Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Georgia runoffs are looking very tight – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    dixiedean said:

Denied the chance to run rings round a Covid crippled City...
    11-0 and we'd have gone top.
    So unfair.

You deserve to be awarded the win, if your opponents can’t behave themselves off the pitch.

I believe 3-0 is the standard scoreline awarded to the team who shows up.
  • Options
    So from Pfizer the EU will have been able to vaccinate 100 million by end September:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1343600155875008519?s=20
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

We are having fish pakorae for tea. Made with cod from Iceland.

Perhaps next week we'll try pilchards.

If you can still find parmesan..
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pilchard-puttanesca
    We've got plenty of parmesan. Just need the pilchards now...
  • Options
    Absolute bargain.

Caviar Introduces Custom 'Pure Gold' AirPods Max for $108,000

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/28/caviar-pure-gold-airpods-max/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

The schools policy is untenable, this Government is dangerously incompetent

In fairness Horse, it’s not the government only, it is the civil servants at the DfE, who have been demonstrating dangerous incompetence with unbearable smugness since 1944.
  • Options

Absolute bargain.

Wow, and there was me thinking that Tag-Heuer’s new £1,500 smart watch was the worst value for money item I’d hear about today.
  • Options

Foxy said:

FPT - a grim record:

As you can see from my summaries, there are very big gaps in the data.

Tomorrow will be Murder Tuesday with a vengeance.
    Wednesdays figures will be the bad ones, I think.
    Waverley (ex-Tier 2, changing to 4 on Boxing Day) has cases up 135% (274->471) on last week. People from the surrounding Tier 4 areas flooded in for Christmas shopping and eating out. It's a good example of why Tier designation should not be in small geographical areas but at the least by region.
    Sadly the Tier 4 folk were too stupid/selfish/ignorant to follow the rules.

Same thing happening up here with people heading from West Yorkshire to North Yorkshire to go on the lash.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

stodge said:

Indeed.

I made a similar point at the end of that thread - you see that difference not just in the UK but across Europe. The same was true about Switzerland too, along with the UK one of the only nations not to have been occupied by a foreign power since the start of the 20th century.

Yet you have Sweden which is part of the EU but not the Eurozone and Ireland which is both part of the EU and part of the EuroZone.

Ireland is why I chose a starting date of the start of the twentieth century and not since WWII. Being occupied is most certainly a part of Irish folk history.

Sweden is a more Eurosceptic semi divorced outside like the UK was pre Brexit, as you said outside of the Eurozone.
    Didn't Sweden rule Norway in the early years of the 20th C?
    Norway was also occupied by the Nazis. It is one of the exceptions - history of occupation but not integrating.
    And a right mess we made of trying to help them fight the Nazis off.
    The Norwegian campaign was certainly a right mess, but actually we had planned to occupy Norway, just that Germany got there first. We were expecting to be welcomed, though I am not sure that was realistic.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Scott_xP said:
    Is it because they want to rethink their opposition to May's deal after all?
  • Options

Absolute bargain.

Hard to tell if that is irony from an Apple fan.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    ydoethur said:

@TSE

On the previous thread you said to conquer England you should have the first name Julius or William.

Leaving aside Sweyn Forkbeard, have you forgotten that Julius Caesar actually failed in both his attempted invasions of Britannia? So actually the first name you need is Flavius, not Julius.

Edit - that’ll teach me to post without checking. I thought Vespasian was in command of the force, but at that time he was only Legatus of II Augusta and Aulus Plautius was the overall commander.

So Aulus experts got it wrong...

Surely Tiberius? T. Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus was the one i/c and turned up for the big defeat and victory parade with elephants (not Elefants) in Camulodunum. and the one who got hailed as Imperator.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2020
    The latest polling has Warnock winning but Perdue holding on which would mean the Democrats pick up one of the Georgia Senate seats but the GOP hold the other.

That would make Biden the first incoming President not to see his party have control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989.

The GOP would have a 1 seat Senate majority with Mitt Romney having the casting vote (Romney being the only GOP Senator who voted to impeach Trump), effectively making Romney the most powerful figure in US politics from January after Biden himself
    https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1343424698311438337?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

On the previous thread you said to conquer England you should have the first name Julius or William.

