Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cyclefree gives her Predictions for 2021 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Swedish holiday delayed figures are out.

On the 23rd they had 11,380 new Covid cases

That's the equivalent of 74,142 cases in the UK.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,372

Yokes said:

So everyone will blame the politicians for the Covid response. I blame the NHS and the mandarins in large part.

Yep, the NHS is at fault. They had months to prep for this, they cant get away (hopefully) with throwing care home residents back out of hospital, they have had money thrown at them. Most worrying of all, they appear to be spending a tremendous amount of time knocking on to the media about how much of a disaster its all going to be. It appears to be becoming a God complex. I just heard an interview, and it was set piece not a phone in, where a nurse was amneting the current situation. Well tough, you signed up. We get its tough but there is no magic wand. The calls for action, the 'do something' before additional measures have been allowed to take effect, which takes weeks, seem to be grasping at straws.

Until the sainted, centre of the universe status given to the NHS is removed then they are unchallenged. The scandal of being people being sent back to care homes, who the fuck is being dragged up for scrutiny there? Thats an operational and policy decision by the NHS.

At the beginning of last week I spoke with someone working in NHS pperations in an area of Northern Ireland that has had a notably hard time. How was it? Aparently not as bad as its being made out. Its tough but they pointed out the service comes under pressure like this every few years in winter. ICU beds occasionally go into near or over capacity. Of course some areas are suffering worse than others but do we really know, we hear anout every hospital getting full but its also patchy in terms of the degree of pressure.

What really takes the biscuit though is in Scotland, where NHS back office staff, ie that are not in anyway working in clincal settings, have apprently been bumping the queue registering themselves for getting the vaccine. Really? Who is allowing this to happen? Is it hapenning elsewhere? Possibly. There's your sainted heroes for you.

Its fine being a salaried, pensioned civil servant, it impacts on your outlook. Unfortunately most of the population isnt and it is becoming incresingly difficult for the public to really get the picture if all we hear is cry wolf, we do not know how real it is anymore, or not. We have lost any proportion in what the message is, the media eat it up and regurgitate it. Concern is not terror, but there are days when you feel that is exactly what is bering spread by people who should know better.

ICU occupancy rates are below average levels in most regions, according to Toby Young. I haven't seen anybody contradict that assertion.
    My info is that in London it's close to overflow. Real crisis coming.

As for Tobes, he's surpassed himself. Tweeting photos of "empty hospitals" to further his case that there is no problem, they turn out to be pictures from 2012. Of Guantanamo Bay.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,184

An independent Scotland would have different spending priorities than the UK. For example, it would not seek to be a world power, and would spend less on defence. It would spend more on social needs. That would be the case whichever party was in power in an independent Scotland, probably even the Conservatives, as if they followed hard right policies, they would not be elected.

Not true for Ireland which now spends less and taxes less as a percentage of gdp than the UK.

In fact in recent years both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have followed a near Thatcherite economic agenda
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    Embarrassing more like, we now need charity from Ireland, how the tables have turned.
    It’s not charity. They have decided to extend a benefit they provide to RoI citizens in RoI to dual citizens in NI. They then decided (for simplicity or just to irritate the DUP) to extend it to U.K.-only citizens in NI
    Sticking in unionists craws though, first UNICEF helping out with starving children , now the Irish who they are always slagging off as poor country hicks providing charity in NI.
    I don’t think I’ve seen any unionist on here slagging off the Irish as “poor country hicks”
    You obviously must be ignoring those then , was not long ago they wanted to starve them as well. England has always derided the Irish as being dumb , poor , etc. They have everlasting resentment that Ireland chucked them out.
    You know my mother's family history in Ireland, right?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:

ICU occupancy rates are below average levels in most regions, according to Toby Young. I haven't seen anybody contradict that assertion.

https://twitter.com/sbattrawden/status/1343659288787628033
    That is not evidence, it is anecdotal bullsh8t. It also does not refute Young's claim.

Um, no, A says that x is evidence that x. The problem is innumerate twits who misunderstand and then over-generalise some special rules which apply to medical interventions only, and think that Toby Young's utterances are exempt from those rules anyway.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

So everyone will blame the politicians for the Covid response. I blame the NHS and the mandarins in large part.

