Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s PMQ response here on the ending ERASMUS looks set to be an initial challenge for the PM –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited December 2020 in General
Johnson’s PMQ response here on the ending ERASMUS looks set to be an initial challenge for the PM – politicalbetting.com

Boris Johnson has stripped our youth of the enrichment of Erasmus Here is the truth twisting charlatan promising Parliament that we would stay part of Erasmus.Please do your job @BBCNews & put this on the ten o’clock news #Erasmus #BorisJohnsonLiesAgain pic.twitter.com/ksfCKv9cmo

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    First.

A Labour frontbench rebellion is building - as mentioned earier, I think this will be Starnmer's second qualifying mistake of an overall excellent year. He's lost a couple of points to the Greens and others from the Corbyn issue, and I think if the rebellion is reasonably visible, he'll lose a couple of points to the LD's here.
  • Options
    First to post with a hangover.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    Boris is unfathomable to the antis.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Re; the point below, I also think Starmer will lose a few votes to both the SNP and LD's, by appearing to take something closer to an actively encouraging stance to Brexit rather than a hands-off, noncommittal stance.

I think, too, that having started well and briefly enjoying the privileges of appearing able to sweep all before him, like Macron, he'll gradually learn the benefits of tempering a more autocratic leadership style.
  • Options
    Is anyone really that bothered about ERASMUS? Yes he lied about it - there will be other more relevant lies he can be attacked on than this one.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Breaking: Boris doesn't tell the truth.

Shock news
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536
    edited December 2020
    8th :smile:

They do seem to be a little light on brickbats to throw, in the last day or two.
  • Options
    We live in a post-truth world and Johnson is the leader we deserve.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    How did blatantly reneging on a commitment to students work out for the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited December 2020

I need to read all the detail today (or tonight) but I suspect Erasmus is a dead cat designed to distract the ultras away from other more significant content in the TCA.

It will work, because values.

Most people don't care about it, and never would have used it anyway, and those who do hyperventilate about it will be met by shrugs and pointing to Turing instead.

Exactly. If the main criticism saturating the media is the loss of a programme that very few take advantage of, and one that is being replaced by a British version anyway, then most people will think the Deal can't be all bad.

'But what about Erasmus?' is a killer argument only if you're already a fully paid-up FBPE-er.
  • Options

I need to read all the detail today (or tonight) but I suspect Erasmus is a dead cat designed to distract the ultras away from other more significant content in the TCA.

Most people don't care about it, and never would have used it anyway, and those who do hyperventilate about it will be met by shrugs and pointing to Turing instead.

Exactly. If the main criticism saturating the media is the loss of a programme that very few take advantage of, and one that is being replaced by a British version, then most people will think the Deal can't be all bad.

'But what about Erasmus?' is a killer argument only if you're already a fully paid-up FBPE-er.
    It’s the lie that’s the problem.
  • Options
    The EU decided to charge us three times as much for it. It would be better to ask why they don't want to cooperate with a near-neighbour, or at least only on onerous terms. And it seems that Boris failed to predict the future. "I don't know, it depends on what we can negotiate" should always have been the answer to questions on deals and things
  • Options

Is anyone really that bothered about ERASMUS? Yes he lied about it - there will be other more relevant lies he can be attacked on than this one.

Few that are quite as clear-cut as this one though.
  • Options

Exactly. If the main criticism saturating the media is the loss of a programme that very few take advantage of, and one that is being replaced by a British version, then most people will think the Deal can't be all bad.

In politics? For Boris? Doesn't seem to have mattered yet.
  • Options

Few that are quite as clear-cut as this one though.
    From that clip it sounds as if he has every intention of staying in. However at what point do you decide the price is too high?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

What I don't understand is that it was sensible to stay in at any price. If reportedly we were being asked to pay 3x as much for the same thing most sensible people would reconsider. Because it's Boris people lose the plot. My rule of thumb is that if Starmer (or Corbyn) came out and said we had to withdraw as the coat had vastly increased would it be an issue if they were replacing with a similar scheme. I don't think so.

I fully expect there to be other bigger issues but the numpties who cried wolf on this will be ignored
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204
    Johnson will not get into trouble for lying about this. Which is probably just as well since it serves a similar function for him as breathing.

