Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It would appear we are only hours away from a deal – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,626
    CNN Business) - Germany's Lufthansa operated a special cargo flight to airlift fruit and vegetables to England on Wednesday as shortages of food and other vital supplies loom because of continuing chaos at the UK-French border.

A Lufthansa (DLAKY) spokesperson told CNN Business that the Boeing 777 freighter was carrying 80 tons of perishable goods from Frankfurt to Doncaster-Sheffield airport in northern England. The airline said it was working with a freight forwarder to supply food from Egypt and elsewhere to supermarkets such as Tesco (TSCDY), Sainsbury's (JSAIY) and Aldi.
    The move comes as the UK supermarket chains and other businesses struggle to cope with the impact of Sunday's closure of vital freight arteries between southern England and France, triggered by the British government's warning that a new, more infectious variant of Covid-19 was out of control in London and the surrounding areas.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583
    Ah crap, the boom has been cancelled.
  • That's a shame because all the front pages are now wrong.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,394
    edited December 2020
    Impressive predix for 2020, on Jan 1

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1212327648338337795?s=20
  • Johnson and Von Der Leyen still arguing about which whorish shade of red the lipstick should be on the pig

Unkind to bring Cameron into this particular moment of sealing Brexit.....
    Squeal Piggy!
    The chief led them, trotting steadily, exulting in his achievement. He was a chief now in truth; and he made stabbing motions with his spear. From his left hand dangled Piggy’s broken glasses.
    Ewwww
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,626
    Ohio teachers and school staff — including cafeteria workers, bus drivers, custodians and clerical workers, along with anyone else working at a school who comes in contact with the children at that school — will be in the next group of people to receive the Covid-19 vaccine, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced during his press conference today.

That's a shame because all the front pages are now wrong.
    Well think about it, they cant exactly say the call is because the deal has been signed. Because they will want to announced that together.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    I feel like this and other reports are not contradictory. A deal may not be 'done', but they may be within sight if they are having an actual Cabinet meeting, since I find it hard to believe that they have a proprer (albeit online) Cabinet meeting every time there is an update on how the talks are going.
  • IanB2 said:

CNN Business) - Germany's Lufthansa operated a special cargo flight...... to supply food from Egypt....

How do you think it got from Egypt to Frankfurt? On a truck?

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873

Scott_xP said:

How many of these lines will survive closer scrutiny?

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1341869025991733248

That's a class Sun front page.
    ....with Boris emptying his sack......
    Something which has got him into bother on more than one occasion.
  • IanB2 said:

CNN Business) - Germany's Lufthansa operated a special cargo flight to airlift fruit and vegetables to England on Wednesday as shortages of food and other vital supplies loom because of continuing chaos at the UK-French border.

A Lufthansa (DLAKY) spokesperson told CNN Business that the Boeing 777 freighter was carrying 80 tons of perishable goods from Frankfurt to Doncaster-Sheffield airport in northern England. The airline said it was working with a freight forwarder to supply food from Egypt and elsewhere to supermarkets such as Tesco (TSCDY), Sainsbury's (JSAIY) and Aldi.
    The move comes as the UK supermarket chains and other businesses struggle to cope with the impact of Sunday's closure of vital freight arteries between southern England and France, triggered by the British government's warning that a new, more infectious variant of Covid-19 was out of control in London and the surrounding areas.

It was hired by a company supplying Tesco, Coop, Sainsbury and Aldi
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,559
    Can we be certain of one thing:

If we have a deal it is because Johnson has done what he said he wouldn't do on Northern Ireland?
  • https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1341873966949011456?s=20

Perhaps you should have told BA 57 minutes ago before their flight to JNB took off? Or 19 minutes ago before the Cape Town flight departed?

Fortunately the inbound BA & VA flights land before 9am.....
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,893
    I missed this yesterday.

Putin signs bill granting lifetime immunity to former Russian presidents
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/putin-signs-bill-granting-lifetime-immunity-to-former-russian-presidents
    ... The bill, which was published online on Tuesday, gives former presidents and their families immunity from prosecution for crimes committed during their lifetime.