Leaving aside Sweyn Forkbeard, have you forgotten that Julius Caesar actually failed in both his attempted invasions of Britannia? So actually the first name you need is Flavius, not Julius.

Edit - that’ll teach me to post without checking. I thought Vespasian was in command of the force, but at that time he was only Legatus of II Augusta and Aulus Plautius was the overall commander.

Surely Tiberius? T. Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus was the one i/c and turned up for the big defeat and victory parade with elephants (not Elefants) in Camulodunum. and the one who got hailed as Imperator.
    He was the Emperor. But he was only there for 16 days and took part in no fighting, although mysteriously he took the title ‘Britannicus’ to note he was the conqueror of Britannia.
  • Options
    Post-Brexit, India and UK may finalise trade agreements in areas like pharmaceuticals, fintech, chemicals, defence manufacturing, petroleum and food products by 2021, as the two countries are keen on early harvest deals while continuing negotiations for a comprehensive free trade agreement (FTA), two officials said.

“The two sides are working on the finer details pertaining to about five-six sectors as some announcements are expected during UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s India visit in January 2021,” one of the officials said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/india-and-uk-to-finalise-early-harvest-trade-deals-by-2021-ahead-of-comprehensive-fta/story-5uJXlXlae71Xqdg9Zcei6J.html
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

I haven't been able to find out how much it cost us to participate in Erasmus+, but our £100m for Turing doesn't seem too far out of line with the €118m funding that we got from Erasmus in 2015. I'd imagine it cost us somewhat more as we did tend to be a net contributor in EU schemes.

The latest Erasmus stats I saw showed about 16,000 UK students going to the EU and 35,000 EU students coming to the UK. Erasmus accounted for about half of UK overseas student placements.

I thought we had a load of whingers complaining earlier that Turing couldn't work because Erasmus numbers are reciprocal?
    It was curious to see the explosion of outrage over the UK no longer participating in the Erasmus scheme. We were told it broadened young people’s horizons by sending British undergraduates to study at a European university. We were told our young people are being deprived of this opportunity. But having spent my pre-politics career working with young people, Erasmus and deprivation are not things I’ve ever associated with one another.

The outrage is largely coming from a collection of the firmly middle class and affluent anti-Brexit folk – TV broadcasters and QCs among them. They had been on Erasmus themselves and expected it to be a rite of passage for their children and their children’s children, not least for the advantage it will likely give them in the labour market. But I worked with thousands of young people for nearly two decades before I became an MP and almost none of them had taken part in Erasmus. It wasn’t that they did not study languages or go to good universities – many did. Rather, it was that the young people we worked with were from low-income families.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-trouble-with-erasmus-is-not-just-the-cost
    So this particular reduction of elitism in the education system is not the Politics of Envy, then, and is to be welcomed.

Unlike other (and rather more significant) reductions of elitism in the education system such as - plucking one from a hat - reducing the ability of the affluent to purchase educational privilege for their offspring via private schools.

You live and learn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

He was the Emperor. But he was only there for 16 days and took part in no fighting, although mysteriously he took the title ‘Britannicus’ to note he was the conqueror of Britannia.
    Well, there you are - he's the one who gets the credit. Bloody senior managers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

The best conquerors are those who get others to do the conquering for them.
  • Options
    Rats! We've been rumbled!

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1343606890060599296?s=20

Lets hope they don't work out that to save the 2% of their seed potatoes that go to the EU by rejoining they'll sacrifice the 48% that goes to England & Wales....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Sandpit said:

Will that be a forfeited match? A few of those might convince the players to behave themselves.
    Prostitutes have to make a living too. Have a heart....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

deleted posted already

Was it about skiing? :smile:
    :) No. It was in answer to TSE's question "Did I imagine it or did a Trump supporter advocate boycotting the Georgia runoffs because the Dominion machines would then give the GOP candidates a negative total which would allow SCOTUS to award the 2020 election to Trump?"
    Someone answered before me. The answer was - No you didn't imagine it.