As for Erasmus itself, no doubt its practical importance is marginal, certainly compared to many other Brexit changes, but it has symbolic power as a firm statement of intent that this Brit Nat manifestation of the Tory party holds little truck with something it used to preach as a core value - personal aspiration to challenge and better oneself.
  • Options

The EU decided to charge us three times as much for it. It would be better to ask why they don't want to cooperate with a near-neighbour, or at least only on onerous terms. And it seems that Boris failed to predict the future. "I don't know, it depends on what we can negotiate" should always have been the answer to questions on deals and things

Exactly, that is Johnson’s problem. Other politicians spend years practising the arts of evasion and circumlocution, so that they don’t leave hostages to fortune in the way that he has done.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

Johnson will not get into trouble for lying about this. Which is probably just as well since it serves a similar function for him as breathing.

As for Erasmus itself, no doubt its practical importance is marginal, certainly compared to many other Brexit changes, but it has symbolic power as a firm statement of intent that this Brit Nat manifestation of the Tory party holds little truck with something it used to preach as a core value - personal aspiration to challenge and better oneself.

So it is better for students to travel to Europe than to the whole world in order to broaden their horizons. Not clear either why the EU wished to triple the charge for access. It seems excessive on almost any reading.
  • Options

Exactly, that is Johnson’s problem. Other politicians spend years practising the arts of evasion and circumlocution, so that they don’t leave hostages to fortune in the way that he has done.
    Just as well Starmer has dodged that bullet - with a 3 line whip in favour of a deal he claims is very poor. :smiley:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Outside of the queues to get into Waitrose, I don't see Erasmus as being an issue that sends people rushing to the barricades.

However, I agree that Bozo's cack-handed effort in the Commons is typically buffoonery from our embarrassment of a PM.
  • Options

The constant lying
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I logged on this morning and to be honest it was like a remainer's wake but I do accept that this Christmas has seen an end to their dreams.

To be honest we just need to move on, some will never do so, but I suspect the vast majority will be pleased it has been brought to a deal conclusion

Of course in all deals there are wins and losses but I fully expect Boris to embrace a very pro climate change pro sustainable farming policy and through climate change strike up a relationship with Joe Biden impossible with Trump

As far as Eramus is concerned my granddaughter was due to study in Italy in 2023 but I have little doubt the Turing replacement will provide opportunities not only within Europe but world wide

And as far as Boris is concerned his detractors and enemies may have to get used to him being PM for quite a long time

Actually not so sure. It would not surprise me if he stood down during the course of this year - nor would it make me unhappy to see the first Tory Asian PM.
  • Options

I logged on this morning and to be honest it was like a remainer's wake but I do accept that this Christmas has seen an end to their dreams.

To be honest we just need to move on, some will never do so, but I suspect the vast majority will be pleased it has been brought to a deal conclusion

Of course in all deals there are wins and losses but I fully expect Boris to embrace a very pro climate change pro sustainable farming policy and through climate change strike up a relationship with Joe Biden impossible with Trump

As far as Eramus is concerned my granddaughter was due to study in Italy in 2023 but I have little doubt the Turing replacement will provide opportunities not only within Europe but world wide

And as far as Boris is concerned his detractors and enemies may have to get used to him being PM for quite a long time

Your hopes are likely to be dashed given the lying toerag making the promises.
  • Options
    felix said:

Actually not so sure. It would not surprise me if he stood down during the course of this year - nor would it make me unhappy to see the first Tory Asian PM.
    I cannot see Boris giving up the chance to host the climate change conference in Glasgow this Autumn
  • Options
    felix said:

Just as well Starmer has dodged that bullet - with a 3 line whip in favour of a deal he claims is very poor. :smiley:
    He showed great foresight with that one, as always :lol:
  • Options

You'll probably get your "moving on" wish fulfilled in most sections of the Clapham Omnibus but far less so in committed, high octane places such as here.