Yep, the NHS is at fault. They had months to prep for this, they cant get away (hopefully) with throwing care home residents back out of hospital, they have had money thrown at them. Most worrying of all, they appear to be spending a tremendous amount of time knocking on to the media about how much of a disaster its all going to be. It appears to be becoming a God complex. I just heard an interview, and it was set piece not a phone in, where a nurse was amneting the current situation. Well tough, you signed up. We get its tough but there is no magic wand. The calls for action, the 'do something' before additional measures have been allowed to take effect, which takes weeks, seem to be grasping at straws.

Until the sainted, centre of the universe status given to the NHS is removed then they are unchallenged. The scandal of being people being sent back to care homes, who the fuck is being dragged up for scrutiny there? Thats an operational and policy decision by the NHS.

At the beginning of last week I spoke with someone working in NHS pperations in an area of Northern Ireland that has had a notably hard time. How was it? Aparently not as bad as its being made out. Its tough but they pointed out the service comes under pressure like this every few years in winter. ICU beds occasionally go into near or over capacity. Of course some areas are suffering worse than others but do we really know, we hear anout every hospital getting full but its also patchy in terms of the degree of pressure.

What really takes the biscuit though is in Scotland, where NHS back office staff, ie that are not in anyway working in clincal settings, have apprently been bumping the queue registering themselves for getting the vaccine. Really? Who is allowing this to happen? Is it hapenning elsewhere? Possibly. There's your sainted heroes for you.

Its fine being a salaried, pensioned civil servant, it impacts on your outlook. Unfortunately most of the population isnt and it is becoming incresingly difficult for the public to really get the picture if all we hear is cry wolf, we do not know how real it is anymore, or not. We have lost any proportion in what the message is, the media eat it up and regurgitate it. Concern is not terror, but there are days when you feel that is exactly what is bering spread by people who should know better.

As for Tobes, he's surpassed himself. Tweeting photos of "empty hospitals" to further his case that there is no problem, they turn out to be pictures from 2012. Of Guantanamo Bay.
    More anecdotal bullsh8t and desperate strawmanning.

Young's numbers are from the NHS's own data.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,309
    edited December 2020
    Alistair said:

Will the 'why can't we be more like Sweden' lads ever get their hearts desire?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

That is not evidence, it is anecdotal bullsh8t. It also does not refute Young's claim.

Um, no, A says that x is evidence that x. The problem is innumerate twits who misunderstand and then over-generalise some special rules which apply to medical interventions only, and think that Toby Young's utterances are exempt from those rules anyway.
    Young's data is compiled from the NHS's own numbers and nobody has come up with a set of numbers to refute it.

Just shrill anecdotal alarmism
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,309
    edited December 2020
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    Embarrassing more like, we now need charity from Ireland, how the tables have turned.
    It’s not charity. They have decided to extend a benefit they provide to RoI citizens in RoI to dual citizens in NI. They then decided (for simplicity or just to irritate the DUP) to extend it to U.K.-only citizens in NI
    Sticking in unionists craws though, first UNICEF helping out with starving children , now the Irish who they are always slagging off as poor country hicks providing charity in NI.
    I don’t think I’ve seen any unionist on here slagging off the Irish as “poor country hicks”
    You obviously must be ignoring those then , was not long ago they wanted to starve them as well. England has always derided the Irish as being dumb , poor , etc. They have everlasting resentment that Ireland chucked them out.
    Despite your best efforts not everyone knows your family history.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    Yes, it’s very embarrassing for UNICEF to help children in London.

https://inews.co.uk/news/unicef-child-poverty-hungry-children-coronvirus-first-time-797077

And Aberdeen and Edinburgh

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/unicef-funds-food-hampers-edinburgh-families-struggling-during-pandemic-3067519

Oh, hold on, that’s an SNP matter. It happened despite their policies on FSM.

And if you don’t believe the Scotsman, here it is in the National:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18948073.unicef-help-feed-children-uk-first-time-70-years/

It is disgraceful that we can’t feed children properly, but it isn’t just a unionist problem.
    Given that social security and Family Credit are not devolved and that Scotish income tax favours the less well paid, I think you need to look more to the UK government than the Scottish one (which, for instance, is mitigating the bedroom tax).
    ‘it happened despite their policies on FSM.’
    London runs Scotland and controls the budgets, shame on the greedy barstewards, I hope they get their just desserts. Noted that you ignore that it is reserved powers to London as usual.
    FSM are a reserved power to London? Then how come the SNP extended them?

Or are the National and the Scotsman both lying?
    The issue is that ift he Scxottish Government deviates from London policy it has to take the money from elsewhere within the overall budget determined by London, and/or tax a bit more. That is where the moneyt for the bedroom tax mitigation and FSM comes from.
    I am aware of that.

