Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Liz Truss moves from a 100/1 shot for next PM to 33/1 in just two weeks – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,249
    edited December 2020

Vaccine update:

Mrs P's 88 year old father, who was given an appointment for his first Covid shot next Tuesday, was called by the GP practice today and told the appointment was going to be rearranged for after Christmas, date tbc. ☹️

Supply issues apparently. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Sorry to hear that, I did mention I had heard stuff like this before.

There's also this story in The Times.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1339873230883045377

The government are likely to have overpromised and underdelivered once again.

The irony is that the government's approach to vaccine was genuinely world beating.
    The overpromise was totally unnecessary. I don't know why they haven't learned yet, whatever somebody like PHE tell them, build in a sizeable delay / margin for error. At best, you say, wow amazing work, we smashed it. At worse, you meet your target.

Its called doing a RyanAir. Never late, because they build in a sizeable delay to every journey to the quoted travel time.
  • guybrush said:
    Also the view of Mark Kermode. Even if Willis himself disagrees. But then he is just an actor. :)
    I have never watched Die Hard and not been in a Cinema for more than 40 years

The pianist at the front? Gone now.....
    Not far off
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963

So we are going to now disadvantage the UK in winning medals all in the name of diversity. The UK is never going to come close to winning an Olympic medal in things like basketball.

The whole reason the UK has had a series of successful Olympics is exactly because the concentration of funding sports where we are truly worldclass and that funding can make the difference between a medal and not....the South Korean approach.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/18/basketball-surfing-and-skateboarding-get-extra-in-olympic-funding-round

Really we should put all funding into swimming and finding the freakiest human mutants possible - there's so many swimming medals at stake you can get very high in the tables on that alone, particularly as most rank by gold medals, not total medals.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,858

Vaccine update:

Mrs P's 88 year old father, who was given an appointment for his first Covid shot next Tuesday, was called by the GP practice today and told the appointment was going to be rearranged for after Christmas, date tbc. ☹️

The irony is that the government's approach to vaccine was genuinely world beating.
    PB Tories are going to have yet another promise that has aged badly just days later, it seems.

They support a lemon of a Government
    Easter is a long long way away. Maybe wait a while before describing the vaccination program as a failure?

Vaccine update:

Its called doing a RyanAir. Never late, because they build in a sizeable delay to every journey to the quoted travel time.
    That seems like it should not be legal. Like phony recommended retailing prices so a 'sale' shows a big drop.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,407
    edited December 2020

Vaccine update:

The overpromise was totally unnecessary. I don't know why they haven't learned yet, whatever somebody like PHE tell them, build in a sizeable delay / margin for error. At best, you say, wow amazing work, we smashed it. At worse, you meet your target.

They genuinely thought every GP surgery was homogenous (on a physical building level) which is one of the logistical issues, I mean who thinks having a bunch of OAPs stood outside surgeries in the winter would be a good idea?
  • Vaccine update:

PB Tories are going to have yet another promise that has aged badly just days later, it seems.

Easter is a long long way away. Maybe wait a while before describing the vaccination program as a failure?
    Replace Tory for Labour and you'd be here attacking them
  • On this Government's record we can expect very few houses to be built, FTTP coverage to be low and the economy to be in a mess.

Such is the record of a Government that under-delivers on every measure.
    edited December 2020
    kle4 said:

Vaccine update:

That seems like it should not be legal. Like phony recommended retailing prices so a 'sale' shows a big drop.
    As I said a couple of weeks ago, the company behind MyProtein, that is their whole business model.

I also notice more and more brands who target their marketing via social media influencers. The price is never the price, because everybody has a code to give out that gives 30-40-50% off.

I had a business that used affiliates to market, but we never jacked up prices like that or offered affiliates codes with more than ~10% off. Obviously missing a trick on a fake inflated price approach.

Vaccine update:

How come you know so much about what I’d be doing? It’s your relentless negativity about the situation that pisses me off.
  • Vaccine update:

It is a nonsense statement.