I'm skiied out for now. I've enjoyed today.
    I can give it. And I can take it. I'm never ever been personally rude to anyone on here. And generally people aren't rude back - which is great. A bit of rough and tumble. And you learn things too.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359

Hmmmmm.. and you think Labour would do any better? They are all as bad as each other. In fact the criticism is probably more incompetent that the actualite!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    This is an excellent thread.

TLDR: It’s a major achievement to agree a deal, but it is very thin for services and indeed less accommodating than recent EU deals with Japan, Aus/NZ, and others.

https://twitter.com/antonspisak/status/1343519072416362498?s=21
  • Options
    DUP walking through the lobbies with SNP, strangely fitting
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In fairness Horse, it’s not the government only, it is the civil servants at the DfE, who have been demonstrating dangerous incompetence with unbearable smugness since 1944.
    Adherence to tradition is very important.
  • Options
    Evening @kle4 how are you Sir
  • Options
    edited December 2020

The DUP, the SNP and the LDs all forming an anti Deal trio while the Tories and Labour go arm in arm through the lobbies to pass the Deal.

What a combination
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    edited December 2020

I haven't been able to find out how much it cost us to participate in Erasmus+, but our £100m for Turing doesn't seem too far out of line with the €118m funding that we got from Erasmus in 2015. I'd imagine it cost us somewhat more as we did tend to be a net contributor in EU schemes.

The latest Erasmus stats I saw showed about 16,000 UK students going to the EU and 35,000 EU students coming to the UK. Erasmus accounted for about half of UK overseas student placements.

I thought we had a load of whingers complaining earlier that Turing couldn't work because Erasmus numbers are reciprocal?
    It was curious to see the explosion of outrage over the UK no longer participating in the Erasmus scheme. We were told it broadened young people’s horizons by sending British undergraduates to study at a European university. We were told our young people are being deprived of this opportunity. But having spent my pre-politics career working with young people, Erasmus and deprivation are not things I’ve ever associated with one another.

The outrage is largely coming from a collection of the firmly middle class and affluent anti-Brexit folk – TV broadcasters and QCs among them. They had been on Erasmus themselves and expected it to be a rite of passage for their children and their children’s children, not least for the advantage it will likely give them in the labour market. But I worked with thousands of young people for nearly two decades before I became an MP and almost none of them had taken part in Erasmus. It wasn’t that they did not study languages or go to good universities – many did. Rather, it was that the young people we worked with were from low-income families.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-trouble-with-erasmus-is-not-just-the-cost
    The Spectator is wrong. The Erasmus kerfuffle is not about rich Remainers getting shot of the kids for an extended gap year, it is more mundane. It is because someone found and tweeted a clip of Boris saying he'd protect and preserve it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The latest polling has Warnock winning but Perdue holding on which would mean the Democrats pick up one of the Georgia Senate seats but the GOP hold the other.

That would make Biden the first incoming President not to see his party have control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989.

The GOP would have a 1 seat Senate majority with Mitt Romney having the casting vote (Romney being the only GOP Senator who voted to impeach Trump), effectively making Romney the most powerful figure in US politics from January after Biden himself

What do they do if one of the senators dies? Just hold a byelection or something more sinister?
  • Options

Evening @kle4 how are you Sir

I cannot complain, good evening,
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus was Claudius, not Tiberius.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    HYUFD said:

The DUP, the SNP and the LDs all forming an anti Deal trio while the Tories and Labour go arm in arm through the lobbies to pass the Deal.

What a combination
    Brexit revealed as a face-saving exercise for the British establishment parties.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What a combination
    Presume PC and Green will also vote against.
    Presume Alliance also. And Jeremy Corbyn.
    SDLP?

Apparently there are also 5 independents, I have no idea who they are.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

deleted posted already

:) No. It was in answer to TSE's question "Did I imagine it or did a Trump supporter advocate boycotting the Georgia runoffs because the Dominion machines would then give the GOP candidates a negative total which would allow SCOTUS to award the 2020 election to Trump?"

I can give it. And I can take it. I'm never ever been personally rude to anyone on here. And generally people aren't rude back - which is great. A bit of rough and tumble. And you learn things too.
    No, can't be too thin skinned on here. Or you can, rather, but if so you'll probably suffer a loss of equilibrium and be constantly snorting and reaching for the toffees.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Absolute bargain.