My point is, even having used those powers, it hasn’t been enough to avoid Scotland needing international aid, just as has happened in England.

Now you might argue with perfect justification that there are a number of very good reasons for that. After all, Scotland is a poorer country than England, and has massive legacy problems with poverty, drug addiction and housing that are certainly not the fault of the SNP - in fact, many of them have defeated governments of all types for over fifty years.

But MalcolmG was, rather disgustingly, trying to make a political point out of it by implying it only affected countries governed by ‘unionists.’ I was pointing out he was wrong.

Edit - and truthfully, the main question we should be asking about all of this, as with foodbanks, is why they are needed, and how do we change matters so they stop being needed?
    In fairness to Malcy, the Londion Gmt are (a) unionists and (b) in charge of several major factors that affect familial income.

We do have people who think food banks are a good thing as that lets us give charitably. But that's uncomfortablu like the arguments of the early C19 (IIRC 1840s for the shift from parish relief to a Poor Law in Scotland).

I was meaning to ask you, out of interest as you actually work at the chalkface, do you think FSMs are a good thing? For all children or just the poor?
    They are a very good thing, but especially for those whose parents can’t afford lots of food at home. It means they get one good meal a day, which helps nutritionally (very important in a child - all that growing they do) and educationally (hunger is one the biggest causes of disruptive behaviour). It also means the money parents do have can go further.

There is a case, particularly at primary school, for giving all children the same school meal paid for by the govenrment. This would mean there’s no singling out of children whose parents are poorer over it, and ensure standards of nutrition are maintained for all children (I think many people would be unpleasantly surprised to learn just how many children eat only crisps and sweets at lunchtime, and that’s nothing to do with money). Unfortunately, that breaks down not so much over cost as over logistics (again, many people were I think shocked at the revelation of how few schools have kitchens).

But actually, breakfast clubs are even more important for poorer children, because otherwise it can be 18 hours between decent meals - far, far too long for a child - and much energy and learning is done in the morning.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

An independent Scotland would have different spending priorities than the UK. For example, it would not seek to be a world power, and would spend less on defence. It would spend more on social needs. That would be the case whichever party was in power in an independent Scotland, probably even the Conservatives, as if they followed hard right policies, they would not be elected.

Not true for Ireland which now spends less and taxes less as a percentage of gdp than the UK.

In fact in recent years both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have followed a near Thatcherite economic agenda
    Which is precisely why Scotland should go independent.

Thatcherism works. Ireland discovered that and haven't looked back.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Yokes said:

Not that the weasel word 'apprently' (sic) makes me at all suspicious, but any proof of this?
    Proof .. well, it was reported in the Daily Merkle a few days ago.

https://tinyurl.com/ydhappdh

The DM seems to have found some outraged (but anonymous) nurses at RAH, Paisley.

if it were really true, I would have expected the story to have gathered some momentum since 22 December.

So, my guess is it is bollox.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The only Swedish model I’m following for the foreseeable* is Frida Gustavsson.

*Until she has me arrested for stalking, probably.
  • Options

Former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has been accused of breaking Tier 4 lockdown rules after meeting three people, including his brother, on his doorstep on Christmas Day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9095135/Did-Jeremy-Corbyn-break-rules-Ex-Labour-leader-filmed-brother-two-Christmas-Day.html

Hope he didn't let the brother in and I don't say this from a Covid perspective.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:

I texted Young's tweet to a Doctor friend on the front line, his views.

Young is citing ten day old stats, I'm not sure if you've been paying attention to the news things have accelerated since then. If he used yesterday's figures when available he might bang a different tune.

Also, Young might not realise that not all Covid-19 patients are being treated in ICU, and given the way it progresses ICU is a lagging indicator, especially ten day old stats.

I'm sure once the Christmas hall pass figures are taken into account then Young will stop citing these stats the way he used to pimp the Sweden stats.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,769
    I see that a goat walked across Malc's bridge.

Think I'll take a break this afternoon,
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,974

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Young's data is compiled from the NHS's own numbers and nobody has come up with a set of numbers to refute it.

This isn't a steady state: the numbers are going up. And ICU numbers a priori lag behind admissions which lag behind onsets.

At the moment the Government website has 2115 patients admitted on 21 December (nothinbg later). The worst peak in the spring was something like 2.5K (averaging out a bit).