Re your last sentence, 100% agree. Boris "80 seat" Johnson is going precisely nowhere. My biggest current political bet is on him still being PM on 1st July 2022. I'm on at an average 1.85 and I'm treating it mentally like money in the bank. You can get 1.72 or something now and I simply cannot recommend that bet enough. It's outstanding value. If you don't want to wait 18 months for the full return it will be layable back at 1.4 or less by Easter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited December 2020
    I think Erasmus is itself fairly marginal, but what it does show how much lying was necessary for Brexit to get through, and how many contradictory statements were made.

The big one though is the general direction of travel. Accepting the LPF with all its European standards etc closes down the Libertarian trashing of regulation, in favour of one of two options: Standstill in alignment (in which case why did we bother?) or a shift in the direction of protectionism and autarky, though even that is constrained too.

I have always expected for Brexit to end with a whimper rather than a bang, and rusting out rather than busting out.
  • Options

Given that the two facts most of us know are:

1 The name of the new scheme and
    2 The cost of the old scheme has gone up threefold (meaningless without context; 3x a bargain might still be a bargain, and a la carte is always more expensive than menu del dia)

It's clearly a dead cat. Clearly released so that those who question it look like out-of-touch cosmopolitans. Clever, if nasty, short-term politics.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    And if you are going to study abroad, isn't it easier to go to a country where the lectures are delivered in English, rather than German or French?

Unless you are studying one of those languages, natch!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2020

This is true, OTOH there's a benefit to it that Trump also had which is that if you just shamelessly lie rather than saying something true that sounds and trying to make it sound like something else, it's much easier to *sound* authentic. Trump got a lot of mileage out of this - even if the voters sometimes notice you lying, it mostly seems like they'll forgive you if they think you're lying on their behalf.
  • Options

Good morning Malc.

I hope you and your good lady enjoyed your Christmas Day and trust the new year will be good for you both, especially health wise
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    My daughter did a year with Erasmus in Holland two years ago now and it was a great experience for her. I am sad that the next generation of students will not participate but it does appear that it is an example of the EU once again overplaying their hand. In seeking to increase the cost of participation in this way they have lost UK participation altogether which will be a considerable loss to EU students wanting to come here.

It will be interesting to see if the UK replacement will fund students both ways, that is funding for our students to enjoy a year abroad and for EU students to come here. I hope so and it would not be the worst thing if the EU realises that overpricing Erasmus is a mistake that should be reversed.
  • Options

The constant lying
    Yes, BoZo and Trump have long since degraded politics. Politics has always had liars, but the shamelessness and brazeness has reached a new level.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Yes politicians unfathomably less popular than Boris: seemingly for a large part of the population forthright answers are preferred.

Politicians can't win. If the evade questions they are slippery but if they answer them they are inept.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

kinabalu said:

Hmm, so little truck that we'll be creating a replacement for it so that all that self-betterment in the wider world can still continue.

But I suppose the Labour's not for Turing?
    Happy to take a look at that. I do hope it's not a thin 'less than meets the eye' affair with a 'push the buttons' name that delivers much PR and little utility. You know, like the Nightingales.
  • Options

And if you are going to study abroad, isn't it easier to go to a country where the lectures are delivered in English, rather than German or French?

My daughter's classes at Groningen were all in English. That University will be one to suffer considerably if we do not replace Erasmus quickly. There were quite a number of Brits there and they had accommodation dedicated to Erasmus students. English was used because all of the other students (many from Iberia in particular) spoke it well.
  • Options
    felix said:

The Saj will be happy to see your predication of a comeback.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, perhaps.

But let's not imagine political deceit is a new thing. Labour increased income taxes contrary to a manifesto promise. And all three parties had a promise to hold a referendum on Lisbon, and reneged.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Has to be some weird political motivation to withdraw from Erasmus.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

First.

A Labour frontbench rebellion is building - as mentioned earier, I think this will be Starnmer's second qualifying mistake of an overall excellent year. He's lost a couple of points to the Greens and others from the Corbyn issue, and I think if the rebellion is reasonably visible, he'll lose a couple of points to the LD's here.