Hard to tell if that is irony from an Apple fan.
    It is irony, I'm not paying £500 for the Airpods Max, I certainly won't be paying $108,00 for some amped up version.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What a combination
    'Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    SDLP?

The Greens and the SDLP will likely vote against based on their leaders statements.

https://twitter.com/CarolineLucas/status/1342132391163408384?s=20

https://twitter.com/derryjournal/status/1342850411586269185?s=20.

PC probably too

https://twitter.com/Adamprice/status/1342126822381727752?s=20

The 1 Alliance MP might abstain but will likely also vote against

https://twitter.com/StephenFarryMP/status/1342136870940123136?s=20.

• Options
    I don't know any of the details of this EU China deal. Is it something we'd want to replicate?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

What do they do if one of the senators dies? Just hold a byelection or something more sinister?
    The Governor appoints, ratified by the state legislatures, then a Special election.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

Indeed.

I made a similar point at the end of that thread - you see that difference not just in the UK but across Europe. The same was true about Switzerland too, along with the UK one of the only nations not to have been occupied by a foreign power since the start of the 20th century.

Yet you have Sweden which is part of the EU but not the Eurozone and Ireland which is both part of the EU and part of the EuroZone.

Ireland is why I chose a starting date of the start of the twentieth century and not since WWII. Being occupied is most certainly a part of Irish folk history.

Sweden is a more Eurosceptic semi divorced outside like the UK was pre Brexit, as you said outside of the Eurozone.
    Didn't Sweden rule Norway in the early years of the 20th C?
    Norway was also occupied by the Nazis. It is one of the exceptions - history of occupation but not integrating.
    And a right mess we made of trying to help them fight the Nazis off.
    The Norwegian campaign was certainly a right mess, but actually we had planned to occupy Norway, just that Germany got there first. We were expecting to be welcomed, though I am not sure that was realistic.
    Ironically the same problem as at Yorktown
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What a combination
    Not sure all of Labour will
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

This is the best sort of Conqueror...

https://www.englishelectric.org.uk/p949461847/h2DB60B58

• Options

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    SDLP?

So the Independents are (along with presumed inclination):
    Jeremy Corbyn - Against
    Jonathan Edwards - Against
    Margaret Ferrier - Against
    Claudia Webbe - Against
    Julian Lewis - ?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    Brexit revealed as a face-saving exercise for the British establishment parties.
    Snappy point by OJ about Labour voting Yes to the Deal to avoid pissing off their Leave voters -
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1343299555102777346
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    SDLP?

Jeremy Corbyn, Jonathan Edwards , Margaret Ferrier, Julian Lewis, Claudia Webbe
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    And maybe not all the Tories.
  • Options

Foxy said:

FPT - a grim record:

As you can see from my summaries, there are very big gaps in the data.

Tomorrow will be Murder Tuesday with a vengeance.
    Wednesdays figures will be the bad ones, I think.
    Waverley (ex-Tier 2, changing to 4 on Boxing Day) has cases up 135% (274->471) on last week. People from the surrounding Tier 4 areas flooded in for Christmas shopping and eating out. It's a good example of why Tier designation should not be in small geographical areas but at the least by region.
    Sadly the Tier 4 folk were too stupid/selfish/ignorant to follow the rules.

Same thing happening up here with people heading from West Yorkshire to North Yorkshire to go on the lash.
    And here, with people from Southampton and Portsmouth coming to Cowes and Ryde for nights out. Now the island is in tier three and Cowes and Ryde are the hotspots.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    Snappy point by OJ about Labour voting Yes to the Deal to avoid pissing off their Leave voters -
    I might be changing my mind on Labour strategy here. It would perhaps be better to vote Against on the grounds that the deal is too thin.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    Possibly but the indications are the ERG will vote for
  • Options

The only good thing about the DUP is that they make the LibDems’ dealings with the Tories actually look astute in comparison.
  • Options
    Well, #NoDealNicola has got the Owen Jones seal of disapproval:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1343611759152812036?s=20

Entirely unrelated to how The Blessed Jeremy (PBUH) is voting, I'm sure....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I might be changing my mind on Labour strategy here. It would perhaps be better to vote Against on the grounds that the deal is too thin.
    Labour voting against could sink it, they don't have the option of luxuriating in their own self indulgence that the other opposition parties do.
    Abstention, or a free vote would be acceptable.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    And "No Deal" is thinner.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

The Euro Parliament committee responsible for Erasmus and all things education in the EU is called the CULT Committee. I think we might be better off out!

