UDL, so the status quo continues. There's no plan B.

The ultranats will detonate at that point.

Too many observers outside Scotland seem to think electoral success will always ensure SNP unity, but that's far from the case. It can't be overstated; the SNP is not a normal political party, it is a vehicle to facilitate Scottish independence. Winning elections is useful only so long as those victories bring indepence closer.

To be fair to Sturgeon (of whom I am personally no fan) she is caught in a steel trap, and knows it. She cannot force a legal referendum, and a wildcat referendum would be boycotted by unionists and be a farce that would not, I believe, impress the average voter one bit. And UDL... let's not look down that dark path.

I don't think the union is safe, but a viable path to indy is, imho, not at all clear.
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospital data

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Here it is.

Just a reminder that, per ICNARC data, the median age of ICU admissions is only 60 or so. Notwithstanding that older patients probably stay there longer, I'm beginning to think that it's specifically ICU capacity, more than hospital capacity more generally, that will be most pressured even as the vaccine starts to reduce mortality.

--AS
  • Options
    So all the players can party?

Given the clubs are doing everything for them, they really should be able to avoid covid more being "in work", than left to.their.own devices.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    I think in Scotland now we have a trade deal with the EU the chances of an SNP majority at Holyrood next year are much less than if there had been No Deal. The SNP vote should fall to their 45% hardcore and given the SNP got 46.5% in 2016 they could even lose seats.

In the local elections given the Tories were 11% ahead of Labour in the 2017 county council elections the Tories will likely lose some county councillors to Labour even if they stay ahead and Labour should hold the London Mayoralty and Assembly comfortably.

The District elections are likely to be relatively better for the Tories as Labour were 1% ahead already when they were last up in 2016. In Wales the Tories may also gain seats from Labour and Abolish the Assembly will likely enter the Senedd for the first time
  • Options
    Balrog said:

Leon said:

I doubt it. Contentment is underrated.

I had been wondering about such things lately, as while I do peak and trough emotionally speaking, I'm also temperamentally inclined to be satisfied with mild outcomes. There was a bit in the latest series of Criminal on Netflix with one character noting their own lack of ambition, and how admitting to that would be seen as a negative, and I got a similar vibe from some of Born to be Mild: Adventures for the Anxious by the Very British Problems guy.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

England alone 47,164. London 14,875.

I suspect this is partly due to people delaying getting tests until after Christmas, but still, just horrendous.

47164. That's a Duff number.

(Apologies to the non-rail enthusiasts on PB who won't get the joke.)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,661
    HYUFD said:

I think in Scotland now we have a trade deal with the EU the chances of an SNP majority at Holyrood next year are much less than if there had been No Deal. The SNP vote should fall to their 45% hardcore and given the SNP got 46.5% in 2016 they could even lose seats.

In the local elections given the Tories were 11% ahead of Labour in the 2017 county council elections the Tories will likely lose some county councillors to Labour even if they stay ahead and Labour should hold the London Mayoralty and Assembly comfortably.

The District elections are likely to be relatively better for the Tories as Labour were 1% ahead already when they were last up in 2016. In Wales the Tories may also gain seats from Labour and Abolish the Assembly will likely enter the Senedd for the first time

What passes for a trade deal. Everone from the bankers to the farmers to the fisherpersons is unhappy. Three crucial Unionist vote categories in Scotland.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

I'd fear that being bipolar is one of those things that many people on the internet are inclined to self diagnose as (not suggesting that is the case with Leon), like Asperger's Syndrome or OCD.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

THEREFORE...

I think this may be over-interpreting. Another explanation is the new variant COVID is more transmissible to/from younger people, so the number of younger people catching it is going up faster than the number of old people catching it.

--AS
    That is an excellent alternative analysis.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I disagree on 3 things -

Yes, rather than "Europe" the toxic monolithic issue, there will be the "European Dimension" to many humdrum and not so humdrum matters of economic and social policy. I can see things evolving like that. The first flesh on the bones might be in Financial Services. This is an argument waiting for its opportunity to erupt. I wonder who holds most of the cards there? OTOH, us, because we're a juggernaut that others rely on. OTOH, not us, because we're also a nice fat juicy target. If the arrows are loaded properly it will be hard to miss.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

I'd fear that being bipolar is one of those things that many people on the internet are inclined to self diagnose as (not suggesting that is the case with Leon), like Asperger's Syndrome or OCD.
    If I were Leon, I'd be more worried about the out-of-control multiple personality disorder.

--AS
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What would you know about it?