I agree and he probably deserves to. As absence makes the heart grow fonder and we become increasingly marginalised (Obama for instance considered the EU his go-to ally in the world) it would be good to have someone to turn to who could stand up and say this was predictable which is difficult when you've voted for it. He won't get the blame but could have benefited more than he'll now be able to. To vote with the Johnson/Faragists is not a good look.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I don't think.this is a challenge at all.
  • Options
    Notwithstanding the fact that Johnson is a c@#7, no one I know has ever uttered the word Erasmus. I do know of a Finnish rock band with a similar sounding name, if that counts? There'll be plenty more issues to get Johnson with. This isn't one of them.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    Johnson prioritises buying dud satellite companies and bungs to his cronies over an international exchange programme with Europe. That's all you need to know about his decision to cancel UK participation in Erasmus.

The so-called "Turing Programme" is Johnson's usual humbug and the great man, if he were still alive, should be outraged by being coopted into it. National programmes have always existed, eg through the British Council, Goethe Institut etc. The point about Erasmus is that it is an international exchange. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Turing Programme" is allowed to die a neglected death, once its propaganda usefulness is expended.

FPT. My company no longer allows work assignments out of the UK into Europe unless you are an Irish citizen. New policy this month. It is not going down the visa route. We can say there is a pecking order of passport desirability:
    1. Best is Irish: you can do the whole of Europe
    2. Second best is EU/EEA except Ireland: all of Europe except UK
    3. Third best is UK: UK only
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

You'll probably get your "moving on" wish fulfilled in most sections of the Clapham Omnibus but far less so in committed, high octane places such as here.

Re your last sentence, 100% agree. Boris "80 seat" Johnson is going precisely nowhere. My biggest current political bet is on him still being PM on 1st July 2022. I'm on at an average 1.85 and I'm treating it mentally like money in the bank. You can get 1.72 or something now and I simply cannot recommend that bet enough. It's outstanding value. If you don't want to wait 18 months for the full return it will be layable back at 1.4 or less by Easter.
    I agree and of course there will always be an element of those who cannot comprehend us being outside the EU but the vast majority will move on and some like myself breath a sigh of relief we have turned the page

As for Boris he has never been stronger in his party and he does seem to be rediscovering his mojo.

The climate conference is a huge world event here in Glasgow and he is the host, so I cannot imagine he will move on before that and indeed it is even possible he may contest the 2024 election

If he had been responsible for a no deal I believe he would not have lasted long into 2021
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Hmm, so little truck that we'll be creating a replacement for it so that all that self-betterment in the wider world can still continue.

But I suppose the Labour's not for Turing?
    It's Boris bullshit like everything else.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Quite common in Germany and the Netherlands - to name but two - for much of the teaching to be done in English. Helps them attract international students, as well as enhancing the job prospects of their home students.
  • Options

There are a number of Universities in Continental Europe that teach in English, so it isn't much of a bar. There are medical schools in Italy, Hungary and Romania with the entire course in English. Fees are cheaper than the UK too, and quite a few Brits on these courses, though now their qualifications will no longer automatically be registrable here.
  • Options

felix said:

Not sure he'd be up to it but Rishi is another matter.
  • Options
    You could not make it up

so having left Council and the Commission - this trade and cooperation agreement has something called a “Partnership Council” with 19 sub committees eg on Trade, energy, and four working groups on organic, cars etc, a Parliamentary Partnership assembly, Civil Society Forum etc

example of why its not Canada

There is something called an “arbitration tribunal” with wide ranging powers to allow say retaliatory tariffs or more in “rebalancing” of future divergence... also referred to in eg fishing annexe..in fact 324 mentions in agreement text.
    Not in CETA
  • Options
    It is naive to think that the issue of Britain’s relationship with the EU is now settled.
  • Options

As it so happens my granddaughters course at Leeds University starting in September is Italian culture, language and philosophy, so her spending the year in Italy in 2023 was part of her studies
  • Options
    There was a vote in Parliament on 8th January 2020 on a LibDem amendment to the Brexit bill proposed by Layla Moran. It would have required the Government to negotiate continuing full membership of the Erasmus programme. It was defeated by 344 votes to 254.
  • Options

As it so happens my granddaughters course at Leeds University starting in September is Italian culture, language and philosophy, so her spending the year in Italy in 2023 was part of her studies
    Hope you’re preparing to put your hand in your pocket.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Foxy said:

There are a number of Universities in Continental Europe that teach in English, so it isn't much of a bar. There are medical schools in Italy, Hungary and Romania with the entire course in English. Fees are cheaper than the UK too, and quite a few Brits on these courses, though now their qualifications will no longer automatically be registrable here.
    Of course, this is much more common in the sciences, and especially at the postgraduate level.