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/committees/en/cult/home/highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopWqv-eQFM&ab_channel=cdngrl99
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

What a combination
    A little bird* told the DUP that No Deal would be wonderful for Britain and allow them to do anything they want. How could they resist?

*Actually a fat, plucked turkey
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    i think you're right though the point Owen Jones is making is comparing apples and pears. They should vote against for the simple reason that no sensible party should be seen voting for something that puts us in a worse position than the one we're in at the moment.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    The problem is that the options are deal or no-deal, and if Labour vote against it could see a a Tory rebellion led by the no-deal fans in the ERG. The only sensible choice they have, is to embrace the deal and move on from here.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

deleted posted already

Ummmm what was posted was a Biden supporter mocking Trump supporters suggesting they boycott.

Yet to see an actual Trump supporter suggest it.

So far any boycott suggestions seem to be elaborate banter not serious.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    It's Full House then because Abstain worked best for me.

But I'll go with Starmer's decision. He clearly judges this best for GE24 prospects.
  • Options
    Labour must not vote against.

They must vote for the deal on the grounds it is much, much better than No Deal, to put Brexit to bed and to win back the Red Wall which is giving Labour a fair hearing (and on current polling is swinging back).

A vote for will kill the Tory electoral strategy stone-dead, as long as Labour does not walk into any more culture wars.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    i think you're right though the point Owen Jones is making is comparing apples and pears. They should vote against for the simple reason that no sensible party should be seen voting for something that puts us in a worse position than the one we're in at the moment.
    The position we're in at the moment in absence of a deal is a catastrophic crash out to having no deal whatsoever with the EU. Voting against the deal is to vote for vote for no deal. It might make John Redwood happy, but it's not any good for those of us who work in the real world.

Edit: Just asked my solidly remain/labour supporting other half, she'd vote for along the same lines as @CorrectHorseBattery is putting forward.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I agree with Owen Jones, this line of argument is very weak.

Nobody seriously believes the SNP - or the Lib Dems for that matter - want a No Deal.
  • Options

TBF, Owen is quite pro Sindy and the SNP.

And he gave Jez a bit of a thrashing in his book. Not a leader, was the verdict.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

Nobody seriously believes the SNP - or the Lib Dems for that matter - want a No Deal.
    No, but that doesn't mean the rhetoric some of them have been using, as if the alternative between the deal is the EU, is less thin.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    Labour voting against could sink it, they don't have the option of luxuriating in their own self indulgence that the other opposition parties do.
    They can’t sink it. There is no sign of an ERG rebellion, for example.

So, I believe they do have the option and I wouldn’t really call taking any vote in Parliament on something of this gravity “self-indulgence”.
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    no sensible party should be seen voting for something that puts us in a worse position than the one we're in at the moment.
    Indeed. Voting against would result in "No Deal' - which most commentators think would be worse than the deal on offer.

SKS should say "we'll support this deal and as Labour governments have done in the past negotiate a better, closer deal with the EU when returned to power"

Leave the amateur dramatics to the separatists/drama queens.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    The problem is that the options are deal or no-deal, and if Labour vote against it could see a a Tory rebellion led by the no-deal fans in the ERG. The only sensible choice they have, is to embrace the deal and move on from here.
    Not necessarily so. In a vote that a government is bound to win, what matters is not so much what you are strictly voting for or against, but rather how the position you take might earn or lose you support in the future. For sure, a weakness of not voting for the government deal now is that you could be portrayed as technically having voted for no deal.

But stopping the analysis there is short sighted, since there may be considerable upside in not being tied to having supported a government deal that likely will become seen as deficient in coming months.
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    The position we're in at the moment is we're about to leave the EU without a deal unless parliament passes this deal.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I think the original plan of abstention is still politically safest, personally.
  • Options
    For the nationalist parties...