They will also be exempt from questioning by police or investigators, as well as searches or arrests...
  • I have to say, HYUFD gets some stick on here and I didn't particularly share his enthusiasm for Trafalgar, but when it came to the direction of the EU trade negotiations he was proved right, right and right again!

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1341873966949011456?s=20

Perhaps you should have told BA 57 minutes ago before their flight to JNB took off? Or 19 minutes ago before the Cape Town flight departed?

Isn't that fortunate.

Urgent shutdown. But not yet.
    Laws are for the little people, contd....

U.S. Considers Granting Immunity to Saudi Prince in Suspected Assassination Attempt

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/us/politics/mbs-saudi-immunity-trump.html
    If the request is granted, it could potentially provide a legal basis to dismiss a separate case against Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for the killing of Jamal Khashoggi.
  • I have to say, HYUFD gets some stick on here and I didn't particularly share his enthusiasm for Trafalgar, but when it came to the direction of the EU trade negotiations he was proved right, right and right again!

Not really since he was saying we would sign up to what the EU were demanding for LPF. Prior to the EU accepting we wouldn't.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    I suspect at this stage we are literally negotiating over individual fish. "OK, you get Barry, but we get Tom and Dave".
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,791
    Lady G is trending on twitter. I am not convinced this is the much missed PB lesbian newt painter.

https://twitter.com/NunesDrag/status/1341867762235432961?s=19
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,394
    Foxy said:

Lady G is trending on twitter. I am not convinced this is the much missed PB lesbian newt painter.

https://twitter.com/NunesDrag/status/1341867762235432961?s=19

That looks like Miss Eddie Izzard
  • Car makers not coming to the rescue....well, they tried:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1341878738183712769?s=20
  • Bit of a dodgy salute from that Chelsea Pensioner. Which side did he serve on again?
    The Mad Madhi probably. Chelsea Pensioners are inclusive these days.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,781

I suspect at this stage we are literally negotiating over individual fish. "OK, you get Barry, but we get Tom and Dave".
    They both want Nemo.....
  • It would appear its the Brexitoons and Remaniacs who are most upset - classic thread:

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1341874363436568576?s=20

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1341873966949011456?s=20

Isn't that fortunate.

Urgent shutdown. But not yet.
    The story of our Covid response.....
  • Fun fact - EU countries have a trade surplus with us in goods. The deal ensures continued, tariff-free access for them. We have a trade surplus in services with the EU. The deal creates major new barriers for us to export them into our biggest market.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207

ClippP said:

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Tiresome, I'd say. But one thing he has never been accused of it boring.
    Boorish though
    Boorish, certainly, and deadly boring as well. All you Tories kept on chanting, " He may be useless, but at least Boris is fun!" I don´t see any fun at all at present.

So the question remains: What is Boris for?
    Simple - producing more kids than the Lib Dems have MPs...
    At least TRY to make it challenging
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,496

That big Brexit discussion in Brussels tonight:

Do we put Macron's toys back in his pram and tuck him up, or leave him alone, screaming until, exhausted, he finally falls asleep?

Controlled crying works.....
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Nigelb said:

I missed this yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/putin-signs-bill-granting-lifetime-immunity-to-former-russian-presidents
    ... The bill, which was published online on Tuesday, gives former presidents and their families immunity from prosecution for crimes committed during their lifetime.

They will also be exempt from questioning by police or investigators, as well as searches or arrests...

Does it apply to former presidents of other countries resident in Russia as well?

What could have got the deal over the line at this point? I'm scratching my head. The most obvious thing is the UK government panicking over the situation at Dover. I'm happy to be proved wrong however.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2020
    https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1341884081102008321/photo/1

Daily Fail are reporting giving ground on fishing, what do we think?
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

I missed this yesterday.

Does it apply to former presidents of other countries resident in Russia as well?

That might not be the worst of outcomes. Providing they stayed there permanently.

Meanwhile, it just occurred to me that it’s barely a week now before we can engage in some 20/20 hindsight.

That the final position was somewhere between the two opening position of both sides? Yes.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,458

Fun fact - EU countries have a trade surplus with us in goods. The deal ensures continued, tariff-free access for them. We have a trade surplus in services with the EU. The deal creates major new barriers for us to export them into our biggest market.