Wise to see how it evolves over the next months and when oin 2021 other countries start vaccinating in big numbers

Vaccine update:

They genuinely thought every GP surgery was homogenous (on a physical building level) which is one of the logistical issues, I mean who thinks having a bunch of OAPs stood outside surgeries in the winter would be a good idea?
    Tbf they do that at our surgery for the flu shot.
  • Vaccine update:

How come you know so much about what I’d be doing? It’s your relentless negativity about the situation that pisses me off.
    Because it's obvious.

Vaccine update:

Because it's obvious.
    What is obvious?
  • Vaccine update:

But the flu shot doesn't come with a 15 minute waiting period for reactions.

With flu shots it is in and out.
  • Vaccine update:

Because it's obvious.
    To you maybe

Vaccine update:

I know that, but they still queue up outside in the cold.

Vaccine update:

Is it? They've always made me wait at least 5-10 minutes.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    edited December 2020

Truss appears to have done well with the trade agreements. However, she needs to continue that momentum (or do well in a new role) for her odds and leadership prospects to improve further.

It has come to something when maintaining the trading status quo, a status quo achieved by EU not British negotiators, with a number of countries is seen as some sort of major achievement. Still, we're in the land of the blind these days so she deserves one small cheer for doing what Liam Fox so dismally failed to do. She did not distinguish herself as Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary, however.
    DavidL said:

Burnham seems to have lost his Chief Constable as well as about 80k offences.

Would today be a good day to repost this header from earlier this year?

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/01/17/a-toxic-culture/

Or this - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/10/13/the-tyranny-of-low-expectations/

Yes it would.

We can add this latest police scandal to all the many others there have been over the years. I doubt this will be the last such, no matter how many "lessons" are "learned".

Note that the Chief Constable resigned not because he felt he was at fault or should take responsibility as the man at the top but because he felt he was not the person to take the force through the changes needed. I hope this was said to salve his wounded pride. But I doubt it. The last thing anyone should be worrying about after such a report is the wounded pride of the man at the top.

Will genuinely transform the ease of vaccination. Game changer. Back to normal by early summer.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

Vaccine update:

I know that, but they still queue up outside in the cold.
    And rain. I did anyway last Saturday.

But I am not complaining - quite the opposite. I was pleased to be able to queue outside with the wind at 90 degrees to the line. Too many idiots talkign their heads off and/or not putting masks on till jsut about to go in, or taking them off the instant they went out the door although going close to us.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Vaccine update:

This is not true. You may have to wait 15 minutes after a flu vaccine, depending on your medical history.

Obviously -- in the real world as opposed to TSE-fantasy world -- the waiting is not done in the cold.
  • Will genuinely transform the ease of vaccination. Game changer. Back to normal by early summer.
    You and I have very different definitions of normal. How many unemployed and how much austerity is on the way?

Will genuinely transform the ease of vaccination. Game changer. Back to normal by early summer.
    You and I have very different definitions of normal. How many unemployed and how much austerity is on the way?
    It's pretty unreasonable to expect there to be no significant rise in unemployment. Normal in this context surely means in terms of covid-19 restrictions, not for all impacts of covid-19 to become non-existent.
  • Vaccine update:

This is not true. You may have to wait 15 minutes after a flu vaccine, depending on your medical history.

Obviously -- in the real world as opposed to TSE-fantasy world -- the waiting is not done in the cold.
    I have the annual flu shot, it has always been in and out for me, I guess I'm fortunate I usually have a doctor with me there and back.

I didn't say the waiting is done out in the cold.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823
    Does it say what the new evidence is?

The current virus growth rate in London requires urgent action no matter whether it's due to the new strain or not.
  • Will genuinely transform the ease of vaccination. Game changer. Back to normal by early summer.
    The country cannot get back to addressing the economic crisis until most of the populace are vaccinated

Hopefully that should be possible by the summer
  • Cyclefree said:

Truss appears to have done well with the trade agreements. However, she needs to continue that momentum (or do well in a new role) for her odds and leadership prospects to improve further.

It has come to something when maintaining the trading status quo, a status quo achieved by EU not British negotiators, with a number of countries is seen as some sort of major achievement. Still, we're in the land of the blind these days so she deserves one small cheer for doing what Liam Fox so dismally failed to do. She did not distinguish herself as Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary, however.
    DavidL said:

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/01/17/a-toxic-culture/

Or this - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/10/13/the-tyranny-of-low-expectations/

Yes it would.