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/unicef-child-poverty-hungry-children-coronvirus-first-time-797077

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/unicef-funds-food-hampers-edinburgh-families-struggling-during-pandemic-3067519

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18948073.unicef-help-feed-children-uk-first-time-70-years/

It is disgraceful that we can’t feed children properly, but it isn’t just a unionist problem.
    Unionists control it from London , despite the best efforts of Scottish Government using some of their meagre pocket money to alleviate poverty , they have no chance of overcoming London policies.
    You just cannot get your head round or understand what "Powers Reserved to London" means do you.
    You mean, like a second referendum?

Or is that a power that’s somehow magically not reserved to London, because only when the SNP have failed in something is it London’s fault?
    I mean like any meaningful power, you unionists are shit scared to allow a referendum, despite constantly telling u show poor , stupid , etc we are and unable to look after ourselves. The buck stops in London , they are in control.
    Ummm...again, Malc, I have always said that an SNP majority next year should lead to another referendum.

Unfortunately, what you and others here are demonstrating is that Scotsnats literally have passed reason. You don’t care what facts are, you just twist or invent them to suit your agenda. You are reminding me, right now, very much of Donald Trump.

My suspicion is that as a result Scotland will do a Brexit-style departure from the UK, on the back of a number of these twisted facts becoming impossible promises, and at the end when Nats are celebrating ‘freedom’ everyone else will be wondering if the marginal gain in independence was worth the cost.
    It will be worth it , impossible to make a worse hash of it than London does and hopefully will mean other real Scottish political parties will emerge rather than the sad sack London ones we have now that provide no opposition or sense to debates. Anything will be better than what we have now.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

felix said:
    Despite your best efforts not everyone knows your family history.
    I've posted about it in the past in a discussion with @Cyclefree on this topic.

My uncle has a lot of our family papers on the Famine in Connaught and I wrote a dissertation on it
  • Options

Yokes said:

The spokesman for the Welsh Health Department yesterday said that they have 241 ICU beds in total and occupancy is normally around 150. They were at 210 as of yesterday and expected to run out before the end of the week.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031

Scott_xP said:

What would she know, she's not Toby Young ffs.
    She could be an expert and Britain has had enough of experts.
  • Options
    Plaid will again ignore the vote of Welsh voters to leave the EU

https://twitter.com/Adamprice/status/1343912779938455552?s=20
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,031

kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Link please.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Link please.
    don;t have the technology, but the graphic is easily findable on his twitter stream.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

Now there is a hostage to fortune in the second sentence...leaving aside 2007 when they supported Morgan instead of turfing out Labour (in fairness, largely the fault of the Liberal Democrats rather than Plaid).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Given that social security and Family Credit are not devolved and that Scotish income tax favours the less well paid, I think you need to look more to the UK government than the Scottish one (which, for instance, is mitigating the bedroom tax).
    London runs Scotland and controls the budgets, shame on the greedy barstewards, I hope they get their just desserts. Noted that you ignore that it is reserved powers to London as usual.

The issue is that ift he Scxottish Government deviates from London policy it has to take the money from elsewhere within the overall budget determined by London, and/or tax a bit more. That is where the moneyt for the bedroom tax mitigation and FSM comes from.
    I am aware of that.

My point is, even having used those powers, it hasn’t been enough to avoid Scotland needing international aid, just as has happened in England.

Now you might argue with perfect justification that there are a number of very good reasons for that. After all, Scotland is a poorer country than England, and has massive legacy problems with poverty, drug addiction and housing that are certainly not the fault of the SNP - in fact, many of them have defeated governments of all types for over fifty years.

But MalcolmG was, rather disgustingly, trying to make a political point out of it by implying it only affected countries governed by ‘unionists.’ I was pointing out he was wrong.

Edit - and truthfully, the main question we should be asking about all of this, as with foodbanks, is why they are needed, and how do we change matters so they stop being needed?
    You were trying and failing to point out I was wrong. I correctly pointed out that it is dumb unionists in London who have created the poverty in Scotland and England and Wales and NI. Scotland who actually have a higher GDP than anywhere except London despite unionists best efforts.
    Foodbanks etc are needed due to the greed and shit policies of Tories.
    So - you’re basically in agreement with me that the SNP attempts to mitigate it have failed, and that is why UNICEF needed to provide food aid in Scotland?
    What I am saying is that the small amount they can do under the constraints of London rule means they are unable to alleviate the poverty. Who knows what they could do if they had the budget of their own country rather than pocket money and extremely limited powers to change anything.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

We left the EU nearly a year ago you moron.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited December 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.