You are clueless.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

I don't want to tempt fate, and the situation in many hospitals is clearly very serious, but as I wondered last week, the death rate still seems strikingly lower relative to the huge number of cases we've had compared to the spring. We have had plenty of time for the lag to be factored in already, considering cases exploded a month ago. I very much hope this may continue.
    Hope being that the mutant variant is a milder disease?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    Great header as always. One of the more downbeat, but perhaps realistic predictions.
  • Options

UK R

From case data

From hospital data

Slightly more encouraging?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    kinabalu said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

Yes, and some possible combination of that with the effectiveness of vaccines already having an impact amongst the most vulnerable groups.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Jan: AZ vaccine starts up and we quickly scale beyond 1m vaccinations a week. Tier 4 starts to spread beyond the South (starting with Cumbria, I'm afraid) while Kent and SE start to come under control with few further +++ measures. HMG persist until the very last in trying to enforce onsite schooling and then cede minimally to the inevitable, by the end of the month mass testing in schools is in chaos with demand outstripping supply and the term collapses. Deaths are dropping sharply by the end of January, but the NHS is still having to cope with massive hospitalisations and is breaking in places.

Feb: As immunisation moves younger, the herd immunity the vaccines have been found to provide turns the tide. Strict restrictions, an extended half term break, and vaccination mean hospitalisations and then cases start dropping by 50% or more week on week. For all the fuss of the UK getting in a couple of weeks early on vaccination, the pattern is repeated across Europe and US at a similar rate, though the US and UK fall slightly faster from a higher base.

Mar: Tiers start to ease and schools trickle back to in person teaching without any impact on the fall in cases to below 10/100k by month end. By the end of the month a mix of Tier 3 and Tier 2 is in operation and pressure is on from backbenches for further easing, resulting in

Apr: An Easter amnesty is called for 6 days, goes ahead and only blips the downward trend marginally. Vaccinations reach the 50-60 cohort and most places go into Tier 1.

May: Worries about the duration of immunity from vaccination means that it is suspended in below 50s, to resume in September, which is controversial, with the shipping of excess stock to developing countries with outbreaks forming an ugly part of the argument. Basic social distancing and mask wearing until 2022 is mooted: as cases drop this too comes under pressure, not least as the business damage and the final ending of furlough etc. come more into focus.

Jul: Summer goes ahead broadly normally, under pressure the requirements for businesses to enforce distancing ease. Smatterings of cases, well below last year's levels cause some panics. The NHS app, which had remained peripheral, is disconnected from test and trace, but is relaunched in pure game form to encourage social distancing and proves modestly popular.

Sept: Cases mount a little, vaccinations resume and some trial boosters are formally rolled into the flu shot programme, covering a monitoring program for new variants. The virus increases quite slowly.

Dec: At winter peak there are around 40 cases per 100k with very modest hospitalisation and death levels amongst the unvaccinated, who are indiscriminately vilified whatever their reasons were. It is stated to be a 'near normal' winter and Christmas goes ahead with little more than the 'new normal' of personal distancing, and minor numerical restrictions in outbreak areas.

I hope you’re right about the AZN vaccine. I think it will be approved, too, but I’m far from certain in that.
    Your May prediction seems very unlikely to me.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

The evidence does appear to be leading in that direction. We had anecodates here of whole families having the new strain assymptomatically. We have the 'trueism' that as most viruses mutate to become more transmissable, they also get less deadly. So far, deaths do not (seem) to be tracking in line with cases as they once did.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

THEREFORE...

--AS
    Both can be true, and I suspect both are true.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

THEREFORE...

--AS
    I'm actually working on an analysis of the data on age bands - will be having look at that this evening.

My estimate is that about 17%+ of the over 80s in the UK have had the jab, incidentally.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

What passes for a trade deal. Everone from the bankers to the farmers to the fisherpersons is unhappy. Three crucial Unionist vote categories in Scotland.
    There are far fewer bankers in Scotland than in London and they are mainly concentrated in Edinburgh where the LDs and Labour are the main challengers to the SNP in more seats than the Tories anyway.

Farmers and fishermen combined make up less than 1% of Scottish voters, the latter are concentrated in Banff and Buchan which is already SNP at Holyrood and not even in the top 10 Conservative target seats. If they want a harder deal they will vote for Farage and UKIP anyway not SNP.

