Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It would appear we are only hours away from a deal – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2020 in General
imageIt would appear we are only hours away from a deal – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Brexit is boring
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Won't believe it till Boris and UVdL both announce it.
    & What a massive upgrade over Drunker she is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050
    I wonder how self aware are some of those making comments like that unironically. They have to know they don't know crap a lot of the time, and caveating their speculation dressed up sourced info doesn't disguise what most of them are doing.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Though oddly some journalists still tweeting about the imminent deal..so I really don't know.

Perhaps they were wrong insomuch it was never going to be tonight - tomorrow Perhaps?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Anyone got a webcam of the commission exterior? Need to see that smoke.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    RobD said:

The conclave of the high priests of the ERG should use that method to signal whether they approve of the deal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Smoke? Has Bomber Harris been round?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

No, but maybe it'll be announced to the European Parliament, as seen here

There has been an attempt on U vdL's life? :o:D
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I've got a touch of the Douglas Adams' about this, as soon as anyone discovers exactly what the deal is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
  • Options

RobD said:

Smoke? Has Bomber Harris been round?
    He was despatched earlier today to deliver the divorce bill. As agreed, in pennies.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    edited December 2020

I've got a touch of the Douglas Adams' about this, as soon as anyone discovers exactly what the deal is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

That tense wait to see if we have chopped our foot off or the whole leg...
  • Options
    I can't decide if this is some weird spoof:

This is why I still have faith that Donald Trump is going to win his rightful second term as president (and I mean now, not 2024). It’s not that I underestimate the vastness of the forces arrayed against him. Rather it’s that I believe there are enough people out there – from those 74million Trump voters to the Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe to the tenacious, fearless, 5-D-chess-playing President himself – who understand that this attempted election theft poses an existential threat to the Republic and, by extension, to the Free World. They will not let this crime happen because they are fully aware that the costs of nipping this globalist coup in the bud now will be as nothing to the costs of dealing with it should these evil-doers be allowed to prevail.

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/i-still-believe-trump-will-and-must-win/
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Foxy said:

It's Boris. It'll be mere flesh-wounds as you say.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    Foxy said:

The snake oil is being bottled, corked, and labelled as we write.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719

RobD said:

The conclave of the high priests of the ERG should use that method to signal whether they approve of the deal.
    The smoke will be coming out of their ears.
  • Options
    Johnson and Von Der Leyen still arguing about which whorish shade of red the lipstick should be on the pig
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Rejoice. A Christmas miracle.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    kle4 said:

I wonder how self aware are some of those making comments like that unironically. They have to know they don't know crap a lot of the time, and caveating their speculation dressed up sourced info doesn't disguise what most of them are doing.
    Pullitzer prize for the first journo to tweet "Brexit: we know fuck all..."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Another bad covid day for Germany

+31,297 Cases +886 deaths
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,846
    Jonathan said:

The Oxford vaccine is approved?
  • Options

Johnson and Von Der Leyen still arguing about which whorish shade of red the lipstick should be on the pig

Unkind to bring Cameron into this particular moment of sealing Brexit.....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    Why was the last thread discussing WW2?

Was it all the fault of the naughty individual who blamed the Falklands War on Mr Thatcher?

I love the logic of that: I invade your country, it's your fault. Happens every day all ovver the country over 10cm of hedge.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MattW said:

Was it all the fault of the naughty individual who blamed the Falklands War on Mr Thatcher?

I love the logic of that: I invade your country, it's your fault. Happens every day all ovver the country over 10cm of hedge.

It was the comparison of lockdown to the Dresden firestorm that did it.
  • Options
    My son met his mate at the barbers today

Tonight his mate contacted by track and trace and told to isolate for 5 more days.......

Am I right in thinking this means he was exposed potentially 5 days ago?

My son has already had covid so he should be fine, but he is supposed to be coming to my place xmas day (we are still tier 2 - for now) - could he still infect his family?

• Options
    Tier 4 during Christmas holidays is exactly that. If that isn't enough to get R below 1 we are buggered.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

It was the comparison of lockdown to the Dresden firestorm that did it.
    As we all do.........
  • Options

Jonathan said:

We need one hour when we announce 1. Brexit deal done 2. Oxford vaccine approved 3. Queen to abdicte for William 4 Kim Kardashain has liposuction to remove her butt.

24 hour news would never, ever recover from the shock of trying to work out which to go with....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Floater said:

My son met his mate at the barbers today

Tonight his mate contacted by track and trace and told to isolate for 5 more days.......

Am I right in thinking this means he was exposed potentially 5 days ago?

My son has already had covid so he should be fine, but he is supposed to be coming to my place xmas day (we are still tier 2 - for now) - could he still infect his family?