The Spectator which I am sure is the word of God to you shows for 20 December everywhere pretty much average, but SE above average and London way above average

https://data.spectator.co.uk/city/nhs
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I am aware of that.

In fairness to Malcy, the Londion Gmt are (a) unionists and (b) in charge of several major factors that affect familial income.

We do have people who think food banks are a good thing as that lets us give charitably. But that's uncomfortablu like the arguments of the early C19 (IIRC 1840s for the shift from parish relief to a Poor Law in Scotland).

I was meaning to ask you, out of interest as you actually work at the chalkface, do you think FSMs are a good thing? For all children or just the poor?
    They are a very good thing, but especially for those whose parents can’t afford lots of food at home. It means they get one good meal a day, which helps nutritionally (very important in a child - all that growing they do) and educationally (hunger is one the biggest causes of disruptive behaviour). It also means the money parents do have can go further.

There is a case, particularly at primary school, for giving all children the same school meal paid for by the govenrment. This would mean there’s no singling out of children whose parents are poorer over it, and ensure standards of nutrition are maintained for all children (I think many people would be unpleasantly surprised to learn just how many children eat only crisps and sweets at lunchtime, and that’s nothing to do with money). Unfortunately, that breaks down not so much over cost as over logistics (again, many people were I think shocked at the revelation of how few schools have kitchens).

But actually, breakfast clubs are even more important for poorer children, because otherwise it can be 18 hours between decent meals - far, far too long for a child - and much energy and learning is done in the morning.
    Thanks for that. It all makes excellent sense. I've been struck by the filthy mess of chip papers and sweety wrappers the local teenagers leave between their two secondary schools and the nearest supermarkets and fast-food places, and have often wondered ...
  • Options

Yokes said:

Not that the weasel word 'apprently' (sic) makes me at all suspicious, but any proof of this?

The DM seems to have found some outraged (but anonymous) nurses at RAH, Paisley.

if it were really true, I would have expected the story to have gathered some momentum since 22 December.

Probably, but the killer combo of the Daily Mail and 'a nurse insider' (which seems to have mysteriously shrunk from 'nurses' at the start of the piece) certainly gives one pause for thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

We left the EU nearly a year ago you moron.
    They voted against the Withdrawal Agreement too and are now voting against the Brexit trade Deal
  • Options

Yokes said:

The spokesman for the Welsh Health Department yesterday said that they have 241 ICU beds in total and occupancy is normally around 150. They were at 210 as of yesterday and expected to run out before the end of the week.
    Normal for the summer or normal for this time of year?

If you look at Young's graphic it would be very unusual to have an ICU occupancy below 70% or even 80% at this time of year.

See what they did there?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I am aware of that.

You were trying and failing to point out I was wrong. I correctly pointed out that it is dumb unionists in London who have created the poverty in Scotland and England and Wales and NI. Scotland who actually have a higher GDP than anywhere except London despite unionists best efforts.
    Foodbanks etc are needed due to the greed and shit policies of Tories.
    So - you’re basically in agreement with me that the SNP attempts to mitigate it have failed, and that is why UNICEF needed to provide food aid in Scotland?
    What I am saying is that the small amount they can do under the constraints of London rule means they are unable to alleviate the poverty. Who knows what they could do if they had the budget of their own country rather than pocket money and extremely limited powers to change anything.
    So - the SNP have tried to do something, and have failed, and therefore it’s the fault of the unionists.

So to come back to your original point, regardless of powers or geographical location, it’s the unionists’ fault because they are unionists?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Brilliant!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.
    This the tweet, note the date he's using to make the comparison.

Nearly 10 day old figures.

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1343913555482042370

(also doesn't take into account that not every Covid-19 patient is in ICU at the moment, there's HDUs as well.)
  • Options

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Link please.
    don;t have the technology, but the graphic is easily findable on his twitter stream.
    There's a 'copy link' under the symbol with arrow on the bottom rh of every tweet, you can c&p the tweet with the graphic on it very easily.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Yokes said:

If you look at Young's graphic it would be very unusual to have an ICU occupancy below 70% or even 80% at this time of year.

See what they did there?
    Let's "see what they did there" in mid-January, when despite the usual winter flu cases largely failing to materialise on their wards, it has been massively swapped out for Covid. With the ensuing breakage of the NHS in various little places, like London and Wales.

I look forward to you coming back then and apologising.

Yeah, right.....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.
    Very easily findable on his twitter stream.

I seriously hope he's wrong and hope you can prove him wrong. Because if he isn;t, something is wrong.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,027
    edited December 2020

Yokes said:

See what they did there?
    Well since 80% of 241 would be 193, the 210 quoted for yesterday is still above average and running out by the end of the week is definitely above average.