We can add this latest police scandal to all the many others there have been over the years. I doubt this will be the last such, no matter how many "lessons" are "learned".

Note that the Chief Constable resigned not because he felt he was at fault or should take responsibility as the man at the top but because he felt he was not the person to take the force through the changes needed. I hope this was said to salve his wounded pride. But I doubt it. The last thing anyone should be worrying about after such a report is the wounded pride of the man at the top.

I guess you're going to be shocked by this story?

Six Hampshire police officers guilty of misconduct over offensive comments

Officers in elite unit were recorded making racist, homophobic and sexist remarks

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/18/six-hampshire-police-officers-guilty-of-misconduct-over-offensive-comments
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,676

kinabalu said:

It is said that humans should live to about 120. You live a full life, keep your marbles, and at around 120, white haired and bearded (not the ladies!), you get very thoughtful and spiritual for a few days, and then at some point just quietly depart physical existence. That's the ideal.

A truly nice vision. I have always fancied toppling off a Cornish clifftop at a great age but I bet if I were to reach that great age I would change my mind. I'd keep putting it off. I probably wouldn't even risk going to Cornwall.
    Peacefully in my sleep in my 90s or later please.

Yes, it'd be a shock to my descendents but I'd rather be in very good health up until then and then not know anything about it.
    I want to die on my 100th birthday and I want my wife to be so upset that she cancels her 21st birthday party as a mark of respect.
    Lonely heart ad of the future:

99 year old corporate lawyer wanted for marriage, must enjoy 20 year old girls and have heart condition. Please send picture of ECG...

• Scott_xP said:
    If they're not armed then they're no navy gunboats

Vaccine update:

I have the annual flu shot, it has always been in and out for me, I guess I'm fortunate I usually have a doctor with me there and back.

The point you made is incorrect (as kle4 has also pointed out).

It is not true that a flu jab is in and out. It depends on your medical history.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,517

Vaccine update:

One of the notable features of NHS planning is that they always assume they have a closed system where patients just appear at the gate. The issues of getting to and from their facilities don’t figure.
  • kle4 said:

It's pretty unreasonable to expect there to be no significant rise in unemployment. Normal in this context surely means in terms of covid-19 restrictions, not for all impacts of covid-19 to become non-existent.
    Tory economic incompetence for the last decade will make it worse than it needed to be, can't blame Labour for that - no doubt they will try.

Hope you're right on getting everyone vaccinated though.

Alright then, back to not wearing a mask, being able hug people, a full ground at the footy/rugby/cricket/darts, popping into the local for a chat, all while being ground down by the relentless oppressive unemployment and national debt. I have every sympathy with anyone who has, is or will suffer in these awful times. It’s horrible. No one wanted this year. But allow people to cheer good news for heavens sake. Or are you too bitter and twisted to even allow that?
  • Vaccine update:

I am the same. My neighbour is the local practice nurse and she says that their normal rate is one patient every 2 minutes during the flu jab campaign. Thy aim to do 150 patients a session at 2 evening sessions per week plus normal practice hours sessions for those who don't want or can't come out in the evenings. Tis is designed to limit the disruption to the normal operation of the surgery.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823
    That's all pennies compared to the costs of the virus. Surprised even Moderna is being reasonable.
  • Vaccine update:

Our surgery asks my wife and I to sit down for ten minutes after our injections - maybe it is an age thing
    Alright then, back to not wearing a mask, being able hug people, a full ground at the footy/rugby/cricket/darts, popping into the local for a chat, all while being ground down by the relentless oppressive unemployment and national debt. I have every sympathy with anyone who has, is or will suffer in these awful times. It’s horrible. No one wanted this year. But allow people to cheer good news for heavens sake. Or are you too bitter and twisted to even allow that?
    I will be very glad if we get lots vaccinated but we will not be back to "normal" for a long time, at least for many. That's all.
  • Is that Boris being handed an open vial of alarming new strain evidence?!
  • Do they mean virulence (as in harmfulness) or its rate of spreading?
    It would be a shame if, after having been first off, we are shown up and overtaken by other countries for dint of their much better organisation.
  • Xmas u-turn incoming????
    Bad news, but almost convenient for him politically in giving him cover with the backbenchers and headlines he seems terrified of, without saying it is all the public's fault for being irresponsible.