You want car prices to go up 10% overnight ?!
    ‘Complete clusterf---’: Trump leaves Washington in limbo
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/23/trump-leaves-washington-in-limbo-450276
    Pulpstar said:

Fun fact - EU countries have a trade surplus with us in goods. The deal ensures continued, tariff-free access for them. We have a trade surplus in services with the EU. The deal creates major new barriers for us to export them into our biggest market.

I believe SO voted against all this nonsense. Don’t blame him for any consequences.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,860
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

I missed this yesterday.

They will just have to be assassinated on the spot then, won´t they?

The world gets worse by the minute......
  • Pulpstar said:

Not at all. I am all for no tariffs or barriers. But I’d rather we got them in areas where we have a surplus, too.

Pulpstar said:

Not at all. I am all for no tariffs or barriers. But I’d rather we got them in areas where we have a surplus, too.

Well as someone who works in exports I'm praying this gets over the line.
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

So am I! It’s far, far better than the alternative.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,529
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you need to clarify your position. As someone who works in exports and voted remain/leave etc.
  • Pulpstar said:

Face it, whatever the deal came out of the negotiations you would have claimed it was a bad one.

Personally I have no idea if this is good or bad. I haven't seen the detail. I suspect it won't be as good as it could have been nor as bad as it might have been. That is the way of these things. I would rather have had someone other than Johnson negotiating - but politicians who aren't concerned first and foremost with their own popularity are thin on the ground and that is never a good position to be in when in negotiations of any sort.

For me the fact we are out of the EU is in itself more than enough. The rest is just the normal world of politics to be faced and dealt with.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought that we have no need of exports, or did I mishear?
  • Nigelb said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

I missed this yesterday.

That might not be the worst of outcomes. Providing they stayed there permanently.

Meanwhile, it just occurred to me that it’s barely a week now before we can engage in some 20/20 hindsight.
    LOTO leading the way on that at least.
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you need to clarify your position. As someone who works in exports and voted remain/leave etc.
    Of course I voted for remain. When the country voted to leave, well we needed to leave to fulfill the Democratic mandate. We left at the start of the year when we went into the transition period, anything after that is simply detail politically speaking.
    I was supportive of May's deal, and think MPs should have voted it through.
    I'd be supportive of an indefinite transition, though I doubt the EU or the UK want that so we are where we are now.
    This deal is infinitely better than the alternative of No Deal.

There you go.
    For all those praising the deal - we don't actually know what it is yet.

Not sure anyone has actually praised it yet. Quite the reverse, actually.
  • Pulpstar said:

Face it, whatever the deal came out of the negotiations you would have claimed it was a bad one.

Personally I have no idea if this is good or bad. I haven't seen the detail. I suspect it won't be as good as it could have been nor as bad as it might have been. That is the way of these things. I would rather have had someone other than Johnson negotiating - but politicians who aren't concerned first and foremost with their own popularity are thin on the ground and that is never a good position to be in when in negotiations of any sort.

For me the fact we are out of the EU is in itself more than enough. The rest is just the normal world of politics to be faced and dealt with.

Yep, I don’t agree with you but I respect your entirely consistent opinion. As soon as services were excluded from the negotiations, the deal was never going to be a positive one for the UK from a trade perspective. But having one is far, far better than not having one.

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

I missed this yesterday.

Hmmm - so if Trump marries Putin.....
    Well as long as there isn't a tariff on Good Brie the nation can sleep easily tonight.

Night night all.
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Of course I voted for remain. When the country voted to leave, well we needed to leave to fulfill the Democratic mandate. We left at the start of the year when we went into the transition period, anything after that is simply detail politically speaking.
    I was supportive of May's deal, and think MPs should have voted it through.
    I'd be supportive of an indefinite transition, though I doubt the EU or the UK want that so we are where we are now.
    This deal is infinitely better than the alternative of No Deal.

There you go.
    You are a hell of a guy!