Edit. See what I did there? Its called maths.
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Brilliant!
    He certainly is. We should treasure him.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,031

Andy_JS said:

Bulgaria and the Czech Republic have moved ahead of the UK in terms of deaths per capita from Covid-19. Not sure what type of lockdowns they have in those countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Prize for most misguided celebration.....

Czechs hold 'farewell party' for pandemic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53244688
    Unbelievably stupid, looking at the photos on that BBC page. At the time they'd had just 350 deaths, now it's 11,300.
  • Options

Yokes said:

Probably, but the killer combo of the Daily Mail and 'a nurse insider' (which seems to have mysteriously shrunk from 'nurses' at the start of the piece) certainly gives one pause for thought.
    Also, the wor45ding is sneaky - it gives the impression all the admin staff were done first. But it could have been one or two who were rounded up quickly to use up the last drops in the vial of the day. Remember what Foxy said about how these things were done - they grabbed as many NHS folk as they could on the spot or were phoneupandcomeinable to use up the day's drops once the oldies were done.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    HYUFD said:
    So allowing for a bit of fraying around the edges and people strangely unable to get their technology to work on the day, the Brexit deal vote looks ballpark 500-100.

A Brexit arrangement "overwhelmingly passed by this House...." as Boris will no doubt often remind us.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,579

Tories good at burning Scotland's cash............

Why are we paying for this, #Scotland?

UK Tory Govt's Scotland Office has revealed soaring costs

Spin doctors up 280%
    Spending on comms tripled
    Advertising spend up tenfold
    >> Overall spending +73%

Thanks for the continued insight you give us into Nat Facebook memes Malc. Always good to know what's doing the rounds.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Bulgaria and the Czech Republic have moved ahead of the UK in terms of deaths per capita from Covid-19. Not sure what type of lockdowns they have in those countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Prize for most misguided celebration.....

Czechs hold 'farewell party' for pandemic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53244688
    Unbelievably stupid, looking at the photos on that BBC page. At the time they'd had just 350 deaths, now it's 11,300.
    All it needed was a massive banner in the background saying ‘mission accomplished.’
  • Options

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Link please.
    There's a 'copy link' under the symbol with arrow on the bottom rh of every tweet, you can c&p the tweet with the graphic on it very easily.
    thanks

TSE posted it.

As I say, I want Young to be wrong. I want to know the enormous sacrifices the ordinary people of Britain are making, and will be making for decades to come, are being made in a good cause.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It's good that someone with Gavin Esler's views is asking questions about the Nightingale Hospitals instead of just saying "they don't have the staff" as if that someone explains why millions were spent setting them up if there might not have been enough people to staff them.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.

(also doesn't take into account that not every Covid-19 patient is in ICU at the moment, there's HDUs as well.)
    2017-18 was apparently the worst winter bed crisis on record (up to now). Handy that it falls within that 3 year average, eh?
  • Options
    I loved these books as a child but there is something deeply disturbing about the worldview underlying the stories.
  • Options

I went an dug around in the ONS numbers - it turns out that the the hospitalisation rates they are using *are* based on the percentage of that age group in the population. So when they say 137.2 per 100k hospitalisation rate for over 85s - that means 137.2 per 100 thousand people over the age of 85....

I used 2019 census data to create this

Age Deaths Hospitalisations Number
    85 years and over 41.75% 23.20% 1,647,271
    75 to 84 years 32.82% 25.75% 4,040,624
    65 to 74 years 15.14% 17.91% 6,687,066
    45 to 64 years 9.24% 21.74% 17,224,230
    15 to 44 years 1.03% 9.84% 25,236,635
    1 to 14 years 0.01% 1.50% 11,238,100
    Under 1 year 0.00% 0.05% 722,881

Thanks, that's very helpful. So it's a little better than I thought, but not much better. About 34% of hospitalizations are under 65s, so if over 65s were completely removed by vaccination it's still less than two doublings in the rest of the population to bring it back to crisis. Looks like vaccinating down to about 45* would, with spread hopefully also slowed by immunity, make it safe to relax restrictions a good amount.

*coincidentally my age next year...

--AS
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    So allowing for a bit of fraying around the edges and people strangely unable to get their technology to work on the day, the Brexit deal vote looks ballpark 500-100.

A Brexit arrangement "overwhelmingly passed by this House...." as Boris will no doubt often remind us.
    Would Boris want to share credit for the deal with the House or keep it for himself?