Also, of course, it is not true for some EU countries, e.g., la belle France.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It is naive to think that the issue of Britain’s relationship with the EU is now settled.

Ce n'est pas une paix, c'est un armistice de vingt ans?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Decision on excessive costs and a better scheme that encompasses the world is not weird
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Not sure he'd be up to it but Rishi is another matter.
    Priti?

• Options
    DavidL said:

My daughter did a year with Erasmus in Holland two years ago now and it was a great experience for her. I am sad that the next generation of students will not participate but it does appear that it is an example of the EU once again overplaying their hand. In seeking to increase the cost of participation in this way they have lost UK participation altogether which will be a considerable loss to EU students wanting to come here.

It will be interesting to see if the UK replacement will fund students both ways, that is funding for our students to enjoy a year abroad and for EU students to come here. I hope so and it would not be the worst thing if the EU realises that overpricing Erasmus is a mistake that should be reversed.

On the other hand, UK universities will be moving new EU students to international fee rates from this autumn.
    It varies by course and institution, but the ballpark increase is about 9k to about 20-30k. More than doubling, close to tripling for practical courses.
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

So it is better for students to travel to Europe than to the whole world in order to broaden their horizons. Not clear either why the EU wished to triple the charge for access. It seems excessive on almost any reading.
    It's not either/or. The more of this type of the thing the better. But Europe, being our continent, will always be of prime importance. Such a diverse continent too, of course. As for the cost, it's like anything, you weigh up whether it's worth it. And this in turn depends on what you get and how you value those things.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited December 2020
    Foxy said:

There was quite a campaign not too long ago by a Dutch University.....Maastricht IIRC.... to attract UK students. Being taught in English was one of the attractions.

Anyway, what is the attraction of the Turing scheme, apart from 'being British'. AFAICS it's a one-way scheme, to somewhere.
  • Options
    So we know that Erasmus is not a part of the deal. I have read on the BBC that the fisheries deal is over 5.5 years but i am not clear what percentage reduction the EU will suffer over that period. I get the impression it varies by species now.

I think we are clear that the LPF provisions will have independent international arbitration with no role for the CJEU.

We have no tariffs and no quotas and neither does the EU so we will presumably continue to run a substantial deficit.

The deal doesn't cover mutual recognition of services, clearly its biggest drawback, but it appears that we are back in the security/Schengen systems that was causing so much angst in the days before.

The sad truth is that at over 1200 pages with 800 pages of annexes I and 99.9% of the population are never going to read it. The reports I have seen so far have been little more than headlines. Has anyone come across a reasonably detailed and neutral evaluation of the deal yet?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

This says it all

The amusing thing about this is that those knobbly and pale knees and burst-open shirt look really quite plausible.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Decision on excessive costs and a better scheme that encompasses the world is not weird
    Your faith in this government to reduce costs is beautifully touching. You should be expecting to pick up the tab.

I read leaving Erasmus as political act to weaken ties with the continent in favour of the Anglo sphere. The sort of crass politics you get from people like Gove.
  • Options

Good morning Malc.

I hope you and your good lady enjoyed your Christmas Day and trust the new year will be good for you both, especially health wise
    Hello G, yes we had a great day , saw our grandsons for first time in a while for an hour. Hope you and yours had a great day and wish you a great 2021.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

I think that's right.

The BBC has a summary of the full deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/26/full-brexit-trade-deal-goes-beyond-canada-style-accord

Still hard to spot the potentail controversial details. This is the bit which will get most scrutiny, probably:

'There is also a commitment not to lower standards on the environment, workers’ rights and climate change, with mechanisms to enforce this.

There is a mutual right to “rebalance” the agreement if there are “significant divergences” in future that are capable of “impacting trade”.'