:smile:
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought that we have no need of exports, or did I mishear?
    Alistair said:
    Hey sugar tits you didn't answer my question earlier.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

Not sure anyone has actually praised it yet. Quite the reverse, actually.
    Some will have praised the reaching of a deal (if it happens), but that is not quite the same thing as praising the contents.
    It really has provisions relating to pineapple pizza, Radiohead?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TOPPING said:

Alistair said:
    It is because it was a question only a fucking moron would ask. So I ignored it.
    Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:
    It is because it was a question only a fucking moron would ask. So I ignored it.
    So you can't answer it. Fair enough.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,147
    Alistair said:
    Good for Biden, he will govern from the centre as he was elected to do
    edited December 2020

They'll be calling it the Christmas Deal, to go with the Good Friday Agreement.

At this point, I think most people have stopped caring about the details. We'll see how it works out in practice soon enough.
    Yes, the hand of history is truly on Boris' shoulder tonight, having delivered Brexit he is now about to deliver a trade deal with the EU, whatever else he does his premiership will now anter the annals of history for decades if not centuries to come
  • Alistair said:

Biden is a fucking moron

twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1341881017489973248?s=19

Biden is certainly optimistic about the prospects for GOP bipartisanship.
    edited December 2020
    Remain Rejoin dies if(Likely when, I hope!) a deal is signed. No deal was always its best chance.
  • HYUFD said:

At this point, I think most people have stopped caring about the details. We'll see how it works out in practice soon enough.
    Yes, the hand of history is truly on Boris' shoulder tonight, having delivered Brexit he is now about to deliver a trade deal with the EU, whatever else he does his premiership will now anter the annals of history for decades if not centuries to come
    Is the deal "hard" enough to deter Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU?

HYUFD said:

Is the deal "hard" enough to deter Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU?
    It avoids No Deal which is devastating for Sturgeon as she was relying on that as her excuse for indyref2 while still leaving the SM so there would still be technically a hard border with Scexit
    RobD said:

...Python, is Die Hard a Christmas movie? How many SeanTs there are.....
    edited December 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Remain Rejoin dies if(Likely when, I hope!) a deal is signed. No deal was always its best chance.

Yes, a terrible night for Adonis, Campbell and Lammy and Grieve etc as well as Sturgeon but a triumphant night for Boris whose place in the history books is now assured for all eternity as the man who delivered Brexit and secured its future with the EU trade deal.

Also a bad night for Farage, Boris will now be remembered as the man who truly was the architect of Brexit not him

Alistair said:

Biden is a fucking moron

Much depends on Georgia. If the Democrats can grab that he only depends on holding Manchin and Sanders in a voting coalition, no need for Romney, Collins or Murkowski to get bills over the line
  • RobD said:

It has a whole chapter on Die Hard being a Christmas movie.

Alistair said:

Biden is a fucking moron

The extent of the bipartisanship he might require is likely the votes of a couple of senators - that’s not beyond the bounds of possibility.
  • Well as long as there isn't a tariff on Good Brie the nation can sleep easily tonight.

Night night all.

Cheese should be solid, not liquid.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,664

Well as long as there isn't a tariff on Good Brie the nation can sleep easily tonight.

Night night all.

Not sure that would be compatible with a US trade deal as it would rule out aerosol cheddar.

• MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    Someone posted on here a long time ago that all that mattered was that Boris ended up declaring Victory and the Mail / Sun etc endorsed that.

The actual contents of the deal - completely irrelevant. Nobody cares (including Boris).
    Pulpstar said:

Certainly no politician representing an English seat, probably also Wales, is ever going to open up the conversation on th doorsteps with "I really think we should re-fight the Brexit battle and join the EU - with the Euro as our currency...."
  • Should we offer to help our EU neighbours with their genome sequencing and help them discover what mutant covid variations they have, or are we best off using the capacity we have for ourselves?

Should we offer to help our EU neighbours with their genome sequencing and help them discover what mutant covid variations they have, or are we best off using the capacity we have for ourselves?

Perhaps they should join the UK Covid genome sequencing program? For entirely non-ideological reasons, of course.
  • Well as long as there isn't a tariff on Good Brie the nation can sleep easily tonight.

Night night all.

Not sure that would be compatible with a US trade deal as it would rule out aerosol cheddar.

That should be some sort of crime against humanity.
  • RobD said:

Should we offer to help our EU neighbours with their genome sequencing and help them discover what mutant covid variations they have, or are we best off using the capacity we have for ourselves?