I believe that's correct. My sister got a notification and she had to isolate for three days, which was 10 from the contact.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,701

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

We need one hour when we announce 1. Brexit deal done 2. Oxford vaccine approved 3. Queen to abdicte for William 4 Kim Kardashain has liposuction to remove her butt.

24 hour news would never, ever recover from the shock of trying to work out which to go with....
    Obviously Kim K..........
  • Options

And of course some say that this has happened already.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    His behaviour in recent weeks has been completely in character. Barr knew who he was serving. And presumably will keep quiet, given Trump was relatively nice when announcing Barr was going.
  • Options
    FPT

So, if I’m keeping up, the fact that the Allies didn’t seem to care much about protecting Axis lives in World War II, 75 years ago, demonstrates that lockdowns aren’t actually about public health but something else completely?

Did I miss a step or two, or is that it?

Wait until you hear what Sweden did during WWII.

That's the example we should have followed.

It would have saved so many British lives.
    Despite several pleas from the Finnish government, the Swedish government declined to engage militarily with the Red Army as it advanced during the Winter War. However, Sweden declared itself "non-belligerent" rather than neutral during the conflict and as many as 8,000 Swedes voluntarily went to Finland to fight. The Swedish government and public also sent food, clothing, medicine, weapons and ammunition to aid the Finns during this conflict. This military aid included:[15]

135,402 rifles, 347 machine guns, 450 light machine guns with 50,013,300 rounds of small arms ammunition;
    144 field guns, 100 anti-aircraft guns and 92 anti-tank guns with 301,846 shells;
    300 naval mines and 500 depth charges;
    17 fighter aircraft, 5 light bombers, 1 DC-2 transport aircraft turned into a bomber, and 3 reconnaissance aircraft.

[..]

In 1943, Sweden received nearly all of Denmark's 8,000 Jews (along with 9,000 Danish Christians who were seeking refuge from conditions of war) [42]. With the dissolution of the Danish government in the summer of 1943, the German authorities had decided to deport Denmark's Jewish population to concentration camps. However, the Danes successfully ferried all but 450 of the Danish Jews across the straits between Copenhagen and the Swedish mainland, across waters that were patrolled by German Schnellboots, in an unprecedented rescue effort. Once in Sweden, the Danish Jews were granted asylum and taken in by Swedish families. Many stayed in Sweden after the war. Sweden also received refugees from Finland and Norway, including some of Norway's Jews. All this, as well as the protection of Sweden's own Jewish population, was made possible by Sweden's neutrality. A daily newspaper in Sweden, the Svenska Dagbladet said that Sweden did more to assist and save Jews than any other country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_during_World_War_II
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Tiresome, I'd say. But one thing he has never been accused of it boring.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

With gangrene it's important to get rid of all the rot isn't it?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited December 2020
    Any deal is very good news, not only because it prevents the disaster of no deal but because it provides an amicable basis from which to rebuild what will continue to be the most important geopolitical and trading relationship we will have. It will be a huge relief for anyone who cares about this country. Obviously, making it harder and more expensive to export to our biggest market while removing freedoms from UK citizens is sub-optimal, to say the least, but it is much better than the alternative. And it will be sealed with smiles and handshakes. The rabid xenophobia a no deal would have unleashed in our right wing press will not be required - beyond a week or so of claims of stunning victory.
  • Options
    Maybe just putting it off a few hours so it can be called the Christmas Eve Deal, like the Good Friday Agreement. We will refer to it as the CED in future.
  • Options
    Floater said:

744 deaths isn't exactly a "good" day for the UK...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,201
    How many of these lines will survive closer scrutiny?

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1341869025991733248
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boorish though
  • Options

Floater said:

744 deaths isn't exactly a "good" day for the UK...
    No doubt - but Germany had been doing so well at the start
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,201

Maybe just putting it off a few hours so it can be called the Christmas Eve Deal, like the Good Friday Agreement. We will refer to it as the CED in future.

BoZo rose on Easter Sunday and delivered a deal on Christmas Eve...

You would need to be a writer with vivid imagination to come up with that one
  • Options
    That big Brexit discussion in Brussels tonight:

Do we put Macron's toys back in his pram and tuck him up, or leave him alone, screaming until, exhausted, he finally falls asleep?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    Anyone who spends more than 20 minutes on Twitter each day needs to have a re-think IMO.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Cabinet meeting in the next hour according to Sky News.
  • Options
    Breaking

Sky

Boris calling cabinet meeting as of now
  • Options

Breaking

Sky

Boom?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boris-bashing is boring.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    Pulpstar said:

Brexit is boring

Yes, a deal Brexit will be very boring. So is Joe Biden. No deal Brexit/Trump aren't.
    Boring options are the sane ones.
    If you're right, Starmer's got the next GE in the bag then.
  • Options
    Cabinet at 11pm? Must be war with France.
  • Options