No doubt he will be reiterating that he Got Brexit Done - despite the claim in February that was now forbidden to say since we got it done in January.
  • Options

Yokes said:

See what they did there?
    We may disagree on much but I quite enjoy your posts and would wish you no harm. So please do not spend too long looking at "Young's graphic". And I don't mean just this one.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Yokes said:

I would be very surprised if this is not happening, at least on a small scale, everywhere. It certainly is at the hospital (in PA, USA) where my wife works. Physicians, even surgeons, who are not in the top priority group (i.e. those who do not perform aerosol-generating procedures) are even lying to get bumped up.

Surprisingly, among non-physician and non-nurse healthcare workers at the hospital, the opposite problem exists - getting some of them to agree to get the vaccine.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I am aware of that.

Thanks for that. It all makes excellent sense. I've been struck by the filthy mess of chip papers and sweety wrappers the local teenagers leave between their two secondary schools and the nearest supermarkets and fast-food places, and have often wondered ...
    Of course, I should point out, providing the food is only step 1. Step 2 is persuading them to eat a nice jacket potato and filling rather than a Mackies....
  • Options

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Yokes said:

Link please.
    thanks

TSE posted it.

As I say, I want Young to be wrong.
    Good news! He is.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    Surely:

France is Cheese
    Denmark is Bacon
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.
    Very easily findable on his twitter stream.

I seriously hope he's wrong and hope you can prove him wrong. Because if he isn;t, something is wrong.
    Why are you giving any credence at all to someone who pretends that photos of empty beds in Guantanamo in 2012 are evidence of empty beds in NHS hospitals today? Just how gullible are you?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,220
    Andy_JS said:

It's good that someone with Gavin Esler's views is asking questions about the Nightingale Hospitals instead of just saying "they don't have the staff" as if that someone explains why millions were spent setting them up if there might not have been enough people to staff them.

https://twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1343680374321405957
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Rates across the UK looking awful today. Scotland hit 1800 odd positive, Northern Ireland 1400 odd. Englands rate is going to be awful when released
  • Options

Surely:

France is Cheese
    Denmark is Bacon

Yorkshire is pudding?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

My surgery has just contacted me to make an appointment for the jab at 2pm tomorrow and a second jab on Jan 20th.

Wow - that's fast and efficient. I'm in the 75-80 cohort. I think the over 80s are all jabbed here.

Good news again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited December 2020
    Barnesian said:

My surgery has just contacted me to make an appointment for the jab at 2pm tomorrow and a second jab on Jan 20th.

Wow - that's fast and efficient. I'm in the 75-80 cohort. I think the over 80s are all jabbed here.

Nationwide things seem a bit patchy. My elderly and very high risk parents still no sign of getting it. They literally tick every box for COVID danger.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Unionists control it from London , despite the best efforts of Scottish Government using some of their meagre pocket money to alleviate poverty , they have no chance of overcoming London policies.
    You just cannot get your head round or understand what "Powers Reserved to London" means do you.

Or is that a power that’s somehow magically not reserved to London, because only when the SNP have failed in something is it London’s fault?
    I mean like any meaningful power, you unionists are shit scared to allow a referendum, despite constantly telling u show poor , stupid , etc we are and unable to look after ourselves. The buck stops in London , they are in control.
    Ummm...again, Malc, I have always said that an SNP majority next year should lead to another referendum.

Unfortunately, what you and others here are demonstrating is that Scotsnats literally have passed reason. You don’t care what facts are, you just twist or invent them to suit your agenda. You are reminding me, right now, very much of Donald Trump.

My suspicion is that as a result Scotland will do a Brexit-style departure from the UK, on the back of a number of these twisted facts becoming impossible promises, and at the end when Nats are celebrating ‘freedom’ everyone else will be wondering if the marginal gain in independence was worth the cost.
    I'm surprised you use Trump as an example of twisting facts when a more glaring and odious example is so much closer to home.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    edited December 2020

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.

Cases are increasing by about 1/4 to 1/3 every week. As ICU is proportional to that, it suggests they are just about hitting capacity now. There won't be enough beds in a couple of weeks time.

Edit on Toby's actual point. There are more beds available now, so the Trust directors may well be telling the truth that they are treating more patients even if occupancy is slightly lower.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Fantastic news. We are going to get through this quicker than people realise.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Barnesian said:

My dad is 80 and he hasn't been contacted yet. But he's not on any medication or anything like that so maybe he's at the bottom of the queue of people in that age group.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I'm surprised you use Trump as an example of twisting facts when a more glaring and odious example is so much closer to home.
    But it’s bad form to be constantly talking about the excesses of one’s Johnson.