The SNP's goals here aren't the same as Labour, what do they care if England and Wales don't have a deal. The endgame for the SNP is dissolution of the union, followed by Scotland joining the EU. They have the least incentive of all to vote for the deal, along with Plaid.
    The deal does create divisions betwixt NI and rUK that would theoretically not be there if there was 'No deal'. So I'd fully expect DUP to vote against.
    There are good arguments for the SDLP to vote both for and against the deal, of course Sinn Fein will be abstaining !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Did I imagine it or did a Trump supporter advocate boycotting the Georgia runoffs because the Dominion machines would then give the GOP candidates a negative total which would allow SCOTUS to award the 2020 election to Trump?

You did not imagine it

https://twitter.com/JoeySaladsReaI/status/1343485480147574784
    Thank goodness the conspirators cannot read Twitter and tweak their algorithm to cheat without giving the game away.
    OK. So. The algorithm results in more votes being counted past adjustment, than were actually cast?

Given that lists of who voted are completely public, how do you make sure the numbers match? You would have to claim people voted, who actually didn't. Which would be incredibly easy to discover: like two people, 15 minutes easy to discover.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

Then why are they voting that way?

It will get flung back at them from here to eternity - just like the SNP giving us Mrs Thatcher in 1979
  • Options
    edited December 2020

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

@TSE

This is the best sort of Conqueror...

https://www.englishelectric.org.uk/p949461847/h2DB60B58

I thought you meant the tank! But I'd forgotten another sort ...

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/conquerors-end/query/Kent
    https://www.britishpathe.com/video/armys-new-65-ton-tank/query/CONQUERORS

• Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

It will get flung back at them from here to eternity - just like the SNP giving us Mrs Thatcher in 1979
    It is only a Tory talking point that those voting against are voting “No Deal”, in any case Boris told us only a week ago we would “prosper mightily” in that scenario.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

So, I believe they do have the option and I wouldn’t really call taking any vote in Parliament on something of this gravity “self-indulgence”.
    I'd say any vote where you know the outcome for the country would be worse if the result went your way is the definition of self indulgence.
    That's very clearly the case with this deal, unless you're pursuing another agenda (independence for example)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And he gave Jez a bit of a thrashing in his book. Not a leader, was the verdict.
    One can't say that Owen (unlike the Yoons) can't pick out a dud bullet when he sees one.
    He used to be fairly anti SNP (mainly for them naughtily obstructing the big, gold Corbyn dream), has he changed?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2020

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I think the original plan of abstention is still politically safest, personally.
    I rarely disagree with you Sir but I do here.

Labour needs to show it's got over Brexit and is listening to the voters it lost.

Labour's strategy should be:

To return to a 2017 result as the baseline, that is primarily through the Red Wall. Those voters went because of Brexit and Corbyn.

To build on 2017 towards 280+ seats, they need to make gains in London and the South East. Those voters were previously scared by Corbyn, will they be scared of Starmer?

Hope for a Lib Dem revival, unlikely at the moment.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I think a reasonable "cover all the bases" position for the LotO would be "free vote" with personal recommendation in favour - whipped abstention is almost as bad as #NoDealNicola
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I'll be interested to see the size of the Con vote against. I've heard 10 but I'll be surprised if it's that many. Even Farage is on board and that says a lot even if it turns out it's for a peerage or something. Johnson has pulled this off, I think, as regards the politics of it. He's da man right now. Best enjoy it because I sense the pandemic is about to get very nasty indeed.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

You'd complain if they voted for - or not at all. SLAB certainly would.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

I'd say any vote where you know the outcome for the country would be worse if the result went your way is the definition of self indulgence.
    That's very clearly the case with this deal, unless you're pursuing another agenda (independence for example)
    Let’s play the “What If”.

The government is defeated by a coalition of Opposition and ERG votes. Does a “No Deal” then become likely?

Not really.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Did I imagine it or did a Trump supporter advocate boycotting the Georgia runoffs because the Dominion machines would then give the GOP candidates a negative total which would allow SCOTUS to award the 2020 election to Trump?

You did not imagine it

https://twitter.com/JoeySaladsReaI/status/1343485480147574784
    Thank goodness the conspirators cannot read Twitter and tweak their algorithm to cheat without giving the game away.
    OK. So. The algorithm results in more votes being counted past adjustment, than were actually cast?