Agreement not to roll back current standards is uncontroversial and was settled early on. If this merely means that "if one side spurts ahead on standards and the other declines to follow, then neutral arbitration will follow to see if it's impacting trade; if so, the side suffering can revisit tariffs", that's hard to argue with. The only problem for the UK is that it circumscribes what can be conceded in a US deal, which is fine by me but might not be seen as welcome by the more dogged free-traders.

The "no electric cars after 6 years unless mostly EU parts" sounds possibly significant since everyone's gradually going all-electric, but I don't know what the current prtoportion of EU parts is?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

kinabalu said:

I agree and of course there will always be an element of those who cannot comprehend us being outside the EU but the vast majority will move on and some like myself breath a sigh of relief we have turned the page

As for Boris he has never been stronger in his party and he does seem to be rediscovering his mojo.

The climate conference is a huge world event here in Glasgow and he is the host, so I cannot imagine he will move on before that and indeed it is even possible he may contest the 2024 election

If he had been responsible for a no deal I believe he would not have lasted long into 2021
    Indeed. We should embrace the unrelenting crapness of Brexit, sold on a false prospectus by our Boris Johnson so he could get to be prime minister, and move on. There are some things we can change and we should change; others we can't change that we have to endure. Brexit is the second of these.

And on that note, have a happy Boxing Day, all.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Your faith in this government to reduce costs is beautifully touching. You should be expecting to pick up the tab.

I read leaving Erasmus as political act to weaken ties with the continent in favour of the Anglo sphere. The sort of crass politics you get from people like Gove.
    Or maybe just a value for money scheme that applies worldwide, not just to the EU
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Why
    Jonathan as usual seems to have forgotten the perfidious role played by Labour in introducing tuition fees into higher education in the first place.

If only we could return higher education to BB (before Blair).
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Why
    This government is philosophically against what it might call state handouts for education everywhere else. Why should education abroad be an exception? In the age of Corona cuts, this will not be a priority.

You’ll be asked to cough up. You might like to contact an equity release firm.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    DavidL said:

So we know that Erasmus is not a part of the deal. I have read on the BBC that the fisheries deal is over 5.5 years but i am not clear what percentage reduction the EU will suffer over that period. I get the impression it varies by species now.

I think we are clear that the LPF provisions will have independent international arbitration with no role for the CJEU.

We have no tariffs and no quotas and neither does the EU so we will presumably continue to run a substantial deficit.

The deal doesn't cover mutual recognition of services, clearly its biggest drawback, but it appears that we are back in the security/Schengen systems that was causing so much angst in the days before.

The sad truth is that at over 1200 pages with 800 pages of annexes I and 99.9% of the population are never going to read it. The reports I have seen so far have been little more than headlines. Has anyone come across a reasonably detailed and neutral evaluation of the deal yet?

I wonder whether MPs have seen it yet? Will it be withheld until as close as possible to the parliamentary debate?
  • Options
    Am I missing something important?

A Europe only ERASMUS scheme is being replaced with a newer, potentially better global Turing scheme.

And that's supposed to be a problem? 🤔

Is it the lack of a dedication to Europe that is the issue? Or the successor being open globally that is the problem?

Global is better than Europe only.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    The ending of ERASMUS is atrocious.

I'm prepared to move on from Brexit and have but this is an utterly crap, nasty, decision.
  • Options

DavidL said:

On the other hand, UK universities will be moving new EU students to international fee rates from this autumn.
    It varies by course and institution, but the ballpark increase is about 9k to about 20-30k. More than doubling, close to tripling for practical courses.
    True although the Scottish government was pretending for a while that they were going to maintain their position of having EU citizens paying no fees at all whilst the English paid £9K a head to finance the whole thing. I think that madness has proven to be too extreme even for Nicola and she is backing off. Whether Universities go to the full international rate will of course be a matter for them and will no doubt depend on the market for particular courses but I have little doubt that they will be paying more.
  • Options

Good morning Malc.

Hello G, yes we had a great day , saw our grandsons for first time in a while for an hour. Hope you and yours had a great day and wish you a great 2021.
    That is just perfect Malc - so happy for you both being with your grandsons on Christmas Day

And thank you for your kind wishes for 2021 - vaccination for all will be joyous
  • Options

Foxy said:

There was quite a campaign not too long ago by a Dutch University.....Maastricht IIRC.... to attract UK students. Being taught in English was one of the attractions.