(Besides, Trump has Scottish heritage.)
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Roger, I think you've jumped the shark if you think there is someone more odious than Trump.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.

2017-18 was apparently the worst winter bed crisis on record (up to now). Handy that it falls within that 3 year average, eh?
    Indeed.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    That's date-reported.

On By-specimen-date we are still below the October peak of 1,685.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Roger, I think you've jumped the shark if you think there is someone more odious than Trump.
    Well, there are several, in fact. But Kim Jong Un, Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin are fortunately not significantly closer to my home.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited December 2020
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's date-reported.

On By-specimen-date we are still below the October peak of 1,685.
    They have only had 9 months to get this shit right....its is particular piss poor, given it has already been stated that over Christmas the daily reporting numbers will be highly variable.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The ERG confirming what we always knew, that they will do anything, no matter how stupid, for Cash.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Ohhhh no fun....would have been much more entertaining to hear they had decided it hadn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Andy_JS said:

The Nightingales song will never be sung, it seems. Regardless of how bad things get they will not be a part of the response. They gave public morale a boost back then but that looks to be about the size of it. Another pricey 'PR over Practicality' initiative?
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1343685284609871873
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The Deal should now pass comfortably then whatever Labour do given the Tory majority of 80, Labour support simply ensures it passes with a landslide Commons vote.

What a contrast to the WA votes.
    https://twitter.com/EleniCourea/status/1343929017062330368?s=20
  • Options

twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1343929027506167810?s=20

Gavin Williamson smashing it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

deleted for muppetry

Shame. I think you'd have made a great muppet!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Show us the numbers.

Cases are increasing by about 1/4 to 1/3 every week. As ICU is proportional to that, it suggests they are just about hitting capacity now. There won't be enough beds in a couple of weeks time.

Edit on Toby's actual point. There are more beds available now, so the Trust directors may well be telling the truth that they are treating more patients even if occupancy is slightly lower.
    Further point again, not all ICU is in A&E. I suspect most intensive COVID treatment isn't happening in A&E
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Well, there are several, in fact. But Kim Jong Un, Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin are fortunately not significantly closer to my home.
    Guessing you're not a geography teacher in your spare time?

Moscow is significantly closed to your home than Washington DC.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Deal should now pass comfortably then whatever Labour do given the Tory majority of 80, Labour support simply ensures it passes with a landslide Commons vote.

Labour therefore voting for something Bill Cash and the ERG really really like.

Politics eh. Complex and dirty game. Glad I only have to observe rather than play.
  • Options
    Good and probably sensible to announce them on the same day.

If AZN is approved then combined with the new variant there's really no logical reason not to squish this in January and February with a vaccine rollout, staying at home through the torrid winter months then getting back to normal in the Spring.

Better than dragging out Tiers through the Spring and Summer as everything has collapsed slowing the vaccine rollout.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Politics eh. Complex and dirty game. Glad I only have to observe rather than play.
    Not for the first time they have voted that way either.

Labour have provided the bulk of the ERG's votes in the lobbies since 2019 began.
  • Options
    What a dire list of cabinet members. I wouldn't rate a single one of them, with the exception maybe of Douglas Ross.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Party systems find it difficult to cope when something cuts across party lines.

And oppositions always find it difficult when they think the government is acting in the national interest.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

What a dire list of cabinet members. I wouldn't rate a single one of them, with the exception maybe of Douglas Ross.
    No good. Disloyal. Given what he's been saying up here in Scotland.

I was interested to see that Baroness-to-be Davidson has been dropped from the menu.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    TimT said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Trump is the most admired man in America apparently, edging out Obama.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/531906-trump-ends-obamas-12-year-run-as-most-admired-man-gallup
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Why are Davies and Ross separated out from the rest? Seems really odd presentation.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    TimT said:

FF43 said:

Why are Davies and Ross separated out from the rest? Seems really odd presentation.
    Presumably because they aren't seen as real politicians? Not being in Westminster.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

TimT said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Trump is the most admired man in America apparently, edging out Obama.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/531906-trump-ends-obamas-12-year-run-as-most-admired-man-gallup
    Next they'll be saying that Marmite if Britain's favorite food ...
  • Options

Yokes said:

See what they did there?
    210/241 = 87% so you fail on both counts.
This discussion has been closed.