I will be very glad if we get lots vaccinated but we will not be back to "normal" for a long time, at least for many. That's all.
    I was clearly referring to the restrictions. I think you see what you want in what others post.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,639

Tres said:

The economy number is much, much better than I anticipated. All down to Rishi's free money.

Just 80% approval for the vaccine? To be fair to Johnson that is ingratious. Probably more by accident than design he has done well with vaccines.
    There are 20% of the population like TSE and Scott_P who will never, ever be gracious enough to acknowledge that Boris could ever do anything even grudgingly worth acknowledging. Even protecting them from a killer pandemic.
    Johnson delenda est.
    Carthago, Carthiginis is a feminine noun. Hence, Carthago delenda est.

Johnson is not. I think you need to check the case ending of your gerundive.😀
    As a proud pleb, I'll settle for the sentiment over accuracy.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,555
    I was clearly referring to the restrictions. I think you see what you want in what others post.
    I misunderstood, apologies then.
  • Vaccine update:

But there's also the fact that people need hope. Vaccinated by Easter gives people hope, it's not that far away and can encourage people to hunker down for winter.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,267
    kle4 said:

So we are going to now disadvantage the UK in winning medals all in the name of diversity. The UK is never going to come close to winning an Olympic medal in things like basketball.

The whole reason the UK has had a series of successful Olympics is exactly because the concentration of funding sports where we are truly worldclass and that funding can make the difference between a medal and not....the South Korean approach.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/18/basketball-surfing-and-skateboarding-get-extra-in-olympic-funding-round

Really we should put all funding into swimming and finding the freakiest human mutants possible - there's so many swimming medals at stake you can get very high in the tables on that alone, particularly as most rank by gold medals, not total medals.
    kle4 said:

Mmm. Full size pools not restricted to private members in every LA area might be a pre-requisite first.

I misunderstood, apologies then.
    Accepted😌👍
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Yes it would.

I guess you're going to be shocked by this story?

Six Hampshire police officers guilty of misconduct over offensive comments

Officers in elite unit were recorded making racist, homophobic and sexist remarks

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/18/six-hampshire-police-officers-guilty-of-misconduct-over-offensive-comments
    Nah. That sort of stuff used to be my normal Monday morning reading or listening material. I've heard, read and seen very much worse.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Do they mean virulence (as in harmfulness) or its rate of spreading?
    Transmissibility.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,509
    IanB2 said:

It would be a shame if, after having been first off, we are shown up and overtaken by other countries for dint of their much better organisation.

Wouldn't it just.

Tres said:

Tres said:

The economy number is much, much better than I anticipated. All down to Rishi's free money.

Just 80% approval for the vaccine? To be fair to Johnson that is ingratious. Probably more by accident than design he has done well with vaccines.
    There are 20% of the population like TSE and Scott_P who will never, ever be gracious enough to acknowledge that Boris could ever do anything even grudgingly worth acknowledging. Even protecting them from a killer pandemic.
    Johnson delenda est.
    Carthago, Carthiginis is a feminine noun. Hence, Carthago delenda est.

Johnson is not. I think you need to check the case ending of your gerundive.😀
    As a proud pleb, I'll settle for the sentiment over accuracy.
    But surely your rhetoric is much more potent if the listener doesn't stop dead mentally when the words don't have the same and consistent gender? It's like reading "An example is the trains on the East Coast line". The listener or reader is too busy to work out what has gone wrong to be stunned by your oratory as a tribune of the plebs. the Gracchi and C. Julius Caesar would never have disdained to get their genders straight.
    edited December 2020
    Classic Boris reactive decision....he if had cancelled Christmas Monday, he would have got some credit, now the PR looks terrible and captain hindsight will be along to say told you so. I did joke about him doing this on the 23rd...
  • IanB2 said:

However much of a shame it would be, I'm sure some would only find glee in reporting whom they would blame.

Xmas u-turn incoming????

Ghost of Christmas Future got in early this year I think.
  • Cyclefree said:

Yet we were continually told on PB that replicating the EU trade deals would be impossible.