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boris-bashing is boring.
    He may be many things but boring he is not
  • Options
    RobD said:

Calais must be ours.
  • Options
    Bit of a dodgy salute from that Chelsea Pensioner. Which side did he serve on again?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wouldn't that be Midnight in Brussels? Must be to mark the starttime of a capitulation.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1341869025991733248

For me, the key observation is that Boris broke convention and overrode watchdogs to ennoble Leavers, which suggests he is preparing to compromise on Brexit so needs them onside.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boorish though
    Boorish, certainly, and deadly boring as well. All you Tories kept on chanting, " He may be useless, but at least Boris is fun!" I don´t see any fun at all at present.

So the question remains: What is Boris for?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's a class Sun front page.
  • Options
    Sun saying personal triumph for Johnson.

Looks like Rupert is on board. Makes it harder for ERG loons now.
  • Options

Bit of a dodgy salute from that Chelsea Pensioner. Which side did he serve on again?
    Outrageous, that's the half hearted, energy saving salute-cum-wave of a British Royal he is imitating.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Brexit rots from its head.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,847
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone who spends more than 20 minutes on Twitter each day needs to have a re-think IMO.

If we banned people who have face book or twitter accounts from voting it would go a long way to solve the issue of social media affecting elections and also make the counts much much faster .... nods
  • Options
    ClippP said:

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boorish though
    Boorish, certainly, and deadly boring as well. All you Tories kept on chanting, " He may be useless, but at least Boris is fun!" I don´t see any fun at all at present.

Probably to wind you up
  • Options
    RobD said:

Breaking

Sky

Boom?
    More likely Zoom.
  • Options

Breaking

Sky

"OK guys. We have sorted out fishing. We have resolved the level playing field. The big issues between us have been settled so we can continue with tariff-free trading with Europe but outside the clutches of Brusses. It's all we could realistically expect. It will give us - and me - a great boost in the polls.

One little thing though. Luxembourg - the bastards - will crash the deal unless we agree one more point.

We must have burgundy passports.

So we are all agreed - No Deal?"
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

If we banned people who have face book or twitter accounts from voting it would go a long way to solve the issue of social media affecting elections and also make the counts much much faster .... nods
    Not the next set of counts, alas. Had the anticipated email from my local authority around current intentions, verifying one day, counting principal authority the next, parishes the next day etc. It just won't be the same when it is not 3am.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    USA 1,004 deaths/million on worldometer.
  • Options

Squeal Piggy!
  • Options

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boris-bashing is boring.
    Bishop bashing over Boris is boring, except for the chaps that enjoy it I presume.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    ClippP said:

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boorish though

Simple - producing more kids than the Lib Dems have MPs...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Breaking

Sky

Boom?
    Nah - Gordon Brown ended that.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827

Foxy said:

Are you suggesting auto-decapitation ?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A bit like the WA, they will only realise what they voted for months later.
  • Options
    Heroic spin from The Sun. UK red tape the replace the EU variety and tariffs were never part of the negotiation. But if they’re on board that’s great.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The Sun having an orgasm was entirely predictable - no matter what Boris agreed or disagreed. Rupert knows that any disparaging of Boris amounts to a disparaging of Brexit itself and ultimately of his own judgement. He must satisfy his readers that they and he were right all along and everything's lovely.
  • Options

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boris-bashing is boring.
    Speak for yourself, Mr Mark
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    IshmaelZ said:

It looks very likely that Supercovid is running amok in Germany
  • Options

Heroic spin from The Sun. UK red tape the replace the EU variety and tariffs were never part of the negotiation. But if they’re on board that’s great.

From my personal experience red tape has gone through the roof.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Are you suggesting auto-decapitation ?
    That would be peak Brexitmania!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827

ClippP said:

Brexit is boring

Boris is boring.
    Boris-bashing is boring.
    Sordid euphemism you have there...

• Options

Scott_xP said:

That's a class Sun front page.
    ....with Boris emptying his sack......
  • Options

From my personal experience red tape has gone through the roof.
    Of course. The SM was all about removing red tape, barriers and friction. We've voted to put it all back again.

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo rose on Easter Sunday and delivered a deal on Christmas Eve...

You would need to be a writer with vivid imagination to come up with that one
    The Second Coming (no laughing at the back!) may have taken on a form that no one could possibly have expected...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

UK = 1,015
  • Options

Squeal Piggy!
    The chief led them, trotting steadily, exulting in his achievement. He was a chief now in truth; and he made stabbing motions with his spear. From his left hand dangled Piggy’s broken glasses.
This discussion has been closed.