I would imagine the main attraction is that that the Dutch University tuition fees are ~ 2000 euro a year.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Or maybe just a value for money scheme that applies worldwide, not just to the EU
    This government doesn’t know anything about value for money. Unless by value for money you mean giving a crony a job. What are the odds on Dido Harding getting the Turing gig post Corona? Must be pretty high.

• Options

Jonathan said:

In fairness Erasmus was not restricted to Europe. Several of my daughter's friends went to the likes of Japan, Taiwan and the US through it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This government doesn’t know anything about value for money. Unless by value for money you mean giving a crony a job. What are the odds on Dido Harding getting the Turing gig post Corona? Must be pretty high.

Maybe you will be surprised
  • Options
    Considering that according to international independent rankings the best universities are located in the UK, USA and the rest of the world excluding the EU I'd have thought a global exchange scheme would be better educationally too?

If this opens up opportunities in more of the world's best universities would that not be a good thing?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

I wonder whether MPs have seen it yet? Will it be withheld until as close as possible to the parliamentary debate?
    It is available on a website linked to by the BBC. It just looks too dull for words. How many MPs get around to reading it will be an interesting question, probably only the irrational maniacs on either side so the questions are likely to be highly selective and unilluminating.
  • Options

Am I missing something important?

A Europe only ERASMUS scheme is being replaced with a newer, potentially better global Turing scheme.

And that's supposed to be a problem? 🤔

Is it the lack of a dedication to Europe that is the issue? Or the successor being open globally that is the problem?

Global is better than Europe only.

That is perhaps the weakest, meaningless defence ever mounted on PB. You can replace anything you like with something ‘newer’ and ‘potentially better’.

By your logic, you would demolish Stonehenge or Buckingham Palace, to make way for something newer and potentially better.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    You say his response was ill thought out.
    But surely, though he didn't have it quite pat, it was carefully designed to mislead Parliament.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Will the SNP still be funding university places for EU citizens? While charging the English and rather than using their funds to be better educating their own.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

This says it all

If one photograph is worth a thousand words. This is it. Quite brilliant!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe you will be surprised
    The government’s finances and track record suggest you will be disappointed sadly.

But there will certainly be press statements, moonshots and repeatedly announced spending. Everything short of actual delivery.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Politically he is safe, much safer than people think so I like the angle. Personal and health resignation reasons are very difficult to price for a man who is recently out of intensive care and a chaotic (albeit "normal for him") private life. 1.72 might be a touch of value but not quite enough for me when waiting 18 months.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Settled for the rest of this parliament though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Settled for the rest of this parliament though.
    Scotland.
  • Options

The ending of ERASMUS is atrocious.

I'm prepared to move on from Brexit and have but this is an utterly crap, nasty, decision.

That very few people will have heard of never mind care about. As the detail emerges there will be plenty of utterly crap, nasty decisions to attack them on.

My starter for 10: subsidies. A lot of people directly or indirectly benefited from a lot of European subsidies - regions and farmers. I did enjoy seeing Vote Leave signs on roads paid for by the EU when touring the Outer Hebrides for example. Lewis residents may be OK in that the Scottish government will chuck money at them. In England? Too bad - the Tories will not be stumping up the cash you have just lost. They are suggesting they will find a replacement for regions and farmers but in practice very sorry but Covid, so we're replacing your previous Pound with 10p. What do you mean that isn't enough? Bloody peasants.
  • Options
    alednam said:

You say his response was ill thought out.
    But surely, though he didn't have it quite pat, it was carefully designed to mislead Parliament.

Alternatively, and dare I suggest slightly more rationally, Boris was perfectly content to remain in Erasmus and intended to be so until the EU started playing silly buggers with the price and once again overestimated their own worth.

But whatever.
  • Options

Foxy said:

There are quite a few universities on the continent that offer teaching in English. The attraction isn't mainly for monoglot Brits but for Europeans to learn English at the same time as their main subject. I guess that in most cases the teaching is carried out by non-native speakers of English.
    There has historically been an imbalance in Erasmus - many more students wish to study in the UK than UK students want to study abroad.
This discussion has been closed.