The vast majority of Scots especially the 55% Unionist majority will be pleased No Deal has been avoided and will not take kindly to Sturgeon both voting against the Deal and continuing to push for indyref2 rather than focusing on domestic politics and the pandemic. She is setting herself up for a May 2017 style fall, if Sturgeon fails to get a thumping SNP majority next May she faces humiliation and SNP civil war
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988

Leon said:

You are a lucky guy! I assume you are also in your prime at 37 years old.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

I hope you’re right about the AZN vaccine. I think it will be approved, too, but I’m far from certain in that.
    The most depressing part of this prediction set is the idea that NEXT Christmas we will still be doing social distancing. God, please, no. That would mean TWO YEARS of plague. FFS
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You are clueless.
    Obviously rather more than you do given your factless reply
  • Options

A senior doctor on the Today programme yesterday morning or this morning was talking about a situation where many more people are surviving, but hospitals are still struggling to cope because there are so many cases coming through, and being treated at the same time. Long may the lower death rate continue, and all power to the doctors and nurses working flat out to protect everyone and trying to ensure it stays that way.

Yes, if the average duration of a stay in hospital has gone up because more patients survive then the pressure on beds gets far worse for the same number of admissions.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

The most recent paper (looking at matched populations of those who’d had this and previous variants) suggests it is no more or less deadly, simply more infectious.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are clueless.
    Obviously rather more than you do given your factless reply
    Lolololol
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

The most depressing part of this prediction set is the idea that NEXT Christmas we will still be doing social distancing. God, please, no. That would mean TWO YEARS of plague. FFS
    Absolutely critical that Oxford AZ is approved imminently or indeed it will be a very hard slog through 2021.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

Absolutely critical that Oxford AZ is approved imminently or indeed it will be a very hard slog through 2021.
    If Covid lasts TWO YEARS in the West I will just bloody emigrate. If we are allowed.
  • Options
    It is fear of this in London (and subsequently elsewhere) which explains moves to tighten restrictions.
    https://twitter.com/SadiaFMD/status/1343525724250984448

That and the fact that vaccinations ought fairly rapidly to provide relief. Much more rapidly if the AZN vaccine is approved.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

I disagree on 3 things -

Of course that is true. The many casualties of the pandemic will not suddenly start grinning from ear to ear. Where I'm coming from is as elaborated by LEON (very articulate new poster, I must say), ie the pent up desire to do things, mixed in with the relief that it's again possible, I reckon will for a large number of people, maybe the majority of people, mean that H2 of 2021 feels better and more prosperous than the hard economic data will indicate it should. But I can see the opposite view too. That it won't be like that at all.
  • Options

I've been watching Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on Britbox. I've been aware it's a classic and seen bits, but never actually watched the series start to finish. Peerless understated performances from the leads. It felt a real window on that world.

I'm now watching a 1960's scifi drama called Timeslip, about some kids that slip back in time to WW2. Special effects are rudimentary to say the very least, even for the era where such things were pretty much 'trick photography', but it's quite fun. Not sure if I'll see it through.

I too have been re-watching TTSS after 40 years. I drool over incidental footage of 70s London - the city I learned to love before I tired of her 30 years later. The city of Routemasters, red phone boxes, green goddesses, big hair, people smoking. Episode 1 kicks off with a panning shot of Piccadilly Circus and in the bottom corner a paper-seller's billboard proclaims "Tory Revolt Grows". A glimmer of encouragement, perhaps, for those who have decided that the Tories are always revolting.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

The most recent paper (looking at matched populations of those who’d had this and previous variants) suggests it is no more or less deadly, simply more infectious.
    We'll know the truth of that soon enough, but so far the vast number of cases relative to deaths in the UK is beginning to look increasingly out of kilter with previous patterns.

The NHS needs to be given every possible help it might ask for right now, to stop it being overwhelmed and maybe contributing to the end of that pattern.
  • Options
    Time to deploy the army to start shooting Londoners and Southerners if they try and spread their plague.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1343941797790277635
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kinabalu said:

Gaussian said:

53,135 UK cases.

The evidence does appear to be leading in that direction. We had anecodates here of whole families having the new strain assymptomatically. We have the 'trueism' that as most viruses mutate to become more transmissable, they also get less deadly. So far, deaths do not (seem) to be tracking in line with cases as they once did.
    Bored of doing this, but it's a falseism. No reason in principle for it to be true in as large and close-packed a host population as humanity, no evidence for it, rabies and smallpox have maintained their lethality for thousands of years as evidence against it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    They are such self-indulgent, posturing, adolescent twats. What if there is actually a very big rebellion and the Brexit deal is somehow voted down? It is highly unlikely but not impossible.

Then we get No Deal. That is what the Lib Dems are literally voting for. And the SNP. No Deal.

Let the Lib Dems be expunged from history. There is no reason for them to exist any more.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    The UK's hard stance on Huawei may make us a better friend to Biden the EU. Who would have thought?
This discussion has been closed.