Perhaps they should join the UK Covid genome sequencing program? For entirely non-ideological reasons, of course.
    Do you know if that's an opportunity available to them? Should we formally offer it?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,446
    edited December 2020
    Back to mutant viruses...

Here's a paper which might support the idea that giving a immunocompromised patient convalescent plasma led to the current difficulties:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.05.20241927v2

The experiment sequenced the virus before and after the plasma was given (unsuccessfully). The virus evolved and the evolution included some of the changes seen in the "supercovid" strain...

We should definitely stop giving people convalescent plasma unless it is highly controlled.

Night night all.

That should be some sort of crime against humanity.
    I think it was envisioned in the Fast Show - as Squeezy Cheese. Brilliant!!!!!!!!
  • RobD said:

Do you know if that's an opportunity available to them? Should we formally offer it?
    Did anybody else know, before the last few weeks, that we were so far ahead of everybody in the genome sequencing game?

For a start, how so? I mean, we seem to be ridiculously ahead of everyone. I'm not looking at the figures now, but the ones I saw on here said we were about a hundred times ahead per covid test done, and we're well ahead on testing per capita over most we're compared against. I know we have some really top research facilities here, and there are bound to be things that we excel at. But how can we be quite so far ahead in the work done on this virus? Surely other countries had the potential to have done similar work?

And second, why is this only coming out now when we must have been doing the far higher level of genome sequencing for some time? I'm damned impressed by our numbers, but given the disparity with our neighbours' numbers I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't offer much earlier to help them out with this kind of testing (or if we did why we kept so quiet about it).
  • RobD said:

Did anybody else know, before the last few weeks, that we were so far ahead of everybody in the genome sequencing game?

For a start, how so? I mean, we seem to be ridiculously ahead of everyone. I'm not looking at the figures now, but the ones I saw on here said we were about a hundred times ahead per covid test done, and we're well ahead on testing per capita over most we're compared against. I know we have some really top research facilities here, and there are bound to be things that we excel at. But how can we be quite so far ahead in the work done on this virus? Surely other countries had the potential to have done similar work?

And second, why is this only coming out now when we must have been doing the far higher level of genome sequencing for some time? I'm damned impressed by our numbers, but given the disparity with our neighbours' numbers I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't offer much earlier to help them out with this kind of testing (or if we did why we kept so quiet about it).
    If you look at the detail we have been gene sequencing for places all over the world right back to the original outbreak. There are sequences for China, Australia, the USA and all over Europe included in the work they have been doing. It makes sense as that is the only way to track the mutations.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    On topic. Yep. Just as I have been saying for weeks now, announced and printed shortly after lunch today on the 24th.

It’s readable their game, the optimum moment for reduced scrutiny and maximum haste in the rubber stamp.

And they will have us believe the whole picture on covid changed hours after parliament dissolved too 😏
  • RobD said:

If you look at the detail we have been gene sequencing for places all over the world right back to the original outbreak. There are sequences for China, Australia, the USA and all over Europe included in the work they have been doing. It makes sense as that is the only way to track the mutations.
    That's really good to hear. And of course it makes sense to collaborate. But I'm still astonished at the disparity in the levels we're doing compared to everybody else. I might be misremembering but I thought I read something here that Wales had done more genome sequence tests this month than the US had done in total on covid. If that's even close to being true I can not understand how..
  • RobD said:

That's really good to hear. And of course it makes sense to collaborate. But I'm still astonished at the disparity in the levels we're doing compared to everybody else. I might be misremembering but I thought I read something here that Wales had done more genome sequence tests this month than the US had done in total on covid. If that's even close to being true I can not understand how..
    I remember something else that said the US had done about half our number in total so either I'm confused or there's been confusing information.
  • Well done Cambridge way back when..

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/sequencingcovid
  • Well done Cambridge way back when..

https://www.cam.ac.uk/stories/sequencingcovid

Ahh.. that's why we didn't know about it sooner. Cambridge folk are far too modest to make a fuss. As I'm sure @TheScreamingEagles will prove.
  • Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings, surely? Arise Sir #ClassicDom?
This discussion has been closed.