Not to mention that replicating those deals is only the first step - you can then look to build and improve upon them.

Its not as if we need to worry about the interests of olive oil producers any more for example.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Transmissibility.
    Thanks.

I guess 2020 aint done with us yet. :disappointed:
  • IanB2 said:

However much of a shame it would be, I'm sure some would only find glee in reporting whom they would blame.
    When the Boris haters (in which I include all non tories and all against Brexit) smugly report on their perceived failings of the government on anything Covid or Brexit related, is that a kind of schadenfreude?
    edited December 2020
    Boris is totally the wrong leader for this time. Putting aside his personal failing of laziness etc, his core instincts arr wrong, that of liberty and to his core against the idea of locking people down and restricting their freedoms.

People say Boris is a popularist and he is, but on COVID time and time again the polls show the popular opinion is lock us down, yesterday (as long as you pay us)....and time and time again Boris chooses the, no lets wait a bit longer
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Interesting.
    I'm planning an article on why Labour may never win again.

Yes, I remember all the commentators saying in the summer of 1992 the Conservatives were the natural party of Government and Labour the natural party of Opposition.

One Telegraph piece envisaged John Major still being PM in 2001 having won his third General Election.

Remind me what happened in 1997?

What happened in 1997?
    I did my A Levels.
    I got my doctorate, and a job in Sydney.
    edited December 2020

Cyclefree said:

Yet we were continually told on PB that replicating the EU trade deals would be impossible.

Not to mention that replicating those deals is only the first step - you can then look to build and improve upon them.

Its not as if we need to worry about the interests of olive oil producers any more for example.
    [deleted - just too angry that copying exactly the same as before is aeen as a truimph after years and years of sitting on their collective thumbs]
  • kle4 said:

Bad news, but almost convenient for him politically in giving him cover with the backbenchers and headlines he seems terrified of, without saying it is all the public's fault for being irresponsible.
    More infectious is a better way of describing this than more virulent imho.
  • It might be interesting to know where this new strain of covid originated.

I do hope we haven't imported it for the third time.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,145

Infectiousness, so far there's no evidence that it's more deadly or vaccine resistant.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2020
    eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Interesting.

Yes, I remember all the commentators saying in the summer of 1992 the Conservatives were the natural party of Government and Labour the natural party of Opposition.

One Telegraph piece envisaged John Major still being PM in 2001 having won his third General Election.

What happened in 1997?
    I did my A Levels.
    I am not surprised whatsoever you're a smart person, it suits your writing style.
  • Classic Boris reactive decision....he if had cancelled Christmas Monday, he would have got some credit, now the PR looks terrible and captain hindsight will be along to say told you so. I did joke about him doing this on the 23rd...

Surely more likely (and more productive) to have a January lockdown from the 27th?

If you're going to have a lockdown then implement it before NYE.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341

kinabalu said:

It is said that humans should live to about 120. You live a full life, keep your marbles, and at around 120, white haired and bearded (not the ladies!), you get very thoughtful and spiritual for a few days, and then at some point just quietly depart physical existence. That's the ideal.

A truly nice vision. I have always fancied toppling off a Cornish clifftop at a great age but I bet if I were to reach that great age I would change my mind. I'd keep putting it off. I probably wouldn't even risk going to Cornwall.
    Peacefully in my sleep in my 90s or later please.

Yes, it'd be a shock to my descendents but I'd rather be in very good health up until then and then not know anything about it.
    I want to die on my 100th birthday and I want my wife to be so upset that she cancels her 21st birthday party as a mark of respect.
    You are SeanT and I claim my 5 pounds
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,145
    Time to cancel this 5 day free pass. It's going to result in so many unnecessary hospitalisations and deaths.
  • So what's your view on Burnham, Jarvis etc wanting to reduce current restrictions in northern England ?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,284
    "How Iceland hammered COVID with science

The tiny island nation brought huge scientific heft to its attempts to contain and study the coronavirus. Here’s what it learnt."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03284-3
  • kle4 said:

More infectious but less dangerous wouldn't be a bad combination.