Given that lists of who voted are completely public, how do you make sure the numbers match? You would have to claim people voted, who actually didn't. Which would be incredibly easy to discover: like two people, 15 minutes easy to discover.
    Nonsense, that's just how sneaky Dominion and their paymasters are. Why, their very name is a giveaway.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

The government is defeated by a coalition of Opposition and ERG votes. Does a “No Deal” then become likely?

Not really.
    It won't be, even if the ERG all vote against and the mood music suggests that is unlikely, most Tory and Labour MPs will vote for the Deal and it will pass with about 2/3 of MPs in favour.

Both Boris and Starmer are whipping Tory and Labour MPs to vote for the Deal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

For the nationalist parties...

The SNP's goals here aren't the same as Labour, what do they care if England and Wales don't have a deal. The endgame for the SNP is dissolution of the union, followed by Scotland joining the EU. They have the least incentive of all to vote for the deal, along with Plaid.
    The deal does create divisions betwixt NI and rUK that would theoretically not be there if there was 'No deal'. So I'd fully expect DUP to vote against.
    There are good arguments for the SDLP to vote both for and against the deal, of course Sinn Fein will be abstaining !

Wales voted Leave though unlike Scotland so Plaid cannot ignore that
  • Options

kinabalu said:

One can't say that Owen (unlike the Yoons) can't pick out a dud bullet when he sees one.
    He used to be fairly anti SNP (mainly for them naughtily obstructing the big, gold Corbyn dream), has he changed?
    I'd say he has then, yes. Although if Sindy were standing in the way of Jerusalem in England's green & pleasant - which it isn't - I imagine he would be dead against.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

So from Pfizer the EU will have been able to vaccinate 100 million by end September:

There's a good tracker here of confirmed orders by company - https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/#dvz-section-purchasing

Worth remember that the GSK-Sanofi vaccine is unlikely to be approved until 3Q 2021 at the earliest.

The EU has reasonable sized orders for J&J (200m doses, single shot) and for Moderna (80m, two shots). If those all come through in the first half of 2021, they'll do OK.

But if J&J doesn't work, then the EU will be incredibly dependent on CureVac, which is another mRNA vaccine, and which only started Phase 3 at the beginning of this month. Realistically, CureVac is unlikely to be approved until early Q2 at the soonest.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination

Not really.
    It won't be, even if the ERG all vote against and the mood music suggests that is unlikely, most Tory and Labour MPs will vote for the Deal and it will pass without about 2/3 of MPs in favour
    I know that.

I am rebutting the talking point out about by the Tories that voting Against is to vote No Deal.

Labour should vote on the Deal’s merits, I think. How does it measure up to Brexiter promise?

Of course there is zero time to actually come to a considered opinion on this, given government timetabling - but perhaps that’s another argument to vote Against.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What a combination
    I'll be interested to see the size of the Con vote against. I've heard 10 but I'll be surprised if it's that many. Even Farage is on board and that says a lot even if it turns out it's for a peerage or something. Johnson has pulled this off, I think, as regards the politics of it. He's da man right now. Best enjoy it because I sense the pandemic is about to get very nasty indeed.
    To be honest I am not enjoying any of this either Brexit or covid

I am content that a deal has been agreed and seemingly our relationship with the EU has not been fractured as would have been the case in a no deal

The country needs to move on and improve the deal and of course the spotlight must now move to vaccinating the country as soon as possible
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There's a good tracker here of confirmed orders by company - https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/#dvz-section-purchasing

Worth remember that the GSK-Sanofi vaccine is unlikely to be approved until 3Q 2021 at the earliest. CureVac is also

The EU has reasonable sized orders for J&J (200m doses, single shot) and for Moderna (80m, two shots). If those all come through in the first half of 2021, they'll do OK.

But if J&J doesn't work, then the EU will be incredibly dependent on CureVac, which is another mRNA vaccine, and which only started Phase 3 at the beginning of this month. Realistically, CureVac is unlikely to be approved until early Q2 at the soonest.
    CureVac expects first results at the beginning of April 2021, so approval is more likely (if it happens) no sooner than June 2021.
This discussion has been closed.