Though the vulnerable would have to be told to shield while its spreading.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,512
    kle4 said:

Vaccine update:

Is it? They've always made me wait at least 5-10 minutes.
    I bearly stopped walking.
  • So what's your view on Burnham, Jarvis etc wanting to reduce current restrictions in northern England ?
    Wrong, the entire UK should lock down together.
  • MaxPB said:

Time to cancel this 5 day free pass. It's going to result in so many unnecessary hospitalisations and deaths.

What an f*ing mess. Yet again Johnson and co have made an epic balls up.

• MaxPB said:

Maybe time for the four nations to limit Christmas to no more than 3 days and to only gather with close family - no distance travel
    edited December 2020
    UK Sport decisions on funding for Paris 2024 signal a move towards greater diversity and winning "the right way", says chair Dame Katherine Grainger.

Paris 2024: UK Sport funding decisions signals shift towards greater diversity and winning 'the right way' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/55371552

Better get ready to back to the bad old days of UK winnig bugger all then....because elite sport you don't win "the right way", you win because of talent, dedication and utter single minded ruthlessness to be the best.

The Americans, the Chinese, the Australians won't be worrying about niceties. To win at most Olympic sports in the modern era the margins are absolutely tiny.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Interesting.

What happened in 1997?
    I did my A Levels.
    I left New York on 31 August to return to live in London, arriving early the morning of 1 September to a news shitstorm.
  • It is time for Johnson to show some leadership and stop running away.

Cancel the advice and tell everyone to stay at home.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,996
    MaxPB said:

Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I get the sense that people might be having second thoughts about Christmas. Think of it like a late swing back to the government as election day approaches.
  • Seem to be a lot of journos with the same exclusive.
    Andy_JS said:

"How Iceland hammered COVID with science

The tiny island nation brought huge scientific heft to its attempts to contain and study the coronavirus. Here’s what it learnt."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03284-3

A very interesting article. Notice the two usual suspects amongs the parade of villains...

1. "The World Health Organization had just announced that an estimated 3.4% of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 would die — a shockingly high fatality rate, some 30 times larger than that for seasonal influenza.There was a problem with that estimate, however: it was based on reported cases of COVID-19, rather than all cases, including mild and asymptomatic infections. “I couldn’t figure out how they could calculate it out without knowing the spread of the virus,” recalls Stefánsson"

The WHO has been disgracefully poor. It needs to be reconstituted from scratch to make it competent.

2. "On 28 February, a man returning from a skiing holiday in northeastern Italy tested positive for the virus. Within a week, the number of cases had climbed from 1 to 47, the opening notes of a coming crescendo..."

It was the fucking skiers, as usual, who infected the country.
  • MaxPB said:

What an f*ing mess. Yet again Johnson and co have made an epic balls up.

People are bored of covid.

They're going to meet whether allowed to or not.
  • kle4 said:

More infectious but less dangerous wouldn't be a bad combination.

Though the vulnerable would have to be told to shield while its spreading.
    iirc virus have a tendency to mutate to more infectious but less fatal.
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I get the sense that people might be having second thoughts about Christmas. Think of it like a late swing back to the government as election day approaches.
    How can anyone swing toward the government when no-one knows where it is standing and where it is standing now won’t be where it is standing tomorrow?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,574
    IanB2 said:

It would be a great shame, considering our centrally organised top down health service model. Poor outcomes for cancer etc. is one thing - not being able to get identical jabs in arms is quite another. If it can't do that, what's it for?
  • I think we should set up antiCovidiot Patrols. During my 15 minute walk to the shops and back earlier I encountered 7 groups of fools. 2 groups of kids, around ten in each group, outdoors but stood about a foot between them and blocking pathways through a garden. 4 I presume family groups of 3-5 walking side by side along the pavement, filling its width without masks and shouting to each other. 1 group of I think three families stood outside the main entrance/exit shouting to each other without masks and in the way of everybody else.

I would have loved to have had some official antiCovidiot Patrol power that I could have harangued them, photographed them, and shamed them with.
  • It is time for Johnson to show some leadership and stop running away.

Cancel the advice and tell everyone to stay at home.

You do know he cannot do that don't you

England yes but it is not in his remit in Scotland, Wales and NI

It would have to be a four nation unanimous decision
This discussion has been closed.